Toshiba Satellite 2410-S185 / PS241U-851457 is NOT USB 2.0 as advertised. It is only USB 1.1

I purchased a Toshiba laptop 2410-S185 from CDW almost a year ago

The system specs claimed to support USB 2.0.
This didn�t seem to be the case when I tried to get it working.

I eventually looked up the Intel Chipset at Intel�s website and found
it DOES NOT support 2.0 (Intel Chipset 82801CA)

I spent 4 hours on the phone with Toshiba before I was upgraded to a
lvel two tech and convinced them of the problem.

They told me �Thank you for letting us know the error in our
documentation, I�ll have someone fix that for you�

Of course there is NO WAY they�re going to get off the hook that easy.

I can�t imagine how many of these they sold with such a major mistake.

I have a feeling they�re just going to send me a usb2.0 pccard
adapter.  They BETTER do at least that much.

I'd say it qualifies for a class action law suit.
Not that I myself have the energy or motivation to take it that far.
usenet@net-express.com.remove

On Mon, 03 May 2004 21:15:19 -0500, Bastian <usenet@net-express.com>
wrote:

>I purchased a Toshiba laptop 2410-S185 from CDW almost a year ago
>
>The system specs claimed to support USB 2.0.
>This didn�t seem to be the case when I tried to get it working.
>
>I eventually looked up the Intel Chipset at Intel�s website and found
>it DOES NOT support 2.0 (Intel Chipset 82801CA)
>
>I spent 4 hours on the phone with Toshiba before I was upgraded to a
>lvel two tech and convinced them of the problem.
>
>They told me �Thank you for letting us know the error in our
>documentation, I�ll have someone fix that for you�
>
>Of course there is NO WAY they�re going to get off the hook that easy.
>
>I can�t imagine how many of these they sold with such a major mistake.
>
>I have a feeling they�re just going to send me a usb2.0 pccard
>adapter.  They BETTER do at least that much.
>
>I'd say it qualifies for a class action law suit.
>Not that I myself have the energy or motivation to take it that far.
>usenet@net-express.com.remove

Level 3 tech support finally got back to me and he confirmed it.  The
laptop is USB 1.1, not 2.0 as advertised.

He sent me to customer service and the teir-3 customer service told me
I have to take it up with CDW (who I bought it from) and they could
use their channels to RMA it to Toshiba.

I'm waiting to hear back from a tier-2 person at CDW now.
On Wed, 05 May 2004 00:10:57 -0500, Bastian <usenet@net-express.com> wrote:

:>On Mon, 03 May 2004 21:15:19 -0500, Bastian <usenet@net-express.com>
:>wrote:
:>
:>>I purchased a Toshiba laptop 2410-S185 from CDW almost a year ago
:>>
[...]

Good luck.  Just out of curiosity did you read the following at the bottom
of the spec page on Toshiba's website?

*******************
Toshiba America Information Systems Inc. ("TAIS") shall not be liable for
damages of any kind for use of this information, which is subject to change
without notice. Copyright 2002 TAIS portables_satellite_2410S185.doc
*******************

Now if CDW also advertised it as USB 2.0 I'll bet they have a similar
disclaimer somewhere they'll be happy to point out to you.

As I said above, good luck, at let us know how it all comes out.

Null
0
Null
5/5/2004 8:05:25 PM
On Wed, 05 May 2004 20:05:25 GMT, Null <null@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>On Wed, 05 May 2004 00:10:57 -0500, Bastian <usenet@net-express.com> wrote:
>
>:>On Mon, 03 May 2004 21:15:19 -0500, Bastian <usenet@net-express.com>
>:>wrote:
>:>
>:>>I purchased a Toshiba laptop 2410-S185 from CDW almost a year ago
>:>>
>:>>The system specs claimed to support USB 2.0.
>:>>This didn�t seem to be the case when I tried to get it working.
>:>>
>:>>I eventually looked up the Intel Chipset at Intel�s website and found
>:>>it DOES NOT support 2.0 (Intel Chipset 82801CA)
>:>>
>:>>I spent 4 hours on the phone with Toshiba before I was upgraded to a
>:>>lvel two tech and convinced them of the problem.
>:>>
>:>>They told me �Thank you for letting us know the error in our
>:>>documentation, I�ll have someone fix that for you�
>:>>
>:>>Of course there is NO WAY they�re going to get off the hook that easy.
>:>>
>:>>I can�t imagine how many of these they sold with such a major mistake.
>:>>
>:>>I have a feeling they�re just going to send me a usb2.0 pccard
>:>>adapter.  They BETTER do at least that much.
>:>>
>:>>I'd say it qualifies for a class action law suit.
>:>>Not that I myself have the energy or motivation to take it that far.
>:>>usenet@net-express.com.remove
>:>>
>:>
>:>Level 3 tech support finally got back to me and he confirmed it.  The
>:>laptop is USB 1.1, not 2.0 as advertised.
>:>
>:>He sent me to customer service and the teir-3 customer service told me
>:>I have to take it up with CDW (who I bought it from) and they could
>:>use their channels to RMA it to Toshiba.
>:>
>:>I'm waiting to hear back from a tier-2 person at CDW now.
>
>Good luck.  Just out of curiosity did you read the following at the bottom
>of the spec page on Toshiba's website?
>
>*******************
>Toshiba America Information Systems Inc. ("TAIS") shall not be liable for
>damages of any kind for use of this information, which is subject to change
>without notice. Copyright 2002 TAIS portables_satellite_2410S185.doc
>*******************
>
>Now if CDW also advertised it as USB 2.0 I'll bet they have a similar
>disclaimer somewhere they'll be happy to point out to you.
>
>As I said above, good luck, at let us know how it all comes out.
>
>Null

The tech I spoke to mentioned the TAIS, however this is no small
mistake.  It's not the documentation in this case that was changed to
something new - they believed they were selling me a particular
product.  It's like finding out that turbo you paid for in your car
wasnt really ever there and them saying they're not responsible for
what marketing puts on the window sticker.  I dont think they would
get away with that in this case.  "Not responsible for lying about
what you're buying"
Hey Bastian, what state do you live in? Advertising law varies a lot
from state to state.
0
adpatrol (3)
5/7/2004 8:46:11 AM
Minnesota

On 7 May 2004 01:46:11 -0700, adpatrol@aol.com (LAWBOYZ) wrote:

>Hey Bastian, what state do you live in? Advertising law varies a lot
>from state to state.

USB 2.0 printers and USB 1.0/1.1 computers
I need a new printer, being fed up with the POS Epson 740 I have now. I was considering an HP LaserJet 1012, but noticed it has a USB 2.0 port only. I've got a Rev B iMac with USB 1.0 or maybe (but I doubt it) USB 1.1. I've searched the 'net to no avail as to whether 2.0 peripherals are backwards-compatible to older USB computers. Since you all are a well-informed bunch, I figured someone here would know. Thanks! > I've searched the 'net to no avail as to whether 2.0 >peripherals are backwards-compatible to older USB computers. Since >you all are a well-infor...

laptop usb 1.1 + scanner usb 2.0 + modem ADSL = ?????!!!!!*****
I have a laptop with a single USB 1.1 port. My new scanner (Epson 3170 usb 2.0) works fine with it and so does my ADSL modem but both can't work together. I have tried to make them "cooperate" with a Sitecom Usb pocket hub which needs an external power adapter and of course it doesn't work without it; do you think it would work if I had one? Or is there any other possibility (Pcmcia/usb card for example)? Thank you for your future wise advice. Good chance powered hub will work, but not guaranteed. Is your modem USB only? If ethernet also, as one more option, y...

USB 1.1 and USB 2.0
Dear all, Could I use a win32 function to get the USB port is suport USB 1.1 or USB 2.0? I want to write a program to access the USB devices and show them is in the USB 1.1 or USB 2.0. Could everyone help me to find the function call? Or where I can find any relative information? Thanks. ---Ted Hi, Well, removable ms-dos devices such as USBs can be accessed through the \\\\.\\PhysicalDrive#. Call the API QueryDosDevice(), and get a list of all existing MS-DOS device names. You can also use the function DefineDosDevice() to define the device name as well. That said, whe...

Generic USB 2.0 hub showing up as USB 1.1
I have two generic 4-port USB hubs that are supposed to be USB 2.0 compliant. The older one is fine, works as advertised. Meanwhile the newer one sometimes shows up under the USB 2.0 root hub (i.e. "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller"), or usually it shows up under the slower "Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller" (USB 1.1). My motherboard (Asus M2NPV-VM) USB ports are all USB 2.0 compliant, and they individually auto-detect whether they need to switch down to USB 1.1 speeds. I'm using a Microsoft tool called UVCView under Windows XP to display the det...

move ZFS mountpoint from USB 1.1 to USB 2.0 port
I created a mountpoint called /tdusb1 on a USB 1.1 port conncted to a 1TB LaCie hard drive. I discoverd that our system has a USB 2.0 port and want to move the logical mountpoint to a new physical USB port. How do I do it? Actually, I will need to do the same sort of thing from one Solaris 10 system to another in the future. I don't care about plug-and-play and hot swappable as long as I can read the same drive from different Sun systems. I assume that there are ZFS related commands for doing this but don't want to experiment too much as the USB hard drive already has valuable stuff ...

Compatibilit� USB 2.0 et USB 1.1 avec W2K ?
Bonjour Je rencontre un PB avec l'une de mes cl�s USB qui est USB 2.0 et qui bug lorsque je la connacte sur un hub USB 1.1 : je la "vois" sur le PC mais je ne peux y transf�rer quoique ce soit, malgr� l'installation des drivers sp�cifiques. Ayant constat� qu'avec XP, chaque fois que l'on connecte un p�riph�rique USB 2.0 sur un port 1.1 XP signale qu'il peux y avoir des porbl�mes, je vous drais savoir si cela existe aussi avec W2K. Merci d'avance Sorry Pegasus Mail is NOT USB 1.x or 2.0 compliant. Dave ;-) <John.Viel@caramail.rem...

problem related to backward compatibility of usb 2.0 -> usb 1.1?
Hi, I've recently bought an external harddrive (Q - tec). It's great stuff. The hdd combines lot's of storage space and small dimensions with adequate speed because it runs on usb 2.0. Just plug it in and do whatever you feel like doing. Needless to say, I've grown attached to it. Then bad things started to happen. One night, my PC got fragged (cooked MCU on motherboard). As a result, I was forced to use my dad's computer in order to finish my work for school. It didn't have any usb 2.0 slots, so I had to make due with usb 1.1. I plugged it in, started Wi...

How to detect if an USB Flash Stick/other device supports USB 2.0 (or only 1.1) ?
Is there a way or tool which allows me to detect if a (currently plugged in) USB Stick resp other device (e.g.scanner) supports the USB version 2.0 or only USB 1.1 ? Tom ...

USB 1.0 or 1.1??
Howdy! Googled this as much as I could, but no luck. I have a reasonably old Toshiba Satellite 4030CDT notebook. I'd like to know what kind of USB port it has. The "revision" I think it's called. You know 1.0, 1.1 or 2.0. I'm sure it's not 2.0 but I'd like to know if it's 1.1 or 1.0. Does anybody know of a way to tell what revision a USB port is? Or if not, does anyone know what revision is on a Toshiba 4030CDT? Penno "penno" schrieb > I have a reasonably old Toshiba Satellite 4030CDT notebook. I'd like > to know what...

New Printer with USB 2.0 - Old PC with USB 1.1 Ports
I am FINALLY getting around to getting a new printer - but I have a 4 year old laptop that has two USB 1.1 ports. Will a new printer with a USB 2.0 connection work with my laptop? I heard it will - but will be slower than designed to be. I am planning on getting another HP OfficeJet (my old one lasted 7 years!!!!). Also, can I use a regular USB 1.1 cable? Is there a difference between USB cables (2.0 different than 1.1?). Thanks! Paula On 31 Jul 2006 17:25:13 -0700, pokee@shaw.ca wrote: >I am FINALLY getting around to getting a new printer - but I have a 4 >year o...

LaTex equation numbering like 2.1, 2.2, also 2.0.1, 2.0,2, 2.1.1, etc
David Roach wrote: > Is there a simple command to have latex number > the equations by the section numbers automatically. > > David From the LaTeX Companion (what a wonderful book!) %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% % number equations within sections % In preamble \makeatletter \@addtoreset{equation}{section} \makeatother \renewcommand{\theequation}{\thesection.\arabic{equation}} %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% Numbers within sections...I use this all the time in articles. Even works with ******************* ******************* Brilliant. And then I got numbering within subsections by repeating and editing (not replacing), so I now have:- (Just after the documentClass command) \makeatletter \@addtoreset{equation}{section} \makeatother \renewcommand{\theequation}{\thesection.\arabic{equation}} \makeatletter \@addtoreset{equation}{subsection} \makeatother \renewcommand{\theequation}{\thesubsection.\arabic{equation}} Bob Bob Marlow schrieb: > David Roach wrote: > >> Is there a simple command to have latex number >> the equations by the section numbers automatically. >> >> David > > From the LaTeX Companion (what a wonderful book!) > > %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% > > % number equations within sections > % In preamble > > \makeatletter > \@addtoreset{equation}{section} > \makeatother > \renewcommand{\theequation}{\thesection.\arabic{equation}} > > %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% [more code] > Hi! I th...

HP PSC1210 USB 1.1 or USB 2?
Hi all, is this printer USB 1.1 or USB 2?? Everywhere I go to find this out, it only tells me its USB Which doesnt tell me a hell of a lot lol. Any info appreciated Cheers From the truly sketchy information on the HP web site, I would have to guess that the PSC1210 supports USB 1.1 and takes advantage of the higher throughput of USB 2.0. HP supports the product (drivers, etc) running with Windows 98, which, for all intents and purposes, knows nothing about USB 2.0... Ben Myers On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 18:19:08 +1300, "Paul" <goneouttolunch@home.com> wrote: >Hi all, is this printer USB 1.1 or USB 2?? > >Everywhere I go to find this out, it only tells me its USB > >Which doesnt tell me a hell of a lot lol. > >Any info appreciated > >Cheers > > Ta Ben. I finally got a tech online to chat with. And yup he said its definitely 1.1 and USB2. So, it'll make use of USB2 if u have USB 2 ports and a USB2 cable. <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message news:41efbc8a.5083615@nntp.charter.net... > From the truly sketchy information on the HP web site, I would have to > guess > that the PSC1210 supports USB 1.1 and takes advantage of the higher > throughput > of USB 2.0. HP supports the product (drivers, etc) running with Windows > 98, > which, for all intents and purposes, knows nothing about USB 2.0... Ben > Myers > > On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 18:19:08 +1300, "P...

how can you tell if you have usb 1.1 or usb 2
How can you tell from windows 2000 if you have a usb1.1 or usb2.0 connector? "Laura" <handl@mts.net> wrote in message news:e0ddcf8.0407291201.1dc73116@posting.google.com... > > How can you tell from windows 2000 if you have a > usb1.1 or usb2.0 connector? Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager. Then right click on the USB hub(s) and click Properties. Another way is to plug in a known USB 2.0 device into the port. The system will pop a warning if the port is USB 1.1. dk "Laura" > How can you tell from windows 2000 if you have a usb1.1 or usb2.0 connector? plug something into it that runs on USB 2.0. You'll get an error message. Pat Laura wrote: > How can you tell from windows 2000 if you have a usb1.1 or usb2.0 > connector? Connectors for USB are the same for USB 1.1 or 2. Win2K does not support USB2 unless an MS patch is applied http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319973 The link will answer your question. Even with the patch, it is up to the vendor to supply a Win2K compatible driver for USB2. Check that the USB device is in fact compatible. Q ...

USB 2.0 vs USB 1.0 on PB G4
This PB G4 is about 18 months old. The USB port was a 1.0 port. I'm running Panther. Can I buy a scanner with a 2.0 interface and use it on my USB 1.0 port? Will it just be slower? Thanks Bruce >Can I buy a scanner with a 2.0 interface and use it on my USB 1.0 port? Yes. >Will it just be slower? Yes. -- Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more: http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html Bruce Jenkins <bruceNoSpamjenkins@comcast.net> wrote: > This PB G4 is about 18 months old. The USB port was a 1.0 port. > I'm running Panther. > Can I buy a s...

Change laptop USB 1 to USB 2
Hi, I wish to change my laptop with a USB 1 to USB2. It does have a free mini PCI slot inside and I have been told that one can upgrade to usb2 by putting a usb pci card in. It does NOT have a PMCIA slot. Any help here please. It is a non brand with the number N34AS1. I believe it is a Clevo, Highlander or one of the many brands these came out as. It is 2.4 CPU with 1MB ram and 20 GB hard drive. Thanks for any help. rock ...

Upgrade laptop USB 1 to USB 2
Hi, I wish to change my laptop with a USB 1 to USB2. It does have a free mini PCI slot inside and I have been told that one can upgrade to usb2 by putting a usb pci card in. It does NOT have a PMCIA slot. Any help here please. It is a non brand with the number N34AS1. I believe it is a Clevo, Highlander or one of the many brands these came out as. It is 2.4 CPU with 1MB ram and 20 GB hard drive. Thanks for any help. rock In news:477d8500$0$32673$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au, Rock typed on Fri, 04 Jan 2008 11:57:43 +1100: > Hi, > > I wish to change my laptop with a USB 1 to USB2. > > It does have a free mini PCI slot inside and I have been told that > one can upgrade to usb2 by putting a usb pci card in. It does NOT > have a PMCIA slot. > Any help here please. > > It is a non brand with the number N34AS1. I believe it is a Clevo, > Highlander or one of the many brands these came out as. > > It is 2.4 CPU with 1MB ram and 20 GB hard drive. > > Thanks for any help. > > > rock Wow, you are kidding, right? Something with 2.4GHZ with 1GB.... whoa wait! 1MB of RAM? You mean 1GB right? With a 1MB, that would be like a 286 or a 386 (and some 486) machines made over 15 years ago. Oh with a 20GB HD... well that would put it about when the change over from USB1 to USB2 had taken place (2000-2002 era). No PCMCIA slot you say? Btw, a lot of people call them PC Card slots nowadays. I personally don't go for the i...

USB 1.1/2.0 Implementation
Hi All Has anyone successfully implemented USB 2.0 or USB 1.1 protocol in Altera Device. If yes, can you pls start me off. I'm not able to make any progress in this. I have found couple of sites in ths area, but always end towards a brick wall. Help Pls Cheerio "SneakerNet" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message news:<fIObb.156268$JA5.3828849@news.xtra.co.nz>... > Hi All > > Has anyone successfully implemented USB 2.0 or USB 1.1 protocol in Altera > Device. If yes, can you pls start me off. I'm not able to make any progress > in this. I have fo...

usb 1.1 to 2.0 card?
I have a 3-4 year old Intel El Paso motherboard w/82845 chipset. It has 2 front mounted USB 1.1 ports. I traced the cable to the connector on the motherboard and it's easily accessible. My question: Is there a USB 2.0 PCI card out there that has an internal connector compatible with the motherboard connector? The idea being that I could just unplug the cable from the motherboard and plug it into my shiny new 2.0 card and have front accessible USB 2.0 ports. ? TIA </joel> On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 02:11:37 GMT, "Joel" <joelycat@hotmail.com> wrote: >I have a ...

USB Ports ... 1.1 and 2.0
The old iMACs (The blue ones, just a screen no box) has 2 USB 1.1 ports... Can a printer with USB 2.0 be connected to the USB 1.1 port? No special cables or adaptors? http://lowendmac.com/imacs/imac.shtml In article <1182049257.788291.257950@o11g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, SpreadTooThin <bjobrien62@gmail.com> wrote: > The old iMACs (The blue ones, just a screen no box) has 2 USB 1.1 > ports... > Can a printer with USB 2.0 be connected to the USB 1.1 port? > No special cables or adaptors? > > http://lowendmac.com/imacs/imac.shtml Yes, it just won't run as...

USB 2.0 vs 1.1
Will a 2.0 device run at hi-speed through a 1.1 hub? Do you need to use only 2.0 hubs for 2.0 devices? Thanks.. billschroder@yahoo.com (Bill Schroder) wrote in message news:<81b8db76.0404050549.3c400cae@posting.google.com>... > Will a 2.0 device run at hi-speed through a 1.1 hub? No. That's assuming that you are referring (by "run at hi-speed") to the data transfer rate. Hi-speed refers to the (theoretical max) 480mbps rate for USB 2.0 data transfers. > Do you need to use only 2.0 hubs for 2.0 devices? Not necessarily. USB 2.0 is backwards compatible. Plug a US...

[ANN] gettext-2.0.1, gettext_activerecord-2.0.1, gettext_rails-2.0.1
Hi, Ruby-GetText-Package-2.0.1 and the families (gettext-2.0.1, gettext_activerecord-2.0.1 and gettext_rails-2.0.1) are now available. Ruby-GetText-Package is the library/tools for message localization. * gettext - Message localization libraries and tools for all kind of apps/libs. * gettext_activerecord - ActiveRecord Localization * gettext_rails - Rails support with gettext. Changes ------- * gettext-2.0.1 * Fixed bugs * doesn't work with ruby-1.8.5. [Reported by Dan Coutu] * GetText.locale= can't keep the locale. [Reported by Adam Ilan] * Break backward c...

usb error on external disc ?? hub 1-0:1.0:Cannot enable port 2
Hi, I want connext an external drive STOREX FHD-353 on my Linux 2.6.9-34 WhiteBox I have following error message "hub 1-0:1.0:Cannot enable port 2. Maybe the USB cable is bad. " Do you have an idea ? Regards Philippe My computer is an K7AMD, with motherboard Micro star 6167 . I think computer could onlly work un USB1.0 not USB 2.0. External Hard drive is running before with another PC that use XP .. ...

USB 1.1 and 2.0 controllers in same PC?
I have a 3-month-old HP Pavilion a450n desktop computer running Windows XP SP1. I am curious about the USB controllers reported in Device Manager. I see 5 controllers, which appear like this: Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE Intel(R) 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD Can this be right? Do I really have 4 USB 1.1 controllers and only one USB 2.0 controller? If, as I suspect, this doesn't make sense, is my computer somehow misconfigured? (Also, what do the hex numbers shown in the above list refer to?) Thanks, - Bob ...

Web resources about - Toshiba Satellite 2410-S185 / PS241U-851457 is NOT USB 2.0 as advertised. It is only USB 1.1 - comp.sys.laptops