Mac g4

Hello everyone:
I have a Mac G4 AGP running 10.4 Tiger. I re-started  the machine
because it was frozen,but it does not boot-up.The only thing that I get
on the screen is a little square with a ? sign; I misplaced the OS
Disks,I try  pressing  the key apple + "s" or "v" and nothing happened.
I will get a new OS in the future
but I need the machine now. Please advise,any suggestion will be
appreciated.
Thanks
Marcelo

marcelo_990@msn.com wrote:

> Hello everyone:
> I have a Mac G4 AGP running 10.4 Tiger. I re-started  the machine
> because it was frozen,but it does not boot-up.The only thing that I get
> on the screen is a little square with a ? sign; I misplaced the OS
> Disks,I try  pressing  the key apple + "s" or "v" and nothing happened.
> I will get a new OS in the future
> but I need the machine now. Please advise,any suggestion will be
> appreciated.
> Thanks
> Marcelo

sounds like you don't have a valid / bootable OS installed on that
drive, so you are kinda hosed unless you have a Disk 1 CD or DVD. you
can try booting by holding down the "option" key which will allow you to
select the startup OS on the disk, but chances are slim to none it will
work with what you have. if it works, merry christmas!
0
cola4345 (125)
12/26/2005 5:29:04 AM
On 26/12/05 10:51 AM, in article
1135565517.828342.318190@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, "marcelo_990@msn.com"
<marcelo_990@msn.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone:
> I have a Mac G4 AGP running 10.4 Tiger. I re-started  the machine
> because it was frozen,but it does not boot-up.The only thing that I get
> on the screen is a little square with a ? sign; I misplaced the OS
> Disks,I try  pressing  the key apple + "s" or "v" and nothing happened.
> I will get a new OS in the future
> but I need the machine now. Please advise,any suggestion will be
> appreciated.
> Thanks
> Marcelo

AS Oxford says without a OS CD your in a bit of a bind, if you can get
access to another firewire equipped Mac you could try this....

How to use FireWire target disk mode...

http://tinyurl.com/39g2u

Then use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the good HD to your machine.

0
wally1870 (4724)
12/26/2005 10:31:47 AM
marcelo_990@msn.com wrote:
> Hello everyone:
> I have a Mac G4 AGP running 10.4 Tiger. I re-started  the machine
> because it was frozen,but it does not boot-up.The only thing that I get
> on the screen is a little square with a ? sign; I misplaced the OS
> Disks,I try  pressing  the key apple + "s" or "v" and nothing happened.
> I will get a new OS in the future
> but I need the machine now. Please advise,any suggestion will be
> appreciated.
> Thanks
> Marcelo
If it comes down to it, you could run Linux until you can buy a
replacement system disk. Or, as much as I hate to endorse it, you could
just download a copy of whatever OS you need.

--
"There is nothing I understand." - Shit
0
marcelo_990@msn.com wrote:
> Hello everyone:
> I have a Mac G4 AGP running 10.4 Tiger. I re-started  the machine
> because it was frozen,but it does not boot-up.The only thing that I get
> on the screen is a little square with a ? sign; I misplaced the OS
> Disks,I try  pressing  the key apple + "s" or "v" and nothing happened.
> I will get a new OS in the future
> but I need the machine now. Please advise,any suggestion will be
> appreciated.
> Thanks
> Marcelo
Here's something. I also have a G4 AGP and recently had a problem where
it wouldn't shut down. I did everything: reset all, rebuilt, zapped and
tested the battery. Even switched out the hard drive for a known good
one. I was at the level of swapping memory of looking at the CUDA
switch when on it's 10 forced shutdown the date and time went south.
Aha so I immediately swapped the battery for a known new one. Success!
 I had tested that battery on my DVM and it tested at 3.60 volts and
still did sitting on my bench. When I bridged the battery with a 220
ohm resistor the voltage dropped to 1.2 volts. Now 16 ma is not much
and I don't know what the power requirements are for the PRAM memory
(probably ziltch if it's CMOS). However there seems to be a tipping
point.
Googling I found this:
http://www.geocities.com/texas_macman/pram.html
and this:
http://www.jmooneyham.com/pmg4.html
Now I'm not used to Power Macs doing this. Most of the ones I've worked
on will start up and run fine even without a battery. They just
complaing about the clock being wrong. So maybe like that guy in the
second URL this is becoming an issue.
Richard

0
spudnuty (29)
12/30/2005 5:05:25 PM
On 25 Dec 2005 18:51:57 -0800, marcelo_990@msn.com wrote:

>Hello everyone:
>I have a Mac G4 AGP running 10.4 Tiger. I re-started  the machine
>because it was frozen,but it does not boot-up.The only thing that I get
>on the screen is a little square with a ? sign; I misplaced the OS
>Disks,I try  pressing  the key apple + "s" or "v" and nothing happened.
>I will get a new OS in the future
>but I need the machine now. Please advise,any suggestion will be
>appreciated.
>Thanks
>Marcelo
Don't try to run Tiger on a G4, get a faster G5, it will perform
better.
0
no874 (26)
12/31/2005 6:48:49 PM
In article <gjkdr1tto3eckuirkmiuo5887db8u1729t@4ax.com>,
 howdy <no@yo.spam.com> wrote:

> On 25 Dec 2005 18:51:57 -0800, marcelo_990@msn.com wrote:
>
> >Hello everyone:
> >I have a Mac G4 AGP running 10.4 Tiger. I re-started  the machine
> >because it was frozen,but it does not boot-up.The only thing that I get
> >on the screen is a little square with a ? sign;

The machine is looking for a bootable volume and can't find any. The
cause can range anywhere from a slightly corrupted file structure, to a
completely dead hard drive.

> > I misplaced the OS
> >Disks,I try  pressing  the key apple + "s" or "v" and nothing happened.

Single-user (or verbose) modes require that the boot drive have
something usable on them; you currently can't get that far.

> >I will get a new OS in the future but I need the machine now.

Do you have, or can you borrow a Diskwarrior or Tech Tool Pro CD? Boot
from that CD, and try repairing the hard drive. One other option would
be to borrow or buy a firewire hard drive, get OS X installed on it, and
use that to boot your G4 and repair/troubleshoot the internal drive.

> > Please advise,any suggestion will be appreciated.
> >Thanks
> >Marcelo

> Don't try to run Tiger on a G4, get a faster G5, it will perform better.

Marcelo, ignore the last commenter.

Tiger runs fine on G3 Macs from the B&W G3 on for light work, more than
adequately for most things on any of the G4 systems. G5s are nice, but
by no means the absolute minimum usable system.
0
sehix (4160)
12/31/2005 9:42:52 PM
howdy wrote:
> On 25 Dec 2005 18:51:57 -0800, marcelo_990@msn.com wrote:
>

>>Hello everyone:
>>I have a Mac G4 AGP running 10.4 Tiger. I re-started  the machine
>>because it was frozen,but it does not boot-up.The only thing that I get
>>on the screen is a little square with a ? sign; I misplaced the OS
>>Disks,I try  pressing  the key apple + "s" or "v" and nothing happened.
>>I will get a new OS in the future
>>but I need the machine now. Please advise,any suggestion will be
>>appreciated.
>>Thanks
>>Marcelo
>
> Don't try to run Tiger on a G4, get a faster G5, it will perform
> better.
Well yes, it will perform better--but a G4 is more than adequate for
most users. I know I certainly don't need a G5 for anything.

--
"There is nothing I understand." - Shit
0
theletterk3 (2489)

To Mac or not to Mac?

Mac to mac

When is a Mac not a Mac?

Mac Quadra to a Mac G4?
I have to transfer my Mac Quadra 840 files to my Mac G4. My Quadra OS was in the 7s (I can't even remember) and I am running OS X and Classic on my G4. Can I transfer Claris files to my Microsoft Word, and the old Photoshop, illustrator, painter, director files into the G4? I sure hope so. Thanks ...

Help! iSync mac to mac

Transferring Quadra Mac to Mac G4?
I have to transfer my Mac Quadra 840 files to my Mac G4. My Quadra OS was in the 7s (I can't even remember) and I am running OS X and Classic on my G4. Can I transfer Claris files to my Microsoft Word, and the old Photoshop, illustrator, painter, director files into the G4? I sure hope so. Thanks In article <8898fc46.0406231014.7347097e@posting.google.com>, healthystealthy@yahoo.com (Healthy Stealthy ;) wrote: > I have to transfer my Mac Quadra 840 files to my Mac G4. My Quadra OS > was in the 7s (I can't even remember) and I am running OS X and > Classic on my G4...

Mac advocacy again: Springer changes to Mac
Here's a bit of Mac advocacy for the US Independence Day. http://tinyurl.com/68ajad =46rom the article: In a YouTube video, posted below the fold, CEO Mathias D=F6pfner lists four reasons for the change: Most of the company=92s layout work was already being done on Macs Macs are more user friendly than other computers Apple creates the most elegant computers Macs are cheaper to buy and easier to maintain than they were in the past -- Dave Fritzinger Honolulu, HI Dave Fritzinger wrote: > Here's a bit of Mac advocacy for the US Independence Day. > > http://tinyurl.com/68ajad > > From the article: > > In a YouTube video, posted below the fold, CEO Mathias D�pfner lists > four reasons for the change: > > Most of the company�s layout work was already being done on Macs > Macs are more user friendly than other computers > Apple creates the most elegant computers > Macs are cheaper to buy and easier to maintain than they were in the > past > -- > Dave Fritzinger > Honolulu, HI It also said they'll be running OS X, Windows Vista and Windows XP on these machines, so basically they have just added an additonal OS to support. "Apple creates the most elegant computers". Wow, I'm glad he's not the CEO of my company. Steve In article <baidnd-wU5XcKPPVnZ2dnUVZ_hKdnZ2d@giganews.com>, Steve de Mena <steve@stevedemena.com> wrote: > Dave Fritzinger wrote: > > Here's a bit...

sys.mac.advocacy
Hi, If you want to enter in a family website open up: http://www.familypk.com/ Its an entertainment website. Thanks ...

bmp-mac, mac and xmms-mac ports
Hello, I can't find these in the ports collections, so i've downloaded and compiled mac and xmms-mac successfully and have confirmed that they work on FreeBSD. I was looking for an APE (Monkey Audio) plug-in for XMMS in the ports collection but wasn't able to find one. I had a bit of trouble with compiling xmms-mac to start off with. The compilation would fail with the following: g++ -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/X11R6/include/xmms -I/usr/local/include/gtk12 -I/usr/local/include/glib12 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -s -O3 -Wall -pedantic -DBUILD_CROSS_PLATFORM -g -O2 -o fileinfo fileinfo.o -Wl,-E -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -lgtk-12 -lgdk-12 -lgmodule-12 -lglib-12 /usr/local/lib/libintl.so /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm -lxmms /usr/lib/libmac.so -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/libgthread-12.so.3: undefined reference to `pthread_cond_timedwait' *** Error code 1 Stop in /usr/home/net147/xmms-mac-0.3.1/src. *** Error code 1 Stop in /usr/home/net147/xmms-mac-0.3.1. *** Error code 1 Stop in /usr/home/net147/xmms-mac-0.3.1. However i've managed to fix this by deleting the extracts files, re-extracting the files again, adding -lpthread to the configure.in file and then running autoconf to regenerate the configure script before compiling. # diff starts here --- configure.in.old Sun Dec 10 14:24:01 2006 +++ configure.in Sun Dec 10 14:24:...

It's a Mac, Mac, Mac World
I wonder how the Windows users would like my (ab)normal Microsoft-free world: My business: all Mac, no PCs. My dentist, family physician and urologist are all Mac. No PCs. Went to Sir Speedy today for more bus. cards and some binding: all Mac (no surprise there). My daughter's three new college room mates have emailed her. Two have PowerBooks and one has an eMac. (She has a G5 iMac.) I never even see a PC unless I am at the public library or a store using a Windows POS unit. It never was intentional. I don't scout a place to see what frickin' computer they use. Jus...

Move Mac OS X Server G4/450->Mac mini G4 with CCC ok?
I have my fully configured Mac OS X Server 10.4.7 on a G4/450 and would like to move it to a Mac mini G4 as configured. Is there anything that prevents doing this with CarbonCopyCloner (mounting my "new" Mac mini in target mode as a Firewire disk)? TIA Marc -- Switzerland/Europe <http://www.heusser.com> remove CHEERS and from MERCIAL to get valid e-mail In article <marc.heusser-7CF8B6.17434924072006@news.unizh.ch>, Marc Heusser <marc.heusser@CHEERSheusser.comMERCIALSPAMMERS.invalid> wrote: > I have my fully configured Mac OS X Server 10.4.7 on a G4/450...

Mac Miail on .mac
I have my own domain name. Is there a way to get msil under .mac to set this as the reply to address. It seems that I am forced to use the @mac address but I could well be missing something. Thanks Colin Countryman wrote: > I have my own domain name. Is there a way to get msil under .mac to set this > as the reply to address. It seems that I am forced to use the @mac address > but I could well be missing something. > > Thanks > Colin Open a new Mail message - press Command-Alt-R to display the Reply-To field. Chu -- chuenginsberg at mac dot com On Sun, 21 Jan 2...

When is a Mac no longer a Mac?
OK, so Apple's going to go to Intel CPUs. Now Macs are no longer differentiated by a slow clock and superior instruction set--we've got the same hackjob clusterfuck on speed PCs have been using for decades now. And over the last few years Apple's gone away from SCSI, NuBus, ADB, Localtalk, etc. And PCs have picked up USB, dropped floppies, and colored their cases. The hardware's basically merging between the two platforms. On the software side, the classic MacOS is gone, replaced by Unixy stuff. And like it or not, higher up on the UI level lots of Windows-li...

Mac-to-Mac VPN?
Years ago, I set up a Mac network (under OS9) with a VPN router and some software on a remote PowerBook that allowed VPN access. I'm not terribly familiar with OSX yet, but I understand that much of this functionality is now built in. Can anybody steer me in the right direction as far as hardware, software and configuration? Here's the setup I envision: - Small LAN running two Macs and a printer with a DSL connection through a router. - Remote PowerBook connected to the net varyingly with dial-up, DSL (wired), and AirPort. - Use the PowerBook to securely connect to at l...

networking mac to mac???
Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network a ibook running os.9??? possibly to a new imac running osx 5wak <rosscoism@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network a > ibook running os.9??? possibly to a new imac running osx Put an ethernet cable between them, enable tcp/ip and file sharing on one and log on from the other, seems to be what you are asking for? And you do not need a cross-over cable between modern Macs. -- /Jon For contact info, run the following in Terminal: echo 361993718603049801070734...

Mac to MAc Firewire
Hey all Looking for some help. I am trying to use a 6-6pin 1394 cable to connect two iBooks together and transfer some large files. iBook 1 dual USB 'white' iBook OS 9.2 iBook 2 G4 OSx 10.2 I boot iBook 1 into 'target drive' mode and get the firewire icon dancing about the screen then connect it to iBook 2 but the drive does not appear on the desktop. I have tried all combinations of rebooting/ connecting before and after rebooting but nothing seams to work. When the firewire is plugged in the target disk makes a short noise then nothing the host does not appear to react at ...

MAC to MAC connectivity
Hi, As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting a number of FPGA based MACs to a dedicated broadcom switch chip. The difficulty with this is that to interface both chips, I need to have two closely coupled and redundant PHY . Is it possible to connect two MAC (SGMII) directly point-to-point, bypassing the PHY completely? Or is it necessary to have at least some PHY functionality, even if it is a point to point link? Kind regards, Stephen Steve wrote: > Hi, > > As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting > a number...

mac to mac connection
Hi, PBG3 400 OS 10.3 I connect a crossover cable between my PB, and other macs running OS9, and can not mount see the other mac on my PB. Have followed the Help, but must be doing something wrong somewhere. I can however see/connect to my PB from the peripheral mac via the Chooser. I have not been able to connect to windoze machines either, but maybe that will rsolve if I can get mac to mac sharing happening. Can someone suggest what I may be overlooking or a relevant site... ? thanks indeed Chris Brown Neurosurgery University of Adelaide In article <400da705$1@yorrell.saard.net>, Chris Brown <cbrown@medicine.adelaide.edu.au> wrote: > Hi, > > > PBG3 400 OS 10.3 > > I connect a crossover cable between my PB, and other macs running OS9, > and can not mount see the other mac on my PB. Have followed the Help, > but must be doing something wrong somewhere. I can however see/connect > to my PB from the peripheral mac via the Chooser. > > I have not been able to connect to windoze machines either, but maybe > that will rsolve if I can get mac to mac sharing happening. > > Can someone suggest what I may be overlooking or a relevant site... ? > > > thanks indeed > > Chris Brown > Neurosurgery > University of Adelaide > Chris, things won't necessarily connect automagically. First, you have to turn on "File Sharing" on both machines. If you have an OS 9 box, when y...

MAC to MAC over Internet
Hi All, First I will tell you that I am not a MAC user or owner so please be patient :) I have a friend who runs a small business and they have two MAC computers in the office that are networked together and share files. The main MAC has approx 20,000 files that they share and update. One of the people will be moving away and they want to be able to connect over the Internet to the main MAC and share the files just like they do in the office today. They need to be able to have the master files on the main MAC in the office and allow the other person to easily access and update the master ...

change mac address get mac address spoofing mac address find computer by mac address
Mac Address Spoofing Report Victor J. Canny D. Abstract: Mac address can uniquely identifies each node of a network, ISPs and network administrators use mac address to manage their pc users. PC users may want to spoof mac address so that he need not to contact with ISP for a new network interface card (NIC); PC users may want to hide his mac address so that totally hide his information on the internet. Introduction Mac address, short for Media Access Control address, is a hardware address that uniquely identifies each node of a network. It means, in a local area network (LAN) or oth...

Mac G4 with Linksys WRT54G
Please be kind as I am new to this. I have a 11g PCI card in a Mac G4 on 10.3.9. I'm using a Linksys WRT54G (wireless router). I'm using WEP and all the other security options. The connection works fine after I set this up, but when I reboot the G4, it doesn't recall the settings and I have to re-entered them. I know that having Wireless SSID Broadcast disabled doesn't send out the name of the network, but I would think there would be a way to save this information so I don't have to enter name of the network and key phrase each time. When it reboots, I select Other from the Airport menu bar, and it shows doesn't find the previous settings. Any suggestions? Thanks! In article <1116893703.176719.178340@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "eastcoastguyz" <eastcoastguyz@hotmail.com> wrote: > Please be kind as I am new to this. I have a 11g PCI card in a Mac G4 > on 10.3.9. I'm using a Linksys WRT54G (wireless router). I'm using WEP > and all the other security options. The connection works fine after I > set this up, but when I reboot the G4, it doesn't recall the settings > and I have to re-entered them. I know that having Wireless SSID > Broadcast disabled doesn't send out the name of the network, but I > would think there would be a way to save this information so I don't > have to enter name of the network and key phrase each time. When it > reboots, I select Other from the Airport me...

First is was iPods, now it's Macs! Mac Advocacy
http://tinyurl.com/6sawx Or so the author says. Seems at least here, the college kids are buying a lot of Macs because of the iPod along with the fact that Mac Laptops are cheaper than their Dell cousins. Seems the college crowd is providing the Mac Advocacy. -- Regards, JP "The measure of a man is what he will do knowing he will get nothing in return" In article <jpolaski-CC78AF.11530722092004@netnews.comcast.net>, Jim Polaski <jpolaski@NOSpaMync.net> wrote: > http://tinyurl.com/6sawx > > Or so the author says. Seems at least here, the college kids ...

WTB Mac USB Keyboards and mice for G3s and G4 macs
WTB-ASAP- Mac USB Keyboards and mice for G3 and G4 Macs Thanks, Doug Franks mactechworks@mac.com 770 592 6501 V ...

Mac G4 with 1.8 ghz Przessorupgrade, Ati 9200 mac edition
Since half a year my G4 alltime freezes, i testet a lot of Things but nothing worked. maybe i need a bett Grafic-card or what do ya think. Please help me ...

Mac Users!
A friend of mine is having problems getting NG access with his new Mac OS. If anyone can help him, I'm sure he would be eternally grateful. He does have email so please feel free to assist him any which way you can...many thanks. email: cugjcsreattelusplanet.net In article <ZA8Wb.26502$964.13121@edtnps84>, "Rich" <richsuf@hotmail.com> wrote: > A friend of mine is having problems getting NG access with his new Mac OS. > If anyone can help him, I'm sure he would be eternally grateful. > He does have email so please feel free to assist him any which wa...

Web resources about - Mac g4 - comp.sys.mac.advocacy

Anvil for Mac
Anvil takes your site folder, gives it a .dev URL and makes it run for you. Works for any static HTML sites and Rack apps. I thought this was ...

Celebrate the Mac
Great site put together by Jonathan Zufi, the man behind the Iconic book.

Cult of Mac - Breaking news for Apple fans
The weekend hasn’t arrived quite yet, as Apple has quietly pushed out a revised build of iOS 5.1.1 for the GSM iPhone 4 (AT&T). The update (Build ...

Mac and Apple News, Tips, Help and Reviews - The Mac Observer
Daily news, opinions, editorials, reviews, tips, help, forums, comments, and podcasts all relating to the Mac, Apple, the iPod, the iPhone, and ...

MacVoices - The Talk of the Mac Community
Adam Engst and Chuck Joiner got to do one of their favorite things when they made a virtual visit to the Chicago Apple User Group for a MacNotables ...

Useful Mac
New website by Garrett Murray. Already a winner by introducing me to this gem of a Safari extension .

File:Freddie Mac.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The image is placed in the infobox at the top of the article discussing Freddie Mac, a subject of public interest. The significance of the logo ...

‘Buy what you want’ deal lets you grab any 10 of 40 top-rated Mac apps for $20
There are a lot of Mac app bundles around , but one from BundleHunt this week looks very appealing – offering a choice of ten top-rated Mac apps ...

Mac users targeted by KeRanger ransomware here's how to remove it
... held to ransom. As with so many forms of malware, it has been PC users that have borne the brunt of attacks, but over the weekend it was Mac ...