Does Acer have Apple envy?

  • Permalink
  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow


 From Electronista:

http://tinyurl.com/2em2tyo

Curse and discuss.

Does Acer have Apple envy?
Updated 07:55 pm EDT, Tue September 21, 2010

Editorial: Acer next in line of Apple imitators

Acer is well on its way to becoming the world�s largest PC manufacturer. 
And it has done that by capitalizing on the success of Windows. But now 
the company is taking aim at Apple, and it's becoming evident that it's 
the latest victim of a bipolar behavior in the tech industry whenever 
Apple is a competitor.

Earlier this month, Acer veteran Stan Shih said that Apple�s products 
are �mutant viruses� that, over time, will be overcome by competition 
that �evolves naturally� and outlasts the threat Apple�s products pose. 
He pointed to the success of Windows to prove his point. He also 
believed that Android will follow a Windows-like pattern and take out iOS.

Perhaps that�s why Acer seems ready to invest some of its cash into 
Google�s mobile platform. Recent reports suggest the PC maker will be 
offering three tablets at the beginning of next year to compete with 
Apple�s iPad. If true, they will all be powered by Android 3.0 when it�s 
made available. So far, Acer has been tight-lipped on the release of the 
products other than one model, and reports are merely rumors at this 
point. But it�s becoming clearer that the company will be delivering 
tablets sooner rather than later. And when that happens, Acer fully 
expects to compete with Apple�s iPad.

But at this point, Acer isn�t competing in the tablet space -- at all. 
And one could argue that it�s hardly a direct competitor to Apple in any 
market, including the PC space where it�s far more focused on beating HP 
than anything else. That means focusing on cheap computers and tight 
profit margins. That's seemingly at odds with challenging a company that 
prides itself on high-quality (and thus expensive) products where market 
share is an incidental worry.

And yet, Acer seems to have Apple envy. That Shih calls the company�s 
products mutant viruses seems to prove that point quite handily; it's 
afraid of something that grows faster than its own work.

Of course, Apple envy isn�t anything new in the tech space. Microsoft 
has been bashing Apple�s Mac OS X for years even at the same time as it 
was taking notes: Windows Vista was altered to match Tiger's looks, and 
the Windows 7 taskbar's hybrid shortcuts and status icons were borrowed 
from the Mac OS X Dock. Companies like Dell and HP have repeatedly 
claimed to be going their own ways with design, but systems like the 
Adamo XPS and Envy series were meant to snatch MacBook Air and MacBook 
Pro buyers, sometimes with uncannily similar looks. And the mobile space 
is littered with complaints from competitors that attempt to denigrate 
Apple�s iPhone and iPad even as they're releasing similar products of 
their own.

Acer is simply joining a long list.

But it�s a sizable (and important) addition to that list. After all, 
Acer is a major player in the industry. And when it sees Apple�s tablet, 
which is still in its infancy, as a threat tells us everything we need 
to know about Acer�s mindset -- and where it plans to go next with its 
corporate strategy.

Like so many other companies, Acer's real issue isn't that Apple is 
somehow out of control, it just doesn�t like that Apple has 
unprecedented hype for its products. The company also can�t stand that 
Apple is doing so well on so-called �viruses.� Plus, there's even a hint 
of personal jealousy: executives at these firms hate that Steve Jobs 
gets the attention and respect that he does while their management, 
however successful, isn't daring enough to get noticed. It�s a recipe 
for severe distaste.

There must be something about Apple. After all, what other company in 
the space can annoy competitors in one breath yet get them to tag along 
with another?

By Don Reisinger




0
Reply Chance 9/23/2010 4:56:58 PM

See related articles to this posting


On Sep 23, 12:56=A0pm, Chance Furlong <T-B...@megakatcuty.com> wrote:
> =A0From Electronista:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2em2tyo
>
> Curse and discuss.
> ...
> There must be something about Apple. After all, what other company in
> the space can annoy competitors in one breath yet get them to tag along
> with another?
>
> By Don Reisinger

It is interesting to watch the 'disruptive technology' of Apple at
work.   In Windows 7 based tablet news, there's reportedly a Youtube
video making the rounds ... probably a trial balloon? ... of an HP
tablet.

Haven't seen it myself yet, but one comment I've read on it stated
that the HP Win7 tablet took 32 seconds to boot up.   Probably worth
mentioning for Steve deMena's benefit :-)


-hh
0
Reply hh 9/23/2010 5:10:05 PM


"-hh" <recscuba_google@huntzinger.com> wrote in message 
news:9f65c855-c7f7-4a89-936f-3e2ab7396f3f@g18g2000vbn.googlegroups.com...
> On Sep 23, 12:56 pm, Chance Furlong <T-B...@megakatcuty.com> wrote:
>>  From Electronista:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/2em2tyo
>>
>> Curse and discuss.
>> ...
>> There must be something about Apple. After all, what other company in
>> the space can annoy competitors in one breath yet get them to tag along
>> with another?
>>
>> By Don Reisinger
>
> It is interesting to watch the 'disruptive technology' of Apple at
> work.   In Windows 7 based tablet news, there's reportedly a Youtube
> video making the rounds ... probably a trial balloon? ... of an HP
> tablet.
>
> Haven't seen it myself yet, but one comment I've read on it stated
> that the HP Win7 tablet took 32 seconds to boot up.   Probably worth
> mentioning for Steve deMena's benefit :-)

So it puzzles you why a tablet with a full blown OS takes longer 
(supposedly) to boot up cold than a tablet with a phone OS?
 

0
Reply Redjak 9/23/2010 6:54:55 PM

On Sep 23, 2:54=A0pm, "Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "-hh" <recscuba_goo...@huntzinger.com> wrote in message
>
> news:9f65c855-c7f7-4a89-936f-3e2ab7396f3f@g18g2000vbn.googlegroups.com...
>
>
>
> > On Sep 23, 12:56 pm, Chance Furlong <T-B...@megakatcuty.com> wrote:
> >> =A0From Electronista:
>
> >>http://tinyurl.com/2em2tyo
>
> >> Curse and discuss.
> >> ...
> >> There must be something about Apple. After all, what other company in
> >> the space can annoy competitors in one breath yet get them to tag alon=
g
> >> with another?
>
> >> By Don Reisinger
>
> > It is interesting to watch the 'disruptive technology' of Apple at
> > work. =A0 In Windows 7 based tablet news, there's reportedly a Youtube
> > video making the rounds ... probably a trial balloon? ... of an HP
> > tablet.
>
> > Haven't seen it myself yet, but one comment I've read on it stated
> > that the HP Win7 tablet took 32 seconds to boot up. =A0 Probably worth
> > mentioning for Steve deMena's benefit :-)
>
> So it puzzles you why a tablet with a full blown OS takes longer
> (supposedly) to boot up cold than a tablet with a phone OS?

So does it puzzle you why Windows tablets have been a failure for the
last decade?
0
Reply KDT 9/23/2010 8:27:19 PM

On Sep 23, 4:27=A0pm, KDT <scarface...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Sep 23, 2:54=A0pm, "Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > "-hh" <recscuba_goo...@huntzinger.com> wrote in message
>
> >news:9f65c855-c7f7-4a89-936f-3e2ab7396f3f@g18g2000vbn.googlegroups.com..=
..
>
> > > On Sep 23, 12:56 pm, Chance Furlong <T-B...@megakatcuty.com> wrote:
> > >> =A0From Electronista:
>
> > >>http://tinyurl.com/2em2tyo
>
> > >> Curse and discuss.
> > >> ...
> > >> There must be something about Apple. After all, what other company i=
n
> > >> the space can annoy competitors in one breath yet get them to tag al=
ong
> > >> with another?
>
> > >> By Don Reisinger
>
> > > It is interesting to watch the 'disruptive technology' of Apple at
> > > work. =A0 In Windows 7 based tablet news, there's reportedly a Youtub=
e
> > > video making the rounds ... probably a trial balloon? ... of an HP
> > > tablet.
>
> > > Haven't seen it myself yet, but one comment I've read on it stated
> > > that the HP Win7 tablet took 32 seconds to boot up. =A0 Probably wort=
h
> > > mentioning for Steve deMena's benefit :-)
>
> > So it puzzles you why a tablet with a full blown OS takes longer
> > (supposedly) to boot up cold than a tablet with a phone OS?
>
> So does it puzzle you why Windows tablets have been a failure for the
> last decade?

Does it puzzle you why OX X has been a failure since it's release.
Windows has a larger market share of tablets than OS X has on all
hardware combined. LOL
0
Reply MuahMan 9/23/2010 8:40:39 PM


"KDT" <scarface_74@yahoo.com> wrote in message 
news:983c78e5-9020-4901-a3fb-348ced3f4305@m16g2000vbs.googlegroups.com...
> On Sep 23, 2:54 pm, "Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> "-hh" <recscuba_goo...@huntzinger.com> wrote in message
>>
>> news:9f65c855-c7f7-4a89-936f-3e2ab7396f3f@g18g2000vbn.googlegroups.com...
>>
>>
>>
>> > On Sep 23, 12:56 pm, Chance Furlong <T-B...@megakatcuty.com> wrote:
>> >>  From Electronista:
>>
>> >>http://tinyurl.com/2em2tyo
>>
>> >> Curse and discuss.
>> >> ...
>> >> There must be something about Apple. After all, what other company in
>> >> the space can annoy competitors in one breath yet get them to tag 
>> >> along
>> >> with another?
>>
>> >> By Don Reisinger
>>
>> > It is interesting to watch the 'disruptive technology' of Apple at
>> > work.   In Windows 7 based tablet news, there's reportedly a Youtube
>> > video making the rounds ... probably a trial balloon? ... of an HP
>> > tablet.
>>
>> > Haven't seen it myself yet, but one comment I've read on it stated
>> > that the HP Win7 tablet took 32 seconds to boot up.   Probably worth
>> > mentioning for Steve deMena's benefit :-)
>>
>> So it puzzles you why a tablet with a full blown OS takes longer
>> (supposedly) to boot up cold than a tablet with a phone OS?
>
> So does it puzzle you why Windows tablets have been a failure for the
> last decade?

Like the Newton?


 

0
Reply Redjak 9/23/2010 9:27:56 PM

MuahMan <muah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> KDT <scarface...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > "Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > "-hh" <recscuba_goo...@huntzinger.com> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > It is interesting to watch the 'disruptive technology' of Apple at
> > > > work. =A0 In Windows 7 based tablet news, there's reportedly a Yout=
ube
> > > > video making the rounds ... probably a trial balloon? ... of an HP
> > > > tablet.
>
> > > > Haven't seen it myself yet, but one comment I've read on it stated
> > > > that the HP Win7 tablet took 32 seconds to boot up. =A0 Probably wo=
rth
> > > > mentioning for Steve deMena's benefit :-)
>
> > > So it puzzles you why a tablet with a full blown OS takes longer
> > > (supposedly) to boot up cold than a tablet with a phone OS?

Given how bloaty Windows is, its not a huge surprise ... but as KDT
alludes to:

> > So does it puzzle you why Windows tablets have been a failure for
> > the last decade?

Yes, assuming that a particular product must use a "full blown" OS is
a logical fallacy.    A device should be optimized for what its use is
to be, although with perspective tempering on NRE factors.  As such,
the consumer doesn't really need to care if the OS is Flavor "X" or
Flavor "Y":  the question is how well does it do the job assigned to
it, in terms of how that leads to customer satisfaction.

This is in a nutshell the basic reason why Windows tablets have failed
to gain any traction in the marketplace, despite a decade's worth of
their throwing Windows sphagetti against the wall in hopes that some
will stick:  simply put, its the wrong product.


> Does it puzzle you why OX X has been a failure since it's release.
> Windows has a larger market share of tablets than OS X has on all
> hardware combined. LOL

Considering that Apple has never sold any OS X tablet, it is hardly
surprising that Windows has a larger tablet marketshare.   However,
that's once again an example of a failure in comprehension by Dear Old
MuahBoy:  the correct approach is to consider the product that Apple
_has_ entered the tablet marketplace with, which is the iOS based iPad
(although some will also suggest that this space also includes the
iPod touch, too), and how that compares.

While Apple has been mum as of late on iPad sales figures, we do know
that it was reported to be 3.27M as of 21 July (since its April
launch).   In comparison, on 4 Oct 2009, the New York Times reported:

"Tablets running Windows sell only a few hundred thousand units a
year, mostly in business fields like health care and financial
services."
    cite:  <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/05/technology/
05tablet.html>


YMMV as to how many a "few hundred thousand" is precisely, but it does
suggest being under a half million, so at a value of 300K, then Apple
has already matched the last decade's worth of Windows tablet sales
within roughly its first 100 days of sales, which suggests a relative
sales performace ratio of ~30:1 in Apple's favor: "LOL" indeed.



-hh
0
Reply hh 9/23/2010 9:42:45 PM

On Sep 23, 5:27=A0pm, "Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "KDT" <scarface...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> news:983c78e5-9020-4901-a3fb-348ced3f4305@m16g2000vbs.googlegroups.com...
>
>
>
>
>
> > On Sep 23, 2:54 pm, "Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> "-hh" <recscuba_goo...@huntzinger.com> wrote in message
>
> >>news:9f65c855-c7f7-4a89-936f-3e2ab7396f3f@g18g2000vbn.googlegroups.com.=
...
>
> >> > On Sep 23, 12:56 pm, Chance Furlong <T-B...@megakatcuty.com> wrote:
> >> >> =A0From Electronista:
>
> >> >>http://tinyurl.com/2em2tyo
>
> >> >> Curse and discuss.
> >> >> ...
> >> >> There must be something about Apple. After all, what other company =
in
> >> >> the space can annoy competitors in one breath yet get them to tag
> >> >> along
> >> >> with another?
>
> >> >> By Don Reisinger
>
> >> > It is interesting to watch the 'disruptive technology' of Apple at
> >> > work. =A0 In Windows 7 based tablet news, there's reportedly a Youtu=
be
> >> > video making the rounds ... probably a trial balloon? ... of an HP
> >> > tablet.
>
> >> > Haven't seen it myself yet, but one comment I've read on it stated
> >> > that the HP Win7 tablet took 32 seconds to boot up. =A0 Probably wor=
th
> >> > mentioning for Steve deMena's benefit :-)
>
> >> So it puzzles you why a tablet with a full blown OS takes longer
> >> (supposedly) to boot up cold than a tablet with a phone OS?
>
> > So does it puzzle you why Windows tablets have been a failure for the
> > last decade?
>
> Like the Newton?

Like worse than the Zune :-)


-hh

0
Reply hh 9/23/2010 9:43:44 PM

On Sep 23, 4:40=A0pm, MuahMan <muah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 23, 4:27=A0pm, KDT <scarface...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > On Sep 23, 2:54=A0pm, "Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > "-hh" <recscuba_goo...@huntzinger.com> wrote in message
>
> > >news:9f65c855-c7f7-4a89-936f-3e2ab7396f3f@g18g2000vbn.googlegroups.com=
....
>
> > > > On Sep 23, 12:56 pm, Chance Furlong <T-B...@megakatcuty.com> wrote:
> > > >> =A0From Electronista:
>
> > > >>http://tinyurl.com/2em2tyo
>
> > > >> Curse and discuss.
> > > >> ...
> > > >> There must be something about Apple. After all, what other company=
 in
> > > >> the space can annoy competitors in one breath yet get them to tag =
along
> > > >> with another?
>
> > > >> By Don Reisinger
>
> > > > It is interesting to watch the 'disruptive technology' of Apple at
> > > > work. =A0 In Windows 7 based tablet news, there's reportedly a Yout=
ube
> > > > video making the rounds ... probably a trial balloon? ... of an HP
> > > > tablet.
>
> > > > Haven't seen it myself yet, but one comment I've read on it stated
> > > > that the HP Win7 tablet took 32 seconds to boot up. =A0 Probably wo=
rth
> > > > mentioning for Steve deMena's benefit :-)
>
> > > So it puzzles you why a tablet with a full blown OS takes longer
> > > (supposedly) to boot up cold than a tablet with a phone OS?
>
> > So does it puzzle you why Windows tablets have been a failure for the
> > last decade?
>
> Does it puzzle you why OX X has been a failure since it's release.
> Windows has a larger market share of tablets than OS X has on all
> hardware combined. LOL

So in that case, there would have had to have been about 12 million
Windows tablets shipping last year.  If that's the case, who sold
them?
0
Reply KDT 9/23/2010 9:49:56 PM

On 9/23/10 3:40 PM, MuahMan wrote:
>
> Does it puzzle you why OS X has been a failure since its release?
> Windows has a larger market share of tablets than OS X has on all
> hardware combined.

I corrected your grammar.
0
Reply Nigel 9/23/2010 10:34:06 PM

On 9/23/10 4:27 PM, Redjak wrote:

> "KDT" <scarface_74@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> So does it puzzle you why Windows tablets have been a failure for the
>> last decade?
>
> Like the Newton?

What about the Newton? Looks like you admit that Windoze tablets have 
failed big time.
0
Reply Chance 9/23/2010 10:36:01 PM


"-hh" <recscuba_google@huntzinger.com> wrote in message 
news:fa5fd87b-857a-4811-97e9-7c58c6f75515@n7g2000vbo.googlegroups.com...
> On Sep 23, 5:27 pm, "Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> "KDT" <scarface...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> news:983c78e5-9020-4901-a3fb-348ced3f4305@m16g2000vbs.googlegroups.com...
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> > On Sep 23, 2:54 pm, "Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> >> "-hh" <recscuba_goo...@huntzinger.com> wrote in message
>>
>> >>news:9f65c855-c7f7-4a89-936f-3e2ab7396f3f@g18g2000vbn.googlegroups.com...
>>
>> >> > On Sep 23, 12:56 pm, Chance Furlong <T-B...@megakatcuty.com> wrote:
>> >> >>  From Electronista:
>>
>> >> >>http://tinyurl.com/2em2tyo
>>
>> >> >> Curse and discuss.
>> >> >> ...
>> >> >> There must be something about Apple. After all, what other company 
>> >> >> in
>> >> >> the space can annoy competitors in one breath yet get them to tag
>> >> >> along
>> >> >> with another?
>>
>> >> >> By Don Reisinger
>>
>> >> > It is interesting to watch the 'disruptive technology' of Apple at
>> >> > work.   In Windows 7 based tablet news, there's reportedly a Youtube
>> >> > video making the rounds ... probably a trial balloon? ... of an HP
>> >> > tablet.
>>
>> >> > Haven't seen it myself yet, but one comment I've read on it stated
>> >> > that the HP Win7 tablet took 32 seconds to boot up.   Probably worth
>> >> > mentioning for Steve deMena's benefit :-)
>>
>> >> So it puzzles you why a tablet with a full blown OS takes longer
>> >> (supposedly) to boot up cold than a tablet with a phone OS?
>>
>> > So does it puzzle you why Windows tablets have been a failure for the
>> > last decade?
>>
>> Like the Newton?
>
> Like worse than the Zune :-)

The Zune is not a tablet.
 

0
Reply Redjak 9/23/2010 10:47:03 PM


"Chance Furlong" <T-Bone@megakatcuty.com> wrote in message 
news:wt2dnVXaj6fMSwbRnZ2dnUVZ_qydnZ2d@giganews.com...
> On 9/23/10 4:27 PM, Redjak wrote:
>
>> "KDT" <scarface_74@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> So does it puzzle you why Windows tablets have been a failure for the
>>> last decade?
>>
>> Like the Newton?
>
> What about the Newton? Looks like you admit that Windoze tablets have 
> failed big time.

I wouldn't say that.  They just haven't sold that many.  But this is a new 
year, and the iPad has redefined the tablet form.  But it's only been out 
for a few months.  Lots of competition coming,  just like with the iPhone. 

0
Reply Redjak 9/23/2010 10:50:00 PM

"Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "-hh" <recscuba_goo...@huntzinger.com> wrote:
>
> > Like worse than the Zune :-)
>
> The Zune is not a tablet.

Nor was the Newton (it was a PDA), yet that didn't stop you from
trying to draw it into the discussion.


-hh
0
Reply hh 9/24/2010 2:41:38 PM

"-hh" <recscuba_google@huntzinger.com> wrote in message 
news:a56c721a-0b04-4ced-a324-b8233a6182fa@i17g2000vbq.googlegroups.com...
> "Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> "-hh" <recscuba_goo...@huntzinger.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Like worse than the Zune :-)
>>
>> The Zune is not a tablet.
>
> Nor was the Newton (it was a PDA), yet that didn't stop you from
> trying to draw it into the discussion.

The Newton was much closer to a tablet that the Zune could ever be. Your 
desperation is showing. 


0
Reply Redhart 9/24/2010 6:04:24 PM

On Sep 24, 2:04=A0pm, "Redhart" <Hartle...@verizon.com> wrote:
> "-hh" <recscuba_goo...@huntzinger.com> wrote in message
>
> news:a56c721a-0b04-4ced-a324-b8233a6182fa@i17g2000vbq.googlegroups.com...
>
> > "Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> "-hh" <recscuba_goo...@huntzinger.com> wrote:
>
> >> > Like worse than the Zune :-)
>
> >> The Zune is not a tablet.
>
> > Nor was the Newton (it was a PDA), yet that didn't stop you from
> > trying to draw it into the discussion.
>
> The Newton was much closer to a tablet that the Zune could ever be. Your
> desperation is showing.

Sorry, but you're still wrong: the "Tablet" was actually the Message
Pad series, circa 1993-97.


-hh
0
Reply hh 9/24/2010 8:06:53 PM

On Sep 23, 9:56=A0am, Chance Furlong <T-B...@megakatcuty.com> wrote:
> =A0From Electronista:
> http://tinyurl.com/2em2tyo
>
> Curse and discuss.
>
> Does Acer have Apple envy?
> Updated 07:55 pm EDT, Tue September 21, 2010
>
> Editorial: Acer next in line of Apple imitators
....
> Earlier this month, Acer veteran Stan Shih said that Apple=92s products
> are =93mutant viruses=94 that, over time, will be overcome by competition
> that =93evolves naturally=94 and outlasts the threat Apple=92s products p=
ose.
> He pointed to the success of Windows to prove his point. He also
> believed that Android will follow a Windows-like pattern and take out iOS=
..
....
> And yet, Acer seems to have Apple envy. That Shih calls the company=92s
> products mutant viruses seems to prove that point quite handily; it's
> afraid of something that grows faster than its own work.
....

i don't see anything to indicate that they're afraid- they want to use
it to leverage their own strengths.  here's engadget's take:

'Wow, a mutant virus? This analogy may sound like a ringing bell for
another cat fight on the playground, but Acer founder and retired
chairman Stan Shih is actually semi-praising Apple  here. Speaking at
the launch of an Acer touch-themed design competition, Shih said that
while Apple's taking the "revolution" highway to tackle the PC market,
Acer's success has always depended on its time-consuming but more
pragmatic "evolution" strategy, and it'll keep doing so to lay the
ground for the next 30 years or so. '
0
Reply ed 9/24/2010 11:12:24 PM


"-hh" <recscuba_google@huntzinger.com> wrote in message 
news:dd0d23f5-4337-42b7-9098-595eee9ef2fd@q26g2000vbn.googlegroups.com...
> On Sep 24, 2:04 pm, "Redhart" <Hartle...@verizon.com> wrote:
>> "-hh" <recscuba_goo...@huntzinger.com> wrote in message
>>
>> news:a56c721a-0b04-4ced-a324-b8233a6182fa@i17g2000vbq.googlegroups.com...
>>
>> > "Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> >> "-hh" <recscuba_goo...@huntzinger.com> wrote:
>>
>> >> > Like worse than the Zune :-)
>>
>> >> The Zune is not a tablet.
>>
>> > Nor was the Newton (it was a PDA), yet that didn't stop you from
>> > trying to draw it into the discussion.
>>
>> The Newton was much closer to a tablet that the Zune could ever be. Your
>> desperation is showing.
>
> Sorry, but you're still wrong: the "Tablet" was actually the Message
> Pad series, circa 1993-97.

The Zune is not even remotely connected to a tablet. 

0
Reply Redjak 9/25/2010 1:30:20 PM

In article 
<77c47409-f83a-4efc-a08b-ec00e2758903@c13g2000vbr.googlegroups.com>,
 ed <news@atwistedweb.com> wrote:

> On Sep 23, 9:56�am, Chance Furlong <T-B...@megakatcuty.com> wrote:
> > �From Electronista:
> > http://tinyurl.com/2em2tyo
> >
> > Curse and discuss.
> >
> > Does Acer have Apple envy?
> > Updated 07:55 pm EDT, Tue September 21, 2010
> >
> > Editorial: Acer next in line of Apple imitators
> ...
> > Earlier this month, Acer veteran Stan Shih said that Apple�s products
> > are �mutant viruses� that, over time, will be overcome by competition
> > that �evolves naturally� and outlasts the threat Apple�s products pose.
> > He pointed to the success of Windows to prove his point. He also
> > believed that Android will follow a Windows-like pattern and take out iOS.
> ...
> > And yet, Acer seems to have Apple envy. That Shih calls the company�s
> > products mutant viruses seems to prove that point quite handily; it's
> > afraid of something that grows faster than its own work.
> ...
> 
> i don't see anything to indicate that they're afraid- they want to use
> it to leverage their own strengths.

Obviously they'd _like_ to leverage their strengths, but it's not clear 
that their strengths (basically, building cheap commodity hardware 
around other people's established platforms) are immediately relevant to 
the tablet market. They pretty much have to wait around for some 
competent OS vendor to build a plausible tablet system for them (Windows 
7 and in-house Android hack jobs aren't going to cut it) and then hope 
that the tablet market ends up like the PC market rather than, say, like 
the music player market or the game console market.

Praying the winds blow back toward the the only waters you know how to 
navigate is not exactly "leveraging your strengths".

[snip]

-- 
"The game of professional investment is intolerably boring and over-exacting to
anyone who is entirely exempt from the gambling instinct; whilst he who has it
must pay to this propensity the appropriate toll." -- John Maynard Keynes
0
Reply ZnU 9/25/2010 6:39:07 PM

On Sep 25, 9:30=A0am, "Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "-hh" <recscuba_goo...@huntzinger.com> wrote in message
>
> news:dd0d23f5-4337-42b7-9098-595eee9ef2fd@q26g2000vbn.googlegroups.com...
>
>
>
>
>
> > On Sep 24, 2:04 pm, "Redhart" <Hartle...@verizon.com> wrote:
> >> "-hh" <recscuba_goo...@huntzinger.com> wrote in message
>
> >>news:a56c721a-0b04-4ced-a324-b8233a6182fa@i17g2000vbq.googlegroups.com.=
...
>
> >> > "Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> >> "-hh" <recscuba_goo...@huntzinger.com> wrote:
>
> >> >> > Like worse than the Zune :-)
>
> >> >> The Zune is not a tablet.
>
> >> > Nor was the Newton (it was a PDA), yet that didn't stop you from
> >> > trying to draw it into the discussion.
>
> >> The Newton was much closer to a tablet that the Zune could ever be. Yo=
ur
> >> desperation is showing.
>
> > Sorry, but you're still wrong: the "Tablet" was actually the Message
> > Pad series, circa 1993-97.
>
> The Zune is not even remotely connected to a tablet.

And nor is the Zune even remotely connected to being a success :-P


-hh
0
Reply hh 9/25/2010 6:43:00 PM


"-hh" <recscuba_google@huntzinger.com> wrote in message 
news:297d0167-7e7f-43e8-9e97-0fdb5ec61dec@h13g2000yqa.googlegroups.com...
> On Sep 25, 9:30 am, "Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> "-hh" <recscuba_goo...@huntzinger.com> wrote in message
>>
>> news:dd0d23f5-4337-42b7-9098-595eee9ef2fd@q26g2000vbn.googlegroups.com...
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> > On Sep 24, 2:04 pm, "Redhart" <Hartle...@verizon.com> wrote:
>> >> "-hh" <recscuba_goo...@huntzinger.com> wrote in message
>>
>> >>news:a56c721a-0b04-4ced-a324-b8233a6182fa@i17g2000vbq.googlegroups.com...
>>
>> >> > "Redjak" <redjack...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> >> >> "-hh" <recscuba_goo...@huntzinger.com> wrote:
>>
>> >> >> > Like worse than the Zune :-)
>>
>> >> >> The Zune is not a tablet.
>>
>> >> > Nor was the Newton (it was a PDA), yet that didn't stop you from
>> >> > trying to draw it into the discussion.
>>
>> >> The Newton was much closer to a tablet that the Zune could ever be. 
>> >> Your
>> >> desperation is showing.
>>
>> > Sorry, but you're still wrong: the "Tablet" was actually the Message
>> > Pad series, circa 1993-97.
>>
>> The Zune is not even remotely connected to a tablet.
>
> And nor is the Zune even remotely connected to being a success :-P

Did I claim it was?  The Newton was not even remotely connected to being a 
success either. 

0
Reply Redjak 9/25/2010 7:44:09 PM


"ZnU" <znu@fake.invalid> wrote in message 
news:znu-1B1DA4.14390725092010@Port80.Individual.NET...
> In article
> <77c47409-f83a-4efc-a08b-ec00e2758903@c13g2000vbr.googlegroups.com>,
> ed <news@atwistedweb.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 23, 9:56 am, Chance Furlong <T-B...@megakatcuty.com> wrote:
>> >  From Electronista:
>> > http://tinyurl.com/2em2tyo
>> >
>> > Curse and discuss.
>> >
>> > Does Acer have Apple envy?
>> > Updated 07:55 pm EDT, Tue September 21, 2010
>> >
>> > Editorial: Acer next in line of Apple imitators
>> ...
>> > Earlier this month, Acer veteran Stan Shih said that Apple�s products
>> > are �mutant viruses� that, over time, will be overcome by competition
>> > that �evolves naturally� and outlasts the threat Apple�s products pose.
>> > He pointed to the success of Windows to prove his point. He also
>> > believed that Android will follow a Windows-like pattern and take out 
>> > iOS.
>> ...
>> > And yet, Acer seems to have Apple envy. That Shih calls the company�s
>> > products mutant viruses seems to prove that point quite handily; it's
>> > afraid of something that grows faster than its own work.
>> ...
>>
>> i don't see anything to indicate that they're afraid- they want to use
>> it to leverage their own strengths.
>
> Obviously they'd _like_ to leverage their strengths, but it's not clear
> that their strengths (basically, building cheap commodity hardware
> around other people's established platforms) are immediately relevant to
> the tablet market. They pretty much have to wait around for some
> competent OS vendor to build a plausible tablet system for them (Windows
> 7 and in-house Android hack jobs aren't going to cut it) and then hope
> that the tablet market ends up like the PC market rather than, say, like
> the music player market or the game console market.
>
> Praying the winds blow back toward the the only waters you know how to
> navigate is not exactly "leveraging your strengths".

Sounds good.  Sounds like you're in a dead end job. 

0
Reply Redjak 9/25/2010 7:45:26 PM
comp.sys.mac.advocacy 32950 articles. 1 followers. Post

21 Replies
188 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 32


  • Permalink
  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow


Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Dell has Apple Envy
From Fortune http://www.fortune.com/fortune/technology/articles/0,15114,1116867,00.htm l?promoid=yahoo Dell's new XPS line shows that the hardware giant may be taking a page from Steve Jobs's playbook -- Regards, JP "The measure of a man is what he will do while expecting that he will get nothing in return!" "Jim Polaski" <jpolaski@NOSPMync.net> wrote in message news:jpolaski-3068C9.10242213102005@comcast.dca.giganews.com... > From Fortune > > http://www.fortune.com/fortune/technology/articles/0,15114,1116867,00.htm > l?promoid=yahoo > ...

Acer bests Apple
Looks like Acer grew a whopping 15% of market share compared to Apple's 8% market share in just one year selling notebooks. In article <47Kdl.26$yb.24@bignews4.bellsouth.net>, "weedhopper" <WHopper@verizon.com> wrote: > Looks like Acer grew a whopping 15% of market share > compared to Apple's 8% market share in just one year > selling notebooks. It looks like that, does it? Where? I don't see a reference. -- Alan Baker Vancouver, British Columbia <http://gallery.me.com/alangbaker/100008/DSCF0162/web.jpg> "Alan Baker" <ala...

How Acer will sink Apple
Or - another nail in Apple. All for $299. http://www.officemax.com/omax/catalog/sku.jsp?skuId=21769604&searchString=acer&category_Id=null Acer Aspire One 8.9" Netbook PC - AOA150-1635 Weighing just over 2lbs., the Aspire One ultra-portable netbook PC is an ideal travel companion that lets you access the internet, at a fraction of the weight of a traditional notebook PC. This system features an 8.9" WSVGA Display, 1024MB Memory, and a 160GB Hard Drive. In article <wahol.7084$v8.5844@bignews5.bellsouth.net>, "zara" <zaraspook@heddon.com> wrote: >...

Roy admits he envies and ridicules Apple
<http://techrights.org/2011/10/28/losing-respect/> ----- DISDAIN of Apple seems to have increased -- not decreased -- in recent years. It is not a matter of scale. Look at IBM for example. It is possible to be an incredibly large company with a huge number of employees (e.g. HP) yet not be envied or ridiculed much. ----- Yes: Apple has many things Roy wishes he did and wishes the OSS world did: massive success, amazing innovation, hoards of cash, many very happy users. Insanely great products. But here is what Roy is missing: the open source world does h...

Acer wants to look like Apple
From Hard Mac: http://www.hardmac.com/news/2011/04/04/acer-wants-to-look-like-apple Cuss and discuss. Acer wants to look like Apple By Machmeter. Original by Lionel 04/04/2011 19:00:00 CEST Category: PC Last week, Acer fired its CEO after the company announced a loss for the second semester in a row. When the new direction was put in place, it announced that it now wants to be more like Apple, by focusing on better quality products, with a higher value, instead of producing massively low quality products. Acer will launch the transition to a new economic model, w...

Acer, Toshiba beat Apple growth last qtr
By 50%!!! com/2010/04/15/research-firms-paint-very-different-pictures-of-first-quarter-u-s-mac-sales/ On Apr 18, 7:06=A0pm, "Mocassin joe" <joemocasa...@aol.com> wrote: > By 50%!!! > > com/2010/04/15/research-firms-paint-very-different-pictures-of-first-quar= ter-u-s-mac-sales/ How is there net income doing? That's the only growth a company cares about. "KDT" <scarface_74@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:23aaeb0c-7334-4445-901a-b722df3b6117@g30g2000yqc.googlegroups.com... On Apr 18, 7:06 pm, "Mocassin joe" <joemo...

Acer wins! Apple takes loss; still bests Dell & HP
http://tinyurl.com/9xspvb http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&t axonomyId=12&articleId=9126058&intsrc=hm_topic Like some have said here for years, Apple is a victim of its own greed. When you price systems higher than they are worth, eventually it catches up to you. Of course, Apple still bested Dell and HP by showing a positive, so there are still Apple products being sold, just not as many and certainly not as many of the highest priced ones. Some have suggested that Apple get into the low-end market and provide a robust computer a...

[News] [Rival] Microsoft Windows Users Have Apple Envy, Suffer from Bad Design
Lookalikes for Windows Mobile (not Just Windows XP and Vista: Don't Buy that iPhone! Build One! ,----[ Quote ] | For these instructions you will need a touchscreen phone running Windows | Mobile 5 or 6. We will be using an HTC Mogul 6800 for our mod. `---- http://www.i-hacked.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=253 Microsoft's iPhone: http://fakebill.wordpress.com/2007/07/02/the-zitphone/ The following funny video takes the piss out of Microsoft, but it also has the segment where Steve Jobs explains that Microsoft has no sense of taste: http://www.youtube.com/wat...

Apple passes Acer to become third largest U.S. PC vendor
From Apple Insider: http://tinyurl.com/6h9kux Apple being the third PC vendor will torque the Wintrolls' pretty pink frilly panties. Cuss and discuss. Apple passes Acer to become third largest U.S. PC vendor Wednesday, July 16, 2008 By AppleInsider Staff Published: 04:00 PM EST Macs garnered an 8.5 percent share of the U.S. PC market during the second quarter of the year, pushing Apple past Acer in the national rankings and into third place overall, according to preliminary data released Wednesday by market research firm Gartner. Gartner's estimates The Cupertino-based c...

Xentex dual-screen folding laptop on eBay...simply unbelievable design,acer,asus,dell,apple laptops
http://gizmo-luvers.blogspot.com/ Xentex dual-screen folding laptop on eBay ASUS Eee Domination Hypersonic Avenger AG2 notebook Asus-Lamborghini VX3 Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Xi2550 Aspire Gemstone Blue notebooks from Acer Alienware Area-51 m17x BenQ Atom-Based Mid 2 see more visit http://gizmo-luvers.blogspot.com/ ans many more plz leave urr comments and revieews abt the products ...

Xentex dual-screen folding laptop on eBay...simply unbelievable design,acer,asus,dell,apple laptops
http://gizmo-luvers.blogspot.com/ Xentex dual-screen folding laptop on eBay ASUS Eee Domination Hypersonic Avenger AG2 notebook Asus-Lamborghini VX3 Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Xi2550 Aspire Gemstone Blue notebooks from Acer Alienware Area-51 m17x BenQ Atom-Based Mid 2 see more visit http://gizmo-luvers.blogspot.com/ ans many more plz leave urr comments and revieews abt the products ...

Xentex dual-screen folding laptop on eBay...simply unbelievable design,acer,asus,dell,apple laptops
http://gizmo-luvers.blogspot.com/ Xentex dual-screen folding laptop on eBay ASUS Eee Domination Hypersonic Avenger AG2 notebook Asus-Lamborghini VX3 Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Xi2550 Aspire Gemstone Blue notebooks from Acer Alienware Area-51 m17x BenQ Atom-Based Mid 2 see more visit http://gizmo-luvers.blogspot.com/ ans many more plz leave urr comments and revieews abt the products ...

World Of Spectrum, envy, envy, envy.
How come the Specheads get such a brilliant website? Does the 64 have anything even close? <daniel.otoole@ucd.ie> wrote in message news:1143729999.797629.205330@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > How come the Specheads get such a brilliant website? Does the 64 have > anything even close? They only have one site - we have multiple :-) Lance -- // http://landover.no-ip.com Classic machines, classic software // --- avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean. Virus Database (VPS): 0613-1, 03/29/2006 Tested on: 3/31/2006 5:19:51 AM avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Soft...

Apple vs Apple: Apple wins!
Apple wins! <http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/entertainment/4983796.stm> Seems a sensible solution to me... ;-) PS: Just to be clear - Apple, Inc., won - Apple Corps lost. -- /Jon For mail address, run the following in Terminal: echo 36199371860304980107073482417748002696458P|dc Skype: storhaugen On 2006-05-08 03:54:30 -0700, see_signature@mac.com.invalid (Jon) said: > Apple wins! > <http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/entertainment/4983796.stm> > Seems a sensible solution to me... ;-) > > PS: Just to be clear - Apple, Inc., won - Apple Corps lost. To be ev...

Apple Toner, Apple Ink Cartridges, Apple Ribbons
All type of Toners, Ink Cartridges, Ribbons and Printers is made by apple computer. Buy Toner Online is the best company to buy Apple Toners, Apple Ink Cartridges, Apple Ribbons, and Apple Printers. Buy Toner Online shopping store at free shipping charges with cheap rates in Houston Texas. Buy Toner online sales by major apple products are below: Apple ImageWriter =EF=83=98 Apple ImageWriter I/II Apple Laser Writer =EF=83=98 Apple LaserWriter 16 =EF=83=98 Apple LaserWriter 600PS =EF=83=98 Laser Apple Writer II Series =EF=83=98 Apple Laser WriterPro ...

Apple Toner, Apple Ink Cartridges, Apple Ribbons
All type of Toners, Ink Cartridges, Ribbons and Printers is made by apple computer. Buy Toner Online is the best company to buy Apple Toners, Apple Ink Cartridges, Apple Ribbons, and Apple Printers. Buy Toner Online shopping store at free shipping charges with cheap rates in Houston Texas. Buy Toner online sales by major apple products are below: Apple ImageWriter =EF=83=98 Apple ImageWriter I/II Apple Laser Writer =EF=83=98 Apple LaserWriter 16 =EF=83=98 Apple LaserWriter 600PS =EF=83=98 Laser Apple Writer II Series =EF=83=98 Apple Laser WriterPro 600 Series =EF=83=98 Apple Pe...

FT: Apple IIc+ for Apple IIe or Apple II+
I have a complete working Apple IIc+ with built-in 3.5" drive and external 5.25" drive. If anyone is interested, I'd like to trade it for a older working Apple IIe (non-platinum) or an upgraded Apple II+, either one with a couple of the old style Disk-II units (black face). Working and and not yellowed, if possible. The IIc+ is in great shape, I just don't like the style as much as the older ones. - Pete Rittwage http://rittwage.com where are you? On Dec 20, 5:05=A0am, shadoooo <shado...@gmail.com> wrote: > where are you? Augusta, Georgia, US...

Apple Toner, Apple Ink Cartridges, Apple Ribbons
The Buy Toner Online sells Apple Brand Toners, Ink cartridges and Ribbons. The Buy Toner Online is an ISO 9001&140001 certified online shopping site, which provides 100 percent unconditional guarantee to the products it sells. The Buy Online Toner displays top selling products separately to enable the customer to choose their product easily without confusion. Buy Toner online sales by major apple products are below: Apple ImageWriter =EF=83=98 Apple ImageWriter I/II Apple Laser Writer =EF=83=98 Apple LaserWriter 16 =EF=83=98 Apple LaserWriter 600PS =EF=83=98 ...

Apple sues Apple
The inevitable has happened: The Beatles have sued Apple for iTunes and the iPod... expect much more news tomorrow... http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,97064,00.html Woofbert wrote: > > I htink Apple Computer needs to wallop Apple Records once and for all on > this issue. No one's going to confuse Apple Computer for Apple Rercords. > Their logos don't look a bit alike. (Unless there should also be a > lawsuit against Applebees, Apple Travel, and Apple Dental.) > gots to wonder if you read the story. i also wonder how old you are! this is the kind of thing...

Apple II Business Graphics, Apple Forth, Apple Pilot
Does anyone have, or know where to find, any of the following? Apple II Business Graphics Apple Forth Apple Pilot ? On 26 avr, 08:54, KP <kjpm...@gmail.com> wrote: > Does anyone have, or know where to find, any of the following? > > Apple II Business Graphics > Apple Forth > Apple Pilot > > ? Hi KP, I own the complete packages of Apple II business graphics and Apple SuperPilot. What are you precisely looking for? manual? disks? antoine ...

FA: Apple IIe with Apple monitor, DuoDisk, Apple DOS 3.3 + more
http://snipr.com/AppleIIe ...

Motorola is trying to out-Apple Apple
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1938990/motorola-xoom-tablet- slashes-throat Motorola Mobile is trying to hasten its demise by asking a scandalous 1300 UK pounds (which is almost USD$1500) for its Xoom Android tablet. I've seen Android tablets from no-name vendors vaguely disguised as e- readers for $130 USD. Is Motorola trying to out-do Apple by asking TWICE the price of an iPad? I guess they figure they'll just drop the price by half if it doesn't selll well, making it look 'cheap' and still make bumperer profits, just like Apple always does. Th...

Apple To Canadian Apple Stores
No! The iPhone is not yours! No iPhones for you! http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/07/08/spat_with_rogers_leaves_canadian_apple_stores_without_iphones.html -- "Senator Obama has never been a Muslim, was not raised a Muslim, and is a committed Christian" http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/fightthesmearshome/ "...n 1971, Obama enrolled in the Besuki Primary School, a government school, as Barry Soetoro, Muslim" http://web.israelinsider.com/Articles/Politics/12745.htm ""In the Muslim school, the teacher wrote to tell mother I made faces during Koran...

Dear Apple, Dear Apple...
Here's what I need. I need a setting for a global default directory. I have to work in a wide variety of applications and each time I open or save from one, I'm in some other directory than what I need to be. How about a setting where I point to a directory and say "lock my operation to this for a while." I would be very thankful, can I get this some time next week? In article <1hsk8d8.9ytyp2608fcN%leeb@digitalgraphics.net>, leeb@digitalgraphics.net (Lee Blevins) wrote: > Here's what I need. > > I need a setting for a global default directory. >...