Hmmm... ....seems like Android users need their "app store"...

<https://www.wired.com/2016/12/never-ever-ever-download-android-apps-outside-google-play/?mbid=social_fb>
0
Alan

Think security is an Android issue only?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/money/2015/12/23/technology/vshare-apple-apps/index.html
0
Thomas
12/20/2016 1:08:08 PM
On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 8:08:11 AM UTC-5, Thomas E. wrote:
> Think security is an Android issue only?

It isn't, but the point is that Apple was historically
criticized for their App Store solution, which was
derisively called a "Walled Garden".

Case in point:

<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/"walled$20garden"|sort:relevance/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/lHFwLIo9L54/bbHDaT8dYhMJ>

<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/"walled$20garden"|sort:relevance/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/R7FUuEYJ90Q/D2lFGzcrQq0J>

<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/HfUUy2ewMQk/pMXnMTjb4e8J>

And here's even one from you, Tom, from 2011:

<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/atrOvJNYZAk/zjwb5Gopj-oJ>

Google did eventually copy the App Store approach as the
correct security strategy, but they still haven't actually
shut the door to protect their customers.  Maybe next year?

-hh
0
hh
12/20/2016 2:17:33 PM
-hh wrote:

> Google did eventually copy the App Store approach as the
> correct security strategy, but they still haven't actually
> shut the door to protect their customers.  Maybe next year?

Don't pretend that apple had never malware apps in their store. They did,
and it will happen again. And again.
0
Peter
12/20/2016 2:33:12 PM
On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 9:33:13 AM UTC-5, Peter K=C3=B6hlmann wrot=
e:
> -hh wrote:
>=20
> > Google did eventually copy the App Store approach as the
> > correct security strategy, but they still haven't actually
> > shut the door to protect their customers.  Maybe next year?
> >=20
>=20
> Don't pretend that apple had never malware apps in their store.

I didn't ... and stop lying Peter.  That's precisely what
what you deleted out said, namely:

TE> Think security is an Android issue only?=20
HH> It isn't, ...=20

> They did, and it will happen again. And again.

Yes, there will always be security breaches - - regardless
of what OS is being employed.  But the point is that the
current Apple strategy is better than Android's strategy.

-hh

0
hh
12/20/2016 3:14:41 PM
On 2016-12-20 5:08 AM, Thomas E. wrote:
> Think security is an Android issue only?
>
> https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/money/2015/12/23/technology/vshare-apple-apps/index.html

Did I say that?
0
Alan
12/20/2016 3:54:02 PM
On Monday, December 19, 2016 at 10:11:25 PM UTC-8, Alan Baker wrote:
> <https://www.wired.com/2016/12/never-ever-ever-download-android-apps-outside-google-play/?mbid=social_fb>

screw that.  for people who can't make rational decisions about whether to install an app, sure.  for everyone else, eh. kind of like on a computer.

On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 6:17:34 AM UTC-8, -hh wrote:
> ...but they still haven't actually
> shut the door to protect their customers.  Maybe next year?

nope.
0
ed
12/20/2016 4:31:56 PM
On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 9:17:34 AM UTC-5, -hh wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 8:08:11 AM UTC-5, Thomas E. wrote:
> > Think security is an Android issue only?
>
> It isn't, but the point is that Apple was historically
> criticized for their App Store solution, which was
> derisively called a "Walled Garden".
>
> Case in point:
>
> <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/"walled$20garden"|sort:relevance/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/lHFwLIo9L54/bbHDaT8dYhMJ>
>
> <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/"walled$20garden"|sort:relevance/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/R7FUuEYJ90Q/D2lFGzcrQq0J>
>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/HfUUy2ewMQk/pMXnMTjb4e8J>
>

> And here's even one from you, Tom, from 2011:
>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/atrOvJNYZAk/zjwb5Gopj-oJ>
>
> Google did eventually copy the App Store approach as the
> correct security strategy, but they still haven't actually
> shut the door to protect their customers.  Maybe next year?
>

> -hh

Except that you can install apps outside the App Store
0
Thomas
12/21/2016 2:14:29 AM
On 2016-12-20 6:14 PM, Thomas E. wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 9:17:34 AM UTC-5, -hh wrote:
>> On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 8:08:11 AM UTC-5, Thomas E. wrote:
>>> Think security is an Android issue only?
>>
>> It isn't, but the point is that Apple was historically
>> criticized for their App Store solution, which was
>> derisively called a "Walled Garden".
>>
>> Case in point:
>>
>> <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/"walled$20garden"|sort:relevance/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/lHFwLIo9L54/bbHDaT8dYhMJ>
>>
>> <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/"walled$20garden"|sort:relevance/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/R7FUuEYJ90Q/D2lFGzcrQq0J>
>>
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/HfUUy2ewMQk/pMXnMTjb4e8J>
>>

>> And here's even one from you, Tom, from 2011:
>>
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/atrOvJNYZAk/zjwb5Gopj-oJ>
>>
>> Google did eventually copy the App Store approach as the
>> correct security strategy, but they still haven't actually
>> shut the door to protect their customers.  Maybe next year?
>>

>> -hh
>
> Except that you can install apps outside the App Store

Right. Which is precisely the security risk that is highlighted by my
original link (which you naturally snipped):

<https://www.wired.com/2016/12/never-ever-ever-download-android-apps-outside-google-play/>
0
Alan
12/21/2016 2:19:03 AM
On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 9:19:04 PM UTC-5, Alan Baker wrote:
> On 2016-12-20 6:14 PM, Thomas E. wrote:
> >>
> >> It isn't, but the point is that Apple was historically
> >> criticized for their App Store solution, which was
> >> derisively called a "Walled Garden".
> >>
> >> Case in point:
> >>
> >> <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/"walled$20garden"|sort:relevance/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/lHFwLIo9L54/bbHDaT8dYhMJ>
> >>
> >> <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/"walled$20garden"|sort:relevance/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/R7FUuEYJ90Q/D2lFGzcrQq0J>
> >>
> >> <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/HfUUy2ewMQk/pMXnMTjb4e8J>
> >>

> >> And here's even one from you, Tom, from 2011:
> >>
> >> <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/atrOvJNYZAk/zjwb5Gopj-oJ>
> >>
> >> Google did eventually copy the App Store approach as the
> >> correct security strategy, but they still haven't actually
> >> shut the door to protect their customers.  Maybe next year?
> >>

> >> -hh
> >
> > Except that you can install apps outside the App Store
> >

> Right. Which is precisely the security risk that is highlighted by my
> original link (which you naturally snipped):
>
> <https://www.wired.com/2016/12/never-ever-ever-download-android-apps-outside-google-play/>

Which Google Groups phone app snipped. You should expect this app behavior from time-to-time, Liarboy.

As for your post, you highlighted the Android issue and omitted the same iOS issue. Lie by omission. In fact, I challenge you to show any CSMA post critical of Apple or it's products.
0
Thomas
12/21/2016 7:22:33 PM
On 2016-12-21 11:22 AM, Thomas E. wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 9:19:04 PM UTC-5, Alan Baker wrote:

<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/"walled$20garden"|sort:relevance/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/R7FUuEYJ90Q/D2lFGzcrQq0J>

And here's even one from you, Tom, from 2011:

Google did eventually copy the App Store approach as the

>>> Except that you can install apps outside the App Store
>>>

>> Right. Which is precisely the security risk that is highlighted by
>> my original link (which you naturally snipped):
>>
>> <https://www.wired.com/2016/12/never-ever-ever-download-android-apps-outside-google-play/>
>

> Which Google Groups phone app snipped. You should expect this app
> behavior from time-to-time, Liarboy.

Of course it did...

Funny how...  ...selective the snipping is by the app, huh?

> As for your post, you highlighted the Android issue and omitted the
> same iOS issue. Lie by omission. In fact, I challenge you to show any
> CSMA post critical of Apple or it's products.

Evasion.

I noted the Android issue because YOU TFBLB&DOFs have said that the iOS
app store was a bad idea.
0
Alan
12/21/2016 7:31:20 PM
On Wednesday, December 21, 2016 at 2:31:22 PM UTC-5, Alan Baker wrote:
> On 2016-12-21 11:22 AM, Thomas E. wrote:

alled$20garden"|sort:relevance/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/lHFwLIo9L54/bbHDaT8dYh=

> <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/"walled=
$20garden"|sort:relevance/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/R7FUuEYJ90Q/D2lFGzcrQq0J>

MXnMTjb4e8J>

> And here's even one from you, Tom, from 2011:

> Google did eventually copy the App Store approach as the

> >> Right. Which is precisely the security risk that is highlighted by
> >> my original link (which you naturally snipped):
> >>
> >> <https://www.wired.com/2016/12/never-ever-ever-download-android-apps-o=
utside-google-play/>

> > Which Google Groups phone app snipped. You should expect this app
> > behavior from time-to-time, Liarboy.
>=20
> Of course it did...
>=20
>=20
> Funny how...  ...selective the snipping is by the app, huh?
>=20
> >
> > As for your post, you highlighted the Android issue and omitted the
> > same iOS issue. Lie by omission. In fact, I challenge you to show any
> > CSMA post critical of Apple or it's products.
>=20
> Evasion.
>=20
> I noted the Android issue because YOU TFBLB&DOFs have said that the iOS=
=20
> app store was a bad idea.

Not funny at all. It's designed into the software by the programmers. There=
 is a difference between posts from Chrome and from the Google Groups iOS o=
r Android app. The difference is that the app posts only the reply. You are=
 not that dumb, you just want to pick a fight.

I commented several times that I do not like the walls that Apple erects ar=
ound its software. Example: My daughter, a Mac, iPhone and iPad user, can s=
ee all of my Google Photos via a share link. I can also share documents wit=
h her via Google Drive. IIRC iPhoto and iCloud sharing is limited to Apple =
devices. She has to e-mail me her stuff. We cannot figure out how to make i=
t happen. Do you have a solution other than 3rd party OSX/iOS software?

0
Thomas
12/22/2016 2:12:04 PM
On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 6:12:05 AM UTC-8, Thomas E. wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 21, 2016 at 2:31:22 PM UTC-5, Alan Baker wrote:

"walled$20garden"|sort:relevance/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/lHFwLIo9L54/bbHDaT8d=
YhMJ>

> > <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/"wall=
ed$20garden"|sort:relevance/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/R7FUuEYJ90Q/D2lFGzcrQq0J>

> > And here's even one from you, Tom, from 2011:

> > Google did eventually copy the App Store approach as the

> > > Which Google Groups phone app snipped. You should expect this app
> > > behavior from time-to-time, Liarboy.
> >=20
> > Of course it did...
> >=20
> >=20
> > Funny how...  ...selective the snipping is by the app, huh?
> >=20
> > >
> > > As for your post, you highlighted the Android issue and omitted the
> > > same iOS issue. Lie by omission. In fact, I challenge you to show any
> > > CSMA post critical of Apple or it's products.
> >=20
> > Evasion.
> >=20
> > I noted the Android issue because YOU TFBLB&DOFs have said that the iOS=
=20
> > app store was a bad idea.
>=20
> Not funny at all. It's designed into the software by the programmers. The=
re is a difference between posts from Chrome and from the Google Groups iOS=
 or Android app. The difference is that the app posts only the reply. You a=
re not that dumb, you just want to pick a fight.

He does just want to argue. But no, there's no difference between posts fro=
m chrome and the app - there is no app and you're still confusing the mobil=
e site with an app.

ed
12/22/2016 2:28:36 PM
On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 9:28:38 AM UTC-5, ed wrote:
> On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 6:12:05 AM UTC-8, Thomas E. wrote:

y/"walled$20garden"|sort:relevance/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/lHFwLIo9L54/bbHDaT=
8dYhMJ>

> > > <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/"wa=
lled$20garden"|sort:relevance/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/R7FUuEYJ90Q/D2lFGzcrQq0=

Qk/pMXnMTjb4e8J>

> > > And here's even one from you, Tom, from 2011:

Ak/zjwb5Gopj-oJ>

> > > Google did eventually copy the App Store approach as the

> > >=20
> > > Of course it did...
> > >=20
> > >=20
> > > Funny how...  ...selective the snipping is by the app, huh?
> > >=20

> > >=20
> > > Evasion.
> > >=20
> > > I noted the Android issue because YOU TFBLB&DOFs have said that the i=
OS=20
> > > app store was a bad idea.
> >=20
> > Not funny at all. It's designed into the software by the programmers. T=
here is a difference between posts from Chrome and from the Google Groups i=
OS or Android app. The difference is that the app posts only the reply. You=
 are not that dumb, you just want to pick a fight.
>=20
>=20
> He does just want to argue. But no, there's no difference between posts f=
rom chrome and the app - there is no app and you're still confusing the mob=
ile site with an app.
>=20

True, it just looks like an app, it's not.

There is however a big difference. When posting from Chrome, desktop or mob=
ile, conversation history is preserved above the reply, in a reply. The mob=
ile version Google Groups only posts the reply, not the history.
0
Thomas
12/22/2016 5:28:28 PM
On 2016-12-22 9:28 AM, Thomas E. wrote:
> On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 9:28:38 AM UTC-5, ed wrote:

>>> Not funny at all. It's designed into the software by the programmers. There is a difference between posts from Chrome and from the Google Groups iOS or Android app. The difference is that the app posts only the reply. You are not that dumb, you just want to pick a fight.
>>

>> He does just want to argue. But no, there's no difference between posts from chrome and the app - there is no app and you're still confusing the mobile site with an app.

> True, it just looks like an app, it's not.
>
> There is however a big difference. When posting from Chrome, desktop or mobile, conversation history is preserved above the reply, in a reply. The mobile version Google Groups only posts the reply, not the history.

Except the post about which I was complaining contains SOME history,
Liarboy, so your excuse doesn't hold water.
0
Alan
12/22/2016 5:36:21 PM
On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 12:36:25 PM UTC-5, Alan Baker wrote:
> On 2016-12-22 9:28 AM, Thomas E. wrote:

y/"walled$20garden"|sort:relevance/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/lHFwLIo9L54/bbHDaT=
8dYhMJ>

alled$20garden"|sort:relevance/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/R7FUuEYJ90Q/D2lFGzcrQq=
0J>

Qk/pMXnMTjb4e8J>

Ak/zjwb5Gopj-oJ>

 There is a difference between posts from Chrome and from the Google Groups=
 iOS or Android app. The difference is that the app posts only the reply. Y=
ou are not that dumb, you just want to pick a fight.

> >> He does just want to argue. But no, there's no difference between post=
s from chrome and the app - there is no app and you're still confusing the =
mobile site with an app.

> > True, it just looks like an app, it's not.
> >
> > There is however a big difference. When posting from Chrome, desktop or=
 mobile, conversation history is preserved above the reply, in a reply. The=
 mobile version Google Groups only posts the reply, not the history.

>=20
> Except the post about which I was complaining contains SOME history,=20
> Liarboy, so your excuse doesn't hold water.

I never looked, just assumed I was on mobile and Google Groups clipped the =
whole history. So, I have no idea where it went. Anyway, the original is th=
ere. What's the beef asshole liarboy?
0
Thomas
12/22/2016 10:10:34 PM
On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 5:10:35 PM UTC-5, Thomas E. wrote:
> On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 12:36:25 PM UTC-5, Alan Baker wrote:

acy/"walled$20garden"|sort:relevance/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/lHFwLIo9L54/bbHD=
aT8dYhMJ>

"walled$20garden"|sort:relevance/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/R7FUuEYJ90Q/D2lFGzcr=
Qq0J>

YZAk/zjwb5Gopj-oJ>

s. There is a difference between posts from Chrome and from the Google Grou=
ps iOS or Android app. The difference is that the app posts only the reply.=
 You are not that dumb, you just want to pick a fight.

sts from chrome and the app - there is no app and you're still confusing th=
e mobile site with an app.

> > > True, it just looks like an app, it's not.
> > >
> > > There is however a big difference. When posting from Chrome, desktop =
or mobile, conversation history is preserved above the reply, in a reply. T=
he mobile version Google Groups only posts the reply, not the history.

> >=20
> > Except the post about which I was complaining contains SOME history,=20
> > Liarboy, so your excuse doesn't hold water.
>=20
> I never looked, just assumed I was on mobile and Google Groups clipped th=
e whole history. So, I have no idea where it went. Anyway, the original is =
there. What's the beef asshole liarboy?

Ignore last post, I was looking the wrong reply. The one in question is sec=
ond, right after your original. That where mobile Google Groups clipped. La=
ter posts made in desktop Chrome will naturally also be missing the clipped=
 original post.

Before you criticize do a little research, lying asshole.
0
Thomas
12/22/2016 10:16:06 PM
On 2016-12-22 2:10 PM, Thomas E. wrote:
> On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 12:36:25 PM UTC-5, Alan Baker
> wrote:

<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/"walled$20garden"|sort:relevance/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/R7FUuEYJ90Q/D2lFGzcrQq0J>

And here's even one from you, Tom, from 2011:

Google did eventually copy the App Store approach as the

Which Google Groups phone app snipped. You should expect this app

>>> True, it just looks like an app, it's not.
>>>
>>> There is however a big difference. When posting from Chrome,
>>> desktop or mobile, conversation history is preserved above the
>>> reply, in a reply. The mobile version Google Groups only posts
>>> the reply, not the history.
>>>

>> Except the post about which I was complaining contains SOME
>> history, Liarboy, so your excuse doesn't hold water.
>
> I never looked, just assumed I was on mobile and Google Groups
> clipped the whole history. So, I have no idea where it went. Anyway,
> the original is there. What's the beef asshole liarboy?

Beef? No beef, Liarboy. Just an observation about your posting style.

You remove things, then you claim it wasn't you who removed them.

Then you're shown to be lying.

0
Alan
12/22/2016 10:27:29 PM
On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 5:27:31 PM UTC-5, Alan Baker wrote:
> On 2016-12-22 2:10 PM, Thomas E. wrote:
> > On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 12:36:25 PM UTC-5, Alan Baker
> > wrote:

> <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/"walled$20garden"|sort:relevance/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/R7FUuEYJ90Q/D2lFGzcrQq0J>

> And here's even one from you, Tom, from 2011:

> Google did eventually copy the App Store approach as the

> Which Google Groups phone app snipped. You should expect this app

> >> Except the post about which I was complaining contains SOME
> >> history, Liarboy, so your excuse doesn't hold water.
> >
> > I never looked, just assumed I was on mobile and Google Groups
> > clipped the whole history. So, I have no idea where it went. Anyway,
> > the original is there. What's the beef asshole liarboy?
>
> Beef? No beef, Liarboy. Just an observation about your posting style.
>
> You remove things, then you claim it wasn't you who removed them.
>
> Then you're shown to be lying.

You are lying claiming that I removed them when it was the app. Plus, it's not really removed from the conversation. It's actually still there. Go look at the original post.
0
Thomas