No "standby" or "hibernate" options

Hi,

I have a Dell laptop (CPx) running Windows 2000.

For some reason I don't have "standy" (or "hibernate," which I know you
need to enable explicitly) in my "shutdown" options (I just have log
off, restart and shutdown).

I'm not sure what I need to do to get the options to show up. The
hardware supports it (hardware manager shows ACPI PC). And if I hit
"function escape" on the laptop, it goes into standby (and I get the
Windows "preparing to standby..." message). I just can't figure out how
to get the options to show up so I can do it via menu options and not
via a keyboard command. Not that big a deal, but annoying that Windows
doesn't present the options...

Also, no hibernate tab shows up in the power control panel.

Hi, re-installing your graphics card drivers might effect a cure.....
ChrisC
"News Reader" <SLCUUVKKQKKI@spammotel.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a Dell laptop (CPx) running Windows 2000.
>
> For some reason I don't have "standy" (or "hibernate," which I know you
> need to enable explicitly) in my "shutdown" options (I just have log
> off, restart and shutdown).
>
> I'm not sure what I need to do to get the options to show up. The
> hardware supports it (hardware manager shows ACPI PC). And if I hit
> "function escape" on the laptop, it goes into standby (and I get the
> Windows "preparing to standby..." message). I just can't figure out how
> to get the options to show up so I can do it via menu options and not
> via a keyboard command. Not that big a deal, but annoying that Windows
> doesn't present the options...
>
> Also, no hibernate tab shows up in the power control panel.

0
Chris
4/5/2005 4:01:20 PM
Chris Catt remove wrote:
> Hi, re-installing your graphics card drivers might effect a cure.....
> ChrisC

Really? I'm willing to give it a try (if I can find the drivers
somewhere), although I'm curious now what the graphics drivers would
have to do with the core power management stuff...

News Reader wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Dell laptop (CPx) running Windows 2000.
>
> For some reason I don't have "standy" (or "hibernate," which I know
> you need to enable explicitly) in my "shutdown" options (I just have
> log off, restart and shutdown).
>
> I'm not sure what I need to do to get the options to show up. The
> hardware supports it (hardware manager shows ACPI PC). And if I hit
> "function escape" on the laptop, it goes into standby (and I get the
> Windows "preparing to standby..." message). I just can't figure out
> how to get the options to show up so I can do it via menu options and
> not via a keyboard command. Not that big a deal, but annoying that
> Windows doesn't present the options...
>
> Also, no hibernate tab shows up in the power control panel.

Boot to BIOS setup and see if there is a hardware setting for standby
and/or hibernation that must be enabled.  Video drivers can prevent
these options from completing due to errors (as can many other drivers),
but I've never read or experienced drivers eliminating the feature set.
BTW, is there Fn-F12 for hibernation that works?

Also, check the Power schemes that might enable the features if the
correct scheme is selected.

quaoar (1575)
4/5/2005 5:45:57 PM
I will check the BIOS settings when I get home. But if it were not
enabled in BIOS, would I have been able to do Fn-Esc to standby? And
would Windows have given me that "preparing to standby" message?

Incidentally, I tried it a few times this morning and it didn't work
too reliably. One time it did come back when I hit the power button,
but my USB mouse wasn't recognized (I found some hints about changing
the "wake" settings, but couldn't find any such options under the
driver's "properties" tab). Another time I tried it and instead of
resuming, it simply rebooted (and yes, I am sure I didn't hold down the
power button too long -- I held it for less than a second).

Very strange. If it won't resume reliably, having the menu option does
me little good. I seem to recall hearing that these Dell laptops didn't
behave nicely with standby/resume, at least not under Windows 2000.

Replying to myself here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q242495 seems
to give the impression that power management functions won't work on
Windows 2000 server. This laptop is running Windows 2000 Advanced
Server.

But then again, in the same article it says that the "standby" option
will not show up when batteries are not detected (as would be the case
with a desktop). I have a desktop running Advanced Server and it DOES
have the standby option enabled. So the article seems to be somewhat
contradictory if not simply wrong.

Replying to myself again:

Doh! I bet they disappeared when I enabled Terminal Services a while
ago.

News Reader wrote:
> I will check the BIOS settings when I get home. But if it were not
> enabled in BIOS, would I have been able to do Fn-Esc to standby? And
> would Windows have given me that "preparing to standby" message?
>
> Incidentally, I tried it a few times this morning and it didn't work
> too reliably. One time it did come back when I hit the power button,
> but my USB mouse wasn't recognized (I found some hints about changing
> the "wake" settings, but couldn't find any such options under the
> driver's "properties" tab). Another time I tried it and instead of
> resuming, it simply rebooted (and yes, I am sure I didn't hold down
> the power button too long -- I held it for less than a second).
>
> Very strange. If it won't resume reliably, having the menu option does
> me little good. I seem to recall hearing that these Dell laptops
> didn't behave nicely with standby/resume, at least not under Windows
> 2000.

Holding the power button down usually does a shutdown - a reboot would
indicated a restart on error; tapping is all most computers need for
invoking the default power button setting, whatever it is set to do.
USB power management is in the USB Root Hub settings.

You might repost this in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell for a wider audience.

quaoar (1575)
4/5/2005 10:12:34 PM
Well, that's it. I'm sick of computers. And sick of replying to myself
:-)

Now hibernate is back (I disabled Terminal Services), but it
bluescreens every time it tries to resume from hibernate.

I give up. I'm going back to clay tablets. Not once did they ever
bluescreen on me.

"""""""""ADD ME""""""""""

Hello Partners, Please find the requirement below. Please send the updated resume along with rate and contact no. REQ#1: Title : Java Developer ( Rating Project) Duration : 6 months Rate : open Location : NY strong java, WebLogic 9.2, Web Services, Oracle REQ#2: Title : Java Developer Duration : 4 months Rate : open Location : NY Strong java, SQL REQ#3: Title : VB.Net Consultant Location : NY Duration : 4 months Rate : open Primarily looking at someone who has Excel, VB.net and Oracle (good to have). Req #4: Title : Java Developer (MSA Project) Duration : 6+ months Rate : open Location : NY Note : Please send your updated resume along with contact no karthik@bhaninfo.com : No phone calls please. Thanks & Regards Karthik BhanInfo karthik@bhaninfo.com ...

"out" and "in out"

"my" and "our"

"/a" is not "/a" ?

why "::", not "."

"or" and "and"

about "++" and "--"

"If then; if then;" and "If then; if;"

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

Hello Partners, How are you ? Please find the requirement below. Location : NY Duration : 8 mnths Rate :Open Job description: Java/J2EE Web Service Developer =B7 (4+ years of application development experience in Java/J2EE and Web service technologies. =B7 Experience with spring & Hibernate. =B7 Experience with J2EE Application Server (preferably Web logic). =B7 Preferable Aqua logic DSP Experience =B7 Preferable Sonic ESB Composite Service experience Experience w...

puts "\\".gsub("\\", "\\\\")

Question about "sprintf" "@" "do for"

Gary Sokolich """"""

How to change "/" to "\"
Now, the output as below /a/b/c.txt b/c.txt x:/b/c.txt , Need to change x:\b\c.txt #!/bin/ksh # echo.ksh a=/a/b/c.txt echo $a echo ${a#/*/} y=`echo x:/${a#/*/} | tr -s '/' '\'` echo $y moon wrote: > Now, the output as below > > /a/b/c.txt > b/c.txt > x:/b/c.txt , Need to change x:\b\c.txt > > > #!/bin/ksh > # echo.ksh > a=/a/b/c.txt > echo $a > echo ${a#/*/} > y=`echo x:/${a#/*/} | tr -s '/' '\'` > echo $y > > One escape necessary: echo x:/${a#/*/} | tr -s '/' '\\' Two escapes necessar...

why have both "." and "->" ?
I used to remember why c++ needed both ? Could somebody help me here ? For example class A{ f(); }; A* aa; You could do either "aa->f()" or "(*aa).f()". So why does C++ need both operators. Raj "raj" <rajkumar@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht news:d7fee6d0.0406230748.694b966b@posting.google.com... > I used to remember why c++ needed both ? > Could somebody help me here ? > > For example > > class A{ > f(); > }; > > A* aa; > > You could do either "aa->f()" or "(*aa).f()". So why does C++...

"==" is NOT TRUE "==", WHY?
[CODE START] x=5; y=8; if (x + y + 1E-15 == 13) a = 3 else a = 8 end [CODE END] When x + y + 1E-15, the code above returns a = 8. When x + y + 1E-16, the code above returns a = 3. Why? Kindly advise. Thanks. "onemilimeter Chen" <onemm@example.com> wrote in message <g7adrj$5tr$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > [CODE START] > x=5; > y=8; > if (x + y + 1E-15 == 13) > a = 3 > else > a = 8 > end > [CODE END] > > When x + y + 1E-15, the code above returns a = 8. > When x + y + 1E-16, the code above returns a = 3. > > Why? ...

how to change "/" to "\"
iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing the pattrern "/" to "\" using the sed command. olympie@gmail.com wrote: > iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing > the pattrern "/" to "\" using the sed command. sed 's/\//\\/g' will replace all '/' with '\' srp -- http://saju.net.in Saju Pillai <saju.pillai@gmail.com> wrote: >> iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing >> the pattrern "/" to "\" using ...

"A" is not equal "A"?
I was trying to convert String Array to String A through cycle and than compare the result with String B but eventhough results were the same it returned false. I'am working in BlueJ 3.1.0 Code is: public boolean Method () { String[] Example = {"a","b","c"}; String A = ""; String B = "abc" for (int i = 0; i<3 ; i++) { A = A + Example[i]; } if (A == B) { return true; } } never got true... I appreciate any suggestions how to solve this Den 08.04.2014 10:06, skrev 245dav@gmail.com:...

Re: "out" and "in out"
"no reliable initial value" means, you cannot rely on the value, but it may have a value. This depends on the parameter passing mechanism, which is _not_ related to the parameter mode (contrary to what many people think). So the parameter mode is there (nearly) solely for the information of the reader. The parameter passing mechanism for all kinds of parameters is defined in the RM. There are parameters passed by copy (in and out), by reference; for some it is explicitly left undefined. In your case, the passing mechanism is by reference, so you get what you get. But don't rely...

what does the "+" and the "-" mean?
I recently read what the "+" and the "-" signs mean for compact discs. Of course, a friend has just asked me and I now forget. I've searched all over the place with no results. Anyone know? TIA! .. -------------------------------------- Mike Richter, were you born with "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face? -------------------------------------- roscoe james wrote: > > I recently read what the "+" and the "-" signs mean for compact discs. Of > course, a friend h...

Is there any """Anti Stringizing operator #"""
Hi everybody:D I've a string that contains the name of a class. Some members told that I can use """Stringizing Operator (#)""", but the problem is here, that I have the string, & I want something vice- versa. As we know with """Stringizing Operator (#)""", we can get the stirng name of a class or ... str <--- #ClassA But I want to instantiate a class that I have just it's name as a string. ClassA * clsA = new ??? <--- Str ??? How can I do it? I don't want to use """HardCoding"&qu...

"ClientConn", "ClientRate" and "Connect"
Hello. Is a ratecontrol and conncontrol features not work for networks described via connect in access ? For example: -----part of /etc/mail/access----- ClientConn:192.168.1 1 ClientRate:192.168.1 1 Connect:192.168.1 RELAY ----------------------------------- -- Regards, Sergey Sergey wrote: > Is a ratecontrol and conncontrol features not work for networks described via connect in access ? > For example: > ClientConn:192.168.1 1 > ClientRate:192.168.1 1 > Connect:192.168.1 RELAY See cf/README. Connect:cy...

Web resources about - No "standby" or "hibernate" options - comp.sys.laptops