What do you recommend?

0
ghelf (28)

On 2010-11-05 23:09, ghelf wrote:
> Laptops today do not come with parallel ports but I was wondering how
> troublesome it would be to use some kind of converter.
> The printer is an HP Rx 80 multifunction printer. The parallel port
> printer cable is missing but I'm willing to spring for one if
> conversion to USB is not to pricey or complicated.
> What do you recommend?

I don't know the brand, but I have a USB to Centronics cable working
beautifully with my HP LJ-6.  Got it MicroCenter.

Carl
In news:ib2ht3$s00$1@news.eternal-september.org,
Carl Kaufmann typed on Fri, 05 Nov 2010 23:25:40 -0400:
> On 2010-11-05 23:09, ghelf wrote:
>> Laptops today do not come with parallel ports but I was wondering how
>> troublesome it would be to use some kind of converter.
>> The printer is an HP Rx 80 multifunction printer. The parallel port
>> printer cable is missing but I'm willing to spring for one if
>> conversion to USB is not to pricey or complicated.
>> What do you recommend?
>
> I don't know the brand, but I have a USB to Centronics cable working
> beautifully with my HP LJ-6.  Got it MicroCenter.
>
> Carl

They are known as a port replicator.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/port_replicator.html

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Celeron 1.73G - 1GB - Windows XP SP3

0
BillW50 (3525)
11/6/2010 6:45:46 AM
On Fri, 5 Nov 2010 20:09:26 -0700, "ghelf"
<ghelf@sbcglobalDeathToSpam.net> wrote:

>Laptops today do not come with parallel ports but I was wondering how
>troublesome it would be to use some kind of converter.
>The printer is an HP Rx 80 multifunction printer. The parallel port printer
>cable is missing but I'm willing to spring for one if conversion to USB is
>not to pricey or complicated.
>What do you recommend?

You could also get a wireless print server.  Which connects like other
wireless devices and be sure to get one with an RJ45 port (a parallel
port)   You'd still have to get the parallel printer cable, unless a
friend will give you one he doesn't use anymore, since they are
getting less common, but then, especially if you have a wireless
network at your house already, you could also print from anywhere in
the house.   Or if you can put your printer near your router, a wired
print server, which are cheaper I think and easier to find on ebay,
because everyone wants wireless now.

If you get a print server with both USB and RJ45 outputs, you'd be set
up for any printer and any wirelessly connected computer.
On 11/6/2010 2:45 AM, BillW50 wrote:
> In news:ib2ht3$s00$1@news.eternal-september.org,
> Carl Kaufmann typed on Fri, 05 Nov 2010 23:25:40 -0400:
>> On 2010-11-05 23:09, ghelf wrote:
>>> Laptops today do not come with parallel ports but I was wondering how
>>> troublesome it would be to use some kind of converter.
>>> The printer is an HP Rx 80 multifunction printer. The parallel port
>>> printer cable is missing but I'm willing to spring for one if
>>> conversion to USB is not to pricey or complicated.
>>> What do you recommend?
>>
>> I don't know the brand, but I have a USB to Centronics cable working
>> beautifully with my HP LJ-6.  Got it MicroCenter.
>>
>> Carl
>
> They are known as a port replicator.
>
> http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/port_replicator.html

An USB port replicator is doing it the hard way.  I have used several
IBM-branded cables to lash old printers to newer computers.  At one end
is a 25-pin male Centronics connector.  At the other end is the small
USB connector that plugs into the printer.

No matter what is used, printer drivers may be a fly in the ointment, as
they won't know how to handle a USB port, or maybe they simply do not
exist for a newer operating system.  I've had decent success setting up
most older HP printers this way.  Other brands may be more
problematic... Ben Myers

0
ben_myers (197)

Connecting a USB printer to a laptop's serial port
Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a laptop via the serial port using a serial/usb adapter? Most adapters I've seen are serial /usb not usb/ serial. I don't think you can go the other way. Terry "Tom" <thall91739@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1df688cb.0310171132.544eecf9@posting.google.com... > Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a laptop via the serial > port using a serial/usb adapter? As far as I know there is no adapter to convert a serial port to USB. -- ---------------------------------------------------------------- "Tom"...

Connecting a USB printer to an old laptop via the serial port
Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a computer's serial port using a USB/serial adapter? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1 66835&Sku=B133-1012&SRCCODE=SHOPPINGDF "Tom" <thall91739@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1df688cb.0310171128.14cdc780@posting.google.com... > Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a computer's serial port > using a USB/serial adapter? Whereas On 17 Oct 2003 12:28:41 -0700, thall91739@yahoo.com (Tom) scribbled: , I thus relpy: >Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a computer's serial port >using a USB/serial adapter? No. USB is too complex to replicate from the legacy ports. You might be able to get a USB PC-card adaptor, if you have Win98. -- Gary J. Tait . Email is at yahoo.com ; ID:classicsat Whereas On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 20:36:59 +0100, "Clanger" <D231@mygoatfseltd.freeserve.co.uk> scribbled: , I thus relpy: >http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1 >66835&Sku=B133-1012&SRCCODE=SHOPPINGDF > > The OP wants the other way round, which is impossible. > >"Tom" <thall91739@yahoo.com> wrote in message >news:1df688cb.0310171128.14cdc780@posting.google.com... >> Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a computer's serial port >> using a USB/serial adapter? > -- Gary J. Tait . Em...

USB printer Router with parallel port for printer
HI, We are looking for a braodband router with build-in printer server with a USB port. There a lot of broadband router that offer printer server but all the one we have found have parrallel port for the printer. The printer we want to buy with the router is an all in-one printer. Here all the printer we find have only USB port. Have any one find a way to connect the two or we facing a strange mismach? Thank you Andr´┐Ż Blanchard <andre.blanchard@fadq.qc.ca> wrote in message news:<p1vdhvscbh85tv4mfspltfn007vfiaqa7c@4ax.com>... > HI, > > We are looking for a braodband router with build-in printer server > with a USB port. There a lot of broadband router that offer printer > server but all the one we have found have parrallel port for the > printer. The printer we want to buy with the router is an all in-one > printer. Here all the printer we find have only USB port. Have any > one find a way to connect the two or we facing a strange mismach? > > Thank you Andre, Check this http://www.surecom-net.com/pd-wireless-9910sx.htm not sure if the product is available yet. Sujit ...

Printer/laptop question
Printer has only parallel port, Laptop has serial and USB. Is it possible to connect them successfully? Regards and thanks in advance, Syke "Syke" <h.macguire@CRUIVEvirgin.net> wrote in message news:74oq93F14rdo6U1@mid.individual.net... > Printer has only parallel port, Laptop has serial and USB. Is it possible > to connect them successfully? > > Regards and thanks in advance, > > Syke > > Perhaps a parallel to USB cable? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156012 -- Jan Alter bearpuf@verizo...

Broken USB ports on laptop?
Hello everyone. I seem to be having a problem with the USB ports on my laptop. It's a Compaq Presario 2580us. Here's the problem: Intermittently, my USB ports seem to stop working. For instance, I'll be using my USB mouse, and suddenly, it stops working, the red LED light goes out, and I hear the Windows "USB device unplugged" beep. Sometimes it comes back on, accompanied by the Windows "USB device plugged in" beep, on its own after a second or two, sometimes after some fiddling with the USB plug (which seems a bit loose). This also happens with gamepads....

Laptop to Laptop by Wireless
Hi Everyone I need some help with a question please? Me and a couple of mates have Wireless Laptops and wanna set up a LAN. Is it possible to do this without going thru a router, kinda like running a "Virtual Router" or something on one laptop and the others connect into it? If it helps we wanna play Civ 3 Conquests Multiplayer, I am pretty sure it either uses TCP/IP. I have set up normal cable networks before at home and have done a quick Google on it to no avail! I have ordered a Netger WGT634UK for the home ready, but this is just if we are at work and wanna have a quick go. ...

Serial and parallel ports on laptops
Hello, I'm just wondering if one needs serial and parallel ports on laptops?? Lots of laptops come without these ports. Should I try to get a laptop who have these ports? Only thing I use my parallel port is, scanner and printer. I guess new devices have USB option. I also found out that I can buy a USB to Parallel cable that I can use with my HP printer. Does anyone have any experience with this. Does this cable work for other devices who use parallel port? Thanks! ...

What to use for laptop laptopping?
My new Toshiba L35 has vents at various places all over the bottom, so I'm reluctant to just put it on my lap. Is there something that everybody uses as a base that's a little more uptown than the piece of plywood I'm using now? Peabody wrote: > My new Toshiba L35 has vents at various places all over the bottom, > so I'm reluctant to just put it on my lap. Is there something that > everybody uses as a base that's a little more uptown than the piece > of plywood I'm using now? Something like this? http://www.xpad4laptop.com/ -- Notan Notan wrot...

Laptops and power from usb port
I've been reading reviews on the Compaq NC8000 when I found this article: http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/HP_Compaq_nc8000_series/4514-3121_16- 30583495.html .... that says the unit doesn't supply USB bus power. How common is that among laptops... I can't find an answer in google searches. It seems like it would be a pain to have to lug around power supplies for each peripheral and might be a big pain. Or maybe usb hubs are powered and it would just be one extra power supply? Any input appreciated =) "Indrid Cold" <nobody@nospam.com> wrote in message news:7tM...

Laptop to Laptop by Wireless
Hi Everyone I need some help with a question please? Me and a couple of mates have Wireless Laptops and wanna set up a LAN. Is it possible to do this without going thru a router, kinda like running a "Virtual Router" or something on one laptop and the others connect into it? If it helps we wanna play Civ 3 Conquests Multiplayer, I am pretty sure it either uses TCP/IP. I have set up normal cable networks before at home and have done a quick Google on it to no avail! I have ordered a Netger WGT634UK for the home ready, but this is just if we are at work and wanna have a quick go. ...

Parallel-port for laptop
Dear fellows, I want to add a fully compatible parallel port to my new laptop and have bought the Targus PA090 port replicator, but it does not emulate an LPT port - it adds USB printing support only. Would any of you know of third party drivers emaulating an LPT-port on a USB adapter or a cheap PC Card with LPT (and maybe COM) ports on it? Thanks and enjoy the weekend -- Kasper ...

USB powered laptop speakers: Question
This may be a dumb question but do USB powered laptop speaker not only get their power via the USB connection but the sound SIGNAL as well? Or must you still have a cable the connects the speakers to the laptops speaker connection as well? On 8/26/2010 9:01 AM, me@privacy.net wrote: > This may be a dumb question but do USB powered laptop > speaker not only get their power via the USB connection > but the sound SIGNAL as well? > > Or must you still have a cable the connects the > speakers to the laptops speaker connection as well? Typically you also need the analog connection to the computers line out or headphone jack. However there are also speakers that get both the power and audio over USB as well, i.e. the Logitech S150 system. The latter will be using more system resources so keep that in mind if you're doing this on something like a netbook with a low performance processor. SMS <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote: >However there are also speakers that get both the >power and audio over USB as well, i.e. the Logitech S150 system. The >latter will be using more system resources so keep that in mind if >you're doing this on something like a netbook with a low performance >processor. yes will be used on a netbook....a Samsung NB30 On 8/27/2010 9:24 AM, me@privacy.net wrote: > SMS<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote: > >> However there are also speakers that get both the >> power and audio ...

Info for usb port on old laptop.
Hi! I have an old laptop I would like to know if I can buy a pcmcia card for a usb port. I have been told that I might not be able to because I can't use 16 bit cards or something like that. How can I check this out and is this info correct. I have a compaq armada 4131t. Thanks Victor PS: please email response directly to victor_rosanna@sympatico.ca In order for you to be able to add a USB PC Card, the laptop must support "Cardbus", which is 32-bit PC Cards. Depending on the age of the laptop, it may support only 16-bit PC Cards, in which case you are out of luck. \V/ ictor wrote: > Hi! > > I have an old laptop I would like to know if I can buy a pcmcia card for a > usb port. I have been told that I might not be able to because I can't use > 16 bit cards or something like that. How can I check this out and is this > info correct. I have a compaq armada 4131t. > > > > > Thanks > > Victor > > PS: please email response directly to victor_rosanna@sympatico.ca > > Barry Watzman wrote: > > In order for you to be able to add a USB PC Card, the laptop must > support "Cardbus", which is 32-bit PC Cards. Depending on the age of > the laptop, it may support only 16-bit PC Cards, in which case you are > out of luck. Not completely out of luck... There are serial-to-USB adapters. Larry Lawrence Glasser wrote: > Barry Watzman wrote: > >>In order for you...

Power rating on Laptop USB ports
Are all USB 2.0 ports on Laptops rated at 500ma? I have several Freecom USB 2 drives that require a 500ma port - so they will run without need of a power supply thanks Clive Clive wrote: > Are all USB 2.0 ports on Laptops rated at 500ma? The USB spec says a root hub should supply 500mA. Empirically, many portable machines do not supply this much. Also, a 2.5" hard disk requires more than 500mA peak current to start up. So bus-powered HDDs are almost always relying on being able to squeak a brief pulse of 1.5 A or more out of the port before it shuts down. Clive wrote: >...

Interface to connect a USB printer to a parallel port
USB to Parallel port adaptors are two a penny, but with few Printers now having parallel ports it is getting difficult for us to offer printers to many RISC OS users. Does anyone know of a Parallel port to USB adaptor i.e. a computers parallel port to a printers USB port. I realise that as the adaptor would have to run a USB stack it's not an inconsequential design. I know we can recommend UniPods but for some such as a Siblius user running an A5000 there are a few downsides: cost, memory loss & not a very straight forward setup. We will often try and suggest an upgrade to a RiscPC ...

Parallel JTAG cable on a USB-only W2K laptop?
Parallel JTAG cable on a USB-only W2K laptop? I am wondering if anyone has been able to successfully use a Xilinx parallel JTAG cable/adapter with the ISE 5.2i iMPACT software to program EEPROMS (or even a successful boundary scan to see the JTAG chain) with a laptop that only has USB ports. I purchased an ECP mode bi-directional USB to Parallel IEEE 1284 converter cable to accomplish this on my Toshiba 5105 Satellite laptop, that only has 3 USB ports, no printer ports. iMPACT will not recognize the converter as a printer port. These cables don't install as LPT's and don't have,...

Power rating on Laptop USB ports #2
Are all USB 2.0 ports on Laptops rated at 500ma? I have several Freecom USB 2 drives that require a 500ma port - so they will run without need of a power supply thanks Clive ...

Problem connecting F2812 to USB port on laptop
Hi All, I just got a DSP F2812. I am trying to connect it to my laptop just t setup the DSP using SDConfig. My laptop doesn't have a parallel port, so tried using a USB to DB25 cable to connect my DSP to my laptop. However when I check for available ports on SDConfig, it doesn't show me anything I have checked that the driver for the USB to DB25 cable is installe properly, and it also shows up under Device Management. Can anyone pleas provide some help on how to resolve this issue. The DSP connects properl if I try it with my desktop, which has a parallel port. Thanks a lot, any hel...

Laptop Lottery
www.urhookup.com is sponsoring a Laptop Lottery. One winner will walk away with a new Sony Vaio K14 Laptop. Check out the site for details. Officially starts Aug 1st, but selling tickets effective now. Each ticket is $1.00 - No limit on how many. Drawing held at Rgate Lutherin Church by Pastor Bradley & the winner (if not present) will be notified that afternoon. UrHookUp.com, Inc. "Come Get Hooked Up!" www.urhookup.com ...

Laptop Lottery
www.urhookup.com is sponsoring a Laptop Lottery. One winner will walk away with a new Sony Vaio K14 Laptop. Check out the site for details. Officially starts Aug 1st, but selling tickets effective now. Each ticket is $1.00 - No limit on how many. Drawing held at Rgate Lutherin Church by Pastor Bradley & the winner (if not present) will be notified that afternoon. UrHookUp.com, Inc. "Come Get Hooked Up!" www.urhookup.com ...

Laptop to Laptop by Wireless #2
Hi Everyone I need some help with a question please? Me and a couple of mates have Wireless Laptops and wanna set up a LAN. Is it possible to do this without going thru a router, kinda like running a "Virtual Router" or something on one laptop and the others connect into it? If it helps we wanna play Civ 3 Conquests Multiplayer, I am pretty sure it either uses TCP/IP. I have set up normal cable networks before at home and have done a quick Google on it to no avail! I have ordered a Netger WGT634UK for the home ready, but this is just if we are at work and wanna have a quick go. ...

laptop bag and laptop mouse
i'm looking for a decent uk supplier of a laptop bag, one that looks like a back pack. regular bags have "steal me!" written all over it. I'm also looking for an optical mouse, they are slightly smaller and some have retractable leads some are wireless some are bluetooth. advice please. -- Ian Lincoln Independent I.T Consultant Deathwalker <ian-lincoln@blueyonder.co.ukspam> wrote: > i'm looking for a decent uk supplier of a laptop bag, one that looks like a > back pack. regular bags have "steal me!" written all over it. I'm also > l...

laptop question..
I've been reading an operating manual for a "used" model laptop (Omnibook 500, by HP), and wondering how long PHYSICALLY can a laptop last? I don't mean battery life, but the hardware itself. I've checked google, but it seems alot of articles consider operational life on the basis of whether or not it's hardware can handle an OS upgrade to whatever is available this year. I'm wondering, if I am comfortable with the OS it was designed to support, and am happy with the hardware specs, how long can i realistically expect the device to continue functioning? ...

Laptop to Laptop by Wireless #2
Hi Everyone I need some help with a question please? Me and a couple of mates have Wireless Laptops and wanna set up a LAN. Is it possible to do this without going thru a router, kinda like running a "Virtual Router" or something on one laptop and the others connect into it? If it helps we wanna play Civ 3 Conquests Multiplayer, I am pretty sure it either uses TCP/IP. I have set up normal cable networks before at home and have done a quick Google on it to no avail! I have ordered a Netger WGT634UK for the home ready, but this is just if we are at work and wanna have a quick go. ...

Web resources about - Laptop USB to parallel port printer conversion question. - comp.sys.laptops

Gene conversion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Gene conversion is the process by which one DNA sequence replaces a homologous sequence such that the sequences become identical after the conversion ...

Personalized Notifications Can Increase Conversion Up to 300%
... to avoid sending generic push notifications to every user. By sending personalized notifications instead, companies can see their conversion ...

Ex-gay conversion therapy challenged in federal consumer fraud lawsuit
... a federal consumer fraud complaint with the Federal Trade Commission against People Can Change, an organization that practices ex-gay conversion ...

10 Copywriting Tips You Can Use Right Now To Boost Conversion Rates
Writing great content is quite possibly the quickest and most cost-effective way to increase your conversion rates. Great content creates engagement ...

Hail Caesar! The 'other' Roman Centurion conversion movie is a bizarre, self-satisfied mess
Martin Saunders went to see 'Hail Caesar!', and found the whole thing incredibly disappointing.

First Solar Achieves New Conversion Efficiency World Record For CdTe Solar PV Cells
Originally published on Sustainnovate. By Henry Lindon A new conversion efficiency world record for cadmium-telluride solar photovoltaic cells ...

Andrew Cuomo announces regulations to prevent gay 'conversion therapy' - CNNPolitics.com
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Saturday announced regulations to prevent "conversion therapy," a practice aimed at changing an individual's sexual ...

A Response To Jonah Goldberg On His Mistaken Claim Of My Trumpine Conversion
I prefer an economic-growth solution to middle-class angst, not a protectionist program.

What Is the Difference Between the Conversion and Recharacterization of an IRA?
... there are certain rules and tax implications you need to know about. Photo: www.TaxCredits.net . When it comes to IRAs, the terms "conversion" ...

Click And Collect Holds Key For Omni-Channel Conversions, New Research Reveals
Click and collect services are becoming key to driving conversions, both online and in the store, new research from Cybertill, a leading cloud-based ...