PCMCIA USB 2.0 card powers down laptop on insertion

Hi,

I recently bought a this usb card for my laptop (Dell Inspiron 4150).
The thing worked fine for about a week, but now whenever I insert the
card into the slot, the computer instantly shuts off.  I tried the
second slot, with the same effect.  I also tried booting with the card
already inserted, but it powers off during boot.  I'm using WinXP, and
have the appropriate drivers installed.  Yesterday, I tried taking out
my laptop battery, thinking it was some sort of power problem (as the
battery is old and decaying anyway) , and the card worked again on
boot.  Today, I did the same thing, and the card now shuts off the
computer again!

Here's a link to the card I'm using:
http://www.syba.com/product/43/05/02/index.html

Can anyone help me out?  Thanks!

0
adberry (6)

PCMCIA USB 2.0 card powers down laptop on insertion #2
Hi, I recently bought a this usb card for my laptop (Dell Inspiron 4150). The thing worked fine for about a week, but now whenever I insert the card into the slot, the computer instantly shuts off. I tried the second slot, with the same effect. I also tried booting with the card already inserted, but it powers off during boot. I'm using WinXP, and have the appropriate drivers installed. Yesterday, I tried taking out my laptop battery, thinking it was some sort of power problem (as the battery is old and decaying anyway) , and the card worked again on boot. Today, I did the same thing, and the card now shuts off the computer again! Here's a link to the card I'm using: http://www.syba.com/product/43/05/02/index.html Can anyone help me out? Thanks! ...

PCMCIA USB 2.0 card powers down laptop on insertion #3
Hi, I recently bought a this usb card for my laptop (Dell Inspiron 4150). The thing worked fine for about a week, but now whenever I insert the card into the slot, the computer instantly shuts off. I tried the second slot, with the same effect. I also tried booting with the card already inserted, but it powers off during boot. I'm using WinXP, and have the appropriate drivers installed. Yesterday, I tried taking out my laptop battery, thinking it was some sort of power problem (as the battery is old and decaying anyway) , and the card worked again on boot. Today, I did the same thing, and the card now shuts off the computer again! Here's a link to the card I'm using: http://www.syba.com/product/43/05/02/index.html Can anyone help me out? Thanks! adberry@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I recently bought a this usb card for my laptop (Dell Inspiron 4150). > The thing worked fine for about a week, but now whenever I insert the > card into the slot, the computer instantly shuts off. I tried the > second slot, with the same effect. I also tried booting with the card > already inserted, but it powers off during boot. I'm using WinXP, and > have the appropriate drivers installed. Yesterday, I tried taking out > my laptop battery, thinking it was some sort of power problem (as the > battery is old and decaying anyway) , and the card worked again on > boot. Today, I did the same thing, and the card now shuts off the > com...

laptop usb 1.1 + scanner usb 2.0 + modem ADSL = ?????!!!!!*****
I have a laptop with a single USB 1.1 port. My new scanner (Epson 3170 usb 2.0) works fine with it and so does my ADSL modem but both can't work together. I have tried to make them "cooperate" with a Sitecom Usb pocket hub which needs an external power adapter and of course it doesn't work without it; do you think it would work if I had one? Or is there any other possibility (Pcmcia/usb card for example)? Thank you for your future wise advice. Good chance powered hub will work, but not guaranteed. Is your modem USB only? If ethernet also, as one more option, y...

2 Port USB 2.0 CardBus PC Card (PCMCIA) not recognized by Windows Explorer
Hi, I read a message about PC Cards/PCMCIA in archives -- that posting was related to power source. (The 'no-name' PC Card I purchased came with a cord, but to a PS2 mouse port -- which neither of these notebooks has... therefore, not useful...) I bought a PCMCIA 2 Port USB 2.0 (evidently NEC) -- I have tried it in both a Toshiba Satellite 2400 & a Dell Inspiron 8600. Looks like installed ok as USB ports (device manager) -- but when I test the USB port out by inserting a thumb drive, the thumb drive does not show up in Windows Explorer (but the thumb drive does show up if I ins...

PCMCIA USB 2.0 card
Hi all, I just bought a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card for my Thinkpad T30 and I guess it needs a driver for it. Is there a generic driver that will enable it to work under OS/2? I looked at the software choice website and its not obvious to me that this driver actually exists. Any help appreciated Cheng-Yang Tan Sir: Cheng-Yang Tan wrote: > Hi all, I just bought a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card for my Thinkpad T30 and I > guess it needs a driver for it. Is there a generic driver that will > enable it to work under OS/2? I looked at the software choice website > and its not obvious to me that th...

PCMCIA USB 2.0 card
I am attempting to use a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card in my ThinkPad 600E so I can utilize a USB 2.0/FireWire external DVD/CD burner. Until now the only PCMCIA card I have been using is a 3COM EtherLink III LAN card. When I plug the card in the system beeps, but the card director shows only the LAN card in the other slot. HCIMONIT also fails to show any USB 2.0 controller. What additional resources do I need to get this to work? I am able to use it from Windows 98 on this unit, so I know it is functional. Is there any information, etc. that I can crib from Win98 to get it working under OS/2? -- Dave ----------------------------------------------------------- dhdurgee<at>verizon<dot>net ----------------------------------------------------------- me@privacy.net schrieb: >I am attempting to use a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card in my ThinkPad 600E so I can >utilize a USB 2.0/FireWire external DVD/CD burner. Until now the only >PCMCIA card I have been using is a 3COM EtherLink III LAN card. When I >plug the card in the system beeps, but the card director shows only the >LAN card in the other slot. HCIMONIT also fails to show any USB 2.0 >controller. > >What additional resources do I need to get this to work? I am able to use >it from Windows 98 on this unit, so I know it is functional. Is there any >information, etc. that I can crib from Win98 to get it working under OS/2? > >-- Dave >-------------------------...

NEC USB 2.0 PCMCIA Card?
Hello, did anyone get the above to work in Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop? All I can get it to do is deliver power, if I insert a 4GB usb stick into the one of the USB 2.0 slots nothing happens. Its the same with USB Wifi stick. If I attach the powercable to an onboard usb 1.1 port and then to the card, then it will find the usb stick but shortly after it will disconnect it again. The card works fine in XP, also without the powercable. Though if I want to attach USB HDD then I need the powercable attached:) I use it on a IBM Thinkpad 770Z http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:770Z There is a ...

Power rating on Laptop USB ports #2
Are all USB 2.0 ports on Laptops rated at 500ma? I have several Freecom USB 2 drives that require a 500ma port - so they will run without need of a power supply thanks Clive ...

USB 2.0 PCMCIA Card for a TiBook
Has anyone had any good (or bad) experiences with a USB 2.0 PCMCIA Card for a TiBook? I've found a few that advertise OS X support, but personal recommendations are always cool. I'm running 10.3.2/Panther. Thanks in advance... Duke ...

Laptop to Laptop by Wireless #2
Hi Everyone I need some help with a question please? Me and a couple of mates have Wireless Laptops and wanna set up a LAN. Is it possible to do this without going thru a router, kinda like running a "Virtual Router" or something on one laptop and the others connect into it? If it helps we wanna play Civ 3 Conquests Multiplayer, I am pretty sure it either uses TCP/IP. I have set up normal cable networks before at home and have done a quick Google on it to no avail! I have ordered a Netger WGT634UK for the home ready, but this is just if we are at work and wanna have a quick go. ...

Laptop to Laptop by Wireless #2
Hi Everyone I need some help with a question please? Me and a couple of mates have Wireless Laptops and wanna set up a LAN. Is it possible to do this without going thru a router, kinda like running a "Virtual Router" or something on one laptop and the others connect into it? If it helps we wanna play Civ 3 Conquests Multiplayer, I am pretty sure it either uses TCP/IP. I have set up normal cable networks before at home and have done a quick Google on it to no avail! I have ordered a Netger WGT634UK for the home ready, but this is just if we are at work and wanna have a quick go. ...

Any USB 2.0 PCMCIA cards for 5.4?
I've tried Adaptec and Compusa store brand, and they both seem to work in USB 1 mode only. Anyone know one that gives full 2.0 speed and support? Thanks, Ted Ted Nolan <tednolan> <ted@loft.tnolan.com> wrote: : I've tried Adaptec and Compusa store brand, and they both seem to work : in USB 1 mode only. Anyone know one that gives full 2.0 speed and : support? : FreeBSD 5.x, according to the ECHI man page, doesn't work well with USB 2.0. Supposed to work much better in 6.0. That has been my experince - USB 1.1 is fine, USB 2.0 is not too good. Bruce -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------ "I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX. - Thuganlitha The Power and the Prophet Robert Don Hughes In article <djmpmj04j1@enews1.newsguy.com>, Bruce Burden <brucegb@realtime.net> wrote: > > >Ted Nolan <tednolan> <ted@loft.tnolan.com> wrote: >: I've tried Adaptec and Compusa store brand, and they both seem to work >: in USB 1 mode only. Anyone know one that gives full 2.0 speed and >: support? >: > FreeBSD 5.x, according to the ECHI man page, doesn't > work well with USB 2.0. Supposed to work much better in > 6.0. > > That has been my experince - USB 1.1 is fine, USB 2.0 > is not too good. > > Bruce Hmm, oh ...

usb 2.0 cardbus hangs laptop (ehci problem)
Hi, I have just upgraded to debian testing (latest kernel) on my old laptop. I hoped the newest kernel would solve this issue, but it's still here. I am trying to use a pcmcia (cardbus) usb 2.0 card. It's found & usb driver are loaded. (see next). But when I connect an usb2.0 device (such as dvb-t card) the laptop hangs until I remove the card. Googling I've found a similar problem, and it pointed to the ehci. disabling ehci (removing the kernel driver after plugging in the card) solves the hangs. But this way I have a usb1.1 and I need a 2.0 for the tv card. any idea? these are the log files: lspci -n 06:00.0 0c03: 10b9:5237 (rev 03) 06:00.3 0c03: 10b9:5239 (rev 01) lspci -v 06:00.0 USB Controller: ALi Corporation USB 1.1 Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 10 [OHCI]) Subsystem: ALi Corporation USB 1.1 Controller Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 16, IRQ 11 Memory at 26000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K] Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 2 06:00.3 USB Controller: ALi Corporation USB 2.0 Controller (rev 01) (prog-if 20 [EHCI]) Subsystem: ALi Corporation USB 2.0 Controller Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11 Memory at 26001000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256] Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2 Capabilities: [58] Debug port dmesg pccard: CardBus card inserted into slot 1 PCI: Enabling device 0000:06:00.3 (0000 -> 000...

usb 2.0 cardbus hangs laptop (ehci problem)
Hi, I have just upgraded to debian testing (latest kernel) on my old laptop. I hoped the newest kernel would solve this issue, but it's still here. I am trying to use a pcmcia (cardbus) usb 2.0 card. It's found & usb driver are loaded. (see next). But when I connect an usb2.0 device (such as dvb-t card) the laptop hangs until I remove the card. Googling I've found a similar problem, and it pointed to the ehci. disabling ehci (removing the kernel driver after plugging in the card) solves the hangs. But this way I have a usb1.1 and I need a 2.0 for the tv card. any idea? thes...

USB 2.0 PCMCIA card and Compaq Presario 2197
Hi, Anybody got Presario 2197 (which has USB 1.1 built in) working with a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card? I tried three different cards but can only get a speed of a couple of times of USB 1.1. Even worse is that an external hard drive (AcomData) can't be even recognized by any of the cards and the laptop willl freeze a few seconds after. The cards all work fine with a 3-4 year old IBM laptop. So I think this is a problem of my Presario. I have sent my laptop to HP for service for two times but they didn't fix it. A few days ago I called again and they refused to service, claiming that this is ...

USB 2.0 PCMCIA card very slow on Presario 2197
Hi, Anybody got Presario 2197 (which has USB 1.1 built in) working with a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card? I tried three different cards but can only get a speed of a couple of times of USB 1.1. Even worse is that an external hard drive (AcomData) can't be even recognized by any of the cards and the laptop willl freeze a few seconds after. The cards all work fine with a 3-4 year old IBM laptop. So I think this is a problem of my Presario. I have sent my laptop to HP for service for two times but they didn't fix it. A few days ago I called again and they refused to service, claiming th...

Laptop Drives for USB 2.0 (4200 v. 5400)
I've been looking for information about USB 2.0 performance using external 5400 rpm 2-1/2" drives versus 4200. I'm inclinded to believe that there would be little difference in performance for backing up large images. Has anyone seen any info or had experience with this? Thanks. > I've been looking for information about USB 2.0 performance using > external 5400 rpm 2-1/2" drives versus 4200. I'm inclinded to believe > that there would be little difference in performance for backing up > large images. Has anyone seen any info or had experience ...

Any recommendations as to type and brand of usb 2.0 pcmcia card?
Prices range from around $25 to $75. Some seem to require external power others seem to use a jumper to the original usb port for power. Some talk about dongles others say no dongles. thanks, Mike remove "-nospam" from email to reply i would buy an externally powered usb 2.0 hub and buy a cheaper usb 2.0 non powered card. -- Ian Lincoln Independent I.T Consultant "Mike Maas" <docmaas-nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:chj7gv8q774ofl1dd0mb7fo8mcd0b8dcfb@4ax.com... > Prices range from around $25 to $75. Some seem to require external > power others seem...

PCMCIA USB 2.0 Card and IBM Thinkpad A20m freeze
Is there a fix for this, or a different card that will work better? My IBM Thinkpad A20m freezes when I *stop and then remove* my 'Zonet USB 2.0 + Firewire Combo PC card'. Otherwise the card seems to work properly. Zonet told me it's probably a shortcomming as a result of the older motherboard. So, is it a 'Zonet card' problem, or will all combo, and/or USB 2.0 only cards cause a freeze when I stop and then remove the card? Thanks in advance for any input here. -Dennis -- Dennis Kessler http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture dk_ wrote: > > Is there a fix for this, or a different card that will work better? > > My IBM Thinkpad A20m freezes when I *stop and then remove* my 'Zonet USB > 2.0 + Firewire Combo PC card'. Otherwise the card seems to work properly. > > Zonet told me it's probably a shortcomming as a result of the older > motherboard. > > So, is it a 'Zonet card' problem, or will all combo, and/or USB 2.0 only > cards cause a freeze when I stop and then remove the card? > > Thanks in advance for any input here. > > -Dennis > > -- > Dennis Kessler > http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture Isn't there a problem with crappy PCMCIA drivers for IBM laptops of this era? I know on a T20 the driver can cause problems when you aren't even using the card slots. Rick In article <44DFE4F2.67B96ABC@rcn.com>, Rick <rickajho@rcn.com> wrote:...

Digital TV on a laptop through USB 2.0 device, does it work for anyone here?
Would like to hear from anyone having good results viewing this. I have a Toshiba M35X with integrated video, and it has trouble playing back some high-resolution, high-motion videos from its own hard drive, so I imagine this would even be worse playing back a digital video image filtered through its USB port. The varous websites touting digital TV adaptors are all a bit coy on the quality of display produced on laptops, and some specify that integrated graphics cards won't work. Frozen or pixilated images really ruin my experience of watching TV on a laptop. I can receive a dozen digital stations OTA at home, and I have been thinking that a USB ATSC & NTSC receiver might be a substitute from a set-top box digital/analog converter for my old analog TV, in addition to being of use when away from home. The groups and sites dedicated to digital TV are not very helpful in getting this kind of information. On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 04:04:02 GMT, "ArtFD" <adembinski@hotmail.com> wrote: >Would like to hear from anyone having good results viewing this. I have a >Toshiba M35X with integrated video, and it has trouble playing back some >high-resolution, high-motion videos from its own hard drive, so I imagine >this would even be worse playing back a digital video image filtered through >its USB port. The varous websites touting digital TV adaptors are all a >bit coy on the quality of display produced on laptops, ...

Something like FT245BM for USB 2.0 ? Parallel -> USB with real USB 2.0 bandwidth ?
Hello, is there a chip, in functionality like a FT245BM for USB 2.0 ? I found on websites mentioning the FT245BM compatible for USB 2.0, but i think they don't use USB 2.0, because transfer rate is "only" 1 MByte/s, which looks like high speed USB. Is there a faster parallel USB chip, which achieves more than 1 MByte / s ? I think with USB 2.0 there must be at least a factor of 10 to this speed ? Regards, Martin "Martin Maurer" <capiman@clibb.de> wrote in news:c26q04$kkf$04$1@news.t-online.com: > Hello, > > is there a chip, in functional...

Upgrade laptop USB 1 to USB 2
Hi, I wish to change my laptop with a USB 1 to USB2. It does have a free mini PCI slot inside and I have been told that one can upgrade to usb2 by putting a usb pci card in. It does NOT have a PMCIA slot. Any help here please. It is a non brand with the number N34AS1. I believe it is a Clevo, Highlander or one of the many brands these came out as. It is 2.4 CPU with 1MB ram and 20 GB hard drive. Thanks for any help. rock In news:477d8500$0$32673$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au, Rock typed on Fri, 04 Jan 2008 11:57:43 +1100: > Hi, > > I wish to change my laptop with a USB 1 to USB2. > > It does have a free mini PCI slot inside and I have been told that > one can upgrade to usb2 by putting a usb pci card in. It does NOT > have a PMCIA slot. > Any help here please. > > It is a non brand with the number N34AS1. I believe it is a Clevo, > Highlander or one of the many brands these came out as. > > It is 2.4 CPU with 1MB ram and 20 GB hard drive. > > Thanks for any help. > > > rock Wow, you are kidding, right? Something with 2.4GHZ with 1GB.... whoa wait! 1MB of RAM? You mean 1GB right? With a 1MB, that would be like a 286 or a 386 (and some 486) machines made over 15 years ago. Oh with a 20GB HD... well that would put it about when the change over from USB1 to USB2 had taken place (2000-2002 era). No PCMCIA slot you say? Btw, a lot of people call them PC Card slots nowadays. I personally don't go for the i...

Change laptop USB 1 to USB 2
Hi, I wish to change my laptop with a USB 1 to USB2. It does have a free mini PCI slot inside and I have been told that one can upgrade to usb2 by putting a usb pci card in. It does NOT have a PMCIA slot. Any help here please. It is a non brand with the number N34AS1. I believe it is a Clevo, Highlander or one of the many brands these came out as. It is 2.4 CPU with 1MB ram and 20 GB hard drive. Thanks for any help. rock ...

Can a Power Mac 8600 with PCI slots support a USB 2.0 card
Can a Power Macintosh 8600 with PCI slots support a USB 2.0 card that says it work with a Mac. I am running OS 9.1 and I would like to use my HP photo printer with the 8600 and OS 9.2. I would like to share the printer with my G4 running OS 10.3.5 as well. It already has USB 2.0. "John Orwen" <jorwen@neb.rr.com> writes: > > Can a Power Macintosh 8600 with PCI slots support a USB 2.0 card > that says it work with a Mac. I am running OS 9.1 and I would like > to use my HP photo printer with the 8600 and OS 9.2. I would like > to share the printer with my G4...

Web resources about - PCMCIA USB 2.0 card powers down laptop on insertion - comp.sys.laptops

Insertion loss - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Insertion at Sunrise - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Marines with Bravo Company, 1st Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment, insert into Tagvreshk Village by CH-53E Super Stallion helicopters during a mission ...

Samsung Galaxy Note 5 now features a warning about backwards S Pen insertion
Not too long after Samsung's Galaxy Note 5 was released to the masses, many consumers began trying to insert the S Pen in their devices the wrong ...

Microsoft updates OneNote for iOS and Mac with OneDrive access, file insertion, more
Microsoft on Tuesday rolled out a major update to its Apple-centric OneNote product line, adding new features like access to notes stored in ...

Optomeditech Helps Solve Catheter Insertion & Grabs $2.5 Million From Lifeline And Sitra
... is as high as 30%. That means injury, extra costs for equipment, lost time. All of which matters a lot in healthcare. “Every catheter insertion ...

Steam vulnerability can lead to remote insertion of malicious code
Aurich Lawson Millions of Steam users are potentially vulnerable to a newly disclosed attack method that exploits a hole in the way Steam commands ...

eBay Sees E-Commerce Growth Slowing In ’08; To Unveil Plans To Cut Insertion Fees, Raise Final Value ...
The economy, you will not be shocked to learn, can affect eBay. In an interview this afternoon with Tech Trader Daily, eBay CFO Bob Swan says ...

Why Understanding the Value of Dynamic Ad Insertion is so Important to Content Owners and Broadcasters ...
Dynamic Ad Insertion (DAI) is a concept that has been discussed in the cable TV industry for years. The reason is simpleDAI has the potential ...

Toshiba Unveils SOI Process Achieving the Lowest-class Insertion Loss in the Industry for RF Switches ...
... for RF switch applications in smartphones that achieve TarfSOI front-end process optimized for RF switches, achieves the lowest-class insertion ...

Democrats Booed Re-Insertion of God, Affirmation of Israel's Capital in Platform
-By Warner Todd Huston Earlier in the day on Wednesday, the Democrat Party suffered two embarrassments over its platform by the elimination both ...