need to make my usb port emulate a serial port

The problem i'm having is i have a program called lemmiwinks whic
connects to my car for tuning.  The program only recognizes seria
com ports, and the cable that plugs into my car terminates in a usb.
I have heard about emulators that can make my computer regonize a us
port as a serial.  Having trouble finding anything though.  Any hel
would be much appreciate

0
no6 (2828)

audia4tuner wrote:

> The problem i'm having is i have a program called lemmiwinks which
> connects to my car for tuning.  The program only recognizes serial
> com ports, and the cable that plugs into my car terminates in a usb.
> I have heard about emulators that can make my computer regonize a usb
> port as a serial.  Having trouble finding anything though.  Any help
> would be much appreciated

Emulator???

How about a cable? Have a look at:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Product_Id=103226

Notan
0
notan (388)
11/24/2005 2:50:15 PM
On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 07:50:15 -0700, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

>audia4tuner wrote:
>>
>> The problem i'm having is i have a program called lemmiwinks which
>> connects to my car for tuning.  The program only recognizes serial
>> com ports, and the cable that plugs into my car terminates in a usb.
>> I have heard about emulators that can make my computer regonize a usb
>> port as a serial.  Having trouble finding anything though.  Any help
>> would be much appreciated
>
>Emulator???
>
>How about a cable? Have a look at:
>
>http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Product_Id=103226

I use something similar from Maplin that connects my USB-only laptop
to a serial-only telescope. Neither end has a problem with this.

I have a USB connected GPS that works with a navigation
program that expects data fed through a serial port.

With my GPS came drivers to do this emulation, the
files have names like ser2pl.sys.
I Googled on that name and found this link;
http://www.floridaprobe.com/usb_install.htm

It leads to a zip-file that has a ser2pl.sys and may
to be the type of drivers you need.
There seem to be different versions of that file though and
I am not certain what the difference between them are.

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 14:31:20 GMT, audia4tuner wrote:

>The problem i'm having is i have a program called lemmiwinks which
>connects to my car for tuning.  The program only recognizes serial
>com ports, and the cable that plugs into my car terminates in a usb.
>I have heard about emulators that can make my computer regonize a usb
>port as a serial.  Having trouble finding anything though.  Any help
>would be much appreciated

Lars
Stockholm
0
Lars3497 (138)
11/24/2005 10:31:10 PM
"Steve Pearce" <*stevepearce@btinternet.com*> wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 07:50:15 -0700, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
>
>>audia4tuner wrote:
>>>
>>> The problem i'm having is i have a program called lemmiwinks which
>>> connects to my car for tuning.  The program only recognizes serial
>>> com ports, and the cable that plugs into my car terminates in a usb.
>>> I have heard about emulators that can make my computer regonize a usb
>>> port as a serial.  Having trouble finding anything though.  Any help
>>> would be much appreciated
>>
>>Emulator???
>>
>>How about a cable? Have a look at:
>>
>>http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Product_Id=103226
>>

> I use something similar from Maplin that connects my USB-only laptop
> to a serial-only telescope. Neither end has a problem with this.

Glad to hear it works with your scope. Would your scope happen to be a
Celestron? I haven't tried it yet on my scope, but I wondered if it would
work.

0
brooksro1 (5)

USB port adapter -> Multi USB ports existing ? Extending number of USB ports possible ?
Unfortunately my notebook has only ONE USB port. Is there something like an USB port adapter which I can plug in into the one available USB port and which offers at the other side multiple USB ports ? Something like a simple, portable USB hub ? Tom [ excessive crossposting trimmed ] ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.hardware.] On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 11:17:11 +0100, Thomas Jerkins staggered into the Black Sun and said: > Unfortunately my notebook has only ONE USB port. Is there something > like an USB port adapter which I can plug in into the one available > USB ...

More Problems with Serial Port on Mac OS X Intel and USB Serial port Keyspan
I just received a keyspan USB serial convertor and I can now communicate with numerous devices use the terminal. However the TCL/TK applications still can not communicate with the devices. Is there some special command for communicating with a serial device properly or is just broke in TCL/TK Aqua on the mac? I used the test script from the tcl.tk web site with these results: Error in startup script: bad option "-mode": should be one of -blocking, -buffering, -buffersize, -encoding, -eofchar, or -translation while executing "fconfigure $serial -mode "57600,n,8...

serial port, parallel port required for newer laptops with UNIX
Hi, I am looking for a laptop with serial and a parallel port which appears to be endangered species now a days. So one option is to use PCMCIA-serial card I am thinking about buying this one ( it is without serial,parallel ports) Acer Aspire 5000 ( AMD Turion 64bit with DVDRW ) http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/as5000.htm I will be using Linux,Solaris ( and never windows ) on the notebook. Has anyone used PCMCIA-serial without much trouble on Linux? If yes then which brand? I will be using serial port among other reasons for programming my microcontroller programmer boards using GPUTILS ( http://gputils.sourceforge.net ) second option would be USB<->RS232 Again has anyone used such devices with Linux,Solaris,FreeBSD? If yes which brand/model? What do I do about parallel port? Has anyone found any good Docking Station working great on Linux? Thanks - Surinder I run Ubuntu Linux on my IBM Thinkpad T42. Thinkpads are well supported in the Linux world. The T-series Thinpad has a parallel port but not an rs232 serial port. FWIW, my Q-Stor PCMCIA-Firewire worked "out of the box," no config needed. surindersingh@yahoo.com wrote: >I am looking for a laptop with serial and a parallel port which appears >to be endangered species now a days. What's wrong with the Dell Latitude? My D600 has both, and IIRC so does the D610... Amazingly, the Dell Inspiron 600m current production laptop has both serial and parallel ports built-in. sur...

FT Need A Laptop with serial port
I nee a laptop that is PIII or P4 that has a serial port,running Windows XP or 2000 for my ham radio programs.Only problem is I will be trading a mint condition Kenwood TM-V7 dual band ham radio for the laptop.Let me know what you got.I would prefer a local area swap that way we won't have to see who is going to ship first.Tahnks for looking. Do you have to have a serial port on the laptop? Many newer laptops/notebooks no longer supply a serial port. One solution you may consider if you get stuck is a USB to serial converter. There are so many of them out there. A few of them are j...

Can i communicate by the USB port, if my application is set up to communicate with the serial RS232 port???
Hi to all labview users... Please help me with my deadly problem. Last Deadline is on monday next week!. &nbsp; I got a complete program now, written and tested OK. It communicates with a slave to control a motor. I've set up the program to communicate with the slave by the VISA RS232 Serial&nbsp;Port commuication.&nbsp; and all works fine... Now the problem is.. that The communication should have been by the USB port instead. So what I have done now, is that i used a USB to RS232 converter.&nbsp; So that the USB Plug is plugged to the PC, and the RS232 end to my&nbsp;S...

emulate a serial port in windows (create a virtual 'com' port)
Hello how can I emulate a serial port in windows? I want to intercept data sent to a 'com'port by a proprietary program. It sends statistics to a serial display, and I want that data in my python program (that display isn't needed). Is this possible? I've seen this kind of serial ports being created when using USB and bleutooth adapters, so i guess it's possible ??? Thanks in advance Greets Pom On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 06:34:17 GMT, Pom <reply@group.invalid> declaimed the following in comp.lang.python: > > how can I emulate a serial port in windows...

serial port on v490 and Serial port on StorEdge 3510
Just wonder how to connect V490's serial port to StorEdge 3510's serial port? as the serial port on v490 is a RJ45 connection. and the serial port on 3510 is DB9. How to connect this two together? What adapter and cable should be used? Thanks! ericson paula wrote: > Just wonder how to connect V490's serial port to StorEdge 3510's > serial port? > as the serial port on v490 is a RJ45 connection. and the serial port > on 3510 is DB9. How to connect this two together? What adapter and > cable should be used? > > Thanks! a standard rj-45 cable and the a...

Virtual Port / Port Emulation
I am looking for Links or References or a Complete/Detailed Guide to developing my own Application in Visual Basic that generates are Virtual Serial Port. I have found programs on the Internet that do this, but no source code which explains how it is done /slash/ how someone could do it. Thanks ! On 16 Oct 2003 18:41:40 -0700, deathsmerchant@hotmail.com (DeathsMerchant) wrote: >I am looking for Links or References or a Complete/Detailed Guide to >developing my own Application in Visual Basic that generates are >Virtual Serial Port. I have found programs on the Internet that do >...

i have wireless phone with serial port ,connected to USB port of computer.How can I read data from phone?
I want to read text data from a wirless phone having 9 pin serial port connecter,other end is connected with USB port of computer for internet connectivity.I have LabVIEW 8.2 and want to read text messages from phone set.How&nbsp; can I use device address string in VISA Resource Name Control? That really isn't enough information to go on.:smileysurprised:&nbsp; First you'll have to figure out how the device shows up in your PC.&nbsp; When you connect the cable, does it show up as a COM port or something else.&nbsp; Look in Windows Device Manager. &nbsp; Once you fi...

Connecting a USB printer to an old laptop via the serial port
Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a computer's serial port using a USB/serial adapter? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1 66835&Sku=B133-1012&SRCCODE=SHOPPINGDF "Tom" <thall91739@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1df688cb.0310171128.14cdc780@posting.google.com... > Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a computer's serial port > using a USB/serial adapter? Whereas On 17 Oct 2003 12:28:41 -0700, thall91739@yahoo.com (Tom) scribbled: , I thus relpy: >Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a computer's serial port >using a USB/serial adapter? No. USB is too complex to replicate from the legacy ports. You might be able to get a USB PC-card adaptor, if you have Win98. -- Gary J. Tait . Email is at yahoo.com ; ID:classicsat Whereas On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 20:36:59 +0100, "Clanger" <D231@mygoatfseltd.freeserve.co.uk> scribbled: , I thus relpy: >http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1 >66835&Sku=B133-1012&SRCCODE=SHOPPINGDF > > The OP wants the other way round, which is impossible. > >"Tom" <thall91739@yahoo.com> wrote in message >news:1df688cb.0310171128.14cdc780@posting.google.com... >> Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a computer's serial port >> using a USB/serial adapter? > -- Gary J. Tait . Em...

Connecting a USB printer to a laptop's serial port
Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a laptop via the serial port using a serial/usb adapter? Most adapters I've seen are serial /usb not usb/ serial. I don't think you can go the other way. Terry "Tom" <thall91739@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1df688cb.0310171132.544eecf9@posting.google.com... > Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a laptop via the serial > port using a serial/usb adapter? As far as I know there is no adapter to convert a serial port to USB. -- ---------------------------------------------------------------- "Tom"...

Send traffic from one serial port out to another serial port
Hi, We've got a system where we need to occasionally in effect link two serial ports together on our system which is running linux. Scenario (/dev/ttyS1) <radio> --- rs232 -- [linux system] --- rs232 -- <terminal> (/dev/ttyS0) Normally the terminal talks to the linux system which sends traffic if needed to the radio. However for certain situations we need to make sure any traffic on /dev/ttyS0 is sent straight out on /dev/ttyS1 and vice-versa with no alterations etc. On a stock distribution (debian) I can't see an easy way to accomplish this short of using socat. ...

port control instructions for USB port ??
can someone tell me abt the port control instructions in C language for USB port ?? what are the port addresses for UBS port ??? Plz answer , Regards, UDAYAN Some questions are answered at http://www.lvr.com/index.html . You cannot access any hardware in Win 2K/XP, only drivers or real-mode DOS. <udayan.warnekar@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1137342245.376267.6380@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > can someone tell me abt the port control instructions in C language for > USB port ?? > what are the port addresses for UBS port ??? > ...

USB port and COM port virtualization
One of the common issues the users may face while dealing with virtualization (both Vmware and Hyper-V) is how to pass the physical USB and COM ports from the host machine to the virtual guest machines. The most effective solution to do it is "USB over Network" and "Network Serial Port Kit" software from FabulaTech. www.fabulatech.com There are trial versions on the web site so that everyone can check how it works. If you guys need any assistance while testing or have any questions you can ask me at any time. alex.webster@fabulatech.com ...

Parallel port vs USB port
Can someone advise me the benefit of USB 2.0 over parallel port and USB 1.1 port especially in terms of effective printing speed. Thanks, Ray On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 17:34:07 +0800, in comp.periphs.printers "Ray" <NoSpam-Ray282828@Yahoo.com.HK> wrote: >Can someone advise me the benefit of USB 2.0 over parallel port and USB 1.1 >port especially in terms of effective printing speed. Depends a lot on the printer, as to what is the critical factor in printing throughput. Communications and/or the actual printing process which have a specific speed associated with it to allow the ink to dry on the paper a bit. Epson 1270 parallel vs usb 1.1 about the same. ________________________________________________________ Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Usenet@EdwardG.Ruf.com) http://EdwardGRuf.com [This followup was posted to comp.periphs.printers and a copy was sent to the cited author.] In article <31vt8rF3g366pU1@individual.net>, NoSpam-Ray282828 @Yahoo.com.HK says... > Can someone advise me the benefit of USB 2.0 over parallel port and USB 1.1 > port especially in terms of effective printing speed. I don't think most any consumer/small-office printer can overload any of them. Some newer printers may support USB 2, but that may be mainly to prevent issues with some USB 2 ports that drop everything down to 1.1 speeds if a slower device is connected. Between USB and parallel, it's mainly a...

Need more USB ports
Hi there. I am brand new Mac user and don't know anything about it and OS X except what I have learned in the last few days from reading. I need one more USB port, the two on the machine are being used. How is the best way to add one? A PCI card or a external one. I like the idea of the internal card but do I need one that is for a Mac or will any of them work? There is 10.1 in there now but am going to upgrade. Also is there a list of scanners and printers that is supported in 10.3 ? * posted via http://mymac.ws In article <41bf4b63$1_5@alt.athenanews.com>, ArkMan <paulw@willi...

Need Serial Port
I have a laptop on order and just realized it has no serial port, which my Sprint PCS phone requires to interface with the computer. Is there any way I can add a Serial PCMIA card to this computer that will work with the phone, as I understand the USB - SERIAL converters are not true serial ports with all the various handshaking, etc. Can anyone recommend a good PCMIA serial card that will work with anything? I only need one port so a single serial would be OK. Thanks for your assistance, Jim Go to the sprint store and get a USB cable. Works much better. Jim <wdxp@cox.net> wrote...

laptop no serial port :(
my old ibm laptop has finaly gone back to its maker so i have a temporary compaq repacment. Its nice enough but it does not have a serial port! what gives? god know whay they still have parallel ports. So my dilema is what to replace it with do i pick out the best laptop and get a usb to serial thingy or are there still leading edge machines with serial ports i like the idea of integrated wirles and bluetooth. I have heard that the usb serial devices cannot send a break so i may be in trouble if i need to recover a password. Is there any truth in this? all reccomendations and advice greatly...

Serial port and USB
I read some text about serial port and still confused whether USB is a serial port method(or just a serial communication?,although i dont know the difference).Besides this, I wonder whether we can get input from USB using MATLAB.For instance,can I catch the pushes of the user that uses a joystick (like the ones that people use for soccer games) using MATLAB? Thanks in advance for your future answers.. On 10-12-06 04:02 PM, engin caglar wrote: > I read some text about serial port and still confused whether USB is a > serial port method(or just a serial communication?,although i don...

USB Serial Port
Hopefully this will save someone some grief. After much messing around with junk that did not work, I finally found a USB serial port that works properly and is fully-functional. The break function even works for password recovery on Cisco routers. Manufacturer: BAFO Technologies Model: BF-810 That is the 9 pin version. There is a 25 pin version which I assume works as well. --- Mooron Thank you. I love these tidbits of info. I hate messing with stuff when you someone else has already gone through the pain. <mooron@mooron.com> wrote in message news:1136327147.971109.243950@z...

No serial port on my laptop
Hello, I'm thinking about buying a new laptop without a serial port. Is there an adapter to let me use an ethernet port to configure a router that has not previously been configured so it has no IP address yet? Thanks Hi! Boe wrote: > I'm thinking about buying a new laptop without a serial port. Is there an > adapter to let me use an ethernet port to configure a router that has not > previously been configured so it has no IP address yet? use an USB to serial adapter. Greets, Thomas There are so many USB to RS-232 converters and they are so cheap. You can use i...

need more serial ports
I have several devices that communicate with a pc via serial ports. I've been using them on and off, one at the time, because my pc only has one serial port. Now I want to use them all together. I searched and I found a serial multiport card here: http://www.stayonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1131&gclid=CLGf2e_buokCFRBoNAodNR79qw I didn't even know something like this existed. Anyway, I'm wondering if something like this would work under linux. Does anybody know of a different solution? Thanks! This is a MIME GnuPG-signed message. If you see this text, it means that your E-m...

Port Forwarding: Device:Port = Router:Port?
- Webcam's IP addr = 10.0.0.140, and it's set up to use port 8000 - Router's IP addr = 1.0.0.1, and it's port forwarding is set up to forward port 8000 to 10.0.140. - I can view the camera using 10.0.0.140:8000, no problem. The Question: Should I be able to view the camera using 10.0.0.1:8000? -- PeteCresswell On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 08:13:01 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" <x@y.Invalid> wrote: > - Webcam's IP addr = 10.0.0.140, and it's set up to > use port 8000 > > - Router's IP addr = 1.0.0.1, and...

1 Port PCI Serial Card with MS Serial.sys
Hi, I got 1 port PCI serial Card installed on my machine, which UART is 16550 compatible. Is that possible to load that PCI card directly by using Microsoft Serial.sys driver using MSPorts.inf? Or do I need to write PCI bus driver for that card? Thank you very much, Bandu Bandu wrote: > Hi, > I got 1 port PCI serial Card installed on my machine, which UART is > 16550 compatible. Is that possible to load that PCI card directly by > using Microsoft Serial.sys driver using MSPorts.inf? > > Or do I need to write PCI bus driver for that card? > > Than...

Web resources about - need to make my usb port emulate a serial port - comp.sys.laptops

Leaked BlackBerry handset appears to emulate iPhone's design
If the 18 photos of the device on tinhte.vn are to be believed, the L-Series, codenamed BlackBerry London, looks quite similar to Apple's iPhone ...

Can solar emulate Apple's computer revolution?
History shows us energy system transitions take decades, if not centuries. But could solar’s growth follow a growth path more like personal computers ...

Canberra Raiders hope Zac Santo can emulate Jordan Rapana and seize his chance
The Canberra Raiders are hopeful outside back&nbsp;Zac Santo will emulate Jordan Rapana in 2016.

Dark net drug marketplaces begin to emulate organised street crime
Australian drug dealers are over-represented on the dark web, but that's not the only worrying trend found by UNSW researchers.

Do we really want to emulate the US education system?
Undergraduate dropout rates are higher in the US than anywhere except for Hungary.

Let's emulate Diggers' sacrifice to tackle climate change
We're so precious about Anzac, and what can or cannot be said, on or about the day. But for what might we, similarly, lay down our lives?

Megan Fox says she no longer emulates Marilyn Monroe
The "Transformers" actress tells Esquire magazine she wanted to be like Marilyn Monroe and even has a tattoo of the late actress on her arm, ...

Washington, Oregon plan to emulate B.C.’s carbon tax
The governments of B.C., Oregon, Washington and California are joining forces to combat climate change.

Vancouver Food Carts Plan Would Emulate Portland
Vancouver city council is mulling whether or not to adopt the model used in Portland, Ore., for staging food carts outside downtown — a plan ...

Emulate Chinese development model: Asante King
Emulate Chinese development model: Asante King People's Daily Online Speaking on the theme "Rekindling the spirit of Creativity, innovation ...