New hard drive for IBM T20

I need a new drive for my old T20.  It's pretty full and Spinrite says it's
dying.  The current drive is a Hitachi 11G, probably 4200 RPM.  Of course I can
go bigger and faster, but should I?  I just read a review at THG, which lavished
praise on the new 7200 RPM Hitachi, and says faster isn't a problem with power
consumption.  But I'm concerned about heat.  I leave my computer running almost
24/7.  It's been dead reliable so far, and I don't want to mess with it.  I know
others have had overheating problems after putting faster drives in older
machines.  Noise is an issue too -- I like my computer to be as quiet as
possible.  It's one reason I chose the T20 initially.  Any thoughts?

Matt O.

0
matt1 (38)

"Matt O'Toole" <matt@deltanet.com> wrote in message
> I need a new drive for my old T20.  It's pretty full and Spinrite says
it's
> dying.  The current drive is a Hitachi 11G, probably 4200 RPM.  Of course
I can
> go bigger and faster, but should I?  I just read a review at THG, which
lavished
> praise on the new 7200 RPM Hitachi, and says faster isn't a problem with
power
> consumption.  But I'm concerned about heat.  I leave my computer running
almost
> 24/7.  It's been dead reliable so far, and I don't want to mess with it.
I know
> others have had overheating problems after putting faster drives in older
> machines.  Noise is an issue too -- I like my computer to be as quiet as
> possible.  It's one reason I chose the T20 initially.  Any thoughts?
>
> Matt O.

Matt:

Let me see, it is a faster drive, and consumes less power.  I would venture
to say that heat will be less of a problem.  Heat output is related to the
power consumed times the efficiency of the motor.  Noting that the drive is
using less power, and turning faster it is very likely the motor is more
efficient or at least as efficient, and the fact that the total power
consumed is lower leads me to that conclusion.

0
richj (237)
1/13/2005 7:28:08 PM
Matt O'Toole wrote:
> I need a new drive for my old T20.  It's pretty full and Spinrite
> says it's dying.  The current drive is a Hitachi 11G, probably 4200
> RPM.  Of course I can go bigger and faster, but should I?  I just
> read a review at THG, which lavished praise on the new 7200 RPM
> Hitachi, and says faster isn't a problem with power consumption.  But
> I'm concerned about heat.  I leave my computer running almost 24/7.
> It's been dead reliable so far, and I don't want to mess with it.  I
> know others have had overheating problems after putting faster drives
> in older machines.  Noise is an issue too -- I like my computer to be
> as quiet as possible.  It's one reason I chose the T20 initially.
> Any thoughts?

I have several T21s, a T23, a T30 and several T40s all running with Hitachi
7K60s.

They're all dead silent and have no heating problems.

Regards,

James

0
James386 (394)
1/13/2005 10:14:55 PM
RJ [Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:28:08 -0800]:
 >Let me see, it is a faster drive, and consumes less power.

Not quite right.  The 12G (Travelstar, anyway) is rated 500mA @ 5V,
or 2.5 Watts.  Current drives are almost always 1A or more at 5V.
Or you could ignore HD labels and go by what Tom writes (o).

--
 40th Floor - Software  @  http://40th.com/
 iPlay : the ultimate audio player for iPAQs
JHEM wrote:

> I have several T21s, a T23, a T30 and several T40s all running with
> Hitachi 7K60s.
>
> They're all dead silent and have no heating problems.

Thanks for the feedback.  What are your operating conditions though?  Netsurfing
and wordprocessing for an hour or two at a time, or heavy use 24/7?

Matt O.

0
matt1 (38)
1/14/2005 6:42:34 PM
<hel@40th.com> wrote in message
> RJ [Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:28:08 -0800]:
>  >Let me see, it is a faster drive, and consumes less power.
>
> Not quite right.  The 12G (Travelstar, anyway) is rated 500mA @ 5V,
> or 2.5 Watts.  Current drives are almost always 1A or more at 5V.
> Or you could ignore HD labels and go by what Tom writes (o).

He set the parameters.  Garbage in, garbage out.  It is not up to me to
verify that the data is incorrect.  The advice is valid though, and if he
finds the data he supplied is incorrect there is enough information in the
answer to figure out that there might me more heat generated.

Rich

0
richj (237)
1/14/2005 8:03:10 PM
Matt O'Toole wrote:
> JHEM wrote:
>
>> I have several T21s, a T23, a T30 and several T40s all running with
>> Hitachi 7K60s.
>>
>> They're all dead silent and have no heating problems.
>
> Thanks for the feedback.  What are your operating conditions though?
> Netsurfing and wordprocessing for an hour or two at a time, or heavy
> use 24/7?

Among all of the machines, all of the above!

Regards,

James

0
James386 (394)
1/15/2005 3:56:31 PM
"JHEM" <James@ESAD.SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote in message
> Matt O'Toole wrote:
> > I need a new drive for my old T20.  It's pretty full and Spinrite
> > says it's dying.  The current drive is a Hitachi 11G, probably 4200
> > RPM.  Of course I can go bigger and faster, but should I?  I just
> > read a review at THG, which lavished praise on the new 7200 RPM
> > Hitachi, and says faster isn't a problem with power consumption.  But
> > I'm concerned about heat.  I leave my computer running almost 24/7.
> > It's been dead reliable so far, and I don't want to mess with it.  I
> > know others have had overheating problems after putting faster drives
> > in older machines.  Noise is an issue too -- I like my computer to be
> > as quiet as possible.  It's one reason I chose the T20 initially.
> > Any thoughts?
>
> I have several T21s, a T23, a T30 and several T40s all running with
Hitachi
> 7K60s.
>
> They're all dead silent and have no heating problems.
>
> Regards,
>
> James

JHEM--

I put one of the 7200 RPM Hitachi disks in my Sony K25 and it's a little
faster than the 4200 RPM Hitachi 60Gig that was already in, but it vibrates
way too much, so that when the machine is running I can feel the vibration
on the palmrest, either side, like a slight buzzy feel. I assume this is
because it's 7200 RPM, so am getting ready to put the 4200RPM drive back in.
The difference in speed is not huge in any case.

Someone above said this might be a faulty drive or a bad installation.  I'm
thinking it might be the lighter construction of the Sony plastic and the
way it installs (you have to screw these small L-shaped rails on the side of
the drive, then screw those into the chassis.

0
fbx4 (14)
1/15/2005 9:58:44 PM
Mr. Bart wrote:

> Someone above said this might be a faulty drive or a bad
> installation.  I'm thinking it might be the lighter construction of
> the Sony plastic and the way it installs (you have to screw these
> small L-shaped rails on the side of the drive, then screw those into
> the chassis.

I'm  completely stumped as to the cause of the vibration or the lackluster
response you found with the 7K60.

That's completely at odds with my experience, especially in older systems
where the machines have literally been renewed by the HD's greater speed and
throughput.

All I can say is that on the many machines I'm supporting that have the 7K60
HD installed, the fans are far noisier than the HDs and, in most instances,
I can't hear the HD at all unless I'm actively listening for it.

Regards,

James

0
James386 (394)

new hard drive + old hard drive
I think I need you guys help here. My old custom-built computer's hard drive is running out of space and it's messed up and registry doesn't look good. I was given used 20GB and try to install as local(bootable) hard drive(C:) and want to use old hard drive(13GB) as back-up storage(F:) I have XP installed now and have a CD for XP and want to clean install on new 20GB. I know to how to hook up and set up master and slave and configure bios etc and install XP with clean installation. What I want to find out is I want to use the program in old hard drive. As far as I know,I...

Hard Drive Dying
The hard drive in my Mac G3 desktop began making unhealthy sounds, as though a bearing is going. Is there a way for me to "clone" or image this hard drive to a new hard drive? Or will I have to install the new hard drive, format, and reinstall the operating system and programs from scratch? For those of you who might think the wiser course would be to scrap the G3 altogether and move up to something newer, I feel a new hard drive would be a worthwhile fix because the rest of the computer is fine. It is mostly used for word processing, web surfing, and email, so in that respect it i...

Hard drive for a new IBM
I just got a new IBM today and after installing all the programs I need I only have about 20 G's left of 40. And I haven't even started saving anything yet. Anyway, It's a brand new laptop and I'm wandering if I should get an 80 G hard drive and if so what brand name of HD and from whom should I buy it? Thanks. IS. I have a external hard drive USB 2 and it works great, has it's own case and power supply. "IS" <y@y.com> wrote in message news:bYWmd.18235$fC4.14437@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com... >I just got a new IBM today and after installing all the...

And a whacked out new year! Lot of 5, IBM SCSI Hard Drives in IBM Sled, FRU 10L6080 (auction)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=56095&item=5733738203 Nov-24-04 18:04:47 PST These hard drives come in their sleds designed to fit in IBM PC Servers like the IBM PC Server 3159, or IBM PC Server 330. This lot comes with: * Quantity of 5: 4.51GB 7200RPM Fast wide SCSI-2 Hard Drives, FRU # 10L6080 ...

Syncing folders
Hi. I have an external Hard Drive - I keep MP3 etc. on it I want a folder on my MacBook Pro hard disk that syncs to it Is this possible ben.necho@yahoo.com wrote: > Hi. > > I have an external Hard Drive - I keep MP3 etc. on it > > I want a folder on my MacBook Pro hard disk that syncs to it > > Is this possible === I use "arRsync" from .......... http://arrsync.sourceforge.net/ ... free and opensource === mikehes@gmail.com wrote: > ben.necho@yahoo.com wrote: > > Hi. > > > > I have an external Hard Drive - I keep MP3 etc. on it...

New Hard Drive -- Can one transfer data from a previous Eudora installation onto a new installation on the new drive?
Just installed a new Hard Drive which is now the Master, and re-installed Eudora 3.0 (yes it's old but it works just fine for me). My old drive (now the slave) contains all my previous settings (i.e, address book & saved messages. Can one gracefully transfer this information into the new installation. For example, is it a matter of simply copying certain files from the old drive to the new one? If so, what files? Thanks in advance Yves Thomas wrote: > Just installed a new Hard Drive which is now the Master, and > re-installed Eudora 3.0 (yes it's old but it works just fine for me). > > My old drive (now the slave) contains all my previous settings (i.e, > address book & saved messages. Can one gracefully transfer this > information into the new installation. Just take the old installation directory, copy it to the new machine, and then install Eudora in that same directory. -- Peter Yves Thomas wrote: > Just installed a new Hard Drive which is now the Master, and > re-installed Eudora 3.0 (yes it's old but it works just fine for me). > > My old drive (now the slave) contains all my previous settings (i.e, > address book & saved messages. Can one gracefully transfer this > information into the new installation. > > For example, is it a matter of simply copying certain files from the > old drive to the new one? If so, what files? > > Thanks ...

installing a new hard drive into my laptop
at the moment i only have 40gb and really need more. any ideas how to go about this? thanks kaz wrote: > at the moment i only have 40gb and really need more. any ideas how to > go about this? > > thanks > Buy a 80G (newegg, zipzoomfly) Hitachi or Ibm Travelstar and install it. Once you tell us which laptop you have, more useful info will certainly come. -- John Doue i have got a acer 2700 thank You seem like a fine young man. Check this out: https://www.synapsenow.com/synapse/data/7117/documents/TM2200_2700_UserManual.pdf What wussies! For a hard disk upgrade the...

FT: 6.4gb desktop hard drives....I need laptop hard drives
I have at least 50 6.4gb hard drives(these go in your desktop or tower, most are western digital and some are maxtor). I'd like to trade some or all of these for 4gb or 5gb laptop hard drives, the laptop drives must fit into an ibm thinkpad 600. to email me go here: http://www.geocities.com/pauldbz/ ...

Best hard drive for IBM ThinkPad T20
Hi folks... I have an old IBM ThinkPad T20 laptop, in which the original 12 GB hard disk seems about to fail any time now. I formatted the drive several times and successfully installed Windows XP SP2, but there was no improvement, as the HDD remains slow, noisy and unreliable. So, I am looking for a replacement and need answers to the following questions: - What is the best brand (e.g., Toshiba or Hitachi), in terms of reliability and performance? - Which product family to use (e.g., Travelstar, or other)? - Do I need to buy any extra fitting kit, or will the new drive hap...

Which hard drive (IBM, Toshiba, Fujitsu) for laptop ???
Please help me to choose the best solution. I need best quality and silent hard drive for my laptop Dell CPx. If you had some problems with this hard drives, write please Kris In article <bi53kc$8ju$1@atlantis.news.tpi.pl>, Krzysiek <krzysiekj@op.pl> wrote: >Please help me to choose the best solution. I need best quality and silent >hard drive for my laptop Dell CPx. If you had some problems with this hard >drives, write please One nice indicator of quality is the length of the warranty you get with it. -- Mark ...

Plastic insulator for laptop hard drive (preventing short circuits on hard drive caddy)
Hi, I need to replace a hard drive in a laptop. The hard drive is mounted in a metal caddy. There's a brown plastic insulator glued to the metal caddy to prevent the circuit board of the original hard drive touching the metal and cause a short circuit. The plastic is custom-cut for the original hard drive (the circuit board doesn't cover the entire hard drive top surface). The new hard drive has a circuit board covering the whole hard drive top surface. So there's an area where the circuit board touches the metal of the caddy. The question is : Where can we buy some pl...

Plastic insulator for laptop hard drive (preventing short circuits on hard drive caddy) #2
Hi, I need to replace a hard drive in a laptop. The hard drive is mounted in a metal caddy. There's a brown plastic insulator glued to the metal caddy to prevent the circuit board of the original hard drive touching the metal and cause a short circuit. The plastic is custom-cut for the original hard drive (the circuit board doesn't cover the entire hard drive top surface). The new hard drive has a circuit board covering the whole hard drive top surface. So there's an area where the circuit board touches the metal of the caddy. The question is : Where can we buy some pl...

Who SELLING new IBM 7200rpm LAPTOP drives NOW ???
hi all, where can i find a seller of those new 7200rpm laptop drives. pls advice, thx -V >where can i find a seller of those new 7200rpm laptop drives. Vince, click the down-arrow to the right of the box in the middle of this site: http://tinyurl.com/fuik John http://www.thinkpads.com/start.htm#Model I believe you can only buy them with the purchase of a new laptop (IBM and Dell, are the only ones I know of now) according to this article: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1094173,00.asp The original press release at hitachi also says something to that effect. -G &q...

Fitting new hard drive for Pavillion laptop (ze5700)
Hi, A friend has asked me to fix their laptop. I'm no expert on these things so I've got a bit stuck on something that should be very easy. It needs a new hard drive (I found) but I can't remove the old one. I followed the instructions in the manual saying to remove the screws and then to let it gently slide out. But this hard drive is stuck solid. I don't think it's really the hard drive, the black bit of plastic that you pull on is firlmy attached on the opposite side to the screws. It's stuck on the sliver surround of the keyboard as if there's some other screw...

SOLUTION! IBM Hard Drive only recognized as 33GB hard drive, but is more >>>82.3GB
KEYWORDS: IBM Hard Drive 33GB 32.83GB 82.3GB FDisk Windows XP NTFS FAT32 work full capacity maximum limitation jumpers Hi everyone, I read a bunch of these newsgroups for the last couple days and have spent several hours trying to fix my problem with no luck. Finally after rereading some of the posts and rethinking the problem I have finally fixed my problem. So, Dust off that old hard drive and make it work! I did! Here was my problem: I got a new computer that has an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe with an Intel P4-3.0Ghz HT chip and 1 GB of DDRAM. It came with a new 115GB hard dr...

Just fitted a new hard drive on this Pavillion ze5700ea laptop
Hi, It's a 40Gb drive to replace the old 30Gb one. First off, I just put the drive in and put the XP installation disc in but it thought the HD was about 7Gb and wouldn't install anything on it. I went to the BIOS. The HD is set to Auto. This is a summary of the BIOS setting - Type: Auto LBA Format Total sectors 94918400 Max capacity 48598MB I changed to "User" to see what else was there - Type: User CHS Format Cylinders 14335 Heads 16 Sectors 63 Max capacity 7398MB then it listed the same LBA information. Why is the XP installation seeing the CHS format? Why is thi...

low cost replacement hard drive for IBM Thinkpad i1400 laptop
Hi Can anyone recommend a good UK supplier of used or refurbished laptop drives? My friends laptop drive is failing and I'm looking for a compatible replacement. I tried lime search and google but most suppliers dont have the lower capacity drives in stock. As I've been unable to find out the maximum size drive this laptop can use with I'd prefer to stick with the same size. So I'm looking for a supplier that has them available. Hope someone can help. Thanks for any info. BTW... This is the second IBM drive that has failed!! The original one was repla...

need help hooking up IBM hard drive fm HP laptop
Hi, This is a hd from a HP laptop. It has personal data on it that hasn't been backed up. I'm going to try to backup the data and then return the hd to HP. The HD in question is faulty, but it still spins, so I may have a shot at it. A friend swapped the replacement from HP with this one, and asked me to see if I could get his stuff off it, etc. The drive is an IBM travelstar 4200 RPM 40 gig ATA/IDE model: Ic25n040ATCS04-0 July 'o2 I never fooled with laptop stuff before so I'm kinda stuck here. I was hoping I could access it with a normal 40pin ide cable, and then us...

Installed new hard drive, OS X installer doesn't see hard drive when selecting "destination".
....but it does see it when I open Disk Utility. The hard drive doesn't show on the OS X installation step, "Select a destination volume where you want to install the Mac OS X software". Does the drive need to be initialized or something? Some info I found said that a message would come up telling me if it had to be initialized but that didn't happen. I see no option to initialize with the OS X installer disc. It's odd that the installer won't tell me what it needs before I can install on the new drive. Thanks! Jim G4 PowerBook in article 4671E5AF.F1447950...

Old 486 Laptop
I've been given an old 486 laptop and have put windows 95 ORS2 on it - but the system only saw the first 500MB or so if the hard drive - I thought Partition Magic would see the rest but it hasn't - there is an option that says LBA support above 512MB - it was disbaled now I've enbabled it but no difference. I seem to remember having the same problem with an old 486 desktop and a guy at a computer company made me a floppy disk that installed some kind of driver or something that allowed me to see bigger hard drives - but I can't remember what it was called. My drive...

HELP: Can't see 52GB on my new IBM 180GB Hard drive
I bought IBM Deskstar 180GXP hard drive and installed it as a slave drive. I finished formatting the new drive using Disk Management tool (Windows XP). Here, I can only see 128 GB of space instead of the 180 GB. I don't understand whats going on... When I ran IBM drive fitness tests, it showed 180 GB (infact 185.something GB). All the tests were successful. I don't know whats going on!! 50+GB is a substantial portion of total space. Can someone help? Also, I checked in the BIOS for the primary slave drive. It shows 132 GB there. Don't know if this would help figure out th...

Laptop died -- can I switch hard drives between laptops
I'm reasonably handy with computers but I'm kind of stymied on this one. I have a 5 year old Dell Inspiron with a Pentium III and Windows 2000. My laptop just decided to die on me. I'm pretty sure the hard drive is okay, as I replaced the hard drive less than 6 months ago. My question is, there's a lot of data I need to get off of my hard drive. If I take out the hard drive and stick it into another laptop with a Pentium M or a Pentium 4 (or even an AMD), what are the odds that the new laptop will boot up? If my idea above doesn't work, has anyone had experience ...

Having hard time retrieving Laptop hard drive data
I am trying to recover data from my laptop's hard drive. I took the hard drive out of the laptop and put it in one of those external hard drive boxes that connect to the USB port of a PC and within a few minutes the drive showed up including access to all the files inside the old hard drive. I started switching files around from one folder to another to prepare to burn them on DVD discs. Stupid mistake! I should have immediately copied the files from the old hard drive into the computer!!!!! Within about 30 minutes of switching files around, suddenly that particular hard drive disapeare...

can I use desktop hard drive as external laptop drive?
Hi. My mom gave me her old compaq presario 1200 because my desktop motherboard burnt out and I couldn't afford to fix it. The hard drive in my laptop is very small, and all of my old files are still on the hard drive from my desktop, which still is in good condition. Is there a way to connect the old hard drive (it's an internal drive)to my laptop? thanks, Kristie yes, get an external drive box for about $40, they make in USB or FWire connection, or both. I did it, works great. -- Dennis Savatski "Kristie" <kjd183@psu.edu> wrote in message news:8c9b4541.0401221503...

Web resources about - New hard drive for IBM T20 - comp.sys.laptops

Bill Gates backs the U.S. government in Apple's iPhone privacy standoff
Microsoft founder Bill Gates says he supports the U.S. government in its efforts to unearth the contents of a terrorist’s iPhone, countering ...

Uber defends driver scrutiny in wake of shooting
Uber said it was devastated by a deadly shooting spree by one of its drivers but had no plans to change its background check methods.

Is David Cameron losing touch with Britain over EU Referendum
Cameron was at it again yesterday, trying to persuade MPs that the pathetic deal would bring about a fundamental change in Britain’s relationship ...

Vanessa Hudgens & Her Mom Pay Tribute to Her Late Father
Vanessa Hudgens ‘ father passed late last month but she is keeping his memory alive and continuing to share about him on social media. The 27-year-old ...

The Establishment Does NOT Want a Woman President
I've recently come to realize that the term “ establishment ”, that mysterious entity that eludes us all, means different things to different ...

Demi Lovato Explains Her Passion After Taylor Swift 'Shade'
Demi Lovato is seemingly apologizing for throwing “shade” at Taylor Swift after her donation to Kesha . The 22-year-old entertainer took to ...

Kourtney, Khloe & Kim Kardashian Honor Robert Kardashian’s Birthday: Rob Kardashian Ignores Family For ...
If Robert Kardashian were still alive, the Keeping Up With The Kardashians clan would have celebrated his 72nd birthday Monday. But although ...

Samantha Bee Destroys John Kasich's Moderate Charade
Samantha Bee set her sights on Ohio Governor John Kasich tonight, and it was devastatingly hilarious. "In the nauseating bus terminal restroom ...

ZTE, China Mobile announce high-frequency 5G prototype
Business Wire (press release) ZTE, China Mobile announce high-frequency 5G prototype Telecom Asia Hot on the heels of Nokia's contention that ...

US, Russia announce Syria ceasefire plan, questions unresolved
Xinhua US, Russia announce Syria ceasefire plan, questions unresolved Xinhua United States Secretary of State John Kerry (R), Russian Foreign ...