Removable CD drive / floppy drive not recognised

This is on a Panasonic toughbook CF29. When you insert the removable
CD drive it doesnt recognise it - running Windows 2000.

Any ideas what would be the first thing to check?

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 10:20:28 -0700, "BertieBigBollox@gmail.com"
<BertieBigBollox@gmail.com> wrote:

>This is on a Panasonic toughbook CF29. When you insert the removable
>CD drive it doesnt recognise it - running Windows 2000.
>
>Any ideas what would be the first thing to check?

Are you saying that neither CD nor floppy drive are recognised?

Insert a bootable CD/Floppy and see if you can boot to Dos.

I had a similar problem with a Thinkpad T23 some time ago. Windows XP
would not recognise the CD player, but Dos did. Then at least I knew
it was not a hardware problem.

Re-installing windows on top did not fix it. Fortunately I had a Ghost
image of the Windows partition so I could restore it. It works fine
now, but it is a bit frustrating I never really found out what was
wrong with it.

Lars
Stockholm
0
Lars3497 (138)
9/4/2007 5:51:30 PM
BertieBigBollox@gmail.com wrote:
> This is on a Panasonic toughbook CF29. When you insert the removable
> CD drive it doesnt recognise it - running Windows 2000.
>
> Any ideas what would be the first thing to check?

Tried rebooting it?

I know mine requires a reboot when changing the drives or even just
inserting the CD/DVD drive.

0
Kraftee
9/4/2007 8:14:49 PM
On 4 Sep, 21:14, "Kraftee" <kraftee@b&e-cottee.me.uk> wrote:
> BertieBigBol...@gmail.com wrote:
> > This is on a Panasonic toughbook CF29. When you insert the removable
> > CD drive it doesnt recognise it - running Windows 2000.
>
> > Any ideas what would be the first thing to check?
>
> Tried rebooting it?
>
> I know mine requires a reboot when changing the drives or even just
> inserting the CD/DVD drive.

Yes. Since found out that it does need a reboot so thats fair enough...

And I've got a CF-35 with the CD but no floppy.  My computer doesn't see it
either.  It has something to do with the bios, which is so old it doesn't
have a control for CD-rom or USB port.  It will not let me reconfigure com
ports.  I tried to update the bios but it wouldn't let me.  Bummer!  Does
anyonje know if any other CF- Toughbook bios might work in the 35?

Thank you

<BertieBigBollox@gmail.com> wrote in message
> This is on a Panasonic toughbook CF29. When you insert the removable
> CD drive it doesnt recognise it - running Windows 2000.
>
> Any ideas what would be the first thing to check?

drive to drive
if you plan to be your own manual raid, drive to drive copy, then is there any advantage to pairing drive manufacturer & model? webwalker@68z28.com wrote: > if you plan to be your own manual raid, drive to drive copy, then is > there any advantage to pairing drive manufacturer & model? No. However there is the usual disadvantage, namely a higher probability of simultaneous failure. Arno -- Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@wagner.name GnuPG: ID: 1E25338F FP: 0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F ---- Cuddly UI...

SuSE on laptop with NO floppy or CD drive
Hi all, I am getting a Panasonic Toughbook R1 this Friday, and am going to try to install SuSE over the network. However, this notebook lacks FDD and CDROM drives. I am fairly inexperienced, but as far as I can tell, it can be done without floppies or CDs... I looked around at Linux.org and found the following HOWTO: linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Network-boot-HOWTO/index.html Part 6.1.-- BOOTP or DHCP capable NICs is the part that makes me think that this is definitely possible The only problem is that the guide gives very little detail on how to actually boot from the network. It just tells me that once I set up a DHCP client that I am done, but I am not sure how to do this, and what I do after??? Once I get the laptop booted I am fairly sure that I won't have a problem FTPing the install... Oh and if this all goes to hell on me, I have a backup plan: alfalab.com/toughbook.html Someone else used a USB CDROM successfully (but I would rather save my $$$) Well any suggestions or pointers will be appreciated!!! Thanks, Dean -- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/ Mingo <thejesus@godmail.com> wrote: > I am fairly inexperienced, but as far as I can tell, it can be done without > floppies or CDs... If your laptop has an internal network card and can boot from network, you should be able to setup a remote installation server, otherwise a dirty-quick solution is to...

FS: IBM Thinkpad AC adapter , CD-ROM drive, ext. floppy drive
For sale: IBM Thinkpad AC adapter - $20 IBM Thinkpad internal CD-ROM drive - $30 IBM Thinkpad external floppy drive with cabe - $30. Pictures and FRU numbers available. Please reply by e-mail. ...

Need external laptop drive case --- for SATA laptop drive
Anyone know where you can get an external USB laptop case (or just a cable type adapter), but for a 2.5" laptop drive that is Serial ATA (SATA) rather than the more mundaten IDE? My new Toshiba laptop has such a drive in it. ...

DVD drive shows up as CD drive
I daresay this has come up before and maybe someone can direct me to a more appropriate forum if they don't know the answer. I have a Dell Dimension 2400 which came with a CD drive. I replaced that drive with a DVD recordable drive manufactured by Philips. For a long time it worked without a hitch, but now it shows up as a CD-recordable drive and the software won't let me copy DVDs. There is no way - that I can find - to select a different driver for it, one that is suitable for a DVD recorder. I would guess that the solution may involve tweaking the registry in some ...

Formatting a hard drive with no floppy drive ??
Hi There Just wondered if anyone can tell me if there is any other way of formatting an un-partitioned drive on my Compaq laptop without the use of a floppy drive. The machine I have does not have a floppy fitted as standard, any I want to be able to load a different operating system on. I know that XP will just go over the top and boot from CD, but I could do with any tips on formatting the drive anyway. Thanx in advance. Mark Mark Porter wrote: > Hi There > Just wondered if anyone can tell me if there is any other way of formatting > an un-partitioned drive on my Compaq lapto...

MAC SE Floppy Drive 1.4 meg Floppy Drive (old)
I acquired a MAC SE with a 1.4 meg floppy drive. Previously I only had a Plus with an 800K floppy drive. When I tried to format one of my old disks, it still only had 800K. Did the 1.4 meg floppy drives use special disks? Or am I doing something wrong? Thank you, Bill Bill Bagot <wbagot1@san.rr.com> wrote: > I acquired a MAC SE with a 1.4 meg floppy drive. Previously I only > had a Plus with an 800K floppy drive. When I tried to format one of > my old disks, it still only had 800K. Did the 1.4 meg floppy drives > use special disks? Or am I doing something wrong? ...

Floppy Drives for Laptops
Hi, All. I have a ThinkPad R51 series, and I also have a Dell Inspiron 3500. The Dell has a floppy drive with it, which can either be used in its Media Bay, or it can be connected to the printer port by a special cable. Either way, it decodes as drive A:. I've often thought of trying to hook the Dell drive up to the ThinkPad, but I've been afraid to try it, afraid that it'll let magic the smoke out of something important. Has anyone here had any experience with doing this? Thanks! -- -- 73 DE Tom Rutherford, N8EUJ, Burton, MI "She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over." On 18.10.11 18:32, Tom Rutherford wrote: > Hi, All. > > I have a ThinkPad R51 series, and I also have a Dell Inspiron 3500. The > Dell has a floppy drive with it, which can either be used in its Media Bay, > or it can be connected to the printer port by a special cable. Either way, > it decodes as drive A:. I've often thought of trying to hook the Dell drive > up to the ThinkPad, but I've been afraid to try it, afraid that it'll let > magic the smoke out of something important. Has anyone here had any > experience with doing this? Thanks! Connecting a floppy drive via parallel port sounds somewhat unusual and I'd be surprised if the media bays of IBM and Dell are compatible - if in doubt but nevertheless in need of a floppy drive I'd recommend looking for a USB solution -...

Can flash drive substitute for CD drive?
I find I don't have sufficient disk space on one of my laptops with a CD. Another laptop has enough space but has no CD. A desktop also enough space and a CD, but it has Win98, which the software won't work on. I don't have these networked. And I would like to avoid buying a new external CD drive. As a result, I am unable to install some software (MS Streets and Trips) I bought some 2 weeks ago. Any suggestions? One thought I had was to buy a 256 MB flash drive, and copy the files from the software CD to the flash drive, in 2 steps. Will that work? ...

Drive not ready error after removing hard drive
My family has an old Gateway (from 1994). A second hard drive was installed at some point (most likely by the store in which the drive was purchased). They want to give it away now, so the hard drive was removed. The computer would not boot up after this, and something like "drive not ready" appeared on the screen. (I'm not certain this is the exact error -- it was a few weeks ago when I last saw it, and I didn't write it down. I can check again later.) We had tried changing the connector that the remaining drive was attached to, as well as the power supply connector. That didn't help. We tried re-installing the 2nd hard drive as well, but it still doesn't work (not that that should be necessary, of course ... I was just curious as to what would happen). One more thing -- a small piece of hardware which is apparently from the PNY company and appears to be a memory module was found after the 2nd drive was removed. I wasn't watching, so I didn't see what happened, but I assume it was knocked out during the drive removal. I know that additional memory had been installed in that computer a few years ago, so I assume that's what that was. If that is in fact what it is, then I don't see how it could be the problem, since extra memory shouldn't be needed to boot up. I wonder, though, if that module couldn't be something else? (I've installed and replaced components inside my own computer a few times, but my...

FA: (ONE DAY LEFT) - 52X CD-RW DRIVE
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5123540215 ...

Ext. floppy drive for laptop
I have a Dell floppy drive module for Dell Laptop, the parallel port type. I want to use the drive on another laptop (Asus) which also has a parallel port. How do i set it up? TIA ...

CD drive on HP laptop
My CD drive on my HP laptop (#4410) will not recognize a CD-RW disc when put into the drive. It will play one but not write to one. I have already uninstalled the hardward & re-booted the laptop so that the software was re-installed. Also, how can I save a file to a CD-RW disc so that it is NOT "read-only"? Obviously I have 2 HP computers. Thanks. Pat Bielecki pibs@aol.com ...

Are Floppy Drives A Necessity On Laptops?
Does it make sense to order a laptop without a floppy drive? I never use floppies anyway preferring portable USB flash memory storage. Jim <mp3dontspammesupport@wi99.riverr.com> wrote: : Does it make sense to order a laptop without a floppy drive? I never use : floppies anyway preferring portable USB flash memory storage. Sounds like having a floppy won't be a necessity for you. If it ever becomes so, you can always buy a USB external floppy drive. Andrew -- ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <---- ******************************************************************* ----> htt...

Laptop floppy drive replacement
Hi I have a Toshiba T2100 but the floppy drive is broke. Can I put in a standard 'PC type' floppy as a replacement? In fact how do you disassemble the T2100 as I can't figure out how to take it to peices? regards Steve Jarvis No, you can't use a generic replacement. You will need to use a laptop floppy, and probably the exact model used by Toshiba in the T2100 (good luck). But you might find some other laptop floppy drives that will work and fit. Laptop floppy drives are very thin, less than a half-inch thick. steve wrote: > Hi > I have a Toshiba T2100 but the floppy drive is broke. Can I put in a > standard 'PC type' floppy as a replacement? In fact how do you > disassemble the T2100 as I can't figure out how to take it to peices? > > regards Steve Jarvis Back in the 80's most laptop floppies didn't use one of the voltages (12V or 5V). I don't know if this is still true or not today? Bill "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message news:4550F94B.9000600@neo.rr.com > No, you can't use a generic replacement. You will need to use a > laptop floppy, and probably the exact model used by Toshiba in the > T2100 (good luck). But you might find some other laptop floppy > drives that will work and fit. Laptop floppy drives are very thin, > less than a half-inch thick. > > > steve wrote: >> Hi >> I have a Toshiba T2...

Sony CD Drive "Drive Error"
After installing Linux 9 on my system. It was working perfectly with the exception of my SonyCRX175A1. It is a compatible device, and AGAIN the one I used to install linux with, but no matter what I try it does not work. When i look for /dev/cdrom, it doesn't exist. As a brand "newbie", does anyone have any suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated since I want to start playing in the wonderful linux world, but I need a cdrom. Thanks, On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 02:59:47 +0000, jsp wrote: > After installing Linux 9 on my system. It was working perfectly with the > exception...

laptop with malf floppy drive
I have a 5 yr old Compaq laptop with a malfunctioning floppy drive. The drive doesn't work, but it spins constatly, even when empty. This is quite a drain on the battery and on CPU cyles, it seems, as it slows down the machine. The machine is otherwise still quite usable. Is it possible to disconnect power to the drive (orphan it) and still use the machine? I have looked through the setup options in the BIOS to see if there was some way to just turn it off, but no luck. Any help would be appreciated. Grant -- Finbogey Jones On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 00:30:34 GMT, Finbogey Jones <spams...

Laptop with removable Hard Drive
Hello all, Please advice me with a model and vendor that I can siwtch between hard drives as I work between multi operating systems . I need them to be switched physically not to multiboot the hard drive. What I mean that I will have say 4 hard drives and make my laptop boot from any one I want . Please reply me in English. Thanks <ehabaziz2001@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1190246528.509403.195890@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > Hello all, > Please advice me with a model and vendor that I can siwtch between > hard drives as I work between multi operating systems . I need them to > be switched physically not to multiboot the hard drive. What I mean > that I will have say 4 hard drives and make my laptop boot from any > one I want . Please reply me in English. > Thanks > Most new laptops are now able to boot from an external USB hard drive if that option is chosen in the BIOS settings. Provided the laptop supports the option just set it to Boot from USB as your first choice and the internal hard drive as the second choice. Verify the laptop you want to purchase has these options and then just get a couple of external USB drives. Load the operating systems of your choice on them and boot the drive of your choice. In comp.sys.laptops ehabaziz2001@gmail.com wrote: > Hello all, > Please advice me with a model and vendor that I can siwtch between > hard drives as I work between multi operating systems . I need them to > ...

can I use desktop hard drive as external laptop drive?
Hi. My mom gave me her old compaq presario 1200 because my desktop motherboard burnt out and I couldn't afford to fix it. The hard drive in my laptop is very small, and all of my old files are still on the hard drive from my desktop, which still is in good condition. Is there a way to connect the old hard drive (it's an internal drive)to my laptop? thanks, Kristie yes, get an external drive box for about $40, they make in USB or FWire connection, or both. I did it, works great. -- Dennis Savatski "Kristie" <kjd183@psu.edu> wrote in message news:8c9b4541.0401221503...

Syncing folders
Hi. I have an external Hard Drive - I keep MP3 etc. on it I want a folder on my MacBook Pro hard disk that syncs to it Is this possible ben.necho@yahoo.com wrote: > Hi. > > I have an external Hard Drive - I keep MP3 etc. on it > > I want a folder on my MacBook Pro hard disk that syncs to it > > Is this possible === I use "arRsync" from .......... http://arrsync.sourceforge.net/ ... free and opensource === mikehes@gmail.com wrote: > ben.necho@yahoo.com wrote: > > Hi. > > > > I have an external Hard Drive - I keep MP3 etc. on it...

drive problems / smallish laptop hard drive for sale cheap?
So I just installed a 5300cs motherboard in my trusty old 190cs, wiped the drive and installed os9 and some Lucent wireless software, and all was right with the world. Then I installed a 3Com driver for my ethernet pcmcia card, and everything went south. Now I'm stuck with a 500 meg laptop hard drive that comes out clean according to both Disk Warrior and DFA, but won't find a system on it when you boot it on it's own - all it does is go spin*click*spin*click* on startup. So, as this is an original, 6+ year old hard drive, is anyone of an opinion that it might be savable, o...

cd rom drives not able to recognize/read cds in drive
I have a regular cdrom and a cdwriter installed on Win2000. Previous to installing recent version of Nero when I inserted a cd in either drives I was able to not only view the content of cd but the auto run was working too. After Nero installation when I insert a cd in either drive it shows the message "please insert a cd....". But if I have an audio cd and bring up for example Windows Media Player or Real Audio first, then I'm able to play the cd. I have removed the Nero software but still problem exists. I'm totally frustrated as what the problem might be. Please advise if...

laptop dosnt see cd drive
help please ...i changed the outer housing of my laptop because it was looking worn....then i put it all back together and it all starts fine but when i look in my computer it dosnt show my cd drive......if i put cd in it spins up but dosnt play,,,,,,cd drive was fine b4 and i have the one from the other laptop....that dosnt show up either....i reinstalled my recovery disk still nothing.....whats going on.....thanks "gram" <grampage@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1182879472.926596.182960@n60g2000hse.googlegroups.com... > help please ...i changed the outer housing of my laptop because it was > looking worn....then i put it all back together and it all starts fine > but when i look in my computer it dosnt show my cd drive......if i put > cd in it spins up but dosnt play,,,,,,cd drive was fine b4 and i have > the one from the other laptop....that dosnt show up either....i > reinstalled my recovery disk still nothing.....whats going > on.....thanks > It would seem most likely that you haven't put a cable back properly. ...

removing CD drive from Toshiba 4000CDS
Can anyone tell me how to remove the CD drive from a Toshiba 4000CDS or where to find instructions? Thanks, ... Peter Easthope petereasthope at canada.com shark at gulfnet dot sd64 dot bc.ca It's not terribly difficult, but you have to take the laptop COMPLETELY apart. You start by removing all of the screws on the bottom (including those inside the battery and hard drive compartments). There are 2 screws on the back. Remove the keyboard and remove the screws under the keyboard (5, I think). Disconnect all of the cables under the keyboard (about a half-dozen). ...

Web resources about - Removable CD drive / floppy drive not recognised - comp.sys.laptops

List of recognised political parties in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
India has a multi-party system with a predominance of small regional parties. Political parties that wish to contest local, state or national ...

Lesbian mothers to be automatically recognised on birth certificates in SA - AdelaideNow Search Search ...
BOTH lesbian mothers will be recognised on their child’s birth certificate — not just the woman who gives birth — under changes approved by Parliament’s ...

Schneider Electric recognised by UN for advancing gender equality
Schneider Electric has been recognised for its contribution to gender equality at the United Nations Women’s Empowerment Principles (WEP) awards. ...

Sharon recognised for volunteer excellence - Bendigo Advertiser
Bendigo Health's volunteer services manager has been recognised for excellence.

Miscarriages to be formally recognised by NSW government
From this month, thousands of women who miscarry will be able to obtain an optional "recognition of loss" certificate from the NSW government ...

John James Hospital founder Peter Hughes recognised in Queen's Birthday Honours
He founded John James Hospital, served as ACT's Liberal leader and started a national private hospital association.

UXC Connect recognised as Cisco Identity Services Engine Authorised ...
UXC Connect recognised as Cisco Identity Services Engine Authorised ... CFO World UXC Connect recognised as Cisco Identity Services Engine ...

Metronode data centres recognised for operational sustainability
Metronode has received Tier III operational sustainability gold certification from the Uptime Institute for its Silverwater and Illawarra data ...

Couple accused of carjacking spree across Brisbane arrested after being recognised at Mater Hospital ...
A COUPLE accused of a five-day crime spree across Brisbane have been arrested - thanks to a cupcake!

MuleSoft Again Recognised as a Leader in Gartner’s 2015 Enterprise Integration Platform as a Service ...
CSO Australia - News, Industry Blogs, Tools and Resources for Data Security Executives