'Here's the thing about Apple's "recent"�success.'

'It isn't recent.

The only thing that has changed are some numbers. Some big numbers:
largest company in the world, second most profitable company in the
world, most profitable retail stores in the world, best-selling smart
phone, second best-selling smart phone, best-selling tablet computer,
etc.

Other numbers have not changed: customer satisfaction, customer loyalty,
consumer ratings, etc.'

<http://granthuhn.wordpress.com/2011/09/23/heres-the-thing-about-apples-r
ecent-success/>

--
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone

"Alan Baker"  wrote in message

'It isn't recent.

The only thing that has changed are some numbers. Some big numbers:
largest company in the world, second most profitable company in the
world, most profitable retail stores in the world, best-selling smart
phone, second best-selling smart phone, best-selling tablet computer,
etc.

Other numbers have not changed: customer satisfaction, customer loyalty,
consumer ratings, etc.'

<http://granthuhn.wordpress.com/2011/09/23/heres-the-thing-about-apples-r
ecent-success/>

Yaaawwnnnn - and another broken link - oh well!

--
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone
"It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with
Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS
X)
'[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included
on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun)

0
Redjak

It's on-it's off-it's on, it's off -WHY?
IS THIS THE CORRECT FORUM? Hope so. We have three computer networked at home...all with Windows XP. one of those is a laptop. Some mornings all 3 can see each other and transfer files...then mysteriously one or more will disappear. No contact....then later it's back. The laptop is the worst. Most often it won't let us in...but sometimes it will. No obvious reason. The most INFURIATING part is the message "see your administrator". Dammit Bill Gates...don't you realize that most networks are small offices without a Majestic Royal Administrator sitting his i...

90's Game -- Spielberg's "Director's Chair"
This seems like a long shot (get it...long shot?) but is anybody reading this group familiar with a game called Steven Spielberg's Director's Chair from the mid-nineties? Actually, it's more of a movie- studio familiarizer than a game, per se, but it does have its strong points in terms of recreating a certain, Hollywood-y atmosphere. I'm curious because, when I run this program on a Windows 2000 box, I keep hitting an "Internal Error" during my first dip in The Lab. I can hear the first line of dialogue repeat about three times, then it shuts me down. Becau...

Steve Jobs

how to make ["a","b",["c","d"],"e"] into ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', 'e'] ?
--001a11c34e8edbc7c404f6a94bbe Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 >>> x=["a","b",["c","d"],"e"] >>> y=x[2] >>> y ['c', 'd'] >>> x.insert(2,y[0]) >>> x ['a', 'b', 'c', ['c', 'd'], 'e'] >>> x.insert(3,y[1]) >>> x ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', ['c', 'd'], 'e'] >>> del x[4] >>> x ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', &#...

Why doesn't Python's "robotparser" like Wikipedia's "robots.txt" file?
For some reason, Python's parser for "robots.txt" files doesn't like Wikipedia's "robots.txt" file: >>> import robotparser >>> url = 'http://wikipedia.org/robots.txt' >>> chk = robotparser.RobotFileParser() >>> chk.set_url(url) >>> chk.read() >>> testurl = 'http://wikipedia.org' >>> chk.can_fetch('Mozilla', testurl) False >>> The Wikipedia robots.txt file passes robots.txt validation, and it doesn't disallow unknown browsers. But the Python pars...

Needed "data processing magazine" also any of same topic are from 50's 60's 70's such as "Datamation", ACM conference proceedings, Early AFIPS, and others.
Needed "data processing magazine" also any of same topic are from 50's 60's 70's such as "Datamation", ACM conference proceedings, Early AFIPS, and others. Also have a requirement for any of the IRE - IEEE publications on early computing. Please advise All eras are fine prefer bound but... loose OK too. address is below. Thanks Ed Sharpe, Archivist for SMECC - - See the Museum's Web Site at www.smecc.org Southwest Museum of Engineering, Communications and Computation Coury House / SMECC Library 5802 W. Palmaire Ave. ...

Error? s = assignin('base','s',tf('s'));
Hi, I need a little help here. Could anyone please tell me what is wrong with this command? s = assignin('base','s',tf('s')); The matlab syntax is -- assignin(ws, 'var', val) Basically I just want to add s=tf('s') into the base workspace. Jack "Jack" <Jack@Jill.com> wrote in message news:ef3e449.-1@webcrossing.raydaftYaTP... > Hi, > I need a little help here. Could anyone please tell me what is wrong > with this command? > > s = assignin('base','s',tf('s')); > > The matlab syntax is -- assignin(ws, 'var', val) > Basically I just want to add s=tf('s') into the base workspace. What does the error message say? Something about too many output arguments, right? How many output arguments does the documentation for ASSIGNIN show that it should return? How many are you asking it to return? http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/assignin.html -- Steve Lord slord@mathworks.com ...

There's "Unix", and then there's "UNIX(r)"
From TOW[1]: The Open Group, an industry standards consortium, now owns the UNIX trademark and allows its use for certified operating systems compliant with its standard, the Single UNIX Specification. Other operating systems that emulate Unix to some extent may be called Unix-like, although the Open Group disapproves of this term.[4] The term Unix is also often used informally to denote any operating system that closely resembles the trademarked system. The most common version of Unix (bearing certification) is Apple's OS X, while Linux is the most popular non...

Why """, not '''?
Why is """ the preferred delimiter for multi-line strings? On Mar 5, 9:56 am, MartinRineh...@gmail.com wrote: > Why is """ the preferred delimiter for multi-line strings? Is it ? FWIW, I use single quotes whenever I can and double whenever I have to (i.e. rarely). George On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 06:56:24 -0800 (PST) MartinRinehart@gmail.com wrote: > Why is """ the preferred delimiter for multi-line strings? Where did you see that? The only place I saw it was the style guide and it was only talking about docstrings. Even there they used """ as an example but the text talked about using triple quotes as opposed to single quotes even when it is a single line docstring. I don't think that there is any preference for """ over ''' in general. Pick one for consistiency. Note however that """ can't be confused with " followed by ' as in "'A' is the first letter of the alphabet." -- D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net> | Democracy is three wolves http://www.druid.net/darcy/ | and a sheep voting on +1 416 425 1212 (DoD#0082) (eNTP) | what's for dinner. D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote: > Where did you see that? The only place I saw it was the style guide > and it was only talking about docstrings. PEP 8 and 257, and you're right, they are both about docstrings. Also, I'd never se...

key-restricted nsupdate of internal view's zone's host REFUSED with 'signer "<key>" denied' ?
I run named -v BIND 9.10.2 in split-horizon mode with two views view "internal" { view "external" { For a single zone MYDOMAIN.com I'm targeting two hostnames in the zone test.MYDOMAIN.com external.test.MYDOMAIN.com for dynamic updates. At any given time, the A records should return view=internal: dig A test.MYDOMAIN.com +short A.B.C.D dig A external.test.MYDOMAIN.com +short 10.1.1.14 view=external: dig A test.MYDOMAIN.com +short A.B.C.D dig A external.test.MYDOMAIN.com +short A...

What's with the "OK's?"
Picked up ToEE from EB for 10$. Installed it, hated the 3d/2d engine, loathed the pathfinding with more than 5 members, was quite sceptical of the interface, but had some fun with the combat engine which is fairly addicting, but was shocked that yet again a fantasy RPG has characters that say "OK." I understand that the characters in these games must speak english and that it has to be reasonably vernacular to appeal to everyone the publishers/developers want to buy the game, but OK is a colloquialism in the Fantasy RPG context I cannot abide. My frustrating few minutes with Never...

'quote' to `quote'
Hi, what is the way to change 'shocking,' said Sally into `shocking', said Sally automatically as Tex read the author.txt file? Does this method also change "whatever happens," he said into ``whatever happens.'' he said. David R David R <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk> wrote: > what is the way to change 'shocking,' said Sally > into `shocking', said Sally > automatically as Tex read the > author.txt file? It is possible (e.g. via an active '). But I suspect, this is a lot easier using a script language or similar. Also you ...

Cruft collecting in my "Open With" menu's, make's 'em slow
I'm running Mac OS X 10.4.3 on a G4 w/dual 867Mhz processors and 1gbyte (ie. billion bytes) of main ram... When I control-click on an icon, it gives a pop-up menu that includes an "Open With" sub-menu list. Unfortunately, this choices in the "Open With" sub-menu are populated when I just slide my mouse over the "Open With" option. I would prefer it if the choices weren't displayed until I choose that option by stopping on it, or sliding off to the right. Because I have lots of applications and lots of upgrades to applications, the "Open Wit...

Finder's "copy" and shell's "cp" hang
Weird problem... I have a drive -- which I suspect has physical problems and is therefore the root of the problem -- contain quite a number of my photography. Perhaps a half-year's worth of work. While trying to consolidate and organize all of my photos, I ran into a problem whereby Finder hangs when trying to move certain files. The rotten part is that I can't stop the copy (by hitting the x in the copy progress window). I can't even kill off the process (via term's "killall Finder" or "kill -9 [pid]." Finder just hangs. The only solution that I'...

I'm programming "Bard's Tale 4
Hi, I'm ForeverRent from Texas, a gay programmer and I'm currently raising funds on Kickstarter for "Bard's Tale 4 - Mystery of Tarjab's Wand". In this game, you have to find the mad god's "wand", which has been divided into 11 parts and which is hidden in the Bard's Tale multiverse. You have to search Skara Brae and numerous other locations through time and space for the pieces of the "wand". Can you re-assemble the "wand" and use it to defeat a great evil? The game will be released in January 2014. Stay tuned! -F.R. Hey, I doubt that you have the rights to the game. You can't make a sequel to a popular 80s game without the copyright or you're in deep trouble. However, a new Bard's Tale game would be cool... Gamer > Hi, > > I'm ForeverRent from Texas, a gay programmer and I'm currently raising > funds on Kickstarter for "Bard's Tale 4 - Mystery of Tarjab's Wand". > > In this game, you have to find the mad god's "wand", which has been > divided into 11 parts and which is hidden in the Bard's Tale multiverse. > > You have to search Skara Brae and numerous other locations through time > and space for the pieces of the "wand". > > Can you re-assemble the "wand" and use it to defeat a great evil? > > The game will be released in Januar...

"Select" & "Order By" OK- ''WHERE'' Does'nt Work !
Before i post actual code, as i need a speedyish reply. Can i first ask if anyone knows off the top of their head, if there is a likely obvious cause to the following problem. For the moment i've reduced my form request to a simple text string entry, instead of my desired optional parameters. As i have been stuck with a single unfathomable glitch for over a year. Basically, if i enter queries such as ; "select * from table" "select * from table order by artist", it works perfectly. However if i introduce the 'where' option, as in "select * from table where ...

user has pressed two "regular" keys (e.g. 'a' and 's') simultaneously
I just posted a new contribution to matlab central (doom.m: Fly through a 3D scene like in a first-person shooter in god mode) and would like to know if anyone could tell me how to get information about both keys (e.g. in a key press callback function) if the user has pressed two "regular" keys (e.g. 'a' and 's') simultaneously. Joerg ...

How to turn off 'N', 'S', 'E', 'W'
in the map lat and lon labels? I'm doing a final figure and I really don't need an 'N' after every latitude label, jus the number would suffice. How do I turn of the letters followin the number? What function / toolbox are you refering to?!? Being a little more specific would sure help to get an answer ... Sebastian ...

It's primitive; it's dumb; it's brittle--but it's AI.
http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/aisource.html is a pathway to the http://code.google.com/p/mindforth AI project at Google Code. The AI is primitive because it has only enough features to demon- strate thinking. It is "dumb" inasmuch as it has barely any IQ. It is extremely brittle because the slightest change in the code can destroy the artificial mind crafted so painstakingly in Forth: Arthur -- http://agi-roadmap.org/Milestones -- ten years of progress. ...

'is not' or '!='
A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements like: if x is not None: and if x != None: Without any context, which one should be preferred? IMHO, the latter is more readable. On 2014-08-18 21:35, ElChino wrote: > A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements > like: > if x is not None: > and > if x != None: > > Without any context, which one should be preferred? > IMHO, the latter is more readable. > "x == y" tells you whether x and y refer to objects that are equal. "x is y" tells you whether x and y actually refer to the same object. In the case of singletons like None (there's only one None object), it's better to use "is". "ElChino" <elchino@cnn.cn>: > A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements > like: > if x is not None: > and > if x != None: Do the following: take two $10 bills. Hold one bill in the left hand, hold the other bill in the right hand. Now, the bill in the left hand "is not" the bill in the right hand. However, the bill in the left hand "==" the bill in the right hand. > Without any context, which one should be preferred? > IMHO, the latter is more readable. In almost all cases, both tests would result in the same behavior. However, the "is not" test is conceptually the correct one since you want...

But it's "open" so it's good...
....right? "Motorola's dangled an Android 2.1 upgrade in front of CLIQ XT users for what seems like forever -- now it's putting away the bait indefinitely. In a statement released this morning, the company said that despite months of rigorous testing, the phone will remain on Android 1.5. We first heard promises of an update in June last year, but Motorola quickly reneged. In November, its predecessor got an upgrade, but the CLIQ XT was left hanging. Then in December, the company announced a delay, citing "additional testing," and when those tests failed...

Environ("username") / Dev Ashish's "fOSUserName" function return '#Name?' on some clients
I am trying to retrieve the user name (network login) of clients running a local Access DB. We use Access 2000 / 2003 and Windows XP SP 2. I have used 2 different ways to access this information from within Access: OPTION 1: Use Environ("username") OPTION 2: Use Dev Ashish's code (http://www.mvps.org/access/api/ api0008.htm) Both options seem to behave exactly the same for me. But this is my problem: On some clients I correctly retrieve the network login name and on some other clients I retrieve '#Name?'. On ALL clients though, if you you open command prompt and execut...

Nvidia's 'Nalu' vs ATI's 'Ruby'
http://karpo.org/images/Dunno/Ruby.jpg Nvidia's GeForce 6800 (NV40) 'Nalu' demo consists of 300,000 polygons. very very impressive shit! ATI's Radeon X800 (R420) 'Ruby' demo consists of only 80,000 polygons. however it is also rendering a background with other elements. closer to what would be in an actual game. now, console gamers: keep in mind, whatever ATI has been able to come up with at this point (re: the R420 / Radeon X800) is a stepping stone to what they'll be able to have in 2005 for Xbox Next, and in 2006 for GCNext :) On 14 Apr 2004 21:33:15 -0700, n...