But it's "open" so it's good...

....right?

"Motorola's dangled an Android 2.1 upgrade in front of CLIQ XT users for
what seems like forever -- now it's putting away the bait indefinitely.
In a statement released this morning, the company said that despite
months of rigorous testing, the phone will remain on Android 1.5. We
first heard promises of an update in June last year, but Motorola
quickly reneged. In November, its predecessor got an upgrade, but the
CLIQ XT was left hanging. Then in December, the company announced a
delay, citing "additional testing," and when those tests failed to bear
fruit, it just plain gave up. Now CLIQ XT users are stuck with a phone
indefinitely sporting an OS that's three steps behind the most
up-to-date competition, and unfortunately, that's all she wrote --
Motorola shows no signs of pursuing another upgrade anytime soon. And
that, friends, is your cue to pick up a handset made by HTC and situated
on Verizon Wireless."

<http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/03/cliq-xt-wont-get-android-2-1-upgrade-
motorolas-word-as-good-a/>

But it's all made OK...

....because what users would be frightened of going into the terminal
(assuming they can figure out how), and typing:

�mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u
git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make�

....right?

LOL

--
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone

On Feb 4, 2:43=A0am, Alan Baker <alangba...@telus.net> wrote:
> ...right?
>
> "Motorola's dangled an Android 2.1 upgrade in front of CLIQ XT users for
> what seems like forever -- now it's putting away the bait indefinitely.
> In a statement released this morning, the company said that despite
> months of rigorous testing, the phone will remain on Android 1.5. We
> first heard promises of an update in June last year, but Motorola
> quickly reneged. In November, its predecessor got an upgrade, but the
> CLIQ XT was left hanging. Then in December, the company announced a
> delay, citing "additional testing," and when those tests failed to bear
> fruit, it just plain gave up. Now CLIQ XT users are stuck with a phone
> indefinitely sporting an OS that's three steps behind the most
> up-to-date competition, and unfortunately, that's all she wrote --
> Motorola shows no signs of pursuing another upgrade anytime soon. And
> that, friends, is your cue to pick up a handset made by HTC and situated
> on Verizon Wireless."
>
> <http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/03/cliq-xt-wont-get-android-2-1-upgrade-
> motorolas-word-as-good-a/>
>
> But it's all made OK...
>
> ...because what users would be frightened of going into the terminal
> (assuming they can figure out how), and typing:
>
> mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u
> git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make
>
> ...right?
>
> LOL
>
> --
> "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" -=
-
> "I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone
> "It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Uni=
x with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin =
on Mac OS X)
> '[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
> 'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
> IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
> 'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not include=
> on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun)

Poor Alan, his weirdo strange love for a company, has left him a void
and an angry man. He must hate, Microsoft, Samsung, Amazon, Google,
Motorola, HTC, Dell, HP.......

What a sad pathetic life it must be to an Apphole.
0
MuahMan
2/4/2011 2:25:24 PM
On Feb 3, 11:43=A0pm, Alan Baker <alangba...@telus.net> wrote:
> ...right?
>
> "Motorola's dangled an Android 2.1 upgrade in front of CLIQ XT users for
> what seems like forever -- now it's putting away the bait indefinitely.
> In a statement released this morning, the company said that despite
> months of rigorous testing, the phone will remain on Android 1.5. We
> first heard promises of an update in June last year, but Motorola
> quickly reneged. In November, its predecessor got an upgrade, but the
> CLIQ XT was left hanging. Then in December, the company announced a
> delay, citing "additional testing," and when those tests failed to bear
> fruit, it just plain gave up. Now CLIQ XT users are stuck with a phone
> indefinitely sporting an OS that's three steps behind the most
> up-to-date competition, and unfortunately, that's all she wrote --
> Motorola shows no signs of pursuing another upgrade anytime soon. And
> that, friends, is your cue to pick up a handset made by HTC and situated
> on Verizon Wireless."
>
> <http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/03/cliq-xt-wont-get-android-2-1-upgrade-
> motorolas-word-as-good-a/>
>
> But it's all made OK...
>
> ...because what users would be frightened of going into the terminal
> (assuming they can figure out how), and typing:
>
> mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u
> git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make
>
> ...right?

yep, because that involves building repo and git as a prerequisite
and having the rest of gcc toolchain for make to work i guess

repo init -u
-bash: repo: command not found
0
AD
2/4/2011 4:30:02 PM
In article
<97cea900-2ffa-4040-81d7-898cff3b5b0d@y31g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
 MuahMan <muahman@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2:43�am, Alan Baker <alangba...@telus.net> wrote:
> > ...right?
> >
> > "Motorola's dangled an Android 2.1 upgrade in front of CLIQ XT users for
> > what seems like forever -- now it's putting away the bait indefinitely.
> > In a statement released this morning, the company said that despite
> > months of rigorous testing, the phone will remain on Android 1.5. We
> > first heard promises of an update in June last year, but Motorola
> > quickly reneged. In November, its predecessor got an upgrade, but the
> > CLIQ XT was left hanging. Then in December, the company announced a
> > delay, citing "additional testing," and when those tests failed to bear
> > fruit, it just plain gave up. Now CLIQ XT users are stuck with a phone
> > indefinitely sporting an OS that's three steps behind the most
> > up-to-date competition, and unfortunately, that's all she wrote --
> > Motorola shows no signs of pursuing another upgrade anytime soon. And
> > that, friends, is your cue to pick up a handset made by HTC and situated
> > on Verizon Wireless."
> >
> > <http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/03/cliq-xt-wont-get-android-2-1-upgrade-
> > motorolas-word-as-good-a/>
> >
> > But it's all made OK...
> >
> > ...because what users would be frightened of going into the terminal
> > (assuming they can figure out how), and typing:
> >
> > mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u
> > git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make
> >
> > ...right?
> >
> > LOL
> >
> Poor Alan, his weirdo strange love for a company, has left him a void
> and an angry man. He must hate, Microsoft, Samsung, Amazon, Google,
> Motorola, HTC, Dell, HP.......
>
> What a sad pathetic life it must be to an Apphole.

LOL

--
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone
"It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X)
'[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included
on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun)
0
Alan
2/4/2011 6:27:19 PM

"MuahMan"  wrote in message

On Feb 4, 2:43 am, Alan Baker <alangba...@telus.net> wrote:
> ...right?
>
> "Motorola's dangled an Android 2.1 upgrade in front of CLIQ XT users for
> what seems like forever -- now it's putting away the bait indefinitely.
> In a statement released this morning, the company said that despite
> months of rigorous testing, the phone will remain on Android 1.5. We
> first heard promises of an update in June last year, but Motorola
> quickly reneged. In November, its predecessor got an upgrade, but the
> CLIQ XT was left hanging. Then in December, the company announced a
> delay, citing "additional testing," and when those tests failed to bear
> fruit, it just plain gave up. Now CLIQ XT users are stuck with a phone
> indefinitely sporting an OS that's three steps behind the most
> up-to-date competition, and unfortunately, that's all she wrote --
> Motorola shows no signs of pursuing another upgrade anytime soon. And
> that, friends, is your cue to pick up a handset made by HTC and situated
> on Verizon Wireless."
>
> <http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/03/cliq-xt-wont-get-android-2-1-upgrade-
> motorolas-word-as-good-a/>
>
> But it's all made OK...
>
> ...because what users would be frightened of going into the terminal
> (assuming they can figure out how), and typing:
>
> mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u
> git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make
>
> ...right?
>
> LOL
>
> --
> "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
> "I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone
> "It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix
> with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin
> on Mac OS X)
> '[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
> 'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
> IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
> 'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included
> on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun)

>Poor Alan, his weirdo strange love for a company, has left him a void
>and an angry man. He must hate, Microsoft, Samsung, Amazon, Google,
>Motorola, HTC, Dell, HP.......

>What a sad pathetic life it must be to an Apphole.

Notice how they're all nothings and nobodies?  Little grey, nondescript,
creepy people who have only Apple.

0
Redjak
2/4/2011 9:52:46 PM
In article <iihsf9$q38$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
 "Redjak" <redjackson@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "MuahMan"  wrote in message
>
> On Feb 4, 2:43 am, Alan Baker <alangba...@telus.net> wrote:
> > ...right?
> >
> > "Motorola's dangled an Android 2.1 upgrade in front of CLIQ XT users for
> > what seems like forever -- now it's putting away the bait indefinitely.
> > In a statement released this morning, the company said that despite
> > months of rigorous testing, the phone will remain on Android 1.5. We
> > first heard promises of an update in June last year, but Motorola
> > quickly reneged. In November, its predecessor got an upgrade, but the
> > CLIQ XT was left hanging. Then in December, the company announced a
> > delay, citing "additional testing," and when those tests failed to bear
> > fruit, it just plain gave up. Now CLIQ XT users are stuck with a phone
> > indefinitely sporting an OS that's three steps behind the most
> > up-to-date competition, and unfortunately, that's all she wrote --
> > Motorola shows no signs of pursuing another upgrade anytime soon. And
> > that, friends, is your cue to pick up a handset made by HTC and situated
> > on Verizon Wireless."
> >
> > <http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/03/cliq-xt-wont-get-android-2-1-upgrade-
> > motorolas-word-as-good-a/>
> >
> > But it's all made OK...
> >
> > ...because what users would be frightened of going into the terminal
> > (assuming they can figure out how), and typing:
> >
> > mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u
> > git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make
> >
> > ...right?
> >
> > LOL
> >

> >Poor Alan, his weirdo strange love for a company, has left him a void
> >and an angry man. He must hate, Microsoft, Samsung, Amazon, Google,
> >Motorola, HTC, Dell, HP.......
>
> >What a sad pathetic life it must be to an Apphole.
>
> Notice how they're all nothings and nobodies?  Little grey, nondescript,
> creepy people who have only Apple.

I know, I know...

....and you and Pratt-fall are both ultra-wealthy.

LOL

--
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone
"It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X)
'[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included
on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun)
0
Alan
2/4/2011 9:59:26 PM

"Alan Baker"  wrote in message

In article <iihsf9$q38$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
"Redjak" <redjackson@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "MuahMan"  wrote in message
>
> On Feb 4, 2:43 am, Alan Baker <alangba...@telus.net> wrote:
> > ...right?
> >
> > "Motorola's dangled an Android 2.1 upgrade in front of CLIQ XT users for
> > what seems like forever -- now it's putting away the bait indefinitely.
> > In a statement released this morning, the company said that despite
> > months of rigorous testing, the phone will remain on Android 1.5. We
> > first heard promises of an update in June last year, but Motorola
> > quickly reneged. In November, its predecessor got an upgrade, but the
> > CLIQ XT was left hanging. Then in December, the company announced a
> > delay, citing "additional testing," and when those tests failed to bear
> > fruit, it just plain gave up. Now CLIQ XT users are stuck with a phone
> > indefinitely sporting an OS that's three steps behind the most
> > up-to-date competition, and unfortunately, that's all she wrote --
> > Motorola shows no signs of pursuing another upgrade anytime soon. And
> > that, friends, is your cue to pick up a handset made by HTC and situated
> > on Verizon Wireless."
> >
> > <http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/03/cliq-xt-wont-get-android-2-1-upgrade-
> > motorolas-word-as-good-a/>
> >
> > But it's all made OK...
> >
> > ...because what users would be frightened of going into the terminal
> > (assuming they can figure out how), and typing:
> >
> > mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u
> > git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make
> >
> > ...right?
> >
> > LOL
> >

> >Poor Alan, his weirdo strange love for a company, has left him a void
> >and an angry man. He must hate, Microsoft, Samsung, Amazon, Google,
> >Motorola, HTC, Dell, HP.......
>
> >What a sad pathetic life it must be to an Apphole.
>
> Notice how they're all nothings and nobodies?  Little grey, nondescript,
> creepy people who have only Apple.

>I know, I know...

>...and you and Pratt-fall are both ultra-wealthy.

It's relative.  To you we're "ultra- wealthy".  To our friends we are simply
"wealthy".

--
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone
"It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix
with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on
Mac OS X)
'[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included
on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun)

0
Redjak
2/4/2011 11:27:12 PM
"Alan Baker" <alangbaker@telus.net> wrote in message
> ...right?
>
> "Motorola's dangled an Android 2.1 upgrade in front of CLIQ XT users for
> what seems like forever -- now it's putting away the bait indefinitely.
> In a statement released this morning, the company said that despite
> months of rigorous testing, the phone will remain on Android 1.5. We
> first heard promises of an update in June last year, but Motorola
> quickly reneged. In November, its predecessor got an upgrade, but the
> CLIQ XT was left hanging. Then in December, the company announced a
> delay, citing "additional testing," and when those tests failed to bear
> fruit, it just plain gave up. Now CLIQ XT users are stuck with a phone
> indefinitely sporting an OS that's three steps behind the most
> up-to-date competition, and unfortunately, that's all she wrote --
> Motorola shows no signs of pursuing another upgrade anytime soon. And
> that, friends, is your cue to pick up a handset made by HTC and situated
> on Verizon Wireless."
>
> <http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/03/cliq-xt-wont-get-android-2-1-upgrade-
> motorolas-word-as-good-a/>
>
> But it's all made OK...
>
> ...because what users would be frightened of going into the terminal
> (assuming they can figure out how), and typing:
>
> �mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u
> git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make�
>
> ...right?
>
> LOL

Your post begs many questions:

Why did so many people buy Cliq XT instead of iPhones?

Why aren't they switching to iPhones instead of waiting for Android 2.1?

Why not just upgrade to the Motorola Droid X (which comes with Android 2.1)
instead of trying to upgrade an old phone?

Why are you so happy about delays for the Cliq XT upgrade when you don't
even own an iPhone yourself?

How did Motorola become your enemy?

0
Clavicus
2/5/2011 12:07:49 AM
On Feb 4, 6:27=A0pm, "Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Alan Baker" =A0wrote in message

> In article <iihsf9$q3...@news.eternal-september.org>,
>

> "Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > "MuahMan" =A0wrote in message
..

> > On Feb 4, 2:43 am, Alan Baker <alangba...@telus.net> wrote:
> > > ...right?
>
> > > "Motorola's dangled an Android 2.1 upgrade in front of CLIQ XT users =
for
> > > what seems like forever -- now it's putting away the bait indefinitel=
y.
> > > In a statement released this morning, the company said that despite
> > > months of rigorous testing, the phone will remain on Android 1.5. We
> > > first heard promises of an update in June last year, but Motorola
> > > quickly reneged. In November, its predecessor got an upgrade, but the
> > > CLIQ XT was left hanging. Then in December, the company announced a
> > > delay, citing "additional testing," and when those tests failed to be=
ar
> > > fruit, it just plain gave up. Now CLIQ XT users are stuck with a phon=
> > > indefinitely sporting an OS that's three steps behind the most
> > > up-to-date competition, and unfortunately, that's all she wrote --
> > > Motorola shows no signs of pursuing another upgrade anytime soon. And
> > > that, friends, is your cue to pick up a handset made by HTC and situa=
ted
> > > on Verizon Wireless."
>
> > > <http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/03/cliq-xt-wont-get-android-2-1-upgr=
ade-
> > > motorolas-word-as-good-a/>
>
> > > But it's all made OK...
>
> > > ...because what users would be frightened of going into the terminal
> > > (assuming they can figure out how), and typing:
>
> > > mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u
> > > git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make
>
> > > ...right?
>
> > > LOL
>
> > >Poor Alan, his weirdo strange love for a company, has left him a void
> > >and an angry man. He must hate, Microsoft, Samsung, Amazon, Google,
> > >Motorola, HTC, Dell, HP.......
>
> > >What a sad pathetic life it must be to an Apphole.
>
> > Notice how they're all nothings and nobodies? =A0Little grey, nondescri=
pt,
> > creepy people who have only Apple.
> >I know, I know...
> >...and you and Pratt-fall are both ultra-wealthy.
>
> It's relative... =A0To our friends we are simply "wealthy".

There's been photos posted of your friends....which clearly gages that
"relative" scale:

<http://web.ncf.ca/ek867/saarto.underpass.jpg>

-hh
0
hh
2/5/2011 12:15:12 AM
In article <iii20b$deh$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
 "Redjak" <redjackson@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > >Poor Alan, his weirdo strange love for a company, has left him a void
> > >and an angry man. He must hate, Microsoft, Samsung, Amazon, Google,
> > >Motorola, HTC, Dell, HP.......
> >
> > >What a sad pathetic life it must be to an Apphole.
> >
> > Notice how they're all nothings and nobodies?  Little grey, nondescript,
> > creepy people who have only Apple.
>
> >I know, I know...
>
> >...and you and Pratt-fall are both ultra-wealthy.
>
> It's relative.  To you we're "ultra- wealthy".  To our friends we are simply
> "wealthy".
>
> >LOL

Riiiiiiight

LOL

--
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone
"It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X)
'[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included
on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun)
0
Alan
2/5/2011 1:11:38 AM
In article <iii4cm$91h$1@news.albasani.net>,
 "Clavicus Vile" <clavicus.vile@oblivion.org> wrote:

> "Alan Baker" <alangbaker@telus.net> wrote in message
> > ...right?
> >
> > "Motorola's dangled an Android 2.1 upgrade in front of CLIQ XT users for
> > what seems like forever -- now it's putting away the bait indefinitely.
> > In a statement released this morning, the company said that despite
> > months of rigorous testing, the phone will remain on Android 1.5. We
> > first heard promises of an update in June last year, but Motorola
> > quickly reneged. In November, its predecessor got an upgrade, but the
> > CLIQ XT was left hanging. Then in December, the company announced a
> > delay, citing "additional testing," and when those tests failed to bear
> > fruit, it just plain gave up. Now CLIQ XT users are stuck with a phone
> > indefinitely sporting an OS that's three steps behind the most
> > up-to-date competition, and unfortunately, that's all she wrote --
> > Motorola shows no signs of pursuing another upgrade anytime soon. And
> > that, friends, is your cue to pick up a handset made by HTC and situated
> > on Verizon Wireless."
> >
> > <http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/03/cliq-xt-wont-get-android-2-1-upgrade-
> > motorolas-word-as-good-a/>
> >
> > But it's all made OK...
> >
> > ...because what users would be frightened of going into the terminal
> > (assuming they can figure out how), and typing:
> >
> > �mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u
> > git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make�
> >
> > ...right?
> >
> > LOL
>
> Your post begs many questions:
>
> Why did so many people buy Cliq XT instead of iPhones?

It was available on networks that the iPhone wasn't?

> Why aren't they switching to iPhones instead of waiting for Android 2.1?

They are. Haven't you read about Verizon's iPhone sales setting all-time
first-day records for them.

> Why not just upgrade to the Motorola Droid X (which comes with Android 2.1)
> instead of trying to upgrade an old phone?

I'm just pointing out that this "openness" about which so much touting
has been done doesn't appear to be helping the Cliq XT customers.

> Why are you so happy about delays for the Cliq XT upgrade when you don't
> even own an iPhone yourself?

I'm not happy about it.

> How did Motorola become your enemy?

LOL

--
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone
"It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X)
'[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included
on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun)
0
Alan
2/5/2011 1:13:42 AM

"-hh"  wrote in message

On Feb 4, 6:27 pm, "Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Alan Baker"  wrote in message

> In article <iihsf9$q3...@news.eternal-september.org>,
>

> "Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > "MuahMan"  wrote in message
>
> > On Feb 4, 2:43 am, Alan Baker <alangba...@telus.net> wrote:
> > > ...right?
>
> > > "Motorola's dangled an Android 2.1 upgrade in front of CLIQ XT users
> > > for
> > > what seems like forever -- now it's putting away the bait
> > > indefinitely.
> > > In a statement released this morning, the company said that despite
> > > months of rigorous testing, the phone will remain on Android 1.5. We
> > > first heard promises of an update in June last year, but Motorola
> > > quickly reneged. In November, its predecessor got an upgrade, but the
> > > CLIQ XT was left hanging. Then in December, the company announced a
> > > delay, citing "additional testing," and when those tests failed to
> > > bear
> > > fruit, it just plain gave up. Now CLIQ XT users are stuck with a phone
> > > indefinitely sporting an OS that's three steps behind the most
> > > up-to-date competition, and unfortunately, that's all she wrote --
> > > Motorola shows no signs of pursuing another upgrade anytime soon. And
> > > that, friends, is your cue to pick up a handset made by HTC and
> > > situated
> > > on Verizon Wireless."
>
> > > <http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/03/cliq-xt-wont-get-android-2-1-upgrade-
> > > motorolas-word-as-good-a/>
>
> > > But it's all made OK...
>
> > > ...because what users would be frightened of going into the terminal
> > > (assuming they can figure out how), and typing:
>
> > > mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u
> > > git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make
>
> > > ...right?
>
> > > LOL
>
> > >Poor Alan, his weirdo strange love for a company, has left him a void
> > >and an angry man. He must hate, Microsoft, Samsung, Amazon, Google,
> > >Motorola, HTC, Dell, HP.......
>
> > >What a sad pathetic life it must be to an Apphole.
>
> > Notice how they're all nothings and nobodies?  Little grey, nondescript,
> > creepy people who have only Apple.
> >I know, I know...
> >...and you and Pratt-fall are both ultra-wealthy.
>
> It's relative...  To our friends we are simply "wealthy".

>There's been photos posted of your friends....which clearly gages that
>"relative" scale:

><http://web.ncf.ca/ek867/saarto.underpass.jpg>

Is that your home?

-hh

0
Redjak
2/5/2011 3:16:37 AM

"Clavicus Vile"  wrote in message news:iii4cm$91h$1@news.albasani.net...

"Alan Baker" <alangbaker@telus.net> wrote in message
> ...right?
>
> "Motorola's dangled an Android 2.1 upgrade in front of CLIQ XT users for
> what seems like forever -- now it's putting away the bait indefinitely.
> In a statement released this morning, the company said that despite
> months of rigorous testing, the phone will remain on Android 1.5. We
> first heard promises of an update in June last year, but Motorola
> quickly reneged. In November, its predecessor got an upgrade, but the
> CLIQ XT was left hanging. Then in December, the company announced a
> delay, citing "additional testing," and when those tests failed to bear
> fruit, it just plain gave up. Now CLIQ XT users are stuck with a phone
> indefinitely sporting an OS that's three steps behind the most
> up-to-date competition, and unfortunately, that's all she wrote --
> Motorola shows no signs of pursuing another upgrade anytime soon. And
> that, friends, is your cue to pick up a handset made by HTC and situated
> on Verizon Wireless."
>
> <http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/03/cliq-xt-wont-get-android-2-1-upgrade-
> motorolas-word-as-good-a/>
>
> But it's all made OK...
>
> ...because what users would be frightened of going into the terminal
> (assuming they can figure out how), and typing:
>
> �mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u
> git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make�
>
> ...right?
>
> LOL

>Your post begs many questions:

>Why did so many people buy Cliq XT instead of iPhones?

>Why aren't they switching to iPhones instead of waiting for Android 2.1?

>Why not just upgrade to the Motorola Droid X (which comes with Android 2.1)
>instead of trying to upgrade an old phone?

>Why are you so happy about delays for the Cliq XT upgrade when you don't
>even own an iPhone yourself?

>How did Motorola become your enemy?

It's the reverse of,  "the enemies of my enemy are my friends"

0
Redjak
2/5/2011 3:19:44 AM
> In article <iii4cm$91h$1@news.albasani.net>,
> "Clavicus Vile" <clavicus.vile@oblivion.org> wrote:
>
>> "Alan Baker" <alangbaker@telus.net> wrote in message
>> > ...right?
>> >
>> > "Motorola's dangled an Android 2.1 upgrade in front of CLIQ XT users
>> > for
>> > what seems like forever -- now it's putting away the bait indefinitely.
>> > In a statement released this morning, the company said that despite
>> > months of rigorous testing, the phone will remain on Android 1.5. We
>> > first heard promises of an update in June last year, but Motorola
>> > quickly reneged. In November, its predecessor got an upgrade, but the
>> > CLIQ XT was left hanging. Then in December, the company announced a
>> > delay, citing "additional testing," and when those tests failed to bear
>> > fruit, it just plain gave up. Now CLIQ XT users are stuck with a phone
>> > indefinitely sporting an OS that's three steps behind the most
>> > up-to-date competition, and unfortunately, that's all she wrote --
>> > Motorola shows no signs of pursuing another upgrade anytime soon. And
>> > that, friends, is your cue to pick up a handset made by HTC and
>> > situated
>> > on Verizon Wireless."
>> >
>> > <http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/03/cliq-xt-wont-get-android-2-1-upgrade-
>> > motorolas-word-as-good-a/>
>> >
>> > But it's all made OK...
>> >
>> > ...because what users would be frightened of going into the terminal
>> > (assuming they can figure out how), and typing:
>> >
>> > �mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u
>> > git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make�
>> >
>> > ...right?
>> >
>> > LOL
>>
>> Your post begs many questions:
>>
>> Why did so many people buy Cliq XT instead of iPhones?
>
> It was available on networks that the iPhone wasn't?

You have some sort of proof that's why people bought Cliq XT?

>> Why aren't they switching to iPhones instead of waiting for Android 2.1?
>
> They are. Haven't you read about Verizon's iPhone sales setting all-time
> first-day records for them.

You have some sort of proof the people who bought iPhones switched from the
Cliq XT?   Be sure to include an explanation of why they're complaining
about not getting an Android upgrade if they're switching to iPhone.

>> Why not just upgrade to the Motorola Droid X (which comes with Android
>> 2.1)
>> instead of trying to upgrade an old phone?
>
> I'm just pointing out that this "openness" about which so much touting
> has been done doesn't appear to be helping the Cliq XT customers.

You built yet another straw man.

>> Why are you so happy about delays for the Cliq XT upgrade when you don't
>> even own an iPhone yourself?
>
> I'm not happy about it.

Sure you are.   You're crowing with joy over it.

>> How did Motorola become your enemy?
>
> LOL

Can't think of any sane reply, Edwin?

0
Clavicus
2/8/2011 11:45:03 PM
In article <iiski2$2n8$1@news.albasani.net>,
 "Clavicus Vile" <clavicus.vile@oblivion.org> wrote:

> "Alan Baker" <alangbaker@telus.net> wrote in message
> > In article <iii4cm$91h$1@news.albasani.net>,
> > "Clavicus Vile" <clavicus.vile@oblivion.org> wrote:
> >
> >> "Alan Baker" <alangbaker@telus.net> wrote in message

> >> Your post begs many questions:
> >>
> >> Why did so many people buy Cliq XT instead of iPhones?
> >
> > It was available on networks that the iPhone wasn't?
>
> You have some sort of proof that's why people bought Cliq XT?

You have some sort of proof that wasn't a reason?

> >> Why aren't they switching to iPhones instead of waiting for Android 2.1?
> >
> > They are. Haven't you read about Verizon's iPhone sales setting all-time
> > first-day records for them.
>
> You have some sort of proof the people who bought iPhones switched from the
> Cliq XT?   Be sure to include an explanation of why they're complaining
> about not getting an Android upgrade if they're switching to iPhone.

LOL

> >> Why not just upgrade to the Motorola Droid X (which comes with Android
> >> 2.1)
> >> instead of trying to upgrade an old phone?
> >
> > I'm just pointing out that this "openness" about which so much touting
> > has been done doesn't appear to be helping the Cliq XT customers.
>
> You built yet another straw man.

Nope. You and the other trolls have been touting how wonderful this
"open" platform is.

Well it isn't for Cliq XT customers.

> >> Why are you so happy about delays for the Cliq XT upgrade when you don't
> >> even own an iPhone yourself?
> >
> > I'm not happy about it.
>
> Sure you are.   You're crowing with joy over it.

Nope. Sorry.

> >> How did Motorola become your enemy?
> >
> > LOL
>
> Can't think of any sane reply, Edwin?

I can't think of anything that needs to be said beyond the fact that you
gave me a laugh.