If Samsung really doesn't sell a whole lot of 'cheap "junk phones"'...

....(and those are Forbes's words, not mine)...

....then how is it that:

'Samsung shipped 2x more phones than Apple, earned half as much'

<http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/04/29/samsung-shipped-2x-more-phones-than-apple-earned-half-as-much->

See, if you trolls are right about everything, then Samsung's market
share can't be mostly low-end phones, now can it?

Because if it was, they'd have a lot more to show for all those sales,
wouldn't they?

<http://blogs.strategyanalytics.com/WSS/post/2014/04/29/Strategy-Analytics-Global-Smartphone-Shipments-Reach-285-Million-Units-in-Q1-2014.aspx>

Now, go on, trolls:

Get busy with the handwaving and the whining!

:-)

0
Alan

On Tuesday, April 29, 2014 10:52:51 AM UTC-7, Alan Baker wrote:
> ...(and those are Forbes's words, not mine)...

of course those weren't forbe's words to describe samsung phones (at least not according to your previous post) - the quote you had quite implied otherwise in fact:  "It turns out that two thirds of the devices that make up Android's 81
percent market share are cheap junk phones. The remainder is
primarily Samsung, which makes up 39.9 percent of the total Android
devices shipped."

> Because if it was, they'd have a lot more to show for all those sales,
> wouldn't they?

low end vs high end doesn't speak to your margins.

ed
4/29/2014 7:35:24 PM
On 2014-04-29 19:35:24 +0000, ed said:

> On Tuesday, April 29, 2014 10:52:51 AM UTC-7, Alan Baker wrote:
>> ...(and those are Forbes's words, not mine)...
>
> of course those weren't forbe's words to describe samsung phones (at
> least not according to your previous post) - the quote you had quite
> implied otherwise in fact:  "It turns out that two thirds of the
> devices that make up Android's 81
> percent market share are cheap junk phones. The remainder is
> primarily Samsung, which makes up 39.9 percent of the total Android
> devices shipped."

>> Because if it was, they'd have a lot more to show for all those sales,
>> wouldn't they?
>
> low end vs high end doesn't speak to your margins.

LOL

0
Alan
4/29/2014 7:38:31 PM
On Tuesday, April 29, 2014 12:38:31 PM UTC-7, Alan Baker wrote:
> On 2014-04-29 19:35:24 +0000, ed said:
> > On Tuesday, April 29, 2014 10:52:51 AM UTC-7, Alan Baker wrote:
> >> ...(and those are Forbes's words, not mine)...
> > of course those weren't forbe's words to describe samsung phones (at
> > least not according to your previous post) - the quote you had quite
> > implied otherwise in fact:  "It turns out that two thirds of the
> > devices that make up Android's 81
> > percent market share are cheap junk phones. The remainder is
> > primarily Samsung, which makes up 39.9 percent of the total Android
> > devices shipped."
> >> Because if it was, they'd have a lot more to show for all those sales,
> >> wouldn't they?
> > low end vs high end doesn't speak to your margins.
>
> LOL

lol indeed.  go google up the top automakers in operating margins.  csma's favorite car brand is going to show up in your results.  ;D
0
ed
4/29/2014 7:42:30 PM

"Alan Baker"  wrote in message news:ljootj$v2q$1@news.datemas.de...

>...(and those are Forbes's words, not mine)...

>...then how is it that:

>'Samsung shipped 2x more phones than Apple, earned half as much'

><http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/04/29/samsung-shipped-2x-more-phones-than-apple-earned-half-as-much->

>See, if you trolls are right about everything, then Samsung's market
>share can't be mostly low-end phones, now can it?

>Because if it was, they'd have a lot more to show for all those
>sales, wouldn't they?

><http://blogs.strategyanalytics.com/WSS/post/2014/04/29/Strategy-Analytics-Global-Smartphone-Shipments-Reach-285-Million-Units-in-Q1-2014.aspx>

>Now, go on, trolls:

>Get busy with the handwaving and the whining!

Widdle baby needs attention?

Your father should see you now.  I wonder how he would feel knowing
what a loser he spawned.  But he probably did know it.

Too bad you have to split mommy's inheritance four ways.

-- "One day closer to payday".
Says Alwin "Zero" Baker, rubbing his hands together and waiting for
his mommy to die.

0
Puffin
4/29/2014 7:44:12 PM

"ed"  wrote in message

On Tuesday, April 29, 2014 12:38:31 PM UTC-7, Alan Baker wrote:
> On 2014-04-29 19:35:24 +0000, ed said:
> > On Tuesday, April 29, 2014 10:52:51 AM UTC-7, Alan Baker wrote:
> >> ...(and those are Forbes's words, not mine)...
> > of course those weren't forbe's words to describe samsung phones
> > (at
> > least not according to your previous post) - the quote you had
> > quite
> > implied otherwise in fact:  "It turns out that two thirds of the
> > devices that make up Android's 81
> > percent market share are cheap junk phones. The remainder is
> > primarily Samsung, which makes up 39.9 percent of the total
> > Android
> > devices shipped."
> >> Because if it was, they'd have a lot more to show for all those
> >> sales,
> >> wouldn't they?
> > low end vs high end doesn't speak to your margins.
>
> LOL

>lol indeed.  go google up the top automakers in operating margins.
>csma's favorite car brand is going to show up in your results.  ;D

  He's going to start whining any minute about your "game playing".

0
Puffin
4/29/2014 7:55:22 PM
On 2014-04-29 19:44:12 +0000, Puffin Killer said:

> "Alan Baker"  wrote in message news:ljootj$v2q$1@news.datemas.de...
>
>> ...(and those are Forbes's words, not mine)...
>
>> ...then how is it that:
>
>> 'Samsung shipped 2x more phones than Apple, earned half as much'
>
>> <http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/04/29/samsung-shipped-2x-more-phones-than-apple-earned-half-as-much->
>>

>> See, if you trolls are right about everything, then Samsung's market
>> share can't be mostly low-end phones, now can it?
>
>> Because if it was, they'd have a lot more to show for all those sales,
>> wouldn't they?
>
>> <http://blogs.strategyanalytics.com/WSS/post/2014/04/29/Strategy-Analytics-Global-Smartphone-Shipments-Reach-285-Million-Units-in-Q1-2014.aspx>
>>

>> Now, go on, trolls:
>
>> Get busy with the handwaving and the whining!
>
> Widdle baby needs attention?
>
> Your father should see you now.  I wonder how he would feel knowing
> what a loser he spawned.  But he probably did know it.
>
> Too bad you have to split mommy's inheritance four ways.
>

> -- "One day closer to payday".
> Says Alwin "Zero" Baker, rubbing his hands together and waiting for his
> mommy to die.

LOL

0
Alan
4/29/2014 7:56:45 PM
On 2014-04-29 4:42 PM, ed wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 29, 2014 12:38:31 PM UTC-7, Alan Baker wrote:
>>> of course those weren't forbe's words to describe samsung phones (at
>>> least not according to your previous post) - the quote you had quite
>>> implied otherwise in fact:  "It turns out that two thirds of the
>>> devices that make up Android's 81
>>> percent market share are cheap junk phones. The remainder is
>>> primarily Samsung, which makes up 39.9 percent of the total Android
>>> devices shipped."
>>> low end vs high end doesn't speak to your margins.
>>
>> LOL
>
> lol indeed.  go google up the top automakers in operating margins.

Wow, good point there, ed!

Off to the tall weeds.....

0
Nashton
4/30/2014 12:30:09 AM
On 2014-04-30 00:30:09 +0000, Nashton said:

> On 2014-04-29 4:42 PM, ed wrote:
>>>
>>> LOL
>>
>> lol indeed.  go google up the top automakers in operating margins.
>
> Wow, good point there, ed!
>
> Off to the tall weeds.....

In what way is that a "good point", Nicolas?

0
Alan
4/30/2014 2:22:06 AM
In article <ljootj$v2q$1@news.datemas.de>,
 Alan Baker <alangbaker@telus.net> wrote:

> ...(and those are Forbes's words, not mine)...
>
> ...then how is it that:
>
> 'Samsung shipped 2x more phones than Apple, earned half as much'
>
> <http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/04/29/samsung-shipped-2x-more-phones-than
> -apple-earned-half-as-much->
>

> See, if you trolls are right about everything, then Samsung's market
> share can't be mostly low-end phones, now can it?
>
> Because if it was, they'd have a lot more to show for all those sales,
> wouldn't they?
>
> <http://blogs.strategyanalytics.com/WSS/post/2014/04/29/Strategy-Analytics-Glo
> bal-Smartphone-Shipments-Reach-285-Million-Units-in-Q1-2014.aspx>
>

> Now, go on, trolls:
>
> Get busy with the handwaving and the whining!
>
> :-)

Actually, it is likely that at least some of the reason for lower
earnings is smaller margins on more expensive phones. I don't know if
that is true, but it is one explanation.
0
David
4/30/2014 3:18:14 PM
On 2014-04-30 15:18:14 +0000, David Fritzinger said:

> In article <ljootj$v2q$1@news.datemas.de>,
>  Alan Baker <alangbaker@telus.net> wrote:
>
>> ...(and those are Forbes's words, not mine)...
>>
>> ...then how is it that:
>>
>> 'Samsung shipped 2x more phones than Apple, earned half as much'
>>
>> <http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/04/29/samsung-shipped-2x-more-phones-than
>> -apple-earned-half-as-much->
>>

>> See, if you trolls are right about everything, then Samsung's market
>> share can't be mostly low-end phones, now can it?
>>
>> Because if it was, they'd have a lot more to show for all those sales,
>> wouldn't they?
>>
>> <http://blogs.strategyanalytics.com/WSS/post/2014/04/29/Strategy-Analytics-Glo
>> bal-Smartphone-Shipments-Reach-285-Million-Units-in-Q1-2014.aspx>
>>

>> Now, go on, trolls:
>>
>> Get busy with the handwaving and the whining!
>>
>> :-)
>
> Actually, it is likely that at least some of the reason for lower
> earnings is smaller margins on more expensive phones. I don't know if
> that is true, but it is one explanation.

I can't imagine that Samsung would have lower margins on their premium
phones.  With the prices they sell at, and their mfg skills the cost to
build them would be in line with iOS devices that are similar I would
think.

--
Lloyd

0
Lloyd
4/30/2014 3:27:58 PM
On 4/30/2014 11:18 AM, David Fritzinger wrote:
> In article <ljootj$v2q$1@news.datemas.de>,
>   Alan Baker <alangbaker@telus.net> wrote:
>
>> ...(and those are Forbes's words, not mine)...
>>
>> ...then how is it that:
>>
>> 'Samsung shipped 2x more phones than Apple, earned half as much'
>>
>> <http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/04/29/samsung-shipped-2x-more-phones-than
>> -apple-earned-half-as-much->
>>

>> See, if you trolls are right about everything, then Samsung's market
>> share can't be mostly low-end phones, now can it?
>>
>> Because if it was, they'd have a lot more to show for all those sales,
>> wouldn't they?
>>
>> <http://blogs.strategyanalytics.com/WSS/post/2014/04/29/Strategy-Analytics-Glo
>> bal-Smartphone-Shipments-Reach-285-Million-Units-in-Q1-2014.aspx>
>>

>> Now, go on, trolls:
>>
>> Get busy with the handwaving and the whining!
>>
>> :-)
>
> Actually, it is likely that at least some of the reason for lower
> earnings is smaller margins on more expensive phones. I don't know if
> that is true, but it is one explanation.

Actually, that explanation does make sense.  I would think the margins
are less on the more expensive phones especialy given the fierce
competition in the Android marketplace.

--
MFB
0

how to make ["a","b",["c","d"],"e"] into ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', 'e'] ?
--001a11c34e8edbc7c404f6a94bbe Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 >>> x=["a","b",["c","d"],"e"] >>> y=x[2] >>> y ['c', 'd'] >>> x.insert(2,y[0]) >>> x ['a', 'b', 'c', ['c', 'd'], 'e'] >>> x.insert(3,y[1]) >>> x ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', ['c', 'd'], 'e'] >>> del x[4] >>> x ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', &#...

Why """, not '''?
Why is """ the preferred delimiter for multi-line strings? On Mar 5, 9:56 am, MartinRineh...@gmail.com wrote: > Why is """ the preferred delimiter for multi-line strings? Is it ? FWIW, I use single quotes whenever I can and double whenever I have to (i.e. rarely). George On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 06:56:24 -0800 (PST) MartinRinehart@gmail.com wrote: > Why is """ the preferred delimiter for multi-line strings? Where did you see that? The only place I saw it was the style guide and it was only talking about docstrings. Even there they used "...

'Cheap "junk phones"'
Trolls: those aren't my words. Their Forbes's words: 'The cause of the discrepancy between market share and profit lies in the second half of the IDC market share statement about Android. It turns out that two thirds of the devices that make up Android�s 81 percent market share are cheap �junk phones�. The remainder is primarily Samsung, which makes up 39.9 percent of the total Android devices shipped. There is another area where dominant market share isn�t turning out to be an advantage for Android. In spite of a greater than six-to-one advantage in device mark...

Why doesn't Python's "robotparser" like Wikipedia's "robots.txt" file?
For some reason, Python's parser for "robots.txt" files doesn't like Wikipedia's "robots.txt" file: >>> import robotparser >>> url = 'http://wikipedia.org/robots.txt' >>> chk = robotparser.RobotFileParser() >>> chk.set_url(url) >>> chk.read() >>> testurl = 'http://wikipedia.org' >>> chk.can_fetch('Mozilla', testurl) False >>> The Wikipedia robots.txt file passes robots.txt validation, and it doesn't disallow unknown browsers. But the Python pars...

'quote' to `quote'
Hi, what is the way to change 'shocking,' said Sally into `shocking', said Sally automatically as Tex read the author.txt file? Does this method also change "whatever happens," he said into ``whatever happens.'' he said. David R David R <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk> wrote: > what is the way to change 'shocking,' said Sally > into `shocking', said Sally > automatically as Tex read the > author.txt file? It is possible (e.g. via an active '). But I suspect, this is a lot easier using a script language or similar. Also you ...

"Select" & "Order By" OK- ''WHERE'' Does'nt Work !
Before i post actual code, as i need a speedyish reply. Can i first ask if anyone knows off the top of their head, if there is a likely obvious cause to the following problem. For the moment i've reduced my form request to a simple text string entry, instead of my desired optional parameters. As i have been stuck with a single unfathomable glitch for over a year. Basically, if i enter queries such as ; "select * from table" "select * from table order by artist", it works perfectly. However if i introduce the 'where' option, as in "select * from table where ...

Procmail: COMSAT="yes" doesn't 'stick'
In my INCLUDERC that does 'blacklist' processing, I set COMSAT="no" at the top to skip the wasted calls when the email is only going to go to /dev/null. Then, at the bottom of my 'blacklist' INCLUDERC, I again set COMSAT="yes" for processing across the remaining 4 INCLUDERC's. However, I see COMSAT being set to "no" after I have set it to "yes". I tested it with _both_ COMSAT="yes and with _no_ COMSAT assignment in my .procmailrc with identical results. I then tested it by setting COMSAT="yes" at the end of the 'b...

Steve Jobs

Why doesn't can't a vector of "Derived" be passed to function taking vector of "Base"?
I have these classes (elided methods): class Base { public: Base(string name) {...} }; class Derived : public Base { public: Derived(String name) : Base( name ) {...} }; And neither of these work: /*** ATTEMPT ONE **/ void create(std::vector<Base>& arr) { ... } int main() { std::vector<Derived> arr; create( arr ); } /*** ATTEMPT TWO **/ void create(std::vector<Base*>& arr) { ... } int main() { std::vector<Derived*> arr; ...

SOLVED: "'Star Wars' Won't Play on This Mac?"
As I suspected, the problem has nothing to do with DRM or with HD vs SD. It's apparently a bug in iTunes. And the bug is at least two years old. When I first attempted to play the movie on my iMac the movie-list display mode (upper right corner) was set to "Movies," which provides a graphic image of the "CD package." I usually don't use that mode because I can read and I prefer list view ("Movie List"), but I thought nothing of it; the Star Wars graphic was at the top, so I double clicked it and repeatedly received the "...selected movie won...

Can't "click through" Static Text even with 'HitTest' set to 'off'?
I've got a GUI with some static text labels that I created in an .m file using the uicontrol() function. I made sure upon creation to set 'HitTest' to 'off'. I can check the controls after the fact, and indeed they all have 'HitTest' set to 'off'. However, I have a ButtonDownFcn call for the entire figure (I'm trying to tell when the user clicks on a specific piece of static text, but the text controls are generated dynamicall). If the user clicks on the figure background, the function executes properly. However, when the static text controls ...

Hello. Well, I found this piece of code on php.net. Thats fine but where can i find explanation for all these ("|\')?([^ "\']*)("|\')?.*>([^<]*)' syntax so that I can construct my own rules for all kind of eregi preg and oter match functions ? Transform HTML links into plain-text "links" with the URL visible function AHREF2text($string) { return eregi_replace('<A .*HREF=("|\')?([^ "\']*)("|\')?.*>([^<]*)</A>', '[\\4] (link: \\2)', $string); } And another simple question, maybe ...

Mandis Quotes (aka retiring """ and ''')
Jef Raskin (namedropping) has pointed me at a neat scheme for quoting arbitrary textual matter called "Mandis quotes". Since google is ignorant of the phrase, I presume that Jef made it up. It is disgustingly simple, and very Pythonesque. Here's how it works: If you have a string that doesn't have any single quotes in it, you surround the string by a pair of doubled single quotes. ''Like this''. No backslash interpolation. If you want a character in there, you put it in there (yes, I know, stand down your armies). Clearly, then, any character except a si...

lynx 'browser' can't do "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>"
lynx is lighteningly fast to fetch a set of pages [via a script] via dump > fileID. But [my current version] doesn't render the 'style' of: "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>" What is this new "xml" crap ? Will it likely take over the older *.html ? Thanks for any info, == Chris Glur. news@absamail.co.za wrote in news:1172596265.663611@vasbyt.isdsl.net: > lynx is lighteningly fast to fetch a set of pages [via a script] via > dump > fileID. > > But [my current version] doesn't ...

Web resources about - If Samsung really doesn't sell a whole lot of 'cheap "junk phones"'... - comp.sys.mac.advocacy