Comments about Mac -- Rookie to Mac but Oldie to Computers

Hi all,

When OSX was released a couple of years ago, I noticed all the Switch
commercials on TV and on Apple's website.  At that point I'd not
touched a Mac since using the Mac Classics back in high school (early
'90s), but being a Linux guy I thought it'd be interesting to check
OSX out.  The one major fault I saw in Pre OSX Mac's was a lack of a
good command line, but that's no longer any issues with FreeBSD under
Darwin.

So last year when a friend of mine wanted to upgrade to a more
powerful Mac, I took the opportunity to purchase his PowerMac G4 (dual
867/768 Mb/Ram).  It had OSX Jaguar and few add-on apps.  I toyed with
it for a few weeks and basically threw it in a corner rarely using it.
 At that point I had ran Linux exclusively at home for about 3 years,
and I was in love (for lack of a better work) with the Penguin :)

About 6 weeks ago I left for a week vacation to return with a clanking
HD on my Linux box.  Data was okay since I have two HD's mirrored for
data, but the main boot drive (/dev/hda) was hosed.  Instead of
running to the trusty computer shop I normally use, I slid this box
over and connected my Mac.  The friend I bought it from still had some
crap on the box, so using the restore disks I reinstalled Jaguar - and
the love began.

Jaguar installed perfectly, and within about an hour (after updates) I
was up and running.  Afterwards I downloaded Desktop Manager, Fire,
and some other nifty utils from Versiontracker along with Mozilla,
Aqua XChat, plus configured the Mac email app.

After a couple of weeks and talking to folks on IRC I decided to spend
the money for Panther.. where I installed it on a second HD.  I like
the ability to have multiple OS'es on multiple HD's so easily.  No
fubing with boot loaders or MBR's like on the PC.  After Panther was
installed and updates ran, installed some other utils from
Versiontracker plus Fink and X11.  I also bought UT2003 for Mac from
EBay, and the graphics are AWESOME!  Much clearer then they ever were
on PC - and I'm using the same 17" Viewsonic monitor as I did on PC.
hehe

So... speaking as someone who's used the Microsoft OS since MS-DOS
3.3, Windows since 3.1, and Linux since Red Hat 5.0... Mac OSX is by
far the most stable and streamline OS I've seen to date.  You have the
stability of Unix plus awesome application support. I have lots of
apps I'd love to get that I couldn't get for Linux (MS Office,
Photoshop, etc).

Will I continue to use Linux??  Of course.  But the Mac has definately
become my main box for now :)  I only wish Apple would drop the prices
of these suckers a bit more, which IMO is what prevents most from
switching.  If a NICE Mac was available for around $600-$800 I bet
you'd have MANY more folks switching.  I lucked out and got mine used
at a nice price.

Thanks for listening and take care,

- Ringo -
0
rlangly (147)

In article <7d96e89e.0408030704.10f4c3a@posting.google.com>,
 rlangly@gmail.com (Ringo Langly) wrote:

> [...]
> on PC - and I'm using the same 17" Viewsonic monitor as I did on PC.
> hehe
>
> So... speaking as someone who's used the Microsoft OS since MS-DOS
> 3.3, Windows since 3.1, and Linux since Red Hat 5.0... Mac OSX is by
> far the most stable and streamline OS I've seen to date.  You have the
> stability of Unix plus awesome application support. I have lots of
> apps I'd love to get that I couldn't get for Linux (MS Office,
> Photoshop, etc).
>
> Will I continue to use Linux??  Of course.  But the Mac has definately
> become my main box for now :)  I only wish Apple would drop the prices
> of these suckers a bit more, which IMO is what prevents most from
> switching.  If a NICE Mac was available for around $600-$800 I bet
> you'd have MANY more folks switching.  I lucked out and got mine used

Welcome aboard. Your story is typical. Most people who actually try OSX
with an open mind find it far superior to anything else out there and
find that they love it after they get used to the fact that it's
different from Windows or KDE or Gnome.

--
George Graves
------------------

Bush is a poor leader because he isn't very smart.
What's Kerry's excuse gonna be?
0
gmgravesnos (8642)
8/3/2004 4:37:14 PM
> If a NICE Mac was available for around $600-$800 I bet
> you'd have MANY more folks switching.  I lucked out and got mine used
> at a nice price.

They do sell the eMac in that price range. Is it the latest, greatest
hardware out there? Is it the world's most expandible machine? Nah.

Does it do what most home users out there need to do right out of the
box with a minimum of fuss and setup? Yah. Could it last them the 5 or 6
years of useful life they want to get out of it before buying another
one? Yah. It's why iMac gen 1 sold, and why eMac gen (1) sells.

We don't know what price range the september iMacs are going to come in
at, but I've been hearing buzz lately that at least the lowest price one
may not be $1300 this time. I really don't think they will release a 23"
or 30" model, so I doubt they will climb the price ladder.

A single G5 1.6 GHz AIO-LCD unit coming in at $1000 could be the
schweetmeister. Dunno if they can do it.

I still agree, tho, with the advocate semi-consensus that Apple could
round out its CONSUMER lineup with a decent headless machine with an
upgradeable graphics card.
0
seeker1 (389)
8/3/2004 8:08:53 PM
In article <7d96e89e.0408030704.10f4c3a@posting.google.com>, Ringo
Langly <rlangly@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> on PC - and I'm using the same 17" Viewsonic monitor as I did on PC.
> Hehe
>
> So... speaking as someone who has used the Microsoft OS since MS-DOS
> 3.3, Windows since 3.1, and Linux since Red Hat 5.0... Mac OSX is by
> far the most stable and streamline OS I've seen to date.  You have the
> stability of Unix plus awesome application support. I have lots of
> apps I'd love to get that I couldn't get for Linux (MS Office,
> Photoshop, etc).
>
> Will I continue to use Linux??  Of course.  But the Mac has definately
> become my main box for now :)  I only wish Apple would drop the prices
> of these suckers a bit more, which IMO is what prevents most from
> switching.  If a NICE Mac was available for around $600-$800 I bet
> you'd have MANY more folks switching.  I lucked out and got mine used

I wonder what the MS drones will have to say about your positive
experience with OS X...
0
peejster01 (4380)
8/3/2004 11:50:06 PM
"Jim Lee Jr." <peejster01@insightbb.com> wrote in message news:<030820041850560416%peejster01@insightbb.com>...
> In article <7d96e89e.0408030704.10f4c3a@posting.google.com>, Ringo
> Langly <rlangly@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > When OSX was released a couple of years ago, I noticed all the Switch
> > commercials on TV and on Apple's website.  At that point I'd not
> > touched a Mac since using the Mac Classics back in high school (early
> > '90s), but being a Linux guy I thought it'd be interesting to check
> > OSX out.  The one major fault I saw in Pre OSX Macs was a lack of a
> > good command line, but that's no longer any issues with FreeBSD under
> > Darwin.
> >  -- snip --
>
> I wonder what the MS drones will have to say about your positive
> experience with OS X...

Hi everyone...

Thanks for the replies.  I work and hang-out with a wide variety of
computer users, some being Linux, some Windows, and fewer Mac.  One of
my good friends also runs a local computer shop that services Windows
PC, and of course they're gung-ho Windows because it keeps them in a
job :)

Personally I'm totally open minded when it comes to computers, and
I'll admit for years I was against Mac because my thinking was "no
good commandline -- no good OS".  Being a Unix fan since college many
years ago and loving Linux as I do, OSX was a gimme to try out.

After working with Windows for so long, it's really put a bad taste in
my mouth, so moving to Linux a few years ago was awesome!  I found
myself at work on a daily basis wishing I was on Linux over Windows
because it was SO easy to get around and do what I needed to do in
Linux.  With the Mac, it's just as easy with MANY tasks much simpler
(setting-up network printers, configuring network services, etc) over
Linux even.

What I've found is Microsoft assumes EVERY user (even Network Admins)
are dumbasses and they need their hand held through EVERY process.  I
_hate_ wizards and can't stand having to go through MANY screens to
configure something.  Linux on the other hand is totally opposite in
that it assumes you know every detail about your box and are a guru --
which may aren't.  Mac is right in the middle.  Simple enough for
anyone to use and configure yet complex enough so the tweakers can
goto town and do ANYTHING they want.  For lack of a better word --
perfection!  Jobs has outdone himself IMO.

My Windows friends are like Republicans -- NOTHING will change their
mind and they'll never even consider trying Mac.  But the more folks I
show it off to the more they want to play with it.  IF it weren't so
expensive.

Take care,

- Ringo -
0
rlangly (147)

To Mac or not to Mac?

Mac to mac

When is a Mac not a Mac?

change mac address get mac address spoofing mac address find computer by mac address
Mac Address Spoofing Report Victor J. Canny D. Abstract: Mac address can uniquely identifies each node of a network, ISPs and network administrators use mac address to manage their pc users. PC users may want to spoof mac address so that he need not to contact with ISP for a new network interface card (NIC); PC users may want to hide his mac address so that totally hide his information on the internet. Introduction Mac address, short for Media Access Control address, is a hardware address that uniquely identifies each node of a network. It means, in a local area network (LAN) or oth...

Help! iSync mac to mac

It's a Mac, Mac, Mac World
I wonder how the Windows users would like my (ab)normal Microsoft-free world: My business: all Mac, no PCs. My dentist, family physician and urologist are all Mac. No PCs. Went to Sir Speedy today for more bus. cards and some binding: all Mac (no surprise there). My daughter's three new college room mates have emailed her. Two have PowerBooks and one has an eMac. (She has a G5 iMac.) I never even see a PC unless I am at the public library or a store using a Windows POS unit. It never was intentional. I don't scout a place to see what frickin' computer they use. Just happened. Kind of weird. -- Arf! Old CSMAer Nice! At work I'm stuck on Windows, plus at home my roommate and girlfrield both use Windows. Good thing is I have my ibook at work and both my roommate and gf are getting Macs after their Dell's are paid off. They use Mac's at work and see how my PowerMac at home works while their PeeCee's hose daily. They hate Windows now :) So i'm getting there :) Alex "OldCSMAer" <olddog@kennelsINVALID.com> wrote in message news:olddog-F4AC87.15141003082005@newsclstr01.news.prodigy.com... >I wonder how the Windows users would like my (ab)normal Microsoft-free > world: > > My business: all Mac, no PCs. My dentist, family physician and > urologist are all Mac. No PCs. > > Went to Sir Speedy today for more bus. cards and some binding: all Mac > (no surprise there). > > My dau...

bmp-mac, mac and xmms-mac ports
Hello, I can't find these in the ports collections, so i've downloaded and compiled mac and xmms-mac successfully and have confirmed that they work on FreeBSD. I was looking for an APE (Monkey Audio) plug-in for XMMS in the ports collection but wasn't able to find one. I had a bit of trouble with compiling xmms-mac to start off with. The compilation would fail with the following: g++ -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/X11R6/include/xmms -I/usr/local/include/gtk12 -I/usr/local/include/glib12 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -s -O3 -Wall -pedantic -DBUILD_CROSS_PLATFORM -g -O2 -o fileinfo fileinfo.o -Wl,-E -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -lgtk-12 -lgdk-12 -lgmodule-12 -lglib-12 /usr/local/lib/libintl.so /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm -lxmms /usr/lib/libmac.so -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/libgthread-12.so.3: undefined reference to `pthread_cond_timedwait' *** Error code 1 Stop in /usr/home/net147/xmms-mac-0.3.1/src. *** Error code 1 Stop in /usr/home/net147/xmms-mac-0.3.1. *** Error code 1 Stop in /usr/home/net147/xmms-mac-0.3.1. However i've managed to fix this by deleting the extracts files, re-extracting the files again, adding -lpthread to the configure.in file and then running autoconf to regenerate the configure script before compiling. # diff starts here --- configure.in.old Sun Dec 10 14:24:01 2006 +++ configure.in Sun Dec 10 14:24:...

Mac Miail on .mac
I have my own domain name. Is there a way to get msil under .mac to set this as the reply to address. It seems that I am forced to use the @mac address but I could well be missing something. Thanks Colin Countryman wrote: > I have my own domain name. Is there a way to get msil under .mac to set this > as the reply to address. It seems that I am forced to use the @mac address > but I could well be missing something. > > Thanks > Colin Open a new Mail message - press Command-Alt-R to display the Reply-To field. Chu -- chuenginsberg at mac dot com On Sun, 21 Jan 2...

mac to mac connection
Hi, PBG3 400 OS 10.3 I connect a crossover cable between my PB, and other macs running OS9, and can not mount see the other mac on my PB. Have followed the Help, but must be doing something wrong somewhere. I can however see/connect to my PB from the peripheral mac via the Chooser. I have not been able to connect to windoze machines either, but maybe that will rsolve if I can get mac to mac sharing happening. Can someone suggest what I may be overlooking or a relevant site... ? thanks indeed Chris Brown Neurosurgery University of Adelaide In article <400da705$1@yorrell.saard.net>, Chris Brown <cbrown@medicine.adelaide.edu.au> wrote: > Hi, > > > PBG3 400 OS 10.3 > > I connect a crossover cable between my PB, and other macs running OS9, > and can not mount see the other mac on my PB. Have followed the Help, > but must be doing something wrong somewhere. I can however see/connect > to my PB from the peripheral mac via the Chooser. > > I have not been able to connect to windoze machines either, but maybe > that will rsolve if I can get mac to mac sharing happening. > > Can someone suggest what I may be overlooking or a relevant site... ? > > > thanks indeed > > Chris Brown > Neurosurgery > University of Adelaide > Chris, things won't necessarily connect automagically. First, you have to turn on "File Sharing" on both machines. If you have an OS 9 box, when y...

MAC to MAC connectivity
Hi, As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting a number of FPGA based MACs to a dedicated broadcom switch chip. The difficulty with this is that to interface both chips, I need to have two closely coupled and redundant PHY . Is it possible to connect two MAC (SGMII) directly point-to-point, bypassing the PHY completely? Or is it necessary to have at least some PHY functionality, even if it is a point to point link? Kind regards, Stephen Steve wrote: > Hi, > > As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting > a number...

MAC to MAC over Internet
Hi All, First I will tell you that I am not a MAC user or owner so please be patient :) I have a friend who runs a small business and they have two MAC computers in the office that are networked together and share files. The main MAC has approx 20,000 files that they share and update. One of the people will be moving away and they want to be able to connect over the Internet to the main MAC and share the files just like they do in the office today. They need to be able to have the master files on the main MAC in the office and allow the other person to easily access and update the master ...

When is a Mac no longer a Mac?
OK, so Apple's going to go to Intel CPUs. Now Macs are no longer differentiated by a slow clock and superior instruction set--we've got the same hackjob clusterfuck on speed PCs have been using for decades now. And over the last few years Apple's gone away from SCSI, NuBus, ADB, Localtalk, etc. And PCs have picked up USB, dropped floppies, and colored their cases. The hardware's basically merging between the two platforms. On the software side, the classic MacOS is gone, replaced by Unixy stuff. And like it or not, higher up on the UI level lots of Windows-li...

Mac-to-Mac VPN?
Years ago, I set up a Mac network (under OS9) with a VPN router and some software on a remote PowerBook that allowed VPN access. I'm not terribly familiar with OSX yet, but I understand that much of this functionality is now built in. Can anybody steer me in the right direction as far as hardware, software and configuration? Here's the setup I envision: - Small LAN running two Macs and a printer with a DSL connection through a router. - Remote PowerBook connected to the net varyingly with dial-up, DSL (wired), and AirPort. - Use the PowerBook to securely connect to at l...

Mac to MAc Firewire
Hey all Looking for some help. I am trying to use a 6-6pin 1394 cable to connect two iBooks together and transfer some large files. iBook 1 dual USB 'white' iBook OS 9.2 iBook 2 G4 OSx 10.2 I boot iBook 1 into 'target drive' mode and get the firewire icon dancing about the screen then connect it to iBook 2 but the drive does not appear on the desktop. I have tried all combinations of rebooting/ connecting before and after rebooting but nothing seams to work. When the firewire is plugged in the target disk makes a short noise then nothing the host does not appear to react at ...

networking mac to mac???
Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network a ibook running os.9??? possibly to a new imac running osx 5wak <rosscoism@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network a > ibook running os.9??? possibly to a new imac running osx Put an ethernet cable between them, enable tcp/ip and file sharing on one and log on from the other, seems to be what you are asking for? And you do not need a cross-over cable between modern Macs. -- /Jon For contact info, run the following in Terminal: echo 361993718603049801070734...

Mac advocacy again: Springer changes to Mac
Here's a bit of Mac advocacy for the US Independence Day. http://tinyurl.com/68ajad =46rom the article: In a YouTube video, posted below the fold, CEO Mathias D=F6pfner lists four reasons for the change: Most of the company=92s layout work was already being done on Macs Macs are more user friendly than other computers Apple creates the most elegant computers Macs are cheaper to buy and easier to maintain than they were in the past -- Dave Fritzinger Honolulu, HI Dave Fritzinger wrote: > Here's a bit of Mac advocacy for the US Independence Day. > > http://tinyurl.com/68ajad > > From the article: > > In a YouTube video, posted below the fold, CEO Mathias D�pfner lists > four reasons for the change: > > Most of the company�s layout work was already being done on Macs > Macs are more user friendly than other computers > Apple creates the most elegant computers > Macs are cheaper to buy and easier to maintain than they were in the > past > -- > Dave Fritzinger > Honolulu, HI It also said they'll be running OS X, Windows Vista and Windows XP on these machines, so basically they have just added an additonal OS to support. "Apple creates the most elegant computers". Wow, I'm glad he's not the CEO of my company. Steve In article <baidnd-wU5XcKPPVnZ2dnUVZ_hKdnZ2d@giganews.com>, Steve de Mena <steve@stevedemena.com> wrote: > Dave Fritzinger wrote: > > Here's a bit...

Anyone got Mac classic Mac emulation running well on their Intel Mac?
Despite switching to DOSBox and VMware's Fusion with WinXP to handle my classic gaming needs, there are still a bunch of classic MacOS games I'm desperate to run on my Intel Mac. I've tried and failed to get Ballisk and SheepShaver running. Mini vMac runs but has a nasty, nasty habbit of corrupting disk images opened in both it and OSX. *sigh* Has anyone had any sucess? Why is classic Mac emulation so way behind other emulation efforts? With Amiga emulation running it's surprising classic Mac emulation is so far behind :-( TIA, Jamie Kahn Genet -- If you&...

How to crush a Mac with a Windows mac....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1U854LusZg Save yourself 200% On Friday, October 23, 2015 at 3:29:40 PM UTC-4, MuahMan wrote: > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1U854LusZg > > Save yourself 200% https://youtu.be/G1U854LusZg?t=2m41s On 10/23/15 12:29 PM, MuahMan wrote: > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1U854LusZg > > Save yourself 200% > Wow. Please quote where the person doing the testing said it "crushed" anything? He actually seems to say that the iMac is faster than his "Hackintosh", Brian, and once you factor in the pu...

Why are you a Mac User? ( from Mac 360)
http://tinyurl.com/a8yjv "Why are you a Mac user? What makes a Mac a �Mac� and why is it better, in general, than a Windows PC? What�s the reason you went Mac and why doesn�t everyone else? Good questions. Got a good answer? In general, I get asked this question more than any other (except something to do with my name): �Why are you a Mac user?� Or, the nearly as popular, �What�s so special about Macs?� " You can read the article and the answers.... -- Regards, JP "The measure of a man is what he will do while expecting that he will get nothing in return!" "Jim Polaski" <jpolaski@NOSPMync.net> wrote in message news:jpolaski-46F920.18150628112005@comcast.dca.giganews.com... > http://tinyurl.com/a8yjv > > "Why are you a Mac user? What makes a Mac a OMac� and why is it better, > in general, than a Windows PC? Because it costs more, it stands to reason it would be better. > > What�s the reason you went Mac and why doesn�t everyone else? Good > questions. Got a good answer? I like to be different from all the others. > > In general, I get asked this question more than any other (except > something to do with my name): OWhy are you a Mac user?� Or, the nearly > as popular, OWhat�s so special about Macs?� " My computer is like a friend to me it's always there when I need it. Not like people. > > > You can read the article and the answers.... > > -- > Regards, >...

Component Macs (was upmarket macs)
MR_ED_of_Course <OhNoSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:<BBE47A10.28558%OhNoSPAM@pacbell.net>... > >> It was > >> very much an open computer at a time when the trend was to produced closed > >> computers. Of course the original Mac was a major change in direction for > >> Apple, but that was to serve a large market segment. > > > > by modular I meant component-wise modularity, even more than what > > Wintel has to offer. > > > > The G5 is basically a monolithic beast. Good luck upgrading the DVD > > dri...

Media Mac, HTPC Mac
I'm going to write an article in MacWorld about connecting a Mac to your TV in a fashion where mouse and keyboard is not part of the interface. I wanted to see if any of you guys think I've missed anything here, in the basic setup of the article: Hardware Mac mini TV Remote Controls ATI Remote Wonder Keyspan Express / Digital Remote IRTrans (IR Receiver) Apple Remote Salling Clicker Xbox 360 EyeTV EyeHome Software iRed (for IRTrans) Connect360 (for connection to Xbox 360) Menufela (to hide menu bar) Menushade (to dim menubar) Frontends Frontrow EyeTV MediaCentral iTheater Just to mention, it's alpha MythTV Just to mention, it's an advanced setup Focus Settings in the OS Energy saver off Screensaver off Bluetooth auto-connect off Automatic software update oss Auto login Restart at power failure Don't play DVD videos automatically EPG settings for EyeTV in Sweden Background images Applescript/Automator to set up actions such as "Watch DVD". Something I've forgotten? It's going to be a 6-page article, so there is always room for more. :) And for you Windows fans - yes, I know that Windows Media Center does all of the above out of the box. The Mac most certainly isn't there yet, and the headline of the article is probably going to be somethi...

WakeOnLAN Mac to Mac over the net?
My mother's trusty 4+ year old iMac G5 is starting to have heat issues (Northbridge over 180� F with occasional kernel panics), so we've configured it to sleep when not in use. So I wanted to see if I could get Wake On LAN working over the net, but so far haven't had success. The computer is connected directly to a cable modem - no router, and has the OS X firewall turned on. The System Preferences > Energy Saver > Power Adapter > Options > Wake for Ethernet administrator access checkbox is checked. I have an Airport Extreme on my end, which doesn't do any ...

Is .mac and back to my mac on topic?
If it is, I'll post a message about them. -- Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP. Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote: > If it is, I'll post a message about them. LOL! Oh, and IMO, yes. -- <http://designsbymike.net/shop/mac.cgi> Mac and geek T-shirts & gifts <http://designsbymike.net/election.shtml> Election 2008 goods. <http://designsbymike.net/shop/prius.cgi> Prius shirts/bumper stickers <http://designsbymike.net/shop/greet.cgi> Holiday cards with attitude In article <1igqml2.90lqaz1h7auzpN%mikePOST@TOGROUPmacconsult.co...

Office:Mac / Intel Macs
Hi everybody. Please forgive me if this material has been previously covered. However, I would like to get some information from trustworthy sources, and I think this is one place to start. Basically, I am wondering about the performance of Office:Mac on Intel Macs (in Rosetta). Is it responsive? Please let me know how it runs, with as much detail is warranted. I'm considering an Intel Mac, but there's no way I'm going to buy one if I have to use my PowerPC MS Office in emulation that slogs along. Thanks much for your help. Brad wrote: > Hi everybody. > > Please forgive me if this material has been previously covered. > However, I would like to get some information from trustworthy sources, > and I think this is one place to start. > > Basically, I am wondering about the performance of Office:Mac on Intel > Macs (in Rosetta). > > Is it responsive? > > Please let me know how it runs, with as much detail is warranted. I'm > considering an Intel Mac, but there's no way I'm going to buy one if I > have to use my PowerPC MS Office in emulation that slogs along. > > Thanks much for your help. I have Office:Mac 2004 on a MacBook Pro (1.83/15"/1 Gig Ram). Word and Excel seem to work fine, though they are a bit slower launching than they are on my PowerMac G5/2.0 or on my iMac G5/2.0. My only complaint is about PowerPoint. Powerpoint 2004 is much slower on both my G5s than PowerpointX was. This is...

[OT] A Mac emulator for... Mac. ;-)
The Mac on Linux emulator now has a native Mac port of the software. It still isn't as 'user friendly' as typical Mac applications are (i.e. you have to use disk utility to create disk images) and there's no Tiger support yet (either as host or guest), but on the flip side I hear it gets pretty good performance and with support hopefully they can get those usability and Tiger issues fixed. :-) In addition to running Mac OS X, it also allows developers to run Classic Mac OS and PPC Linux under emulation. This also makes me wonder what options would be ava...

Web resources about - Comments about Mac -- Rookie to Mac but Oldie to Computers - comp.sys.mac.advocacy

Computer Show

Red State, Blue State. Colored by a @DwaveSys quantum computer:https://www.flickr.com/photos/jurvetson/25473684712/ ...
... I saw this four-colored map of U.S. counties in the latest board pack. D-Wave embedded this map-coloring problem into a prototype quantum computer ...

Computer security experts warn of first ransomware to hit Apple Macs
Computer security experts warn that ransomware hackers have targeted Apple Mac users for the first time with malicious software that will lock ...

Sydney University 'lost' computer containing sensitive student information
The University of Sydney has admitted it&nbsp;&quot;lost&quot; a notebook computer containing sensitive information about students using disability ...

Oculus VR founder says they won’t support Mac until Apple ‘releases a good computer’
... about the possibility of the Oculus platform ever supporting Mac OS X; his response was that it depends on if Apple ever “releases a good computer. ...

Oculus Founder: Rift will come to Mac if Apple “ever releases a good computer”
... to Oculus co-founder Palmer Luckey, it "is up to Apple" to change that state of affairs. Specifically, "if they ever release a good computer, ...

Windows 10 Fast Startup could be detrimental to your computer
... cons of this feature of Windows. Everyone's time is important, but you may well decide that the few seconds you can save booting up your computer ...

The computer legend who invented email has passed away
Internet Hall of Famer Ray Tomlinson has passed away. Tomlinson was the man that basically invented email as we know it today, including making ...