Apple is now in third...

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

If the trolls tell us that people should be buying netbooks rather than
iPads...

....then shouldn't we compare marketshare of both in the same group?

<http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/08/02/with-ipad-apple-is-no-3-in-portab
les/>

--
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone

See related articles to this posting

"Alan Baker" <alangbaker@telus.net> wrote in message

> If the trolls tell us that people should be buying netbooks rather than
> iPads...

You denied promoting iPads, KDT.

> ...then shouldn't we compare marketshare of both in the same group?

The fact a netbook is a better value than a big iPod doesn't put the netbook
in the same group with the big iPod, KDT.

> <http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/08/02/with-ipad-apple-is-no-3-in-portab
> les/>
>
> --
> "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
> "I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone
> "It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix
> with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin
> on Mac OS X)
> '[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
> 'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
> IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
> 'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included
> on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun)

0
Reply Clavicus 2/17/2011 10:07:22 PM

In article <ijk66t$pn5$1@news.albasani.net>,
 "Clavicus Vile" <clavicus.vile@oblivion.org> wrote:

> "Alan Baker" <alangbaker@telus.net> wrote in message
>
> > If the trolls tell us that people should be buying netbooks rather than
> > iPads...
>
> You denied promoting iPads, KDT.
>
> > ...then shouldn't we compare marketshare of both in the same group?
>
> The fact a netbook is a better value than a big iPod doesn't put the netbook
> in the same group with the big iPod, KDT.

Is there some reason you're no replying to posts that are 6 months old?

No matter.

Fact is that iPad sales have had a significant negative effect on
netbook sales. That indicates that real people seem to disagree with
your assessment of its suitability as a netbook replacement.

--
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone
"It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X)
'[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included
on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun)
0
Reply Alan 2/17/2011 10:12:55 PM
comp.sys.mac.advocacy 32059 articles. 1 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Apple now third-largest PC seller in U.S.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20019514-260.html?tag=mncol "Jim" <jpolaski@NoSamync.net> wrote in message news:jpolaski-CD8772.07331514102010@news.newsguy.com... > http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20019514-260.html?tag=mncol "Perennial worldwide market leader HP saw little change in volume, claiming 17.7 percent of the 89.3 million computers shipped in the third quarter. Acer reclaimed its No. 2 spot with 13 percent of shipments, Dell dropped backed to third place with 12.5 percent, Lenovo claimed 10.3 percent of shipments, and newcomer Asus stayed...

Apple Computer now Apple Inc.
It only makes sense. Apple is more than just computers. They are a digital lifestyle company. On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 14:30:33 -0500, iMojo <windoze_sucks@microshaft.com> wrote: >It only makes sense. Apple is more than just computers. They are a >digital lifestyle company. In fact, computers are now south of 40% of Apple, and falling fast. It's obvious where the attention and resources are going, and it's not OS X or the computer line. Tom Elam "tom_elam@earthlink.net" <tom_elam@earthlink.net> stated in post pbr7q2hu9bg24nh9vulabfmanpn58ttbjg@4ax.com on ...

Apple now surpasses Nokia, now heads to crush HP
Apple is now more valuable than Nokia, and will soon surpass HP in overall "value"... Good work iPhone! --- HPQ HEWLETT PACKARD CO 120.21B WFC WELLS FARGO & CO NEW 117.96B STD BANCO SANTANDER CENT 117.58B UBS UBS AG (NEW) 117.55B AMX AMERICA MOVIL, S.A.B 116.18B AAPL APPLE INC 114.82B RIO COMPANHIA VALE ADS 114.62B SNY SANOFI-AVENTIS SA 112.75B NOK NOKIA CP ADS 112.44B http://screen.yahoo.com/b?mc=100000000/&z=mc&db=stocks&vw=1&b=38 In article <colalovesmacs-6BD2D1.16502706072007@mpls-nnrp-02.inet.qwest.net>, Oxford <colalo...

Apple Maps..... Now I'm an Apple loving laughing stock (say that after a few drinks)
I have spent several years bragging to my non Apple mates how good the iPad & iPhone are, now they just mention the Maps app and laugh. Let's hope that Google bring out a mapping app & that Apple will allow it! Roy: > I have spent several years bragging to my non Apple mates how good the > iPad & iPhone are, now they just mention the Maps app and laugh. Let's > hope that Google bring out a mapping app & that Apple will allow it! Maybe Apple screwed up the maps app just to teach you not to brag--especially about something you had no part of. Ex...

BMP2SHR i686 Apple Darwin, Power PC Apple Darwin and i686 Executables now available
mmphosis has provided bmp2shr Version 2.0 executables for 3 targets: i686-apple-darwin10 powerpc-apple-darwin8 i686-linux-gnu They are now available for additional testing and for general use from the following link: http://www.aztecmuseum.ca/extras/bmp2shr-gcc.zip Much thanks for this effort, which goes above and beyond what I expected. 3 binaries! mmphosis also did a very simple testing using the b2s-i686-apple-darwin10 binary executable on Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Intel.) and created a makefile for gcc. more testing would always be nice of course:) FWIW the manual is...

cAndy Apple Google Android Apple //e emulator
cAndy Apple is an Apple //e emulator for Google Android smartphones. It uses an Applewin based library for the emulation core and a Java UI. This version adds sound and the option to lock out the menu and search buttons so they don't accidentally interrupt game play. Screenshots available at http://www.zerohoh.com/candyapple . ...

Apples market cap now bigger than Microsoft, and Apple uses Unix ... getting the picture yet trolls ?
Unix is dead or dying .... Linux is doomed ... The wintrolls have fed and washed their flying pigs ... Meanwhile Microsoft shrinks and becomes less and less relevant, and if we are lucky, when it finally vanishes into oblivion, it will take the cola wintrolls with it. begin{quote} Apple's market capitalization of $227.1 billion, based on its stock price on the afternoon of May 26, made it the most valuable U.S. technology company--edging out Microsoft and its $226.3 billion market capitalization. end{quote} http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/corporate/ microsoft...

Apple Reports Third Quarter Results / Best Non-Holiday Quarter Revenue and Earnings in Apple History
Apple Reports Third Quarter Results Best Non-Holiday Quarter Revenue and Earnings in Apple History CUPERTINO, California-July 21, 2009-Apple today announced financial results for its fiscal 2009 third quarter ended June 27, 2009. The Company posted revenue of $8.34 billion and a net quarterly profit of $1.23 billion, or $1.35 per diluted share. These results compare to revenue of $7.46 billion and net quarterly profit of $1.07 billion, or $1.19 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 36.3 percent, up from 34.8 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sal...

My Apple ][+ is now very, very sad...
This is such a disappointment. After putting in all that time to get my ][+ nice and clean and looking new, and having spent hours disassembling and reassembling the keyboard to get it working just right, it dies on me, mostly dead anyway. At least I got a few days of fun with it after I cleaned it up. Anyway, yesterday afternoon I trekked down to the basement to align and calibrate my Disk ][s. I turned on the lights, shut off the dehumidifier (its so loud!) and booted up the ][+. At first I freaked out because I wasn't getting any video, then I noticed that the Monitor ][ was just turne...

Why I (now) hate Apple
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/carroll/why-i-now-hate-apple/1925 Why I (now) hate Apple By John Carroll | March 4, 2010, 10:57am PS I can't say that I have always hated Apple. Granted, I haven't been a huge fan of their products, but to my mind, Apple was just the vendor of a product that I used infrequently, if at all. They weren't something to get worked up about. I have appreciated the physical beauty of their products, at least from a hardware standpoint, and have said as much in my blog. Recent events, however, have led me down the path of outright dislike of App...

Sell Apple NOW?
Traditional investment wisdom says that when a company has enough spare cash to dump big bucks on a corporate headquarters, the party's over. Apple's planned 'spaceship' HQ will reportedly cost $5B <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57577903-37/apples-planned-spaceship-h q-will-reportedly-cost-$5b/> On 13-04-04 12:18, Fred Moore wrote: > Traditional investment wisdom says that when a company has enough spare > cash to dump big bucks on a corporate headquarters, the party's over. Remember that this is a campus, not just the round building. That c...

On Apple.com now
<http://www.apple.com/imac/> ----- The new iMacs. Faster. Bigger. Brighter. ----- Well... that is what it says! -- Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. --Aldous Huxley ...

Why Apple Maps now?
<http://daringfireball.net/2012/09/get_the_fainting_chair> "We�re supposed to believe Google was surprised that Apple chose #3? Ask yourself this: Were you surprised Apple chose #3? This option came with a now-well-known price: the accuracy and comprehensiveness of the underlying cartographic data. But all three of those options came with a heavy price. #1 meant iOS Maps would spend an entire year falling further behind all of Apple�s competitors. #2 would grant Google � now Apple�s archrival � more branding, more control, and more access to user data on Apple�s pla...

Now Apple Patents the Wedge
Well, "good luck to them" I say - though Dell could be in trouble, along with several other manufacturers! http://preview.tinyurl.com/89gqcw7 After swilling some grog, bbgruff belched this bit o' wisdom: > Well, "good luck to them" I say - though Dell could be in trouble, along > with several other manufacturers! > > http://preview.tinyurl.com/89gqcw7 It's another shape patent? Throw it out. "Hadron"? Throw him out: -- You are such a twit Ahlstrom. Its desktop linux being discussed here most times. You know NOTHING a...

Apple makes a netbook now....
Suddenly netbooks are the GREATEST thing evar!!!! 10.5 screens sucked until magic unicorn dust was sprinkled on them!!!! What amazing and mother fucking innovation. Apple is clearly the first one to get the netbook "right". On 10/20/10 6:06 PM, MuahMan wrote: > Suddenly netbooks are the GREATEST thing evar! 10.5 screens sucked > until magic unicorn dust was sprinkled on them! What amazing and > mother fucking innovation. Apple is clearly the first one to get the > netbook "right." Don't let your jealousy make you shit your frilly pink panties. ...

Apple now worth more than Dell
Apple: $ 72,132,428,843 Dell: $ 71,970,702,760 How do you like them Apples, Michael? Wintrolls: 0 Apple: 1 Q.E.D. Chu -- chuenginsberg at mac dot com Chu-En Ginsberg <nospam@nospamhere.comINVALID> wrote: > Apple: $ 72,132,428,843 > Dell: $ 71,970,702,760 > > How do you like them Apples, Michael? > > Wintrolls: 0 > Apple: 1 > > Q.E.D. > > Chu yep! next up is HP.... 90.52B and should happen by the end of the year... sell the kids, buy apple stock :) On 2006-01-13 16:10:22 -0800, Chu-En Ginsberg <nospam@nospamhere.comINVALID> said: ...

Apple now more valuable than Disney
The ride has just begun, but a fairly major milestone has been achieved. Apple is now worth $1 Billion more than Disney, and should surpass DeLL within the next 12 months. Apple 51.00B Disney 49.77B DeLL 71.06B HP 82.14B --- Oxford wrote: > The ride has just begun, but a fairly major milestone has been achieved. > > Apple is now worth $1 Billion more than Disney, and should surpass DeLL > within the next 12 months. > > Apple 51.00B > > Disney 49.77B > > DeLL 71.06B > > HP 82.14B > > --- Let us know when Apple surpasses the value of all Wi...

Microsoft now fears Apple
Fri, 08/01/2008 - 11:14 � Andy Space Microsoft is running scared at Apple's resurgence, and now warns shareholders that the Steve Jobs-led company could be a threat to Redmond's business. Proof positive of the new fear in at Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer's HQ is contained within the company's recently-filed Form 10-K. This time around, Microsoft has introduced a new risk factor that has never been there before - and while the company fails to name the company that threatens it, you can draw your own conclusions. �A competing vertically-integrated model, in which a single...

Apple Is Now Dell, Jr. !
This is shocking. Now you can buy a "Mac" but run Windows on it! http://yahoo.reuters.com/stocks/QuoteCompanyNewsArticle.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20060405:MTFH76975_2006-04-05_15-53-27_N05382203&symbol=AAPL.O&rpc=44 "By enabling the move to Windows, the world's No. 1 operating system, Apple hopes to win over people who want Macs, considered by many as easier to use and more stylish, but prefer the Windows operating system." -- Get the new http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com content from Texeme Textcasting Technology John Bailo wrote: &g...

Third party products for Apple
Something I've thought about for a long time is the amount of third party support Apple recieves with their products. For a 3% marketshare company, they seem to have a lot of companies that trust and want to support them. http://willowdesign.com/NL-39.html That's a carrying bag for the 20" iMac. It's a really stupid idea but this company must feel that there are buyers for this bag (and I'm sure there is). When was the last time you saw a carrying case specifically designed for a Dell desktop model? I know I haven't. And think about all the accesories that the ...

Wudsn now supports Apple //
http://www.wudsn.com/ What is it? (from the site) WUDSN IDE combines the powerful capabilities of Eclipse with the speed of n= ative 6502 cross compilers.=20 (my assessment) It is an incredible combination of tools for developing 8-bit 6502 programs= , all wrapped together using Eclipse. You can compile and execute your pro= grams against the target platform all in one pass! Target platforms includ= e Atari, NES, C64 and now Apple ][! I'm excited to see this release come out because, well, it's why I added th= e commandline options to Jace a little while ago. Now,...

Apple Now Worth More Than Google
http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20080813/boom-apple-worth-more-than-google/ ...

Apple Now Worth More Than Google
http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/08/apple_now_worth.html <quote> Apple Now Worth More Than Google At the close of the stock market on Wednesday, Apple's value as a company surpassed Google's. Apple's market capitalization reached $158.84 billion; Google's settled at $157.23 billion. Silicon Valley tech gossip blog Valleywag predicted as much back in November 2007 based on the strong performance of Apple's iPhone and the fact a Google phone was nowhere to be seen. Nine months later, there's still no Google Android phone on the market ...

Apple now more profitable than Microsoft...
....but how will the trolls spin it? "Just about a year ago, when Apple passed Microsoft in market cap, the Redmond loyalists were out in full force: that means nothing � look at the revenues! When Apple passed Microsoft in revenues last October, it was: who cares � look at the profits! We were looking, and we projected that this quarter just ended would be the one in which Apple passed Microsoft in that regard too. Sure enough, they have. Easily. Microsoft has just announced their Q3 2011 results. The numbers appear to be good, beating analysts� expectations. But wit...