Non-IBM alternative to "IBM Access Connections" ?

I'm looking for an application (or heck, even a cheap registry patch!)
that will allow a laptop to switch between wired and wireless
connections automatically, preferring wired Ethernet of course.  I
know that IBM Access Connections is such an application that does it
for IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad's, but I'm looking for something more generic
for use on any laptop with Windows XP.

Does such an animal exist?

-Rob

0
xxy (5)

XP should already be able to do this automatically.  Go to the Network
Connections folder.  Select 'Advanced' from the menu bar, 'Advanced
Settings'.  The 'Adaptors and Bindings tab will show a connections window
with the priority for the connections.

The higher in the list, the higher the priority.  I have my wired
connections up top and my wireless connection below.

Hopefully this is what you are looking for.

Simon

"Rob" <xxy@xxz.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking for an application (or heck, even a cheap registry patch!)
> that will allow a laptop to switch between wired and wireless
> connections automatically, preferring wired Ethernet of course.  I
> know that IBM Access Connections is such an application that does it
> for IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad's, but I'm looking for something more generic
> for use on any laptop with Windows XP.
>
> Does such an animal exist?
>
> -Rob

0
sthan7 (10)
2/20/2006 5:50:19 PM
I'm not sure if that stops your wireless adapter from connecting to
the access point at all though.  That's what I want.  I still get two
IP addresses (one per adapter) and I want to stop that.

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 12:50:19 -0500, "simon" <sthan7@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>XP should already be able to do this automatically.  Go to the Network
>Connections folder.  Select 'Advanced' from the menu bar, 'Advanced
>Settings'.  The 'Adaptors and Bindings tab will show a connections window
>with the priority for the connections.
>
>The higher in the list, the higher the priority.  I have my wired
>connections up top and my wireless connection below.
>
>Hopefully this is what you are looking for.
>
>Simon
>
>"Rob" <xxy@xxz.com> wrote in message
>> I'm looking for an application (or heck, even a cheap registry patch!)
>> that will allow a laptop to switch between wired and wireless
>> connections automatically, preferring wired Ethernet of course.  I
>> know that IBM Access Connections is such an application that does it
>> for IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad's, but I'm looking for something more generic
>> for use on any laptop with Windows XP.
>>
>> Does such an animal exist?
>>
>> -Rob

0
xxy (5)
2/20/2006 6:26:13 PM
Here's a product you can try, the 'lite' version is free too:
http://www.bvrp.com/eng/products/connectionmanager/Default.asp

You could also just manually disable the wireless connection when you don't
need it...  Or you could uncheck the "Connect when this network is in range"
option in the 'Connection' tab for your wireless connection.  You would then
have to double click on the wireless network when you need it.

Here's another app you might find useful:
http://www.mobilenetswitch.com/

> I'm not sure if that stops your wireless adapter from connecting to
> the access point at all though.  That's what I want.  I still get two
> IP addresses (one per adapter) and I want to stop that.
>

> On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 12:50:19 -0500, "simon" <sthan7@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>XP should already be able to do this automatically.  Go to the Network
>>Connections folder.  Select 'Advanced' from the menu bar, 'Advanced
>>Settings'.  The 'Adaptors and Bindings tab will show a connections window
>>with the priority for the connections.
>>
>>The higher in the list, the higher the priority.  I have my wired
>>connections up top and my wireless connection below.
>>
>>Hopefully this is what you are looking for.
>>
>>Simon
>>
>>"Rob" <xxy@xxz.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm looking for an application (or heck, even a cheap registry patch!)
>>> that will allow a laptop to switch between wired and wireless
>>> connections automatically, preferring wired Ethernet of course.  I
>>> know that IBM Access Connections is such an application that does it
>>> for IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad's, but I'm looking for something more generic
>>> for use on any laptop with Windows XP.
>>>
>>> Does such an animal exist?
>>>
>>> -Rob

0
sthan7 (10)
2/20/2006 6:51:49 PM
Cool.  Thanks for the options.  I'll take a look at them.

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 13:51:49 -0500, "simon" <sthan7@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Here's a product you can try, the 'lite' version is free too:
>http://www.bvrp.com/eng/products/connectionmanager/Default.asp
>
>You could also just manually disable the wireless connection when you don't
>need it...  Or you could uncheck the "Connect when this network is in range"
>option in the 'Connection' tab for your wireless connection.  You would then
>have to double click on the wireless network when you need it.
>
>Here's another app you might find useful:
>http://www.mobilenetswitch.com/

0
xxy (5)

"""""""""ADD ME""""""""""

"ClientConn", "ClientRate" and "Connect"
Hello. Is a ratecontrol and conncontrol features not work for networks described via connect in access ? For example: -----part of /etc/mail/access----- ClientConn:192.168.1 1 ClientRate:192.168.1 1 Connect:192.168.1 RELAY ----------------------------------- -- Regards, Sergey Sergey wrote: > Is a ratecontrol and conncontrol features not work for networks described via connect in access ? > For example: > ClientConn:192.168.1 1 > ClientRate:192.168.1 1 > Connect:192.168.1 RELAY See cf/README. Connect:cy...

Hello Partners, Please find the requirement below. Please send the updated resume along with rate and contact no. REQ#1: Title : Java Developer ( Rating Project) Duration : 6 months Rate : open Location : NY strong java, WebLogic 9.2, Web Services, Oracle REQ#2: Title : Java Developer Duration : 4 months Rate : open Location : NY Strong java, SQL REQ#3: Title : VB.Net Consultant Location : NY Duration : 4 months Rate : open Primarily looking at someone who has Excel, VB.net and Oracle (good to have). Req #4: Title : Java Developer (MSA Project) Duration : 6+ months Rate : open Location : NY Note : Please send your updated resume along with contact no karthik@bhaninfo.com : No phone calls please. Thanks & Regards Karthik BhanInfo karthik@bhaninfo.com ...

"out" and "in out"

"or" and "and"

"my" and "our"

network: "Connection Failed", no "Connect As..."
hello, i have two macs and a windows 2000 server. both macs can see the win box in the Finder's SHARED section. one mac can connect to it, using the saved Administrator credentials. the other mac (new one), cannot -- it just says "Connection Failed" each time i click it. i click "Connect As...", but it never shows me the login prompt. i have rebooted. any ideas whats up? thanks, sm ...

"/a" is not "/a" ?

why "::", not "."

about "++" and "--"

"If then; if then;" and "If then; if;"

IBM "preview" of "major" (???) enhancements for mainframe COBOL
I don't know if this link will copy and work, but in this week's announcement from IBM there is a previow of their next release of z/OS and include in the announcement is a lot of talk of enhancements to the COBOL (with Java and DB2) "batch" environement. Try this link, http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?subtype=ca&infotype=an&appname=iSource&supplier=897&letternum=ENUS211-007 Look for the paragraphs with, "z/OS V1.13 is planned to introduce many capabilities to help write new applications and systems programs, and extend existing p...

Other "web places" (especially for IBM COBOL "lurkers")
Particularly to IBM COBOL people (who may lurk here in comp.lang.cobol) As someone who used to maintain the COBOL FAQ (but hasn't done updates in several years) and as a follow-up to "IBM Mainframe people don't see many web sites / groups to follow" sentiment in a recent post in comp.lang.cobol.. 1) There is a relatively new IBM site for all things *IBM* COBOL-ish. Check out the "IBM COBOL Cafe" at: http://www-949.ibm.com/software/rational/cafe/community/cobol This is STRICTLY for IBM products. Therefore, if you are using Compuware, CA, SyncSort, or Mic...

Why does "Linux Company" IBM support a "crime against humanity" ????
The answer is money. It's always about money for these "linux companies" like IBM and Google. <quote> Electronic Frontier Foundation February 5, 2015 | By Nadia Kayyali EFF Files Amicus Brief in Case That Seeks to Hold IBM Responsible for Facilitating Apartheid in South Africa This case isn't about general-purpose technology being cleverly misused by a malicious government. Rather, this case is about corporate collaboration in governmental human rights abuses, through the creation of a customized technology solution for the known and intended purpose of...

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

X31 "access IBM" button question
I just bought an X31 off ebay am having a few config issues. It didn't come with a disk. So, I put a clean copy of XP on a 2.5 drive and installed it and got a Blue Screen error: "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer .... ***Stop: 0x0000007B (0xF8973640,0xC0000034,0x0000000,0x0000000) " I put the bios into debug mode and subsequent reboots it does the memory, device checkout and then goes to the boot which gives the above message. It says at the bottom, to interrupt normal startup, press the blue Access IBM button....

Difference between "Connection accepts" and "Connection requests"
Hello, In output from netstat (e.g. "netstat -p tcp -a | grep -i conn"), I see lines like: 2755505 connection requests 340186 connection accepts 3086161 connections established (including accepts) 3428998 connections closed (including 2379842 drops) 0 connections with ECN capability 785 embryonic connections dropped 119647 Connections dropped due to bad ACKs What's the difference between the connection-lines? Specifically: What's the difference between "connection requests" and "connection accepts&quo...

IBM announced newest release of product including "IBM COBOL for Windows"
This week, IBM announced the latest release of the *ONLY* product that they now sell that include a currently supported version of "IBM COBOL for Windows". See: http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/rep_ca/0/897/ENUS209-380/ENUS209-380.PDF It appears (but I haven't seen the details) that there are new installation options that will allow a user to better "tailor" which features of RDz they want installed. NOTE WELL: This does NOT mean that there are options for only BUYING those features that you want to use. If you are a shop that *only* wants COBOL (not PL/I...

"Do Not Disconnect"
I posted this at ipodlounge but so far no one's known the answer so I'll try here: Just bought my first iPod, a 30G Photo. I made sure that my Mac OS 10.3 has the latest iTunes installed. I have my music on an external LaCie firewire drive always plugged into my Powerbook. I have set in Itunes > Preferences > Advanced > Music Library to look in the Music folder that I've made on the external drive. iTunes sees this folder and displays all the library. When I plug in my iPod to the mac, I am using the cable that came with it. Everything I've read implies ...

IBM Gives "FOSS" Free Access to 500 Patents
"I.B.M. plans to announce today that it is making 500 of its software patents freely available to anyone working on open-source projects, like the popular Linux operating system, on which programmers collaborate and share code... "I.B.M. will continue to hold the 500 patents. But it has pledged to seek no royalties..." http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20050110235654673 -- "Linux is subversive." -- Eric S. Raymond. "The Cathedral and the Bazaar". begin Error log for Tue, 11 Jan 2005 02:09:22 -0700: Hamilcar Barca caused a Page Fa...

Hello Partners, How are you ? Please find the requirement below. Location : NY Duration : 8 mnths Rate :Open Job description: Java/J2EE Web Service Developer =B7 (4+ years of application development experience in Java/J2EE and Web service technologies. =B7 Experience with spring & Hibernate. =B7 Experience with J2EE Application Server (preferably Web logic). =B7 Preferable Aqua logic DSP Experience =B7 Preferable Sonic ESB Composite Service experience Experience w...

500 "too many non super user connections". Guilty parameter: "statement_timeout = 0"
Hello: Warning: this both a ranting and an advice to novices about stupid configuration parameter "statement_timeout", which is by default set to "0", rendering thus statements inmortal, and increasing up the number of connections occupied by days-old unused statements. If you think I am wrong, please correct me after reading on. Problems aroused after switching from postgres 6.2, where everything worked fine, to postgres 7.3 (details later). So I had no old postgresql.conf to relay on. I lost the exact wording of the 500 error, but was like this: "...

Web resources about - Non-IBM alternative to "IBM Access Connections" ? - comp.sys.laptops