ThinkPad floppy drive woes

My ThinkPad 390E has something wrong with the floppy drive subsystem.  When
trying to access a floppy in Windows Explorer an error message pops up and
says the requested operation cannot be completed because of an I/O device
error.  After researching this issue on the Internet I bought a used
replacement Combo Bay with floppy drive and CD drive on eBay.  Installed the
replacement bay.  Exactly the same problem.

Oddly enough the computer will boot up from the floppy disk drive.  Also
after an extremely lengthy delay Windows Explorer will report the used and
free space on a diskette in the drive by clicking on properties in the right
click menu.

Device Manager in Windows XP Pro says all is well, but obviously it is not.
What do you think should be my next move?  There is something inside the
machine called a Combo Bay Interposer Board.  Could it be causing a problem?

Thinkpads with floppy drives.
Hello, Does anyone know the latest manufactured Thinkpads equipped with both floppy drives and cdroms at the same time? I have a 390E, 333 mhz, and like the feature. Anyone know the latest before they stopped? Thanks, Bill Many Thinkpads have external floppy drives available that plug in (either to a "select bay" or with a cable). This gives you the functionality that you are seeking, although it means carrying around an extra item. On some later models, the same effect can be acheived with an external USB floppy drive. Or do you truly require both an internal floppy drive and an internal CD-ROM drive? That's called a "3-spindle machine". Not sure what the last such machine was that IBM made, but Toshiba was making some as late at 2003 (the 1415, a [Pentium 4]Celeron was one of the last such Toshiba machines). Bill wrote: > Hello, > > Does anyone know the latest manufactured Thinkpads equipped with both > floppy drives and cdroms at the same time? I have a 390E, 333 mhz, and > like the feature. Anyone know the latest before they stopped? > > Thanks, > > Bill Thanks Barry for the reply. I have a couple of Toshibas which I am most familiar with, but had this one Thinkpad laptop. I thought it pretty cool that both drives were internal simultaneously. I'm not really forced to have them both inside, but was curious what Thinkpads were last produced like this, as I thought it unique. Bill On Thu, 07 De...

Floppy Drives for Laptops
Hi, All. I have a ThinkPad R51 series, and I also have a Dell Inspiron 3500. The Dell has a floppy drive with it, which can either be used in its Media Bay, or it can be connected to the printer port by a special cable. Either way, it decodes as drive A:. I've often thought of trying to hook the Dell drive up to the ThinkPad, but I've been afraid to try it, afraid that it'll let magic the smoke out of something important. Has anyone here had any experience with doing this? Thanks! -- -- 73 DE Tom Rutherford, N8EUJ, Burton, MI "She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over." On 18.10.11 18:32, Tom Rutherford wrote: > Hi, All. > > I have a ThinkPad R51 series, and I also have a Dell Inspiron 3500. The > Dell has a floppy drive with it, which can either be used in its Media Bay, > or it can be connected to the printer port by a special cable. Either way, > it decodes as drive A:. I've often thought of trying to hook the Dell drive > up to the ThinkPad, but I've been afraid to try it, afraid that it'll let > magic the smoke out of something important. Has anyone here had any > experience with doing this? Thanks! Connecting a floppy drive via parallel port sounds somewhat unusual and I'd be surprised if the media bays of IBM and Dell are compatible - if in doubt but nevertheless in need of a floppy drive I'd recommend looking for a USB solution -...

FS: IBM Thinkpad AC adapter , CD-ROM drive, ext. floppy drive
For sale: IBM Thinkpad AC adapter - $20 IBM Thinkpad internal CD-ROM drive - $30 IBM Thinkpad external floppy drive with cabe - $30. Pictures and FRU numbers available. Please reply by e-mail. ...

Laptop floppy drive replacement
Hi I have a Toshiba T2100 but the floppy drive is broke. Can I put in a standard 'PC type' floppy as a replacement? In fact how do you disassemble the T2100 as I can't figure out how to take it to peices? regards Steve Jarvis No, you can't use a generic replacement. You will need to use a laptop floppy, and probably the exact model used by Toshiba in the T2100 (good luck). But you might find some other laptop floppy drives that will work and fit. Laptop floppy drives are very thin, less than a half-inch thick. steve wrote: > Hi > I have a Toshiba T2100 but the floppy drive is broke. Can I put in a > standard 'PC type' floppy as a replacement? In fact how do you > disassemble the T2100 as I can't figure out how to take it to peices? > > regards Steve Jarvis Back in the 80's most laptop floppies didn't use one of the voltages (12V or 5V). I don't know if this is still true or not today? Bill "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message news:4550F94B.9000600@neo.rr.com > No, you can't use a generic replacement. You will need to use a > laptop floppy, and probably the exact model used by Toshiba in the > T2100 (good luck). But you might find some other laptop floppy > drives that will work and fit. Laptop floppy drives are very thin, > less than a half-inch thick. > > > steve wrote: >> Hi >> I have a Toshiba T2...

Floppy Disc Drive Woes
Hello all, It's been such a long time since I needed my floppy drive that I was surprised it didn't work. Nevermind, I thought, I have a spare one in an old RPC. I tested it and it works in the old machine. So I put the the old floppy drive into my Kinetic Risc PC and it didn't work either. Gives lots of disc errors and is not reliable. In fact, both floppy drives work in the old RPC and neither works in the Kinetic Risc PC! Both computers use RO 4, the Kinetic RO4.03. I even swapped the ribbon cable from the working computer. All advice gratefully accepted. All the best...

Ext. floppy drive for laptop
I have a Dell floppy drive module for Dell Laptop, the parallel port type. I want to use the drive on another laptop (Asus) which also has a parallel port. How do i set it up? TIA ...

Need external laptop drive case --- for SATA laptop drive
Anyone know where you can get an external USB laptop case (or just a cable type adapter), but for a 2.5" laptop drive that is Serial ATA (SATA) rather than the more mundaten IDE? My new Toshiba laptop has such a drive in it. ...

laptop with malf floppy drive
I have a 5 yr old Compaq laptop with a malfunctioning floppy drive. The drive doesn't work, but it spins constatly, even when empty. This is quite a drain on the battery and on CPU cyles, it seems, as it slows down the machine. The machine is otherwise still quite usable. Is it possible to disconnect power to the drive (orphan it) and still use the machine? I have looked through the setup options in the BIOS to see if there was some way to just turn it off, but no luck. Any help would be appreciated. Grant -- Finbogey Jones On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 00:30:34 GMT, Finbogey Jones <spams...

Are Floppy Drives A Necessity On Laptops?
Does it make sense to order a laptop without a floppy drive? I never use floppies anyway preferring portable USB flash memory storage. Jim <mp3dontspammesupport@wi99.riverr.com> wrote: : Does it make sense to order a laptop without a floppy drive? I never use : floppies anyway preferring portable USB flash memory storage. Sounds like having a floppy won't be a necessity for you. If it ever becomes so, you can always buy a USB external floppy drive. Andrew -- ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <---- ******************************************************************* ----> htt...

Laptop floppy drive help please...
Hi Guys and Guyesses, I have an old Toshiba 730CDT and I've just acquired a docking station for it. Now, the laptop has a CD but no floppy disk drive but the docking station has space for one and I wondered if I would need to get a specific drive for it or if just any old floppy drive would do. Any thoughts? Cheers, Steve Nobody know? Whereas On 28 Sep 2003 06:50:24 -0700, stephen@lifeofriley.freeserve.co.uk (Steve) scribbled: , I thus relpy: >Hi Guys and Guyesses, >I have an old Toshiba 730CDT and I've just acquired a docking station >for it. >Now, the laptop has a CD b...

seeking floppy drive for Thinkpad 560
If you're in Washington state and have a working floppy drive for the Thinkpad 560 to sell (or a compatible IBM drive...it has the small connector) please let me know at z72y@yahoo.com Thanks. Try ebay, lots of them. ...

MAC SE Floppy Drive 1.4 meg Floppy Drive (old)
I acquired a MAC SE with a 1.4 meg floppy drive. Previously I only had a Plus with an 800K floppy drive. When I tried to format one of my old disks, it still only had 800K. Did the 1.4 meg floppy drives use special disks? Or am I doing something wrong? Thank you, Bill Bill Bagot <wbagot1@san.rr.com> wrote: > I acquired a MAC SE with a 1.4 meg floppy drive. Previously I only > had a Plus with an 800K floppy drive. When I tried to format one of > my old disks, it still only had 800K. Did the 1.4 meg floppy drives > use special disks? Or am I doing something wrong? ...

laptop with only floppy drive: install with pccard?
I have a laptop with a floppy drive ( pentium, 32 M main memory, 1GB disc) Today, pccards are available with 1 and 2 Gbyte, ( CF card and adapter ) to be used in a laptop. Would it be possible to copy the iso file to a CF card, and use this as install medium instead of a CD rom? What should be done with the FAT file system that CF cards use normally? What device files uses minix3 for pc cards, and does the boot floppy search these devices? Suggestions ? Thanks, Frits fvleeuwen <fritsvleeuwen@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a laptop with a floppy drive ( pentium, 32 M main memory, 1GB ...

SuSE on laptop with NO floppy or CD drive
Hi all, I am getting a Panasonic Toughbook R1 this Friday, and am going to try to install SuSE over the network. However, this notebook lacks FDD and CDROM drives. I am fairly inexperienced, but as far as I can tell, it can be done without floppies or CDs... I looked around at Linux.org and found the following HOWTO: linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Network-boot-HOWTO/index.html Part 6.1.-- BOOTP or DHCP capable NICs is the part that makes me think that this is definitely possible The only problem is that the guide gives very little detail on how to actually boot from the network. It just tells me that once I set up a DHCP client that I am done, but I am not sure how to do this, and what I do after??? Once I get the laptop booted I am fairly sure that I won't have a problem FTPing the install... Oh and if this all goes to hell on me, I have a backup plan: alfalab.com/toughbook.html Someone else used a USB CDROM successfully (but I would rather save my $$$) Well any suggestions or pointers will be appreciated!!! Thanks, Dean -- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/ Mingo <thejesus@godmail.com> wrote: > I am fairly inexperienced, but as far as I can tell, it can be done without > floppies or CDs... If your laptop has an internal network card and can boot from network, you should be able to setup a remote installation server, otherwise a dirty-quick solution is to...

Replacing Thinkpad A20M Floppy Drive
Can anyone give a brief rundown on how to replace the floppy drive on my A20M, and/or where i can find the manual for doing so on IBM's site. Thanks very much in advance. Rick Barnes wrote: > Can anyone give a brief rundown on how to replace the floppy drive on > my A20M, and/or where i can find the manual for doing so on IBM's > site. _Hint:_ If you are unable to find the Hardware Maintenance Manual for your A20M on the IBM/Lenovo website, then you are just as incapable of correctly disassembling your laptop, installing a new floppy drive and reassembling everything c...

Thinkpad 760e
I have a TP 760E with an internal floppy drive. Is it possible to swap out the floppy drive and put in an internal CD drive? Is seems like it should be possible - but how do you remove the piece of pastic from the front of ththe laptop casing ? zztop8970 <none@tospeakof.com> wrote: > I have a TP 760E with an internal floppy drive. > Is it possible to swap out the floppy drive and put in an internal CD > drive? Is seems like it should be possible - but how do you remove > the piece of pastic from the front of ththe laptop casing ? From the TOP, the keyboard opens! Open the...

Does IBM Thinkpad T23 come with floppy drive?
If you purchase a new Thinkpad T23, does it automatically include a floppy drive? (There was a brief thread a couple of months ago where someone believed that the T-series no longer include a FDD). In my opinion, selling a new computer without a floppy drive is a disservice. How else is one supposed to easily transfer data to/from their computer? Anyway, can anyone verify whether the T23 comes with a floppy drive included? Has anyone bought a new T23 and discovered that there was no floppy drive in the box? Uzytkownik <ygr7@yahoo.com> napisal w wiadomosci news:e6f55066.0307161914.f...

Moving hard drive between laptops? Thinkpad 600e
I have a Thinkpad 600e which seems to be dead. Its CMOS battery went dead and I replaced it, and now whenever I boot I get the Thinkpad logo then it says "19153" under the RAM and the screen goes blank. I can't even get into BIOS setup or anything. Everything I'm finding indicates my motherboard is dead. Of course, this machine was not backed up. Its not the end of the world, but I'd like to be able to get stuff off it. I was looking through ebay and there are lots of cheap 600e's out there. Will I have any problems just pulling the hard drive from my current one and...

Clean Install of a laptop with only a combo floppy/cdrom drive
I am attempting a "clean install" on a laptop with only an "interchangeable" drive. A floppy or a CDrom drive NOT BOTH. QUESTION: If I boot from a Win98 disk with fdisk, and all other sys files, then run fdisk followed by format.com, how can I get to reboot from the Win98 CD in the CDrom drive after shutting down to replace the floppy with the CDrom drive? Do I have to copy the mcsdex.exe file to the C:/ drive? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! JimU This is really not the place for this question, but... Would suggest looking at a USB "box" for the d...

first time install: laptop, no floppy and a bum CDROM drive
I have an older thinkpad that I would like to install redhat on. It has no floppy and if I remember correctly, the CDROM drive isn't bootable(IE: If I put a win2k instal disk it doesn't read it. I have changed teh boot order) I do have a little converter that will allow me to connect my laptop HDD to my PC. With that said, is there anything that I can do to install it that way or does it need to be located on the target machine? Also, it's possible that the CDROM drive isn't as lame as i think it is, it may just need a driver, do you have any suggestions? The laptop currently has win2k pro installed, can I install redhat from windows? Sounds crazy, but maybe that is something that I could try? I'm new to all of this and could use any pointers that you may have. Thank you, Steve (SteveKlett@gmail.com) scribbled: > I do have a little converter that will allow me to connect my laptop > HDD to my PC. With that said, is there anything that I can do to > install it that way or does it need to be located on the target > machine? .... you can install to any drive, as long as it's seen > Also, it's possible that the CDROM drive isn't as lame as i think it > is, it may just need a driver, do you have any suggestions? the Linux installer might be able to see it, just be sure the BIOS is set correctly > The laptop currently has win2k pro installed, can I install redhat from > win...

WTB: power supply for g3 laptop, floppy and zip drives
Email me if you have any of these for a good price... ...

low cost replacement hard drive for IBM Thinkpad i1400 laptop
Hi Can anyone recommend a good UK supplier of used or refurbished laptop drives? My friends laptop drive is failing and I'm looking for a compatible replacement. I tried lime search and google but most suppliers dont have the lower capacity drives in stock. As I've been unable to find out the maximum size drive this laptop can use with I'd prefer to stick with the same size. So I'm looking for a supplier that has them available. Hope someone can help. Thanks for any info. BTW... This is the second IBM drive that has failed!! The original one was repla...

how to install windows on IBM thinkpad 240 without CD-ROM or floppy drive?
Hi, I was wondering whether I could pull the 2.5 drive out of an IBM thinkpad 240 laptop, use a laptop2IDE adapter to connect the drive to my desktop system and install a full XP (or 98 or 2000) OS on it, then install it back in the laptop? I realize that all the drivers will be messed up, but it seems that the only way to do it otherwise is to buy an IBM USB CD-ROM drive. I have an IOMEGA USB CD drive but that won't work. Are there cables that I could use to attach my desktop CD-ROM to the parallel port of the laptop to do the installation without pulling the drive? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Unfortunately, linux isn't an option here as I really need a couple of windows apps to work. TIA, Pete 1). Once you have taken out your drive do an fdisk format c: and scandisk/surface. 2). For win 98 load the CAB files to your drive and install it back in your laptop and run setup from dos. 2b). For win XP goto bootdisk.com and get the boot utility for XP. You need to load the i386 folder into your Hd. Boot with the utility disk and run smartdrv the setup for winxp is winnt.exe Hope this helps. Pete Riley <200401@peteriley.org> wrote in message news:<1acZb.474$GX6.206@fe07.usenetserver.com>... > Hi, > > I was wondering whether I could pull the 2.5 drive out of an IBM > thinkpad 240 laptop, use a laptop2IDE adapter to connect the drive to my > desktop system and install a full XP (or 98 or 2000) OS on it, then > i...

FORTH driver for NEC USB UF000x floppy drive for inspiron 600m laptop
Hello people, I'm having a little problem with starting on the creation of my driver. I recently wrote a standalone FORTH system for my laptop. It will be self contained once i'm able to write to mass storage. The next step is naturally to be able to read and write to either the hard drive or the floppy drive. I have a DELL inspiron 600m laptop. The floppy drive is a modular unit which can be inserted in a compartment on the right side of the laptop. And from what I can see, the modular unit connects through USB. I'm guessing i'll have to implement USB interfacing first to be...

Web resources about - ThinkPad floppy drive woes - comp.sys.laptops

ThinkPad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
ThinkPad is a line of laptop computers and tablets by Lenovo . The series was originally designed, developed, and sold by IBM until Lenovo acquired ...

ThinkPad Tablet Forum
ThinkPad Tablet Forum

Hero on ThinkPad - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
My new mobile phone: HTC Hero.

Lenovo Unboxed: ThinkPad X220t tablet - YouTube
We unbox the Lenovo ThinkPad X220t convertible tablet. Go up to 18 hours unplugged with our slice battery. Choose from among touch, pen or traditional ...

Lenovo unveils Windows 8 ThinkPad Tablet 2
Lenovo unveils Windows 8 ThinkPad Tablet 2

Lenovo toasts ThinkPad at 20 with new laptop, tablet
... unveiling of two new works - from Chinese PC maker Lenovo Group Ltd. Chinese PC maker Lenovo Group Ltd marked the 20th anniversary of the ThinkPad ...

大气沉稳商务本 ThinkPad X230i正热卖_ThinkPad笔记本电脑_笔记本行情-中关村在线
ThinkpadX230i笔记本一直以来都是商务本里的畅销机型,目前这款全新设计的产品正在亚马逊商城促销,最新价格为4599元,这个价格不算贵建议近期有购机计划的朋友关注一下亚马逊商城。亚马逊商城ThinkPadX230i促销Thin。

精中求变 ThinkPad T440简评_网易数码
精中求变 ThinkPad T440简评

Lenovo’s laptops are looking less like Thinkpads and more like MacBook Pros
. This is the new Lenovo IdeaPad U310 (and U410) as it appears in the FCC database . I always wonder if, in the design meetings at Lenovo, they ...

Sure, ThinkPads Sell Well, But What About Brand Lenovo?
He's dropped laptops from planes and sent school science projects into space, but can Lenovo CMO David Roman make the world's No. 2 computer ...