A Look At The Mac's Future

You guys will be getting these...about the time cards two generations
newer are going for $25 on eBay. 8)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15628106/from/RS.2/

Cuss and discuss.

--
Why settle for the lesser evil?
Cthulhu for President 2008

In article <nea5l2hbrbiqsje06qi9tleu9942b18hte@4ax.com>,
 Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com> wrote:

> You guys will be getting these...about the time cards two generations
> newer are going for $25 on eBay. 8)
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15628106/from/RS.2/

too bad they had to be recalled.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/11/06/147208&from=rss
0
xyys (128)
11/9/2006 4:29:15 AM
In article <4552ae9b$0$495$815e3792@news.qwest.net>,
 Ted Landry <xyys@com.mil> wrote:

> In article <nea5l2hbrbiqsje06qi9tleu9942b18hte@4ax.com>,
>  Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > You guys will be getting these...about the time cards two generations
> > newer are going for $25 on eBay. 8)
> > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15628106/from/RS.2/
>
> too bad they had to be recalled.
>
> http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/11/06/147208&from=rss

Hahahahahahaaha! The Mayor of Crap goes down in flames.
On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 08:32:08 -0500, iMojo
<windoze_sucks@microshaft.com> chose to bless us with the following
wisdom:

>In article <4552ae9b$0$495$815e3792@news.qwest.net>,
> Ted Landry <xyys@com.mil> wrote:
>
>> In article <nea5l2hbrbiqsje06qi9tleu9942b18hte@4ax.com>,
>>  Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> > You guys will be getting these...about the time cards two generations
>> > newer are going for $25 on eBay. 8)
>> > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15628106/from/RS.2/
>>
>> too bad they had to be recalled.
>>
>> http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/11/06/147208&from=rss
>
>Hahahahahahaaha! The Mayor of Crap goes down in flames.

Yeah because one model of them got recalled and will be back next week
suddenly you guys aren't three generations behind on video cards. Keep
laughing, jackass.

--
"A president who breaks the law is a threat to the
very structure of our government."

Bill Clinton became eligible for reinstatement to the
bar on January 19,2006 after losing his law license
in 2001 for comitting perjury.
In article <kmh6l2hih4jjtapv8smftuistq70gkocr1@4ax.com>,

> >> too bad they had to be recalled.
> >>
> >> http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/11/06/147208&from=rss
> >
> >Hahahahahahaaha! The Mayor of Crap goes down in flames.
>
> Yeah because one model of them got recalled and will be back next week
> suddenly you guys aren't three generations behind on video cards. Keep
> laughing, jackass.

that card is pointless unless you are a gamer, didn't you even look at
the specs?
0
xyys (128)
11/9/2006 3:42:28 PM
On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 08:42:28 -0700, Ted Landry <xyys@com.mil> chose to
bless us with the following wisdom:

>> >Hahahahahahaaha! The Mayor of Crap goes down in flames.
>>
>> Yeah because one model of them got recalled and will be back next week
>> suddenly you guys aren't three generations behind on video cards. Keep
>> laughing, jackass.
>
>that card is pointless unless you are a gamer, didn't you even look at
>the specs?

At one time the cards that are common now were 'pointless unless you
are a gamer'. Now we consider them indispensable..

--

In article <tsj6l2hpa0av2iv18u7q0mdkualjtrmri7@4ax.com>,
 Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Yeah because one model of them got recalled and will be back next week
> >> suddenly you guys aren't three generations behind on video cards. Keep
> >> laughing, jackass.
> >
> >that card is pointless unless you are a gamer, didn't you even look at
> >the specs?
>
> At one time the cards that are common now were 'pointless unless you
> are a gamer'. Now we consider them indispensable..

of course and that's why apple takes the conservative approach to video
cards. it's one component that doesn't make a lot of sense to be on the
bleeding edge.
0
xyys (128)
11/9/2006 4:04:25 PM
On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 09:04:25 -0700, Ted Landry <xyys@com.mil> chose to
bless us with the following wisdom:

>> >that card is pointless unless you are a gamer, didn't you even look at
>> >the specs?
>>
>> At one time the cards that are common now were 'pointless unless you
>> are a gamer'. Now we consider them indispensable..
>>

>of course and that's why apple takes the conservative approach to video
>cards. it's one component that doesn't make a lot of sense to be on the
>bleeding edge.

And those grapes are sour too!

--

Ted Landry wrote:

> > >that card is pointless unless you are a gamer, didn't you even look at
> > >the specs?
> >
> > At one time the cards that are common now were 'pointless unless you
> > are a gamer'. Now we consider them indispensable..
> >

> of course and that's why apple takes the conservative approach to video
> cards. it's one component that doesn't make a lot of sense to be on the
> bleeding edge.

It doesn't "make sense" for Apple to be "on the bleeding edge" because
they've got lots of suckers standing in line to pay them premium prices
for technology that's two years (or more) old.

0
thorne25 (21019)
11/9/2006 6:30:47 PM
In article <1163097046.954849.238730@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 "Edwin" <thorne25@juno.com> wrote:

> Ted Landry wrote:

> > > At one time the cards that are common now were 'pointless unless you
> > > are a gamer'. Now we consider them indispensable..
> > >

> > of course and that's why apple takes the conservative approach to video
> > cards. it's one component that doesn't make a lot of sense to be on the
> > bleeding edge.
>
> It doesn't "make sense" for Apple to be "on the bleeding edge" because
> they've got lots of suckers standing in line to pay them premium prices
> for technology that's two years (or more) old.

You think the CPU's in Macs are two years old?
You think the MB designs are two years old?
You think the HD's are not current product?
You think the USB and firewire connectors are not current product?
You think Mac cases are two years old(when Macs 10 years ago look better than today's PC's)

--
Jim
0
In article <kmh6l2hih4jjtapv8smftuistq70gkocr1@4ax.com>,
 Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 08:32:08 -0500, iMojo
> <windoze_sucks@microshaft.com> chose to bless us with the following
> wisdom:
>
> >In article <4552ae9b$0$495$815e3792@news.qwest.net>,
> > Ted Landry <xyys@com.mil> wrote:

> >> too bad they had to be recalled.
> >>
> >> http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/11/06/147208&from=rss
> >
> >Hahahahahahaaha! The Mayor of Crap goes down in flames.
>
> Yeah because one model of them got recalled and will be back next week
> suddenly you guys aren't three generations behind on video cards. Keep
> laughing, jackass.

Mayor, why would anyone other than someone into games need such video
cards? It's like buying a modem with DSL throughput to use on a 56K
dialup account, or buying a pickup truck with 600 BHP and a top speed of
170 MPH. Even high-definition digital video doesn't need the kinds of
frame rates that these v-boards allow. Were I a gammer, I'd buy a
Windows box with the fastest everything I could find, but most Mac users
aren't into games (otherwise, we wouldn't be Mac users).

--
George Graves
Avoid arguments with the little woman about lifting the toilet seat
Jim Polaski wrote:
> In article <1163097046.954849.238730@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>  "Edwin" <thorne25@juno.com> wrote:
>
> > Ted Landry wrote:

> > > of course and that's why apple takes the conservative approach to video
> > > cards. it's one component that doesn't make a lot of sense to be on the
> > > bleeding edge.
> >
> > It doesn't "make sense" for Apple to be "on the bleeding edge" because
> > they've got lots of suckers standing in line to pay them premium prices
> > for technology that's two years (or more) old.
>
> You think the CPU's in Macs are two years old?
> You think the MB designs are two years old?
> You think the HD's are not current product?
> You think the USB and firewire connectors are not current product?
> You think Mac cases are two years old(when Macs 10 years ago look better than today's PC's)

We were talking about video cards.    Why did you respond with anything
but video cards?

0
thorne25 (21019)
11/9/2006 9:34:14 PM
In article <tsj6l2hpa0av2iv18u7q0mdkualjtrmri7@4ax.com>,
 Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 08:42:28 -0700, Ted Landry <xyys@com.mil> chose to
> bless us with the following wisdom:

> >> Yeah because one model of them got recalled and will be back next week
> >> suddenly you guys aren't three generations behind on video cards. Keep
> >> laughing, jackass.
> >
> >that card is pointless unless you are a gamer, didn't you even look at
> >the specs?
>
> At one time the cards that are common now were 'pointless unless you
> are a gamer'. Now we consider them indispensable..

That's true only to a point. That's the point where increasing
performance simply gives no advantage. Like buying a quad Xenon equipped
machine just to surf the web (processor speed is not the performance
bottleneck in that case). When and if that kind of cutting-edge
performance becomes generally needed and practical for things other than
games, Apple will start using them in Macs. Until then, the video
performance available in Macs is more than adequate for the purposes
that most people use the machines for. IOW, other than giving them
bragging rights, these cards will do nothing for the average Mac user.

--
George Graves
Avoid arguments with the little woman about lifting the toilet seat
by simply using the sink.
0
gmgraves (7483)
11/9/2006 9:40:17 PM
In article <45535189$0$91106$815e3792@news.qwest.net>,
 Ted Landry <xyys@com.mil> wrote:

> > >that card is pointless unless you are a gamer, didn't you even look at
> > >the specs?
> >
> > At one time the cards that are common now were 'pointless unless you
> > are a gamer'. Now we consider them indispensable..
> >

> of course and that's why apple takes the conservative approach to video
> cards. it's one component that doesn't make a lot of sense to be on the
> bleeding edge.

Exactly!

--
George Graves
Avoid arguments with the little woman about lifting the toilet seat
by simply using the sink.
0
gmgraves (7483)
11/9/2006 9:40:38 PM
In article <7kk6l2dlmj7bu4s0ok3l194f3b584d8ik9@4ax.com>,
 Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 09:04:25 -0700, Ted Landry <xyys@com.mil> chose to
> bless us with the following wisdom:

> >> At one time the cards that are common now were 'pointless unless you
> >> are a gamer'. Now we consider them indispensable..
> >>

> >of course and that's why apple takes the conservative approach to video
> >cards. it's one component that doesn't make a lot of sense to be on the
> >bleeding edge.
>
> And those grapes are sour too!

No they're not. Let me ask you this. If your mom wanted a computer to
ONLY do e-mail and surf the web, would you buy her a the fastest Alien
Skin gamming PC on the market equipped with one of these two cards?

--
George Graves
Avoid arguments with the little woman about lifting the toilet seat
by simply using the sink.
0
gmgraves (7483)
11/9/2006 9:44:43 PM
In article
<gmgraves-B07393.13282009112006@newsclstr03.news.prodigy.net>,
 George Graves <gmgraves@pacbell.net> wrote:

> In article <kmh6l2hih4jjtapv8smftuistq70gkocr1@4ax.com>,
>  Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 08:32:08 -0500, iMojo
> > <windoze_sucks@microshaft.com> chose to bless us with the following
> > wisdom:

> > >Hahahahahahaaha! The Mayor of Crap goes down in flames.
> >
> > Yeah because one model of them got recalled and will be back next week
> > suddenly you guys aren't three generations behind on video cards. Keep
> > laughing, jackass.
>
> Mayor, why would anyone other than someone into games need such video
> cards?

Professional graphics apps are increasingly leveraging video cards,
Apple is really pushing this concept both with their APIs and with their
own apps. Motion and Aperture already heavily leverage the GPU, and you
can be reasonably certain the next version of Final Cut Pro and the
Shake replacement Apple is working on will as well. These cards can now
work with large bitmaps at color depths all the way to 96 bits.
Real-time high resolution compositing, color correction, transitions,
etc. can all benefit.

NVIDIA has is also been aggressively developing technology to do
final-quality rendering on GPUs, rather than just using them for
low-quality previewing during the modeling process. And some things that
aren't even graphics-related can benefit. The Folding@Home protein
folding project has a version of their client that can leverage GPUs,
and it provides huge performance increases.

Given the importance Apple is placing on this stuff these days, I
wouldn't expect them to take too long to make new cards available
build-to-order from here on out.

[snip]

--
"Those who enter the country illegally violate the law."
          -- George W. Bush in Tucson, Ariz., Nov. 28, 2005
 Jim Polaski <jpolaski@NOync.net> wrote:

> In article <1163097046.954849.238730@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>  "Edwin" <thorne25@juno.com> wrote:
>
> > Ted Landry wrote:

> > > of course and that's why apple takes the conservative approach to video
> > > cards. it's one component that doesn't make a lot of sense to be on the
> > > bleeding edge.
> >
> > It doesn't "make sense" for Apple to be "on the bleeding edge" because
> > they've got lots of suckers standing in line to pay them premium prices
> > for technology that's two years (or more) old.
>
> You think the CPU's in Macs are two years old?
> You think the MB designs are two years old?
> You think the HD's are not current product?
> You think the USB and firewire connectors are not current product?
> You think Mac cases are two years old(when Macs 10 years ago look better than
> today's PC's)

We *are*, after all, talking about Edwin here. With him, almost anything
is possible.
0
sehix (4160)
11/10/2006 4:11:13 AM
On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 16:48:19 -0500, Mayor of R'lyeh
<mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com> chose to bless us with the following
wisdom:

>On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 13:40:17 -0800, George Graves
><gmgraves@pacbell.net> chose to bless us with the following wisdom:
>
>>In article <tsj6l2hpa0av2iv18u7q0mdkualjtrmri7@4ax.com>,
>> Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 08:42:28 -0700, Ted Landry <xyys@com.mil> chose to
>>> bless us with the following wisdom:

>>> At one time the cards that are common now were 'pointless unless you
>>> are a gamer'. Now we consider them indispensable..
>>
>>That's true only to a point. That's the point where increasing
>>performance simply gives no advantage.

That depends entirely on what you're doing. We're constantly getting
told by you that Macs are used exclusively in creative fields.
Rendering images in Photoshop and rendering movies in Final Cut Pro
require all the power they can get.

> Like buying a quad Xenon equipped
>>machine just to surf the web (processor speed is not the performance
>>bottleneck in that case). When and if that kind of cutting-edge
>>performance becomes generally needed and practical for things other than
>>games,

It already is. 3D apps, for one, will use everything you can toss at
them.

> Apple will start using them in Macs. Until then, the video
>>performance available in Macs is more than adequate for the purposes
>>that most people use the machines for. IOW, other than giving them
>>bragging rights, these cards will do nothing for the average Mac user.

And them grapes were sour anyway!

--
"A president who breaks the law is a threat to the
very structure of our government."
                        Al Gore

Bill Clinton became eligible for reinstatement to the
bar on January 19,2006 after losing his law license
in 2001 for comitting perjury.
On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 13:44:43 -0800, George Graves
<gmgraves@pacbell.net> chose to bless us with the following wisdom:

>In article <7kk6l2dlmj7bu4s0ok3l194f3b584d8ik9@4ax.com>,
> Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 09:04:25 -0700, Ted Landry <xyys@com.mil> chose to
>> bless us with the following wisdom:

>> >of course and that's why apple takes the conservative approach to video
>> >cards. it's one component that doesn't make a lot of sense to be on the
>> >bleeding edge.
>>
>> And those grapes are sour too!
>
>No they're not. Let me ask you this. If your mom wanted a computer to
>ONLY do e-mail and surf the web, would you buy her a the fastest Alien
>Skin gamming PC on the market equipped with one of these two cards?

My Mom is not the only computer user in the world. Nowhere does anyone
suggest that these cards should be standard. The point is that people
who need them ( and that's a helluva lot more than just gamers) can
get them on Windows machines but can't with Macs.

--
"A president who breaks the law is a threat to the
very structure of our government."
                        Al Gore

Bill Clinton became eligible for reinstatement to the
bar on January 19,2006 after losing his law license
in 2001 for comitting perjury.
On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 13:28:20 -0800, George Graves
<gmgraves@pacbell.net> chose to bless us with the following wisdom:

>In article <kmh6l2hih4jjtapv8smftuistq70gkocr1@4ax.com>,
> Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 08:32:08 -0500, iMojo
>> <windoze_sucks@microshaft.com> chose to bless us with the following
>> wisdom:

>> >Hahahahahahaaha! The Mayor of Crap goes down in flames.
>>
>> Yeah because one model of them got recalled and will be back next week
>> suddenly you guys aren't three generations behind on video cards. Keep
>> laughing, jackass.
>
>Mayor, why would anyone other than someone into games need such video
>cards?

Because what you derisivley dismiss as gamer's cards are actually pro
level cards. Haven't you noticed that the pro graphics card has pretty
much vanished? Its been replaced by these high level cards coming out
from Nvidia and to a lesser extent ATI.
These are not just gamer's cards no matter how much you want to
pretend otherwise.

> It's like buying a modem with DSL throughput to use on a 56K
>dialup account, or buying a pickup truck with 600 BHP and a top speed of
>170 MPH. Even high-definition digital video doesn't need the kinds of
>frame rates that these v-boards allow. Were I a gammer, I'd buy a
>Windows box with the fastest everything I could find, but most Mac users
>aren't into games (otherwise, we wouldn't be Mac users).

But video and photo editors will love the depth of color these things
provide.

--

In article <ep28l29advk8m9u9uj5u81nrlml5qve5d6@4ax.com>,
 Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 13:28:20 -0800, George Graves
> <gmgraves@pacbell.net> chose to bless us with the following wisdom:
>
> >In article <kmh6l2hih4jjtapv8smftuistq70gkocr1@4ax.com>,
> > Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 08:32:08 -0500, iMojo
> >> <windoze_sucks@microshaft.com> chose to bless us with the following
> >> wisdom:

> >> Yeah because one model of them got recalled and will be back next week
> >> suddenly you guys aren't three generations behind on video cards. Keep
> >> laughing, jackass.
> >
> >Mayor, why would anyone other than someone into games need such video
> >cards?
>
> Because what you derisivley dismiss as gamer's cards are actually pro
> level cards. Haven't you noticed that the pro graphics card has pretty
> much vanished? Its been replaced by these high level cards coming out
> from Nvidia and to a lesser extent ATI.
> These are not just gamer's cards no matter how much you want to
> pretend otherwise.
>
> > It's like buying a modem with DSL throughput to use on a 56K
> >dialup account, or buying a pickup truck with 600 BHP and a top speed of
> >170 MPH. Even high-definition digital video doesn't need the kinds of
> >frame rates that these v-boards allow. Were I a gammer, I'd buy a
> >Windows box with the fastest everything I could find, but most Mac users
> >aren't into games (otherwise, we wouldn't be Mac users).
>
> But video and photo editors will love the depth of color these things
> provide.

Agreed. I just bought a MackBook Pro today instead of a MacBook  because
of the graphics card (which is plenty beefy for my portable video
editing needs).
0
noone (9909)
11/10/2006 5:32:18 AM
In article <8m28l29tt2kr6378b0j3l4s4jlnotodllf@4ax.com>,
 Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 13:44:43 -0800, George Graves
> <gmgraves@pacbell.net> chose to bless us with the following wisdom:
>
> >In article <7kk6l2dlmj7bu4s0ok3l194f3b584d8ik9@4ax.com>,
> > Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 09:04:25 -0700, Ted Landry <xyys@com.mil> chose to
> >> bless us with the following wisdom:

> >> And those grapes are sour too!
> >
> >No they're not. Let me ask you this. If your mom wanted a computer to
> >ONLY do e-mail and surf the web, would you buy her a the fastest Alien
> >Skin gamming PC on the market equipped with one of these two cards?
>
> My Mom is not the only computer user in the world. Nowhere does anyone
> suggest that these cards should be standard. The point is that people
> who need them ( and that's a helluva lot more than just gamers) can
> get them on Windows machines but can't with Macs.

The days of Apple not offering high-end graphics cards are pretty much
over, Mayor. I don't anticipate a lag of more than a couple of months
from here on out. When high-end GPUs were only really useful to gamers
and people doing mostly Windows-based 3D modeling, Apple let things lag
a bit. But now that Maya is on the platform (and the Mac version is
apparently doing quite well), and Apple is starting to heavily leverage
graphics cards in its own professional level apps, you can be pretty
certain Apple will make sure Mac users can get the latest stuff.

NVIDIA will probably be fairly anxious to work with Apple as well. Going
forward, the creative pros purchasing high-end Macs are going to
probably make up a fairly sizable fraction of the market for these
high-end cards. Apple has a far higher market share in e.g. video
editing than in the general market.

--
"Those who enter the country illegally violate the law."
          -- George W. Bush in Tucson, Ariz., Nov. 28, 2005
0
znu (10395)
11/10/2006 5:51:00 AM
In article <1163108054.715033.103780@h54g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
 "Edwin" <thorne25@juno.com> wrote:

> Jim Polaski wrote:
> > In article <1163097046.954849.238730@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,

> > > It doesn't "make sense" for Apple to be "on the bleeding edge" because
> > > they've got lots of suckers standing in line to pay them premium prices
> > > for technology that's two years (or more) old.
> >
> > You think the CPU's in Macs are two years old?
> > You think the MB designs are two years old?
> > You think the HD's are not current product?
> > You think the USB and firewire connectors are not current product?
> > You think Mac cases are two years old(when Macs 10 years ago look better
> > than today's PC's)
>
> We were talking about video cards.    Why did you respond with anything
> but video cards?

Because the video cards in current Macs aren't two year olds, as
opposed to the video card in your HP.

--
Sandman[.net]
0
In article <ep28l29advk8m9u9uj5u81nrlml5qve5d6@4ax.com>,
 Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 13:28:20 -0800, George Graves
> <gmgraves@pacbell.net> chose to bless us with the following wisdom:
>
> >In article <kmh6l2hih4jjtapv8smftuistq70gkocr1@4ax.com>,
> > Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 08:32:08 -0500, iMojo
> >> <windoze_sucks@microshaft.com> chose to bless us with the following
> >> wisdom:

> >> Yeah because one model of them got recalled and will be back next week
> >> suddenly you guys aren't three generations behind on video cards. Keep
> >> laughing, jackass.
> >
> >Mayor, why would anyone other than someone into games need such video
> >cards?
>
> Because what you derisivley dismiss as gamer's cards are actually pro
> level cards.

That no one except gammers have any need for. Besides, your article just
talks about a chipset, how do you know that cards based on this chipset
won't work on Intel Macs when they're released?

> Haven't you noticed that the pro graphics card has pretty
> much vanished? Its been replaced by these high level cards coming out
> from Nvidia and to a lesser extent ATI.
> These are not just gamer's cards no matter how much you want to
> pretend otherwise.

You need to explain who else, other than gammers, need this kind of
performance before I'll entertain that assertion.

> > It's like buying a modem with DSL throughput to use on a 56K
> >dialup account, or buying a pickup truck with 600 BHP and a top speed of
> >170 MPH. Even high-definition digital video doesn't need the kinds of
> >frame rates that these v-boards allow. Were I a gammer, I'd buy a
> >Windows box with the fastest everything I could find, but most Mac users
> >aren't into games (otherwise, we wouldn't be Mac users).
>
> But video and photo editors will love the depth of color these things
> provide.

I don't think so. Because they can't offer any more depth of color than
the gamuts of the supported formats allow. What good is a card that will
support 48-bits of color when JPEG only supports 32-bit color and MPEG
even less?

--
George Graves
Avoid arguments with the little woman about lifting the toilet seat
by simply using the sink.
0
gmgraves (7483)
11/10/2006 7:41:33 PM
In article <8m28l29tt2kr6378b0j3l4s4jlnotodllf@4ax.com>,
 Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 13:44:43 -0800, George Graves
> <gmgraves@pacbell.net> chose to bless us with the following wisdom:
>
> >In article <7kk6l2dlmj7bu4s0ok3l194f3b584d8ik9@4ax.com>,
> > Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 09:04:25 -0700, Ted Landry <xyys@com.mil> chose to
> >> bless us with the following wisdom:

> >> And those grapes are sour too!
> >
> >No they're not. Let me ask you this. If your mom wanted a computer to
> >ONLY do e-mail and surf the web, would you buy her a the fastest Alien
> >Skin gamming PC on the market equipped with one of these two cards?
>
> My Mom is not the only computer user in the world. Nowhere does anyone
> suggest that these cards should be standard. The point is that people
> who need them ( and that's a helluva lot more than just gamers) can
> get them on Windows machines but can't with Macs.

What makes you think that these cards won't work in Mac Pro boxes? The
article you referenced didn't say that. It merely talked about a new
graphics chip set, it said nothing about platforms that will be
ultimately supported by a card made with them.

--
George Graves
Avoid arguments with the little woman about lifting the toilet seat
by simply using the sink.
0
gmgraves (7483)
11/10/2006 7:44:42 PM
In article <me28l2hsfasbmc4mnf51oi54331grka097@4ax.com>,
 Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 16:48:19 -0500, Mayor of R'lyeh
> <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com> chose to bless us with the following
> wisdom:
>
> >On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 13:40:17 -0800, George Graves
> ><gmgraves@pacbell.net> chose to bless us with the following wisdom:

> >>That's true only to a point. That's the point where increasing
> >>performance simply gives no advantage.
>
> That depends entirely on what you're doing. We're constantly getting
> told by you that Macs are used exclusively in creative fields.
> Rendering images in Photoshop and rendering movies in Final Cut Pro
> require all the power they can get.
>
> > Like buying a quad Xenon equipped
> >>machine just to surf the web (processor speed is not the performance
> >>bottleneck in that case). When and if that kind of cutting-edge
> >>performance becomes generally needed and practical for things other than
> >>games,
>
> It already is. 3D apps, for one, will use everything you can toss at
> them.
>
> > Apple will start using them in Macs. Until then, the video
> >>performance available in Macs is more than adequate for the purposes
> >>that most people use the machines for. IOW, other than giving them
> >>bragging rights, these cards will do nothing for the average Mac user.
>
> And them grapes were sour anyway!

And, of course, you don't know that the cards using these these new
chips won't work in Intel Mac Towers.

--
George Graves
Avoid arguments with the little woman about lifting the toilet seat
by simply using the sink.
0
gmgraves (7483)
11/10/2006 7:47:14 PM
In article
<gmgraves-8AE207.11413310112006@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com>,
 George Graves <gmgraves@pacbell.net> wrote:

> In article <ep28l29advk8m9u9uj5u81nrlml5qve5d6@4ax.com>,
>  Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> > But video and photo editors will love the depth of color these things
> > provide.
>
> I don't think so. Because they can't offer any more depth of color than
> the gamuts of the supported formats allow. What good is a card that will
> support 48-bits of color when JPEG only supports 32-bit color and MPEG
> even less?

It's not for display (mostly, though this is coming), it's for
processing, which is increasingly being moved onto video cards. You can
gain significant advantages by processing images at high bit depths.
Float processing (32-bit per channel, or 96-but color) is getting
popular in the film/video post production world these days, for instance.

High bit-depth processing eliminates rounding errors. It also prevents
premature 'clipping' when applying multiple filters. This is really
important.

Let's say you apply one filter than raises the level of certain pixels,
and another that lowers the level of certain pixels. If you're
processing in 8-bit per channel color, and that first filter raises the
values of any pixels above 255, all detail is lost there; they 'clip' to
solid white. The second filter can't bring that detail back.

With 32-bit per channel color, this doesn't happen; you can apply
filters that take pixels above full white, and they still retail
distinct values. If you later apply filters that bring their levels back
down, detail will be visible again.

This applies even if you start with 8-bit per channel source data. But
keep in mind, there are a lot of sources for higher bit-depth images
these days. Digital SLR cameras almost all do 12 bits per channel.
Professional camcorders and digital cinematography cameras can do 10 or
12. And many scanners can go up to 16.

--
"Those who enter the country illegally violate the law."
          -- George W. Bush in Tucson, Ariz., Nov. 28, 2005
0
znu (10395)
11/10/2006 8:06:18 PM
In article
<gmgraves-B07393.13282009112006@newsclstr03.news.prodigy.net>,
 George Graves <gmgraves@pacbell.net> wrote:

> In article <kmh6l2hih4jjtapv8smftuistq70gkocr1@4ax.com>,
>  Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 08:32:08 -0500, iMojo
> > <windoze_sucks@microshaft.com> chose to bless us with the following
> > wisdom:

> > >Hahahahahahaaha! The Mayor of Crap goes down in flames.
> >
> > Yeah because one model of them got recalled and will be back next week
> > suddenly you guys aren't three generations behind on video cards. Keep
> > laughing, jackass.
>
> Mayor, why would anyone other than someone into games need such video
> cards? It's like buying a modem with DSL throughput to use on a 56K
> dialup account, or buying a pickup truck with 600 BHP and a top speed of
> 170 MPH. Even high-definition digital video doesn't need the kinds of
> frame rates that these v-boards allow. Were I a gammer, I'd buy a
> Windows box with the fastest everything I could find, but most Mac users
> aren't into games (otherwise, we wouldn't be Mac users).

I disagree with you. As a Mac fanboi, I hope that Apple starts
installing video cards, that would allow the high-quality games to be
played on Mac. Even though personally, I'm one of your usual
user--e-mail, internet surfing, GraphicConverter, few simple games--I
think it would be great if I could tell people, "sure, you can play all
the games you have on the Mac, so dump that MS shit!" That's one of the
thing that's holding Mac back from reaching its potential market.
0
hflam (292)
11/11/2006 7:48:43 AM
In article <hflam-49A7CC.23484210112006@news.telus.net>,
 Henry  Flam <hflam@telus.net> wrote:

> In article
> <gmgraves-B07393.13282009112006@newsclstr03.news.prodigy.net>,
>  George Graves <gmgraves@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <kmh6l2hih4jjtapv8smftuistq70gkocr1@4ax.com>,
> >  Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 08:32:08 -0500, iMojo
> > > <windoze_sucks@microshaft.com> chose to bless us with the following
> > > wisdom:

> > > Yeah because one model of them got recalled and will be back next week
> > > suddenly you guys aren't three generations behind on video cards. Keep
> > > laughing, jackass.
> >
> > Mayor, why would anyone other than someone into games need such video
> > cards? It's like buying a modem with DSL throughput to use on a 56K
> > dialup account, or buying a pickup truck with 600 BHP and a top speed of
> > 170 MPH. Even high-definition digital video doesn't need the kinds of
> > frame rates that these v-boards allow. Were I a gammer, I'd buy a
> > Windows box with the fastest everything I could find, but most Mac users
> > aren't into games (otherwise, we wouldn't be Mac users).
>
> I disagree with you. As a Mac fanboi, I hope that Apple starts
> installing video cards, that would allow the high-quality games to be
> played on Mac. Even though personally, I'm one of your usual
> user--e-mail, internet surfing, GraphicConverter, few simple games--I
> think it would be great if I could tell people, "sure, you can play all
> the games you have on the Mac, so dump that MS shit!" That's one of the
> thing that's holding Mac back from reaching its potential market.

I don't disagree that Apple ought to make cutting edge boards available,
but its not really up to them. With modern Intel Macs, all it requires
is that these high-end graphic card manufacturers make drivers availabe
for OSX for that to happen. But since there are so few cutting edge
games available for the Mac (so I'm told), that most don't see the need,
and certainly most Mac apps don't need the power.

--
George Graves
Avoid arguments with the little woman about lifting the toilet seat
by simply using the sink.
0
gmgraves (7483)

It's a Mac, Mac, Mac World
I wonder how the Windows users would like my (ab)normal Microsoft-free world: My business: all Mac, no PCs. My dentist, family physician and urologist are all Mac. No PCs. Went to Sir Speedy today for more bus. cards and some binding: all Mac (no surprise there). My daughter's three new college room mates have emailed her. Two have PowerBooks and one has an eMac. (She has a G5 iMac.) I never even see a PC unless I am at the public library or a store using a Windows POS unit. It never was intentional. I don't scout a place to see what frickin' computer they use. Jus...

It's not the Mac I dislike it's the Mac users especially.
Tom Bates / Kirby the vacuum cleaner George Graves "NIGGARDLY" Jim Polaski Jim Lee jerk Crowley the boot Homey wrote: > Tom Bates / Kirby the vacuum cleaner > George Graves "NIGGARDLY" > Jim Polaski > Jim Lee jerk > Crowley the boot Can you do us a favour and add me to the list because quite frankly I think you are a jerk... cheers :) In article <ZOYYf.66$0n6.50@fe12.lga>, "Homey" <Homey@gigaworld.com> wrote: > Tom Bates / Kirby the vacuum cleaner > George Graves "NIGGARDLY" > Jim Polaski > Jim Lee jerk ...

First is was iPods, now it's Macs! Mac Advocacy
http://tinyurl.com/6sawx Or so the author says. Seems at least here, the college kids are buying a lot of Macs because of the iPod along with the fact that Mac Laptops are cheaper than their Dell cousins. Seems the college crowd is providing the Mac Advocacy. -- Regards, JP "The measure of a man is what he will do knowing he will get nothing in return" In article <jpolaski-CC78AF.11530722092004@netnews.comcast.net>, Jim Polaski <jpolaski@NOSpaMync.net> wrote: > http://tinyurl.com/6sawx > > Or so the author says. Seems at least here, the college kids ...

My Mac vs your Mac (Was: This year's iMac vs. last year's)
On 08/05/2009 08:53 PM, Ronnie Bateman wrote: > I'm not rich, and a 24-inch monitor seems like an unnecessary luxury. > I can get by without that. I couldn't sympathize more with you since I had a similar problem. It's not that I'm not rich enough to buy those nice Macs... but I'd rather keep things this way. So, finally, I found a Mac that suits my needs and wallet. The problem, if you have space concerns, is that it looks more like a Mac Pro than a iMac. But check the specs compared to an iMac: Triple Core 2.8 GHz CPU | 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P mobo | some unknown lowest bidder mobo 4 GB of DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | 2GB of 1066MHz DDR3 9400GT video card 1 GB RAM | 9400M with 256MB *shared* memory 640 GB Western Digital HD | 320 MB Samsung HD Asus VW246H 24" 2ms monitor | 20" Lucky Goldstar monitor Price US: ~ $850 | $1,2000 If you really need Bluetooth, WiFi and Firewire 800 -- the Gigabyte board "only" has Firewire 400 and 10 USB2 ports -- extra cards will set you back another $100, but it would be cheaper to buy a mobo with those integrated. But let's say a total of $950. It's "only" $250 less than the 20" iMac, but you get your 24" monitor, twice the RAM at higher speed, twice the HD space, a much more powerful CPU, a way better video card and enough space and PSU power to add extra HD. Even if it was the same price, it would already be a pretty good deal. Now ...

2006/02/04 VectorWorks.V12.MAC.OSX 3CDs, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 04/Feb/2006, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', '
2006/02/04 VectorWorks.V12.MAC.OSX 3CDs, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 04/Feb/2006, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' GARAGE SALES, buy, risk-free purchase, working, tested, fully functional, very cheap discounted price, low cost, quality OEM software, -------------------------------------------------------- Abvent Artlantis v4.5 Mac 1CD Abvent.PhotoCAD.v1.0.MacOSX ACD.Systems.Canvas.X.0.2.925.MacOSX Adobe.Acrobat.7.0.Pro....

2006/02/04 VectorWorks.V12.MAC.OSX 3CDs, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 04/Feb/2006, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', '
2006/02/04 VectorWorks.V12.MAC.OSX 3CDs, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 04/Feb/2006, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' GARAGE SALES, buy, risk-free purchase, working, tested, fully functional, very cheap discounted price, low cost, quality OEM software, -------------------------------------------------------- Abvent Artlantis v4.5 Mac 1CD Abvent.PhotoCAD.v1.0.MacOSX ACD.Systems.Canvas.X.0.2.925.MacOSX Adobe.Acrobat.7.0.Pro.for.Mac.OS 1C...

2006/02/04 VectorWorks.V12.MAC.OSX 3CDs, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 04/Feb/2006, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', '
2006/02/04 VectorWorks.V12.MAC.OSX 3CDs, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 04/Feb/2006, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' GARAGE SALES, buy, risk-free purchase, working, tested, fully functional, very cheap discounted price, low cost, quality OEM software, -------------------------------------------------------- Abvent Artlantis v4.5 Mac 1CD Abvent.PhotoCAD.v1.0.MacOSX ACD.Systems.Canvas.X.0.2.925.MacOSX Adobe.Acrobat.7.0.Pro....

Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/September/29, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID'
Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/September/29, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' please send e-mail to : loa210 'AT' mail 'DOT' gr , loa210 'AT' mailbox 'DOT' gr , www 'DOT' 20000plusdvdsandcds 'DOT' gr , ( please substitute 'AT' with '@' , and 'DOT' with '.' ) , loa210@mail.gr, loa210@mailbox.gr, www.20000plusdvdsandcds.tk ------------------------------------...

Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/September/29, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID'
Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/September/29, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' please send e-mail to : loa210 'AT' mail 'DOT' gr , loa210 'AT' mailbox 'DOT' gr , www 'DOT' 20000plusdvdsandcds 'DOT' gr , ( please substitute 'AT' with '@' , and 'DOT' with '.' ) , loa210@mail.gr, loa210@mailbox.gr, www.20000plusdvdsandcds.tk ---------------------------...

Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2006/December/03, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID'
Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2006/December/03, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' -------------------------------------------------------- DFT Super Bundle for Apple Final Cut Pro, 4 CDs The DFT Super Bundle includes full versions of: 55mm, Digital Film Lab, Composite Suite, and zMatte. DFT Filter Bundle for Apple Final Cut Pro, 1 CD The DFT Filter Bundle includes full versions of: 55mm and Digital Film Lab. DFT Keyer Bundle for App...

Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 19/June/2006, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID'
Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 19/June/2006, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' GARAGE SALES, buy, risk-free purchase, working, tested, fully functional, very cheap discounted price, low cost, quality OEM software, -------------------------------------------------------- Synthogy Ivory version 1.5, 10 DVDs Concert Grand Pianos Plug-in for AU, VST and RTAS Mac/PC Abvent Artlantis v4.5 Mac 1CD Abvent.PhotoCAD.v1.0.MacOSX ACD.Systems.Canvas.X.0....

[...]

Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/May/19, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID'
Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/May/19, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' -------------------------------------------------------- DFT Super Bundle for Apple Final Cut Pro, 4 CDs The DFT Super Bundle includes full versions of: 55mm, Digital Film Lab, Composite Suite, and zMatte. DFT Filter Bundle for Apple Final Cut Pro, 1 CD The DFT Filter Bundle includes full versions of: 55mm and Digital Film Lab. DFT Keyer Bundle for Apple Final Cut Pro, 1 CD The DFT Keyer Bundle includes full versions of: zMatte and Composite Suite. 55mm 7.0 Apple Final Cut Pro, 1 CD Glass camera filter simulation, specialized lenses, optical lab processes, film grain, matte generation, exacting color correction as well as natural light and photographic effects. Composite Suite 3.0 for Apple Final Cut Pro,1 CD Using proprietary compositing tools, matte manipulation, color correction, grain and lighting Effects, Composite Suite eradicates the most common compositing problems. Digital Film Lab 2.0 for Final Cut Pro, 1 CD The ultimate film look plug-in transforms crisp, harsh looking video into the softer, more organic look of film using the included 135 preset film looks. zMatte 2.0 for Apple Final Cut Pro, 1 CD Intelligent blue and green screen keying that is easy to use, yet provides the tools you need when presented...

Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/May/19, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID'
Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/May/19, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' -------------------------------------------------------- DFT Super Bundle for Apple Final Cut Pro, 4 CDs The DFT Super Bundle includes full versions of: 55mm, Digital Film Lab, Composite Suite, and zMatte. DFT Filter Bundle for Apple Final Cut Pro, 1 CD The DFT Filter Bundle includes full versions of: 55mm and Digital Film Lab. DFT Keyer Bundle for Apple Fi...

Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/September/20, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID'
Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/September/20, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' please send e-mail loa210@mail.gr , loa210@mailbox.gr , -------------------------------------------------------- 08/22/2007 Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.10 X86 08/14/2007 Adobe CS3 Master Collection MAC OSX UB D1 .DVD 08/09/2007 Digidesign Pro Tools V7.3 LE MAC OSX 05/11/2007 Altiverb 5.1 .MAC. .PPC. OSX 04/26/2007 VTC Macromedia D...

[...]

Adobe.CS3.Web.Premium.Vol.MAC.OSX 1DVD, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/April/28, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS',
Adobe.CS3.Web.Premium.Vol.MAC.OSX 1DVD, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/April/28, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' -------------------------------------------------------- DFT Super Bundle for Apple Final Cut Pro, 4 CDs The DFT Super Bundle includes full versions of: 55mm, Digital Film Lab, Composite Suite, and zMatte. DFT Filter Bundle for Apple Final Cut Pro, 1 CD The DFT Filter Bundle includes full versions of: 55mm and ...

[...]

Web resources about - A Look At The Mac's Future - comp.sys.mac.advocacy