Large fonts - Normal fonts

I have a Thinkpad A22p running WinXP, which has a resolution of 1600 x
1200 on the native LCD.  Normal fonts are too hard (for me) to read at
that resolution, so I use large fonts (120 dpi).

But that's on the native LCD.  The rest of the time, I have it docked
and attached to a 19" monitor running at 1280 x 1024, and at that
resolution I prefer normal fonts.

It's somewhat of a pain every time I switch configurations to have to
change the DPI settings and reboot.  Is there a way to tell WinXP to
"Use Large Fonts when you're on the native LCD, Normal Fonts when you're
on the external display!"?

--
da
~~

0
Donkey

DA,

Donkey Agony <root@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

> It's somewhat of a pain every time I switch configurations to have to
> change the DPI settings and reboot.  Is there a way to tell WinXP to
> "Use Large Fonts when you're on the native LCD, Normal Fonts when
> you're on the external display!"?

Setup docked and undocked Hardware Profiles.

Regards,

James

0
James4671 (373)
12/18/2003 6:10:04 AM
JHEM wrote:

>> It's somewhat of a pain every time I switch configurations to have to
>> change the DPI settings and reboot.  Is there a way to tell WinXP to
>> "Use Large Fonts when you're on the native LCD, Normal Fonts when
>> you're on the external display!"?

> Setup docked and undocked Hardware Profiles.

Thanks James.  Could you give me a hint on where and how to set these
profiles up?

--
da
~~
"OE Quotefix" http://flash.to/oe-quotefix
to fix Outlook Express' broken quoting.

0
Donkey
12/18/2003 2:43:27 PM
I wrote:

>>> It's somewhat of a pain every time I switch configurations to have
>>> to change the DPI settings and reboot.  Is there a way to tell
>>> WinXP to "Use Large Fonts when you're on the native LCD, Normal
>>> Fonts when you're on the external display!"?

>> Setup docked and undocked Hardware Profiles.

> Could you give me a hint on where and how to set these profiles up?

I had disabled network devices before based on docked and undocked
profiles, but that always involved going into Device Manager and telling
it to disable the device in question for the current profile.  I
couldn't figure out what that had to do with DPI settings.

While it isn't exactly obvious as to why this is, it turns out that just
*disabling the LCD display in the docked profile* does the trick.  I now
have Large Fonts when I boot undocked, and Normal Fonts when I boot
docked.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, James.

--
da
~~
"OE Quotefix" http://flash.to/oe-quotefix
to fix Outlook Express' broken quoting.

0
Donkey

Font and Font CE
In many programs, installed fonts are appearing twice in the font menu, once as "font" and once as "font CE". What's the story behind this? (OS 10.2.8) Stefan In article <bp8jas$300$1@newshispeed.ch>, Stefan <stefan@mus._INVALID_.ch> wrote: > In many programs, installed fonts are appearing twice in the font menu, > once as "font" and once as "font CE". What's the story behind this? (OS > 10.2.8) You've enabled something about Central European input (perhaps a Polish or Estonian keyboard). The CE fonts are the ones that have easy mappings for the characters that appear in those orthographies and not in the various western/Roman alphabets (English, French, etc.). -- AF "Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team." --artyw raises the bar on rec.sport.baseball Alice Faber wrote: > You've enabled something about Central European input German and Arabic, to be precise. Not exactly Central Europe... > The CE fonts are the ones that have easy mappings > for the characters that appear in those orthographies I thought with the upcoming of Unicode there's one and only one font for "all" script systems? So what's the deal? I've noticed that the fonts concerned are all of the type ".dfont" and they appear twice only in programs that have a "traditional" font menue. Stefan In article <bp8qd3$6up$1@ne...

WVW Hello world with 2 fonts or 2 font sizes of same font
could anyone write a small Hello World using more then 1 font or more sizes then one. I cant figure this one out. Thanks Yon ...

using font generator setvar(font groups, new font name)
I'm trying to determine if you have to create a font for each version and size of the font being used. Ie. Do I have to create seperate fonts for: Courier New, Bold, size 8 and Courier New, italics, size 8 or can I just create one for Courier New size 8 and it recognize it? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you. -Halina ...

Font editor for TTF fonts?
Hi, does anyone know of a good TTF font editor on Linux? Thanks, cpghost. -- Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/ Cordula's Web wrote: > does anyone know of a good TTF font editor on Linux? The only outline font editor for Linux I know about is PfaEdit (http://pfaedit.sourceforge.net). It handles TrueType, PostScript Type 1, and various other formats. I'm not a font designer, and so I can't say whether or not PfaEdit really qualifies as "good" or not. It's been more than adequate for my own limited needs, though (mostly converting between formats and fi...

/etc/fonts/fonts.conf
What exactly do I need to add to fonts.conf after I added ProggyClean.afm to /usr/share/fonts/default (I converted ttf to afm using ttf2afm) Thanks Yakov "Yakov Lerner" <iler.ml@gmail.com> writes: > What exactly do I need to add to fonts.conf after I added > ProggyClean.afm to /usr/share/fonts/default (I converted ttf to afm > using ttf2afm) You don't need to add anything. Just run fc-cache. This really has nothing to do with X. If you want to make X aware of your new font, you should run mkfontscale and mkfontdir in that directory. -- M�n...

Font Book
I am running OS X 10.4.2 server and trying to utilize the nework font feature within Font Book. I setup the shared library on the server and the needed Fonts folder which is mounting to the client correctly under /Network/Library/Fonts but within Font Book the Network is listed but as "Off" and no matter what I do it will not enable. Any thoughts would be great... I figured this out, when creating a shared library in 10.4 server the name of the share has to be Library with the correct permissions, you can put it in a sub directory but need the Library name to mount correctly on the...

MAC Fonts/Windows Fonts
Recently, I was using a Apple MAC and opened a .doc file. I printed the file out and noticed that the font was really "cool," the a was more like an a we write with a c and a line (you know, kinda like we write and NOT the way courier new does). I am trying to figure out: First, does anyone have any idea what font it was? Second, what program do you think I probably used? I think it looks like a TXT file but it is a doc. What is it, just looks really good. Help me our here, please. GNV wrote: > Recently, I was using a Apple MAC and opened a .doc file. I printed > the file out ...

Copying Fonts to Fonts Folder
Hello When my RB app copies fonts to the Fonts Folder on the Mac the fonts immediately become available to all applications. However when I do the same in Windows (2000 or XP, not tried Vista) there has to be a restart to activate the font and make it available to other apps. Is there a trick in the Windows system to activate the font without having to do a restart? TIA M In article <hJudnQ08PvMF2hraRVnyiwA@bt.com>, "fontoholic" <malcolm911@btconnect.com> wrote: > Hello > > When my RB app copies fonts to the Fonts Folder on the ...

win32 font/xlib font
Hello ! I'm new to Win32, coming from X11, and I have some questions related to font handleing. - How do I go from a font fname (Courier 12) to a HFONT to give to SelectObject ? - If i gave a xlib Font type, is there a way to access to its corresponding HFONT type ? Many thanks in advance for your help ! Luc Hello Luc, On 7/20/2010 1:50 PM, Luc Moulinier wrote: > Hello ! > I'm new to Win32, coming from X11, and I have some questions related > to font handleing. > > - How do I go from a font fname (Courier 12) to a HFONT to give to > SelectObject...

vector font and outline font
Hi, in Wikipedia (e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outline_font) vector font and outline font are used as synonym. Ok, outline fonts are vector fonts, but aren't there any vector fonts that aren't outline fonts? bye, Johannes Johannes Walther wrote: > Hi, > > in Wikipedia (e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outline_font) vector > font and outline font are used as synonym. > Ok, outline fonts are vector fonts, but aren't there any vector fonts > that aren't outline fonts? > > bye, > Johannes > In a historical sense, yes. Back when computer i...

font to use in another font
I have developed a font that I want to distribute and all of the characters I really care about are outside the normal Latin/English glyph range. Are there any Times like fonts out there that I could use in my font? It would have to be completely free of copyright. Thanks. -John John Baima In article <s1gh55l9098r98bu1481bf1k846217vko2@4ax.com>, John Baima <john@nospam.com> wrote: > I have developed a font that I want to distribute and all of the > characters I really care about are outside the normal Latin/English > glyph range. Are there any Times like fonts out the...

Emerald fonts
Hi there, I've installed the Emerald fonts [1] from CTAN, and have got them working on my system. An example such as the LaTeX Font catalogue's text example [2] works perfectly, but I can't work out for the life of me how to resize the font. I'm using this in the context of: \documentclass{article} \usepackage{emerald} \fontfamily{cmss}\fontsize{12pt}{13pt}\selectfont Here's the body of my text {\ECFAugie Some notes in the magin} Body text continues... \end{document} I wish to use cmss as my default font and Augie enclosed in a group only for short notes. Yet {\ECFAugie \fontsize(10pt) doesn't work as I'd hope} Thanks in advance for any pointers, Stroller. [1] http://ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/emerald/ [2] http://www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/augie/augie.tex Stroller <stroller@bigfoot.com> schrieb: > Hi there, > > I've installed the Emerald fonts [1] from CTAN, and have got them > working on my system. An example such as the LaTeX Font catalogue's > text example [2] works perfectly, but I can't work out for the life of > me how to resize the font. > > I'm using this in the context of: > > \documentclass{article} > \usepackage{emerald} > \fontfamily{cmss}\fontsize{12pt}{13pt}\selectfont > Here's the body of my text > {\ECFAugie Some notes in the magin} > Body text continues... > \end{document} > > I wish to use cmss as my default fo...

font method -option font
hi is there a method that checks if a certain widget responds to a certain -option ? or actually my question could also be what is an easy way to change the font in an entire application ? i thought this was where the money was: perl application.pl -font "Monaco 12" but nothing happens , and i haven't mentioned the word -font in application.pl so my questions remain thank you -++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**== This message was posted through the Stanford campus mailing list server. If you wish to unsubscribe from...

win32 font/xlib font
Hello ! I'm new to Win32, coming from X11, and I have some questions related to font handleing. - How do I go from a font fname (Courier 12) to a HFONT to give to SelectObject ? - If i gave a xlib Font type, is there a way to access to its corresponding HFONT type ? Many thanks in advance for your help ! Luc Hello Luc, On 7/20/2010 1:50 PM, Luc Moulinier wrote: > Hello ! > I'm new to Win32, coming from X11, and I have some questions related > to font handleing. > > - How do I go from a font fname (Courier 12) to a HFONT to give to > SelectObject...

Name of the font? Nome font?
Qualcuno mi puo' indicare il nome della font in immagine? Anyone could help me to find the name of the font of the linked image?... http://www.digitalroads.it/temp/font.jpg Grazie/Thanks -- "Papa',cosa sono le icone? - Sono immagini sacre. - E perche Windows ne ha tante? - Perche ci vogliono i miracoli per farlo funzionare" ]-[ardcastle - ICQ#115164955 In article <b27vn1lpt0q7b83dsvljriptjgkqlepi4t@4ax.com>, "M'Pol aka ]-[ardcastle" <lomjoeNOWASTE@hotmail.com> wrote: > Qualcuno mi puo' indicare il nome della font in immagine? > Anyo...

Getting font file of font
Hi, i have the following question: how can I determine (need not be a platform-indepent method, need for Windows first) the font file being used for a certain Font object? Background: The user of my program can choose a font from a list (generated by GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment().getAvailableFontFamilyNames()). As a parameter for an external video player I need the corresponding font file, regardless whether it is a font coming the Java Environment or a system-provided one. Thanks in advance, Oliver ...

organize fonts in font menu
What program can you organize Windows fonts by styles instead of in alphabeticorder when accessing font from a program such as Photoshop or Illustrator? I remember the old days in Mac that I can put different fonts in different folders and they would be grouped together (maybe with suitcase or just the OS). Is there something similar on Windows? It's really time consuming when searching for a font from a long list. Thanks for any info! > What program can you organize Windows fonts by styles instead of in > alphabeticorder when accessing font from a program such as Photoshop > o...

font dialog font list
I've seen an application which only has specific fonts shown in the font list of a TFontDialog. How is this possible? This is what I would like to achieve: Only show fixed-length fonts (courier new etc). I can't see any methods of properties to achieve such a thing, and unfortunately the code to the application which displays this feature is not available. Kind regards, Adam. AdamMaynard24 wrote: > I've seen an application which only has specific fonts shown in the > font list of a TFontDialog. How is this possible? This is what I would > like to achieve: Only show fixed-length fonts (courier new etc). Set the fdFixedPitchOnly option. -- Rob ...

List of Fonts from Font Reserve
How can I generate a list of all the fonts that I have in my Font Reserve "Vault"? This basic functionality doesn't seem to be built in, and I can't find any shareware that looks in the vault. ...

Making a font from another font
Hi, I would like to create some virtual font from a Type 1 font that should behave exactly as the original one except for one thing: the characters should be print according to a -1 1 scale. Warning: [-1 0 0 1 0 0] makefont does not what I want, since it reverses the printing direction. For instance: (ABCDE) show should print ABCDE in this very same order but each letter should be horizontally mirrored. How can I do that? On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 19:04:14 +0100, Nobody wrote: > Hi, I would like to create some virtual font from a Type 1 font > that should behave exactly as the original on...

@font-face and Download of fonts
Can anyone tell me how to make a browser to download a .ttf with the @font-face (CSS) tag? Thanks! Fip No. No one can tell you "... how to make a browser to download a .ttf with the @font-face (CSS) tag? ..." It doesn't work that way. "Soxos" <soxos@libero.it> wrote in message news:ne0Pa.160658$Ny5.4556275@twister2.libero.it... > Can anyone tell me how to make a browser to download a .ttf with the > @font-face (CSS) tag? > Thanks! > Fip > > "Soxos" <soxos@libero.it> wrote in news:ne0Pa.160658$Ny5.4556275@twister2.liber...

Help with a font (looking for a font)
Hello, Everytime I ask you guys a question, you people help me out, so here I am, again, asking for your help. I am not very rich, just a student and I am looking for a couple of fonts, for the PC (TTF). I would appreciate it if you can tell me where to download the following fonts, for free, or fonts very similar to them: 1) New Century Schoolbook 2) News Gothic 3) Franklin Gothic. I am looking for a font with the "g" tail, similar to New Century Schoolbook (for serif) and the "g tail" similar to News Gothic or Franklin Gothic (for sans-serif). If you don't know whe...

AWT font != Swing Font
I have discovered that Swing fonts with the same name and size displayed in a JTextArea will show more characters than AWT will in a TextArea. What gives? Here are the currency characters where the effect is most obvious: + "\u0020 " + "\u00a3 " + "\u00a4 " + "\u00a5 " + "\u0e3f " + "\u17db " + "\u20a1 " + "\u20a2 " + "\u20a3 " + "\u20a4 " + "\u20a6 " + "\u20a8 " + &qu...

Font and font size on iPad
Who can tell me how to do it on iPad or iPhone to write emails with different fonts and generally larger? On the Mac there is the option to choose font and size, but on the iPad and iPhone can not find it. Thanks anyway DrZap -- #4. La vita e' una tempesta, ma prenderla nel culo e' un lampo. (Beppe Gril= lo) http://www.drzap.it & http://www.facebook.com/people/Franco-DrZap/100002204= 128949 Oltre 75.200 battute e barzellette Dr Zap (e-mail : v. sul sito) --- Questa e-mail =C3=A8 stata controllata per individuare virus con Avast anti= virus. http:/...

TrueType font to Opentype font
Hello All, I am a newbie. I have some TrueType fonts that I want to convert to Opentype fonts. Perhaps using some font editor. Where do I start? What software to use? thanks a lot for your help Mashrur In article <58e0b197.0403010934.332d57da@posting.google.com>, Mashrur Mia <mia@cs.concordia.ca> wrote: > I have some TrueType fonts that I want to convert to Opentype fonts. > Perhaps using some font editor. > > Where do I start? What software to use? First of all you should read the OpenType specifications that you can find either in the Microsoft or the Adobe si...

Web resources about - Large fonts - Normal fonts - comp.sys.laptops

Normal lens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
this angle of view is about 53° diagonally. For cinematography, where the image is normally viewed at a greater distance, a lens with a focal ...

Maria Sharapova failed meldonium drug test: Maker says treatment not 'normal'
The Latvian company that manufactures meldonium says the normal course of treatment for the drug is four to six weeks - not the 10 years that ...

Maria Sharapova failed meldonium drug test: Maker says treatment not 'normal'
The Latvian company that manufactures meldonium says the normal course of treatment for the drug is four to six weeks - not the 10 years that ...

Healthcare Data Breaches – The New Normal?
... this new world order, can consumers afford to be so reactive to data breaches? Or will they become immune to them as they become the new normal? ...

Goldman: "Quits and Gross Hiring Are Mostly Back to Normal"
A few excerpts from a research piece by Goldman Sachs economist Daan Struyven: Quits and Gross Hiring Are Mostly Back to Normal Two years ago, ...

Victoria Beckham confesses ‘I just can’t do heels any more’: normal?
Singer and fashion maven Victoria Beckham (who will always be Posh Spice to me) recently debuted her fall and winter fashion line during New ...

Executive Overreach: The New Normal In Anti-Gun Politics
From secret government lists, executive orders and activist judges we must ensure anti-gun zealots don't take office in the first place

Cartoon: Crazy is the new normal
Support independent cartooning: join Sparky's List —and be sure to visit TT's Emporium of Shopping Fun!

Having multiple online identities is more normal than you think
A few months ago during a family reunion, my husband wanted to show visiting relatives photos of our home renovation. He brought up my Instagram ...

Jennifer Aniston Calls Marriage to Justin Theroux 'Normal and Fun': 'We Felt Married for So Long'
Jennifer Aniston Calls Marriage to Justin Theroux 'Normal and Fun': 'We Felt Married for So Long'