Is a Mac Right For You? A growing number of entrepreneurs are deciding a Mac is the right computer for them.

From Entrepreneur.com:

http://tinyurl.com/5moenl

Cuss and discuss.

Is a Mac Right For You? A growing number of entrepreneurs are deciding a
Mac is the right computer for them.

By Jason R. Rich �October 20, 2008

Not long ago, if you were to ask PC users what they thought about Apple
Macs, you'd probably get one of two responses: Either they'd say, "Oh,
those are the computers used by college students," or you'd hear,
"Aren't Macs used only by creative types, like artists and musicians?"
What today's�business�people and�entrepreneurs�are quickly beginning to
understand is that Apple's iMacs (desktop computers) and MacBooks
(notebook computers) can not only handle virtually every business
application a PC can handle, but also provide a more stress-free
computing experience.

Today's Macs are more intuitive and stable than PCs running Windows
Vista or XP, and they can even run Windows applications. Mac users also
worry less while surfing the web, since the Mac OS X operating system is
not susceptible to spyware or viruses.

Another benefit is Apple's technical support (for those who pay for the
optional AppleCare program), which feature unlimited in person or
telephone support from Mac experts who speak in layman's terms and are
knowledgeable about the products. Apple has virtually eliminated long
hold times for telephone support and welcomes users to receive in-person
support or repairs at any Apple Store.

Apple also now offers a free�service�that will transfer all of your
existing PC data to a new Mac when it's purchased at an Apple Store. For
an additional $99 a year, Apple will provide one on one training on any
Mac to get new users up to speed on the differences between the Windows
and the Mac OS X operating system.

Some Businesses Are Making the Mac Migration

Several factors have come together to send some entrepreneurs toward
Macs. First, Apple has launched the successful "I'm�a Mac" ad campaign.
Also, the Mac OS X Leopard operating system has made it possible and
more attractive for third party software developers to release Mac
versions of popular business applications.

Recent hardware upgrades now allow Macs to run Windows XP or Vista,
meaning that if a Mac version of a popular business application isn't
yet available, the user can run the Widows version without experiencing
slow processing speeds or other hassles.

While Macs and PCs still operate differently, Apple and its software
developers have overcome many data compatibility issues, meaning that
data from a Mac can now be exchanged with a PC. Plus, Macs can be
connected to�office�networks.

Business Applications That are Mac Friendly

Microsoft Office has long been a highly used application among business
PC users. Until its most recent release, however, the Mac version of
Microsoft Office had compatibility issues with the PC version, meaning
documents created on one platform could not easily be transferred to the
other.

With the release of Microsoft Office Mac: 2008 edition, compatibility
issues with data and files created on a PC vs. a Mac have been virtually
eliminated, making it possible for PC and Mac users to communicate and
operate better together in a work environment.

Other popular business applications that were once available exclusively
to Windows users, like�Quicken,�QuickBooks�and PersonalBrain Pro, are
also now Mac compatible. Plus, you'll find Mac versions of almost every
popular Adobe application (including Photoshop CS3, InDesign CS3 and
Illustrator CS3).

While Macs come with dozens of useful applications built in (including
the iLife '08 suite of programs), Apple's�website�offers a�download
section, which allows users to download shareware or 30-day free trial
versions of thousands of first- and third-party software applications,
including many popular business applications.

By trying software before purchasing it, users can determine which
applications are best suited to meet their unique computing needs. Any
Mac OS X software application will run on any current iMac or MacBook,
so there's no need to worry about matching up system specifications,
processor speeds, sound card or graphics card compatibility.

Transfer Files and Data with Ease

For Mac users doing their computing in a Windows dominated environment,
there are several third-party products, including iTornado ($79.95),
that make transferring data and files between a Mac and a Windows-based
PC easy.

iTornado incorporates a proprietary, 4-foot-long USB cable that connects
two computers (such as a Mac and PC, two PCs, or two Macs). The cable
has built-in file transfer software, allowing instant configuration and
data transfer of files that the user selects using a point-and-click
interface.

BlackBerry, Palm Treo, Windows Mobile or Apple iPhone users can also
sync data between popular Mac applications and their mobile devices
using first and third party software, such as�Mark/Space's Missing
Link�application ($39.95).

The only way to know if you're a Mac person is to try one. The sleek,
ergonomic design of these machines might catch your eye, but the
functionality of the latest Macs will definitely meet your business
computing needs.

Making Megakat City safer one troll at a time.
0
t-bone2 (2779)

Chance Furlong wrote:
> From Entrepreneur.com:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5moenl
>
> Cuss and discuss.

Poorly written, full of inaccuracies, outdated information,
unsubstantiated statements.

By the way, what is "a growing number"? From 5 to 10?  10,000 to
100,000,000?  Could be both, couldn't it?

Steve
0
steve13 (4870)
10/28/2008 7:39:01 AM
In article <dPqdnXys9dQLXJvUnZ2dnUVZ_tudnZ2d@giganews.com>,
 Steve de Mena <steve@stevedemena.com> wrote:

> Chance Furlong wrote:
> > From Entrepreneur.com:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/5moenl
> >
> > Cuss and discuss.
>
> Poorly written, full of inaccuracies, outdated information,
> unsubstantiated statements.

Assertions which you haven't substantiated...

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
"Chance Furlong" <t-bone@megakatcity.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> that make transferring data and files between a Mac and a Windows-based
> PC easy.
>
> iTornado incorporates a proprietary, 4-foot-long USB cable that connects
> two computers (such as a Mac and PC, two PCs, or two Macs). The cable
> has built-in file transfer software, allowing instant configuration and
> data transfer of files that the user selects using a point-and-click
> interface.
>
> BlackBerry, Palm Treo, Windows Mobile or Apple iPhone users can also
> sync data between popular Mac applications and their mobile devices
> using first and third party software, such as Mark/Space's Missing
> Link application ($39.95).
>
> The only way to know if you're a Mac person is to try one. The sleek,
> ergonomic design of these machines might catch your eye, but the
> functionality of the latest Macs will definitely meet your business

It sounds like he enjoyed his dream. I wonder if he woke up yet?

On Oct 28, 3:39=A0am, Steve de Mena <st...@stevedemena.com> wrote:
> Chance Furlong wrote:
> > From Entrepreneur.com:
>
> >http://tinyurl.com/5moenl
>
> > Cuss and discuss.
>
> Poorly written, full of inaccuracies, outdated information,
> unsubstantiated statements.
>
> By the way, what is "a growing number"? From 5 to 10? =A010,000 to
> 100,000,000? =A0Could be both, couldn't it?
>
> Steve

shill+flond=3Dwho cares

To Mac or not to Mac?

Mac to mac

When is a Mac not a Mac?

change mac address get mac address spoofing mac address find computer by mac address
Mac Address Spoofing Report Victor J. Canny D. Abstract: Mac address can uniquely identifies each node of a network, ISPs and network administrators use mac address to manage their pc users. PC users may want to spoof mac address so that he need not to contact with ISP for a new network interface card (NIC); PC users may want to hide his mac address so that totally hide his information on the internet. Introduction Mac address, short for Media Access Control address, is a hardware address that uniquely identifies each node of a network. It means, in a local area network (LAN) or oth...

Help! iSync mac to mac

It's a Mac, Mac, Mac World
I wonder how the Windows users would like my (ab)normal Microsoft-free world: My business: all Mac, no PCs. My dentist, family physician and urologist are all Mac. No PCs. Went to Sir Speedy today for more bus. cards and some binding: all Mac (no surprise there). My daughter's three new college room mates have emailed her. Two have PowerBooks and one has an eMac. (She has a G5 iMac.) I never even see a PC unless I am at the public library or a store using a Windows POS unit. It never was intentional. I don't scout a place to see what frickin' computer they use. Jus...

bmp-mac, mac and xmms-mac ports
Hello, I can't find these in the ports collections, so i've downloaded and compiled mac and xmms-mac successfully and have confirmed that they work on FreeBSD. I was looking for an APE (Monkey Audio) plug-in for XMMS in the ports collection but wasn't able to find one. I had a bit of trouble with compiling xmms-mac to start off with. The compilation would fail with the following: g++ -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/X11R6/include/xmms -I/usr/local/include/gtk12 -I/usr/local/include/glib12 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -s -O3 -Wall -pedantic -DBUILD_CROSS_PLATFORM -g -O2 -o fileinfo fileinfo.o -Wl,-E -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -lgtk-12 -lgdk-12 -lgmodule-12 -lglib-12 /usr/local/lib/libintl.so /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm -lxmms /usr/lib/libmac.so -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/libgthread-12.so.3: undefined reference to `pthread_cond_timedwait' *** Error code 1 Stop in /usr/home/net147/xmms-mac-0.3.1/src. *** Error code 1 Stop in /usr/home/net147/xmms-mac-0.3.1. *** Error code 1 Stop in /usr/home/net147/xmms-mac-0.3.1. However i've managed to fix this by deleting the extracts files, re-extracting the files again, adding -lpthread to the configure.in file and then running autoconf to regenerate the configure script before compiling. # diff starts here --- configure.in.old Sun Dec 10 14:24:01 2006 +++ configure.in Sun Dec 10 14:24:...

MAC to MAC connectivity
Hi, As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting a number of FPGA based MACs to a dedicated broadcom switch chip. The difficulty with this is that to interface both chips, I need to have two closely coupled and redundant PHY . Is it possible to connect two MAC (SGMII) directly point-to-point, bypassing the PHY completely? Or is it necessary to have at least some PHY functionality, even if it is a point to point link? Kind regards, Stephen Steve wrote: > Hi, > > As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting > a number...

When is a Mac no longer a Mac?
OK, so Apple's going to go to Intel CPUs. Now Macs are no longer differentiated by a slow clock and superior instruction set--we've got the same hackjob clusterfuck on speed PCs have been using for decades now. And over the last few years Apple's gone away from SCSI, NuBus, ADB, Localtalk, etc. And PCs have picked up USB, dropped floppies, and colored their cases. The hardware's basically merging between the two platforms. On the software side, the classic MacOS is gone, replaced by Unixy stuff. And like it or not, higher up on the UI level lots of Windows-li...

networking mac to mac???
Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network a ibook running os.9??? possibly to a new imac running osx 5wak <rosscoism@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network a > ibook running os.9??? possibly to a new imac running osx Put an ethernet cable between them, enable tcp/ip and file sharing on one and log on from the other, seems to be what you are asking for? And you do not need a cross-over cable between modern Macs. -- /Jon For contact info, run the following in Terminal: echo 361993718603049801070734...

Mac to MAc Firewire
Hey all Looking for some help. I am trying to use a 6-6pin 1394 cable to connect two iBooks together and transfer some large files. iBook 1 dual USB 'white' iBook OS 9.2 iBook 2 G4 OSx 10.2 I boot iBook 1 into 'target drive' mode and get the firewire icon dancing about the screen then connect it to iBook 2 but the drive does not appear on the desktop. I have tried all combinations of rebooting/ connecting before and after rebooting but nothing seams to work. When the firewire is plugged in the target disk makes a short noise then nothing the host does not appear to react at ...

Mac-to-Mac VPN?
Years ago, I set up a Mac network (under OS9) with a VPN router and some software on a remote PowerBook that allowed VPN access. I'm not terribly familiar with OSX yet, but I understand that much of this functionality is now built in. Can anybody steer me in the right direction as far as hardware, software and configuration? Here's the setup I envision: - Small LAN running two Macs and a printer with a DSL connection through a router. - Remote PowerBook connected to the net varyingly with dial-up, DSL (wired), and AirPort. - Use the PowerBook to securely connect to at l...

MAC to MAC over Internet
Hi All, First I will tell you that I am not a MAC user or owner so please be patient :) I have a friend who runs a small business and they have two MAC computers in the office that are networked together and share files. The main MAC has approx 20,000 files that they share and update. One of the people will be moving away and they want to be able to connect over the Internet to the main MAC and share the files just like they do in the office today. They need to be able to have the master files on the main MAC in the office and allow the other person to easily access and update the master ...

Mac Miail on .mac
I have my own domain name. Is there a way to get msil under .mac to set this as the reply to address. It seems that I am forced to use the @mac address but I could well be missing something. Thanks Colin Countryman wrote: > I have my own domain name. Is there a way to get msil under .mac to set this > as the reply to address. It seems that I am forced to use the @mac address > but I could well be missing something. > > Thanks > Colin Open a new Mail message - press Command-Alt-R to display the Reply-To field. Chu -- chuenginsberg at mac dot com On Sun, 21 Jan 2...

mac to mac connection
Hi, PBG3 400 OS 10.3 I connect a crossover cable between my PB, and other macs running OS9, and can not mount see the other mac on my PB. Have followed the Help, but must be doing something wrong somewhere. I can however see/connect to my PB from the peripheral mac via the Chooser. I have not been able to connect to windoze machines either, but maybe that will rsolve if I can get mac to mac sharing happening. Can someone suggest what I may be overlooking or a relevant site... ? thanks indeed Chris Brown Neurosurgery University of Adelaide In article <400da705$1@yorrell.saard.net>, Chris Brown <cbrown@medicine.adelaide.edu.au> wrote: > Hi, > > > PBG3 400 OS 10.3 > > I connect a crossover cable between my PB, and other macs running OS9, > and can not mount see the other mac on my PB. Have followed the Help, > but must be doing something wrong somewhere. I can however see/connect > to my PB from the peripheral mac via the Chooser. > > I have not been able to connect to windoze machines either, but maybe > that will rsolve if I can get mac to mac sharing happening. > > Can someone suggest what I may be overlooking or a relevant site... ? > > > thanks indeed > > Chris Brown > Neurosurgery > University of Adelaide > Chris, things won't necessarily connect automagically. First, you have to turn on "File Sharing" on both machines. If you have an OS 9 box, when y...

Mac advocacy again: Springer changes to Mac
Here's a bit of Mac advocacy for the US Independence Day. http://tinyurl.com/68ajad =46rom the article: In a YouTube video, posted below the fold, CEO Mathias D=F6pfner lists four reasons for the change: Most of the company=92s layout work was already being done on Macs Macs are more user friendly than other computers Apple creates the most elegant computers Macs are cheaper to buy and easier to maintain than they were in the past -- Dave Fritzinger Honolulu, HI Dave Fritzinger wrote: > Here's a bit of Mac advocacy for the US Independence Day. > > http://tinyurl.com/68ajad > > From the article: > > In a YouTube video, posted below the fold, CEO Mathias D�pfner lists > four reasons for the change: > > Most of the company�s layout work was already being done on Macs > Macs are more user friendly than other computers > Apple creates the most elegant computers > Macs are cheaper to buy and easier to maintain than they were in the > past > -- > Dave Fritzinger > Honolulu, HI It also said they'll be running OS X, Windows Vista and Windows XP on these machines, so basically they have just added an additonal OS to support. "Apple creates the most elegant computers". Wow, I'm glad he's not the CEO of my company. Steve In article <baidnd-wU5XcKPPVnZ2dnUVZ_hKdnZ2d@giganews.com>, Steve de Mena <steve@stevedemena.com> wrote: > Dave Fritzinger wrote: > > Here's a bit...

right-click drag for Modal Model on Mac OS Xright-click drag for Modal Model on Mac OS X
An old problem seems to have resurfaced: I can't draw transitions between states in a Modal Model on a Mac. I'm running Ptolemy 5.0.1 on a Mac Powerbook running Mac OS X 10.4.6 using JVERSION=1.5.0_06 (according to ptinvoke). The arcs are supposed to be drawn with "control-drag" according to the comment in Modal Model, and "control-right-click" according to some bug reports. The Mac is a one-button machine, with "control-click" generally mapping to "right click", so "control" is overloaded. The manual (vol 1, doc version 5...

Re: right-click drag for Modal Model on Mac OS Xright-click drag for Modal Model on Mac OS X
Hi Martin, Ah, the right click problem. I don't have ready access to a Mac, so it is difficult for me to fix this. If someone wants to give me a Mac . . . :-) You could try building from the current CVS tree and see if that helps. See http://chess.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptexternal Kepler 1.0-beta should be out sometime soon, they have a number of Mac users and have built from a very recent version of the Ptolemy tree, so the problem might be fixed there. See http://www.kepler-project.org I'd like to see if the problem occurs in the CVS head or in Kepler before proceeding ...

Comments about Mac -- Rookie to Mac but Oldie to Computers
Hi all, When OSX was released a couple of years ago, I noticed all the Switch commercials on TV and on Apple's website. At that point I'd not touched a Mac since using the Mac Classics back in high school (early '90s), but being a Linux guy I thought it'd be interesting to check OSX out. The one major fault I saw in Pre OSX Mac's was a lack of a good command line, but that's no longer any issues with FreeBSD under Darwin. So last year when a friend of mine wanted to upgrade to a more powerful Mac, I took the opportunity to purchase his PowerMac G4 (dual 867/768 Mb/R...

Anyone got Mac classic Mac emulation running well on their Intel Mac?
Despite switching to DOSBox and VMware's Fusion with WinXP to handle my classic gaming needs, there are still a bunch of classic MacOS games I'm desperate to run on my Intel Mac. I've tried and failed to get Ballisk and SheepShaver running. Mini vMac runs but has a nasty, nasty habbit of corrupting disk images opened in both it and OSX. *sigh* Has anyone had any sucess? Why is classic Mac emulation so way behind other emulation efforts? With Amiga emulation running it's surprising classic Mac emulation is so far behind :-( TIA, Jamie Kahn Genet -- If you&...

Mac and non Mac Partition
Hello, I want to use my mac to copy some files to mp3 players or other portable stup. The problem for instance in a Fat16 partion the mac write some "._blahblah" files. And some player doesn't like these file and get frozen. I have to plug the player (or it's memory card) to a Pc, the remove these file in order to make it working. Is there a way to avoid this ? Thanks John In article <4a4cc7f2$0$12658$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>, John <NoSpam@NoSpam.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I want to use my mac to copy some files to mp3 players or other portable ...

Mac - to
I've got the Msdros remote desktop that works OK. What I'd like to do, though, is to have a remote desktop from my iBook to my G5 computer, both on the most recent OS/X, tiger. release. What program do I have to use to log in to my G5 from my iBook so that I can, through wi-fi, control iTunes, play DVDs, and run terminal on the G5 on the iBook? [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for details. ]] In article <1180031966.406197.148070@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, Peter Brooks <Peter.H.M.Br...

WakeOnLAN Mac to Mac over the net?
My mother's trusty 4+ year old iMac G5 is starting to have heat issues (Northbridge over 180� F with occasional kernel panics), so we've configured it to sleep when not in use. So I wanted to see if I could get Wake On LAN working over the net, but so far haven't had success. The computer is connected directly to a cable modem - no router, and has the OS X firewall turned on. The System Preferences > Energy Saver > Power Adapter > Options > Wake for Ethernet administrator access checkbox is checked. I have an Airport Extreme on my end, which doesn't do any ...

Mac Quadra to a Mac G4?
I have to transfer my Mac Quadra 840 files to my Mac G4. My Quadra OS was in the 7s (I can't even remember) and I am running OS X and Classic on my G4. Can I transfer Claris files to my Microsoft Word, and the old Photoshop, illustrator, painter, director files into the G4? I sure hope so. Thanks ...

Web resources about - Is a Mac Right For You? A growing number of entrepreneurs are deciding a Mac is the right computer for them. - comp.sys.mac.advocacy

Business News & Strategy For Entrepreneurs - Entrepreneur.com
Business ideas and trends from Entrepreneur Magazine. The latest news, expert advice, and growth strategies for small business owners.

Rob Stone (entrepreneur) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Upon graduation in 1990, Stone joined SBK Records and rose to director of promotion. He also served as vice president of promotion at EMI Records ...

I want to be a teenage entrepreneur but the government won't let me
Despite lip service from the Turnbull government and its 'innovation agenda', an untapped cohort in the tech economy is being stifled by regulation. ...

These Hawaiian entrepreneurs lived out of 6 San Francisco Airbnbs before moving to Seattle
When they landed in San Francisco from Hawaii this past fall, husband-and-wife startup team Brandon and Carey Bennett lived in six different ...

A high-flying London tech entrepreneur rocked up to No. 10 in shorts and Ed Vaizey loved it
A high-flying London tech entrepreneur turned up to Prime Minister David Cameron's house on Thursday evening wearing shorts and trainers after ...

Cuban entrepreneurs quietly build network of private schools
HAVANA (AP) — "This is a conversation between two children," Graciela Lage Delgado tells a rapt class of third-graders, tightly enunciating each ...

Why Aren’t We Talking About The Divorced Entrepreneur?
The following is a guest post by Bill Douglas about divorce and the entrepreneur. I got divorced when I was 24 years old while running my first ...

3 Small Business Tips Uniquely Aimed At Entrepreneurs
Traditional business advice isn't always best served to small business owners. Don't agree? Just ask any entrepreneurand you'll likely find that ...

Skier who made viral video with iPhone shows he’s an inventor, entrepreneur, video editor
... spinning and dancing in “Titanic.” For all the skills Vuignier obviously possesses on the ski slopes, he’s also quite the inventor, entrepreneur ...

Entrepreneurs, take heed: 5 steps to take today for a successful exit tomorrow
This article is part of DBA , a series on Mashable about running a business that features insights from leaders in entrepreneurship, venture ...