serial port, parallel port required for newer laptops with UNIX

Hi,

I am looking for a laptop with serial and a parallel port which appears
to be endangered species now a days.

So one option is to use PCMCIA-serial card

I am thinking about buying this one ( it is without serial,parallel
ports)
Acer Aspire 5000  ( AMD Turion 64bit with DVDRW )
http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/as5000.htm

I will be using Linux,Solaris ( and never windows ) on the notebook.
Has anyone used PCMCIA-serial without much trouble on Linux? If yes
then which brand?

I will be using serial port among other reasons for programming my
microcontroller programmer boards using GPUTILS (
http://gputils.sourceforge.net )

second option would be USB<->RS232
Again has anyone used such devices with Linux,Solaris,FreeBSD?
If yes which brand/model?

What do I do about parallel port?

Has anyone found any good Docking Station working great on Linux?

Thanks
- Surinder

I run Ubuntu Linux on my IBM Thinkpad T42.  Thinkpads are well
supported in the Linux world.  The T-series Thinpad has a parallel port
but not an rs232 serial port.  FWIW, my Q-Stor PCMCIA-Firewire worked
"out of the box," no config needed.

surindersingh@yahoo.com wrote:
>I am looking for a laptop with serial and a parallel port which appears
>to be endangered species now a days.

What's wrong with the Dell Latitude?  My D600 has both, and IIRC so
does the D610...
0
William
8/9/2005 11:13:42 AM
Amazingly, the Dell Inspiron 600m current production laptop has both
serial and parallel ports built-in.

surindersingh@yahoo.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a laptop with serial and a parallel port which appears
> to be endangered species now a days.
>
> So one option is to use PCMCIA-serial card
>
> I am thinking about buying this one ( it is without serial,parallel
> ports)
> Acer Aspire 5000  ( AMD Turion 64bit with DVDRW )
> http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/as5000.htm
>
> I will be using Linux,Solaris ( and never windows ) on the notebook.
> Has anyone used PCMCIA-serial without much trouble on Linux? If yes
> then which brand?
>
> I will be using serial port among other reasons for programming my
> microcontroller programmer boards using GPUTILS (
> http://gputils.sourceforge.net )
>
> second option would be USB<->RS232
> Again has anyone used such devices with Linux,Solaris,FreeBSD?
> If yes which brand/model?
>
> What do I do about parallel port?
>
> Has anyone found any good Docking Station working great on Linux?
>
> Thanks
> - Surinder

0
WatzmanNOSPAM (5711)

Serial and parallel ports on laptops
Hello, I'm just wondering if one needs serial and parallel ports on laptops?? Lots of laptops come without these ports. Should I try to get a laptop who have these ports? Only thing I use my parallel port is, scanner and printer. I guess new devices have USB option. I also found out that I can buy a USB to Parallel cable that I can use with my HP printer. Does anyone have any experience with this. Does this cable work for other devices who use parallel port? Thanks! ...

No serial port on my laptop
Hello, I'm thinking about buying a new laptop without a serial port. Is there an adapter to let me use an ethernet port to configure a router that has not previously been configured so it has no IP address yet? Thanks Hi! Boe wrote: > I'm thinking about buying a new laptop without a serial port. Is there an > adapter to let me use an ethernet port to configure a router that has not > previously been configured so it has no IP address yet? use an USB to serial adapter. Greets, Thomas There are so many USB to RS-232 converters and they are so cheap. You can use i...

laptop no serial port :(
my old ibm laptop has finaly gone back to its maker so i have a temporary compaq repacment. Its nice enough but it does not have a serial port! what gives? god know whay they still have parallel ports. So my dilema is what to replace it with do i pick out the best laptop and get a usb to serial thingy or are there still leading edge machines with serial ports i like the idea of integrated wirles and bluetooth. I have heard that the usb serial devices cannot send a break so i may be in trouble if i need to recover a password. Is there any truth in this? all reccomendations and advice greatly...

new laptop with parallel port for a parallel dot matrix printer?
Hi, I have to help a friend of mine to move from an old desktop (with win95 and a legacy program that have to print multiple-copy chemical forms with condensed ascii cha on an old dot-matrix 136-columns Brothers printer) to a new laptop (he doesn't want to buy an used one). The legacy program works in any environment from DOS to winXP - the only issue is that it pretend to access the printer on LPT1. Implementing the trick of the usb-to-centronic adapter and automapping the shared printer as LPT1 worked for simple instraction like dir > LPT1 but result in error when I tried to access it with the legacy program (I tested it on my own laptop). I found out that HP still sells NC6320 with the parallel port. The pre-sale assistant that I called from one side confirmed me that the system is certified even with freedos, but on the other side could not guarantee me that the printer will be accessible as LPT1 (even though I think there will be no issue in that) my questions are: 1) that system is quite expensive... and for more than 1100 euros is shipped only with a shared-memory intel graphic 950 chipset is there any cheap alternative 2) the obsolete legacy program can also print to file. Could be more easy to write my own "printer driver" that could detect print-to-file document and send them to the printer after instructing it to use condensed ascii chars? 3) Can a docking station for a parallelport-less laptop provide LPT1 facility to the old program?...

Any sub $1000 Dothan-Based laptops with 14" sceens, serial/parallel/Ir ports, other than the Dell Latitude D510 and D610?
Any sub $1000 Dothan-Based laptops with serial/parallel/Ir ports, other than the Dell Latitude D510 and D610? I need a notebook for some Linux based work, where a serial and parallel port are necessary for some development tools, and where a USB serial or parallel port will not work (a Cardbus/PCMCIA card might work, but I'd prefer to have it built in). CPU speed isn't that important, even the M715 would be okay, nor is high end graphics important. SMS wrote: > Any sub $1000 Dothan-Based laptops with serial/parallel/Ir ports, other > than the Dell Latitude D510 and D610? The first google hit from May 2004 shows Dell Inspiron 8600c, Acer TravelMate 8006LMi, IBM ThinkPad T42 but I didmnt look up ports or prices. Ian Singer -- ========================================================================= See my homepage at http://www.iansinger.com All genealogy is stored in TMG from http://www.whollygenes.com Charts and searching using TNG from http://www.tngsitebuilding.com Join the iansinger_relatives@iansinger.com mailing list with msg to Iansinger_relatives-request@iansinger.com & in body subscribe <password> I am near Toronto Canada, can I tell where you are from your reply? ========================================================================= Ian Singer wrote: > > > SMS wrote: >> Any sub $1000 Dothan-Based laptops with serial/parallel/Ir ports, >> other than the Dell Latitude D...

centrino laptop with serial port ?
For a project I need a laptop which needs to have a serial port, but also as long a battery life as possible. Other specs really aren't important, although integrated 802.11b would be nice. Any recommendations ? Basically, we want to use a laptop to collect data through a device which has a serial interface and we want to minimize cabling issues. That means carrying the laptop to wherever we need it and only connect the serial line for the actual datataking. Between datataking we will charge the battery but since I don't know who long each of these cycles will be, I want to get somet...

Revo / PsiWin with laptop and no Serial port???
My boss needs a new laptop, but all the ones he's looking at are sans-serial. So, the question is (are) : 1) Would a USB-Serial adaptor work OK? 2) Is there any way of getting the Psion to talk to the PC via IRd ? Any help would be appreciated... Adrian >My boss needs a new laptop, but all the ones he's looking at are >sans-serial. So, the question is (are) : > >1) Would a USB-Serial adaptor work OK? >2) Is there any way of getting the Psion to talk to the PC via IRd ? > A USB to serial adapter will work fine. IR between laptop ...

FT Need A Laptop with serial port
I nee a laptop that is PIII or P4 that has a serial port,running Windows XP or 2000 for my ham radio programs.Only problem is I will be trading a mint condition Kenwood TM-V7 dual band ham radio for the laptop.Let me know what you got.I would prefer a local area swap that way we won't have to see who is going to ship first.Tahnks for looking. Do you have to have a serial port on the laptop? Many newer laptops/notebooks no longer supply a serial port. One solution you may consider if you get stuck is a USB to serial converter. There are so many of them out there. A few of them are j...

Parallel-port for laptop
Dear fellows, I want to add a fully compatible parallel port to my new laptop and have bought the Targus PA090 port replicator, but it does not emulate an LPT port - it adds USB printing support only. Would any of you know of third party drivers emaulating an LPT-port on a USB adapter or a cheap PC Card with LPT (and maybe COM) ports on it? Thanks and enjoy the weekend -- Kasper ...

Laptop w/2 serial ports
Hello, I'm looking for a laptop with 2 serial ports or any good alternative that would work under pure DOS. I really need to access both com ports under DOS.. Anyone have any suggestions? Laptop brand with 2 serial ports or any laptop + PCMCIA card working well under dos. Does a port replicator actually give you a SECOND serial port? I don't know much about these things. Thanks guys! xan wrote: > Hello, > > I'm looking for a laptop with 2 serial ports or any good alternative that > would work under pure DOS. I really need to access both com ports under > DOS.. > > Anyone have any suggestions? Laptop brand with 2 serial ports or any laptop > + PCMCIA card working well under dos. > > Does a port replicator actually give you a SECOND serial port? I don't know > much about these things. > > Thanks guys! > > Many older laptops have a second serial port for the modem. Modem may or may not be installed. If it's a plug-in modem, you probably can get access to the usart pins. mike -- Return address is VALID. 500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 $2200 http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/te.html Wanted, 12.1" LCD for Gateway Solo 5300. Samsung LT121SU-121 Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below. http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/ "xan" <mr_xanax@hoootmail.com> wrote in message news:Xns959E3058D2C5Cxxx2k3@63.218.45.44... > > Hello, > > I&#...

Finding all ports available in computer including both serial and parallel port in C#
Hi.. How to search for all avaliable system ports, Including Usb, serialport and parallel port... please help me to solve this , its very Urgent.... thanks in advance. ...

Rf trasmitter and laptop serial port interface ?
Hello sir, I want to send data from (laptop) serial port to rf transmitter (433 Mhz) .but i don't know how can i do this. can you help me which interfacing i require to connect laptop serial port with rf transmitter. and rf receiver can interface with micro controller(8051) how can i interface it ? plz help me sir. ...

Revo + PsiWin and laptop with no serial port....help!
My boss needs a new laptop, but all the ones he's looking at are sans-serial. So, the question is (are) : 1) Would a USB-Serial adaptor work OK? 2) Is there any way of getting the Psion to talk to the PC via IRd ? Any help would be appreciated... Adrian Hi Adrian, On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 16:07:21 -0000, Adrian <adrian_dont_send_me_spam_bradshaw@yahoo.com> wrote: > My boss needs a new laptop, but all the ones he's looking at are > sans-serial. So, the question is (are) : > > 1) Would a USB-Serial adaptor work OK? > 2) Is there ...

Mandrake 10.1 and laptop serial port
I've recently downloaded and installed Mandrake 10.1 Official. So far, so good. (Actually, I like it tons better than RedHat!) However, I'm having some slight problems. The one I'm concerned with for now is regarding serial ports. Now, I know my laptop (Gateway SOLO) has a built-in serial port. However, it seems that the kernal doesn't see it. I don't know what's up. I've read (and re-read, and re-re-read) the "Linux HOW TO" on serial ports. I hasn't helped much. Here are my OS stats: Mandrake 10.1 Official (downloaded) Kernel 2.6.8.1-12 Gateway S...

Parellel and serial ports on laptops.... do you still need them???
Hello, I'm just wondering if one needs serial and parallel ports on laptops?? Lots of laptops come without these ports. Should I try to get a laptop who have these ports? Only thing I use my parallel port is, scanner and printer. I guess new devices have USB option. I also found out that I can buy a USB to Parallel cable that I can use with my HP printer. Does anyone have any experience with this. Does this cable work for other devices who use parallel port? Thanks! On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:07:50 -0500, "john smith" <mta_img@yahoo.com> wrote: >Hello, > >I'm just wondering if one needs serial and parallel ports on laptops?? Lots >of laptops come without these ports. Should I try to get a laptop who have >these ports? > >Only thing I use my parallel port is, scanner and printer. I guess new >devices have USB option. > >I also found out that I can buy a USB to Parallel cable that I can use with >my HP printer. Does anyone have any experience with this. Does this cable >work for other devices who use parallel port? > > >Thanks! > > It depends on what you need to connect. I use a Garmin V GPS unit, and it requires a serial port. USB to Serial adapters "sometimes" work. Charlie Hoffpauir http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/ Yes, some people need them. And floppy drives too On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:07:50 -0500, "john smith" <mta_img@yahoo.com> wrote: ...

Serial Ports Not Recognized by Laptop on Docking Station
I have an IBM R52 laptop connected to a docking station. The problem I have is that the laptop itself has no RS-232 serial ports but the docking station does. But, I cannot use the docking station serial port. Can someone point me in the right direction of how to configure the laptop to recognize the docking station's serial port? I have Red Hat Enterprise 4.0 installed (2.6 kernel). Thanks in advance. bernpuc wrote: > I have an IBM R52 laptop connected to a docking station. The problem I > have is that the laptop itself has no RS-232 serial ports but the > docking station...

serial port on v490 and Serial port on StorEdge 3510
Just wonder how to connect V490's serial port to StorEdge 3510's serial port? as the serial port on v490 is a RJ45 connection. and the serial port on 3510 is DB9. How to connect this two together? What adapter and cable should be used? Thanks! ericson paula wrote: > Just wonder how to connect V490's serial port to StorEdge 3510's > serial port? > as the serial port on v490 is a RJ45 connection. and the serial port > on 3510 is DB9. How to connect this two together? What adapter and > cable should be used? > > Thanks! a standard rj-45 cable and the a...

How to Configure new cisco device with no serial port Laptop
Hi all, This is my first post here. Do you have any expriences how to connect to a cisco device ( switch/ router ) from a laptop without serial port ? As you know, lot of modern laptop only have LPT, USB, Ethernet but ... no serial interface. I have tried some converter for USB-to-Serial convert but it isn't work, and Hyper Terminal also didn't recognize to work with LPT/USB interface too. I also thinking about use Aux and dialin to do configuration, this method is doable with router but with Switch, we can't do this. So I am looking for a solution to solve this case, please sha...

Laptop USB to parallel port printer conversion question.
Laptops today do not come with parallel ports but I was wondering how troublesome it would be to use some kind of converter. The printer is an HP Rx 80 multifunction printer. The parallel port printer cable is missing but I'm willing to spring for one if conversion to USB is not to pricey or complicated. What do you recommend? On 2010-11-05 23:09, ghelf wrote: > Laptops today do not come with parallel ports but I was wondering how > troublesome it would be to use some kind of converter. > The printer is an HP Rx 80 multifunction printer. The parallel port > printer cable is missing but I'm willing to spring for one if > conversion to USB is not to pricey or complicated. > What do you recommend? I don't know the brand, but I have a USB to Centronics cable working beautifully with my HP LJ-6. Got it MicroCenter. Carl In news:ib2ht3$s00$1@news.eternal-september.org, Carl Kaufmann typed on Fri, 05 Nov 2010 23:25:40 -0400: > On 2010-11-05 23:09, ghelf wrote: >> Laptops today do not come with parallel ports but I was wondering how >> troublesome it would be to use some kind of converter. >> The printer is an HP Rx 80 multifunction printer. The parallel port >> printer cable is missing but I'm willing to spring for one if >> conversion to USB is not to pricey or complicated. >> What do you recommend? > > I don't know the brand, but I have a USB to Centronics cable working > beautifully w...

Rf trasmitter and laptop serial port interface ? #2
Hello sir, I want to send data from (laptop) serial port to rf transmitter (433 Mhz) .but i don't know how can i do this. can you help me which interfacing i require to connect laptop serial port with rf transmitter. and rf receiver can interface with micro controller(8051) how can i interface it ? plz help me sir. ...

MSP430F449 interface with laptop's serial port?
I am using MSP-449STK-2 as my studying kit. There was serial ports on the board and my laptop. May I just connect them together with a serial cable and write programs to send data to the MSP430F449 via the UART? Will it possibly burn the device or my motherboard? Thank you. ...

Send traffic from one serial port out to another serial port
Hi, We've got a system where we need to occasionally in effect link two serial ports together on our system which is running linux. Scenario (/dev/ttyS1) <radio> --- rs232 -- [linux system] --- rs232 -- <terminal> (/dev/ttyS0) Normally the terminal talks to the linux system which sends traffic if needed to the radio. However for certain situations we need to make sure any traffic on /dev/ttyS0 is sent straight out on /dev/ttyS1 and vice-versa with no alterations etc. On a stock distribution (debian) I can't see an easy way to accomplish this short of using socat. ...

Connecting a USB printer to a laptop's serial port
Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a laptop via the serial port using a serial/usb adapter? Most adapters I've seen are serial /usb not usb/ serial. I don't think you can go the other way. Terry "Tom" <thall91739@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1df688cb.0310171132.544eecf9@posting.google.com... > Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a laptop via the serial > port using a serial/usb adapter? As far as I know there is no adapter to convert a serial port to USB. -- ---------------------------------------------------------------- "Tom"...

Connecting a USB printer to an old laptop via the serial port
Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a computer's serial port using a USB/serial adapter? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1 66835&Sku=B133-1012&SRCCODE=SHOPPINGDF "Tom" <thall91739@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1df688cb.0310171128.14cdc780@posting.google.com... > Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a computer's serial port > using a USB/serial adapter? Whereas On 17 Oct 2003 12:28:41 -0700, thall91739@yahoo.com (Tom) scribbled: , I thus relpy: >Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a computer's serial port >using a USB/serial adapter? No. USB is too complex to replicate from the legacy ports. You might be able to get a USB PC-card adaptor, if you have Win98. -- Gary J. Tait . Email is at yahoo.com ; ID:classicsat Whereas On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 20:36:59 +0100, "Clanger" <D231@mygoatfseltd.freeserve.co.uk> scribbled: , I thus relpy: >http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1 >66835&Sku=B133-1012&SRCCODE=SHOPPINGDF > > The OP wants the other way round, which is impossible. > >"Tom" <thall91739@yahoo.com> wrote in message >news:1df688cb.0310171128.14cdc780@posting.google.com... >> Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a computer's serial port >> using a USB/serial adapter? > -- Gary J. Tait . Em...

Web resources about - serial port, parallel port required for newer laptops with UNIX - comp.sys.laptops

Parallel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kindle for iOS gets social sharing features, parallel downloads
... it is nevertheless nice to see Amazon take advantage of Apple’s mobile platform through integrating sharing in this way. Kindle for iOS. Parallel ...

Panasonic Introduced Its Tomato-picking Robot and Parallel Link Robot at International Robot Exhibition ...
Panasonic proposed numerous robotics solutions such as the tomato-picking robot and the parallel link robot at one of the world's largest robot ...

Charting the Parallels Between Rey and Luke Skywalker in Star Wars: The Force Awakens
[SPOILER WARNING: This article discusses plot elements from Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Do not [...]

Trust and Democracy: The Odd Parallels between Trump and Apple
... Apple in its fight against the FBI and Justice Department wouldn’t be caught dead voting for Trump. And yet Apple’s position has some odd parallels ...

‘Homeland’ Evoked Amidst School Threats In Latest Real-Life Parallel For Season 5
When New York Commissioner Bill Bratton spoke today about the email bomb threats sent to schools in the country’s two biggest cities that shut ...

Parallels Updates Remote Application Server for PCs, Macs
Parallels Remote Application Server v15 brings Windows applications and desktops to employees on any device, anywhere in the world.

No This Isn't The Dot-Com Bust All Over Again, But The Parallels Are Uncomfortable
... sign of trouble in the tech markets, both public and private. While 2016 isn't yet a carbon copy of 2000, there are some disturbing parallels ...

Parallels brings server-based desktop apps to iPhone and Android in first big update since company split ...
No one wants to work on their phone, but sometimes you just have to get something done while on the go. And the latest version of Parallels Remote ...