Cool feature...

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

System-wide autocomplete.

Open up TextEdit (or any other app that uses the Cocoa API), starting
typing a long word.

Now hit option-escape. Up pops a list of words that start with those
letters.

Cool!

--
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone

See related articles to this posting

"Alan Baker" <alangbaker@telus.net> wrote in message
> System-wide autocomplete.
>
> Open up TextEdit (or any other app that uses the Cocoa API), starting
> typing a long word.
>
> Now hit option-escape. Up pops a list of words that start with those
> letters.
>
> Cool!

It takes so little to entertain the feeble minded.

0
Reply Redjak 10/27/2010 7:46:06 PM

In article <alangbaker-D98EC1.11130127102010@news.shawcable.com>,
 Alan Baker <alangbaker@telus.net> wrote:

> System-wide autocomplete.
>
> Open up TextEdit (or any other app that uses the Cocoa API), starting
> typing a long word.
>
> Now hit option-escape. Up pops a list of words that start with those
> letters.
>
> Cool!

Yeah, it's pretty cool. Also, you can hover the mouse over any word in
a Cocoa text field and hit cmd-ctrl-D to see a dictionary popup
definition of that word.

--
Sandman[.net]
0

Alan Baker stated in post
alangbaker-D98EC1.11130127102010@news.shawcable.com on 10/27/10 11:13 AM:

> System-wide autocomplete.
>
> Open up TextEdit (or any other app that uses the Cocoa API), starting
> typing a long word.
>
> Now hit option-escape. Up pops a list of words that start with those
> letters.
>
> Cool!

I had seen this before but had forgotten the keystroke.  Thanks.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

0
Reply Snit 10/27/2010 8:32:14 PM

"Sandman" <mr@sandman.net> wrote in message
> In article <alangbaker-D98EC1.11130127102010@news.shawcable.com>,
> Alan Baker <alangbaker@telus.net> wrote:
>
>> System-wide autocomplete.
>>
>> Open up TextEdit (or any other app that uses the Cocoa API), starting
>> typing a long word.
>>
>> Now hit option-escape. Up pops a list of words that start with those
>> letters.
>>
>> Cool!
>
> Yeah, it's pretty cool. Also, you can hover the mouse over any word in
> a Cocoa text field and hit cmd-ctrl-D to see a dictionary popup
> definition of that word.

Couldn't they do it with a right click?

0
Reply Redjak 10/27/2010 8:37:43 PM

On Oct 27, 1:37=A0pm, "Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Sandman" <m...@sandman.net> wrote in message

> > In article <alangbaker-D98EC1.11130127102...@news.shawcable.com>,
> > Alan Baker <alangba...@telus.net> wrote:
>
> >> System-wide autocomplete.
>
> >> Open up TextEdit (or any other app that uses the Cocoa API), starting
> >> typing a long word.
>
> >> Now hit option-escape. Up pops a list of words that start with those
> >> letters.
>
> >> Cool!
>
> > Yeah, it's pretty cool. Also, you can hover the mouse over any word in
> > a Cocoa text field and hit cmd-ctrl-D to see a dictionary popup
> > definition of that word.
>
> Couldn't they do it with a right click?

You mean something like right-click, "Look up in Dictionary"?

Yes, they could. In fact, they do.
0
Reply Alan 10/27/2010 11:25:45 PM

"Snit" <usenet@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote in message
> Alan Baker stated in post
> alangbaker-D98EC1.11130127102010@news.shawcable.com on 10/27/10 11:13 AM:
>
>> System-wide autocomplete.
>>
>> Open up TextEdit (or any other app that uses the Cocoa API), starting
>> typing a long word.
>>
>> Now hit option-escape. Up pops a list of words that start with those
>> letters.
>>
>> Cool!
>
> I had seen this before but had forgotten the keystroke.  Thanks.
>

> --
> [INSERT .SIG HERE]

Snit begs for my attention.

0
Reply Chance 10/27/2010 11:55:58 PM

Redjak wrote:

> "Alan Baker" <alangbaker@telus.net> wrote:
>> System-wide autocomplete.
>>
>> Open up TextEdit (or any other app that uses the Cocoa API), starting
>> typing a long word.
>>
>> Now hit option-escape. Up pops a list of words that start with those
>> letters.
>>
>> Cool!
>
> It takes so little to entertain the feeble minded.

It might be useful to you, zara ... if you actually *knew* any long words!

0
Reply Tim 10/28/2010 12:25:22 AM

> On Oct 27, 1:37 pm, "Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> "Sandman" <m...@sandman.net> wrote in message

>> > Yeah, it's pretty cool. Also, you can hover the mouse over any word in
>> > a Cocoa text field and hit cmd-ctrl-D to see a dictionary popup
>> > definition of that word.
>>
>> Couldn't they do it with a right click?
>
> You mean something like right-click, "Look up in Dictionary"?
>
> Yes, they could. In fact, they do.

Well why didn't he say that in the first place?

0
Reply Redjak 10/28/2010 12:45:08 AM

Redjak stated in post iaah2h$1op$1@news.eternal-september.org on 10/27/10
5:45 PM:

> "Alan Baker" <alangbaker@telus.net> wrote in message
>> On Oct 27, 1:37 pm, "Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> "Sandman" <m...@sandman.net> wrote in message

>>> Couldn't they do it with a right click?
>>
>> You mean something like right-click, "Look up in Dictionary"?
>>
>> Yes, they could. In fact, they do.
>
> Well why didn't he say that in the first place?

That in the first place.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

0
Reply Snit 10/28/2010 12:50:44 AM

In article <iaah2h$1op$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
 "Redjak" <redjackson@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Alan Baker" <alangbaker@telus.net> wrote in message
> > On Oct 27, 1:37 pm, "Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> "Sandman" <m...@sandman.net> wrote in message

> >> Couldn't they do it with a right click?
> >
> > You mean something like right-click, "Look up in Dictionary"?
> >
> > Yes, they could. In fact, they do.
>
> Well why didn't he say that in the first place?

So I have to catalogue every feature for you in the same post, do I?

--
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone
"It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X)
'[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included
on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun)
0
Reply Alan 10/28/2010 4:20:43 AM

In article <iaa2il$blt$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
 "Redjak" <redjackson@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> System-wide autocomplete.
> >>
> >> Open up TextEdit (or any other app that uses the Cocoa API), starting
> >> typing a long word.
> >>
> >> Now hit option-escape. Up pops a list of words that start with those
> >> letters.
> >>
> >> Cool!
> >
> > Yeah, it's pretty cool. Also, you can hover the mouse over any word in
> > a Cocoa text field and hit cmd-ctrl-D to see a dictionary popup
> > definition of that word.
>
> Couldn't they do it with a right click?

Yes, they can. But holding cmd-ctrl-D and scrubbing your cursor over
all the words in a paragraph will popup definitions for all of them as
you go along.

--
Sandman[.net]
0

Alan Baker stated in post
alangbaker-D98EC1.11130127102010@news.shawcable.com on 10/27/10 11:13 AM:

> System-wide autocomplete.
>
> Open up TextEdit (or any other app that uses the Cocoa API), starting
> typing a long word.
>
> Now hit option-escape. Up pops a list of words that start with those
> letters.
>
> Cool!

No need for option - just hit escape.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

0
Reply Snit 10/28/2010 7:08:32 AM

> In article <iaah2h$1op$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
> "Redjak" <redjackson@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> "Alan Baker" <alangbaker@telus.net> wrote in message

>> > You mean something like right-click, "Look up in Dictionary"?
>> >
>> > Yes, they could. In fact, they do.
>>
>> Well why didn't he say that in the first place?
>
> So I have to catalogue every feature for you in the same post, do I?

Did anyone see me ask you?  if you have an issue, you should MYOFB, and you
won't.

0
Reply Redjak 10/28/2010 1:44:52 PM

>> > Yeah, it's pretty cool. Also, you can hover the mouse over any word in
>> > a Cocoa text field and hit cmd-ctrl-D to see a dictionary popup
>> > definition of that word.
>>
>> Couldn't they do it with a right click?
>
> Yes, they can. But holding cmd-ctrl-D and scrubbing your cursor over
> all the words in a paragraph will popup definitions for all of them as
> you go along.

So you're saying you need to know the definition of every singe word in a
paragraph?

0
Reply Redjak 10/28/2010 1:46:25 PM

"Chance Furlong" <T-Bone@megakatcuty.com> wrote in message

> "Snit" <usenet@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote in message
>> Alan Baker stated in post
>> alangbaker-D98EC1.11130127102010@news.shawcable.com on 10/27/10 11:13 AM:
>>
>>> System-wide autocomplete.
>>>
>>> Open up TextEdit (or any other app that uses the Cocoa API), starting
>>> typing a long word.
>>>
>>> Now hit option-escape. Up pops a list of words that start with those
>>> letters.
>>>
>>> Cool!
>>
>> I had seen this before but had forgotten the keystroke.  Thanks.
>>

>> --
>> [INSERT .SIG HERE]
>>

> Snit begs for my attention.

Get some new material. Jimmy.

0
Reply Redjak 10/28/2010 1:48:01 PM

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 11:13:01 -0700, Alan Baker <alangbaker@telus.net>
wrote:

>System-wide autocomplete.
>
>Open up TextEdit (or any other app that uses the Cocoa API), starting
>typing a long word.
>
>Now hit option-escape. Up pops a list of words that start with those
>letters.
>
>Cool!

I need that, why?
0
Reply Tommy 10/28/2010 2:53:19 PM

Redjak stated in post iaburf$tcm$1@news.eternal-september.org on 10/28/10
6:46 AM:

> "Sandman" <mr@sandman.net> wrote in message

>>> Couldn't they do it with a right click?
>>
>> Yes, they can. But holding cmd-ctrl-D and scrubbing your cursor over
>> all the words in a paragraph will popup definitions for all of them as
>> you go along.
>
> So you're saying you need to know the definition of every singe word in a
> paragraph?

Yes.  :)

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

0
Reply Snit 10/28/2010 3:58:40 PM

"Sandman" <mr@sandman.net> wrote in message

>> > Yeah, it's pretty cool. Also, you can hover the mouse over any word in
>> > a Cocoa text field and hit cmd-ctrl-D to see a dictionary popup
>> > definition of that word.
>>
>> Couldn't they do it with a right click?
>
> Yes, they can. But holding cmd-ctrl-D and scrubbing your cursor over
> all the words in a paragraph will popup definitions for all of them as
> you go along.

You're going to hold down three keys with one hand while you move the mouse
with the other hand?

Type out "retarded" then apply your procedure.   I bet a picture of you will
pop up.   LOL

0
Reply Clavicus 10/28/2010 4:12:45 PM

"Redjak" <redjackson@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Sandman" <mr@sandman.net> wrote in message

>>> Couldn't they do it with a right click?
>>
>> Yes, they can. But holding cmd-ctrl-D and scrubbing your cursor over
>> all the words in a paragraph will popup definitions for all of them as
>> you go along.
>
> So you're saying you need to know the definition of every singe word in a
> paragraph?

Sandman only needs to look up big words, like cat or dog.

0
Reply Clavicus 10/28/2010 4:13:53 PM

"Clavicus Vile" <clavicus.vile@oblivion.org> wrote in message

> "Redjak" <redjackson@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "Sandman" <mr@sandman.net> wrote in message

>>> Yes, they can. But holding cmd-ctrl-D and scrubbing your cursor over
>>> all the words in a paragraph will popup definitions for all of them as
>>> you go along.
>>
>> So you're saying you need to know the definition of every singe word in a
>> paragraph?
>
> Sandman only needs to look up big words, like cat or dog.

LOL!

0
Reply Redjak 10/28/2010 6:48:26 PM

> "Sandman" <mr@sandman.net> wrote in message

>>> Couldn't they do it with a right click?
>>
>> Yes, they can. But holding cmd-ctrl-D and scrubbing your cursor over
>> all the words in a paragraph will popup definitions for all of them as
>> you go along.
>
> You're going to hold down three keys with one hand while you move the
> mouse with the other hand?

Is that an Apple "feature"?  It's no wonder they're stuck at less than 5%
world market share.

> Type out "retarded" then apply your procedure.   I bet a picture of you
> will pop up.   LOL

0
Reply Redjak 10/28/2010 6:50:05 PM

On Oct 28, 8:53=A0am, Tommy the Troll <tom_elamatearthlinkdotnet> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 11:13:01 -0700, Alan Baker <alangba...@telus.net>
> wrote:
>
> >System-wide autocomplete.
>
> >Open up TextEdit (or any other app that uses the Cocoa API), starting
> >typing a long word.
>
> >Now hit option-escape. Up pops a list of words that start with those
> >letters.
>
> >Cool!
>
> I need that, why?

Well, we didn't want to say anything because we didn't want to hurt
your feeling but...  ;)
0
Reply Steve 10/28/2010 9:20:36 PM

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 14:20:36 -0700 (PDT), Steve Carroll
<fretwizzer@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Oct 28, 8:53�am, Tommy the Troll <tom_elamatearthlinkdotnet> wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 11:13:01 -0700, Alan Baker <alangba...@telus.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >System-wide autocomplete.
>>
>> >Open up TextEdit (or any other app that uses the Cocoa API), starting
>> >typing a long word.
>>
>> >Now hit option-escape. Up pops a list of words that start with those
>> >letters.
>>
>> >Cool!
>>
>> I need that, why?
>
>Well, we didn't want to say anything because we didn't want to hurt
>your feeling but...  ;)

Unlike Maccies I can spell words, even hard ones, and can write a
complete sentence. So I need that feature, why?
0
Reply Tommy 10/28/2010 11:47:47 PM

wrote:

>System-wide autocomplete.
>
>Open up TextEdit (or any other app that uses the Cocoa API), starting
>typing a long word.
>
>Now hit option-escape. Up pops a list of words that start with those
>letters.
>
>Cool!

The need for this feature on the Mac, and the writer's reaction to it,
say a lot about the intelligence of the average Mac user. Or, lack
thereof...
0
Reply Tommy 10/28/2010 11:49:21 PM

On Oct 28, 5:49=A0pm, Tommy the Troll <tom_elamatearthlinkdotnet> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 11:13:01 -0700, Alan Baker <alangba...@telus.net>
> wrote:
>
> >System-wide autocomplete.
>
> >Open up TextEdit (or any other app that uses the Cocoa API), starting
> >typing a long word.
>
> >Now hit option-escape. Up pops a list of words that start with those
> >letters.
>
> >Cool!
>
> The need for this feature on the Mac, and the writer's reaction to it,
> say a lot about the intelligence of the average Mac user. Or, lack
> thereof...

Sooo.... because I (personally) can add large numbers in my head is a
valid reason to toss calculator apps off of all computers?

Your 'intelligence' is astounding, Tom. LOL!
0
Reply Steve 10/29/2010 12:02:58 AM

Redjak wrote:
> So you're saying you need to know the definition of every singe word in a
> paragraph?

That's kind of the basis of understanding human language.

0
Reply Tim 10/29/2010 4:36:32 AM

In article <iac7dv$c3c$1@news.albasani.net>,

> >> Couldn't they do it with a right click?
> >
> > Yes, they can. But holding cmd-ctrl-D and scrubbing your cursor over
> > all the words in a paragraph will popup definitions for all of them as
> > you go along.
>
> You're going to hold down three keys with one hand while you move the mouse
> with the other hand?

This is a problem for Windows users? Is your other hand occupied with
something?

--
Sandman[.net]
0

In article <iaburf$tcm$1@news.eternal-september.org>,

> >> Couldn't they do it with a right click?
> >
> > Yes, they can. But holding cmd-ctrl-D and scrubbing your cursor over
> > all the words in a paragraph will popup definitions for all of them as
> > you go along.
>
> So you're saying you need to know the definition of every singe word in a
> paragraph?

So you're saying that you're as stupid as you make yourself look here?

--
Sandman[.net]
0

>> > Yes, they can. But holding cmd-ctrl-D and scrubbing your cursor over
>> > all the words in a paragraph will popup definitions for all of them as
>> > you go along.
>>
>> You're going to hold down three keys with one hand while you move the
>> mouse
>> with the other hand?
>
> This is a problem for Windows users? Is your other hand occupied with
> something?

How to turn a positive into a negative!  BWAHAAAAH, Dance little iPuppet,
dance.

0
Reply Redjak 10/29/2010 12:50:01 PM

>> > Yes, they can. But holding cmd-ctrl-D and scrubbing your cursor over
>> > all the words in a paragraph will popup definitions for all of them as
>> > you go along.
>>
>> So you're saying you need to know the definition of every singe word in a
>> paragraph?
>
> So you're saying that you're as stupid as you make yourself look here?

No - I'm saying you are stupid.  If you need the definition of every single
word in a paragraph - that means you are truly stupid.

See, you were too stupid to understand what I said.

0
Reply Redjak 10/29/2010 12:52:42 PM

"Tim Murray" <no-spam@thankyou.com> wrote in message
> Redjak wrote:
>> So you're saying you need to know the definition of every singe word in a
>> paragraph?
>>

> That's kind of the basis of understanding human language.

Deep, Polly, very deep.

0
Reply Redjak 10/29/2010 12:53:04 PM

In article <iaeg2n$7mq$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
 "Redjak" <redjackson@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> So you're saying you need to know the definition of every singe word in a
> >> paragraph?
> >
> > So you're saying that you're as stupid as you make yourself look here?
>
> No

Troll fact check FAIL

--
Sandman[.net]
0

In article <iaeftm$6vu$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
 "Redjak" <redjackson@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> You're going to hold down three keys with one hand while you move the
> >> mouse
> >> with the other hand?
> >
> > This is a problem for Windows users? Is your other hand occupied with
> > something?
>
> How to turn a positive into a negative!

Keep trying!

--
Sandman[.net]
0

Redjak wrote:

> "Tim Murray" <no-spam@thankyou.com> wrote in message
>> Redjak wrote:
>>> So you're saying you need to know the definition of every singe word in a
>>> paragraph?
>>>

>> That's kind of the basis of understanding human language.
>>

> Deep, Polly, very deep.

Clearly deeper than your level of understanding, that's for sure.

0
Reply Tim 10/29/2010 2:31:26 PM

>> > This is a problem for Windows users? Is your other hand occupied with
>> > something?
>>
>> How to turn a positive into a negative!
>
> Keep trying!

One beating a day isn't enough for you?

LOL

0
Reply Clavicus 10/29/2010 4:18:29 PM

>> > So you're saying that you're as stupid as you make yourself look here?
>>
>> No
>
> Troll fact check FAIL

Stupid widdle iPuppet thinks if he clips it disappears?  Widdle iPuppet is
pathetically amusing.  Thank you widdle iPuppet for making me chuckle.

0
Reply Redjak 10/29/2010 4:20:36 PM

"Sandman" <mr@sandman.net> wrote in message

>> > This is a problem for Windows users? Is your other hand occupied with
>> > something?
>>
>> How to turn a positive into a negative!
>
> Keep trying!

Wow!  Your widdle iPuppet feet move sooo fast.

0
Reply Redjak 10/29/2010 4:21:24 PM

"Sandman" <mr@sandman.net> wrote in message

>> > Yes, they can. But holding cmd-ctrl-D and scrubbing your cursor over
>> > all the words in a paragraph will popup definitions for all of them as
>> > you go along.
>>
>> You're going to hold down three keys with one hand while you move the
>> mouse
>> with the other hand?
>
> This is a problem for Windows users? Is your other hand occupied with
> something?

Thanks for making it clear the Mac is favored by freaks and misfits.

0
Reply Clavicus 10/29/2010 4:21:26 PM

On Oct 29, 6:52=A0am, "Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Sandman" <m...@sandman.net> wrote in message

> >> So you're saying you need to know the definition of every singe word i=
n a
> >> paragraph?
>
> > So you're saying that you're as stupid as you make yourself look here?
>
> No - I'm saying you are stupid. =A0If you need the definition of every si=
ngle
> word in a paragraph - that means you are truly stupid.

Being unable to discern the difference between 'having it available to
you' and 'needing it' means... you're Tom Elam;)

0
Reply Steve 10/29/2010 5:25:11 PM

In article <2VAyo.4166$iG3.3261@newsfe18.iad>,
 Tim Murray <no-spam@thankyou.com> wrote:

> Redjak wrote:
> >

> > "Tim Murray" <no-spam@thankyou.com> wrote in message
> >>>

> >> That's kind of the basis of understanding human language.
> >>

> > Deep, Polly, very deep.
> >

> Clearly deeper than your level of understanding, that's for sure.

But really: what isn't?

--
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone
"It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X)
'[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included
on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun)
0
Reply Alan 10/29/2010 5:38:07 PM

"Tim Murray" <no-spam@thankyou.com> wrote in message
> Redjak wrote:
>> So you're saying you need to know the definition of every singe word in a
>> paragraph?
>>

> That's kind of the basis of understanding human language.

Do  you need to look up the definition of every single word in everything
you read in order to understand it?

In that case, you don't need a Mac, you need to go back to the 1st Grade!

LOL

0
Reply Clavicus 10/29/2010 5:43:19 PM

In article <iaf13o$92h$1@news.albasani.net>,
 "Clavicus Vile" <clavicus.vile@oblivion.org> wrote:

> "Tim Murray" <no-spam@thankyou.com> wrote in message
> > Redjak wrote:
> >> So you're saying you need to know the definition of every singe word in a
> >> paragraph?
> >>

> > That's kind of the basis of understanding human language.
>
> Do  you need to look up the definition of every single word in everything
> you read in order to understand it?

No, that's not what he said. If you think it is, then you clearly need
something that will let you look up the meaning of each word in his post.

--
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone
"It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X)
'[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included
on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun)
0
Reply Alan 10/29/2010 5:46:10 PM

> In article <iaf13o$92h$1@news.albasani.net>,
> "Clavicus Vile" <clavicus.vile@oblivion.org> wrote:
>
>> "Tim Murray" <no-spam@thankyou.com> wrote in message
>> >>

>> > That's kind of the basis of understanding human language.
>>
>> Do  you need to look up the definition of every single word in everything
>> you read in order to understand it?
>
> No, that's not what he said. If you think it is, then you clearly need
> something that will let you look up the meaning of each word in his post.

LOL

>> In that case, you don't need a Mac, you need to go back to the 1st Grade!
>>
>> LOL
>
> --
> "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
> "I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone
> "It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix
> with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin
> on Mac OS X)
> '[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
> 'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
> IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
> 'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included
> on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun)

0
Reply Clavicus 10/29/2010 5:56:13 PM

"Steve Carroll" <fretwizzer@gmail.com> wrote in message
On Oct 29, 6:52 am, "Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Sandman" <m...@sandman.net> wrote in message

> >> So you're saying you need to know the definition of every singe word in
> >> paragraph?
>
> > So you're saying that you're as stupid as you make yourself look here?
>
> No - I'm saying you are stupid. If you need the definition of every single
> word in a paragraph - that means you are truly stupid.

SC: Being unable to discern the difference between 'having it available to
you' and 'needing it' means... you're Tom Elam;)

Sure, because we always go out of our way to point out what we don't need is
available.

LOLLERCOASTER

0
Reply Clavicus 10/29/2010 5:58:41 PM

In article <iaf20i$aas$1@news.albasani.net>,
 "Clavicus Vile" <clavicus.vile@oblivion.org> wrote:

> "Steve Carroll" <fretwizzer@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Oct 29, 6:52 am, "Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > "Sandman" <m...@sandman.net> wrote in message

> > > So you're saying that you're as stupid as you make yourself look here?
> >
> > No - I'm saying you are stupid. If you need the definition of every single
> > word in a paragraph - that means you are truly stupid.
>
> SC: Being unable to discern the difference between 'having it available to
> you' and 'needing it' means... you're Tom Elam;)
>
> Sure, because we always go out of our way to point out what we don't need is
> available.
>
> LOLLERCOASTER

I don't need a GPS for 99% of the driving I do...

....but when I need one, it's nice to have.

--
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone
"It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X)
'[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included
on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun)
0
Reply Alan 10/29/2010 6:03:52 PM

Clavicus Vile stated in post iaf20i$aas$1@news.albasani.net on 10/29/10
10:58 AM:

>>> So you're saying that you're as stupid as you make yourself look here?
>>
>> No - I'm saying you are stupid. If you need the definition of every single
>> word in a paragraph - that means you are truly stupid.
>
> SC: Being unable to discern the difference between 'having it available to
> you' and 'needing it' means... you're Tom Elam;)
>
> Sure, because we always go out of our way to point out what we don't need is
> available.
>
> LOLLERCOASTER

Seriously, did you see Steve's response to my comments on his ignorance
about being actually guilty and having an adjudication system find someone
as guilty.  He got himself so twisted around he had to admit he was
rewriting my comments to try to make them sound as stupid as he is.

Of course, Carroll is just a moron and twists himself in circles.  On the
same topic:

 Steve argues actually guilty = committed the crime
    -----
    [Justice Black] is drawing the distinction between legal guilt and
    ACTUALLY having committed the crime... the same distinction that
    *I* am drawing.
    -----

 Steve argues actually guilty = found guilty
    -----
    Being guilty "in a legal sense", being found guilty "in a legal sense",
    being determined guilty "in a legal sense" or being *actually* guilty
    "in a legal sense", all mean the same thing.
    -----

 Steve argues actually guilty DOES NOT EXIST!
    -----
    There is no such thing as *actually* guilty in this context.
    There is only guilty or not guilty.
    -----

 Steve argues actually guilty <> committed the crime
    -----
    The tough part to deal with is that you needn't  *actually* have
    committed the crime to be *actually* guilty in this context.
    -----

Face it, this is simple: people who are actually guilty need not be found so
in a court, and people who are found so might not be actually guilty.  Steve
used to refer to "law worship" - he simply cannot understand how the
adjudication system can deem an innocent person guilty or fail to find a
guilty person as such.

When even simple concepts like this escape him, what chance is there he will
understand *anything*?

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

0
Reply Snit 10/29/2010 6:09:17 PM

> In article <iaf20i$aas$1@news.albasani.net>,
> "Clavicus Vile" <clavicus.vile@oblivion.org> wrote:
>
>> "Steve Carroll" <fretwizzer@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Oct 29, 6:52 am, "Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> > "Sandman" <m...@sandman.net> wrote in message

>> > No - I'm saying you are stupid. If you need the definition of every
>> > single
>> > word in a paragraph - that means you are truly stupid.
>>
>> SC: Being unable to discern the difference between 'having it available
>> you' and 'needing it' means... you're Tom Elam;)
>>
>> Sure, because we always go out of our way to point out what we don't need
>> is
>> available.
>>
>> LOLLERCOASTER
>
> I don't need a GPS for 99% of the driving I do...
>
> ...but when I need one, it's nice to have.

But you always look at it, because you don't need it, but it's available.
LOL

Fucking dunce!

0
Reply Clavicus 10/29/2010 6:17:18 PM

In article <iaf33g$btj$1@news.albasani.net>,
 "Clavicus Vile" <clavicus.vile@oblivion.org> wrote:

> >> SC: Being unable to discern the difference between 'having it available
> >> you' and 'needing it' means... you're Tom Elam;)
> >>
> >> Sure, because we always go out of our way to point out what we don't need
> >> is
> >> available.
> >>
> >> LOLLERCOASTER
> >
> > I don't need a GPS for 99% of the driving I do...
> >
> > ...but when I need one, it's nice to have.
>
> But you always look at it,
> because you don't need it, but it's available.

Nope. Because I only bother to turn it on and put it on its mount when I
need it.

--
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone
"It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X)
'[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included
on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun)
0
Reply Alan 10/29/2010 6:23:34 PM

On Oct 29, 11:58=A0am, "Clavicus Vile" <clavicus.v...@oblivion.org>
wrote:
> "Steve Carroll" <fretwiz...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Oct 29, 6:52 am, "Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > "Sandman" <m...@sandman.net> wrote in message

> > > So you're saying that you're as stupid as you make yourself look here=
?

> > No - I'm saying you are stupid. If you need the definition of every sin=
gle
> > word in a paragraph - that means you are truly stupid.
>
> SC: Being unable to discern the difference between 'having it available t=
> you' and 'needing it' means... you're Tom Elam;)
>
> Sure, because we always go out of our way to point

.... out how you guys are unable to differentiate between things other
people can easily differentiate between?

Yeah... uh...  you really don't need to point things like this out
anymore;)

For the record: I don't buy Elam's (or any other troll's) claim of
never needing a dictionary. By why stop at a dictionary?

I asked Tom the logical question to his stated position:

"Sooo.... because I (personally) can add large numbers in my head is a
valid reason to toss calculator apps off of all computers?"

Consider the argument implied by this question taken to its logical
conclusion:

"So you're saying you need to know the definition of every singe word
in a paragraph?"

If the manufacturer of a computer system  tossed out features based on
*one* user's lack of need of an included feature, what do you suppose
the system would be like? I can easily compound the problem in ways
you aren't likely to comprehend... but what's the point? You're
stumped on this part of it. LOL!

0
Reply Steve 10/29/2010 7:13:54 PM

Steve Carroll wrote:
> On Oct 29, 11:58 am, "Clavicus Vile" <clavicus.v...@oblivion.org>
> wrote:
>> "Steve Carroll" <fretwiz...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> On Oct 29, 6:52 am, "Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>> "Sandman" <m...@sandman.net> wrote in message

>>> No - I'm saying you are stupid. If you need the definition of every
>>> single word in a paragraph - that means you are truly stupid.
>>
>> SC: Being unable to discern the difference between 'having it
>> available to you' and 'needing it' means... you're Tom Elam;)
>>
>> Sure, because we always go out of our way to point
>
> ... out how you guys are unable to differentiate between things other
> people can easily differentiate between?
>
> Yeah... uh...  you really don't need to point things like this out
> anymore;)
>
> For the record: I don't buy Elam's (or any other troll's) claim of
> never needing a dictionary. By why stop at a dictionary?
>
> I asked Tom the logical question to his stated position:
>
> "Sooo.... because I (personally) can add large numbers in my head is a
> valid reason to toss calculator apps off of all computers?"
>
> Consider the argument implied by this question taken to its logical
> conclusion:
>
> "So you're saying you need to know the definition of every singe word
> in a paragraph?"
>
> If the manufacturer of a computer system  tossed out features based on
> *one* user's lack of need of an included feature, what do you suppose
> the system would be like? I can easily compound the problem in ways
> you aren't likely to comprehend... but what's the point? You're
> stumped on this part of it. LOL!

Snot is pulling up ancient debates because he is consumed by hatred.

--
You Ain't the Biggest Fish in the Crotch

0
Reply Big 10/29/2010 7:16:40 PM

>> > I don't need a GPS for 99% of the driving I do...
>> >
>> > ...but when I need one, it's nice to have.
>>
>> But you always look at it,
>> because you don't need it, but it's available.
>
> Nope. Because I only bother to turn it on and put it on its mount when I
> need it.

Then your example doesn't equate to what Sandman is doing.

>> LOL
>>
>> Fucking dunce!
>
> --
> "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
> "I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone
> "It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix
> with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin
> on Mac OS X)
> '[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
> 'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
> IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
> 'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included
> on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun)

0
Reply Clavicus 10/29/2010 7:19:03 PM

In article <iaf6n9$hcv$1@news.albasani.net>,
 "Clavicus Vile" <clavicus.vile@oblivion.org> wrote:

> "Alan Baker" <alangbaker@telus.net> wrote in message

> >> But you always look at it,
> >> because you don't need it, but it's available.
> >
> > Nope. Because I only bother to turn it on and put it on its mount when I
> > need it.
>
> Then your example doesn't equate to what Sandman is doing.

What is he doing, zara?

--
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone
"It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X)
'[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included
on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun)
0
Reply Alan 10/29/2010 7:23:38 PM

In article <iaes4m$1c0$1@news.albasani.net>,

> >> How to turn a positive into a negative!
> >
> > Keep trying!
>
> One beating a day isn't enough for you?

So, what, you won't even try? Or was this it? :)

--
Sandman[.net]
0

In article <iaesa7$1ob$1@news.albasani.net>,

> >> You're going to hold down three keys with one hand while you move the
> >> mouse
> >> with the other hand?
> >
> > This is a problem for Windows users? Is your other hand occupied with
> > something?
>
> Thanks for making it clear the Mac is favored by freaks and misfits.

Freaks that can use both hands...

Is all English hard for you to keep up with or is it only written?

--
Sandman[.net]
0

>> > This is a problem for Windows users? Is your other hand occupied with
>> > something?
>>
>> Thanks for making it clear the Mac is favored by freaks and misfits.
>
> Freaks that can use both hands...
>
> Is all English hard for you to keep up with or is it only written?

LOL

0
Reply Clavicus 10/29/2010 10:53:50 PM

On Oct 29, 4:42=A0pm, Sandman <m...@sandman.net> wrote:

> > > Keep trying!
>
> > One beating a day isn't enough for you?
>
> So, what, you won't even try? Or was this it? :)

LOL!

0
Reply Steve 10/29/2010 11:39:10 PM

Tommy the Troll stated in post 1r2kc69i17dg0h8qfr6dvaa4ssmgm4jbql@4ax.com on
10/28/10 4:47 PM:

> On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 14:20:36 -0700 (PDT), Steve Carroll
> <fretwizzer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Oct 28, 8:53�am, Tommy the Troll <tom_elamatearthlinkdotnet> wrote:

>>> I need that, why?
>>
>> Well, we didn't want to say anything because we didn't want to hurt
>> your feeling but...  ;)
>
> Unlike Maccies I can spell words, even hard ones, and can write a
> complete sentence. So I need that feature, why?

Steve is pretending this key combo is easy but key combos he could not
figure out not so easy: <http://goo.gl/beyx>.

What a hypocrite he is.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

0
Reply Snit 10/30/2010 1:04:12 AM

On Oct 29, 7:04=A0pm, Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:
> Tommy the Troll stated in post 1r2kc69i17dg0h8qfr6dvaa4ssmgm4j...@4ax.com=
 on
> 10/28/10 4:47 PM:
>

> > On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 14:20:36 -0700 (PDT), Steve Carroll
> > <fretwiz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Well, we didn't want to say anything because we didn't want to hurt
> >> your feeling but... =A0;)
>
> > Unlike Maccies I can spell words, even hard ones, and can write a
> > complete sentence. So I need that feature, why?
>
> Steve

.... has pointed out how you labeled something a "bug" in OSX... an
"inconsistency", yet, you called the *very same thing*  my "user
error".

0
Reply Steve 10/30/2010 3:10:48 AM

Steve Carroll wrote:
> On Oct 29, 7:04 pm, Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:
>> Tommy the Troll stated in post
>> 1r2kc69i17dg0h8qfr6dvaa4ssmgm4j...@4ax.com on 10/28/10 4:47 PM:

>>> Unlike Maccies I can spell words, even hard ones, and can write a
>>> complete sentence. So I need that feature, why?
>>
>> Steve
>
> ... has pointed out how you labeled something a "bug" in OSX... an
> "inconsistency", yet, you called the *very same thing*  my "user
> error".

PWND!

--
You Ain't the Biggest Fish in the Crotch

0
Reply Big 10/30/2010 3:23:12 AM

Clavicus Vile wrote:

> "Tim Murray" <no-spam@thankyou.com> wrote in message
>> Redjak wrote:
>>> So you're saying you need to know the definition of every singe word in a
>>> paragraph?
>>>

>> That's kind of the basis of understanding human language.
>
> Do  you need to look up the definition of every single word in everything
> you read in order to understand it?

No. That's not what I said, so why do you ask?

0
Reply Tim 10/31/2010 1:43:31 AM

> Clavicus Vile wrote:
>>
>> "Tim Murray" <no-spam@thankyou.com> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> That's kind of the basis of understanding human language.
>>
>> Do  you need to look up the definition of every single word in everything
>> you read in order to understand it?
>
> No. That's not what I said, so why do you ask?

No.  That's what you did say, Polly.  Look up! You don't seem to have a
grasp of the English language.

0
Reply Redjak 10/31/2010 10:08:03 PM

Redjak wrote:

> "Tim Murray" <no-spam@thankyou.com> wrote:
>> Clavicus Vile wrote:

>>> Do  you need to look up the definition of every single word in
>>> everything you read in order to understand it?
>>
>> No. That's not what I said, so why do you ask?
>
> No.  That's what you did say, Polly.  Look up! You don't seem to have a
> grasp of the English language.

I said the "need" to know was the basis of understanding; that's not the
same as having to look stuff up.

0
Reply Tim 10/31/2010 11:02:57 PM

In article <iakpc4$v8h$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
 "Redjak" <redjackson@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Tim Murray" <no-spam@thankyou.com> wrote in message
> > Clavicus Vile wrote:
> >>
> >> "Tim Murray" <no-spam@thankyou.com> wrote in message

> >> Do  you need to look up the definition of every single word in everything
> >> you read in order to understand it?
> >
> > No. That's not what I said, so why do you ask?
>
> No.  That's what you did say, Polly.  Look up! You don't seem to have a
> grasp of the English language.

Sorry, but it's not.

--
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone
"It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X)
'[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included
on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun)
0
Reply Alan 11/1/2010 2:38:47 AM

"Big Crotch on a Small Fish" <BigCrotch@SmallFish> wrote in message
> Steve Carroll wrote:
>> On Oct 29, 11:58 am, "Clavicus Vile" <clavicus.v...@oblivion.org>
>> wrote:
>>> "Steve Carroll" <fretwiz...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> SC: Being unable to discern the difference between 'having it
>>> available to you' and 'needing it' means... you're Tom Elam;)
>>>
>>> Sure, because we always go out of our way to point
>>
>> ... out how you guys are unable to differentiate between things other
>> people can easily differentiate between?
>>
>> Yeah... uh...  you really don't need to point things like this out
>> anymore;)
>>
>> For the record: I don't buy Elam's (or any other troll's) claim of
>> never needing a dictionary. By why stop at a dictionary?
>>
>> I asked Tom the logical question to his stated position:
>>
>> "Sooo.... because I (personally) can add large numbers in my head is a
>> valid reason to toss calculator apps off of all computers?"
>>
>> Consider the argument implied by this question taken to its logical
>> conclusion:
>>
>> "So you're saying you need to know the definition of every singe word
>> in a paragraph?"
>>
>> If the manufacturer of a computer system  tossed out features based on
>> *one* user's lack of need of an included feature, what do you suppose
>> the system would be like? I can easily compound the problem in ways
>> you aren't likely to comprehend... but what's the point? You're
>> stumped on this part of it. LOL!
>
> Snot is pulling up ancient debates because he is consumed by hatred.
>
> --
> You Ain't the Biggest Fish in the Crotch

Snit and Steve are two sides of the same coin.    I'm not convinced they're
not one and the same person.

0
Reply Clavicus 11/3/2010 2:58:50 PM

Clavicus Vile stated in post iartbb$34r$1@news.albasani.net on 11/3/10 7:58
AM:
>>> If the manufacturer of a computer system  tossed out features based on
>>> *one* user's lack of need of an included feature, what do you suppose
>>> the system would be like? I can easily compound the problem in ways
>>> you aren't likely to comprehend... but what's the point? You're
>>> stumped on this part of it. LOL!
>>
>> Snot is pulling up ancient debates because he is consumed by hatred.
>>
>> --
>> You Ain't the Biggest Fish in the Crotch
>
> Snit and Steve are two sides of the same coin.    I'm not convinced they're
> not one and the same person.

Sandman says we are the same.  I think he is not right.

But as far as being two sides of the same coin, I suppose: I am honor and
honesty and Steve is the exact opposite.  Notice, for example, how he
accuses me of sock puppetry in the same thread where he is talking to one of
his socks.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

0
Reply Snit 11/3/2010 3:07:22 PM

On 10/27/2010 11:13 AM, Alan Baker wrote:
> System-wide autocomplete.
>
> Open up TextEdit (or any other app that uses the Cocoa API), starting
> typing a long word.
>
> Now hit option-escape. Up pops a list of words that start with those
> letters.
>
> Cool!

     Wow! Autocomplete!

John
0
Reply John 11/8/2010 2:32:53 AM

In article <njJBo.11962$iG3.3002@newsfe18.iad>,
 John Slade <hhitman86@pacbell.net> wrote:

> On 10/27/2010 11:13 AM, Alan Baker wrote:
> > System-wide autocomplete.
> >
> > Open up TextEdit (or any other app that uses the Cocoa API), starting
> > typing a long word.
> >
> > Now hit option-escape. Up pops a list of words that start with those
> > letters.
> >
> > Cool!
> >

>      Wow! Autocomplete!
>
> John

System-wide autocomplete, John. Auto-complete in any application that
uses the Cocoa text APIs

--
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone
"It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X)
'[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included
on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun)
0
Reply Alan 11/8/2010 3:00:13 AM
comp.sys.mac.advocacy 32380 articles. 1 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Cool Vista features
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/features/default.mspx I wonder which ones are actually original? The Flip 3D looks like it could be original. The rest, have these been in any of the various window managers or desktop environments? ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---- __/ [ Donn Miller ] on Tuesday 13 June 2006 19:06 \__ > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/features/default.m...

Cool feature in Konqueror
I discovered a new nice feature in konqueror (KDE 3.1.0): Hold down the shift key, then press up key to increase scroll speed, down key to decrease the speed. Nice! Marcello -- "Linux is built to be used, Windows is built to be sold" (seen in COLAdv) Visit http://www.geocities.com/match_97 marcello (dot) romani (at) libero (dot) it ...

Cool Feature of Spotlight
Cool feature of Spotlight I had not read about - when Spotlight is doing its indexing, the icon has a little dot in in that pulsates. I might make a mock up and post it if anyone wants to see it... _________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download http://www.usenetzone.com to open account In article <BE9BF652.15DFF%SNIT@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID>, SNIT@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID says... > Cool feature of Spotlight I had not read about - when Spotlight is doing its > indexing, the icon has a little dot in in that ...

Cool feature in W7
If a download window is open, and the download is in progress, the appropriate IE icon on the taskbar colors itself in as a green progress bar. In article <s6n9l5lpd1542aqlp4lktbq1i589a60rnj@4ax.com>, Tommy the Troll <tom_elamatearthlinkdotnet> wrote: > If a download window is open, and the download is in progress, the > appropriate IE icon on the taskbar colors itself in as a green > progress bar. Does it actually show the progress? Or is the bar fixed? -- "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --...

Cool ORDER BY feature
Create a priority column in a test table and add the entries, "HI", "N", and "LO" in sequence like that for up to, say, 15 rows. Now select this and order by priority. You'll notice that it goes in "HI", "LO", and "N" order. A more preferrable option would to sort this as "HI", "N", and "LO". Now do something like this: select * from testtable order by priority = 'LO', priority = 'N', priority = 'HI' Guess what! It sorts the priorities properly without you having to ...

XP: Cool feature with a weakness
With XP, as many people know, you can change the orientation of the computer screen image by pressing control+alt+arrow keys. For the general desktop this has little utility, but for tablets it is pretty cool... and as long as the ability is there it is often available on desktop systems. No problems there... though it does leave open a chance for practical jokes and the like. Here is the weakness: I can change the orientation from my user account, even a non-Admin, and the orientation will stay altered even when I log out... Why? -- � Deleting from a *Save* dialog is not a sign of wel...

cool feature in Cisco ACE
switch/Admin# load image:waszi-vs-ace.tar.gz ############################################################### Warning: debug-plugin is for engineering internal use only! For security reason, plugin image has been deleted. ############################################################### ..itasca_autorun-2.05a# id uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root),1(bin),2(daemon),3(sys),4(adm),6(disk),10(wheel) http://waszi.tiberium.net.pl/waszi-vs-ace.tar.gz Regards :) -- Bartosz Waszak nic-hdl: BW1026-RIPE ...

stealing all the cool features from DTP ..
From: Pete Higgins To: Cindy Charleson Subject: FW: Word retreat notes Date: Thursday, July 15, 1993 7:26 AM ... BILLG Wrap-Up ... Look at DTP to make sure we are stealing all the cool features without confusing users or making Word hard to use. ... ** The real challenge is making sure the marketplace understands how good Word 6 is in comparison to AMI ... ------- comes v Microsoft http://iowa.gotthefacts.org/011607/7000/PX07445_C.pdf After takin' a swig o' grog, Doug Mentohl belched out this bit o' wisdom: > From: Pete Higgins > To: Cindy Charleson > Subject:...

Cool (but useless?) expose feature
I discovered this accidently, but it looks pretty neat. When using F9 - F12, hold shift and it'll go in slow motion. In article <1136015131.923226.196060@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "Martin Kess" <MartinKess@gmail.com> wrote: > I discovered this accidently, but it looks pretty neat. > > When using F9 - F12, hold shift and it'll go in slow motion. A slightly more useful trick: Activate Expose, then hit tab to cycle between the windows of different apps. -- "Those who enter the country illegally violate the law." -- George W...

cool HOI3 hidden feature
demobilization gets you only 50% of manpower >:-) http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=487076 and yes it is still broken http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=490223 http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=490254 http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489821 > demobilization gets you only 50% of manpower >:-) > http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=487076 > > and yes it is still broken > http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=490223 > http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...

MSFT bug? Or cool feature?
Seems like a bug to me, and it's really annoying--the same version of Excel cannot be recognized by the same program when running under XP versus Vista. But not annoying enough to switch to Linux, which would be a disaster. RL As posted on the Excel Usenet group: I found what seems to be a bug with Excel's encryption, when running the same version of Excel, Excel 2003, SP3, under Vista versus XP. As you may know, you can encrypt an Excel file by clicking, under "Save As", then "Tools", "General Options", "Save Options" where for "Advan...

Cool Feature on SunRocket website
Has anyone else noticed this really cool feature on SunRocket's website where if you click on the phone that the bird sits on, it gives you a promotional code? I didn't know if anyone else knew about this or noticed it. It's sort of a cool little thing, IMO. ...

Apple iLife : 40 Cool Features
The iLife suite has been around for a while now, and iMovie and iPhoto were even available long before all these programs became part of a single retail package. In fact, they've become such a big part of our interaction with Macs that it's hard to imagine using a computer without them. But the problem with owning a program for such a long while is that you can get stuck using the same functions over and over again. Read more: http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/apple/40-cool-ilife-features-you-probably-don-t-use-705088?src=rss&attr=newsall#ixzz0uipC3m8j ...

cool feature in alpine 2.0
Wow, I like it: With alpine 2.0 I can type a name in the "To:"-field when composing a mail and press <TAB> to search a matching entry in my ldap-addressbook. Cool! Thanks to the developers! On 27 Aug 2008 david read the comp.mail.pine post of Holger Marzen, which stated... > Wow, I like it: With alpine 2.0 I can type a name in the "To:"-field > when composing a mail and press <TAB> to search a matching entry in my > ldap-addressbook. > > Cool! Thanks to the developers! > > thanks for sharing. that is so kewl. I had resolved myself to...

Pretty Cool Feature of OS X
Yesterday a co-worker of mine had a serious problem with his MacBook. It seems after applying the 10.4.9 update his system would no longer boot. All he would receive is the prohibited sign when starting up his MacBook. Trying to reset the NVRAM didn't help. According to the Apple documentation the next step was to re-install the OS. Apparently there's no way to manually copy missing/corrupted files onto the HD. This was not something he was looking forward to. So he set out to re-install OS X. He selected the Archive and Install option as he wanted to preserve his data (no backu...

Cool Spotlight "feature"...
....well, it's not actually a separate feature; just an aspect of Spotlight that isn't immediately obvious. Spotlight indexes cached webpages, so that you can search for not only the words in the URL of a page you've previously browsed (i.e. with Spotlight indexing the browser history), but also for the *contents* of that page. So say you've been doing some research on cell biology and you can't remember the name of the person who coined the term "cell" for this usage (Robert Hooke, BTW), but you remember you'd visited a web page at some point that ta...

Wow! .NET has this cool new feature!
> TuneTown is almost complete, but there's an important element that's still missing�an element that highlights one of the coolest features in Windows Forms. To see what I mean, run the application and resize its main window. The window resizes just fine (that's because the form's BorderStyle property is set to Sizable; to prevent resizing, you could change the BorderStyle to FixedDialog), but the controls stay put. Wouldn't it be nice if the controls flowed with the form, automatically resizing and repositioning themselves to utilize all the real estate available ...

one cool feature still missing
hey, as i was testing Mail.2 in Panther, i noticed there was some great features still missing in Eudora : for instance the possibility to make a new mail, and to get mail directly from the Dock don't you think ? -- Arnaud (en Panther.1) www.monibook.com ...

Cool new animated feature film
Hi, I just read about a cool new animated feature film along the lines of Final Fantasy on pluginz.com. Its called Kaena: The Prophecy and its coming out pretty soon. You can check it out here... http://www.pluginz.com/community/news/1913 enjoy! Ricky Seen at Annecy 2003 Terrible. "ricky" <richard@audioscout.com> wrote in message news:48937ee4.0407121700.1b76c4c@posting.google.com... > Hi, > > I just read about a cool new animated feature film along the lines of > Final Fantasy on pluginz.com. Its called Kaena: The Prophecy and its > com...

Really cool feature of Linux media players
I just discovered this by accident. MPlayer, Xine, Totem, VLC, et al will play DVD ISO/UDF images directly, like they were media files! Up to now, I've been mounting the images on the loop device, then running "mplayer -dvd-device /mnt/iso dvd://", but it seems that the first step is no longer necessary. Just "mplayer film.iso" is enough! Cool! -- K. http://slated.org ..---- | "[Microsoft] are willing to lose money for years and years just to | make sure that you don't make any money, either." - Bob Cringely. | - http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2...

cool new feature in SW 2005 sketch
open a sketch in SW 2005, insert a line,choose the angle option and add the add dim's option. Leave values at 0. then free hand sketch your lines. The dim's are add automatic. This is COOL. ...

Cool new features in OpenVMS 8.3
Folks, Yesterday I was poking around http://www.openvms.org when I discovered the following article. http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?story=07/03/16/5227410 with links to three really neat Bruden-OSSG documents in PPT format. One of them describes "new functionality" added to OpenVMS 8.3 including: New Lexicals: F$CUNITS F$MATCH_WILD New Library: LIB$CRC (can speed up tape backups by 50% by reducing CPU overhead) New features in $BACKUP: $BACKUP/REPAIR can repair ftp-induced-saveset-corruption $BACKUP/DATA_FORMAT=COMPRESSED allows for ZLIB compressed backups Check out ...

[News] Firefox the Most Popular Web Browser, Cool features Coming

FEAR ... cool perf settings feature (why doesn't every game have this!?)
This is the first time a game's video performance settings features have impressed me... FEAR's got this really nice feature where after choosing your settings you can click "test" which runs a 30 second benchmark demo (looks like a bunch of action scenes from the demo) and reports back with min, avg, max frames per second. Also, it tells you what % FPS < 25, % between 25 - 40, % above 40 Great feedback on the practical performance impacts of each setting. I was *very* disappointed to discover that I had to drop to 1024x768 to get ~36 fps. My monster rig (3.2Ghz+2GB...