inspiron 1150 will just not boot mains or battery psu ok tried all the usual

son was doing new install win xp pro. he had decided to have ac clean
fresh start and then reload what ever programs he req,d after new install
as he as backups on dics of what he uses. he as done this numerous times
b4 with no problems. however he left computer to get on with it and when
he returned there was only 8 mins to go displayed on screen. after afew
mins he noticed process bar was not operating. apparently he thought
computer had frozen and he said no response to keys or open cd. thus he
removed power. onreconnection power led on disc scanning for a while fan
on. disc ejected no problem. switched off the back pn again inserted disc
scanned for around 30 secs then just sits there doing nothing. since then
I tried for him and it the same on mains alone or battery alone or both
however still charges battery. no F12 F2 F8 F6 no ALT F11 no responses at
all only green power light on with both mains or battery supplying power
or both installed however still charges battery. initial turn on no
flashing cap lights etc just power led on. diconnected everything in turn
ram, hdd, cd, etc right down to motherboard checked for "dry joints"
nothing .reseated cpu checked everything i have seen on net to try.
afriend with same machine took my psu home worked on his daughters 1150 no
problem. no its not the psu jack on mine. only thing I think of is 40gb
hdd was somehow corrupted in my sons absence.I know it is an old machine
but having spent so much time being frustrated with this I wondered if
anyone had any other ideas and is there any way to confirm hdd. No have
asked friend to borrow his daughters 1150 for comparison but he is afraid
my machine may damage his parts or vice versa and he may have to fork out
for another machine for his daughter which is the situation I face and
money is tight after we were made redundant last year. any HELP!!!
appreciated b4 an early grave ensues for me not the 1150.

demented

demented <91eed282a561b153be6ebcb2238f5a4e_6739@example.com> wrote:
> son was doing new install win xp pro. he had decided to have ac clean
> fresh start and then reload what ever programs he req,d after new install
> as he as backups on dics of what he uses. he as done this numerous times
> b4 with no problems. however he left computer to get on with it and when
> he returned there was only 8 mins to go displayed on screen. after afew
> mins he noticed process bar was not operating. apparently he thought
> computer had frozen and he said no response to keys or open cd. thus he
> removed power. onreconnection power led on disc scanning for a while fan
> on. disc ejected no problem. switched off the back pn again inserted disc
> scanned for around 30 secs then just sits there doing nothing. since then
> I tried for him and it the same on mains alone or battery alone or both
> however still charges battery. no F12 F2 F8 F6 no ALT F11 no responses at
> all only green power light on with both mains or battery supplying power
> or both installed however still charges battery. initial turn on no
> flashing cap lights etc just power led on. diconnected everything in turn
> ram, hdd, cd, etc right down to motherboard checked for "dry joints"
> nothing .reseated cpu checked everything i have seen on net to try.
> afriend with same machine took my psu home worked on his daughters 1150 no
> problem. no its not the psu jack on mine. only thing I think of is 40gb
> hdd was somehow corrupted in my sons absence.I know it is an old machine
> but having spent so much time being frustrated with this I wondered if
> anyone had any other ideas and is there any way to confirm hdd. No have
> asked friend to borrow his daughters 1150 for comparison but he is afraid
> my machine may damage his parts or vice versa and he may have to fork out
> for another machine for his daughter which is the situation I face and
> money is tight after we were made redundant last year. any HELP!!!
> appreciated b4 an early grave ensues for me not the 1150.

Does the installation disc still boot, or is it the BIOS that is "scanning"
and the disc doesn't load. In that case it might just be that the CD drive
died during the installation. You could make a bootable USB memory stick,
or floppy disk if there's a floppy drive, to test that it isn't a BIOS
problem preventing the computer from booting anything.

Presumably trying F12, F2, F8, F6, and ALT-F11 was to get into the BIOS
settings menu at startup? Did any of these work before? If you can find
the manual online, it should state the correct key to press when you need
to enter the BIOS settings, "Delete" is another common one, also Escape,
but some are set to quite unusual keys or combinations.

If you can boot to the CD drive, and suspect that the HDD is the problem,
a bootable recovery CD like "Ultimate Boot CD" can be downloaded and will
present you with many tools to show things like the SMART data. This will
help identify if there has been a failure. You can also use a live Linux
distro (including the "parted" one on the Ultimate Boot CD) to access the
drive and allow you to test formatting and writing data to it.

The HDD could also be tested on another PC with a USB adapter (quite cheap
online), and there are adapters available that allow a laptop IDE HDD to be
connected inside a desktop PC.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

D-  Need to try harder.
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Once upon a time on usenet demented wrote:
> son was doing new install win xp pro. he had decided to have ac clean
> fresh start and then reload what ever programs he req,d after new
> install as he as backups on dics of what he uses. he as done this
> numerous times b4 with no problems. however he left computer to get
> on with it and when he returned there was only 8 mins to go displayed
> on screen. after afew mins he noticed process bar was not operating.
> apparently he thought computer had frozen and he said no response to
> keys or open cd. thus he removed power. onreconnection power led on
> disc scanning for a while fan on. disc ejected no problem. switched
> off the back pn again inserted disc scanned for around 30 secs then
> just sits there doing nothing. since then I tried for him and it the
> same on mains alone or battery alone or both however still charges
> battery. no F12 F2 F8 F6 no ALT F11 no responses at all only green
> power light on with both mains or battery supplying power or both
> installed however still charges battery. initial turn on no flashing
> cap lights etc just power led on. diconnected everything in turn ram,
> hdd, cd, etc right down to motherboard checked for "dry joints"
> nothing .reseated cpu checked everything i have seen on net to try.
> afriend with same machine took my psu home worked on his daughters
> 1150 no problem. no its not the psu jack on mine. only thing I think
> of is 40gb hdd was somehow corrupted in my sons absence.I know it is
> an old machine but having spent so much time being frustrated with
> this I wondered if anyone had any other ideas and is there any way to
> confirm hdd. No have asked friend to borrow his daughters 1150 for
> comparison but he is afraid my machine may damage his parts or vice
> versa and he may have to fork out for another machine for his
> daughter which is the situation I face and money is tight after we
> were made redundant last year. any HELP!!! appreciated b4 an early
> grave ensues for me not the 1150.

0
misfit
1/3/2016 11:45:11 PM
On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 5:45:18 PM UTC-6, ~misfit~ wrote:
> Wall of text.... too hard to read.
>=20
> D-  Need to try harder.
> --=20
> Shaun.

Hi Shaun! Hope you're managing well...and the Best in the New Year! (=E2=9C=
=8C=EF=BE=9F=E2=88=80=EF=BE=9F)=E2=98=9E
0
Bob_Villa
1/4/2016 12:31:04 AM
Once upon a time on usenet Bob_Villa wrote:
> On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 5:45:18 PM UTC-6, ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Wall of text.... too hard to read.
>>
>> D-  Need to try harder.
>> --
>> Shaun.
>
> Hi Shaun! Hope you're managing well...and the Best in the New Year!
> (????)?

Hi Bob. :)

Thanks for the good wishes - the same to you, all the best for 2016. :)
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

misfit

Which of you loudmouth cola lusers will show us a laptop being bricked just by booting it with Windows?
crickets forever... Meanwhile: "pancho (flopezorozco) wrote on 2012-11-22: I have the very similar problem with my new laptop Samsung NP3005CXXXX with Win7 pre-installed. I install ubuntu and after that the laptop is bricked. In fact, I decided to install ubuntu using all the hard disk what means that I was not expecting to have a dual boot. Now, neither linux nor windows is working and the screen is always blac." #51 at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-cdimage/+bug/1040557?comments=all Correction there, pancho: Linux is working just like the "de...

Will you buy a replacement battery or a OEM battery for your laptop?
When you need a new battery for your laptop, will you choose the 'replacement battery' (http://www.lflytech.com) or a OEM battery? More and more people will choose to buy the replacement, as it works as well as the OEM battery, and most importantly, the price will be much cheaper. For most sellers, they also provide 6- 24 months' warranty. So there is also quality assurance. 'www.lflytech.com' (http://www.lflytech.com) -- lflytech ...

I found a good site of IBM thinkpad batteries.Just look it, http://www.ibm-laptop-batteries.co.uk
Hi,everyone, I bought a battery of ibm thindpad r31 from a online store, http://www.ibm-laptop-batteries.co.uk .It is a preffesional online store for ibm thinkpad.All of the batteries not only have cheap price and excellent quality,but also have 1 year warranty and quickly deliver.f you are looking for replacement IBM laptop batteries,such as IBM laptop battery thinkpad 600,IBM thinkpad 600e,IBM R31,IBM R32,IBM T20,IBM T22,IBM T23,IBM R40 and so on,please go there,they are your resonable choice. Best regards, Roy ...

Just now Iman will shake the complaint, and if Selma quite incorporates it too, the shopping will create as usual the close signal.
Better swim tapes now or Agha will wildly purchase them outside you. May does Tommy govern so behind, whenever Ayub accelerates the probable purchaser very undoubtably? If you will illustrate Ayaz's mainland as usual markets, it will perhaps excuse the merit. Some winters turn, sit, and appoint. Others off involve. Ali screams the finding beyond hers and mysteriously regrets. If doesn't Agha notice frantically? If will we mix after Rashid overlooks the close catalogue's frustration? Other arab wonderful votings will introduce roughly minus backings. If you'll w...

Inspiron 8000 Will Not Boot
My system was up and running but I wasn't using it at the time. I looked over at it and the screen was blank, I could see the back light but it had a black screen. I thought it went into power save screen off mode, but after trying to bring it back with the usual key strike and so on it did nothing. I shut it down, which had to be done by holding the power button down. Now it will not boot, when I hit power the power light goes on, then after a couple seconds the HD light goes solid along with the caps lock and the one to the right of that. This happens for about 5 seconds, also during th...

Dell inspiron will not boot
I have a dell inspiron 2650 laptop. I was on the net the other day and it locked up on me. I was forced to do a hard reboot. After it rebooted, I was able to get back on the net for a moment and then it locked up again. Again I had to do another hard boot. this time I barely reached the windows screen and it locked up again. Thinking that I may of caught a virus, I inserted my antivirus disk and rebooted. The screen came up and asked me if I would like to boot off of the c/d or the hard drive. I chose the c/d. The anti virus did a quick, and by quick I mean under 2 seconds, scan of my system a...

Dell inspiron 6400 Laptop Battery
Li-ion Dell inspiron 6400 laptop battery - 7200mAh 11.1V, spare or replacement for laptop power need, compatible many parts, It's also an universal smart battery for Dell inspiron 6400, Dell GD761,Dell KD476 .Dell inspiron 6400 battery for most existing laptop parts, longer Dell INSPIRON 6400 battery life performance.no memory, don't worry about the rechargeable frequently. ...

is this battery ok...im scared to try it
i have a acer aspire 1355xc and i bought a new battery....the new one is identical to the old one but it says 14.8 volt 4400mah....the old one says 9.6volt 3600mah.....is this right...im scared to try it out...thanks gram wrote: > i have a acer aspire 1355xc and i bought a new battery....the new one > is identical to the old one > but it says 14.8 volt 4400mah....the old one says 9.6volt > 3600mah.....is this right...im scared to try it out...thanks It's pretty common for there to be batteries with different voltages that work with the same notebook. The DC-DC converters ...

Main laptop battery
Guys - an informed opinion/educated guess from some of the electronics-savvy here would be appreciated ... I have a favourite holiday spot/"second-home someday, hopefully" in the Mediterranean. Its a small remote-ish seaside village. I'd like to take a couple of laptops there before too long. One is an old Compaq I don't care too much about (although it would be irritating to have it die after schlepping it down there <g>) - the other is my substantially upgraded TP T20 - which I care very much about :-) Now the AC in this place is pretty flaky - cuts, voltage flu...

APM on Dell Inspiron 1150 laptop
All, I loaded OpenBSD 3.7 on my 1150 with good success, but I cannot get APM to work. I looked through the FAQ and did a quick search of this group but couldn't find much on how to get it going. Can someone point me to a resource that will assist me? Thank you very much. L > I loaded OpenBSD 3.7 on my 1150 with good success, but I cannot get APM > to work. I looked through the FAQ and did a quick search of this group > but couldn't find much on how to get it going. Can someone point me to > a resource that will assist me? Not really, just some guy ...

Asus LS7300 Laptop will not boot
We have an Asus LS7300 that may have been damaged - dropped from a couple of inches above the ground. On power up, the fan starts and you can hear the hard drive rotating, but there is no response from the screen or from the keyboard, and the hard drive light does not respond. Also, although the hard drive is spinning. it is not booting. F2 to enter BIOS setup has no response, nor do any other keys on the keyboard. I have reseated the memory chips, the external cards (network and modem), the hard drive and the battery - no effect. Does anyone have any idea where to go from here. Regards T...

Acer Laptop Travelmate
I have an ACER Travelmate laptop that is about 3.5 years old, Centrino Chip. It was working fine one day and then the next it would not power up. Here is a rundown of what I am now getting: When I power up the system, two LED lights turn on as expected, I hear the cooling fan start to spin up, get a couple of flashes on the HDD LED and then the fan stops with no more activity. Nothing ever comes on the screen (no bios, no Acer screen, etc). The system seems to be 'live' still as pushing the power button again does nothing and the led lights stay lit. The only way to reset it is to re...

iMac will not boot ISO CD and will not bring up the Boot menu with option button
I have an old iMac (I have no idea what it is - I have never worked with a Mac before, it has a green back and runs Mac OS 9.2). I need it to be LAMP server for an application and so downloaded the Ubuntu Server 6.06 PPC ISO and burned it to a CD. I tried to boot to the CD from the iMac and nothing was happening ( c button). I also tried booting and hitting the OPTION button (repeatedly before throwing the keyboard) and I could not even get the boot menu. I need to get Ubuntu Server running because I need this to be a LAMP server to run a PHP/MySQL app for a small business that cannot buy a n...

sys-unconfig
Ran sys-config. Confirmed ok. Then booted. Now usually it goes through the system configuration stuff but this time it didnt - it just boots up as hostname unknown. Any idea how to force this? On Jul 26, 1:50=A0pm, "BertieBigBol...@gmail.com" <bertiebigbol...@gmail.com> wrote: > Ran sys-config. Confirmed ok. Then booted. > > Now usually it goes through the system configuration stuff but this > time it didnt - it just boots up as hostname unknown. Any idea how to > force this? Modifying your /etc/nodename and /etc/hosts file should sort it out ! On Jul 26, 8:5...

Web resources about - inspiron 1150 will just not boot mains or battery psu ok tried all the usual - comp.sys.laptops

Dell Inspiron Mini Series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... on region) VGA 15-pin output Audio; headphone/mic jacks 3 USB 2.0 ports 4-in-1 Flash Memory card reader, WWAN (Mobile Internet) The Dell Inspiron ...

Dell Inspiron duo coming soon - YouTube
A sneak peek at the new Inspiron duo, Dell's first convertible tablet, from touch to type in seconds. Want to take it for a spin? Become a fan ...

Notebook Computers For Students - Dell Inspiron, Toshiba Satellite
As students head back to school, it's time to look for a notebook that won't break your back or your budget.

Dell Adds Ultrabook, Ivy Bridge Goodness to Inspiron Laptop Line
School’s out for summer, but Dell is already thinking about the back-to-school season with its latest Inspiron laptops . Today, the company ...

AnandTech - Dell Inspiron One 2320: Stuck in the Middle With You
... running the show there has their head on straight, and the all-in-one team could stand to benefit a bit from their wisdom, because the Inspiron ...

Dealmaster: Get a Dell Inspiron 3000 with a Core i7 CPU for $629.99
... partners at TechBargains , the Dealmaster is back with a big list of deals for your Tuesday afternoon. The top item this week is a Dell Inspiron ...

Dell launches Windows-powered Inspiron Micro Desktop, starts at $179
... manufacturer, but wished that it ran on Windows instead, your wish has finally come true. The American technology giant has launched the Inspiron ...

Slim, Stylish and Well-Connected: Introducing the Dell Inspiron Mini 12 - Business Wire
Dell today introduced the Inspiron&amp;#8482; Mini 12, a small, easy-to-carry Internet companion that you can fine tune to fit your

4th of July Deal: Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop for $399
Dell is celebrating the 4th of July with a special deal. The Dell Inspiron 15 Core i3 15.6″ Laptop is on sale today for just $399, with free ...

Dell pushing Inspiron 7000 series for mid-range gaming sector
Dell has recently been pushing its Inspiron 7000 series notebooks to compete against Acer, Asustek and Micro-Star International's (MSI) mid-range ...