Media Mac, HTPC Mac

I'm going to write an article in MacWorld about connecting a Mac to
your TV in a fashion where mouse and keyboard is not part of the
interface.

I wanted to see if any of you guys think I've missed anything here, in
the basic setup of the article:

Hardware
    Mac mini
    TV
    Remote Controls
        ATI Remote Wonder
        Keyspan Express / Digital Remote
        IRTrans (IR Receiver)
        Apple Remote
        Salling Clicker
    Xbox 360
    EyeTV
    EyeHome

Software
    iRed (for IRTrans)
    Connect360 (for connection to Xbox 360)
    Menufela (to hide menu bar)
    Menushade (to dim menubar)

Frontends
    Frontrow
    EyeTV
    MediaCentral
    iTheater        Just to mention, it's alpha
    MythTV          Just to mention, it's an advanced setup

Focus
    Settings in the OS
        Energy saver off
        Screensaver off
        Bluetooth auto-connect off
        Automatic software update oss
        Auto login
        Restart at power failure
        Don't play DVD videos automatically
    EPG settings for EyeTV in Sweden
    Background images
    Applescript/Automator to set up actions such as "Watch DVD".

Something I've forgotten? It's going to be a 6-page article, so there
is always room for more. :)

And for you Windows fans - yes, I know that Windows Media Center does
all of the above out of the box. The Mac most certainly isn't there
yet, and the headline of the article is probably going to be something
like "Media Mac, is it ready for prime time?"

--
Sandman[.net]
0

"Sandman" <mr@sandman.net> stated in post
mr-8FA543.08050626082006@individual.net on 8/25/06 11:05 PM:

> I'm going to write an article in MacWorld about connecting a Mac to
> your TV in a fashion where mouse and keyboard is not part of the
> interface.
>
> I wanted to see if any of you guys think I've missed anything here, in
> the basic setup of the article:
>
> Hardware
>     Mac mini
>     TV
>     Remote Controls
>         ATI Remote Wonder
>         Keyspan Express / Digital Remote
>         IRTrans (IR Receiver)
>         Apple Remote
>         Salling Clicker
>     Xbox 360
>     EyeTV
>     EyeHome
>
> Software
>     iRed (for IRTrans)
>     Connect360 (for connection to Xbox 360)
>     Menufela (to hide menu bar)
>     Menushade (to dim menubar)
>
> Frontends
>     Frontrow
>     EyeTV
>     MediaCentral
>     iTheater        Just to mention, it's alpha
>     MythTV          Just to mention, it's an advanced setup
>
> Focus
>     Settings in the OS
>         Energy saver off
>         Screensaver off
>         Bluetooth auto-connect off
>         Automatic software update oss
>         Auto login
>         Restart at power failure
>         Don't play DVD videos automatically
>     EPG settings for EyeTV in Sweden
>     Background images
>     Applescript/Automator to set up actions such as "Watch DVD".
>
> Something I've forgotten? It's going to be a 6-page article, so there
> is always room for more. :)
>
> And for you Windows fans - yes, I know that Windows Media Center does
> all of the above out of the box. The Mac most certainly isn't there
> yet, and the headline of the article is probably going to be something
> like "Media Mac, is it ready for prime time?"

This might help you:

    <http://homepage.mac.com/chamady/MacMiniReview/>

You could also point to the MacWorld article (by Christopher Breen) that
covers at least some of what you are trying to cover:

    <http://www.macworld.com/2006/06/firstlooks/mediacentral/index.php>

Maybe you can just point people to the articles and then list the additions
/ changes you are suggesting... and explain why you think they are of value.

--
� Teaching is a "real job"
��The path "~/users/username/library/widget" is not common on any OS

0
SNIT (24281)

To Mac or not to Mac?

When is a Mac not a Mac?

Mac to mac

Help! iSync mac to mac

It's a Mac, Mac, Mac World
I wonder how the Windows users would like my (ab)normal Microsoft-free world: My business: all Mac, no PCs. My dentist, family physician and urologist are all Mac. No PCs. Went to Sir Speedy today for more bus. cards and some binding: all Mac (no surprise there). My daughter's three new college room mates have emailed her. Two have PowerBooks and one has an eMac. (She has a G5 iMac.) I never even see a PC unless I am at the public library or a store using a Windows POS unit. It never was intentional. I don't scout a place to see what frickin' computer they use. Jus...

bmp-mac, mac and xmms-mac ports
Hello, I can't find these in the ports collections, so i've downloaded and compiled mac and xmms-mac successfully and have confirmed that they work on FreeBSD. I was looking for an APE (Monkey Audio) plug-in for XMMS in the ports collection but wasn't able to find one. I had a bit of trouble with compiling xmms-mac to start off with. The compilation would fail with the following: g++ -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/X11R6/include/xmms -I/usr/local/include/gtk12 -I/usr/local/include/glib12 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -s -O3 -Wall -pedantic -DBUILD_CROSS_PLATFORM -g -O2 -o fileinfo fileinfo.o -Wl,-E -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -lgtk-12 -lgdk-12 -lgmodule-12 -lglib-12 /usr/local/lib/libintl.so /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm -lxmms /usr/lib/libmac.so -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/libgthread-12.so.3: undefined reference to `pthread_cond_timedwait' *** Error code 1 Stop in /usr/home/net147/xmms-mac-0.3.1/src. *** Error code 1 Stop in /usr/home/net147/xmms-mac-0.3.1. *** Error code 1 Stop in /usr/home/net147/xmms-mac-0.3.1. However i've managed to fix this by deleting the extracts files, re-extracting the files again, adding -lpthread to the configure.in file and then running autoconf to regenerate the configure script before compiling. # diff starts here --- configure.in.old Sun Dec 10 14:24:01 2006 +++ configure.in Sun Dec 10 14:24:...

The Mac Media Center Project
This projects plans to develop a free Media Center application for the Apple Macintosh, bringing togther the power and intuitiveness of the Macs' built in applications under a simple interface, for use as part of a Home Theatre system. We also have information on 5.1 audio, remote control and video output solutions for the Mac. The Project aim is to turn the Mac mini into a Mac Media Center. http://mrzippy.org.uk/macmediacenter/ ...

MAC to MAC connectivity
Hi, As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting a number of FPGA based MACs to a dedicated broadcom switch chip. The difficulty with this is that to interface both chips, I need to have two closely coupled and redundant PHY . Is it possible to connect two MAC (SGMII) directly point-to-point, bypassing the PHY completely? Or is it necessary to have at least some PHY functionality, even if it is a point to point link? Kind regards, Stephen Steve wrote: > Hi, > > As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting > a number...

MAC to MAC over Internet
Hi All, First I will tell you that I am not a MAC user or owner so please be patient :) I have a friend who runs a small business and they have two MAC computers in the office that are networked together and share files. The main MAC has approx 20,000 files that they share and update. One of the people will be moving away and they want to be able to connect over the Internet to the main MAC and share the files just like they do in the office today. They need to be able to have the master files on the main MAC in the office and allow the other person to easily access and update the master ...

When is a Mac no longer a Mac?
OK, so Apple's going to go to Intel CPUs. Now Macs are no longer differentiated by a slow clock and superior instruction set--we've got the same hackjob clusterfuck on speed PCs have been using for decades now. And over the last few years Apple's gone away from SCSI, NuBus, ADB, Localtalk, etc. And PCs have picked up USB, dropped floppies, and colored their cases. The hardware's basically merging between the two platforms. On the software side, the classic MacOS is gone, replaced by Unixy stuff. And like it or not, higher up on the UI level lots of Windows-li...

mac to mac connection
Hi, PBG3 400 OS 10.3 I connect a crossover cable between my PB, and other macs running OS9, and can not mount see the other mac on my PB. Have followed the Help, but must be doing something wrong somewhere. I can however see/connect to my PB from the peripheral mac via the Chooser. I have not been able to connect to windoze machines either, but maybe that will rsolve if I can get mac to mac sharing happening. Can someone suggest what I may be overlooking or a relevant site... ? thanks indeed Chris Brown Neurosurgery University of Adelaide In article <400da705$1@yorrell.saard.net>, Chris Brown <cbrown@medicine.adelaide.edu.au> wrote: > Hi, > > > PBG3 400 OS 10.3 > > I connect a crossover cable between my PB, and other macs running OS9, > and can not mount see the other mac on my PB. Have followed the Help, > but must be doing something wrong somewhere. I can however see/connect > to my PB from the peripheral mac via the Chooser. > > I have not been able to connect to windoze machines either, but maybe > that will rsolve if I can get mac to mac sharing happening. > > Can someone suggest what I may be overlooking or a relevant site... ? > > > thanks indeed > > Chris Brown > Neurosurgery > University of Adelaide > Chris, things won't necessarily connect automagically. First, you have to turn on "File Sharing" on both machines. If you have an OS 9 box, when y...

Mac Miail on .mac
I have my own domain name. Is there a way to get msil under .mac to set this as the reply to address. It seems that I am forced to use the @mac address but I could well be missing something. Thanks Colin Countryman wrote: > I have my own domain name. Is there a way to get msil under .mac to set this > as the reply to address. It seems that I am forced to use the @mac address > but I could well be missing something. > > Thanks > Colin Open a new Mail message - press Command-Alt-R to display the Reply-To field. Chu -- chuenginsberg at mac dot com On Sun, 21 Jan 2...

Mac to MAc Firewire
Hey all Looking for some help. I am trying to use a 6-6pin 1394 cable to connect two iBooks together and transfer some large files. iBook 1 dual USB 'white' iBook OS 9.2 iBook 2 G4 OSx 10.2 I boot iBook 1 into 'target drive' mode and get the firewire icon dancing about the screen then connect it to iBook 2 but the drive does not appear on the desktop. I have tried all combinations of rebooting/ connecting before and after rebooting but nothing seams to work. When the firewire is plugged in the target disk makes a short noise then nothing the host does not appear to react at ...

networking mac to mac???
Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network a ibook running os.9??? possibly to a new imac running osx 5wak <rosscoism@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network a > ibook running os.9??? possibly to a new imac running osx Put an ethernet cable between them, enable tcp/ip and file sharing on one and log on from the other, seems to be what you are asking for? And you do not need a cross-over cable between modern Macs. -- /Jon For contact info, run the following in Terminal: echo 361993718603049801070734...

Mac-to-Mac VPN?
Years ago, I set up a Mac network (under OS9) with a VPN router and some software on a remote PowerBook that allowed VPN access. I'm not terribly familiar with OSX yet, but I understand that much of this functionality is now built in. Can anybody steer me in the right direction as far as hardware, software and configuration? Here's the setup I envision: - Small LAN running two Macs and a printer with a DSL connection through a router. - Remote PowerBook connected to the net varyingly with dial-up, DSL (wired), and AirPort. - Use the PowerBook to securely connect to at l...

Mac advocacy again: Springer changes to Mac
Here's a bit of Mac advocacy for the US Independence Day. http://tinyurl.com/68ajad =46rom the article: In a YouTube video, posted below the fold, CEO Mathias D=F6pfner lists four reasons for the change: Most of the company=92s layout work was already being done on Macs Macs are more user friendly than other computers Apple creates the most elegant computers Macs are cheaper to buy and easier to maintain than they were in the past -- Dave Fritzinger Honolulu, HI Dave Fritzinger wrote: > Here's a bit of Mac advocacy for the US Independence Day. > > http://tinyurl.com/68ajad > > From the article: > > In a YouTube video, posted below the fold, CEO Mathias D�pfner lists > four reasons for the change: > > Most of the company�s layout work was already being done on Macs > Macs are more user friendly than other computers > Apple creates the most elegant computers > Macs are cheaper to buy and easier to maintain than they were in the > past > -- > Dave Fritzinger > Honolulu, HI It also said they'll be running OS X, Windows Vista and Windows XP on these machines, so basically they have just added an additonal OS to support. "Apple creates the most elegant computers". Wow, I'm glad he's not the CEO of my company. Steve In article <baidnd-wU5XcKPPVnZ2dnUVZ_hKdnZ2d@giganews.com>, Steve de Mena <steve@stevedemena.com> wrote: > Dave Fritzinger wrote: > > Here's a bit...

change mac address get mac address spoofing mac address find computer by mac address
Mac Address Spoofing Report Victor J. Canny D. Abstract: Mac address can uniquely identifies each node of a network, ISPs and network administrators use mac address to manage their pc users. PC users may want to spoof mac address so that he need not to contact with ISP for a new network interface card (NIC); PC users may want to hide his mac address so that totally hide his information on the internet. Introduction Mac address, short for Media Access Control address, is a hardware address that uniquely identifies each node of a network. It means, in a local area network (LAN) or oth...

Anyone got Mac classic Mac emulation running well on their Intel Mac?
Despite switching to DOSBox and VMware's Fusion with WinXP to handle my classic gaming needs, there are still a bunch of classic MacOS games I'm desperate to run on my Intel Mac. I've tried and failed to get Ballisk and SheepShaver running. Mini vMac runs but has a nasty, nasty habbit of corrupting disk images opened in both it and OSX. *sigh* Has anyone had any sucess? Why is classic Mac emulation so way behind other emulation efforts? With Amiga emulation running it's surprising classic Mac emulation is so far behind :-( TIA, Jamie Kahn Genet -- If you&...

How to crush a Mac with a Windows mac....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1U854LusZg Save yourself 200% On Friday, October 23, 2015 at 3:29:40 PM UTC-4, MuahMan wrote: > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1U854LusZg > > Save yourself 200% https://youtu.be/G1U854LusZg?t=2m41s On 10/23/15 12:29 PM, MuahMan wrote: > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1U854LusZg > > Save yourself 200% > Wow. Please quote where the person doing the testing said it "crushed" anything? He actually seems to say that the iMac is faster than his "Hackintosh", Brian, and once you factor in the pu...

MAC vs MAC+PHY
What's the difference? -- Randy Yates Digital Signal Labs http://www.digitalsignallabs.com On Sun, 18 May 2014 19:44:19 -0400, Randy Yates <yates@digitalsignallabs.com> wrote: >What's the difference? One is just a MAC, and needs a separate PHY, the other does both? Think of the MAC has a higher level, dealing with frames, and the PHY as dealing with the , *ahem*, physical layer - encoding, signaling, etc. In a 10mb Ethernet implementation you might use the same MAC for 10base-5, 10base-2, 10base-T or 10base-F, but (obviously) would need a different phys...

Phyless MAC to MAC connection
I am on a project where we have an ethernet interface between an MPC8270 with a Wintegra 787 using a phyless MAC-to-MAC connection. On the MPC8270 we are using an FCC for this. I am using VxWorks 5.5 for this project. Can anyone tell me if I need to change VxWorks End Driver to make this happen. From what I understand currently, when the End Driver is initialized there is no initialization string which can indicate that there is no PHY out there. Has anyone implemented this before? Thanks, - Manish M Trojan wrote: > I am on a project where we have an ethernet interface between ...

Oracle on the Mac ... RAC on Mac
Advanced Technology Services will be at Oracle OpenWorld, Moscone West 3rd Floor in San Francisco. We will have 400 square feet dedicated to the Apple+10g, the world's leading experts on Oracle on the Mac OSX/Darwin platform and live Oracle on Mac servers including one the world's largest RAC clusters. Also present will be Kent Stroker of ATS, formerly Oracle's Sales Engineer of the year, and one of the world's leading RAC and Grid experts. Come by and join us. Bring your questions. We look forward to meeting you there. Note: We will also be at UKOUG 31-Octobe...

Macs and Mac Users. A Rant.
http://tragicallyunhip.wordpress.com/2008/03/26/macs-and-mac-users-a-rant/ Macs and Mac Users. A Rant. March 26, 2008 tragicallyunhip Yanno. for years we've had to listen to Mac users go on and on and ON in the superior tone about how great Macs are and about how they just never break. Well, let me tell you, I have spent enough years in IT to know they do. A LOT. My last job was at a company whose graphics department was, as you might expect, Mac-based. And I spent just as much time down there working on them as I did ANY PC. But that's just the tip of the iceberg. What about the whole Mav VS PC thing? What about those annoying "I'm a Mac" ads? I tell you, I want to get that obnoxious Mac guy and bash his face in with a $*^&ing hammer! Why do Mac feel the need to slag off PCs just to advertise their own product? Have they got nothing to say about their own hardware and software that speaks for itself? Does everything have to be based on this ridiculous childish anti-PC thing? Yanno what Mac? NOBODY GIVES A SHIT! Get over yourselves. Advertise your product based on its own (limited) merits. Christ, even entering the network properties of a Mac OS to see the PCs you're connected to in your network, the icon for the PCs is a crappy looking old beige monitor with a BSOD error on it! I mean, GROW UP! Nobody wants to know. And speaking of BSOD, I have one word Mac: LEOPARD! Code name Train Wreck! Oh and that reminds me; Mac works w...

Mac and non Mac Partition
Hello, I want to use my mac to copy some files to mp3 players or other portable stup. The problem for instance in a Fat16 partion the mac write some "._blahblah" files. And some player doesn't like these file and get frozen. I have to plug the player (or it's memory card) to a Pc, the remove these file in order to make it working. Is there a way to avoid this ? Thanks John In article <4a4cc7f2$0$12658$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>, John <NoSpam@NoSpam.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I want to use my mac to copy some files to mp3 players or other portable ...

Web resources about - Media Mac, HTPC Mac - comp.sys.mac.advocacy

Mediaș - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
...  / 46.16389; 24.35083 Coordinates : 46°9′50″N 24°21′3″E  /  46.16389°N 24.35083°E  / 46.16389; 24.35083 [ˈmedi.aʃ] ; German : Mediasch ; ...

About Social Media
Even though you are a professional search marketer, you might still get nervous when meeting a new client for the first time. Regardless, you ...

eMedia Vitals - Digital, Mobile and Social Media Engagement Strategies & Tactics
Roger Fidler’s survey of mobile media device users finds that iPad owners are, by far, the most likely to use a mobile device for news consumption. ...

Herald Mail Media: Tri-State breaking news, sports, business, entertainment, weather and traffic
Tri-State breaking news, sports, business, entertainment, weather and traffic

SEO Agency Manchester, Social Media, PPC, Display & Affiliate Marketing - Lakestar Media
Lakestar Media offer services including SEO, Social Media Monitoring, PPC, Affiliate Marketing, Display advertising and Daily News Feeds

mediabistro.com: jobs, classes, community and news for media professionals
Jobs and recruiting for media professionals in journalism, on-line content, book publishing, TV, radio, PR, graphic design, photography, and ...

Mediaite.com - News & Opinion - Media: TV, Print, Online, Jobs, Ranking
Mediaite is a news and opinion blog and aggregator for the media industry. Coverage includes newspapers, magazines, online, and television. The ...

MediaNama: Telecom, Internet, Digital Media, Mobile, Apps in India
MediaNama would like to thank its sponsors: Akamai, ComScore, Crazeal, E2E, Flipkart, Goibibo, Hazel Media, Imsy, Indiatimes, MouthShut.com, ...

MediaPost – News and Conferences for Media, Marketing and Online Advertising Professionals
MediaPost Publications is an online resource for all advertising media professionals - Online, TV, cable, radio, print, interactive, agencies, ...