Laptop power on Delta Flight - IBM Laptop

Hi, i will be travelling internationally and just wanted to find out
which adapter would be compatible with the airline power system. I will
be taking a Delta flight Boeing 777-200. As per seatguru.com all seats
do have inseat power but can't seem to find out for certain which
adapter would be compatible. Delta uses the Empower system. I am
looking at a couple of targus adapters however am not sure if I should
get the 75W or the 90W. Is there a difference on the plane? Would the
90W adapter work if the Delta power system is only 75W? thx

0
netkid12 (3)

<netkid12@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi, i will be travelling internationally and just wanted to find out
> which adapter would be compatible with the airline power system. I will
> be taking a Delta flight Boeing 777-200. As per seatguru.com all seats
> do have inseat power but can't seem to find out for certain which
> adapter would be compatible. Delta uses the Empower system. I am
> looking at a couple of targus adapters however am not sure if I should
> get the 75W or the 90W. Is there a difference on the plane? Would the
> 90W adapter work if the Delta power system is only 75W? thx

If the adapter fits then it wouldn't matter.  Watts is the result of the
voltage available and the current that your laptop draws.

The power rating is a max, not necessarily what it will draw.  You will
only draw the power that you need.  So get the 90w adapter unless there
is a huge price difference.  [to use less power, don't actually use the
laptop and charge the battery at the same time].  The worst case
scenario is that you blow a fuse in the seat power socket.

netkid12@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi, i will be travelling internationally and just wanted to find out
> which adapter would be compatible with the airline power system. I will
> be taking a Delta flight Boeing 777-200. As per seatguru.com all seats
> do have inseat power but can't seem to find out for certain which
> adapter would be compatible. Delta uses the Empower system. I am
> looking at a couple of targus adapters however am not sure if I should
> get the 75W or the 90W. Is there a difference on the plane? Would the
> 90W adapter work if the Delta power system is only 75W? thx

0
WatzmanNOSPAM (5711)
11/6/2006 11:33:00 PM
Barry Watzman wrote:

> The power rating is a max, not necessarily what it will draw.  You will
> only draw the power that you need.  So get the 90w adapter unless there
> is a huge price difference.  [to use less power, don't actually use the
> laptop and charge the battery at the same time].  The worst case
> scenario is that you blow a fuse in the seat power socket.
>
> <snip>

Where is the fuse/breaker located?

The cockpit? The cabin?

Just curious!

Notan
0
notan1 (354)
11/6/2006 11:57:17 PM
"Notan" <notan@ddress.thatcanbespammed> wrote in message
> Barry Watzman wrote:
>>
>> The power rating is a max, not necessarily what it will draw.  You will
>> only draw the power that you need.  So get the 90w adapter unless there
>> is a huge price difference.  [to use less power, don't actually use the
>> laptop and charge the battery at the same time].  The worst case
>> scenario is that you blow a fuse in the seat power socket.
>>
>> <snip>
>
> Where is the fuse/breaker located?
>
> The cockpit? The cabin?
>
> Just curious!
>
> Notan

If you smell something bad under you seat it means you're drawing too much power.

Adam

Don't know; probably there is one in each seat itself.  It might be a
self-resetting circuit breaker.

Notan wrote:
> Barry Watzman wrote:
>> The power rating is a max, not necessarily what it will draw.  You will
>> only draw the power that you need.  So get the 90w adapter unless there
>> is a huge price difference.  [to use less power, don't actually use the
>> laptop and charge the battery at the same time].  The worst case
>> scenario is that you blow a fuse in the seat power socket.
>>
>> <snip>
>
> Where is the fuse/breaker located?
>
> The cockpit? The cabin?
>
> Just curious!
>
> Notan
0
WatzmanNOSPAM (5711)
11/7/2006 3:51:24 AM
Adam Helberg wrote:

> "Notan" <notan@ddress.thatcanbespammed> wrote in message
> > Barry Watzman wrote:
> >>
> >> The power rating is a max, not necessarily what it will draw.  You will
> >> only draw the power that you need.  So get the 90w adapter unless there
> >> is a huge price difference.  [to use less power, don't actually use the
> >> laptop and charge the battery at the same time].  The worst case
> >> scenario is that you blow a fuse in the seat power socket.
> >>
> >> <snip>
> >
> > Where is the fuse/breaker located?
> >
> > The cockpit? The cabin?
> >
> > Just curious!
> >
> > Notan
>
> If you smell something bad under you seat it means you're drawing too much power.

I always wrote that off to bad burritos, just before the flight! <g>

Notan
0
notan1 (354)
11/7/2006 3:06:16 PM
Notan wrote:
> Adam Helberg wrote:
>> "Notan" <notan@ddress.thatcanbespammed> wrote in message

>>> Where is the fuse/breaker located?
>>>
>>> The cockpit? The cabin?
>>>
>>> Just curious!
>>>
>>> Notan
>> If you smell something bad under you seat it means you're drawing too much power.
>
> I always wrote that off to bad burritos, just before the flight! <g>
>
> Notan
Either you are very optimistic, or you are travelling First/Business.
The problem is not, assuming it is here, the inseat power, but the angle
the fellow seating in front of you can recline. As for the smell that
could come from under your seat, burritos might be a cause, but not
limited to ... :)

--
John Doue
0
Barry Watzman wrote:

> is a huge price difference.  [to use less power, don't actually use the
> laptop and charge the battery at the same time].  The worst case

It is forbidden to charge the battery on an aircraft. Airline adapters
are supposed to be sensed by the computer.

An example (from an iBook technical ref manual): "The iBook can operate
from a 15-volt power outlet on an airliner, however for safety reasons
the computer will not allowbattery charging. In order for the computer
to detect the connection to airline power, the airline power cable
(available separately) should have a sense resistor of 24.3K ohms
connected between the power plug's shell and ground."

0
zwsdotcom (2776)
11/7/2006 4:15:21 PM
zwsdotcom@gmail.com wrote:
> In order for the computer
> to detect the connection to airline power, the airline power cable
> (available separately) should have a sense resistor of 24.3K ohms
> connected between the power plug's shell and ground."

Thats a pretty long ground wire <g>

Ian Singer

                See my homepage at http://www.iansinger.com
     hosted on http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=10623894
      All genealogy is stored in TMG from http://www.whollygenes.com
    Charts and searching using TNG from http://www.tngsitebuilding.com
    I am near Toronto Canada, can I tell where you are from your reply?
iansinger (136)
11/7/2006 4:59:04 PM
<zwsdotcom@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Barry Watzman wrote:
>
>> is a huge price difference.  [to use less power, don't actually use
>> the laptop and charge the battery at the same time].  The worst case
>
> It is forbidden to charge the battery on an aircraft. Airline adapters
> are supposed to be sensed by the computer.
>
> An example (from an iBook technical ref manual): "The iBook can
> operate from a 15-volt power outlet on an airliner, however for
> safety reasons the computer will not allowbattery charging. In order
> for the computer to detect the connection to airline power, the
> airline power cable (available separately) should have a sense
> resistor of 24.3K ohms connected between the power plug's shell and
> ground."

Wow I didn't know this! I googled this and found this among others:

http://www.seatguru.com/articles/in-seat_laptop_power.php

--
Bill

0
BillW50 (3525)
11/7/2006 5:43:58 PM
That ("It is forbidden to charge the battery on an aircraft") is just
bullshit.  At least in the US.  Many power adapters are generic, the
computer doesn't know what it's being powered from, and there are no
regulations against charging batteries.

zwsdotcom@gmail.com wrote:
> Barry Watzman wrote:
>
>> is a huge price difference.  [to use less power, don't actually use the
>> laptop and charge the battery at the same time].  The worst case
>
> It is forbidden to charge the battery on an aircraft. Airline adapters
> are supposed to be sensed by the computer.
>
> An example (from an iBook technical ref manual): "The iBook can operate
> from a 15-volt power outlet on an airliner, however for safety reasons
> the computer will not allowbattery charging. In order for the computer
> to detect the connection to airline power, the airline power cable
> (available separately) should have a sense resistor of 24.3K ohms
> connected between the power plug's shell and ground."

0
WatzmanNOSPAM (5711)
11/7/2006 9:14:44 PM
Apple may implement that on their own products (perhaps for fear of
liability), but it is absolutely not true that it is forbidden to charge
a battery, nor, in general, is there any way for most laptops .... that
have only a 2-wire interface to the power adapter .... to even know that
they are running on an aircraft.  And since Fellowes, Targus and others
make "generic" Auto/Air adapters that also don't know what computer they
are being used with, it's just not a widely implemented practice.

An argument can be made that perhaps it should be, but on the other
hand, keep in mind that the Sony batteries that were going incindary and
were the cause of all of the recalls were doing so even when not being
charged, even when removed from the laptop and just sitting passively
without even being installed.

> That ("It is forbidden to charge the battery on an aircraft") is just
> bullshit.  At least in the US.  Many power adapters are generic, the
> computer doesn't know what it's being powered from, and there are no
> regulations against charging batteries.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Q: Will my battery charge while I'm plugged in?

A: Don't count on it. Again, because of the limited amount of power draw
per seat, it is possible that your laptop won't get enough power to both
operate and charge. Some airlines, like *Continental Airlines,
specifically state that battery charging is not allowed and ask you to
remove your rechargeable battery from your device*.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.seatguru.com/articles/in-seat_laptop_power.php

--
Bill

0
BillW50 (3525)
11/7/2006 9:32:30 PM
From what I have read, airlines generally only give you 75 watts maximum
and some laptops are smart enough to figure out that they can't charge
and run the laptop at the same time. Thus they won't charge. I don't
know, are there laptops like this?

Also I have read in the quoted link below, that some airlines tell you
that you can't charge batteries on the plane. And ask you to remove the
battery. I also hear tell that the 15VDC power goes out without warning
during takeoffs and landings. Nice while you don't have a battery
installed, eh? Thank goodness for my PDA that runs 2 weeks on a charge.
;)

Bill

> Apple may implement that on their own products (perhaps for fear of
> liability), but it is absolutely not true that it is forbidden to
> charge a battery, nor, in general, is there any way for most laptops
> .... that have only a 2-wire interface to the power adapter .... to
> even know that they are running on an aircraft.  And since Fellowes,
> Targus and others make "generic" Auto/Air adapters that also don't
> know what computer they are being used with, it's just not a widely
> implemented practice.
> An argument can be made that perhaps it should be, but on the other
> hand, keep in mind that the Sony batteries that were going incindary
> and were the cause of all of the recalls were doing so even when not
> being charged, even when removed from the laptop and just sitting
> passively without even being installed.
>

> BillW50 wrote:
>> <zwsdotcom@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> It is forbidden to charge the battery on an aircraft. Airline
>>> adapters are supposed to be sensed by the computer.
>>>
>>> An example (from an iBook technical ref manual): "The iBook can
>>> operate from a 15-volt power outlet on an airliner, however for
>>> safety reasons the computer will not allowbattery charging. In order
>>> for the computer to detect the connection to airline power, the
>>> airline power cable (available separately) should have a sense
>>> resistor of 24.3K ohms connected between the power plug's shell and
>>> ground."
>>
>> Wow I didn't know this! I googled this and found this among others:
>>
>> http://www.seatguru.com/articles/in-seat_laptop_power.php

0
BillW50 (3525)
11/7/2006 9:42:37 PM
netkid12@gmail.com wrote:
> ...travelling internationally...[w/ IBM Laptop]...

the IBM ac/dc power brick 22p9003 puts out 72.8 watts
dc input is a male cigarette lighter plug

0
tpl1 (3)
11/7/2006 11:45:54 PM
zwsdotcom@gmail.com wrote:
> Barry Watzman wrote:
>
>> is a huge price difference.  [to use less power, don't actually use the
>> laptop and charge the battery at the same time].  The worst case
>
> It is forbidden to charge the battery on an aircraft. Airline adapters
> are supposed to be sensed by the computer.

Huh? I've used EmPower and cigarette lighter outlets on planes many
times, and the DC to DC adapter always charges the battery. It's cool
that Apple can use the emPower power directly, without an intervening DC
to DC converter, but on American they don't use emPower.
Keep in mind the following:

1.  The rated output is the MAXIMUM output that the power supply is
rated for.  It probably won't be putting out that much in a typical
situation ... that's "worst case".

2.  If the power supply puts out 72.8 watts, it's input is higher than
that.  For example, if the supply is 75% efficient, and it's putting out
72.8 watts, it's input requirement will be 97 watts.

Tom Lightbody wrote:
> netkid12@gmail.com wrote:
>> ...travelling internationally...[w/ IBM Laptop]...
>
> the IBM ac/dc power brick 22p9003 puts out 72.8 watts
> dc input is a male cigarette lighter plug

0
WatzmanNOSPAM (5711)
11/8/2006 1:30:22 AM
For all commenting about this issue, how many of you have actually done
it? I recently flew home from the UK on American Airlines (coach
class), and I charged my Dell 710m using the original charger and a
DC-to-AC converter plugged into my seat DC source. No problem at all.
No heat or smell. I edited my digital photos I took earlier and watched
DVDs with no issues.  Note that my Dell uses a smart charger which uses
a serial data coding to inform the laptop that it is a "genuine" brick,
hence a general purpose brick from Targus will not charge the battery,
regardless of power source.

Barry Watzman wrote:
> Keep in mind the following:
>
> 1.  The rated output is the MAXIMUM output that the power supply is
> rated for.  It probably won't be putting out that much in a typical
> situation ... that's "worst case".
>
> 2.  If the power supply puts out 72.8 watts, it's input is higher than
> that.  For example, if the supply is 75% efficient, and it's putting out
> 72.8 watts, it's input requirement will be 97 watts.
>

> Tom Lightbody wrote:
> > netkid12@gmail.com wrote:
> >> ...travelling internationally...[w/ IBM Laptop]...
> >
> > the IBM ac/dc power brick 22p9003 puts out 72.8 watts
> > dc input is a male cigarette lighter plug

0
cmdrdata (43)

What to use for laptop laptopping?
My new Toshiba L35 has vents at various places all over the bottom, so I'm reluctant to just put it on my lap. Is there something that everybody uses as a base that's a little more uptown than the piece of plywood I'm using now? Peabody wrote: > My new Toshiba L35 has vents at various places all over the bottom, > so I'm reluctant to just put it on my lap. Is there something that > everybody uses as a base that's a little more uptown than the piece > of plywood I'm using now? Something like this? http://www.xpad4laptop.com/ -- Notan Notan wrot...

Laptop to Laptop by Wireless
Hi Everyone I need some help with a question please? Me and a couple of mates have Wireless Laptops and wanna set up a LAN. Is it possible to do this without going thru a router, kinda like running a "Virtual Router" or something on one laptop and the others connect into it? If it helps we wanna play Civ 3 Conquests Multiplayer, I am pretty sure it either uses TCP/IP. I have set up normal cable networks before at home and have done a quick Google on it to no avail! I have ordered a Netger WGT634UK for the home ready, but this is just if we are at work and wanna have a quick go. ...

laptop to laptop copy???
What is the best software (cable) etc to copy the contents of one laptop to another laptop?? I think it use to be "laplink" very expensive avenue!!! Or Bobs copier! Is there a cheaper way to do it. Will laplink actually copy contents of an older laptop such as Toshiba Satelite 20CDT to a newer laptops such as a P4 Notepad with a 20gig HDD in it ???? Joe ********************************************************** * Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO SYSTEM* * Army MARS PRECEDED by AARS (Army Amateur Radio System) * * Hi State ARMY MARS COORDINA...

Laptop to Laptop by Wireless
Hi Everyone I need some help with a question please? Me and a couple of mates have Wireless Laptops and wanna set up a LAN. Is it possible to do this without going thru a router, kinda like running a "Virtual Router" or something on one laptop and the others connect into it? If it helps we wanna play Civ 3 Conquests Multiplayer, I am pretty sure it either uses TCP/IP. I have set up normal cable networks before at home and have done a quick Google on it to no avail! I have ordered a Netger WGT634UK for the home ready, but this is just if we are at work and wanna have a quick go. ...

laptop not charging, power supply problem or laptop problem?
I have a five year old Compaq Presario M2000 laptop that will not charge or run on ac power anymore. It still powers up fine on battery power, but once the battery runs out, it'll be over... I have had issues in the past with the power connector on this laptop, but was always able to fix the problem by resoldering the connector to the board. This time, no luck. I'm wondering if the power adapter may now be bad. But I hate to spend $40+ on a new power adapter (or more for a universal adapter) without knowing for sure that is the problem. Is there a way to test the power adapter? I...

laptop bag and laptop mouse
i'm looking for a decent uk supplier of a laptop bag, one that looks like a back pack. regular bags have "steal me!" written all over it. I'm also looking for an optical mouse, they are slightly smaller and some have retractable leads some are wireless some are bluetooth. advice please. -- Ian Lincoln Independent I.T Consultant Deathwalker <ian-lincoln@blueyonder.co.ukspam> wrote: > i'm looking for a decent uk supplier of a laptop bag, one that looks like a > back pack. regular bags have "steal me!" written all over it. I'm also > l...

Laptop Lottery
www.urhookup.com is sponsoring a Laptop Lottery. One winner will walk away with a new Sony Vaio K14 Laptop. Check out the site for details. Officially starts Aug 1st, but selling tickets effective now. Each ticket is $1.00 - No limit on how many. Drawing held at Rgate Lutherin Church by Pastor Bradley & the winner (if not present) will be notified that afternoon. UrHookUp.com, Inc. "Come Get Hooked Up!" www.urhookup.com ...

Laptop to Laptop by Wireless #2
[...]

Laptop-to-laptop Ethernet connection
Sometimes I take train with my spouse. I have a Linux laptop and a Sierra 597E "wireless broadband" card. This card works great with Linux, its maker Sierra contributes to the Linux kernel, and I basically have a well working internet while on train. The question concerns the second laptop -- my wife's. What I would like is to connect it to my laptop via Ethernet, and have her laptop use my laptop as a "gateway". My question is, can I directly connect them. I think that some pairs in Ethernet cable are somehow twisted, making a direct connection from computer to co...

LG laptops and laptop keyboards
Hello folks. I am considering an LG laptop (W1pro) and have read in their website they have an "ER" keyboard with enhanced tactile sensation. Anyone has any experience with this? How would you rate LG laptop keyboards against other laptop keyboards? Any personal experience with this brand of laptops? Thank you in advance ...

New Low Power Laptop & Disappearance of Laptops with Floppy Drives
New Low Power Laptop & Disappearance of Laptops with Floppy Drives CJE Micro's is pleased to announc the launch of the new Clevo M450 C. The M450 uses the Celeron M320 a low power 'Mobile' processor for extended battery life. 15" TFT LCD (1024 x 768) Celeron M 320 (1.3MHz) 64MB Shared graphics Internal card reader (no floppy drive) DVD / CDRW Combo drive 256MB DDR 2700 40GB HDD Wireless 802.11G XP Home VRPC-SE 960 GBP inc VAT Optional upgrade to a Pentium M (1.3MHz) Processor and an 8x DVD writer dual format for only 100 GBP. Faster 'mobile' processors available...

Laptop
ntpd seems to require a constant internet connection (although as far as I can see this is never explicitly stated). But what about a computer, which is only occasionally (on average once a day) connected to the internet, and for a few minutes (5 minutes on average)? Can ntpd be used in this case? If yes, what paramters have to be set in ntp.conf? If no, are there any programs available to handle this? In case it is relevant, here some more details: iBook G4 with Mac OS X 10.4.5 ntpd -f /var/run/ntp.drift -p /var/run/ntpd.pid /etc/ntp.conf = "server time.asia.apple.com minpol...

laptop
hi I would like to get a new laptop to run solidworks. I am looking for 15.4" screen, under 8 lbs and of course under $2500. recomendations? anyone running without an approved video card with good results? I also would like to know which lcd to go with? wuxga? wsxga? wxga? right now carrying around 17" alienware to customers, too heavy, too short battery life, too expensive. thanks greif Reply Sorry it didn't work out for you. Would you like to offload the Alienware cheap? I've got it's cousin the Hypersonic, and it's not light, but it blows the doors ...

Web resources about - Laptop power on Delta Flight - IBM Laptop - comp.sys.laptops

Laptop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They are also sometimes called notebook computers or notebooks . Laptops are commonly used in a variety of settings, including work, education, ...

The Pulse of Mobile Tech - Technology News and Views from LAPTOP Magazine
Remember in high school when you were assigned a sack of flour and you had to treat it as your baby for a week? This social project has just ...

Laptops Stolen From Facebook’s Former HQ In Palo Alto, Recovered, Arrests Made
An off-duty security guard and his accomplice were arrested following the theft of 49 laptops from Facebook’s former headquarters in Palo Alto ...

Laptop Screen
We provide Laptop Screen,HP Laptop screen,Dell laptop screen,Acer laptop screen to the world. - http://www.usa-laptop-screen.com/ . Do you need ...

Tech News, Reviews, Latest Gadgets & Technology News, Mobile, Tablet, Laptop, Gaming, Tech, Photos, Videos ...
Tech News, Reviews, Latest Gadgets & Technology News including Mobile, Tablet, Laptop, Gaming, Tech, Photos, Videos at NDTVGadgets.com. Get the ...

Toshiba laptops (@toshibalaptops) on Twitter

Abby – Letters Laptop (Alphabet, Letter Quiz and Letter Recognition) - Learning Games for Kids (Toddler ...
Get Abby – Letters Laptop (Alphabet, Letter Quiz and Letter Recognition) - Learning Games for Kids (Toddler, Preschool) HD on the App Store. ...

EFF letter for Vista laptop auction - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
See the blog post for more info: Windows Vista Laptop on eBay, Proceeds Going To EFF auction: cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160068144458 ...

No laptops for teachers
Many Victorian teachers starting new jobs this year have not been provided with one of the most essential tools of their trade &ndash; a laptop. ...

Plane suicide bomber may have hidden explosives in laptop
THE SUICIDE bomber who was sucked to his death from an airliner over Somalia may have hidden a bomb inside a laptop computer, according to a ...