Microsoft and rights management. right...

What M$ has in store for you.

http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/2003/9/25/101437/094

--
Regards,
JP

Macintosh for productivity. Linux for servers. Palm/Visor for mobility. Windows to feed the Black Hole in your IT budget
0
jpolaski2 (4002)

In article <jpolaski-457F9F.17031301102003@netnews.attbi.com>, Jim Polaski wrote:
> What M$ has in store for you.
>
> http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/2003/9/25/101437/094

Gosh...Microsoft providing what the customers want.  How evil of them.

--
Evidence Eliminator is worthless.  See evidence-eliminator-sucks.com
--Tim Smith
Smith <reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

> In article <jpolaski-457F9F.17031301102003@netnews.attbi.com>, Jim Polaski
> wrote:
> > What M$ has in store for you.
> >
> > http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/2003/9/25/101437/094
>
> Gosh...Microsoft providing what the customers want.  How evil of them.

I hope you had your tongue firmly in cheek when you typed that! <G>

I saw this the other day and figure out I'll handle it just like I
handle unwanted callers on my phone and spam in my email, only a bit
more forcefully.

Should I receive one of these idiot secure documents or email, just
bounce them right back!

But a question arises, if it is 'secure' but only can be read or
whatever with MS permission policy use, how is anyone outside of a MS
house gonna use it?  Something tells me that outside the corporate
firewall, this shit will be a dud.

Lloyd
In article <051020031550163041%lloydparsons@nospammac.com>, Lloyd Parsons
wrote:
>> Gosh...Microsoft providing what the customers want.  How evil of them.
>
> I hope you had your tongue firmly in cheek when you typed that! <G>

No, customers are asking them for this kind of thing.  Corporate users want
to be able to pass around mail, spreadsheets, and stuff like that, both
within a given office, and to other branch offices, subcontractors, etc.,
with some protection against accidents or out-of-date messages.

> But a question arises, if it is 'secure' but only can be read or whatever
> with MS permission policy use, how is anyone outside of a MS house gonna
> use it?  Something tells me that outside the corporate firewall, this shit
> will be a dud.

So?  Inside the corporations is where the money is.

Apple should probably do something in this area, such as taking one of the
free projects that does this kind of thing (yes, I've seen such projects),
adopting it for OS X, and publish full specs, with a completely free (in all
senses) license to allow others to implement it--maybe even do a good free
Windows implementation themselves.

The idea here is to try to make sure that corporations standardize on a free
version of this kind of rights management, rather than an MS-only version,
so that people won't be forced to go to MS to interoperate.

--
Evidence Eliminator is worthless.  See evidence-eliminator-sucks.com
--Tim Smith
0
reply_in_group (13194)
10/6/2003 12:23:37 AM
In article <dC2gb.3592$Qy2.2756@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net>, Tim
Smith <reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

> In article <051020031550163041%lloydparsons@nospammac.com>, Lloyd Parsons
> wrote:
> >> Gosh...Microsoft providing what the customers want.  How evil of them.
> >
> > I hope you had your tongue firmly in cheek when you typed that! <G>
>
> No, customers are asking them for this kind of thing.  Corporate users want
> to be able to pass around mail, spreadsheets, and stuff like that, both
> within a given office, and to other branch offices, subcontractors, etc.,
> with some protection against accidents or out-of-date messages.

Where have you found that customers are asking for it?  I know MS has
used that line since forever, but even after over 20 years in this
business, I've yet to come across anyone that was ever asked.

But something is niggling at the back of my head.  Didn't Word and
Excel have something like this in earlier versions?  I'm almost certain
that they did.

> > But a question arises, if it is 'secure' but only can be read or whatever
> > with MS permission policy use, how is anyone outside of a MS house gonna
> > use it?  Something tells me that outside the corporate firewall, this shit
> > will be a dud.
>
> So?  Inside the corporations is where the money is.

Yep, lots of money, but the growth and profit is in small business.

> Apple should probably do something in this area, such as taking one of the
> free projects that does this kind of thing (yes, I've seen such projects),
> adopting it for OS X, and publish full specs, with a completely free (in all
> senses) license to allow others to implement it--maybe even do a good free
> Windows implementation themselves.
>
> The idea here is to try to make sure that corporations standardize on a free
> version of this kind of rights management, rather than an MS-only version,
> so that people won't be forced to go to MS to interoperate.

Anything that would keep MS from setting the standard would be good.
But I'm not sure DRM by any other name is such a hot idea.

Lloyd
In article <dC2gb.3592$Qy2.2756@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
 Tim Smith <reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

> In article <051020031550163041%lloydparsons@nospammac.com>, Lloyd Parsons
> wrote:
> >> Gosh...Microsoft providing what the customers want.  How evil of them.
> >
> > I hope you had your tongue firmly in cheek when you typed that! <G>
>
> No, customers are asking them for this kind of thing.  Corporate users want
> to be able to pass around mail, spreadsheets, and stuff like that, both
> within a given office, and to other branch offices, subcontractors, etc.,
> with some protection against accidents or out-of-date messages.

Got any evidence of this?

> > But a question arises, if it is 'secure' but only can be read or whatever
> > with MS permission policy use, how is anyone outside of a MS house gonna
> > use it?  Something tells me that outside the corporate firewall, this shit
> > will be a dud.
>
> So?  Inside the corporations is where the money is.
>
> Apple should probably do something in this area, such as taking one of the
> free projects that does this kind of thing (yes, I've seen such projects),
> adopting it for OS X, and publish full specs, with a completely free (in all
> senses) license to allow others to implement it--maybe even do a good free
> Windows implementation themselves.
>
> The idea here is to try to make sure that corporations standardize on a free
> version of this kind of rights management, rather than an MS-only version,
> so that people won't be forced to go to MS to interoperate.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

Is a Mac Right For You? A growing number of entrepreneurs are deciding a Mac is the right computer for them.
From Entrepreneur.com: http://tinyurl.com/5moenl Cuss and discuss. Is a Mac Right For You? A growing number of entrepreneurs are deciding a Mac is the right computer for them. By Jason R. Rich �October 20, 2008 Not long ago, if you were to ask PC users what they thought about Apple Macs, you'd probably get one of two responses: Either they'd say, "Oh, those are the computers used by college students," or you'd hear, "Aren't Macs used only by creative types, like artists and musicians?" What today's�business�people and�entrepreneurs�are quickly ...

Aussies say no to Microsoft rights management, zdnet.com.au
NOIE: No thanks to Microsoft rights management Andrew Colley Oct 29 2003 The Australian National Office for the Information Economy (NOIE) today said it wouldn't endorse use of Microsoft's controversial document security technology, Information Rights Management (IRM) in commonwealth agencies. NOIE, general manager infrastructure and governance, Steve Alford, said that the advisory body had assessed both prototypes and the latest iteration of Microsoft's rights management technology and found it to unsuitable for the government's needs. .. .. Alford indicated that IRM might ...

Right Tool for the Right Job
I use a Macbook 15." Why? Because it works. I had a Windows failure when I was traveling and I made the switch. At home I have a Vista Ultimate 64 machine, that I use for video editing. It is a Core 2 Duo with 4GB of RAM, two Seagate 320GB SATA drives configured in a RAID 1 (mirrored) volume. However I got that copy of Vista U. for free - thank you MS Action Pack! I also used to use FreeBSD and Ubuntu - until a drive failed. I never restored the system. I used the Linux machine all thought my masters degree - thanks to OpenOffice. I never had a compatibility problem when I ...

Right time at the right place.
Hello fellow computer and internet user, Its our time to EARN residual income from the computer repair and internet expensis we have.I don't want to waste important your time, just give me a chance to reveal these honest to goodness "Internet Money Earning Secrets!". Our system is AUTOMATED so you don't have to worry about personal rejection. And, when you do find someone who's really serious about improving their finances, our automated system presents your business opportunity to them, one step at a time. People that have read this same email just 1-2 months ago, are...

Right time at the right place.
Hello fellow computer and internet user, Its our time to EARN residual income from the computer repair and internet expensis we have.I don't want to waste important your time, just give me a chance to reveal these honest to goodness "Internet Money Earning Secrets!". Our system is AUTOMATED so you don't have to worry about personal rejection. And, when you do find someone who's really serious about improving their finances, our automated system presents your business opportunity to them, one step at a time. People that have read this same email just 1-2 months ago, ...

RESOUR> [NetGold] HUMAN RIGHTS AND CIVIL RIGHTS: ORGANIZATIONS: Human Rights Watch
From: NetHappenings Moderator Date: Thursday, December 18, 2003 To: comp.internet.net-happenings Subject: RESOUR> [NetGold] HUMAN RIGHTS AND CIVIL RIGHTS: ORGANIZATIONS: Human Rights Watch ************************************************************** Net Happenings - From Educational CyberPlayGround ************************************************************** Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 14:08:14 -0500 (EST) From: David P. Dillard <jwne@temple.edu> Reply-To: NetGold@yahoogroups.com To: NetGold <NetGold@yahoogroups.com> Subject: [NetGold] HUMAN RIGHTS AND CIVIL RIGHTS...

[News] Microsoft Office Embargoed

The right criticisms for the right OS (and/or its users)
I'm sure everyone will agree that Windows 7 flat-out rocks. No? Well, get a life, then. But yeah, Vista was the Windows Me of NT- based OSes, and now they're quickly putting XP out to pasture, when it's still the most widely used OS, and those are fair criticisms of Microsoft. (Then again, in Vista's case, they would have at some point had to release it - and it never would've gotten good enough until after it was released. That's unfortunately part of the game they were playing, but it was worth it to get past the initial rewrite, and achieve Win7. The NT/2000/XP ...

block the right port on the right ip
hi,i know in some countries, several people share the same ip but different ports, so i think "block ip only" is not appropriate. may we should just block the right port at the right ip.does anybody there agree with me? samplestrategy@gmail.com dixit: > hi,i know in some countries, several people share the same ip but > different ports, In order to share the same physical IP address, you gotta have a router that supports NAT or some other protocol that will translate between public (physical) and virtual (private) IP addresses. So, the rule is, a host...

what does SHIFT-left-or-right of up-down-left-right do?
Well, I know about shift up-and-down: shift-right ("red" or whatever) up and down on choose-box, HIST, things like that, take the cursor all the way to the beginning or the end. shift-left ("white") on up and down scroll the screen-full up or down (the FIRST such click *stupidly* goes to the final CURRENTLY-ON-SCREEN choice or whatever (meaning TWO double-button-pushes to scroll-down that FIRST time.) What are some of the OTHER possibilities, ie with the left and right arrows? Oh, apparantely undocumented, I&#...

Z1300 Update: InkStop Does Right, but Are They Right?
Well, I hauled the nonfunctioning Lexmark 34/35 "compatibles" back to InkStop this afternoon. Guess Kid Behind the Counter from Saturday must be back in school. His BIg Sister, who sold me the original pair, was back. Only today she was accompanied by Gramps, who I guess runs the place. Both of them repeated Kid's suggestion that I trade in their cartridges for a pair of OEMs, but to their credit and their company's, they didn't hesitate to refund my money when I told them I'd already bought OEMs elsewhere. Anyway, Gramps says they get around 4 per cent ...

setuid right without execution rights
Hello, I saw that you can give setuid rights to a file without execution right. What's the point of this ? In article <422d7f6d$0$17144$636a15ce@news.free.fr>, Jeremy <sargon@no-log.org.spamno> wrote: > Hello, > I saw that you can give setuid rights to a file without execution right. > What's the point of this ? What OS are we talking about? The way you talk about this leads me to believe you may not come from a UNIX background. On MacOS X, the chmod man page says (the set-user-ID-on-execution bit) Executable files with this bit set will run w...

Compose key on right alt + right ctrl
Hello all. I use xorg 7.2 with the German keyboard layout (no dead keys). The relevant section from my xorg.conf: Section "InputDevice" Identifier "Keyboard1" Driver "kbd" Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30" Option "XkbRules" "xorg" Option "XkbModel" "pc105" Option "XkbLayout" "de" Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys" Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps,eurosign:e" EndSection Now I'd like to ...

right-on
Imagine how useless comp.arch.embedded would be if everybody looking for a job posted articles such as yours. Please refrain from again doing so. Michael ======================================================= Michael Kesti | "And like, one and one don't make | two, one and one make one." mrkesti at comcast dot net | - The Who, Bargain Imagine how useless Democracy would be if it were run like usenet news - I've come to expect this crapshit from you fucking americans. ...

am i right?
Hi evereybody. I have to find a = ((AA'*AA)^(-1))*(AA'*ZZ) I write the code below. The values of the result have to be in the order a11,a22,a33,a12,a13,a23,a14,a24,a34. Am I right?? Thanks AA = ones(length(r),9); for i = 1:length(D), AA(i,:) = [Z(i,1)*Z(i,1) Z(i,2)*Z(i,2) Z(i,3)*Z(i,3) 2*Z(i,1)*Z(i,2) 2*Z(i,2)*Z(i,3) 2*Z(i,1)*Z(i,3) 2*Z(i,1) 2*Z(i,2) 2*Z(i,3)]; end BB = AA'; ZZ = linspace(0,0,length(D)); ZZ = ZZ'; for i = 1:length(D), ZZ(i) = Z(i,3); end num = BB*ZZ; den = BB*AA; inv_den = inv(den); coeff = inv_den*num Do you realize that (AA'*AA)^(-1) = (AA^-...

Is this right??
I have a 3-way network, but it has Internet Connection Sharing (128K ADSL Connection) rather than a router. Now the only difference would be that if i had a router, it would pick the best route (channel for data) at the time, which will make transfer a bit faster?? AM I CORRECT?? Thanx. Radith NO. -- Ross "Radith" <radith@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message news:LLyxc.51$s52.2211@news.xtra.co.nz... > I have a 3-way network, but it has Internet Connection Sharing (128K ADSL > Connection) rather than a router. > Now the only difference would be that if...

Is this right?
Am I right in making these assumptions? When an application is linked to the shared C library it calls XSharedCLibrary_LibInitAPCS_32, and this fills in the stubs (that initially look like lots of MOV PC,#0 instructions) with branches to entry points of code inside the CLib module. Branches must be to addresses within + or - 8Mb, there being only 24 bitsworth of offset in the branch instruction. Ergo, the CLib module must be stored within 8Mb of the area in which applications run. -- Gavin Wraith (gavin@wra1th.plus.com) Home page: http://www.wra1th.plus.com/ On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 13:41:22 ...

It is right?
*** Problem: [knuth's book 1 page 19 exercise 5][21] A prime number is an integer > 1 th= at has no divisor other than 1 and itself. Using this definition and mathem= atical induction, prove that every integer > 1 may be written as a product = of one or more prime number. (Aprime number is considered to be the "produ= ct" of a single prime, namely itself.) *** what I discover: Let two number n as n =3D P(ai) as product of i prime number ai n+1 =3D P(aj) where we want prove that aj are prime=20 n =3D n +1 -1 P(ai) =3D P(aj) -1 P(aj) - P(ai) =3D 1 (P(aj) / P...

am i right
Hi 1. I compile my source code using gcc 2.95.3 and I use "-g" option along with O2 ( optimization flag ). I then "strip" the executable and give it a run. 2. And then I compiled same source code _without_ "-g" option and "strip" the executable (even though not useful) and give it a run. I found that performance of the code is better when I dont use "-g". How is this possible ? Does -g hampers the -O2 level of optimations ? Machine : RH9 Kernel : 2.4.20-20.x -A funtoosh wrote: > Hi > > 1. > I compile my source code using gc...

Task Manager Right for this?
We have 1200 drawings (In one folder with no subfolders) that need to have the sheet template reloaded (this is 1200 separate files by the way not 600 files with 2 sheets each). I have a macro to reload the sheet format. What I need to have done now is to get either the task manager or the macro to have it open each of the 1200 files and then run the reload sheet format macro and then close the drawing to go on to the next drawing and repeat 1200 times. Now we have task scheduler, but when I try to make a custom task I can tell the Program Path should be Solidworks.exe and I can tell it the m...

free ipods and xbox are RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW !!!
www.customsoftwarezone.com/free Here it is.. The same guys that brought you the free iPods are now giving away free XBox 360s !!! Click my link for 3 FREE items: xbox 360, 60GB photo iPod, and 1GB iPod Shuffle.. www.customsoftwarezone.com/free It's a GREAT deal. Doesn't cost a dime... xbox x box x-box 360 xbox360 x-box360 x box360 iPod IPOD I Pod I-Pod i-pod shuffle photo 60 60G 60GB 1 1G 1GB xbox x box x-box 360 xbox360 x-box360 x box360 iPod IPOD I Pod I-Pod i-pod shuffle photo 60 60G 60GB 1 1G 1GB xbox x box x-box 360 xbox360 x-box360 x box360 iPod IPOD I Pod I-Pod i-pod ...

sys.mac.advocacy
Hi, If you want to enter in a family website open up: http://www.familypk.com/ Its an entertainment website. Thanks ...

Rights
Hi! Connected as user x i like to know which rights user x has, related to all objects in the database and what right is needed to create a user? Greetings, Ralf Ralf Schnickmann wrote: > Hi! > > Connected as user x i like to know which rights user x has, related to all > objects in the database and what right is needed to create a user? > > Greetings, Ralf USER_SYS_PRIVS USER_TAB_PRIVS USER_TAB_PRIVS_RECD USER_COL_PRIVS USER_COL_PRIVS_RECD USER_ROLE_PRIVS -- Daniel Morgan http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp h...

Microsoft reserves the right...
Microsoft grants itself permission to alter any portion of Windows XP residing on your computer at its whim without notice... The Software contains components that enable and facilitate the use of certain Internet-based services. You acknowledge and agree that Microsoft may automatically check the version of the Software and/or its components that you are utilizing and may provide upgrades or fixes to the Software that will be automatically downloaded to your Workstation Computer ....but only if you're so lacking in intelligence you use Windows XP. -- "I wouldn&#...

Web resources about - Microsoft and rights management. right... - comp.sys.mac.advocacy

Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Management in business and organizations is the function that coordinates the efforts of people to accomplish goals and objectives using available ...

Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Management in businesses and organizations is the function that coordinates the efforts of people to accomplish goals and objectives by using ...

Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Management in business and organizations is an art that coordinates the efforts of people to accomplish goals and objectives using available ...

Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Management in business and organizations is the function that coordinates the efforts of people to accomplish goals and objectives using available ...

Two surgically amputated legs discovered at Newcastle waste management facility
Authorities were&nbsp;scrambling on Wednesday&nbsp;to find the source of two surgically amputated legs discovered dumped at the Summerhill tip. ...

Two surgically amputated legs discovered at Newcastle waste management facility
Authorities were&nbsp;scrambling on Wednesday&nbsp;to find the source of two surgically amputated legs discovered dumped at the Summerhill tip. ...

'Wasted millions': Report damns WA Health contract management
The West Australian health department has wasted millions of dollars on a mismanaged computer services contract, an auditor general's report ...

Nokia takes cognitive approach to hosted network management services
Nokia is claiming a “cognitive” approach to network management and optimization with its new AVA cloud-based platform. This stores and applies ...

Baidu proposes management buyout of iQIYI
China.org.cn Baidu proposes management buyout of iQIYI China.org.cn The concerted purchase by Li and Gong is an attempt to transform the video ...

GPT benefits from investment, funds management and development
The GPT Group, one of the leading diversified real estate investment trusts, delivered what new chief executive, Bob Johnston, called a "strong ...