IBM AT "selectric" keyboards for iMacs?

I like to use ancient metal-keyed IBM AT keyboards that 'click' when I
hammer on them.  They can take a beating and last forever.  I still use
them on my x86-based machines.  Are there keyboards available for the
Mac that are industrial-strong type keyboards?  I am missing some of the
feeling in my fingers from an old spinal injury, so I like to hear the
clicks of the keyboard when I type.  I guess an Apple version would have
to have these special "apple keys" on it.

Ever see one?

0
bsder6468 (31)

In article <QwvBd.26732$sz2.22336@fe08.lga>, bsd23 <bsder@null.net>
wrote:

> I like to use ancient metal-keyed IBM AT keyboards that 'click' when I
> hammer on them.  They can take a beating and last forever.  I still use
> them on my x86-based machines.  Are there keyboards available for the
> Mac that are industrial-strong type keyboards?  I am missing some of the
> feeling in my fingers from an old spinal injury, so I like to hear the
> clicks of the keyboard when I type.  I guess an Apple version would have
> to have these special "apple keys" on it.
>
> Ever see one?

Nope, but if you can find a way to get a USB adapter to work on any of
the PC keyboards you use, you should be able to hook it up to the Mac.
There's gotta be some solution (maybe via a KVM box) out there.

Good luck.
0
cwkoller2 (266)
1/1/2005 7:20:16 PM
wrote:

> I like to use ancient metal-keyed IBM AT keyboards that 'click' when I
> hammer on them.  They can take a beating and last forever.  I still use
> them on my x86-based machines.  Are there keyboards available for the
> Mac that are industrial-strong type keyboards?  I am missing some of the
> feeling in my fingers from an old spinal injury, so I like to hear the
> clicks of the keyboard when I type.  I guess an Apple version would have
> to have these special "apple keys" on it.
>
> Ever see one?

Yes.

You can probably find an Apple Extended Keyboard II. It's an ADB (old
Apple standard), but a Griffin iMate  universal ADB to USB adapter lets
you connect it to current Macs. Fantastic keyboard, I have several
stashed away, just in case.

Then there is the Matias Tactile Pro USB keyboard, which looks to be a
modern equivalent; http://matias.ca/tactilepro/index.php.
0
sehix (4160)
1/1/2005 9:46:25 PM
bsd23 voiced his/her/it's humble opinion in comp.sys.mac.advocacy on Sat
01 Jan 2005 04:05:50a:

> I like to use ancient metal-keyed IBM AT keyboards that 'click' when I
> hammer on them.  They can take a beating and last forever.  I still use
> them on my x86-based machines.  Are there keyboards available for the
> Mac that are industrial-strong type keyboards?  I am missing some of
the
> feeling in my fingers from an old spinal injury, so I like to hear the
> clicks of the keyboard when I type.  I guess an Apple version would
have
> to have these special "apple keys" on it.
>
> Ever see one?

I've been using a macally USB ikey keyboard for the last few years.  I
picked it up at the local used PC shop for $20.  Made for Mac but works
fine on my PC too. Has a USB port on both sides so it acts like a hub as
well. Use it mostly for typing on my old Lombard w OS 8.6.  Pretty sure
you can enable click sounds in preferences.  I know it'll do that in
windows as I set my mother's comp up for feedback as she's blind and
going for surgery this week to get the feeling back in her hands.

My wife also lacks feeling in her extremities due to childhood scoliosis.
Has two metal rods in her back since twelve and to see her plowing up the
garden with the roto-tiller makes you want to go out there and take over.
Almost sure that that was her plan in the first case.  :0)

--
Later......

     Labrat......  |:^{)

A recent convert to the flightless bird.

0
idontknow1 (176)
1/2/2005 4:14:23 AM
Hi!

A USB to PS/2 adapter worked fine for me with a 500MHz "blue" iMac.

What I'd really like to know is if anyone ever made a PS/2 to ADB adapter.

William

In article <f5YBd.64118$k25.2651@attbi_s53>,
 "William R. Walsh" <newsgroups1@saveyourspam.walshcomptech.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> A USB to PS/2 adapter worked fine for me with a 500MHz "blue" iMac.
>
> What I'd really like to know is if anyone ever made a PS/2 to ADB adapter.
>
> William

found one

http://www.infogrip.com/product_view.asp?RecordNumber=141

Swedish Webcams <http://www.webcams.zap.to>

"""""""""ADD ME""""""""""

MAC SE: "Bomb" "Sys Error" / Address error" at start
Stephen Buggie (505) 863-2390 Psychology Department Univ. of New Mexico, Gallup February 15, 2006 200 College Road Gallup NM 87301 buggie@unm.edu NEED RESCUE DISK! MAC SE -- BOMB System Error / Address Error ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Dear Macintosh experts, My Mac SE crashes at power-up. I gives the bell-chime, then it proceeds though the launch sequence. After showing two extension-icons, it crashes. Then a dialogue...

Hello Partners, Please find the requirement below. Please send the updated resume along with rate and contact no. REQ#1: Title : Java Developer ( Rating Project) Duration : 6 months Rate : open Location : NY strong java, WebLogic 9.2, Web Services, Oracle REQ#2: Title : Java Developer Duration : 4 months Rate : open Location : NY Strong java, SQL REQ#3: Title : VB.Net Consultant Location : NY Duration : 4 months Rate : open Primarily looking at someone who has Excel, VB.net and Oracle (good to have). Req #4: Title : Java Developer (MSA Project) Duration : 6+ months Rate : open Location : NY Note : Please send your updated resume along with contact no karthik@bhaninfo.com : No phone calls please. Thanks & Regards Karthik BhanInfo karthik@bhaninfo.com ...

"my" and "our"

"/a" is not "/a" ?

why "::", not "."

"out" and "in out"

about "++" and "--"

"If then; if then;" and "If then; if;"

"or" and "and"

A problem about "[ ]" "( )" "="

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

WANTED: Rescue disk Mac SE "Sys Error" "Address Error"
Stephen Buggie (505) 863-2390 Psychology Department Univ. of New Mexico, Gallup February 15, 2006 200 College Road Gallup NM 87301 buggie@unm.edu NEED RESCUE DISK! MAC SE -- BOMB System Error / Address Error ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Dear Macintosh experts, My Mac SE crashes at power-up. I gives the bell-chime, then it proceeds though the launch sequence. After showing two extension-icons, it crashes. Th...

Is it possible to distinguish the "." key from numeric keyboard and the "." from the keyboard itself?
Is it possible to distinguish the "." key from numeric keyboard and the "." from the keyboard itself? The inkey returns for both of them the same value when the writing language is English but when we are writing in another language (that supports "," as decimal separator) the "." key from numeric keyboard returns ",". What we want is when we use inkey to be possible to distinguish this 2 keys so it will be possible to translate the "." key from the numeric keyboard to returns always a dot. Under Dos it returns always "." on...

Hello Partners, How are you ? Please find the requirement below. Location : NY Duration : 8 mnths Rate :Open Job description: Java/J2EE Web Service Developer =B7 (4+ years of application development experience in Java/J2EE and Web service technologies. =B7 Experience with spring & Hibernate. =B7 Experience with J2EE Application Server (preferably Web logic). =B7 Preferable Aqua logic DSP Experience =B7 Preferable Sonic ESB Composite Service experience Experience w...

Gary Sokolich """"""

Question about "sprintf" "@" "do for"

Re: "out" and "in out"
"no reliable initial value" means, you cannot rely on the value, but it may have a value. This depends on the parameter passing mechanism, which is _not_ related to the parameter mode (contrary to what many people think). So the parameter mode is there (nearly) solely for the information of the reader. The parameter passing mechanism for all kinds of parameters is defined in the RM. There are parameters passed by copy (in and out), by reference; for some it is explicitly left undefined. In your case, the passing mechanism is by reference, so you get what you get. But don't rely...

Why is "$A::a" and "$a" diffrent ?
The following code doesn't make any sense, does it ? { package A; my $a = 3; if( ! ($a == $A::a) ){print "not equal\n"} } #output will be: not equal Why ? I think $A::a equals $a. If I do not use "my" operator, output will be the one as I expect. Does "my" operator do something in this case? Without my operator>> { package A; $a = 3; if(!($a == $A::a)){print "not equal\n"} else{ print "equal\n";} } #output: equal your my declaration introduced a new $a that is local in scope On 2008-03-14, jh3an <jh3ang@gmail.com> wr...

Web resources about - IBM AT "selectric" keyboards for iMacs? - comp.sys.mac.advocacy