Swapping external IBM Travelstar hard drive

Hi. This post isn't exactly about a laptop, but it is about a laptop
peripheral, and maybe a laptop hard drive. I have a nice IBM Travelstar
external 8GB PCMCIA hard drive. It works very well as a self-powered backup
drive for my laptop. It's built well, with lots of shock protection inside
the case. Unfortunately, it's ONLY 8GB.

So I took my old Hitachi (now Travelstar, right?) 20GB notebook drive and
replaced the IBM Travelstar inside the external case. Other than the fact
that the 20GB drive was half the thickness of the original IBM drive, it fit
fine, with the drive connector fitting both drives OK. I put it all back
together, inserted the PC card dongle into my laptop, the beeps happened,
showing my laptop recognized that a PC card was inserted, but the new drive
never mounted.

I listened carefully, and it sounded like the replacement Hitachi drive
never really spun up normally. It sounded like it was trying, but never got
there. I notice the power rating on both drives say 5v, FWIW. It seems like
the PC card circuitry in this IBM cable/case isn't drawing enough power(?)
for the larger Hitachi drive. Is this a likely cause of the drive's
inability to work?

Any other ideas on if/how I can replace my IBM Travelstar 8GB drive with my
Hitachi 20GB drive? Again, it's a PC card cable connection, to a
shock-mounted, padded external case. No other power (other than the PC card)
supply is used. Thanks in advance.

Fr@nk

0
Fr1125 (18)

My guess is that your external case (sounds like an old one) does not
support ATA-5.    My limited experience (with one Travelstar drive) is that
the drive is not downward compatible to the older standards.

"Fr@nk" <Fr@nkATwizardDOT.net> wrote in message
> Hi. This post isn't exactly about a laptop, but it is about a laptop
> peripheral, and maybe a laptop hard drive. I have a nice IBM Travelstar
> external 8GB PCMCIA hard drive. It works very well as a self-powered
> backup
> drive for my laptop. It's built well, with lots of shock protection inside
> the case. Unfortunately, it's ONLY 8GB.
>
> So I took my old Hitachi (now Travelstar, right?) 20GB notebook drive and
> replaced the IBM Travelstar inside the external case. Other than the fact
> that the 20GB drive was half the thickness of the original IBM drive, it
> fit
> fine, with the drive connector fitting both drives OK. I put it all back
> together, inserted the PC card dongle into my laptop, the beeps happened,
> showing my laptop recognized that a PC card was inserted, but the new
> drive
> never mounted.
>
> I listened carefully, and it sounded like the replacement Hitachi drive
> never really spun up normally. It sounded like it was trying, but never
> got
> there. I notice the power rating on both drives say 5v, FWIW. It seems
> like
> the PC card circuitry in this IBM cable/case isn't drawing enough power(?)
> for the larger Hitachi drive. Is this a likely cause of the drive's
> inability to work?
>
> Any other ideas on if/how I can replace my IBM Travelstar 8GB drive with
> my
> Hitachi 20GB drive? Again, it's a PC card cable connection, to a
> shock-mounted, padded external case. No other power (other than the PC
> card)
> supply is used. Thanks in advance.
>

> Fr@nk

0
wcjoy (24)
6/20/2005 4:49:02 AM
Ultra-DMA drives like the ones supporting ATA-5 require the new 80-wire
ribbon cable.

"Bill Joy" <wcjoy@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> My guess is that your external case (sounds like an old one) does not
> support ATA-5.    My limited experience (with one Travelstar drive) is
> that the drive is not downward compatible to the older standards.
>

> "Fr@nk" <Fr@nkATwizardDOT.net> wrote in message
>> Hi. This post isn't exactly about a laptop, but it is about a laptop
>> peripheral, and maybe a laptop hard drive. I have a nice IBM Travelstar
>> external 8GB PCMCIA hard drive. It works very well as a self-powered
>> backup
>> drive for my laptop. It's built well, with lots of shock protection
>> inside
>> the case. Unfortunately, it's ONLY 8GB.
>>
>> So I took my old Hitachi (now Travelstar, right?) 20GB notebook drive and
>> replaced the IBM Travelstar inside the external case. Other than the fact
>> that the 20GB drive was half the thickness of the original IBM drive, it
>> fit
>> fine, with the drive connector fitting both drives OK. I put it all back
>> together, inserted the PC card dongle into my laptop, the beeps happened,
>> showing my laptop recognized that a PC card was inserted, but the new
>> drive
>> never mounted.
>>
>> I listened carefully, and it sounded like the replacement Hitachi drive
>> never really spun up normally. It sounded like it was trying, but never
>> got
>> there. I notice the power rating on both drives say 5v, FWIW. It seems
>> like
>> the PC card circuitry in this IBM cable/case isn't drawing enough
>> power(?)
>> for the larger Hitachi drive. Is this a likely cause of the drive's
>> inability to work?
>>
>> Any other ideas on if/how I can replace my IBM Travelstar 8GB drive with
>> my
>> Hitachi 20GB drive? Again, it's a PC card cable connection, to a
>> shock-mounted, padded external case. No other power (other than the PC
>> card)
>> supply is used. Thanks in advance.
>>

>> Fr@nk

0
wcjoy (24)
6/20/2005 4:58:56 AM
Fr@nk wrote:
> Hi. This post isn't exactly about a laptop, but it is about a laptop
> peripheral, and maybe a laptop hard drive. I have a nice IBM
> Travelstar external 8GB PCMCIA hard drive. It works very well as a
> self-powered backup drive for my laptop. It's built well, with lots
> of shock protection inside the case. Unfortunately, it's ONLY 8GB.
>
> So I took my old Hitachi (now Travelstar, right?) 20GB notebook drive
> and replaced the IBM Travelstar inside the external case. Other than
> the fact that the 20GB drive was half the thickness of the original
> IBM drive, it fit fine, with the drive connector fitting both drives
> OK. I put it all back together, inserted the PC card dongle into my
> laptop, the beeps happened, showing my laptop recognized that a PC
> card was inserted, but the new drive never mounted.
>
> I listened carefully, and it sounded like the replacement Hitachi
> drive never really spun up normally. It sounded like it was trying,
> but never got there. I notice the power rating on both drives say 5v,
> FWIW. It seems like the PC card circuitry in this IBM cable/case
> isn't drawing enough power(?) for the larger Hitachi drive. Is this a
> likely cause of the drive's inability to work?
>
> Any other ideas on if/how I can replace my IBM Travelstar 8GB drive
> with my Hitachi 20GB drive? Again, it's a PC card cable connection,
> to a shock-mounted, padded external case. No other power (other than
> the PC card) supply is used. Thanks in advance.
>

> Fr@nk

It is most likely power if you are certain the larger drive functions.
This is a very common problem with external drives where startup power
(instantaneous volts x amps available) is inadequate.  While it is nice
from an aesthetic viewpoint to have an external device without its own
power supply, it is generally more productive to have external power
available.

quaoar (1575)
6/20/2005 1:49:32 PM
First, 5v is not the "power rating".  It's the voltage.  Power = voltage
* current.  It's likely that the power requirement of the new drive is
fine, it may even be less than that of the old drive, but your use of
the terms is improper and could lead you astray.

[If the drive draws 500ma at 5 volts, the power required is 2.5 watts.
500ma = 0.5 amps.]

It's also not a given that you can change the drive.  The PC card,
and/or the drivers for it, MIGHT "know" that it's an 8 gigabyte card and
might not support drives of another size.  Or, in a very extreme case,
they might be hard coded to check the model number and/or serial number
of the drive (those can be read, if desired).

Fr@nk wrote:
> Hi. This post isn't exactly about a laptop, but it is about a laptop
> peripheral, and maybe a laptop hard drive. I have a nice IBM Travelstar
> external 8GB PCMCIA hard drive. It works very well as a self-powered backup
> drive for my laptop. It's built well, with lots of shock protection inside
> the case. Unfortunately, it's ONLY 8GB.
>
> So I took my old Hitachi (now Travelstar, right?) 20GB notebook drive and
> replaced the IBM Travelstar inside the external case. Other than the fact
> that the 20GB drive was half the thickness of the original IBM drive, it fit
> fine, with the drive connector fitting both drives OK. I put it all back
> together, inserted the PC card dongle into my laptop, the beeps happened,
> showing my laptop recognized that a PC card was inserted, but the new drive
> never mounted.
>
> I listened carefully, and it sounded like the replacement Hitachi drive
> never really spun up normally. It sounded like it was trying, but never got
> there. I notice the power rating on both drives say 5v, FWIW. It seems like
> the PC card circuitry in this IBM cable/case isn't drawing enough power(?)
> for the larger Hitachi drive. Is this a likely cause of the drive's
> inability to work?
>
> Any other ideas on if/how I can replace my IBM Travelstar 8GB drive with my
> Hitachi 20GB drive? Again, it's a PC card cable connection, to a
> shock-mounted, padded external case. No other power (other than the PC card)
> supply is used. Thanks in advance.
>

> Fr@nk

0
WatzmanNOSPAM (5711)
> First, 5v is not the "power rating".  It's the voltage.  Power = voltage
> * current.  It's likely that the power requirement of the new drive is
> fine, it may even be less than that of the old drive, but your use of
> the terms is improper and could lead you astray.
>
> [If the drive draws 500ma at 5 volts, the power required is 2.5 watts.
> 500ma = 0.5 amps.]
>
> It's also not a given that you can change the drive.  The PC card,
> and/or the drivers for it, MIGHT "know" that it's an 8 gigabyte card and
> might not support drives of another size.  Or, in a very extreme case,
> they might be hard coded to check the model number and/or serial number
> of the drive (those can be read, if desired).

Yeah, I know my terminology isn't correct. My guess is (esp. after the
replies here) there are multiple reasons why this drive swap isn't working:

- Possible power issue (still need to take another look at the original
drive to see how many amps it requires. I think the newer drive says 0.5
amps)??

- Possibly the enclosure's electronics _are_ (as you suggest) checking the
actual drive model/SN, and it's not matching??

- Possibly the computer, while running the correct Hard Disk controller for
the PC card slot when inserted, still isn't the right one for the new
drive??

I'll probably throw in the towel soon. Thanks for the replies.

Fr@nk

0
Fr1125 (18)
6/20/2005 5:28:09 PM
Thought about replacing it with a new USB2 2.5" enclosure instead? I
recently swapped out my factory 40Gb drive for a 100Gb one, and put the
40Gb drive into a USB2 enclosure. The box cost $AUD11 ($USD8)

I'm not sure your laptop would support USB2, but you can buy PCMCIA
adapter cards. Check that they can supply enough current to power a
HD...

External Hard Drive (USB IBM Travelstar)
I have Macosx 10.3 PowerPcG3 machine. I need to connect external DISK TO it. I have IBM Travelstar USB. But my machine is not recongnizing the external device. What driver shoulD I use for this.? Where i WILL GET THOSE DRIVERS. -Hemant ...

can I use desktop hard drive as external laptop drive?
Hi. My mom gave me her old compaq presario 1200 because my desktop motherboard burnt out and I couldn't afford to fix it. The hard drive in my laptop is very small, and all of my old files are still on the hard drive from my desktop, which still is in good condition. Is there a way to connect the old hard drive (it's an internal drive)to my laptop? thanks, Kristie yes, get an external drive box for about $40, they make in USB or FWire connection, or both. I did it, works great. -- Dennis Savatski "Kristie" <kjd183@psu.edu> wrote in message news:8c9b4541.0401221503...

external hard drive with laptop
OK, guys---we've got a couple of rocket scientists (not) hard at work, and we've run up against a stump. Let me give the background of the problem, and tell what we're up to. Got a friend who has a laptop. His hard drive crashed awhile back. He took the laptop to a pc shop and got a new hard drive installed. He was checking out options of recovering his files off the old hard drive. I told him same thing had happened to me, and the way I did it was to take out my bad hard drive, get all the numbers off it, find a new identical one, then take the controller boards off a...

Syncing folders
Hi. I have an external Hard Drive - I keep MP3 etc. on it I want a folder on my MacBook Pro hard disk that syncs to it Is this possible ben.necho@yahoo.com wrote: > Hi. > > I have an external Hard Drive - I keep MP3 etc. on it > > I want a folder on my MacBook Pro hard disk that syncs to it > > Is this possible === I use "arRsync" from .......... http://arrsync.sourceforge.net/ ... free and opensource === mikehes@gmail.com wrote: > ben.necho@yahoo.com wrote: > > Hi. > > > > I have an external Hard Drive - I keep MP3 etc. on it...

Need external laptop drive case --- for SATA laptop drive
Anyone know where you can get an external USB laptop case (or just a cable type adapter), but for a 2.5" laptop drive that is Serial ATA (SATA) rather than the more mundaten IDE? My new Toshiba laptop has such a drive in it. ...

Premade external hard drive or internal hard drive with enclosure?
Hi, My WD mybook external hardrive died, and now i need a new one for my laptop (which has th elaptop firewire conneciton, which isn't the same as the pc firewire connection that most external harddrives come with, thus need to use usb) So I'm thinking of getting the following toshiba 320 gb external ( see link below). However I have also been considering getting a regular internal harddrive and enclosure. would this be better in terms of reliability and speed? How difficult is this to set up? If this is better any recommendations for a 300-500 gb drive and enclosure? T...

how do i swap hard drive on ibm x31
hi....i have an x31 with a cdrw.....it has a 40 gb hd....i have a spare 80 gh hd i would like to put on.......x31 dosnt restore disks as xp op is on the hard drive.....i dont have any info i need to save but how do i get the xp os onto the new hd so it will boot up.....thanks....im a newbe so maybe its easy....i dont know On Jun 24, 7:26 am, gram <gramp...@hotmail.com> wrote: > hi....i have an x31 with a cdrw.....it has a 40 gb hd....i have a > spare 80 gh hd i would like to put on.......x31 dosnt restore disks > as > xp op is on the hard drive.....i dont have any info i need to save > but > how do i get the xp os onto the new hd so it will boot > up.....thanks....im a newbe so maybe its easy....i dont know SORRY I MEANT TO SAY :IT DOSNT COME WITH SYSTEM RESORE DISC: On Jun 24, 7:29 am, gram <gramp...@hotmail.com> wrote: > On Jun 24, 7:26 am, gram <gramp...@hotmail.com> wrote: > > > hi....i have an x31 with a cdrw.....it has a 40 gb hd....i have a > > spare 80 gh hd i would like to put on.......x31 dosnt restore disks > > as > > xp op is on the hard drive.....i dont have any info i need to save > > but > > how do i get the xp os onto the new hd so it will boot > > up.....thanks....im a newbe so maybe its easy....i dont know > > SORRY I MEANT TO SAY :IT DOSNT COME WITH SYSTEM RESORE DISC: SORRY I MEANT TO SAY RESTORE DISC On Jun 24, 7:30 am, gram <gramp...@hotmail.com>...

External hard drive for two laptops
Hi everyone, I looking for some help in picking out an external hard drive that will suit my needs. I've read the literature online and need guidance from some one who is or has been in a similar situation. I have two laptops -- one that is personal Dell machine and the second is a work issued think pad. I want to be able to store files on an external hard drive (~300GB) such that the data stored on the drive can be accessed by both laptops. I plan to store music, video, pictures, etc. I'm thinking of the following configuration: 300 GB+ memory, 7200 RPM, 16 MB data buffer, with a USB interface. I can't figure out whether I will need a HD that has at least 2 USB ports? Do I? Will a hard drive that has only one USB port allow me to transfer data between my two laptops? My confusion is a bit compounded by the fact that apparently some HDs use two USB ports -- one for power and one for data. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. Also, if you can recommend something that fits this spec I'd be very grateful. Thanks classinus "classinus" <firstsaurabh@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1153795505.022725.286330@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com... > Hi everyone, > > I looking for some help in picking out an external hard drive that will > suit my needs. I've read the literature online and need guidance from > some one who is or has been in a similar situation. > > I have two laptops -- one that is personal Dell m...

FT: 6.4gb desktop hard drives....I need laptop hard drives
I have at least 50 6.4gb hard drives(these go in your desktop or tower, most are western digital and some are maxtor). I'd like to trade some or all of these for 4gb or 5gb laptop hard drives, the laptop drives must fit into an ibm thinkpad 600. to email me go here: http://www.geocities.com/pauldbz/ ...

One external hard drive for two laptops?
I know there are some external hard drives with two interfaces (USB and/or Firewire) but are there any that allows both to be used in simultaneous parallel operation? The simple answer is no. You would need to set up a simple LAN network between the 2 computers, and then connect the hard drive to one. The hard drive could then be configured as a "shared drive" by right clicking on it in my computer. Then both computers could share the same drive. A crossover cable, or a switch and 2 ethernet cables should set up the network for you. It should be inexpensive. jdemuro@hotmail.co...

Can I swap hard drives to a similar laptop?
I had a Fujitsu Lifebook 6210 (1.3M processor). It fried on me yesterday. I would like to buy a similar model used lifebook on ebay and just swap in my 100GB hard drive from my old Lifebook. My goal is to get back up and running without re-installing windows and my applications. Would something like this work? Or does Windows or other applications often tie installation to specific hardware serial#s. Thanks In an earlier contribution to this discussion, techman41973@yahoo.com <techman41973@yahoo.com> wrote: > I had a Fujitsu Lifebook 6210 (1.3M processor). It fried on me > yesterday. > I would like to buy a similar model used lifebook on ebay and just > swap in my 100GB hard drive from my old Lifebook. My goal is to get > back up and running without re-installing windows and my > applications. Would something like this work? Or does Windows or > other applications often tie installation to specific hardware > serial#s. > Thanks Depends what version of Windows you're using. If it's XP, it's likely to object to the different hardware. The same would apply if you were to re-install on the new hardware - 'cos you'll have to go online to MS to activate it, and MS's system will recognise that this copy of XP has already been activated on different hardware. You'll have to contact MS and explain that you are transferring it because the old hardware died. They should then sort it out for you. -- Cheers, Roger __...

external hard drive "travelstar"
I am having trouble with an extern USB2 drive from a Chinese company named TravelStar. My MacBook recognizes it, and I can even copy files onto and off of it, but I am unable to delete contents. When I try to delete items the process is ridiculously slow. Afterwards, "ghosts" of the old folders and files remain. When I click on them, the names revert to "untitled", and they don't appear to have any contents... but the memory of the HD remains occupied. This is a nuissance! I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks, Matt -- Matthew Hiebert www.arounds...

Swapping hard drive on Sony Viao laptop
Hi, Does anyone know how easy or difficult it is to swap out the hard drive on a Sony PCG-4b1m Vaio laptop? We have the hard drive (supposedly the same as an IPod), and would rather do it ourselves if we can. The laptop is the small one, almost a sub-notebook. Thanks, Nick. ...

Which hard drive (IBM, Toshiba, Fujitsu) for laptop ???
Please help me to choose the best solution. I need best quality and silent hard drive for my laptop Dell CPx. If you had some problems with this hard drives, write please Kris In article <bi53kc$8ju$1@atlantis.news.tpi.pl>, Krzysiek <krzysiekj@op.pl> wrote: >Please help me to choose the best solution. I need best quality and silent >hard drive for my laptop Dell CPx. If you had some problems with this hard >drives, write please One nice indicator of quality is the length of the warranty you get with it. -- Mark ...

Plastic insulator for laptop hard drive (preventing short circuits on hard drive caddy)
Hi, I need to replace a hard drive in a laptop. The hard drive is mounted in a metal caddy. There's a brown plastic insulator glued to the metal caddy to prevent the circuit board of the original hard drive touching the metal and cause a short circuit. The plastic is custom-cut for the original hard drive (the circuit board doesn't cover the entire hard drive top surface). The new hard drive has a circuit board covering the whole hard drive top surface. So there's an area where the circuit board touches the metal of the caddy. The question is : Where can we buy some pl...

Plastic insulator for laptop hard drive (preventing short circuits on hard drive caddy) #2
Hi, I need to replace a hard drive in a laptop. The hard drive is mounted in a metal caddy. There's a brown plastic insulator glued to the metal caddy to prevent the circuit board of the original hard drive touching the metal and cause a short circuit. The plastic is custom-cut for the original hard drive (the circuit board doesn't cover the entire hard drive top surface). The new hard drive has a circuit board covering the whole hard drive top surface. So there's an area where the circuit board touches the metal of the caddy. The question is : Where can we buy some pl...

IBM T41 hard drive noise (Hitachi Travelstar 40GNX)
My T41 has a Hitachi Travelstar 40GNX (IC25N040ATCS05) hard drive. Otherwise I'm very happy with the laptop but the hard drive is making too much noise for my taste especially during heavy load. Unfortunately it also makes annoying clicks and other not so loud noises while (almost) idling. The laptop is about 8 monts old. I guess the problem is in the drive and not in the laptop body design. Does anyone else have such experiences with the said drive or T41? Is the noise a feature of 40GNX? Would some other hard drive be quieter inside the T41? Thanks in advance for your help. - Mikko - Hi Mikko, I have an IBM T40 with the exact same hardrive. The harddrive was designed to be a high-speed harddrive (and it _is very fast) : it spins at 5400rpm and has a pretty big buffer. At the time, though, 4200rpm harddrives were almost silent. When I got my T40, I was surprised at how quiet it was - compared to any laptop I'd ever come across before. It is still that quiet, but compared to newer laptops (my sister has just got an R52, and a friend, an iBook, as well as the thin Sony Vaio (can't remember the name)) - it is noisier. It comes from two sources - the processor and the harddrive. With age, hardrives get noisier - but this shouldn't be a problem with yours just yet. The clicks are normal - the harddrive is accessed on what seems like a random basis by windows - this is especially noticeable when you're running low on memory. The loud clic...

low cost replacement hard drive for IBM Thinkpad i1400 laptop
Hi Can anyone recommend a good UK supplier of used or refurbished laptop drives? My friends laptop drive is failing and I'm looking for a compatible replacement. I tried lime search and google but most suppliers dont have the lower capacity drives in stock. As I've been unable to find out the maximum size drive this laptop can use with I'd prefer to stick with the same size. So I'm looking for a supplier that has them available. Hope someone can help. Thanks for any info. BTW... This is the second IBM drive that has failed!! The original one was repla...

Auction: IBM Personal SCSI External Hard Drive Enclosure 85F0072
>http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-Personal-SCSI-External-Hard-Drive-Enclosure-85F0072_W0QQitemZ5165726854QQcategoryZ3757QQcmdZViewItem< BIN, looks to have both the HD sled/plate and the MO sled/plate. Louis Ohland wrote: >>http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-Personal-SCSI-External-Hard-Drive-Enclosure-85F0072_W0QQitemZ5165726854QQcategoryZ3757QQcmdZViewItem< > > > BIN, looks to have both the HD sled/plate and the MO sled/plate. I'm still looking for an HD tray or two if anyone is not using them in a 3510. Kevin ...

need help hooking up IBM hard drive fm HP laptop
Hi, This is a hd from a HP laptop. It has personal data on it that hasn't been backed up. I'm going to try to backup the data and then return the hd to HP. The HD in question is faulty, but it still spins, so I may have a shot at it. A friend swapped the replacement from HP with this one, and asked me to see if I could get his stuff off it, etc. The drive is an IBM travelstar 4200 RPM 40 gig ATA/IDE model: Ic25n040ATCS04-0 July 'o2 I never fooled with laptop stuff before so I'm kinda stuck here. I was hoping I could access it with a normal 40pin ide cable, and then use jumper wires to hook up whatever run voltage it needed. No luck. Can anybody tell me how to proceed from here? Thanks for any ideas. Allen In article <oMidnQloksotHdncRVn-tA@comcast.com>, !Allen Lasting <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote: >Hi, > >This is a hd from a HP laptop. It has personal data on it that hasn't been >backed up. >I'm going to try to backup the data and then return the hd to HP. The HD in >question >is faulty, but it still spins, so I may have a shot at it. A friend swapped >the replacement >from HP with this one, and asked me to see if I could get his stuff off it, >etc. > >The drive is an IBM travelstar 4200 RPM 40 gig ATA/IDE >model: Ic25n040ATCS04-0 July 'o2 > >I never fooled with laptop stuff before so I'm kinda stuck here. I was >hoping I could >access it with a normal 40pin i...

XP laptop won't recognize PCMCIA external hard drive
Hello. I have an IBM Travelstar E 8GB PCMCIA (external) hard drive. It has a standard PC card attached to a short cable, which connects to the external drive enclosure. Works fine on my Win 98SE laptop. However, when I plugged the drive in to my new Win XP Home notebook, it wouldn't recognize it. I think its icon had either the question mark or exclamation point in Device Manager. But it simply doesn't show up as a drive in My Computer like it did in Win 98. Now, it's formatted as a FAT32; that shouldn't matter, right? Is there another driver that I can point XP to? Could this be some sort of 16-bit vs. 32-bit thing with PCMCIA? Thanks for any help. Fr@nk It's not FAT32 vs. NTFS, and it's not cardbus vs. 16-bit PC card (because it works under 98). Sounds like a driver issue. That device (I have had one, so I do know what it is) simply may not work under XP (I am sure that the driver does not explicitly support XP). I'd suggest moving to a USB box (you can move the drive if you like). You can get USB 2 external drive boxes, complete with cables and all, for about $10. Check the drive thickness, many of the USB 2 boxes only support 9.5mm drives, but boxes that will hold 12 and 17mm drives are available, just a bit harder to find. Fr@nk wrote: > Hello. I have an IBM Travelstar E 8GB PCMCIA (external) hard drive. It has a > standard PC card attached to a short cable, which connects to the external > drive enclosure. Works ...

how hard would it be to create a external hard drive enclosure?
Hi - I saw this article: http://slashdot.org/articles/03/09/21/1836207.shtml?tid=137&tid=159&tid=186&tid=198 and it got me thinking - I mean I've seen people who interfaced AVRs, PICs and various other uCs to IDE hard drives - and certainly you can add usb and ethernet connectivity to any of these uCs - so how hard and expensive would it be to create a hard drive enclosure like this? Say - maybe one with ethernet, usb 2.0, and firewire connectivity? Seems like it could be done pretty cheaply - and a whole lot cheaper than the file server from that /. article (that one actually ...

Duplicating internal hard drive to external drive
I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I want to purchase a higher capacity hard drive and have it replace my existing one. I would like to make a bootable copy of my existing one by using my external USB drive enclosure. My plan is to place the new drive in this enclosure and use Powerquest Drive Image 7 to copy my existing drive to the new one, then removing the existing with the new one Will this work? I know Drive Image will let me dup from internal to internal (primary to slave),but it's not clear whether I can use its copy disk option to go to an external drive...

wanted: drive sled for 611 external hard drive
i have a sun 611 external hard drive enclosure lacking the drive sled/tray or whatever you want to call it. anyone have one for sale or trade? -- getting out of bed in the morning is an act of false confidence - jules feifer to email me, delete syzygy. from my return address In article <11eno64cpl52899@corp.supernews.com>, Arthur Wouk <awouk@syzygy.nilenet.com> wrote: >i have a sun 611 external hard drive enclosure lacking the drive sled/tray >or whatever you want to call it. anyone have one for sale or trade? You mean what the FEH calls a SPARCstorage UniPack? According to the same FEH, that is simply called a "mounting bracket", and the Sun part number is 340-3222 for disk and for tape drives. No hits on eBay at the moment. Perhaps you should check with Sun. They're probably not that expensive. Good Luck, DoN. -- Email: <dnichols@d-and-d.com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564 (too) near Washington D.C. | http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html --- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero --- Yes I have these in stock and we are based in the UK Give me a mail if you are interested Ron@ashlyn.co.uk Arthur Wouk wrote: >i have a sun 611 external hard drive enclosure lacking the drive sled/tray >or whatever you want to call it. anyone have one for sale or trade? > > ...

Web resources about - Swapping external IBM Travelstar hard drive - comp.sys.laptops

G-Technology updates G-Drive mini and G-Raid mini with 1TB HGST Travelstar hard drives
... G-Raid mini have been around for a bit, but the storage brand is taking the opportunity at CES to update the duo with Hitachi's (HGST) Travelstar ...

HGST Travelstar 5K1500 Review, Price in India, Specifications - Tech2
With solid state drives seeing prices drop year over year thanks to economies of scale and shrinking size of the NAND memory chips, it may seem ...

Techmeme: Hitachi ships 500GB Travelstar 7K500: 7200RPMs in a 2.5-inch form factor (Darren Murph/Engadget) ...
The web's technology news site of record, Techmeme spotlights the hottest tech stories from all around the web on a single page.

Hitachi Travelstar 7K500 500GB hard drive for laptops
Hitachi introduces the Travelstar 7K500, a 2.5&#8243;, 7200rpm, 500GB hard disk aimed at laptops. Hard disk performance tends to scale with... ...

Hitachi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
[çiꜜtatɕi] ) (stylized as HITACHI ) is a Japanese multinational engineering and electronics conglomerate company headquartered in Chiyoda, Tokyo ...

PC Components:
Technology news and reviews for business and home.

Hitachi ships 160GB SATA notebook drive
... Storage has beaten other hard drive makers in the race to ship a 5400RPM 160GB notebook drive that uses serial ATA. It is dubbed Hitachi Travelstar ...

Autopsy shows 27-inch iMac is positively austere on the inside
... pictured is an OEM version of the Western Digital WD10EALX , a 7200 RPM Blue drive. The 21.5-inch iMac, by contrast, uses a 2.5-inch HGST Travelstar ...

Quick Takes on Mac Performance Products and Issues
real world speed test results for performance minded Macintosh users

Hitachi intros first 7,200rpm, single-platter 7mm hard drive
The new Travelstar Z7K500 hard drive from Hitachi. (Credit: Hitachi) Hitachi GST announced today that it's now shipping the Travelstar Z7K500 ...