ThinkPadA31p CPU Cooling Fan runs non stop

Hi Everyone,

I'm having problem in ThinkPad A31p with Mobile Intel Pentium 4 processor
(2GHz). The processor cooling fan runs non stop even when frequency
(temperature) of the CPU drops down. Fan starts few seconds after starting
the computer and runs constantly until system shutdown.   I have installed
Win XP SP2 system on this computer. Previously I had TP A30 with  Mobile
Intel 1GHz (Win 2k) where CPU cooling fan was adjusting its RPM based on
the CPU frequency (temperature)  Is it a hardware problem or any additional
driver will solve the problem in  my TP A31p?

Any help or suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Marcin

Kapok 3300B Notebook - Laptop. Processor - CPU
Does any one know where I can get hold of a processor cooling fan for the Kapok 3300B Notebook. Cheers. John ...

Cooling laptops and cooling fans
Is there any way to stop the continuous processor cooling fans on my laptop or is it always supposed to be on. Anyone have any suggestions on cooling pads/stands for laptops or ways to cool them down on a desk? Thanks "fc045" <fc045@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:WVPxc.8441$uX2.1008@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net... | Is there any way to stop the continuous processor cooling fans on my laptop | or is it always supposed to be on. | | Anyone have any suggestions on cooling pads/stands for laptops or ways to | cool them down on a desk? | | Thanks I use one of these. Make...

How fast should CPU processor cooling fans run?
My machine has two 3.06GHz Xeon processors in it. Each of these processors has an Intel-supplied heat sink: a huge slab of copper with lots of fins weighing in at about one pound. It is necessary for the bolts that mount the processor retaining mechanism to go right through the mother board into the chassis to support the heat sinks. Each heat sink is enclosed in a "Processor Wind Tunnel" also supplied by Intel to ensure that the cooling air goes through the heat sink, cooling it, and not around it. Each 1.5" thick 60mm temperature-controlled fan is also supplied by Intel...

all fans running non stop..help please..
I have a hp pavillion m7658n. the power supply went out and i replace it with antec psu 500w. all works fine except all the fans are runnin non stop and at full speed. what should i check / do On Jun 23, 5:16 pm, geodriller <geodriller.3bi...@no.email.invalid> wrote: > I have a hp pavillion m7658n. the power supply went out and i replaced > it with antec psu 500w. all works fine except all the fans are running > non stop and at full speed. what should i check / do? I just bought an Antec 500w, and I noticed that its fan speed is at least twice that of the Antec 350w. But the rest of my computer's fans are working normally. ...

UserEventAgent running high CPU non-stop
Twice in the last week, UserEventAgent has gone wild running high CPU (82%) non-stop. I force quit it but it gets restored. Launchd is also running high CPU (73%) with cfprefsd coming up at 31%. mds_stores is at 26%. Kernel has 21% (called by the others, I expect) I rebooted and that kept things calm for a couple days, I just started (woke from sleep) the computer up and it's off to the races. Nothing obvious in Console. Logging out and back in did not fix it. Logging out, into admin (doesn't show there), log out. Log back into my user account .... boom the...

HP laptop
A friend has a HP laptop - ZE5385 - and the fan is running all the time .... it never shuts off - It is always running at 2.6Ghz - even with the Laptop power setting which I thought was supposed to have graduated speed settings... Any thoughts on why the Power setting of "Laptop" is not lowering the CPU speed, and also why the fan is running all the time - In comp.sys.laptops Phil Schuman <pschuman_nospam_me@interserv.com> wrote: : A friend has a HP laptop - ZE5385 - : and the fan is running all the time .... it never shuts off - : It is always running at 2.6Ghz - even with the Laptop power setting : which I thought was supposed to have graduated speed settings... : Any thoughts on why the Power setting of "Laptop" is not lowering the CPU : speed, : and also why the fan is running all the time - This is getting to be an FAQ on comp.sys.laptops. Two common answers: 1. The heat sink/fan area around the CPU has gotten dirty and needs to be cleaned out, so it can cool properly. 2. The laptop CPU is running near/at 100% load therefore causing the CPU to get hot and thus the fan comes on automatically to cool it. Could be spybot software or something like that or perhaps even anti-virus software that is always scanning files. The laptop would probably seem slow in this case, but you can verify by doing CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up task manager to look at CPU utilization. Andrew -- ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <---- *****************************...

laptop fan not running
The fan on my laptop has stopped running and my SMART monitor is telling me that the HD is running very hot. Is this usually a problem with the fan itself being defective or something else that is not triggering the fan to go on? How do I find out where the problem runs. -- Jeff Williams Email address deliberately false to avoid spam jeff@phony.com "Jeff" <jeff@falsepart.com> wrote in message news:%HYhd.7905$Ae.290@newsread1.dllstx09.us.to.verio.net... > The fan on my laptop has stopped running and my SMART monitor is telling me > that the HD i...

Laptop cooling fan
Hi! I am quite desperately looking for a special kind of fan to fit my laptop's cpu-cooler. It's a frameless fan, it's attached by means of a 3-legged 'star' at the bottom of the fan. It's dimensions are 46x46x8mm. The original fan was made by YS Tech. I think they still carry this kind of fan but I seem to be unable to find a (preferably Europe-based) dealer for it. This fan: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/a-p/fs4505mbtnf.html resembles what I would need, but it's very expensive (especially as they want 17 euro for shipping...). Can anyone provide me with a dealer through which I could order this kind of fan online? Thank you very much in advance! ...

Laptop CPU fan
I am working on a KDS Valiant laptop computer - the CPU fan needs to be replaced (not the entire heat sink unless absolutely necessary). Does anybody know where I can get a fan with the following specs? Really, I suppose the size, voltage and current are the most important aspects of the whole thing. Case Size(mm): 50x50x10 Voltage(VDC): 5 Current(Amp): .18 Speed(rpm): 5500 Air Flow(CFM): 3.04 Air Pressure(mmH2O): 9.47 Noise(dB-A): 32.5 Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! - Sean Sean Rife wrote: > I am working on a KDS Valiant laptop computer - the CPU fan needs to be >...

Arch Linux crapware: laptop runs 30% hotter vs Win7, fan runs all the time
"I installed Arch Linux on my laptop (Core i7 Sandy Bridge), and I'm noticing that CPU is running much more hotter than Windows 7. On Windows 7, the same machine runs on 50�C, but in Arch Linux it runs on 65�C, and the fan stay blowing air permanently (while on Windows it stays really quiet)." https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=132102 "Linux just works" various lying idiots "MS is doomed" various shrieking idiots On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 21:33:25 -0500, DFS wrote: > "I installed Arch Linux on my laptop (Core i7 Sandy Bridge), and I'm...

Processor Cooling Fan Does not stop
Gentelmen, I have Sony VGN-TX17GP Vaio and since two days ago I do not know why the procssor fan does not stop. I checked the CPU usage and was almost 0%. I am not sure why this is hapenning any advice >>>!!!! Knowing that i am withen 70F room temp. balawiha@hotmail.com wrote: >the procssor fan does not stop. Try powering it off and blowing compressed air backwards thru the cooling system to see if you can shake any dust loose... William P.N. Smith wrote: > Try powering it off and blowing compressed air backwards thru the > cooling system to see if you can shake any dust loose... STOP++++ dont do this! you could destroy the bearings by doing this. i dont think there is that much dust anyway. what powersetting do you work with? do you throttle your CPU using Intel SpeedStep? Check out the power-schemes by right-clicking the battery icon in your taskbar. you can also try to undervolt your CPU, altough i dont know if its possible with your CPU coz u have already a low-voltage model built in. the fan is a well known problem with Vaio TX-series. check out this TX-forum http://www.siliconpopculture.com/sonytr/viewforum.php?f=24 maybe you find some solutions there. Regards, Martin -- Please use reply-to address for mails. Thanks ...

Right Position for Laptop cooling Fan
Hi All, I am worried that i have an hp pavillion laptop dv4000 series. The laptop has ONLY 1 fan that is located at bottom. This fan is blocked if i keep laptop on my legs, or on a quilt, etc. Ofcourse it wont be blocked if i keep it on a flat hard surface. But i am used to use it in my bed without a table. Yesterday, i kept it on a quilt, and the laptop got enough hot because the fan was blocked. Can anyone tell me that the only remedy is to work on flat surface? Its a new laptop and well known in market. Are the manufacturers not aware that laptops may not be kept on a flat surface by user all the time and he/she may use it in bed. Why they have a poor design to provide a fan on bottom. I have a compaq laptop that has exhaust on the sides and bottom, both, so if bottom is blocked, the cooling process still goes on using side fans. Any suggestions. Sandy On 5 Feb 2006 09:37:56 -0800, "sandy_aquarius" <shaadi_2005@hotpop.com> wrote: >Hi All, >I am worried that i have an hp pavillion laptop dv4000 series. >The laptop has ONLY 1 fan that is located at bottom. >This fan is blocked if i keep laptop on my legs, or on a quilt, etc. >Ofcourse it wont be blocked if i keep it on a flat hard surface. >But i am used to use it in my bed without a table. >Yesterday, i kept it on a quilt, and the laptop got enough hot because >the fan was blocked. > >Can anyone tell me that the only remedy is to work on flat surface? >Its a new lapto...

Laptop fan running at full speed all the time
Hi, Since yesterday my laptop fan is constantly running at full speed. Just to see if it could be a driver, I've tried to run the computer under Windows safe mode and it seemed to help a little bit. The CPU temperature is 64 degrees Celcius (147 fahrenheit) and the CPU usage/activity is less than three percent. Any ideas? Hi think I've just found the answer to his myself. Yesterday I went into Power Options Properties and changed the Power sheme to Home/Office Desk. I remembered that it was since then that the fan was running at full speed all the time. To fix this I put the scheme to Portable/Laptop and Voil=E0!!! The fan is back to normal... I don't understand though... Why should this make a difference? neilsanner Possibly the Home/office setting disables "speed step" (slowing down the CPU) and causes the CPU to run at full speed constantly. I was going to suggest that your CPU fan/heatsink may be clogged with dust. neilsanner@yahoo.com wrote: > Hi think I've just found the answer to his myself. > > Yesterday I went into Power Options Properties and changed the Power > sheme to Home/Office Desk. I remembered that it was since then that the > fan was running at full speed all the time. To fix this I put the > scheme to Portable/Laptop and Voil�!!! The fan is back to normal... > > I don't understand though... Why should this make a difference? > > neilsanner > You're right: "On a defa...

sony laptop runs hot--aftermarket fan?
hi all I have a sony pcg-grv670, i've had it for about 9 months now. i love the machine but it runs very very hot, to the point where after it's been on for awhile, i notice a dignificant decrease in performance. when i'm home i put it on a laptop stand with fans, but on the road i have no such thing. Is there someway i can put a fan in that spins much faster, or has a much higher cfm rating? does such a thing exist? I don't care about noise. thanks Rich Try www.laptopspares.com they are very helpful and if you quote my name: Hamish they will definatly look after you. You can e-mail them on sales@laptopspares.com or go to their site and call them. richardwilner@hotmail.com (Rich Wilner) wrote in message news:<e5e18e0f.0404201857.f687c65@posting.google.com>... > hi all > I have a sony pcg-grv670, i've had it for about 9 months now. i love > the machine but it runs very very hot, to the point where after it's > been on for awhile, i notice a dignificant decrease in performance. > when i'm home i put it on a laptop stand with fans, but on the road i > have no such thing. > Is there someway i can put a fan in that spins much faster, or has a > much higher cfm rating? does such a thing exist? I don't care about > noise. > thanks > Rich Rich Wilner wrote: > hi all > I have a sony pcg-grv670, i've had it for about 9 months now. i love > the machine but it runs very very hot, to the point w...

Can I stop the CPU fan for a couple seconds?
I want to see where the fan noise is coming from? I can stick my finger in the fan for my Celeron 1.7Ghz for a few seconds without the cpu melting? I'm a little worried about hurting myself because the CPU fan spins twice the speed of chassis fan which I also stopped. "Van Nastring" <van@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:bqavpc$212sq4$1@ID-198839.news.uni-berlin.de... > I want to see where the fan noise is coming from? I can stick my finger in > the fan for my Celeron 1.7Ghz for a few seconds without the cpu melting? > > Van Nastring wrote: > I'm a little worried about hurting myself because the CPU fan spins twice > the speed of chassis fan which I also stopped. Yeah, that can be painful if the blades are sharp. It might be easier (and safer) to disconnect its power. Many motherboards will detect that it's no longer spinning and shut down, but I don't think a second or two will harm the CPU if yours doesn't, because the heatsink will continue to absorb and dissipate the heat. OTOH, I once accidentally bumped the power switch on while I had the heatsink completely removed, and that fried the (Athlon) CPU in less than a second. > > "Van Nastring" <van@yahoo.com> wrote in message > news:bqavpc$212sq4$1@ID-198839.news.uni-berlin.de... > >>I want to see where the fan noise is coming from? I can stick my finger > > in > >>the fan for my Celeron 1.7Ghz for a ...

Stop it Stop it Stop it
All this talk about Oblivion, and here I am, sitting on my hands, waiting for bastardbuy to ship me a freakin' out-of-stock-don't-know-when-more-will-arrive Xbox 360 and Oblivion. I have a good mind to download Oblivion from a torrent and play it on my computer. You're all so insensitive to my pain, so I'm going to have to filter Oblivion posts for now. "Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote in message news:kRZVf.811$u15.185775@news20.bellglobal.com... > All this talk about Oblivion, and here I am, sitting on my hands, waiting > for bastardbuy t...

Thermaltake cpu fan runs at half speed
I have a Thermaltake A1715 P4 Spark 7+ Xaser cooler, P4 3E Prescott, Intel D865GBF motherboard. The Thermaltake is set up with a jumper to run at full speed 6000 rpm instead of being temperature controlled, but Intel Active Monitor reports it at 2600+rpm constantly. Has anyone had problems with Active Monitor or this motherboard reporting inaccurate fan speeds? Bad Thermaltake? Is there another easy way to measure fan speeds? Ben Where I live it was 2/9/2005 8:30 PM, when Plan9 wrote: > I have a Thermaltake A1715 P4 Spark 7+ Xaser cooler, P4 3E Prescott, > Intel D865GBF motherboard. The Thermaltake is set up with a jumper to > run at full speed 6000 rpm instead of being temperature controlled, > but Intel Active Monitor reports it at 2600+rpm constantly. Solved. I had the Y power/sensor connector supplied with the heatsink fan in place; power connected to PS fan power connector and the sensor part connected to the motherboard. Removed the Y connector and connected the fan directly to the motherboard and viola it runs at full speed or can be set for any speed with the Thermaltake speed controller in place of the speed jumper. Ben ...

patchadd fails on non-global non-sparse non-running zones
Anyone seen this? I'm pretty sure this used to work. But I just ran 'smpatch update -L' on a machine with about 6 non-sparse (ie, no inherit-pkg-dir setting) zones and some of the patches worked, but some of them failed in the non-running zones. The log messages complain about read only filesystem problems, eg: pkgadd: ERROR: unable to create unique temporary file </usr/lib/inet/inetdC5a4go>: (30) Read-only file system Also, how do I recover from this? smpatch thinks the patches are applied, since it worked in the global zone. thanks -frank ...

Quiet Sonoma laptop without permanently running fan?
Hi, It appears to me that almost all current Sonoma laptops have a permanently running fan. Some fans are louder, some are rather quiet. But are there any recommendable Sonoma laptops whose fan does not run all the time unless you stress the laptop by playing games, doing CPU-intensive calculations, using demanding graphics applications, etc.? Paul ...

Compaq Amrada 7400 Laptop Cooling Fan Question
When should the cooling fan run on this laptop. All the time, or only when it gets hot enough? Mine does not ever seem to run, yet it does not shut down or get flaky due to heat. Thanks. "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public," President Theodore Roosevelt. ...

new non-widescreen laptop running 1600x1200 res?
Does anyone know if there is a decent laptop being manufactured / sold today that is NOT a widescreen-formatted laptop that can run 1600x1200 resolution? Thanks. You can find new Sony GRT and GRX 16.1" notebooks at some outlets. You might also want to check eBay. There might be some almost new models. I have one and the screen is great. In fact, I like it better than my 17" Dell M1710, which is a great laptop itself. The 16.1 is perfect for PowerPoint slide editing and impromptu presentations. ********************* Promote Renewable Energy www.CarbonFund.org "Brian McCabe" <briansmccabe@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1170275578.328624.136750@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com... > Does anyone know if there is a decent laptop being manufactured / sold > today that is NOT a widescreen-formatted laptop that can run 1600x1200 > resolution? > > Thanks. > Brian McCabe wrote: > Does anyone know if there is a decent laptop being manufactured / sold > today that is NOT a widescreen-formatted laptop that can run 1600x1200 > resolution? Thinkpad T60P with the 15" UXGA-IPS display, if you can find one. Got one, love it. -- James Visit the Thinkpad Forums http://forum.thinkpads.com On Jan 31, 3:32 pm, "Brian McCabe" <briansmcc...@gmail.com> wrote: > Does anyone know if there is a decent laptop being manufactured / sold > today that is NOT a widescreen-formatted laptop that can run 1...

Laptop running hot, fan never comes on: HELP
Hello all, I have Mandriva 2006 running on an older Toshiba Tecra 8000 and it's running GREAT, btw except for one thing - the cpu fan never activates therefore this unit runs pretty hot. Apparently it's not an immediate problem because I have had it running flawlessly for days, but I am worried about the long term affects as it "feels" abnormaly hot to the touch most of the time. Symptoms: When I reboot the laptop, the fan IS running... up until about init 5. In other words, the fan does work and the BIOS seems to know when to run it, and when not to, but soon as the "In...

My Acer laptop doesn't run after cool night
I have a little problem with my laptop. When I try to switch on it after any cool nihgt it runs on ~2 sec and automatically switchs off. What is the reson of that, and how to repair my laptop? Thanks Is it only after a cool night!!! Have you tried a different location to where you normally store/keep the laptop? Does it still do the same? Is your battery fully charged? Let it charge overnight, to be sure. Check your power save settings. Incorrect settings sometimes cause this as well. Have you tried running from the mains? Still switching off. Then it may be more like processor or the processor fan is faulty. Hope this is useful. Battery Wizard http://www.ComputerBatteries.co.uk PS: Check http://www.batfaq.com as well!!! Ther is no difference if I try to turn it on when the batterr is used or not (only AC). By the way, my laptop looks to work properly when I warmed it up, or most preciselly when I warmed the radiator on the processor. Fortunately my hairdryer works good. Can you help me please? Thanks Sounds like something could possibly be picking up moisture through condensation or that due to expansion and contraction because of temperature extremes, some component or other is not making proper contact and needs re-seating. Try re-seating the RAM module(s) if they are easily accessible. Like the OP said it might be an issue with the CPU fan. If the fan bearings have dried out a little or if there's a build-up of dust and fluff it may n...

new non-widescreen laptop running 1600x1200 res? #2
Does anyone know if there is a decent laptop being manufactured / sold today that is NOT a widescreen-formatted laptop that can run 1600x1200 resolution? Thanks. If you are looking for a UXGA screen in a normal form factor, some thinpads came (probably still come) in that configuration, UXGA on a 15.1 inch screen. They tend to have a p suffix. I personally use an a30p, an a31p, and a t42p. I believe there is a t60p, but can't swear to it. Some people have issues with the latest thinkpads, now that lenovo and not ibm is the supplier. ...

Web resources about - ThinkPadA31p CPU Cooling Fan runs non stop - comp.sys.laptops