Windows System Error - A duplicate name exists on the network

I found this out the hard way.

When you see this WinXP error message:
 * Windows System Error - A duplicate name exists on the network.

If you indeed have two computers with the same computer name,
then the solution should be obvious.

But, if you don't have two computers with the same computer name,
then, read the Microsoft knowledge base (KB) 822659 article:
 * <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822659>

Which says, in part:
 * This problem may be caused by a NetBIOS name conflict
 * between the workstation and either another workstation
 * with the same NetBIOS name, or a workgroup or domain
 * with the same NetBIOS name as the workstation.

The non-obvious solution in my two-computer home network:
 * Ensure no computer names match any workgroup names!

Susan Sifton

0
shiftonica (10)

WIndows System Error
My Home based LAN - 2 PC's Win 2K O/S ; 2 UNIX Boxes - FreeBSD 4.x ; 1 Laptop Win 2K ; and a Mac connected to a hub but off. On booting one of the PC's it comes up with a Dialog box msg: WIndows System Error - A Duplicate Name on the Network Have not been able to find a duplicate 'as such'. Seeking for advise & direction Thanks Pl. reply to POST On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 07:21:08 -0700, Adam Smith <adamsmith@econ.com> wrote: >My Home based LAN - 2 PC's Win 2K O/S ; 2 UNIX Boxes - FreeBSD 4.x ; 1 >Laptop Win 2K ; and a Mac connected t...

Duplicate Name exists on the Network
I have recently upgraded my laptop to TCPIP 4.1. I also run LanServer (WarpServer). Everything is up to WR08621/UN2001 levels. Everything works except I cannot now get the server to start because of the title error. Even 'net start req' produces the error but a logon overrides that and the requester starts.. Most interesting, I even get the error when the laptop is NOT connected to the network. The error is misleading as there is no actual duplicate, but something different is going on. Error SYS0052 is "A duplicate name exists on the network". The help implies that the computer has been given a name which duplicates another machine on the network. A google search provides no help for this. Changing the 'computername=whatever' in ibmlan.ini does not help. Removing 'set hostname', 'set user' and 'set host' in config.sys does not help. Even removing the hostname and local domain in the Hosts tab of the tcpip notebook does not help. There must be a conflict between some pieces of info stored away somewhere, but I am unable to find where. Or why Any ideas, anyone? Geoff Sir: R. G. Newbury wrote: > I have recently upgraded my laptop to TCPIP 4.1. I also run LanServer > (WarpServer). Everything is up to WR08621/UN2001 levels. > > Everything works except I cannot now get the server to start because > of the title error. Even 'net start req' produces the error but a > logon overrides...

error 868 x11 window system error ...
when i install reflection x the system come out this error (error 868 x11 window system error ...)can i know wat is this error and how to solve it ?? ...

Starting a service from a windows network drive gives me an error "The system cannot find the path specified."
Hi, I have a service in a mapped network folder in Win 2003 server. While I am starting this service I am getting "The system cannot find the path specified" error message. Can't we run a service which is present in a network folder? Kindly let me know if there is any way that I can start the service present in a mapped network folder. Thanks Mappings are user specific - and you don't have any (sane) way of setting them for the SYSTEM session. You could try specifying a UNC path instead, but then you are still likely to run into permissions issues. In g...

Starting a service from a windows network drive gives me an error "The system cannot find the path specified."
Hi, I have a service in a mapped network folder in Win 2003 server. While I am starting this service I am getting "The system cannot find the path specified" error message. Can't we run a service which is present in a network folder? Kindly let me know if there is any way that I can start the service present in a mapped network folder. Thanks Mappings are user specific - and you don't have any (sane) way of setting them for the SYSTEM session. You could try specifying a UNC path instead, but then you are still likely to run into permissions issues. In g...

Translating Ethereal Adapter Names to Windows System Names
Etherneal 0.99 under Windows uses very strange obfuscated names for each network adapter port. Apparently the long alphanumeric string identifier to identify unique port instances of each card type is not a Mac address. How does a Windows user translate these Ethereal port names into the names that Windows uses in Network Connections? -- Will Will wrote: > Etherneal 0.99 under Windows uses very strange obfuscated names for each > network adapter port. Apparently the long alphanumeric string identifier > to identify unique port instances of each card type is not...

window class name and window name
Hi, Is there any free utility available on net which can show the the window name and window class name if the mouse cursor is put on a perticular window. Thanks, Vijay. ...

Using dynamic variable as window name and detecting if window exists
I am trying to create popup windows with dynamic variable names and then see if they exist or not. For example, if I call the function like so openWin("2600","2000") I would like the function to create a window called "win26002000". I have tried the following code (and many other variations) but I cannot get it to work function openWin(senderID, recipientID) { //Create the window if it does not exist or it has been closed if (typeof "win" + senderID + recipientID=="undefined" || "win" + senderID + recipientID.closed) ...

Get users network login name when different from the windows local login name
Hi everyone, I want to get the users login name, and currently use a number of functions, one of which is based on this one: http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0008.htm However, it doesn't work properly on a network. If the user logs into the network as joe, and then in the local windows PC as Administrator, then that function will bring back Administrator. I have functionality in some applications that is only available to the network admin, but if a user can use a local user account on their own machine called admin, then that function will think they are the network administrator. I ...

Duplicate name on network
I get a 'duplicate name on network' error when starting the requester. Is this necessarily because the COMPUTERNAME in IBMLAN.INI is inappropriate? The computer in question has already been booted up from the network via RIPL so it's name will already be registered on the network. How do I fix this? Sir: jp wrote: > I get a 'duplicate name on network' error when starting the requester. > > Is this necessarily because the COMPUTERNAME in IBMLAN.INI is > inappropriate? > > The computer in question has already been booted up from the network via > RIPL so it's name will already be registered on the network. > > How do I fix this? Yes, Pick a different COMPUTERNAME value in the IBMLAN.INI file. -- Bill Thanks a Million! On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 08:56:17 +0100, jp <jp@home.com> wrote: > I get a 'duplicate name on network' error when starting the requester. > > Is this necessarily because the COMPUTERNAME in IBMLAN.INI is inappropriate? Probably. I don't know anything about RIPL but shutting down whatever was runup would seem to be a good idea, if that is possible. > The computer in question has already been booted up from the network via > RIPL so it's name will already be registered on the network. Names don't get registered on the network as such. They are registered on the machine in question which then transmits name claim messages and listens to see if it gets any object...

Re: proving NAME ERROR (was: Re: [dns-operations] NXDOMAIN vs NODATA for suffixes of existing name)
I'm going to respond to this email before reading all of it - as a thought exercise. At 17:57 +0200 4/18/06, Roy Arends wrote: >During the NSEC3 pre-workshop, we determined that the content of NSEC3's >when using the identity hash (effectively no hashing at all) are >essentially the same as NSEC. And thus the method (proving absence) used >for NSEC3 must work on NSEC as well. It does work, and I'll try to >describe here how. Off the cuff, I don't think that's a valid assertion. The reason is that NSEC deals with identities in tree-space, NSE...

newbie question -- error when connecting via System DSN on any network but the SQL Server's local network
I'm very new to using SQL Server. All I'm trying to do at the moment, is create a System DSN on a Windows 2000 Professional desktop machine to connect to a SQL Server 2000 server which is running on a different network. When I try the DSN while connected to the SAME network that the SQL Server machine is on, it works fine. But when I connect from any other network, I receive the following error: Connection failed: SQLState: '01000' SQL Server Error: 10061 [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]ConnectionOpent (Connect()). Connection failed: SQLState: ...

[Info-vax] $ PIPE error
[Log fragment, edited a bit. The first set of process quotas are from the failing process log, and the second set of process quotas are from a successful process log "<OTHER>". Except for PGFLQUOTA, they are the same. This is a spontaneous failure after a crash/reboot not involving this code. The PIPE statement refused to execute, giving a DCL activation error. I have removed the PIPE statement and things work fine. What Quota is the problem, or how can I find out. $ SHOW PROCESS/QUOTA ! <--REMOVE 6-FEB-2009 12:16:11.77 User: LBLDSP_CM Process ID: 20A...

Is it possible to use the Windows 2003 user names instead of pre-Windows 2000 user names in Windows Authentication?
Hello, I am trying to get username information by using User.Identity.Name.ToString, if i logged in with username to given network place, it is ok! It returns SERVERNAME/username. Otherwise if I logged in with "name.surname@SERVERNAME.com" it again returns SERVERNAME/username although i want it to return "name.surname". I changed the IIS server settings, checked digest authentication and tried the other things, too. But makes no difference. It is said to originated from Kerberos Authentication... If anyone can help me I will be appreciated. Thanks for now, MK IIS must be making the translation internally from the UPN to the sAMAccountName. It's not hard to get the UPN given the WindowsIdentity object that you have at hand, and relying on the UPN for the user's true name is bad programming practice IMHO. My recommendation is to search AD for that user's object in the directory and retrieve the first and last name properties or whatever else you need in your code. -- Thanks, Brian Desmond Windows Server MVP - Directory Services www.briandesmond.com "MaURiCe" <mkastro@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1157462878.505088.151490@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... > Hello, > I am trying to get username information by using > User.Identity.Name.ToString, if i logged in with username to given > network place, it is ok! It returns SERVERNAME/username. > Otherwise if I logged in with "name.surname@SERVERNAME.c...

Windows is named Windows : But Why?
http://thehmccompany.com/2015/06/19/windows-is-named-windows-but-why/ Quoting from the URL above: The following was taken from a Microsoft corporate blog designed to document the history of Microsoft. When I joined Microsoft as Vice President of Corporate Communications, I came from the cosmetics / skin care industry where perception (branding) was far more important than reality. The branding strategy for Microsoft Corporation & the specific names for the products (which was part of the company branding strategy) came from the original branding strategy ...

Windows laptop and network connections
Hi gang My (work) laptop runs Windows 2000. (No choice, so no flaming!) Is there a method in which I can unplug an ethernet LAN cable, move to another desk, plug back in (to another cable of course), and have the computer automatically reconnect to the LAN? Our support says the only way is to reboot. It wouldn't surprise me if that is the only solution, but perhaps you know something they dont (and I certainly dont)? Thanks JS "John Smith" <bill.gates@microsoft.com> wrote in news:d3ghb5$rn8$1@newstree.wise.edt.ericsson.se: > Hi gang > > My (work) laptop runs Windows 2000. (No choice, so no flaming!) > > Is there a method in which I can unplug an ethernet LAN cable, move to > another desk, plug back in (to another cable of course), and have the > computer automatically reconnect to the LAN? Our support says the only > way is to reboot. It wouldn't surprise me if that is the only > solution, but perhaps you know something they dont (and I certainly > dont)? a reboot should not be necessary - isn't it equivalent to unplugging the cable and replugging it in at your own desk? or are IP's assigned to each desk? even if they are, this program is a lifesaver to anyone changing networks often: http://www.mobilenetswitch.com/ that program will let you change DNS, network name, IP (DHCP or manual), shared drives, shared resources, etc. between as many networks as you like without requiring a reboot. 30-d...

Duplicate directory name error
Hi, For a few days matlab crashes when compiling my programs, there is a problem that I can not solve. The message displayed is the following: Warning: Duplicate directory name: C: \ Users \ imen \ Documents \ MATLAB. (imen is the user name, knowing that I have windows7 and matlab version is 7.4). Normally after the installation we found two files that we cannot delete named MATLAB : one in program files, the other in my documents. I uninstalled and reinstalled but the problem persists. Does anyone have a solution? "ambrosia nightwish" <mess_imen@yahoo.fr> wrote in messa...

windows over a network file system
Hello, Is it possible to "mount" parts of the windows (xp) file system to a network share : e.g. mount c:\windows or c:\Documents and settings to //myserver/windows ... Or idealy, does is it possible to mount the whole drive to a network drive (like nfsroot would do under unix) Thanks ...

Duplicate name error in IdeaSpace
Hi Andy and Blair, I regularly get a Duplicate Name error in the Idea Space when opening a new CHB. (regularly as in about once a day when using DX6 full-time). I typically have the Package Browser as the first tab in the IS and then select classes from there to open in a CHB. I think it only happens after I've closed a couple of CHB tabs in that IS, so it might loses track of which names have been used when generating a new tab name? Closing the error dialog and trying again 'solves' the problem. See below for an error log - not that much use as it doesn't ...

Networking a Windows Me PC and Vista Laptop?
I am trying to set up a network with a PC running Windows Me and a laptop running Vista. These are connected via a Netger router. Is this possible to do and if so how can it be achieved? Steve wrote: > I am trying to set up a network with a PC running Windows Me and a > laptop running Vista. These are connected via a Netger router. > > Is this possible to do and if so how can it be achieved? > Yes, certainly. Depends which way you want to link them - if you're file sharing, try this long but thorough reference: http://tinyurl.com/bgctp Watch out fo...

Error: Windows system resources exhausted
Hi, I have some 1000 models files which I want to print them on to PDF. I can not close them atleast before 100 gets printed. but when some 50+ models are opened I am getting the following error message. Error: Windows system resources exhausted -- Windows may crash! You can reclaim system resources by closing any open applications. Additionally, we recommend you save your data and restart MATLAB. For more information, please see "Known Software and Documentation Problems&#8221;. I know this is a known bug, but anyone has some turn around on this. Any he...

...received an X Window System error...
Hi, I wrote a app that gets the window id of the root window and then graps the button press events of the root window. This is an enhancement to a WM without a root menu. My app works well, but if I start it twice or with a WM which graps the button press event of the root window it crashes with this text: The program 'grootevent' received an X Window System error. This probably reflects a bug in the program. The error was 'BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)'. (Details: serial 44 error_code 10 request_code 2 minor_code 0) (Note to program...

windows system error code (-3)
Hello, I am running a batch script and the batch script contains the following command cmd /c abc.exe echo %ERRORLEVEL% The output is -3. The system error code on MSDN does not contain any negative error code. The codes start from 0. Can anybody please tell me the meaning of -3. Rgds, mandar ...

Firewalling existing Linux/Windows network
Hi, We have a small cluster of machines running on a network with other groups. We are currently firewalling ourselves with a Linux Bridge-Firewall between our group and the rest of the network, something like this world <-> Physics.subnet <-> Bridge-Firewall <-> CMP.subnet where Physics and CMP are on the same subnet (and no, we can't really change that otherwise it'd be a lot easier). We're currently having some problems and the hardware is old and skanky so I was thinking the easiest thing to do is get a little dedicated 'firewall' box to han...

Web resources about - Windows System Error - A duplicate name exists on the network - comp.sys.laptops

Duplicate bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Duplicate bridge is the most widely used variation of contract bridge in club and tournament play. It is called duplicate because the same bridge ...

Search for duplicate files - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Language: English Home Random Search for duplicate files Search for duplicate files based on hash values. 900 × 600 pixel File size: 377 B MIME ...

How to Duplicate Facebook’s Hacktober
... build and maintain a security-aware culture. Director of security operations Jennifer Henley shared tips for other companies looking to duplicate ...

Facebook adds new duplicate page finder tool for admins to report unofficial pages
Some Facebook page owners are seeing a new “Report Duplicates” module that allows them to search for pages related to their own and report those ...

faroo_p2p: FAROO Search now with robust Near Duplicate Detection. Filters scraped or syndicated content ...
faroo_p2p: FAROO Search now with robust Near Duplicate Detection. Filters scraped or syndicated content. http://t.

Smart Merge - Duplicate Contacts Cleanup for AddressBook Gmail Facebook & Google contacts on the App ...
Read reviews, compare customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about Smart Merge - Duplicate Contacts Cleanup for AddressBook Gmail ...

Liberals to duplicate Cotter Road in $25 million plan
Duplication would close a &quot;missing link&quot; through a new 1.7 kilometre upgrade.

How-To: Safely shrink your Mac’s giant photo library, deleting duplicate images to save space
... Apple’s new Photos app , you might be surprised to learn that you’ve lost a lot of hard drive space, and that there are suddenly tons of duplicate ...

How to Fix Duplicate Content and Improve Your SEO
How to Fix Duplicate Content and Improve Your SEO Business 2 Community In 2013, Matt Cutts stated that 25% of the web was duplicate content, ...