laptop to laptop copy???

What is the best software (cable) etc to copy the contents of one
laptop to another laptop??  I think it use to be "laplink" very
expensive avenue!!!   Or Bobs copier!  Is there a cheaper way
to do it.  Will laplink actually copy contents of an older laptop
such as Toshiba Satelite 20CDT to a newer laptops such as
a P4 Notepad with a 20gig HDD in it ????
              Joe

* Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO SYSTEM*
* Army MARS PRECEDED by AARS (Army Amateur Radio System) *
*       Hi State ARMY MARS COORDINATOR                   *

jfenn (344)

Joseph Fenn <jfenn@lava.net> writes:
> What is the best software (cable) etc to copy the contents of one
> laptop to another laptop??  I think it use to be "laplink" very
> expensive avenue!!!   Or Bobs copier!  Is there a cheaper way
> to do it.  Will laplink actually copy contents of an older laptop
> such as Toshiba Satelite 20CDT to a newer laptops such as
> a P4 Notepad with a 20gig HDD in it ????

Normally these days you'd use ethernet for something like that.
Copying that much data through a serial port would take forever.
0
phr.cx (5493)
8/25/2005 8:21:29 PM
On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:12:55 -1000, Joseph Fenn wrote:

> What is the best software (cable) etc to copy the contents of one
> laptop to another laptop??  I think it use to be "laplink" very
> expensive avenue!!!   Or Bobs copier!  Is there a cheaper way
> to do it.

I don't know how you define "expensive," but a laplink cable shouldn't
really cost more than $30 at the very most.  Windows has the software for
a "direct cable connection" built right into it.

> Will laplink actually copy contents of an older laptop
> such as Toshiba Satelite 20CDT to a newer laptops such as
> a P4 Notepad with a 20gig HDD in it ????

It will allow you to copy your information over, provided that your new
"notepad" has a parallel port.  If not, and if your "20CDT" (never heard
of this model) has a USB port and is running Win98 or above, you can also
purchase USB data transfer cables which usually come with their own
software.

-dirk
Joe, you have to get a LOT more specific about what you want to do.  The
best connection, for almost anything, is an Ethernet network, which you
can make with just a crossover cable (or you can use two "normal" cables
and a hub or switch).  But if you want to copy an installed, operating
OS system from one laptop or hard drive to another, that's an entirely
different matter.

Also, for many purposes, the best thing to do is to remove the drive
from one computer and get an external USB to IDE adapter or case to
install it (temporarily) on the other computer.  Since these are only
about $10 to $30, it's cheap and fast.  See, for example,

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=USB2IDE-N

[for a laptop, this can be used with a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter for
another $3 or so.  Or use something like:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=EC-2501U&cat=HDD

These are both just examples, there are hundreds of similar and related
products.

Joseph Fenn wrote:
> What is the best software (cable) etc to copy the contents of one
> laptop to another laptop??  I think it use to be "laplink" very
> expensive avenue!!!   Or Bobs copier!  Is there a cheaper way
> to do it.  Will laplink actually copy contents of an older laptop
> such as Toshiba Satelite 20CDT to a newer laptops such as
> a P4 Notepad with a 20gig HDD in it ????
>              Joe

> * Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO SYSTEM*
> * Army MARS PRECEDED by AARS (Army Amateur Radio System) * *       Hi
> State ARMY MARS COORDINATOR                   *

WatzmanNOSPAM (5711)
8/25/2005 8:30:06 PM
If the computer is a 420CDT, which I think it might be, it's so old it
doesn't have USB or cardbus.  In that case, the best option is to remove
the drive and use one a USB to IDE solution similar to those mentioned
in my previous post.

Barry Watzman wrote:

> Joe, you have to get a LOT more specific about what you want to do.  The
> best connection, for almost anything, is an Ethernet network, which you
> can make with just a crossover cable (or you can use two "normal" cables
> and a hub or switch).  But if you want to copy an installed, operating
> OS system from one laptop or hard drive to another, that's an entirely
> different matter.
>
> Also, for many purposes, the best thing to do is to remove the drive
> from one computer and get an external USB to IDE adapter or case to
> install it (temporarily) on the other computer.  Since these are only
> about $10 to $30, it's cheap and fast.  See, for example,
>
> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=USB2IDE-N
>
> [for a laptop, this can be used with a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter for
> another $3 or so.  Or use something like:
>
> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=EC-2501U&cat=HDD
>
> These are both just examples, there are hundreds of similar and related
> products.
>

> Joseph Fenn wrote:
>
>> What is the best software (cable) etc to copy the contents of one
>> laptop to another laptop??  I think it use to be "laplink" very
>> expensive avenue!!!   Or Bobs copier!  Is there a cheaper way
>> to do it.  Will laplink actually copy contents of an older laptop
>> such as Toshiba Satelite 20CDT to a newer laptops such as
>> a P4 Notepad with a 20gig HDD in it ????
>>              Joe

>> * Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO SYSTEM*
>> * Army MARS PRECEDED by AARS (Army Amateur Radio System) * *       Hi
>> State ARMY MARS COORDINATOR                   *

WatzmanNOSPAM (5711)
8/25/2005 8:32:06 PM
Another option is to remove the drive, use a 2.5" HDD to IDE adaptor to
connect the laptops' HDD directly to an IDE port on a desktop.  This is an
extremely rapid method of transfer, and works without using USB.  This same
method can be used for creating an image of a laptop HDD in case of a HDD
crash, with a utility such as Norton Ghost.

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, ArtFD wrote:

> Another option is to remove the drive, use a 2.5" HDD to IDE adaptor to
> connect the laptops' HDD directly to an IDE port on a desktop.  This is an
> extremely rapid method of transfer, and works without using USB.  This same
> method can be used for creating an image of a laptop HDD in case of a HDD
> crash, with a utility such as Norton Ghost.
> "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
>> If the computer is a 420CDT, which I think it might be, it's so old it
>> doesn't have USB or cardbus.  In that case, the best option is to remove
>> the drive and use one a USB to IDE solution

Sorry Art,
I dont have no desktop and only Ghost2002.  Had to order Ghost2003
and Ghost V9 by phone today.  They come together as a package.
They assured me on phone that V9 can handle XP/PRO but not my old
Ghost 2002.   I hate to start delving into the insides of a laptop.
Its a nightmare inside these things.   Even tho been a Ham for
70 years since highschool sophomore, at 85 I just cant hack it
any more.   I am beginning to detest Xp/pro as it cant find anything
on the epp printer port other than the printer.  Got a backpack
external cd rewriter there but xp/pro has'nt found out yet about that.
                      Joe/KH6JF

0
jfenn (344)
> Joe, you have to get a LOT more specific about what you want to do.  The
> best connection, for almost anything, is an Ethernet network, which you
> can make with just a crossover cable (or you can use two "normal" cables
> and a hub or switch).

If both PCs have Firewire ports, use them instead*.  Much faster and no
crossover cable required.

*Provided you have Win 98SE or Win2k or later.

"Joseph Fenn" <jfenn@lava.net> wrote in message

I am beginning to detest Xp/pro as it cant find anything
> on the epp printer port other than the printer.  Got a backpack
> external cd rewriter there but xp/pro has'nt found out yet about that.

I don't think XP will work with drives on the parallel port without a
manufacturer specific driver.  Try searching the manufacturer's web site.
Plug the drive in and then check XP's hardware manager to see if it has
detected the drive but filed it under 'unknown devices'.

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:49:40 -1000, Joseph Fenn <jfenn@lava.net>
wrote:

>I dont have no desktop and only Ghost2002.  Had to order Ghost2003
>and Ghost V9 by phone today.  They come together as a package.
>They assured me on phone that V9 can handle XP/PRO but not my old
>Ghost 2002.

I hate to break the news to you,  but Ghost 2002 will work with XP
Pro,  as will older Ghost 7 (corporate) releases.  I imaged over 600
systems with Ghost 7.0 and they all had XP Pro on them.  The older
versions will not support USB or Firewire (without your own drivers).
They all will work with a network, and many will work across a serial
port and IIRC,  2002 will work across the parallel port.  Both Ghost
2002 and 2003 require a "DOS" boot and do not run under Win32 (native
XP).  Ghost 2003 makes this a bit easier than Ghost 2002,  and IIRC,
Ghost 2003 can read & write image files on an NTFS volume.
0
jbloomfi (55)
8/27/2005 12:28:02 AM
Certainly that will work, and 2 years ago would have been the preferred
choice.  But these days, with entire laptop IDE drive USB cases selling
for as little as under $10, and with software like Ghost, Drive Image,
Acronis, etc., fully supporting USB drives, it is just MUCH easier to
use an external USB 2 case (actually, you don't need the entire case,
just the tiny adapter card and cable).

ArtFD wrote:
> Another option is to remove the drive, use a 2.5" HDD to IDE adaptor to
> connect the laptops' HDD directly to an IDE port on a desktop.  This is an
> extremely rapid method of transfer, and works without using USB.  This same
> method can be used for creating an image of a laptop HDD in case of a HDD
> crash, with a utility such as Norton Ghost.
> "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>If the computer is a 420CDT, which I think it might be, it's so old it
>>doesn't have USB or cardbus.  In that case, the best option is to remove
>>the drive and use one a USB to IDE solution

0
WatzmanNOSPAM (5711)
8/27/2005 1:29:07 AM
 From a speed perspective, USB 2 and Firewire are virtually
indistinguishable in a single device application.

Ye Electric Fanne Clubbe wrote:

> "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>Joe, you have to get a LOT more specific about what you want to do.  The
>>best connection, for almost anything, is an Ethernet network, which you
>>can make with just a crossover cable (or you can use two "normal" cables
>>and a hub or switch).
>

> If both PCs have Firewire ports, use them instead*.  Much faster and no
> crossover cable required.
>
> *Provided you have Win 98SE or Win2k or later.

0
WatzmanNOSPAM (5711)
8/27/2005 1:32:11 AM
Speed of backup is important to me.   I have used Norton 2003  to back up an
installed Toshiba A35 laptop HDD to an external USB HDD, then burned the
image
files to a DVD that the A35 can later read.   To make this possible, I had
to create a DOS boot disk
with USB drivers for DOS that I cobbled together after Googling around.
When the external floppy DD booted the Ghost/OS, the USB HDD drive was
recognized just fine,
but it took (as I recall) several hours to create the Ghost backup files.  I
also need to back up several other old Toshiba laptops (1605, 435, 405), and
find it easiest to remove the HDD's and snap them into a desktop, Ghost 2003
backs them up in minutes over the IDE interface & I'm on my way.
> Certainly that will work, and 2 years ago would have been the preferred
> choice.  But these days, with entire laptop IDE drive USB cases selling
> for as little as under $10, and with software like Ghost, Drive Image,
> Acronis, etc., fully supporting USB drives, it is just MUCH easier to use
> an external USB 2 case (actually, you don't need the entire case, just the
> tiny adapter card and cable).
>

> ArtFD wrote:
>> Another option is to remove the drive, use a 2.5" HDD to IDE adaptor to
>> connect the laptops' HDD directly to an IDE port on a desktop.  This is
>> an extremely rapid method of transfer, and works without using USB.  This
>> same method can be used for creating an image of a laptop HDD in case of
>> a HDD crash, with a utility such as Norton Ghost.
>> "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>If the computer is a 420CDT, which I think it might be, it's so old it
>>>doesn't have USB or cardbus.  In that case, the best option is to remove
>>>the drive and use one a USB to IDE solution

     My local Goodwill store sells used desktop computers that would do the
job I have described for about $20 each, exclusive of keyboard and monitor.
Those items sell together for about another $10 at the same store.
     My Ghost 2003 documentation warns about trying to clone a HDD for use
on a machine with different hardware, the files and operating system may all
be copied fine, but the new machine may still not boot if the old machine's
parameters aren't a good match.    When you use Ghost, you will still need
some kind of access to another HDD partition to store the image files on.
If you have enough space on your existing HDD, I suppose you could
re-partition it to create a new partition for the Ghost image files.  If you
don't do that, it sounds like your only alternatives would be to send the
image files over an Ethernet TCP/IP link or over the laptop's parallel port.
You shouldn't have to worry about XP not finding stuff on your parallet
port, because Ghost basically works outside of the XP system, and is an
operating system in its own right.   I don't know if Ghost can access your
CD rewriter over a parallel port, I guess you will find out shortly.
    There is a web page with some info about Ghost 2003 here:
http://www.gmayor.com/Norton_Ghost.htm#Top

ArtFD <adembinski@hotmail.com> wrote:
: Speed of backup is important to me.   I have used Norton 2003  to back up an
: installed Toshiba A35 laptop HDD to an external USB HDD, then burned the
: image
: files to a DVD that the A35 can later read.   To make this possible, I had
: to create a DOS boot disk
: with USB drivers for DOS that I cobbled together after Googling around.
: When the external floppy DD booted the Ghost/OS, the USB HDD drive was
: recognized just fine,
: but it took (as I recall) several hours to create the Ghost backup files.  I
: also need to back up several other old Toshiba laptops (1605, 435, 405), and
: find it easiest to remove the HDD's and snap them into a desktop, Ghost 2003
: backs them up in minutes over the IDE interface & I'm on my way.

Fast backups are important to me, too.  That's why I use True Image
from Acronis.  It makes backup images fairly quickly (even if its estimates
for time to create the images seems very inaccurate), and its rescue
CD (which I've booted on numerous computers) seems to have drivers for
all the hardware I've tried it on, so I don't need to go to the
trouble of making a DOS boot disk to have it recognize my external CD
burner or my external hard drives.

I'd be surprised if the latest versions of Ghost don't have the same
sort of drivers built into its version of a rescue CD.

Andrew

: > Certainly that will work, and 2 years ago would have been the preferred
: > choice.  But these days, with entire laptop IDE drive USB cases selling
: > for as little as under $10, and with software like Ghost, Drive Image,
: > Acronis, etc., fully supporting USB drives, it is just MUCH easier to use
: > an external USB 2 case (actually, you don't need the entire case, just the
: > tiny adapter card and cable).
: >
: >
: > ArtFD wrote:
: >> Another option is to remove the drive, use a 2.5" HDD to IDE adaptor to
: >> connect the laptops' HDD directly to an IDE port on a desktop.  This is
: >> an extremely rapid method of transfer, and works without using USB.  This
: >> same method can be used for creating an image of a laptop HDD in case of
: >> a HDD crash, with a utility such as Norton Ghost.
: >> "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
: >> news:430E2AC8.8020007@neo.rr.com...
: >>

--

Andrew
--

USB 2.0 is FAR faster than any laptop hard drive.  Now if you tried USB
1, that is another story, and not all USB to IDE adapters can keep up,

> From a speed perspective, USB 2 and Firewire are virtually
> indistinguishable in a single device application.

Cobblers.  If you time the two side by side, you will find that Firewire is
between 25% and 35% faster.

There are 2 reasons for this.  First, although USB2 is rated at 480 Mb/s,
this is in one direction only at any one time.  Housekeeping swallows much
of the bandwidth.  Firewire is 400 Mb/s is both directions simultaneously at
the same time.  This is down to Firewire's dual data bus against the USB
single bus.

The second reason is that USB2 still requires considerable processor support
to make it all work.  Firewire, once started can operate with virtualy no
support from the procesor.

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 09:38:06 +0100, "Ye Electric Fanne Clubbe"
<ian.shorrocks@baeherclothessystems.com> wrote:

:>
:>"Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
:>news:430FC29F.1030806@neo.rr.com...
:>> From a speed perspective, USB 2 and Firewire are virtually
:>> indistinguishable in a single device application.
:>>
:>
:>Cobblers.  If you time the two side by side, you will find that Firewire is
:>between 25% and 35% faster.
:>
:>There are 2 reasons for this.  First, although USB2 is rated at 480 Mb/s,
:>this is in one direction only at any one time.  Housekeeping swallows much
:>of the bandwidth.  Firewire is 400 Mb/s is both directions simultaneously at
:>the same time.  This is down to Firewire's dual data bus against the USB
:>single bus.
:>
:>The second reason is that USB2 still requires considerable processor support
:>to make it all work.  Firewire, once started can operate with virtualy no
:>support from the procesor.
:>

Yep, sort of like the difference between IDE and SCSI.

me/2
0
me

Laptop to Laptop by Wireless
Hi Everyone I need some help with a question please? Me and a couple of mates have Wireless Laptops and wanna set up a LAN. Is it possible to do this without going thru a router, kinda like running a "Virtual Router" or something on one laptop and the others connect into it? If it helps we wanna play Civ 3 Conquests Multiplayer, I am pretty sure it either uses TCP/IP. I have set up normal cable networks before at home and have done a quick Google on it to no avail! I have ordered a Netger WGT634UK for the home ready, but this is just if we are at work and wanna have a quick go. ...

Laptop to Laptop by Wireless
Hi Everyone I need some help with a question please? Me and a couple of mates have Wireless Laptops and wanna set up a LAN. Is it possible to do this without going thru a router, kinda like running a "Virtual Router" or something on one laptop and the others connect into it? If it helps we wanna play Civ 3 Conquests Multiplayer, I am pretty sure it either uses TCP/IP. I have set up normal cable networks before at home and have done a quick Google on it to no avail! I have ordered a Netger WGT634UK for the home ready, but this is just if we are at work and wanna have a quick go. ...

What to use for laptop laptopping?
My new Toshiba L35 has vents at various places all over the bottom, so I'm reluctant to just put it on my lap. Is there something that everybody uses as a base that's a little more uptown than the piece of plywood I'm using now? Peabody wrote: > My new Toshiba L35 has vents at various places all over the bottom, > so I'm reluctant to just put it on my lap. Is there something that > everybody uses as a base that's a little more uptown than the piece > of plywood I'm using now? Something like this? http://www.xpad4laptop.com/ -- Notan Notan wrote: > Peabody wrote: >> My new Toshiba L35 has vents at various places all over the bottom, so >> I'm reluctant to just put it on my lap. Is there something that >> everybody uses as a base that's a little more uptown than the piece of >> plywood I'm using now? > > Something like this? > > http://www.xpad4laptop.com/ Here's another: http://www.laptopdesk.net/laptopdesk2f.html -- Notan Notan wrote: > Notan wrote: >> Peabody wrote: >>> My new Toshiba L35 has vents at various places all over the bottom, >>> so I'm reluctant to just put it on my lap. Is there something that >>> everybody uses as a base that's a little more uptown than the piece >>> of plywood I'm using now? >> >> Something like this? >> >> http://www.xpad4laptop.com/ > >...

Laptop-to-laptop Ethernet connection
Sometimes I take train with my spouse. I have a Linux laptop and a Sierra 597E "wireless broadband" card. This card works great with Linux, its maker Sierra contributes to the Linux kernel, and I basically have a well working internet while on train. The question concerns the second laptop -- my wife's. What I would like is to connect it to my laptop via Ethernet, and have her laptop use my laptop as a "gateway". My question is, can I directly connect them. I think that some pairs in Ethernet cable are somehow twisted, making a direct connection from computer to co...

Laptop Lottery
www.urhookup.com is sponsoring a Laptop Lottery. One winner will walk away with a new Sony Vaio K14 Laptop. Check out the site for details. Officially starts Aug 1st, but selling tickets effective now. Each ticket is $1.00 - No limit on how many. Drawing held at Rgate Lutherin Church by Pastor Bradley & the winner (if not present) will be notified that afternoon. UrHookUp.com, Inc. "Come Get Hooked Up!" www.urhookup.com ...

Laptop to Laptop by Wireless #2
[...]

laptop bag and laptop mouse
i'm looking for a decent uk supplier of a laptop bag, one that looks like a back pack. regular bags have "steal me!" written all over it. I'm also looking for an optical mouse, they are slightly smaller and some have retractable leads some are wireless some are bluetooth. advice please. -- Ian Lincoln Independent I.T Consultant Deathwalker <ian-lincoln@blueyonder.co.ukspam> wrote: > i'm looking for a decent uk supplier of a laptop bag, one that looks like a > back pack. regular bags have "steal me!" written all over it. I'm also > l...

Laptop Lottery
www.urhookup.com is sponsoring a Laptop Lottery. One winner will walk away with a new Sony Vaio K14 Laptop. Check out the site for details. Officially starts Aug 1st, but selling tickets effective now. Each ticket is $1.00 - No limit on how many. Drawing held at Rgate Lutherin Church by Pastor Bradley & the winner (if not present) will be notified that afternoon. UrHookUp.com, Inc. "Come Get Hooked Up!" www.urhookup.com ...

LG laptops and laptop keyboards
Hello folks. I am considering an LG laptop (W1pro) and have read in their website they have an "ER" keyboard with enhanced tactile sensation. Anyone has any experience with this? How would you rate LG laptop keyboards against other laptop keyboards? Any personal experience with this brand of laptops? Thank you in advance ...

laptop
HI we have new verities of laptop not only for your personnel use but also gift to your loved one so please visit our site http://mwi-laptop.blogspot.com/ >>>>> waheed iqbal <whd373@gmail.com> (wi) wrote: >wi> HI we have new verities of laptop not only for your personnel use but >wi> also gift to your loved one so please visit our site I have no personnel. -- Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl> URL: http://pietvanoostrum.com [PGP 8DAE142BE17999C4] Private email: piet@vanoostrum.org ...

Laptop
ntpd seems to require a constant internet connection (although as far as I can see this is never explicitly stated). But what about a computer, which is only occasionally (on average once a day) connected to the internet, and for a few minutes (5 minutes on average)? Can ntpd be used in this case? If yes, what paramters have to be set in ntp.conf? If no, are there any programs available to handle this? In case it is relevant, here some more details: iBook G4 with Mac OS X 10.4.5 ntpd -f /var/run/ntp.drift -p /var/run/ntpd.pid /etc/ntp.conf = "server time.asia.apple.com minpol...

laptop
hi I would like to get a new laptop to run solidworks. I am looking for 15.4" screen, under 8 lbs and of course under $2500. recomendations? anyone running without an approved video card with good results? I also would like to know which lcd to go with? wuxga? wsxga? wxga? right now carrying around 17" alienware to customers, too heavy, too short battery life, too expensive. thanks greif Reply Sorry it didn't work out for you. Would you like to offload the Alienware cheap? I've got it's cousin the Hypersonic, and it's not light, but it blows the doors ...

Laptop
Hellow, I use matlab for intense data processing, large amounts of data, for example it can take me up to 1hr the smallest data set I process. My desktop is a Pentium4,1Gb PC3200. I'm shopping for a laptop what laptops do you guys recommend. I am personally insterested in Lenovo. Thanks ...

laptop
hello dear friends and computer lovers, can someone tell me how to remove the password that is stored at the bios from the "ibm thinkpad t22" ?? manny greetings for your trouble to help me ;-) On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 15:50:05 +0100, "news.wxs.nl" <guru303@yahoo.com> wrote: >hello dear friends and computer lovers, >can someone tell me how to remove the password that is stored at the bios >from the "ibm thinkpad t22" ?? >manny greetings for your trouble to help me ;-) > Try here. They have a lot of information. some may be applicable to your ...

laptop
HI we have new verities of laptop not only for your personnel use but also gift to your loved one so please visit our site http://mwi-laptop.blogspot.com/ ...

Laptop
I have a RPC. Could the same 'works' or something similar be installed in a laptop configuration. Just so I can take 'it' with me on hols. I don't want VRPC. Dave. -- D On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 17:51:24 +0100 Dave <mail@daveandsylvia.plus.com> wrote: > I have a RPC. Could the same 'works' or something similar be > installed in a laptop configuration. Just so I can take 'it' with me > on hols. I don't want VRPC. Sure. Just find somebody willing to sell your 20 laptop cases for each of the RISC OS people left who'd buy a native lap...

Laptop newbie :-( Daughter needs a laptop
My daughter needs a laptop for her uni work. She only has a budget of around �800. She will be using a CAD program called ArchiCAD version 8 most of the time and the min requirements to run this software are: Operating System: Microsoft Windows 2000 or Windows XP pro (ArchiCAD will not start with Windows NT 4.0, Windows 98 or Windows ME) CPU: Intel� Pentium III, Pentium 4 or compatible CPU recommended. RAM: 512MB minimum - Recommended: 1GB Hard Drive Space: 500MB minimum free hard drive space required for full installation for ArchiCAD 8.1. Free hard disk space is required according to model complexity (over 1 GB recommended for complex models and 3D visualization). Video Card: Standard Open GL cards with onboard video memory of 64 MB, not shared memory, are recommended. The required minimum resolution is 1024 by 768 pixels with 24 bit colour depth. Display: 17" as minimum I would assume that the software will run on Windows XP Home addition just as well as the pro version, and she is sure that a display of less than 17" is ok, as she is using a laptop of 12" at the moment for version 7 of ArchiCAD without any problems. I have been to the website of the developers of ArchiCAD (http://www.graphisoft.com) and although they recommend Intel CPU's for their software, users are managing quite well with high end AMD processors. So, as I am a complete newbie to laptops, I need your help in finding a laptop that will do the business for her and a very rea...

Install OS on laptop from another laptop?
I have an IBM 560Z laptop which has no built-in CD and whose USB port I just can't make work. It has W98SE on it at the moment, but it's pretty well useless if I can't get data in and out. I was wondering if I could install a Linux distro on it from my XP laptop - maybe via a serial connection? Is it possible? If so, does it need a special (null?) cable? I want to try this to see if Linux can make the USB port work - W98 "sees" it but won't recognise data on devices (pen drive, floppy) attached to it. Sorry to appear dim, but it's the first machine I've owned without a CD drive, so I'm a bit lost... Thanks for any advice or suggestions. DAH. DAH wrote: > I have an IBM 560Z laptop which has no built-in CD and whose USB port > I just can't make work. It has W98SE on it at the moment, but it's > pretty well useless if I can't get data in and out. > I was wondering if I could install a Linux distro on it from my XP > laptop - maybe via a serial connection? Is it possible? If so, does it > need a special (null?) cable? > I want to try this to see if Linux can make the USB port work - W98 > "sees" it but won't recognise data on devices (pen drive, floppy) > attached to it. > Sorry to appear dim, but it's the first machine I've owned without a > CD drive, so I'm a bit lost... > Thanks for any advice or suggestions. > DAH. There are a bunch of issues here. You do rea...

7200rpm laptop drive killing laptops
Hi, I recently sold a laptop to a customer who wanted the laptop ide drive to be upgraded to a 7200 rpm one. I put in a 60GB "HTS726060M9AT00" Hitachi Drive. He took the laptop, used it for two days and brought the laptop back. I check the usual, ram, hard drive, all the connections to the motherboard. Everything seemed fine but nothing would come on the screen. So I gave the customer a second laptop, with the 7200 rpm Hitachi Drive. He came back again after 2 two days and the laptop is completely dead. The only common thing between the two laptops that I gave to the customer was the hard drive. I am inclined to think that the 7200rpm drive is not meant for these old laptops. The first laptop was a Toshiba Satellite 4300. The second laptop is a Toshiba Tecra 8200. Would the difference between the 5400 rpm drive and the 7200 rpm be that much more, in terms of heat generation and power consumption? Anyone with any experience on this, please share. Thank you, Aqueeb. aqueeb@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, I recently sold a laptop to a customer who wanted the laptop ide > drive to be upgraded to a 7200 rpm one. I put in a 60GB > "HTS726060M9AT00" Hitachi Drive. He took the laptop, used it for two > days and brought the laptop back. I check the usual, ram, hard drive, > all the connections to the motherboard. Everything seemed fine but > nothing would come on the screen. So I gave the customer a second > laptop, with the 7200 rpm Hitachi Drive. H...

difference between a netbook laptop and a notebook laptop
I have been in this field by 3 years. Today in world top brands of laptops are introducing netbook laptops.We were familiar with notebook laptops. but netbook laptops perhaps the totally new word for laptop users. so i want to discuss here about the difference between netbook and notebook laptops. want to get more info: go to http://laptopmania3.blogspot.com/difference b/w a netbook and a notebook laptop ...

Laptops today vs laptops yesterday
Its just so amazing how fast technology improves. I used to upgrade at least every year for laptops but I have come to the point that I have outgrown that terrible "illness". Last night I passed by a computer superstore and although I always fight the urge to even go inside one, I still went it and checked out what's on offer these days for laptops. Most laptops on display now are wide screen, silvery colored with some even red, blue, gray. These i think are the "in" color these days. Checked the keyboard which is the most important for me, sad to say, they are even wo...

Laptop Computer Furniture..(laptop computers)
laptop computers Laptops are small portable computers. They can be carried along, just like a small briefcase. They are convenient as they can be carried during travel. The furniture for this also has to be as per the dimensions of the laptop. With laptops being lighter and portable, the associated computer furniture is also becoming attractive and economical. A customer can choose from a variety of mobile laptop computer stands and desks. Some styles are foldable and perfect for travel. These laptop stands are good for small spaces. There are laptop computer desks to hold laptops, which can be rolled up to the conference room or to the bedside. Seat mounted desks are the perfect mobile organizer, for a laptop. They can be attached onto car seats. This enables the person to work even while being driven. Lap desks are very convenient and create a convenient work- table, wherever he sits. It costs around $99.00. Laptop caddy is a modification to the desks. This adjusts and tilts, so that the user can work anywhere in comfort. It is priced at $149.00. There are specially designed file compartments, which provide easy access to files and documents. This furniture is without a drill base mount, which is fully adjustable and removable in seconds. Adjustable laptop visor is another such accessory. It is adjustable to fit any laptop computer screen. It prevents glare and provides privacy. It is responsible for increasing productivity by reducing eyestrain and also protects the la...

question about Dell laptops- laptops in general?
Hi, I dont have a laptop but I have a friend who is selling their used laptop. My question is this they have the Lattitude C640, C610 or the C810 that I can choose from. Do all these laptops come with an ethernet connection? I would like to be able to run this laptop on a cable modem... What should I be looking for in the specs? just an ethernet? What about if I wanted to go wireless? if it doesnt have a wireless card, could one just add one to the laptop? how much does this usually cost? Also, if it had a lousy hard drive capacity- how much does it cost to add an larger harddrive? so essentially to sum it up, I am looking to go highspeed, with the option to go wireless, will these laptops work for that- what is needed? Thank you KOS KOS wrote: > Hi, I dont have a laptop but I have a friend who is selling their used > laptop. > > My question is this they have the Lattitude C640, C610 or the C810 > that I can choose from. Do all these laptops come with an ethernet > connection? I would like to be able to run this laptop on a cable > modem... What should I be looking for in the specs? just an ethernet? > > What about if I wanted to go wireless? if it doesnt have a wireless > card, could one just add one to the laptop? how much does this usually > cost? > > Also, if it had a lousy hard drive capacity- how much does it cost to > add an larger harddrive? > > so essentially to sum it up, I am looking to go highspeed, with t...

Web resources about - laptop to laptop copy??? - comp.sys.laptops

Wikipedia:WikiProject Guild of Copy Editors/Backlog elimination drives - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ...
... board categories during the drive, editing 202 articles for 132,056 words. Eight of these articles were of 5,000 words or more. The Copy Editing ...

Kanye West gets caught pirating copy of $200 Logic Pro plug-in on his Mac
... @ kanyewest ... Can't afford serum? Dick. https://t.co/8B2aiyORZs — (@deadmau5) March 02, 2016 And if you want to help Kanye afford a copy ...

Copy unselectable text to the clipboard with Textify
It’s a common PC problem. A dialog box appears with some key data, you need to copy it to the clipboard, but the text isn’t selectable, so you're ...

HBO is getting ready to copy Netflix and cord cutters should be thrilled
Netflix might not have a show as big as HBO’s Game of Thrones , but the pioneering TV streaming service has nonetheless produced a ton of awesome ...

5 Reasons Your PPC Ad Copy Needs Improvement
... themselves just aren’t getting the job done. You can have all the right keywords and all the right placements, but without good ad copy, you ...

APPLY NOW: Business Insider is hiring a paid copy-editing intern
Business Insider is hiring a copy-editing intern to work in our New York City office. This person will be responsible for editing copy on screen ...

Auctioneer to sell Hitler's personal copy of 'Mein Kampf'
CHESAPEAKE CITY, Md. (AP) — A Maryland auction house is preparing to sell a copy of "Mein Kampf," which it says once belonged to Adolf Hitler. ...

Roll Call Shake-up: Copy Desk And Production Employees Quit
Roll Call Shake-up: Copy Desk And Production Employees Quit

The NFL Is Screwing The World Out Of Watching The Only Known Copy Of Super Bowl I
In January the NFL Network broadcast the first ever replay of Super Bowl I, contested 49 years ago between the NFL’s Green Bay Packers and AFL’s ...

PS4 bundle deals: $50 off or a free copy of Far Cry Primal
... bundle to a mere $299 (Black Friday-level pricing). NewEgg on the other hand is pawning off the Black Ops III bundle for $350 plus a free copy ...