M$ can't create an OS that doesn't get sick from viruses

Read and weep Win###

http://www.slashgear.com/microsoft-testing-fix-for-windows-phone-sms-bug-desktop-software-not-immune-29204989/
0
gimme_this_gimme_tha

OS X
after a bit of reading, it looks like I did a veeeeery shtupid thing... (I'm copying my post to this newsgroup, as the alt.sys.mac.newuser-help group didn't look quite as highly-trafficked...) anyways, here's what I did... ----------------------------------- in an effort to help the owner of a nice shiny new eMac 'clean up' their personal folder, I moved a few items... including the Library folder! it appears.... correct me if I'm wrong... that Mac OS X then created a NEW library... so we restarted it, and all the Quicken data, dialup info, (etc.) was gone... so we ...

can't get the $_GET['id'] after the header is sent but page doesn't redirect
In the first if, the page is displayed without any company cars selected. If there is a company selected, then the id value is posted and captured by the redirect (1st elseif). Then one of two things can happen. The final else the selected company/id cars get displayed in the browser, or in the case of a post to a form for excel, the a header gets sent to the to the current_sightingsXL.php page. The current_sightingsXL.php and current_sightings.php pages test out. The second elseif works with one minor problem. I have to type in the url with the id to get it to download to excel. i...

I don't get why '>' doesn't get printed in the following example
When I do a here-document, the '>' character shows up to indicate the start of a newline. [cdalten@localhost ~]$ cat << EOF > My current directory is dir $PWD > EOF My current directory is dir /home/cdalten [cdalten@localhost ~]$ What prevents the '>' characters from showing up in the final output? On Jul 3, 10:35 am, Chad <cdal...@gmail.com> wrote: > When I do a here-document, the '>' character shows up to indicate the > start of a newline. > > [cdalten@localhost ~]$ cat << EOF> My current directory is dir $PWD > &...

if lisp can add any feature, then why doesn't it get used? I don't get it..
I really don't and for some odd reason I have this fascination with forth lisp smalltalk io haskell aggghhh!! On 2008-09-06 11:46:32 +0100, gavino <gavcomedy@gmail.com> said: > I really don't > > and for some odd reason I have this fascination with forth lisp > smalltalk io haskell > > aggghhh!! Isn't the answer *precisely* in your asking the question? Lisp is not used by "people who don't get it". Not because those that do are any smarter or born geniuses, but surely *because* they decided to put in *the effort* to learn and see "...

'reload M' doesn't update 'from M inport *'
I develop in an IDLE window. Module M says 'from service import *'. Next I correct a mistake in function 'service.f'. Now 'service.f' works fine. I do 'reload (service); reload (M)'. The function 'M.f' still misbehaves. 'print inspect.getsource (service.f)' and 'print inspect.getsource (M.f)' shows the same corrected code. 'print service.f' and 'print M.f' show different ids. So I do 'del M; reload (M)'. Nothing changes. I delete M again and run gc.collect () to really clean house. I relo...

What is a difference in 'T t = u' and in 'T t( u )'
Hi, Does anyone can explain me why declarations marked as 1 compile whereas declarations marked as 2 do not compile? The most obvious example is the third one with shared_ptr. It is because of explicite constructor. Am I right? But what about first and second examples? Please notice also that examples second and third are completely different. Constructor calling syntax is right in third but not in second. However assign syntax is right in second example but not in third. #include <boost/assign/list_of.hpp> #include <boost/shared_ptr.hpp> #include <iostream> #include <...

'Macs don't get viruses' myth dissolves before public's eyes
http://www.betanews.com/article/Macs-dont-get-viruses-myth-dissolves-before-publics-eyes/1251493625 'Macs don't get viruses' myth dissolves before public's eyes By Tim Conneally | Published August 28, 2009, 5:07 PM Apple never said OS X was invulnerable to viruses. Well, not in so many words. It's just one of those things that the media hungry --but security disinterested-- public has turned into an axiom. But now that OS X is garnering an increased share of the operating system market, it is increasing its value as a platform for malware, and consequently increa...

YouTube
Anybody have trouble with sending vids to YouTube? They tell me they will send a confirm email but this never arrices. Have checked spam folders, but nothing... -Matt ...

Can't get sqlite3.Row working: keyword lookup doesn't work
Hello, using Python 2.7.6 I try to access a sqlite database using keyword lookup instead of position (much more easy to maintain code), but it always fail, with the error: Index must be int or string I have created the database, populated it, and here is the code that tries to retrieve the information: with sqlite3.connect(mydbPath) as db: # open the database db.row_factory = sqlite3.Row cursor = db.cursor() cursor.execute("SELECT * FROM files") for row in cursor.fetchall(): print(row.keys()) print(row["filename&qu...

Can't use my //e because I can't get any software for it
Here's my problem. I have an Apple //e, but I have absolutely no software for it. I have an older Mac. All of the images I have found are 5.25" and I can't write those back to the floppy using the Mac (or a PC for that matter). I don't have a null modem, but that doesn't matter because I don't have any comm software. Basically I have no way to get anything onto a bootable floppy. Now, if I could find a bootable image of a 3.5" disk I would be in business, but everything is in 5.25" format. Would an emaulator be able to create a bootable 3.5" disk for me? Would someone be able to email me an image of a 3.5" bootable Prodos system disk? Luis "Luis de Santos" <desantos@cfl.rr.nospam.com> wrote in message news:ivbeiv4l3u5qtn59dkj4q243af9eu8s9b6@4ax.com... > > Here's my problem. I have an Apple //e, but I have absolutely no > software for it. I have an older Mac. All of the images I have found > are 5.25" and I can't write those back to the floppy using the Mac (or > a PC for that matter). I don't have a null modem, but that doesn't > matter because I don't have any comm software. Basically I have no > way to get anything onto a bootable floppy. > > Now, if I could find a bootable image of a 3.5" disk I would be in > business, but everything is in 5.25" format. Would an emaulator be > able to create a bootable 3.5" disk for me? ...

I don't get why sys.exit(1) doesn't exit the while loop in the follow case
Given the following.. #!/usr/bin/python import urllib2 import sys import time while 1: try: con = urllib2.urlopen("http://www.google.com") data = con.read() print "connected" #The loop doesn't exit if I use sys.exit(1) break except: time.sleep(2) If I would replace 'break' with 'sys.exit(1)', the while loop will keep printing connected every 2 seconds? Why I this? I thought exit meant exit. your bare except is catching the SystemExit raised by sys.exit(1) chad <cdalt...

Help!!! Help!!! Doesn't Boot.... Doesn't get installed
I have just purchased a used custom touch screen PC (more like a laptop, processor and screen are in one unit). It had no OS, but had a new IBM travel star hard disk (laptop hard drive). I took that disk out and loaded operating system into it and re-sintalled. When I start the PC, it doesn't boot and says NO OS found. But it recognizes the hard drive (as a Secondary master). BOIS setting sequence was C and A. On the motherboard, there was one slot for primary hard drive, unused and another slot for laptop hard drive, which I just installed. Even when I connect external CD dri...

Doesn't it drive you crazy when Mac OS X users don't exit/quit their programs correctly?
They don't use "Quit", but the window's red X button so they have tons of softwares still running in the background. They wonder why their Mac OS X is so slow due to low resources. And yes, I told the users zillions of times about it. They keep thinking Windows. :/ -- "Don't even step on an ant." --Greek /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. ( ) ...

Error: Field 'F1' doesn't exist in destination table. I've created import Specs but still get same error...
I'm automating the import of all text files into Access from a source folder. I was getting the "Field 'F1' doesn't exist in destination table" error, so I checked it out on the net and it said to create a import specification. So I did this (InductionImport), and included it in my code as below: DoCmd.TransferText acImportDelim, InductionImport, "ImportedInductionLots", CurrentPath & strfile, 0 I created the import specs as per Microsoft's explanation: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;142186 I'm at a loss as to how to f...

Mac OS X: Can't Add 'Home' Folder To Dock
I am unable to add the 'Home' Folder to the Dock in Mac OS X. If I try to drag it to the Dock, either nothing happens (the Home Folder does not enter the dock) or the Home Folder vanishes in a puff of smoke, as if I had removed it from the dock. I have no problem adding an alias of the Home Folder to the dock, but the alias looks like an ordinary folder and is hard to distinguish when small. Thanks for any help. In article <1168165389.481000.195170@11g2000cwr.googlegroups.com>, google1006@spamex.com wrote: > I am unable to add the 'Home' Folder to the Dock in Mac O...

Can't see all of the queries when merging to MS Word and can't get to reports
I'm working with a database developed by an untrained person over several years - and on a network that has recently been upgraded with a new server installed and MS office upgraded from 2K (I think - it might have been XP) to 2003. The database is impressive, both in what it does and the obtuse and inconsistent ways it works. There are several hundred queries, for example, with no indication of where they are used or if they are in fact necessary at all... The database is for the local Hospice service, and their entire operation is based on it - from patient records to donations. The ...

config.sys corrupted; can't fix; can't start windows 2000
The computer attempts to open windows 2000 pro and gets hung up with the message that winn config.sus is corrupted. I tried booting from the win 2000 cd-rom and then creating floppy boot disks. The computer won't recognize or run off of these. Rename the Config.sys file in the root directly to ConfigOLD.sys. See if the machine will boot without it for now. Any release of NT should be able to. If you work out for sure that the Config.sys file is faulty, you can go in with your text editor, and troubleshoot it. You will need the base knowledge to work in this file. Jerry G. ======== ...

Can you see why I'm getting a NoClassDefFoundError here? I can't see it :<
I'm going through the HeadFirt EJB book, and I stuck on one example. :< The code is here (simple example used to illustrate simple ejb creation/usage, but my example has that commented out). import javax.naming.*; import java.rmi.*; import javax.rmi.*; import headfirst.*; import javax.ejb.*; public class AdviceClient{ public static void main( String[] args ){ System.err.println( "BEG" ); //new AdviceClient().go(); System.err.println( "END" ); } public void go(){ try{ Context ic = new InitialContext(); Object o = ic.lookup( "Advisor" ); ...

Getting Error can't find '__main__' module in 'X'
Hey I am newbie in python.I have installed python 2.7.5 correctly.It is working fine but I am having some issues.I have set windows Enviroment variables. The problem is when I try to save my program in a folder(C:\Users\John\X)it shows that module error but when I save it outside this X folder ( C:\Users\John ) It runs successfully.How to fix it? On 06/02/2013 07:04 AM, meakaakka wrote: > Hey I am newbie in python.I have installed python 2.7.5 correctly.It is working fine but I am having some issues.I have set windows Enviroment variables. Please be a lot more specific. Do you have ...

mysqld Can't start server: can't create PID file: Permission denied
I am kind of stuck and not sure why I can't start the mysqld sever. Here is my logs and folder permissions. [root@dev me]# /usr/bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /home/me/mysql/data STOPPING server from pid file /home/me/mysql/data/dev.pid 071117 20:53:26 mysqld ended /home/me/mysql/data/dev.err: 071117 20:53:26 mysqld started 071117 20:53:26 [ERROR] /usr/libexec/mysqld: Can't create/write to file '/home/me/mysql/data/dev.pid' (Errcode: 13) 071117 20:53:26 [ERROR] Can't start server: can't create PID file: Permission denied 071...

Branch can't get to internet, can't ping anything but ethernet at main site.
Ok, What am i missing? I've got a new MPLS connection up and running. I can ping the branch site from my main site just fine. I can not ping ANYTHING past the main site ethernet port via the branch router. Can someone please help me out!!! Heres so configs Main: interface FastEthernet0/0 description $ETH-SW-LAUNCH$$INTF-INFO-FE 0/0$$ETH-LAN$ ip address 192.168.1.251 255.255.255.0 duplex auto speed auto ! interface Serial0/0/0 ip address 63.239.127.226 255.255.255.252 ip access-group 189 in service-module t1 timeslots 1-12 ! router rip version 2 passive-interface FastEthernet0/0...

I can see keys I can't fetch, and now I'm getting DB_RUNRECOVERY.
G'day, everyone. I'm one of the developers of iPodder, and we're using Python 2.3's inclusion of Berkely DB to implement our state database. C:\dev\db-4.2.52.NC>python >>> import bsddb >>> bsddb.__version__ '4.2.0.2' We've taken great pains to avoid having iPodder run twice, so the database shouldn't be open to more than one process at a time, but we *do* run a lot of threads all of which pound the database at once. That might not have been such a good idea, as we're spotting a few of weird things. Perhaps amusingly, it's only now that I've looked up the documentation for the 'bsddb' module rather than 'shelve' that I've noticed the big fat warning that: Warning: This legacy interface is not thread safe in python 2.3.x or earlier. Data corruption, core dumps or deadlocks may occur if you attempt multi- threaded access. You must use the modern pybsddb interface linked to above if you need multi-threaded or multi-process database access. Oops. I'm a little weirded out, as pybsddb is supposed to be included as bsddb; perhaps the mistake is using shelve() rather than bsddb.dbshelve(). So, amongst the results are database keys we can't fetch: >>> db = bsddb.hashopen(r"ipodder.db", 'w') >>> tot = 0 >>> for k in db.keys(): tot = tot + len(db[k]) .... Traceback (most recent call last): File "<stdin...

why can't I create 'timer'
when I create a timer object as follows t = timer and I get a error message. Undefined function or variable 'timer' why can't I create 'timer'? I use matlab version 6.1 "likeforever" <likeforever@126.com> wrote in message news:13419325.1115980328942.JavaMail.jakarta@nitrogen.mathforum.org... > when I create a timer object as follows > t = timer > and I get a error message. > Undefined function or variable 'timer' > why can't I create 'timer'? > I use matlab version 6.1 Because timer objects had not yet been introduc...

I don't work for IBM and I don't make promises I can't deliver on
I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they have on the Internet now. I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. Robert. On 8/12/2011 11:24 PM, Robert Myers wrote: > I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they > have on the Internet now. > > I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. > > Robert. I don't work for IBM (anymore) either. If you are talking about the death of Blue Waters, I don't believe they said they couldn't deliver. They said they chose not to because they would lose a bunch of money on the project since it turned out to cost a lot more than the initial guess. And I guess Ben chose not to print some more to pay for it. On Aug 24, 11:17=A0pm, Del Cecchi <delcec...@gmail.com> wrote: > On 8/12/2011 11:24 PM, Robert Myers wrote: > > > I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they > > have on the Internet now. > > > I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. > > > Robert. > > I don't work for IBM (anymore) either. =A0If you are talking about the > death of Blue Waters, I don't believe they said they couldn't deliver. > They said they chose not to because they would lose a bunch of money on > the project since it turned out to cost a lot more than the initial guess= .. > > And I guess Ben chose not to print some mor...

Web resources about - M$ can't create an OS that doesn't get sick from viruses - comp.sys.mac.advocacy