Command Delete.... doesn't delete a file on OS X

Nope I was lied to yet again. Hitting command delete absolutely DOES
NOT delete a file. The only way to delete a file via the keyboard on a
Mac is to hit Command Backspace.  That makes NO sense whatsover. Can
you remap the keys at least on this unintuitive POS?
0
muahman (3479)

In article
<18230305-3c4e-4f15-907e-7b1df298e7e0@k30g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
 MuahMan <muahman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nope I was lied to yet again. Hitting command delete absolutely DOES
> NOT delete a file. The only way to delete a file via the keyboard on a
> Mac is to hit Command Backspace.  That makes NO sense whatsover. Can
> you remap the keys at least on this unintuitive POS?

Zzzzzzz. Is today your day off from your job at Wendy's?
0
iadvocate (1220)

Why doesn't the delete key delete in OS X
Highlight a file in finder. Hit the "Delete" key. Bam! Nothing happens! Delete doesn't actually delete in OS X. How intuitive! In article <a4733d67-a2f4-4f14-8680-0e9f566054de@25g2000hsx.googlegroups.com>, MuahMan <muahman@gmail.com> wrote: > Highlight a file in finder. Hit the "Delete" key. Bam! Nothing > happens! > > Delete doesn't actually delete in OS X. How intuitive! Try using command and delete together next time to delete files, dumbfuck. On Aug 21, 9:06=A0am, Chance Furlong <t-b...@megakatcity.com> wrote: > In article > <a4733d67-a2f4-4f14-8680-0e9f56605...@25g2000hsx.googlegroups.com>, > > =A0MuahMan <muah...@gmail.com> wrote: > > Highlight a file in finder. Hit the "Delete" key. Bam! Nothing > > happens! > > > Delete doesn't actually delete in OS X. How intuitive! > > Try using command and delete together next time to delete files, > dumbfuck. HAHAHA, so delete REALLY isn't delete. What a great OS. Bwhaahahahahaha "Chance Furlong" <t-bone@megakatcity.com> wrote in message news:t-bone-FE2163.08062421082008@unlimited.newshosting.com... > In article > <a4733d67-a2f4-4f14-8680-0e9f566054de@25g2000hsx.googlegroups.com>, > MuahMan <muahman@gmail.com> wrote: > >> Highlight a file in finder. Hit the "Delete" key. Bam! Nothing >> happens! >> >> Delete doesn'...

Mac OS X Mail -- can't move / delete file
All of a sudden, one old email in my inbox is creating havoc. Hangs when Mail tries updating the index, cannot be opened, moved or deleted [no alert, just spinning wheel].... Running 10.2.8. Any advice / direction greatly appreciated. In article <ac04e0.0410101749.2bddff4b@posting.google.com>, dave@acmedesigncompany.net (Dave) wrote: > All of a sudden, one old email in my inbox is creating havoc. Hangs > when Mail tries updating the index, cannot be opened, moved or deleted > [no alert, just spinning wheel].... > > Running 10.2.8. > > Any advice / direction ...

Doesn't File.delete() delete immediately?
Hi, I am discovering that File.delete() does not work the way I expect. I am not sure if what I observe is expected behavior or if not where to look for a problem.In my code I have a method to delete contained empty directories in tempDir. It looks pretty much like this: protected void clear() { File[] leftDirs = tempDir.listFiles(); for (int i = 0; i < leftDirs.length; i++) { boolean deleted=leftDirs[i].delete(); if(!deleted) System.out.println("Can't delete" + leftDirs[i]); } leftDirs = tempDir.listFile...

How can I delete the LDB file...? It didn't delete itself because a remote user didn't do a proper shutdown.
If this is a dumb question, bear in mind I am new to MDB. A customer has approx 6 computers (win9x) connected together. One win98 computer has some shared folders on it's C drive which everyone can access. They call it the server and no one sits at that station. I installed an application on 4 computers and I placed its MDB file on the "server". Whenever I go there, I notice that I can't delete the LDB file, even when everyone shuts down their application and computer. The LDB file appears to contain names of various users. I suspect that they are just turning off their...

How do I delete files over x days old when find doesn't work?
It seems that a directory has grown out of control. This is what happend when I tried to use my script: find /var/tmp/* +60 -exec rm {} \; ksh: /usr/bin/find: arg list too long Any suggestions ? Tsia tsiaq wrote: > It seems that a directory has grown out of control. This is what > happend when I tried to use my script: > > find /var/tmp/* +60 -exec rm {} \; > > > ksh: /usr/bin/find: arg list too long > > Any suggestions ? > > Tsia Try using selective wild cards to reduce the number of files returned, such as: rm a* rm b* rm xyz* You could also run ls -1 > file (that is a one), then edit the file and make a script to delete files. Just use this instead: find /var/tmp -mtime +60 -exec rm {} \; The arg list too long is not caused by the find command, but rather by the fact that you used the wildcard and it is trying to list every file on your command line as an argument to the find. Steve On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 12:29 -0700, tsiaq wrote: > It seems that a directory has grown out of control. This is what > happend when I tried to use my script: > > find /var/tmp/* +60 -exec rm {} \; > > > ksh: /usr/bin/find: arg list too long > > Any suggestions ? find works; rm doesn't. Try xargs: find /var/tmp/* +60 |xargs rm xargs is designed for just this situation. Wil -- Wil Cooley <wcooley@nakedape.cc> Naked Ape Consulting, Ltd. Thanks for all the suggestions! The selective wildcards ...

Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier)
Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier) Nothing can be more frustrating than turning on your Mac only to find that it won't start up. Instead of seeing the Finder, you see a blue or gray screen, an icon of a broken folder, a kernel panic, a flashing question mark, or a computer that just sits there. What can you do? Don't worry. It could be a simple issue that you can fix yourself. Note: This article applies to Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier. Tip: If your computer won't start at all, skip to "You see a blank, gray screen" below. The first step ...

Doesn't it drive you crazy when Mac OS X users don't exit/quit their programs correctly?
They don't use "Quit", but the window's red X button so they have tons of softwares still running in the background. They wonder why their Mac OS X is so slow due to low resources. And yes, I told the users zillions of times about it. They keep thinking Windows. :/ -- "Don't even step on an ant." --Greek /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. ( ) ...

Deleting specific files in Mac OS X 10.5.8's Trash?
Hello. In Windows and Linux/Debian's Gnome v2.30.2, I can highlight specific file(s) to delete from its recycle bin. Can I do the same in Mac OS X 10.5.8's trash? It seems like I have to empty everything or restore the one(s) to keep first before emptying it. Thank you in advance. :) -- "Since the world began, we have never exterminated. We probably shall never exterminate as much as one single insect species. If there was ever an example of an insect we cannot destroy, the fire ant is it." --an entomologist quote mentioned by Leonard Nimoy on In The Search Of: Dead...

Files won't display, directory won't delete, drive won't format
After having a few slow-access problems, I ran a virus scan (McAfee) on my D: drive (second HDD, 15Gb). To my surprise, the scan listed a directory and files which I didn't recognise: I didn't note any full pathnames, but a typical one was something like D:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21... Dd159.zip . I wondered if this was anything to do with the Recycle bin, despite the fact that I'd emptied it immediately before the scan. No viruses were detected, but when I ran an error check I got the message "the scan could not be completed". As a precaution I decided to ba...

Maybe he doesn't think Mac OS X is the greatest OS
but Bill Joy thinks enough of it to use a Mac. "I just got a new Mac with two 2-gigahertz processors, 8 gigabytes of memory, and a half a terabyte of internal disk." <URL:http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.12/billjoy.html?tw=wn_tophead_ 3> -- 'It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix.' "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X) '[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' -- 'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was av...

Q: How Do I Delete A File That Won't Delete?
Silly question I'm sure but this has me a little perplexed. I updated AppleWorks from 6.2.7 to 6.2.9. All went well and it seems to work just fine so I decided to delete the 6.2.7 app. Whenever I attempt to empty the trash, I get the dialog box that says "starting points", "clippings", and "AppleWorks Essentials" are locked and can't be deleted. However, when I find those folders in the AppleWorks folder, they are not locked. In fact, nothing that I can find that is related to AppleWorks is locked. Nothing else in the trash had any problem being deleted....

Delete key still doesn't delete.
I must still be hitting the wrong delete key! LOL Do the two Shift keys do different things also? Baffling! OS X = TERRIBLE On 23/8/08 11:29 AM, in article 97eba1f1-bc50-4211-b199-81506cd90099@k13g2000hse.googlegroups.com, "MuahMan" <muahman@gmail.com> wrote: > I must still be hitting the wrong delete key! LOL Well according to Mayor.... You only have a choice between *two* keys .. Yet you continue to hit the wrong one? DUH! That says a whole lot about you but very little about OS X! <snip> On Aug 23, 3:14=A0am, Wally <Wa...@wally.world.net> wrote: > On 23/8/08 11:29 AM, in article > 97eba1f1-bc50-4211-b199-81506cd90...@k13g2000hse.googlegroups.com, "MuahM= an" > > <muah...@gmail.com> wrote: > > I must still be hitting the wrong delete key! LOL > > Well according to Mayor.... You only have a choice between *two* keys .. = Yet > you continue to hit the wrong one? =A0DUH! > > That says a whole lot about you but very little about OS X! > > <snip> Well neither one deletes a file. They should just take the delete key off the keyboard to save the space since neither of them function. In article <97eba1f1-bc50-4211-b199-81506cd90099@k13g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, MuahMan <muahman@gmail.com> wrote: > I must still be hitting the wrong delete key! LOL > > Do the two Shift keys do different things also? > > Baffling! > > OS X = TERRIBLE Dude, y...

Official: Mac OS X Snow Leopard doesn't support PowerPC Macs
So you understand, macFreaks; http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/06/11/official_mac_os_x_snow_leopard_doesnt_support_powerpc_macs.html Documentation included with copies of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard distributed during Apple's developer conference this week confirms that the next-generation operating system does not presently support Macs with PowerPC processors. In article <LDZ3k.3020$3F5.1282@bignews2.bellsouth.net>, "weedhopper" <Whopper@aol.com> wrote: > So you understand, Mac freaks: I corrected your grammar again. "weedhopper" <Whopper@aol.com> stated in post LDZ3k.3020$3F5.1282@bignews2.bellsouth.net on 6/11/08 4:59 PM: > So you understand, macFreaks; > > http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/06/11/official_mac_os_x_snow_leopard_d > oesnt_support_powerpc_macs.html > > Documentation included with copies of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard distributed > during Apple's developer conference this week confirms that the > next-generation operating system does not presently support Macs with > PowerPC processors. Looking at the features: * Using up to 16 TB of RAM. Irrelevant to PPC computers. * Better use of Intel multi-core CPUs. Irrelevant to PPC computers. * OpenCL: better use of modern GPUs. Irrelevant to PPC computers. * QuickTime X: more codecs and better use of them on modern GPUs. Perhaps would be some benefit to PPC computers. * Support MS Exchange. That would benefi...

wxIE doesn't handle 'enter', 'delete' key, 'control-c' 'control-v' properly
I built the wxIE project from: http://sourceforge.net/projects/wxactivex Which is great, but I can't use the 'delete' key, nor 'enter', nor control-c/control-v in the IE window. Using SPY++ and stepping through the code I see that the keys are being sent to the IE Window so I'm lost as to how to make it work. Has anyone seen oddities like this using wxActiveX? Everything looks right so it's very frustrating... Joe -- View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/wxIE-doesn%27t-handle-%27enter%27%2C-%27delete%27-key%2C-%27control-c%27-%27co...

[Palm T3
Using a Palm Tungsten T3 and a Mac with OS X.4.2 Sync with the Palm Desktop is ok, with DocumentsToGo is mostly ok but there is one file that always comes back although I tried to delete it : - removed it from the sync list of DocumentsToGo - deleted all instances of this file and files with similar names on the Mac (found it at least at 3 places) - deleted it on the Palm Each time I synchronize (even after deleting all possible files on both sides), this file reappears on the Palm and possibly also on the Mac with an incremental number appended (eg. myfile_1.xls). There must be a hidden...

Kill command doesn't delete...
I openly admit that I may not know what I'm doing with Visual Basic, but I have an Excel spreadsheet that contains some VB stuff in it. I copy a file to a new location, and then I would like to delete the original file. When I use the "kill" function, it does not delete the file. It doesn't return any error messages either. I've tested some of the other file operations, and the ones that I've tested appear to be working. Any ideas?, or anything to look for? Thanks... CADman_ks "CADman_ks" <cadman_ks@hotmail.com>'s wil...

How come Mac OS X 10.5's Software Update doesn't show a total time ETA and size?
Hello. I noticed when downloading big updates from Mac OS X 10.5's Software Update, it doesn't show the TOTAL time left and size. It only shows the individual updates (e.g., iTunes). Is there a way to show the totals especially when downloading takes forever? Thank you in advance. :) -- "The foreign policy aim of ants can be summed up as follows: restless aggression, territorial conquest, and genocidal annihilation of neighboring colonies whenever possible. If ants had nuclear weapons, they would probably end the world in a week." --Journey to the Ants, ...

Eudora 5/6: Deleting mail doesn't delete corresponding attachments
Hi, I can't stand it. I upgraded from Eudora 5 to 6 hoping that elementary bugs are out but they aren't :-( I have the problem that always the attachments of received mail stay in my user folder (attachment subdirectory) when I delete the mail (and empty the trash). I do have to go through the attachments folder manually which is a hassle. Any Ideas? I already checked the options but didn' find a real matching option. btw: what are automatic attachments? thanks in advance I just tested this and it worked but of course it may be an anomaly ...ymmv Tools...Options...Attachements...and check "Delete attachments when emptying trash." On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:19:05 +0100, "kaisalow" <webSPAMmasterNOSPAM@skatespots.de> wrote: >Hi, > >I can't stand it. I upgraded from Eudora 5 to 6 hoping that elementary bugs >are out but they aren't :-( > >I have the problem that always the attachments of received mail stay in my >user folder (attachment subdirectory) when I delete the mail (and empty the >trash). >I do have to go through the attachments folder manually which is a hassle. > >Any Ideas? I already checked the options but didn' find a real matching >option. btw: what are automatic attachments? > >thanks in advance > kaisalow <webSPAMmasterNOSPAM@skatespots.de> wrote: > I have the problem that always the attachments of received ma...

Deleting a balanced tag groups from HTML

app doesn't run on all OS X macs
I wrote an app that runs fine on my new powerbook. It also runs fine on some other new powerbooks and the silver G4 towers. However it does not run on two of the older powerbooks that we have. The app just doesn't run. When you double click it you see an outline of a window spread out from it but nothing happens. Does anyone know anything that could cause this? I am new to OS X. I come from a windows and linux background. After figuring out the bundle structure and now this, linux seems more like windows than OS X in the way programs are run. Thanks for any help. Eric <emedlin@clemson.edu> wrote: > I wrote an app that runs fine on my new powerbook. It also runs fine > on some other new powerbooks and the silver G4 towers. However it > does not run on two of the older powerbooks that we have. The app > just doesn't run. When you double click it you see an outline of a > window spread out from it but nothing happens. Does anyone know > anything that could cause this? I am new to OS X. I come from a > windows and linux background. After figuring out the bundle structure > and now this, linux seems more like windows than OS X in the way > programs are run. Thanks for any help. Perhaps you've linked against a library or used a feature that requires a newer system; the older powerbooks have an older system and don't support those features. But that's just a guess. Just look at the Co...

Can't delete IE cookies in OS X?
I can;t seem to be able to delete IE cookies in OS 10.3. I do the Preferences -> Cookies -> select all and delete, but when I restart IE the same cookies are still there. There must be a known way to take care of that? Permissions? TIA Didier -- Didier A Depireux ddepi001@umaryland.edu didier@isr.umd.edu 685 W.Baltimore Str http://neurobiology.umaryland.edu/depireux.htm Anatomy and Neurobiology Phone: 410-706-1272 (off) University of Maryland -1273 (lab) Baltimore MD 21201 USA ...

Need to delete a partition fdisk doesn't understand w/o deleting whole drive
Hi. I have win98 on my primary partition. I want to delete my extended partition. fdisk sees no logical partitions on it, but when I try to delete it, tells me it can't because it contains logical partitions. I have done some research and understand now that this is because that partition is ntfs or something similar that fdisk doesn't understand, as a result of the fact that I used the partitioning tool included in my linux distribution (which I don't currently have available) to set up the partitions. I want to delete the extended partition anyway, but I understand there is no w...

Can't delete file named '0' (zero)
Hi folks, I have a file named 0 (zero) which I cannot delete. Any clues? Thanks Glenn GlennH wrote: > Hi folks, > > I have a file named 0 (zero) which I cannot delete. Any clues? > > Thanks > > Glenn Short term, reformat the disk. Long term, read the disk directly, figure out exactly what's in the directory. Then you should be able to figure out what you need to pass to delete it. Even better, check file names when you create files. Speaking only for myself, Joe Durusau ...

Booting from non-Mac OS X disc doesn't
I'll try this here first, before I wander over into comp.sys.linux land... I've got a retired TiBook that I'd like to set up with Leopard and Linux. The Leopard (or Tiger) part is no problem. Booting from a Linux (for Apple PPC) Live CD, or installer CD/DVD has proven to be out of reach. The machine happily boots any bootable Mac CD/DVD just fine. A Ubuntu 9.04 for PowerPC Live CD isn't seen as a bootable volume. Nor is a Yellowdog Linux 6.2 DVD. (Their checksums are correct, etc.) Not by System Preferences:Startup Disk, not by holding down C during boot, not from Ope...