Linux users have to install by pushing floppy after floppy into drive says MICROS~1

EV1Servers.net
Leading Hosted Service Provider Deploys Windows-based Hosting
Solutions Faster than Linux-based Solutions

case study Posted: September 15, 2003

"Automated Deployment Services (ADS)�a powerful new server purposing
tool in Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition"

"Business managers at EV1 Servers.net knew that there was a demand for
a Microsoft Windows-based hosted service offering"

"Executives at the company were well aware that customers were making
inquiries about purchasing dedicated hosting services built on the
Microsoft� Windows� operating system"

"EV1 Servers.net personnel knew how to deploy a Linux-based server
quickly. They had script-filled floppies ready to go, and on a
moment's notice they could slip a floppy into a bare Dell PowerEdge
1600SC and walk away"

"By pushing floppy after floppy into the drive of a bare metal server,
EV1 Servers.net's data center team could easily meet the demand for
1,000 new servers per week"

"Unless they could find a way to bring that level of automation to the
deployment of a Windows-based server, they saw no way to meet a
similar level of demand for Windows-based hosting services"

"With the Microsoft Solution for Windows-based Hosting, EV1
Servers.net personnel would not even have to go from machine to
machine inserting floppies"

"ADS made it possible to deploy a server running Microsoft Windows
Server 2003 with Internet Information Services 6.0 and Ensim
WEBppliance Pro in a mere 18 minutes".

Furthermore, this process was completely automated. Deploying the same
server running Linux and Ensim WEBppliance 3.1 took nearly 45 minutes
and still required manual intervention for each server"

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/casestudies/CaseStudy.asp?CaseStudyID=%2014464

Dear boss of EV1,
If you let us cite you as proof of a business running lower TCO we
will give you Windows licenses for free. Please 'purchase' an SCO
license so we can trash Open Source some more.<end>

and pigs will fly .. and shit sells .. well the last bit is true at
least :)
0
doug_mentohl (470)

  How fast can an Xserve be deployed in a similar fashion?
I haven't done this with Macs, but x86 architecture has
PXE boot. The 'pushing floppies' thing could certainly be
eliminated.

  How expensive is a Dell Poweredge 1600SC? What Xserve
configuration would be appropriate for the same work load?

  The configured state the article talks about, how customized
is it to the customer? MS is pretty famous for 'one size fits
all'. This is one of the reasons for Linux's existence, how
could apple also capitalize on this deficiency?

  This seems great if your business is deploying servers, but
how long would you be bringing up 10,000 machines a week?
Eventually, you will have to start doing something with them.
This has never Microsoft's strong suit either, maybe 1,000
Linux servers perform the same as 10,000 windows boxes ... :)

0
croot (27)
3/3/2004 1:31:47 PM
  For all the 'mass' installations that Microsoft would have us
do, one has to wonder why they don't even register in the top
uptime systems at netcraft ...
http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/top.avg.html
  I don't even see anything other than BSD derived systems.
  And, sorted by ISP :
http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/isp.avg.html
  You gotta go to #12 before Win* even shows up, and that is
only 10% (ORIX).
  Apple should go after these types of customers. If they do,
they will beat Microsoft. FUD doesn't work in this arena,
uptime does.

Daeron wrote:
> EV1Servers.net
> Leading Hosted Service Provider Deploys Windows-based Hosting
> Solutions Faster than Linux-based Solutions
>
> case study Posted: September 15, 2003
>
> "Automated Deployment Services (ADS)�a powerful new server purposing
> tool in Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition"
>
> "Business managers at EV1 Servers.net knew that there was a demand for
> a Microsoft Windows-based hosted service offering"
>
> "Executives at the company were well aware that customers were making
> inquiries about purchasing dedicated hosting services built on the
> Microsoft� Windows� operating system"
>
> "EV1 Servers.net personnel knew how to deploy a Linux-based server
> quickly. They had script-filled floppies ready to go, and on a
> moment's notice they could slip a floppy into a bare Dell PowerEdge
> 1600SC and walk away"
>
> "By pushing floppy after floppy into the drive of a bare metal server,
> EV1 Servers.net's data center team could easily meet the demand for
> 1,000 new servers per week"
>
> "Unless they could find a way to bring that level of automation to the
> deployment of a Windows-based server, they saw no way to meet a
> similar level of demand for Windows-based hosting services"
>
> "With the Microsoft Solution for Windows-based Hosting, EV1
> Servers.net personnel would not even have to go from machine to
> machine inserting floppies"
>
> "ADS made it possible to deploy a server running Microsoft Windows
> Server 2003 with Internet Information Services 6.0 and Ensim
> WEBppliance Pro in a mere 18 minutes".
>
> Furthermore, this process was completely automated. Deploying the same
> server running Linux and Ensim WEBppliance 3.1 took nearly 45 minutes
> and still required manual intervention for each server"
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/casestudies/CaseStudy.asp?CaseStudyID=%2014464
>

> Dear boss of EV1,
> If you let us cite you as proof of a business running lower TCO we
> will give you Windows licenses for free. Please 'purchase' an SCO
> license so we can trash Open Source some more.<end>
>
> and pigs will fly .. and shit sells .. well the last bit is true at
> least :)
0
poohbah (15)
3/3/2004 5:06:22 PM
In article <104bnga49imt93b@corp.supernews.com>,
 Charles Rootski <croot@utcorp.com> wrote:

>   How fast can an Xserve be deployed in a similar fashion?
> I haven't done this with Macs, but x86 architecture has
> PXE boot. The 'pushing floppies' thing could certainly be
> eliminated.
>
>   How expensive is a Dell Poweredge 1600SC? What Xserve
> configuration would be appropriate for the same work load?
>
>   The configured state the article talks about, how customized
> is it to the customer? MS is pretty famous for 'one size fits
> all'. This is one of the reasons for Linux's existence, how
> could apple also capitalize on this deficiency?
>
>   This seems great if your business is deploying servers, but
> how long would you be bringing up 10,000 machines a week?
> Eventually, you will have to start doing something with them.
> This has never Microsoft's strong suit either, maybe 1,000
> Linux servers perform the same as 10,000 windows boxes ... :)

Folks who use xServes have been taking the configs onto an iPod and
moving it to new servers if I've heard correctly.

--
Jim Polaski
"The measure of a man is what he will do
In article <104bnga49imt93b@corp.supernews.com>,
 Charles Rootski <croot@utcorp.com> wrote:

>   How fast can an Xserve be deployed in a similar fashion?
> I haven't done this with Macs, but x86 architecture has
> PXE boot. The 'pushing floppies' thing could certainly be
> eliminated.

http://www.apple.com/server/pdfs/L31752A_NetwkInstall_TB_final.pdf

Apple mostly talks about the technology in the context of automatically
imaging new client machines, but there's no reason it won't work just as
well if you've got a lot of servers to configure.

>   How expensive is a Dell Poweredge 1600SC? What Xserve
> configuration would be appropriate for the same work load?

Well, the original article doesn't give many details about hardware
configuration. You could pick some configurations and compare them, but
the results would probably depend quite a bit on what you picked. For
the most part, Xserves are pretty competitive these days, especially if
you're comparing them against machines for which you need to buy pricey
Windows licenses.

>   The configured state the article talks about, how customized
> is it to the customer? MS is pretty famous for 'one size fits
> all'. This is one of the reasons for Linux's existence, how
> could apple also capitalize on this deficiency?
>
>   This seems great if your business is deploying servers, but
> how long would you be bringing up 10,000 machines a week?
> Eventually, you will have to start doing something with them.
> This has never Microsoft's strong suit either, maybe 1,000
> Linux servers perform the same as 10,000 windows boxes ... :)

--
"In my judgment, when the United States says there will be serious consequences,
and if there isn't serious consequences, it creates adverse consequences."
Jim Polaski wrote:

> In article <104bnga49imt93b@corp.supernews.com>,
>  Charles Rootski <croot@utcorp.com> wrote:
>
> >   How fast can an Xserve be deployed in a similar fashion?
> > I haven't done this with Macs, but x86 architecture has
> > PXE boot. The 'pushing floppies' thing could certainly be
> > eliminated.
> >
> >   How expensive is a Dell Poweredge 1600SC? What Xserve
> > configuration would be appropriate for the same work load?
> >
> >   The configured state the article talks about, how customized
> > is it to the customer? MS is pretty famous for 'one size fits
> > all'. This is one of the reasons for Linux's existence, how
> > could apple also capitalize on this deficiency?
> >
> >   This seems great if your business is deploying servers, but
> > how long would you be bringing up 10,000 machines a week?
> > Eventually, you will have to start doing something with them.
> > This has never Microsoft's strong suit either, maybe 1,000
> > Linux servers perform the same as 10,000 windows boxes ... :)
> >

> Folks who use xServes have been taking the configs onto an iPod and
> moving it to new servers if I've heard correctly.

That's one way to do it.  Another is to use Apple's Server Admin tool to
configure your XServes to boot from a network-mounted disk image (which
can be an installer disk, or an upgrader, or whatever else fits your situation.)

-jcr
0
jcr (196)

Linux users have to install by pushing floppy after floppy into drive says MICROS~1 #2
EV1Servers.net Leading Hosted Service Provider Deploys Windows-based Hosting Solutions Faster than Linux-based Solutions case study Posted: September 15, 2003 "Automated Deployment Services (ADS)�a powerful new server purposing tool in Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition" "Business managers at EV1 Servers.net knew that there was a demand for a Microsoft Windows-based hosted service offering" "Executives at the company were well aware that customers were making inquiries about purchasing dedicated hosting services built on the Microsoft� Windows� operat...

MAC SE Floppy Drive 1.4 meg Floppy Drive (old)
I acquired a MAC SE with a 1.4 meg floppy drive. Previously I only had a Plus with an 800K floppy drive. When I tried to format one of my old disks, it still only had 800K. Did the 1.4 meg floppy drives use special disks? Or am I doing something wrong? Thank you, Bill Bill Bagot <wbagot1@san.rr.com> wrote: > I acquired a MAC SE with a 1.4 meg floppy drive. Previously I only > had a Plus with an 800K floppy drive. When I tried to format one of > my old disks, it still only had 800K. Did the 1.4 meg floppy drives > use special disks? Or am I doing something wrong? ...

Floppy disks and floppy drives.
Sorting through some old boxes of stuff that has been screaming out to be sorted. I find a couple dozen floppy drives and literally hundreds of floppy disks (which I'm currently processing). Was curious to know if they still had a place in this day 'n' age of micro storage cards and dvd+rws. Would love to know if I could do anything with them apart from stripping the drives for their motors. TR Trail Rat wrote: > >Sorting through some old boxes of stuff that has been screaming out to >be sorted. I find a couple dozen floppy drives and literally hund...

How to install linux from floppy, without a bootable cdrom drive?
Hi all, I recently acquired a Dell PowerEdge 2300. The bios in this particular machine will only allow me to boot from floppy or hard drive. The CDrom drive is not bootable. It's very frustrating. I tried the Dell forums first, but it seems there is no way to boot from this CDrom. I would like to install linux on it, but can't find any direction on how to do so from a FLOPPY disk. With the size of the linux kernel today, is it still possible to boot from floppy to install linux? I would prefer to install RedHat or Fedora, but any linux flavor would be fine for this mac...

Question:Can I boot from a floppy disk and install Linux from an external USB2.0 Drive
Hi, If I had made a linux file system on external USB2.0 drive then download the latest version of the Linux installation image files on it for friend's brand new machine Linux installtion, is there a specific boot floppy disk with USB driver built in for external USB drive installation. I knew the network boot disk can allow to do that installation on the local area network using the mounting way. But if this brand new machine is just a stand alone machine. If there is a way to do the installation using USB drive, then I can avoid the tedious buring CD image process and...

Help needed connecting PC floppy drive to Micro P QLFDC v5.1 (QL)
Can anyone give me any help on connecting a standard floppy drive to the Micro Peripherals QLFDC v5.1 - I assume that any standard floppy drive should work with these type of QL interfaces. If not please let me know. I have an external enclosure, supplying power. I have a cable which I made up - it is a straight through ribbon cable. When I try to access the drive, it clicks as though it's moving the little metal sheild on the disk across, but the drive does not appear to spin, neither does the green light come on. After a pause, the QL says 'drive not ready'. I have tried with t...

Installing floppy drive
I am tying to install a used 3.5" flpooy drive {NEC] onto a new computer -- a Dell Dimension 2400 w/ WinXP Home]. I took an old 3.5" floppy drive from a used computer [an older Dell Dimension XPS]. After installation, the drive light [on the floppy drive] is on continuously. The light should go off after booting. The computer boots up fine; just can't access the floppy drive -- Drive Not Found. [The floppy is configured as Drive A: in the BIOS.] When I put the floppy back into the old computer, the same thing happened -- the drive light [on the floppy] is on con...

Trouble Installing Linux/Cisco VPN Client Has anyone had trouble compiling the linux cisco vpn client? Here is the output of the install script: # uname -rviosm Linux 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl #1
Has anyone had trouble compiling the linux cisco vpn client? Here is the output of the install script: # uname -rviosm Linux 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl #1 Wed Apr 21 20:19:18 EDT 2004 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux ../vpn_install Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 4.0.3 (B) Linux Installer Copyright (C) 1998-2001 Cisco Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved. By installing this product you agree that you have read the license.txt file (The VPN Client license) and will comply with its terms. Directory where binaries will be installed [/usr/local/bin] Automatically start the VPN service at boot time [yes] ...

[News] Mac Sucks, Says Mac User (Uses GNU/Linux Too)

Installing Linux on a powerpc Mac: powermac powerbook G4 mandrake 9.1 vs. gentoo PPC 1.4 vs. yellow dog 3.0.1 (yellowdog)
Forget Mandrake 9.1 for powerpc: The installer is seriously buggy. It wouldn't read the A key on my G4 powerbook nor did it have support for my video card. It couldn't even read the disk on my powermac G4. There are numerous bugs in the software and problems with partitioning. Since it is what I had first, I tried to install it a score of times before my list of workarounds ended up in a dead end with no video card support on the powerbook. Gentoo is a thing of beauty. Unfortunately, it doesn't understand the most recent firmware on my G4 powermac and yaboot couldn't mount ...

Re: Installing Linux on a powerpc Mac: powermac powerbook G4 mandrake 9.1 vs. gentoo PPC 1.4 vs. yellow dog 3.0.1 (yellowdog)
In article <pan.2003.09.26.23.02.30.376116@nospam.ns(nospam)>, Alonzo Gariepy <NOSPAM@nospam.ns(nospam)> wrote: > Forget Mandrake 9.1 for powerpc: > > Yellow Dog Linux took Red Hat 9 from the hands of its exhausted > developers and made it even nicer. It installed perfectly, first time, > on both computers. Hi Alonzo having spent the day failing to get Mandrake 9.1 onto my G4, I am ready to accept your first proposition!! So let me ask you a couple of questions about your second, as YDL2.2 and 2.3 were non-starters on an older PPC of mine. What version of...

How to install Debian into Notebook that use external floppy drive and external CDROM drive
Hi all, I have downloaded Debian Installation CDROMs and plan to install it into my notebook computer. My notebook use one USB external floppy disk drive and one PCMCIA CDROM drive, but unfortunately, my notebook's BIOS only support external floppy drive booting, it can't boot from PCMCIA CDROM drive. Therefore, I only can use the boot disks made from rescue.bin, root.bin....etc. My problem is while I successfully booted from the rescue floppy disk, it prompted me to insert a root floppy, but after I inserted it, the installation program didn't recognize my USB floppy disk drive because it didn't load the disk then just return the fail message said that can't mount the root FS. So, how can I do to let the installation program recognize my USB floppy disk drive? And one more question does the Debian Setup Program support PCMCIA CD-ROM drive to complete installation regularly? Regards, Alvin Lau ...

floppy drive installation problems
Hi, I'm trying to install a floppy drive on a dell gx270 computer, but I can't seem to get it to work. In the bios I set diskette drive a to 3,5 inch, 1.44 MB. I wanted to change the boot sequence to start with the floppy drive, but it doesn't even show up in the list. The computer doesn't see it at all. All the cables are applied in the right way, I also tried different cables, computers... I always thougth that when you plug in a floppy drive/ cd rom etc, it would automatically show up. So did I miss a step? Any idea what's wrong? Thanks, Nienke Nienke <n...

installing without floppy drive?
Does anybody know how to install os/2 without a floppy drive? The laptop I'm using does not have one, just a cdrom (which is bootable). What's the best way to go about the install? Burn each floppy image onto cd? (strikes me as a bit wasteful, and does the installer complain when it asks for the warp cd and it is in the same drive as what it thinks is the floppy drive?) Has somebody put together a cd image that is bootable by chance? I'm not in a possition to take the drive out and put it in another laptop to get the install rolling, what other options are there?...

How to use the floppy drive under linux?
I just installed the red hat 9, how to use the floppy drve? How to read floppy disk files in MSDOS format? Thanks! kff <kff281@safe-mail.net> writes: ]I just installed the red hat 9, how to use the floppy drve? ]How to read floppy disk files in MSDOS format? mtools mcopy, mdir,... mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:02:30 +0800, kff wrote: > I just installed the red hat 9, how to use the floppy drve? > > How to read floppy disk files in MSDOS format? If you loaded the mtools package mdir, mcopy, mcd, mdel..... another method mkdir /mnt/floppy mount -t auto /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy ls /mnt/floppy umount /mnt/floppy For extra points man mount man umount man fstab Fstab entry example: /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0 ...

FS: Apple II Super Drive (1.44 MB Floppy Drive) Controller NOT eBay
FS: Apple II Super Drive Controller, $200 or best offer. complete (box, docs, driver diskette, etc.) Also available - 1.44 Super Drives (converted from 800k drive) best offer. Guarantee against DOA, but otherwise sold AS-IS. Inquiry to dchiu23 'at' h0tmai1.c0m (address altered avoid address harvesters) In article <h0kh9q0og8@news1.newsguy.com>, David Chiu says... > >FS: Apple II Super Drive Controller, $200 or best offer. complete (box, >docs, driver diskette, etc.) > >Also available - 1.44 Super Drives (converted from 800k drive) best offer. > >Guarantee against DOA, but otherwise sold AS-IS. > >Inquiry to dchiu23 'at' h0tmai1.c0m >(address altered avoid address harvesters) SOLD. Thank you for reading. ...

Mac SE floppy drive
Hello, I've just saved a Macintosh SE (4 Mb memory and a hard drive) from the trash (found in my street). I got only the central unit, but my girlfriend has a fried Mac Classic, so she gave me a keyboard and mice. The thingy boots just okay, system 7 on hard drive, all needed apps installed. I was extremely happy, until I tried to put a 1.44 floppy into its superdrive (information found on the net tells me this one has a "superdrive" with 1.44 capability, so nice for file transfer to PC)... It doesn't load ! I'd like to know : - normally, should the dri...

Installing a second floppy drive
Hi there everyone. On my computer case there are 4 CDROM shaped slots and two floppy shaped slots, so if theres a slot, may as well fill it! How would I go about installing a second floppy drive? I noticed the flat cable thing doesn't have a second plug like the CDROM cables (incase not already noticed, I'm no hardware expert, more of a software guy). So yeah, I don't believe there is another slot on the motherboard for another cable either. So... Are there dual plug flat cables for the floppy out there anywhere or am i going to have to stick with my single floppy? BTW, incase you ...

Apple II GS 3 1/2 and 5 1/4 floppy drive: can they be combined?
Hi, I have some questions if and how to combine 3 1/5 and 5 1/4 inch on the II GS. I cannot find the answers in the FAQs (which i think are filled with lots os good info!) Last week I acquired an Apple II GS with a 3 1/5 and 5 1/4 inch original floppy drives. ROM 01, 512 KB RAM card, RGB monitor. Alas no software nor documents came with this machine. I do have Apple II, IIe and IIc machines with DOS 3.3 and Prodos 1.x and Apple Pascal 1.3 and Appleworks 2 on 5 1/4 floppies and those work fine on the II GS on the 5 1/4. Ofcourse I need to get some more II GS specific manuals and operatin...

Replacement floppy drive for PS/2 Model 56, and moving an existing AIX PS/2 install to a new drive
I have a PS/2 9556 with a floppy drive that is getting intermittent read errors on known good disks (I checked the disks on another drive). Does anybody know where I can find a replacement drive, or know if I can fix the drive (an MF356C-799MA)? The same PS/2 has AIX PS/2 1.3 installed on a 1GB drive. I want to replace that drive with a 500MB drive and a 4.2GB drive. I want to move the existing AIX system from the 1GB drive over to the 4.2GB drive. I have no compatible tape drive and no compatible network card (there is an OC2335 installed, and I am trying to port the Linux driver t...

install linux without floppy and cdrom
I have an very old Fujitsu S-series notebook. It does not have internal floppy and cdrom, just has expanson slots (Fujitsu proprietary) for floppy and cdrom but I lose both floppy and cdrom drives. Now the question is how can I install linux without floppy and cdrom? I know I can install via network, but how can I boot it firstly? <bolero92@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet news:1104843619.552400.8940@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... >I have an very old Fujitsu S-series notebook. > It does not have internal floppy and cdrom, > just has expanson slots (Fujitsu proprietary) for floppy and cdrom > but I lose both floppy and cdrom drives. > > Now the question is how can I install linux without floppy and cdrom? > I know I can install via network, but how can I boot it firstly? > One thing you can do is to move the HD to another laptop ( or regular PC with a special cable ) and install the files needed for installation from network. Some hints here: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/40/2004/04/4/172968 On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 05:00:19 -0800, bolero92 wrote: > I have an very old Fujitsu S-series notebook. > It does not have internal floppy and cdrom, > just has expanson slots (Fujitsu proprietary) for floppy and cdrom > but I lose both floppy and cdrom drives. > > Now the question is how can I install linux without floppy and cdrom? > I know I can install via network, but how ...

bring it on says Micros~1 to Linux
Microsoft to Linux: 'Bring it on' Graeme Wearden April 21 2004 [...] Bradley Tipp, Microsoft's national system engineer, told the LinuxUser & Developer Expo in London that competition is good for the whole software industry and will lead to better products emerging from Redmond, Wash.-based Microsoft. "The thing I like is that Microsoft does its best work and is most innovative when it has competition, so bring it on," Tipp said. [...] "There's probably not real competition on the desktop today," said Asay. "In a year or two years, we'll se...

Web resources about - Linux users have to install by pushing floppy after floppy into drive says MICROS~1 - comp.sys.mac.advocacy

Ah ain't long for this whorl - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I played with a fingerprint scanner that has been floating around the office. In the MICROS~1 world, they're black boxes that one can authenticate ...

Long filename - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Long filenames ( LFN ), are Microsoft 's way of implementing filenames longer than the 8.3 filename , or short-filename, naming scheme used in ...

Index - fat32-lib - The starting page for the fat32-lib wiki. - A Java library for manipulating FAT ...
This library allows to manipulate FAT file systems using the Java programming language. Because of it's age and simplicity, FAT can be called ...

Microsoft One-liner Digest [rec.humor.funny]
Since folks seem inclined to rag on Microsoft, I compiled a quick digest. These are jokes which are funny, but which didn't really warrant posting ...

Tilde Definition
A tilde (pronounced TILL-duh) is a short, curvy horizontal line character that is located on the upper left on most keyboards, usually on the ...

Ah ain't long for this whorl
I played with a fingerprint scanner that has been floating around the office. In the MICROS~1 world, they're black boxes that one can authenticate ...

8.3 filename - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(also called a short filename or SFN ) is a filename convention used by old versions of DOS , versions of Microsoft Windows prior to Windows ...