Toshiba Laptop Won't Boot with any New Battery

I have a Toshiba laptop model S70-BBT2N23 which I purchased last April. The
laptop works fine with no problems.

I decided to buy an extra battery to use as a backup. When I installed the
battery, the computer would not boot up, even with the AC plugged in. If I
remove the battery or put the original battery back in, all works fine. I
initially thought this was a battery problem, so I exchanged the battery for
a replacement and got the same result. These were aftermarket batteries, so
I then bought a Toshiba branded battery which appeared to be exactly the
same as the original battery - and I again got the same result. In every
case, the laptop will not boot up with the replacement battery and just
flashes the power light, even with the AC plugged in. Put the original
battery in (with or without AC) or just run on AC and all works fine.

Any ideas?

0
Rick

Rick wrote:

> I have a Toshiba laptop model S70-BBT2N23 which I purchased last April. The
> laptop works fine with no problems.
>
> I decided to buy an extra battery to use as a backup. When I installed the
> battery, the computer would not boot up, even with the AC plugged in. If I
> remove the battery or put the original battery back in, all works fine. I
> initially thought this was a battery problem, so I exchanged the battery for
> a replacement and got the same result. These were aftermarket batteries, so
> I then bought a Toshiba branded battery which appeared to be exactly the
> same as the original battery - and I again got the same result. In every
> case, the laptop will not boot up with the replacement battery and just
> flashes the power light, even with the AC plugged in. Put the original
> battery in (with or without AC) or just run on AC and all works fine.
>
> Any ideas?

No experience with this brand and model but I'm wondering if the new
batteries have more cells hence a higher mAH rating.  More cells means
either more current to charge them up (the built-in charger might not be
able to handle that high a load) or take longer to charge but result in
a too-low charging load (so the charger thinks the battery is dead and
will not attempt to charge for safety reasons).  New battery packs often
come delivered uncharged.  If the built-in charger cannot or won't
charge those new batteries then they come dead and stay dead.  Some
laptops will not boot if the battery pack is dead or removed even when
the A/C cord is connected.

According to what online specs that I could find on this brand and
model, it comes with a 6-cell battery pack.  Do the new battery packs
have 6 cells and are rated around 4400 mAH?  Or do they have more cells
and a higher mAH rating?  The built-in charger may not be able to handle
a 9-cell battery pack rated for 7800 mAH.

Doesn't look like anyone knew in the Toshiba forums where you asked at
http://www.forums.toshiba.com/t5/Batteries-and-Power/S70-B-Won-t-Power-up-with-Replacement-Battery/td-p/684795.
Did you try asking Toshiba support (http://support.toshiba.com/contact)?
0
VanguardLH
3/27/2016 1:38:36 AM
Rick wrote:

>> I have a Toshiba laptop model S70-BBT2N23 which I purchased last April.
>> The
>> laptop works fine with no problems.
>>
>> I decided to buy an extra battery to use as a backup. When I installed
>> the
>> battery, the computer would not boot up, even with the AC plugged in. If
>> remove the battery or put the original battery back in, all works fine. I
>> initially thought this was a battery problem, so I exchanged the battery
>> for
>> a replacement and got the same result. These were aftermarket batteries,
>> so
>> I then bought a Toshiba branded battery which appeared to be exactly the
>> same as the original battery - and I again got the same result. In every
>> case, the laptop will not boot up with the replacement battery and just
>> flashes the power light, even with the AC plugged in. Put the original
>> battery in (with or without AC) or just run on AC and all works fine.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
>No experience with this brand and model but I'm wondering if the new
>batteries have more cells hence a higher mAH rating.  More cells means
>either more current to charge them up (the built-in charger might not be
>able to handle that high a load) or take longer to charge but result in
>a too-low charging load (so the charger thinks the battery is dead and
>will not attempt to charge for safety reasons).  New battery packs often
>come delivered uncharged.  If the built-in charger cannot or won't
>charge those new batteries then they come dead and stay dead.  Some
>laptops will not boot if the battery pack is dead or removed even when
>the A/C cord is connected.
>
>According to what online specs that I could find on this brand and
>model, it comes with a 6-cell battery pack.  Do the new battery packs
>have 6 cells and are rated around 4400 mAH?  Or do they have more cells
>and a higher mAH rating?  The built-in charger may not be able to handle
>a 9-cell battery pack rated for 7800 mAH.
>
>Doesn't look like anyone knew in the Toshiba forums where you asked at
>http://www.forums.toshiba.com/t5/Batteries-and-Power/S70-B-Won-t-Power-up-with-Replacement-Battery/td-p/684795.
>Did you try asking Toshiba support (http://support.toshiba.com/contact)?

The replacement battery is a 6-cell like the original and has the same power
specs - in this case, 4200 mAh.  I contacted an authorized Toshiba service
center today via email, and they too were stumped, but guessed it could be a
weird motherboard problem.  I will probably have to take it in this week
since the one-year warranty runs out in about three weeks, but I was hoping
to avoid that since they will probably tie the PC up for several days
(especially if they end up replacing the motherboard) and I might end up
having to reload all my data.

Rick
3/27/2016 1:55:51 AM
Rick wrote:

> Rick wrote:
>>
>>> I have a Toshiba laptop model S70-BBT2N23 which I purchased last April.
>>> The
>>> laptop works fine with no problems.
>>>
>>> I decided to buy an extra battery to use as a backup. When I installed
>>> the
>>> battery, the computer would not boot up, even with the AC plugged in. If
>>> remove the battery or put the original battery back in, all works fine. I
>>> initially thought this was a battery problem, so I exchanged the battery
>>> for
>>> a replacement and got the same result. These were aftermarket batteries,
>>> so
>>> I then bought a Toshiba branded battery which appeared to be exactly the
>>> same as the original battery - and I again got the same result. In every
>>> case, the laptop will not boot up with the replacement battery and just
>>> flashes the power light, even with the AC plugged in. Put the original
>>> battery in (with or without AC) or just run on AC and all works fine.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>>No experience with this brand and model but I'm wondering if the new
>>batteries have more cells hence a higher mAH rating.  More cells means
>>either more current to charge them up (the built-in charger might not be
>>able to handle that high a load) or take longer to charge but result in
>>a too-low charging load (so the charger thinks the battery is dead and
>>will not attempt to charge for safety reasons).  New battery packs often
>>come delivered uncharged.  If the built-in charger cannot or won't
>>charge those new batteries then they come dead and stay dead.  Some
>>laptops will not boot if the battery pack is dead or removed even when
>>the A/C cord is connected.
>>
>>According to what online specs that I could find on this brand and
>>model, it comes with a 6-cell battery pack.  Do the new battery packs
>>have 6 cells and are rated around 4400 mAH?  Or do they have more cells
>>and a higher mAH rating?  The built-in charger may not be able to handle
>>a 9-cell battery pack rated for 7800 mAH.
>>
>>Doesn't look like anyone knew in the Toshiba forums where you asked at
>>http://www.forums.toshiba.com/t5/Batteries-and-Power/S70-B-Won-t-Power-up-with-Replacement-Battery/td-p/684795.
>>Did you try asking Toshiba support (http://support.toshiba.com/contact)?
>
> The replacement battery is a 6-cell like the original and has the same power
> specs - in this case, 4200 mAh.  I contacted an authorized Toshiba service
> center today via email, and they too were stumped, but guessed it could be a
> weird motherboard problem.  I will probably have to take it in this week
> since the one-year warranty runs out in about three weeks, but I was hoping
> to avoid that since they will probably tie the PC up for several days
> (especially if they end up replacing the motherboard) and I might end up
> having to reload all my data.
>
> --

Days?  You might not get it back for 6-8 weeks if you have to ship it to
a regional service center.  Or does "take it in" mean you go back to the
store and have some geek squad poke around?

You are going to save an image backup, right, before "taking it in"?
0
VanguardLH
3/27/2016 2:35:47 AM
"VanguardLH"  wrote in message news:dlov88F2t5oU1@mid.individual.net...

>Rick wrote:

>>>No experience with this brand and model but I'm wondering if the new
>>>batteries have more cells hence a higher mAH rating.  More cells means
>>>either more current to charge them up (the built-in charger might not be
>>>able to handle that high a load) or take longer to charge but result in
>>>a too-low charging load (so the charger thinks the battery is dead and
>>>will not attempt to charge for safety reasons).  New battery packs often
>>>come delivered uncharged.  If the built-in charger cannot or won't
>>>charge those new batteries then they come dead and stay dead.  Some
>>>laptops will not boot if the battery pack is dead or removed even when
>>>the A/C cord is connected.
>>>
>>>According to what online specs that I could find on this brand and
>>>model, it comes with a 6-cell battery pack.  Do the new battery packs
>>>have 6 cells and are rated around 4400 mAH?  Or do they have more cells
>>>and a higher mAH rating?  The built-in charger may not be able to handle
>>>a 9-cell battery pack rated for 7800 mAH.
>>>
>>>Doesn't look like anyone knew in the Toshiba forums where you asked at
>>>http://www.forums.toshiba.com/t5/Batteries-and-Power/S70-B-Won-t-Power-up-with-Replacement-Battery/td-p/684795.
>>>Did you try asking Toshiba support (http://support.toshiba.com/contact)?
>>
>> The replacement battery is a 6-cell like the original and has the same
>> power
>> specs - in this case, 4200 mAh.  I contacted an authorized Toshiba
>> service
>> center today via email, and they too were stumped, but guessed it could
>> be a
>> weird motherboard problem.  I will probably have to take it in this week
>> since the one-year warranty runs out in about three weeks, but I was
>> hoping
>> to avoid that since they will probably tie the PC up for several days
>> (especially if they end up replacing the motherboard) and I might end up
>> having to reload all my data.
>>
>> --
>
>Days?  You might not get it back for 6-8 weeks if you have to ship it to
>a regional service center.  Or does "take it in" mean you go back to the
>store and have some geek squad poke around?
>
>You are going to save an image backup, right, before "taking it in"?

No, I would take it in to an authorized Toshiba service center here in town.
I've used them before for warranty repair on a Toshiba laptop, and they are
fairly good.  And yes, I would do an image backup, but it's still a pain to
have to do.

Rick
3/27/2016 3:06:34 AM
On 3/26/2016 5:59 PM, Rick wrote:
> I have a Toshiba laptop model S70-BBT2N23 which I purchased last April.
> The laptop works fine with no problems.
>
> I decided to buy an extra battery to use as a backup. When I installed
> the battery, the computer would not boot up, even with the AC plugged
> in. If I remove the battery or put the original battery back in, all
> works fine. I initially thought this was a battery problem, so I
> exchanged the battery for a replacement and got the same result. These
> were aftermarket batteries, so I then bought a Toshiba branded battery
> which appeared to be exactly the same as the original battery - and I
> again got the same result. In every case, the laptop will not boot up
> with the replacement battery and just flashes the power light, even with
> the AC plugged in. Put the original battery in (with or without AC) or
> just run on AC and all works fine.
>
> Any ideas?
I'd bet it's a battery problem.
How old are those batteries?
I'm not asking when you bought them.
I'm asking when they were manufactured.
A battery that has been sitting for five years in a shipping container
sitting in the sun in Arizona is not a new battery.
They self-discharge and the battery protection disconnects them.
If the cells are imbalanced, simply discharging it till it quits
can take it out of service permanently.

Battery protection circuits and results vary considerably.
sometimes, you can fix the battery, sometimes you can make it work,
but the battery gauge doesn't work, sometimes can't do anything to
make the protection chip recover and let you use the battery.

I had a very similar problem with a Toshiba battery.

My battery was dead.  Nothing, no charge, no run, no nothing.
I opened it up and recharged the cells individually.
The computer booted from the battery, but the gauge didn't work.
Always said zero charge and ran till it suddenly quit.
And it wouldn't charge.  It always ran from the battery when
the AC was connected.

I could run the thing was off the battery with AC disconnected.
I could run the thing off AC with the battery REMOVED.
Only way it would recharge was OFF with the battery inserted
and AC connected.

Clever strategy to FORCE you to buy a new battery, but still let
you run the machine.

That's the only machine I've ever seen with that draconian battery
strategy.

So, that's my story, believe it or not.
YMMV

0
mike
3/27/2016 4:00:31 AM
If the battery isn't too dead, you may have success if you install it and l=
eave the laptop plugged in to AC but turned off, for 24 hours.  That's Tosh=
iba and Sony's instruction when you buy a new laptop from them, and I'm sur=
e it would apply to a new battery and for the same reasons, as well.  It en=
sures that the new battery is fully charged to maximum capacity so that cha=
rging and wear-measuring are accurate down the road.
0
dg

Laptop won't boot with battery installed. What's broken?
I have a 5 y/o Compaq NC600c that has spent most of it's like plugged-in and is used daily. It froze in-use and on reboot via the big switch, it would flash some lights and start the boot sequence but never get to the poing of spinning up the hard disk. It would then go dark and do it again, seemingly forever. It does this, plugged in or not. Eventually, I tried the laptop w/o the battery and it works fine. Is this a dead battery? A dead inverter that is killing the system? -- Al Dykes News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is advertising. - Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail In news:fvhkq4$jao$1@panix5.panix.com, Al Dykes typed on 3 May 2008 08:11:48 -0400: > I have a 5 y/o Compaq NC600c that has spent most of it's like > plugged-in and is used daily. > > It froze in-use and on reboot via the big switch, it would flash some > lights and start the boot sequence but never get to the poing of > spinning up the hard disk. It would then go dark and do it again, > seemingly forever. It does this, plugged in or not. > > Eventually, I tried the laptop w/o the battery and it works fine. > > Is this a dead battery? A dead inverter that is killing the system? Yes it does sound like a dead battery. Although here are many things that can cause this too. What happens if you put the battery in after it boots up? Does the machine shutdown or what? When it is plugged in and off, does the battery...

Toshiba 4000CDS laptop won't boot.
Hi, I have a Toshiba 4000CDS laptop that won't boot. 1. I switch the Power on .. OK 2. Boot screen "Toshiba In touch with tomorow" ... OK 3. "Enter password .. " I enter the password. "Valid password entered system is now starting up." But nothing happens from then on. (Can't even get in touch with Today let alone tomorrow !) I don't have any Toshiba floppies. Nor CD. What can I do now ? TIA Mc Fadden Sounds like a bad hard drive. You need to see if you can boot from a floppy and/or from a CD. If you can do that, it's almost certainly a bad hard drive. Make a bootable floppy and/or CD on another machine (doesn't have to be a "Toshiba" specific floppy). [to boot from a CD, you may need to change the boot sequence in the BIOS] If the hard drive is bad, get a new hard drive and reinstall Windows. You can use a generic version of any version of Windows from 95 to XP (however, don't use XP unless you have at least 96 megabytes of memory, and preferably 160 megabytes). It's also possible that the OS on the hard drive got wiped out but that the hard drive is still physically ok (e.g. you could reformat and/or repartition the hard drive and it would be ok for a reinstallation of Windows). If you are going to reinstall the OS, reflash the bios to the latest version first. All necessary Toshiba drivers, as well as the bios, are on the Toshiba web site. If the hard drive is bad...

Dropped Toshiba Laptop won't go past initial boot screen
Hi all, I was sitting on the couch with my brother the other day and when I stood up his foot happened to be on my computer power cord and it was jerked out of my hands and fell flat on the floor. It was on and remained on at that point. I turned if off to travel the next day, when I returned to my home and attempted to turn on the computer it got through about 60-80% of the initial boot and then just sat still. Wouldn't do anything. I was just hoping that someone might have a suggestion as to what the problem would be, and would post their ideas here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Anything to keep from spending money to fix it (poor college student here). Thanks in advance, FPWL "Fletcher" <FpwL1399@gmail.com> wrote in message news:24a5420a-a7bd-45e6-9449-140038d77491@i29g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > Hi all, > > I was sitting on the couch with my brother the other day and when I > stood up his foot happened to be on my computer power cord and it was > jerked out of my hands and fell flat on the floor. It was on and > remained on at that point. I turned if off to travel the next day, > when I returned to my home and attempted to turn on the computer it > got through about 60-80% of the initial boot and then just sat still. > Wouldn't do anything. > > I was just hoping that someone might have a suggestion as to what the > problem would be, and would post their ideas here. Any help would be > ...

laptop won't boot !!!
I have the same problem. But in my case the hard drive get invisible, and the system cann't boot from the visible DvD. I get the ugly message insert boot disk if you wonna use me ;). Bios setup stay accessible. I suspect something wrong with IDE hardware Any suggestions ? Thankx. > Hi all, > > I have an inspiron 3800 which will boot very occasionally but most of > the time when I turn it on it does nothing. > > by nothing, I mean the fan starts and the screen appears to be in 80x25 > text mode with just a cursor blinking in the top left corner. there is > no bios screen and no beeps. control-alt-del does nothing, nor does the > setup button or f2 etc. > > on the rare occasions it does boot (no idea why) it is stable. > > any clues please? it's going in the skip if I can't figure it out... > > Andy > ...

Laptop won't boot #3
I had problems with my laptop shutting itself down, particularly when trying to perform memory intensive tasks (playing a game, watching a video, etc.). My initial thoughts were overheating, so I cleaned the heatsink (which was fairly clean anyway) and added some more heat transfer gel. It didn't help. Then one day, I got the lovely BSOD complete with a load of writing which I didn't catch before it turned itself off. After that the laptop refuses to boot, preferring instead to show me a blank screen with a flashing cursor. On occassion it doesn't even show me the BIOS screen. Since then I've ran the IBM Hard Disk diagnostic, which has given me disposition code 0x70, which I'm led to believe basically means its no use anymore. Before changing it I decided to run memtest and check the memory, the only problem is it shuts itself down in the middle of memtest! So does this mean I have more problems than just my HD? Has my memory gone too? Is there any way to find out? Thanks in advance for any help ...

Laptop won't power on with battery
Hi, I'm having the weirdest problem with my laptop (Micron TransPort XKE, Pentium MMX @ 233MHz, 6GB HDD, 64MB RAM, Win2k). It won't power on with the battery in it. It needs the AC adapter plugged in to turn on, even if the battery is fully charged. HOWEVER -- and this is the puzzling part -- once turned on, if you unplug the AC, it'll run for almost 3 hours off of the battery. It just won't turn on from the battery. Any ideas/help? Thanks, Anthony maybe a power setting in the system bios. But it also sounds like an old Laptop. So it might just be showing its age. <xDataDrainx90@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1160351393.087948.98970@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I'm having the weirdest problem with my laptop (Micron TransPort XKE, > Pentium MMX @ 233MHz, 6GB HDD, 64MB RAM, Win2k). It won't power on > with the battery in it. It needs the AC adapter plugged in to turn on, > even if the battery is fully charged. HOWEVER -- and this is the > puzzling part -- once turned on, if you unplug the AC, it'll run for > almost 3 hours off of the battery. It just won't turn on from the > battery. > > Any ideas/help? > > Thanks, > Anthony > xDataDrainx90@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I'm having the weirdest problem with my laptop (Micron TransPort XKE, > Pentium MMX @ 233MHz, 6GB HDD, 64MB RAM, Win2k). It won't power on > with the battery in it. It needs...

Compaq Laptop won't boot to CD.
My Compaq Laptop with a one bay floppydrive/cdrom, one day, will not boot up to windows 2000 Pro. It will not boot up to the install CD when trying to reinstall window 2000. The laptop was originally Windows 95, then later upgraded to 98 and now 2000. Even after I set the BOIS to allow the CD-ROM to be the first to boot it will not see any bootable CD. I don't have the restore CD. The reason for reinstalling is because the operating system won't boot up. It hangs. It will boot up to the boot diskettes. After running the win2000 boot diskettes I choose "R' for repair but I get, "cannot find hard drive." I'm trying to get to a command prompt so I can copy the disks to the hard drive but not sure how to get into the command prompt. What are some other ideas I can try? Thanks. <rspartacus@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1162731860.257604.70420@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > My Compaq Laptop with a one bay floppydrive/cdrom, one day, will not > boot up to windows 2000 Pro. It will not boot up to the install CD when > trying to reinstall window 2000. The laptop was originally Windows 95, > then later upgraded to 98 and now 2000. Even after I set the BOIS to > allow the CD-ROM to be the first to boot it will not see any bootable > CD. I don't have the restore CD. <snip> you need to go into the bios and see if you can re-detect the harddrive and cdrom... it appears that they both have not been detected. I...

VAIO laptop locked and won't boot
After connecting my Sony VAIO AR520E VistaHP system to the Internet using my Cricket wireless dongle, as I have done many times before, when I returned to the laptop I saw a login-like screen that stated "Computer Locked" but when I moved my mouse to unlock it the screen went black and I have not been able to get the laptop to reboot since then. Not even the VAIO logo screen displays. I disconnected it from the mains to run it off the battery but that made no difference. The power light remains on but the battery light comes on briefly then turns off. The hard drive light...

HP Laptop won't boot, lights flicker
My HP Pavilion ZV5000 won't start up. I press the power button and the LED lights flicker, the fans budge slightly, and then it all turns off. The laptop itself is one of the shakiest computer's i've ever run across, and I have a strong suspicion there's a simple solution. The battery light is on saying it's charged, so it's not like the laptop's not receiving power. The battery itself is very weak (if that has anything to do with anything). If I take the battery out it with the power still plugged in it's the same behavior. I would be fretting that it's some kind of permanent problem but I had taken the laptop to a friends (and it had previously been working great) when it started doing this. Lights flicker and that's it. I pressed the button five or six times thinking it was nothing and it started up fine randomly. It's not starting up this time, but it suggests that it's some kind of easily fixed problem. I've tried cleaning the fans, actually, and that didn't work. I checked the simple solutions like making sure everything is getting power, and it is. And I've held down the power button, that doesnt do anything (the power actually turns on when you release the button, not hold down). Man, any help would be so great. Thank you. ...

Dell laptop battery won't stay put
My laptop at work is a Dell Inspiron 4000. It's OK considering I didn't pay for it, but the battery won't stay in the compartment when the laptop is handled. For example, if I have it running but suspended and pick it up to move it to another location across the room the battery will invariably fall out of the slot. It's like the "latch" doesn't catch to hold it in place. Is there a DIY fix for this so I don't have to send it back to Dell for repair and be w/o a computer while it's away? Thx ...

Toshiba laptop won't see 30gb HD
I have a Toshiba 30gb hard drive that I am trying to install in a Toshiba 7010ct laptop. .It has a 4.3gb that the bios see and works OK but the bios does not see 30gb at all. Bios reports no hard drive and when I run disk manager it see's nothing. I Know CMS sells large hard drives for the 7010 so I know it should work. This hard drive works fine in an old 486 laptop, so I know the drive is good. Anyone know how to get this laptop to see this drive. Thanks in advance. ...

What are basic diagnostic tests on a Windows laptop that won't boot?
Those of you with experience troubleshooting a dead laptop, can you provide advice? I have a Windows 7 HP G72 laptop which suddenly stopped working. Do you have an idea how to do basic troubleshooting? What happens when I try to reboot is that nothing shows up on the 17-inch screen whatsoever. The only indicators are the fan and a half dozen LEDs. The fan is most notable. When I press the power switch, the fan goes on for what I timed at 40 seconds. Then the fan goes off. The white LED to the immediate left of the topside power switch glows white when the computer is tu...

Compaq Armada laptop won't work under battery power
Hi All, I am using a Compaq Armada e500 laptop at work and it occasioanlly decides it's no longer going to run on battery power. The battery is charging when the laptop is plugged in, and is recieving a full charge (eventually the charging indicator goes off). I have also tested the battery with a meter and it has a comparable charge on it as when it was working. Also, the LEDs on the battery show it at 100%. The laptop refuses to give any indication of power when disconnected from the A/C adaptor, and if unplugged while running, will immediatley cut off as though no power is reaching the unit from any source. The symptoms also persist if using the alternate battery slot (removing the floppy drive and inserting the battery there). I did mention that this has been an intermittent problem, by which I mean that it has occurred previously and then spontaneously started working again about 3 weeks later. I'm hoping to figure out a solution, or at least an explanation, without having to buy a new battery pack for $100+ if possible. Any input would be welcome. Low Gee My old Armada M700 had identical symptoms. It turned out to be a defective batter. Compaq actually had a recall on those batteries, so I received my replacement free of charge. But since yours is a different model, I can't say if the same applies to your laptop. Cosmin Low-Gee wrote: > Hi All, > > I am using a Compaq Armada e500 laptop at work and it occasioanlly > decides it's...

4000T won't boot won't POST
I've had this problem for a while. Repair guys (no longer servicing Amiga's) said it was a problem with the motherboard not posting. (I believe this is a PC term) Said he got it working somehow by by-passing SCSI and using only IDE. But when returned it still did not work. Even with a new Power supply, nothing seems to power up. Even the floppy doesn't 'flick' (that funny noise it makes upon power-up) Any help appreciated. thanks Phil "Phil Bastien" <pbastien@nnby.net> ha scritto nel messaggio news:c9qtlu0na3@enews1.newsguy.com... > I've had this problem for a while. Repair guys (no longer servicing Amiga's) > said it was a problem with the motherboard not posting. (I believe this is a > PC term) Said he got it working somehow by by-passing SCSI and using only > IDE. But when returned it still did not work. Are you using an X-Calibur accelerator? It is incompatible with the A4091 and, with my configuration, it hangs just after loading its software, when it resets the Amiga. I am curious about how to bypass the SCSI controller in the A4000T... -- ___ __ / __|___ Daniele Gratteri, Italian Commodore-Amiga user... /// | / |__/ Nickname: FIAT1100D - ICQ: 53943994 Ritmo S75 __ /// | \__|__\ Home page: http://www.gratteri.tk forever! \\\/// \___| E-MAIL: daniele@gratteri.tk ...since 1990 \/// ...

Toshiba Satellite M35-S135 won't boot up using battery only
Hi! The laptop refuses to respond to "Power On" button when it's in hibernate or powered off and ac/dc adapter is uplugged. Once turned on (with adapter), it works fine using battery only (for about 2-3 hours). I've tried using new battery, but without any luck. I'd be very greatful for every advice. Thank you. ...

Willie won't, Willie won't, won't go!
Ah yes, some 70s nostalgia tunes. ...

Fedora Core 2 won't boot on floppyless HP Pavilion Laptop
I installed Fedora Core 2 on an HP Pavilion zv5000 laptop that has no floppy drive. The install looks like it it went OK: it gets to the end, says the install went well, now remove the installation media and reboot. And then... :-( It starts booting then hangs. When I removed the 'quiet' switch from the boot commands I watched it get about half way through then it printed an error message saying it couldn't find a floppy device and then just simply stopped doing anything. Here is the boot command (when you hit 'e' on the grub graphical start screen): root (hd0,1) ke...

HP laptop won't boot without HD (was HD Controller issue?)
Why is it that my laptop won't boot without the HD in place? I've never had this problem with any PC - though I have to admit I've never tried it with a laptop before. The reason being that I'd rather run knoppix off my laptop than try and fix the irritating problem I described in HD Controller Issue (previous post) I'm no novice as such - I've been working with the internals of PC's for almost a decade. I've disabled it in the BIOS, changed the boot sequence etc and yet it still searches for the HD without looking for the CD drive. Am I overlooking something stupid in the BIOS? Is it a jumper setting on the laptop motherboard (do I need to get my soldering iron out?) or is this a perminant thing I can do nothing about? Thanks in advance for anyone who's got any ideas or experience with this problem. ahah, seems like it was the hard disk after all. The samsung HD (which is a 5400 rather than a 4200) works very well, no crashes using any of the programs. I shall test with a full mke2fs -c -c /dev/hda1 tonight. Unfortunately it looks like the travelstar (which HP allegidly replaced three times!) was the faulty item. All that hassle when they could have replaced the HD in the first place. Mind you, I got a free upgrade & kept the old one. How much (roughly) would I get when ebaying this? It's vt6200 1.7gig with (allegidly) new battery, new TFT (no dead pixels), new HD (absolutely brand new - guarenteed), new motherboard (...

Power supply New laptop batteries,laptop charger(AC/DC Adapter) for HP, Compaq, Sony, Dell, Acer, IBM, Toshiba on sale.
Buy Discount New laptop batteries? We offer you high quality, high capacity spare laptop battery(backup) and universal Laptop battery, replacement Laptop (Notebook) Batteries, laptop battery conditioner,Power supply Auto air AC/DC Adapters (Charger) and universal adapter plug. info detail : http://www.buy-laptop-battery.org ...

HP Laptop Won't Boot DR-DOS (Was: "Partitioning Issue")
Hello, Again. Now that my laptop has the three partitions and each has been formatted, I wanted to load DR-DOS before I install Linux in the remaining space. However, the HP laptop will not let me boot from a DR-DOS floppy. The floppy boots fine on another laptop; after booting from an MS-DOS or WIN 98 boot media, the HP floppy drive can read the files on any floppy including the DR-DOS boot disc, so the drive works. It appears that the laptop has an aversion to non-MS products. Has anyone run into this before? The laptop specs again are: HP Compaq NC8000 ...

Acer Laptop Doesn't boot from Boot Cd
I have some problems with my Acer Travelmate 630, and I am trying to boot from some "Boot Cds" to fix it. For example "Ultimate boot CD" = ubcd.sourceforge.net. The problem is that some of the ones I've made doesn't work. How can I find out from another PC if it will boot? Does the CD have to be finalized? Some, for example Knoppix (Linux from CD) does work. My current issue problem is that I need a to do something like a DOS chdsk before I can partition the drive in Knoppix ( Another option is to put the drive in another PC) Thanks Olav olav_net@hotmail.com a �crit : > I have some problems with my Acer Travelmate 630, > and I am trying to boot from some "Boot Cds" to fix it. > For example "Ultimate boot CD" = ubcd.sourceforge.net. > > The problem is that some of the ones I've made doesn't work. > How can I find out from another PC if it will boot? > Does the CD have to be finalized? > > Some, for example Knoppix (Linux from CD) does work. > My current issue problem is that I need a to do something like a DOS > chdsk before > I can partition the drive in Knoppix ( Another option is to put the > drive in another PC) > > Thanks > Olav > Maybe a stupid question, but have you checked the Bios so that the CD drive has a higher boot-up priority than the hard drive ? -- Virez Saddam pour me r�pondre. Remove Saddam to reply. http://www.charles-de-gaulle.org http:...

Files won't display, directory won't delete, drive won't format
After having a few slow-access problems, I ran a virus scan (McAfee) on my D: drive (second HDD, 15Gb). To my surprise, the scan listed a directory and files which I didn't recognise: I didn't note any full pathnames, but a typical one was something like D:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21... Dd159.zip . I wondered if this was anything to do with the Recycle bin, despite the fact that I'd emptied it immediately before the scan. No viruses were detected, but when I ran an error check I got the message "the scan could not be completed". As a precaution I decided to ba...

Laptop works on battery, charges battery, but doesn't work on AC
Hi, I have a Compaq Presario R3000 1. Laptop runs on battery . 2. Laptop charges battery from mains when the laptop is off 3. When the battery is in and power lead connected, laptop starts but runs off battery (since charging light on battery doesn't light up and I know it is not at 100%). 4. When battery is out and power lead connected, laptop starts and then stops after few seconds, before XP begins loading. Can this be resolved? -- --------------------------------------------- The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, privileged and/or private material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer or electronic storage media; as well as destroying any physical copies. Brenda Love wrote: > Hi, > > I have a Compaq Presario R3000 > > 1. Laptop runs on battery . > 2. Laptop charges battery from mains when the laptop is off > 3. When the battery is in and power lead connected, laptop starts but > runs off battery (since charging light on battery doesn't light up and I > know it is not at 100%). > 4. When battery is out and power lead connected, laptop starts and then > stops after few seconds, before XP...

Is there such a thing as an external battery charger for the 17" laptop battery, the way there was for the G4 Titanium laptop's one?
I had a Titanium powerbook, and one of the very useful accessories was an external bettery charger - two of the square batteries could be put in there and it charged them from a wall outlet. Best of all, it used exactly the same power cable as the mac itself. Now, I've got a 17" powerbook, and the battery is different (also square, but bigger). I can't find an external charger anywhere; is there such a thing anywhere? I'd like to charge one battery while using another one, and then swap 'em etc. -- Mike Levin mlevin77@comcast.net In <BC370353.92FD%ml...

Web resources about - Toshiba Laptop Won't Boot with any New Battery - comp.sys.laptops