Office:Mac / Intel Macs

Hi everybody.

Please forgive me if this material has been previously covered.
However, I would like to get some information from trustworthy sources,
and I think this is one place to start.

Basically, I am wondering about the performance of Office:Mac on Intel
Macs (in Rosetta).

Is it responsive?

Please let me know how it runs, with as much detail is warranted.  I'm
considering an Intel Mac, but there's no way I'm going to buy one if I
have to use my PowerPC MS Office in emulation that slogs along.

Thanks much for your help.

Brad wrote:
> Hi everybody.
>
> Please forgive me if this material has been previously covered.
> However, I would like to get some information from trustworthy sources,
> and I think this is one place to start.
>
> Basically, I am wondering about the performance of Office:Mac on Intel
> Macs (in Rosetta).
>
> Is it responsive?
>
> Please let me know how it runs, with as much detail is warranted.  I'm
> considering an Intel Mac, but there's no way I'm going to buy one if I
> have to use my PowerPC MS Office in emulation that slogs along.
>
> Thanks much for your help.

I have Office:Mac 2004 on a MacBook Pro (1.83/15"/1 Gig Ram). Word and
Excel seem to work fine, though they are a bit slower launching than
they are on my PowerMac G5/2.0 or on my iMac G5/2.0. My only complaint
is about PowerPoint. Powerpoint 2004 is much slower on both my  G5s
than PowerpointX was. This is noticeable on slide transitions when a
graphics-rich slide is being used. For this reason, I have switched to
Keynote for presentations. Since it is a Universal App, it works will
on all my Macs, and transitions are much better than Powerpoint.

HTH,
--
Dave Fritzinger
Honolulu, HI

0
dfritzin (3022)
10/9/2006 6:52:14 PM
"Brad" <bradengelmann@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everybody.
>
> Please forgive me if this material has been previously covered.
> However, I would like to get some information from trustworthy sources,
> and I think this is one place to start.
>
> Basically, I am wondering about the performance of Office:Mac on Intel
> Macs (in Rosetta).
>
> Is it responsive?
>
> Please let me know how it runs, with as much detail is warranted.  I'm
> considering an Intel Mac, but there's no way I'm going to buy one if I
> have to use my PowerPC MS Office in emulation that slogs along.

works fine, no difference from running it on a mid model PowerPC. just
run the updates and be on 10.4.8, you'll be fine.

as a general rule Rosetta works well, only heavy photoshop or
illustrator use would be a slower experience. stuff like office, not a
problem.
0
colalovesosx (1251)

To Mac or not to Mac?

When is a Mac not a Mac?

Mac to mac

Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, MacDrive 7.0.10, Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel, Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID, Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac, FXpansion GURU 1.1.280 for Mac, Roxio Popcorn
Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, MacDrive 7.0.10, Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel, Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID, Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac, FXpansion GURU 1.1.280 for Mac, Roxio Popcorn 3 for Mac, MapleSoft Maple 11.01.303882 Pro for Mac, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/10/15, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/ MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' please send e-mail to : ola 'AT' mail 'DOT' gr , ola3 'AT' mailbox 'DOT' gr , www 'DOT' 20000plusdvdsandcds 'DOT' tk , ( please substitute 'AT' with '@' , and 'DOT' with '.' ) , ola@mail.gr, ola3@mailbox.gr, www.20000plusdvdsandcds.tk --------------------------------------- 2007-10-15 MacDrive 7.0.10 Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac (1 cd) 2007-10-02 MakeMusic Finale 2008 for Mac (3 cd) 2007/10/02 Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID 1DVD 2007-10-05 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.2 for Mac ------------------------------------------------------- 2007/09/29 Autodesk Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac (1 dvd) 2007/09/25 FXpansion GURU 1.1.280 for Mac (1 dvd) 2007/09/14 Sorenson Squeeze Compression Suite 4.5.3 for Mac 2007/09/09 Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel (1 dvd) MapleSoft Maple 11.01.303882 Pro for Mac (1 cd) Roxio Popcorn 3 for Mac (1 cd) Vertus Fluid Mask 3.0.1 for Mac -------------------------------...

[...]

Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, MacDrive 7.0.10, Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel, Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID, Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac, FXpansion GURU 1.1.280 for Mac, Roxio P #2
Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, MacDrive 7.0.10, Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel, Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID, Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac, FXpansion GURU 1.1.280 for Mac, Roxio Popcorn 3 for Mac, MapleSoft Maple 11.01.303882 Pro for Mac, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/10/15, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/ MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' please send e-mail to : ola 'AT' mail 'DOT' gr , ola3 'AT' mailbox 'DOT' gr ...

Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, MacDrive 7.0.10, Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel, VIENNA INSTRUMENTS VIENNA SYMPHONIC LIBRARIES, Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID, Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac
Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, MacDrive 7.0.10, Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel, VIENNA INSTRUMENTS VIENNA SYMPHONIC LIBRARIES, Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID, Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac, FXpansion GURU 1.1.280 for Mac, Roxio Popcorn 3 for Mac, MapleSoft Maple 11.01.303882 Pro for Mac, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/10/15, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' please send e-mail to : ola 'AT' mail 'DOT...

Help! iSync mac to mac

Anyone got Mac classic Mac emulation running well on their Intel Mac?
Despite switching to DOSBox and VMware's Fusion with WinXP to handle my classic gaming needs, there are still a bunch of classic MacOS games I'm desperate to run on my Intel Mac. I've tried and failed to get Ballisk and SheepShaver running. Mini vMac runs but has a nasty, nasty habbit of corrupting disk images opened in both it and OSX. *sigh* Has anyone had any sucess? Why is classic Mac emulation so way behind other emulation efforts? With Amiga emulation running it's surprising classic Mac emulation is so far behind :-( TIA, Jamie Kahn Genet -- If you&...

bmp-mac, mac and xmms-mac ports
Hello, I can't find these in the ports collections, so i've downloaded and compiled mac and xmms-mac successfully and have confirmed that they work on FreeBSD. I was looking for an APE (Monkey Audio) plug-in for XMMS in the ports collection but wasn't able to find one. I had a bit of trouble with compiling xmms-mac to start off with. The compilation would fail with the following: g++ -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/X11R6/include/xmms -I/usr/local/include/gtk12 -I/usr/local/include/glib12 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -s -O3 -Wall -pedantic -DBUILD_CROSS_PLATFORM -g -O2 -o fileinfo fileinfo.o -Wl,-E -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -lgtk-12 -lgdk-12 -lgmodule-12 -lglib-12 /usr/local/lib/libintl.so /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm -lxmms /usr/lib/libmac.so -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/libgthread-12.so.3: undefined reference to `pthread_cond_timedwait' *** Error code 1 Stop in /usr/home/net147/xmms-mac-0.3.1/src. *** Error code 1 Stop in /usr/home/net147/xmms-mac-0.3.1. *** Error code 1 Stop in /usr/home/net147/xmms-mac-0.3.1. However i've managed to fix this by deleting the extracts files, re-extracting the files again, adding -lpthread to the configure.in file and then running autoconf to regenerate the configure script before compiling. # diff starts here --- configure.in.old Sun Dec 10 14:24:01 2006 +++ configure.in Sun Dec 10 14:24:...

It's a Mac, Mac, Mac World
I wonder how the Windows users would like my (ab)normal Microsoft-free world: My business: all Mac, no PCs. My dentist, family physician and urologist are all Mac. No PCs. Went to Sir Speedy today for more bus. cards and some binding: all Mac (no surprise there). My daughter's three new college room mates have emailed her. Two have PowerBooks and one has an eMac. (She has a G5 iMac.) I never even see a PC unless I am at the public library or a store using a Windows POS unit. It never was intentional. I don't scout a place to see what frickin' computer they use. Jus...

Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, MacDrive 7.0.10, Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel, VIENNA INSTRUMENTS VIENNA SYMPHONIC LIBRARIES, Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID, Maya Unlimited 2008 f
Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, MacDrive 7.0.10, Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel, VIENNA INSTRUMENTS VIENNA SYMPHONIC LIBRARIES, Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID, Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac, FXpansion GURU 1.1.280 for Mac, Roxio Popcorn 3 for Mac, MapleSoft Maple 11.01.303882 Pro for Mac, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/10/15, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' please send e-mail to : ola 'AT' mail 'DOT' gr...

MAC to MAC connectivity
Hi, As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting a number of FPGA based MACs to a dedicated broadcom switch chip. The difficulty with this is that to interface both chips, I need to have two closely coupled and redundant PHY . Is it possible to connect two MAC (SGMII) directly point-to-point, bypassing the PHY completely? Or is it necessary to have at least some PHY functionality, even if it is a point to point link? Kind regards, Stephen Steve wrote: > Hi, > > As part of a design that I'm investigating, I am looking at connecting > a number...

Mac Miail on .mac
I have my own domain name. Is there a way to get msil under .mac to set this as the reply to address. It seems that I am forced to use the @mac address but I could well be missing something. Thanks Colin Countryman wrote: > I have my own domain name. Is there a way to get msil under .mac to set this > as the reply to address. It seems that I am forced to use the @mac address > but I could well be missing something. > > Thanks > Colin Open a new Mail message - press Command-Alt-R to display the Reply-To field. Chu -- chuenginsberg at mac dot com On Sun, 21 Jan 2...

MAC to MAC over Internet
Hi All, First I will tell you that I am not a MAC user or owner so please be patient :) I have a friend who runs a small business and they have two MAC computers in the office that are networked together and share files. The main MAC has approx 20,000 files that they share and update. One of the people will be moving away and they want to be able to connect over the Internet to the main MAC and share the files just like they do in the office today. They need to be able to have the master files on the main MAC in the office and allow the other person to easily access and update the master ...

When is a Mac no longer a Mac?
OK, so Apple's going to go to Intel CPUs. Now Macs are no longer differentiated by a slow clock and superior instruction set--we've got the same hackjob clusterfuck on speed PCs have been using for decades now. And over the last few years Apple's gone away from SCSI, NuBus, ADB, Localtalk, etc. And PCs have picked up USB, dropped floppies, and colored their cases. The hardware's basically merging between the two platforms. On the software side, the classic MacOS is gone, replaced by Unixy stuff. And like it or not, higher up on the UI level lots of Windows-li...

Mac-to-Mac VPN?
Years ago, I set up a Mac network (under OS9) with a VPN router and some software on a remote PowerBook that allowed VPN access. I'm not terribly familiar with OSX yet, but I understand that much of this functionality is now built in. Can anybody steer me in the right direction as far as hardware, software and configuration? Here's the setup I envision: - Small LAN running two Macs and a printer with a DSL connection through a router. - Remote PowerBook connected to the net varyingly with dial-up, DSL (wired), and AirPort. - Use the PowerBook to securely connect to at l...

Mac to MAc Firewire
Hey all Looking for some help. I am trying to use a 6-6pin 1394 cable to connect two iBooks together and transfer some large files. iBook 1 dual USB 'white' iBook OS 9.2 iBook 2 G4 OSx 10.2 I boot iBook 1 into 'target drive' mode and get the firewire icon dancing about the screen then connect it to iBook 2 but the drive does not appear on the desktop. I have tried all combinations of rebooting/ connecting before and after rebooting but nothing seams to work. When the firewire is plugged in the target disk makes a short noise then nothing the host does not appear to react at ...

networking mac to mac???
Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network a ibook running os.9??? possibly to a new imac running osx 5wak <rosscoism@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, Can someone out there tell me the best (easy) way to network a > ibook running os.9??? possibly to a new imac running osx Put an ethernet cable between them, enable tcp/ip and file sharing on one and log on from the other, seems to be what you are asking for? And you do not need a cross-over cable between modern Macs. -- /Jon For contact info, run the following in Terminal: echo 361993718603049801070734...

mac to mac connection
Hi, PBG3 400 OS 10.3 I connect a crossover cable between my PB, and other macs running OS9, and can not mount see the other mac on my PB. Have followed the Help, but must be doing something wrong somewhere. I can however see/connect to my PB from the peripheral mac via the Chooser. I have not been able to connect to windoze machines either, but maybe that will rsolve if I can get mac to mac sharing happening. Can someone suggest what I may be overlooking or a relevant site... ? thanks indeed Chris Brown Neurosurgery University of Adelaide In article <400da705$1@yorrell.saard.net>, Chris Brown <cbrown@medicine.adelaide.edu.au> wrote: > Hi, > > > PBG3 400 OS 10.3 > > I connect a crossover cable between my PB, and other macs running OS9, > and can not mount see the other mac on my PB. Have followed the Help, > but must be doing something wrong somewhere. I can however see/connect > to my PB from the peripheral mac via the Chooser. > > I have not been able to connect to windoze machines either, but maybe > that will rsolve if I can get mac to mac sharing happening. > > Can someone suggest what I may be overlooking or a relevant site... ? > > > thanks indeed > > Chris Brown > Neurosurgery > University of Adelaide > Chris, things won't necessarily connect automagically. First, you have to turn on "File Sharing" on both machines. If you have an OS 9 box, when y...

Mac supporters and MS Office for Mac???
I'm curious to know how many of you how are hard core Mac people use MS Office for Mac? Do you have trouble reconciling these two "loyalties"? If you aren't what do you use? Is what you are using just as ood as MSO? Better? Why? I ask these questions because one of my main issues with wintel machines is Micrsoft itself. I do not like Bill Gates and they way he does business. I'd like to break free, but I suffer in silence at work because we can't go Mac. -- "The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. It is our number one priority and w...

Poll (Intel Macs, PowerPC Macs)
For the following assume that Intel-based Macs come out this time next year or earlier. 1. Will you buy an Intel-based Mac immidiately, just to have one and check it out and be prepared? 2. Will you buy an Intel-based Mac instead of a PowerPC-based Mac when it is time to replace the current Mac you use? 3. Will you buy a PowerPC-based Mac when it is time to replace the current Mac you use? 4. Will you use one kind of Mac for a notebook and another for a desktop? -- Andrew J. Brehm Marx Brothers Fan PowerPC/Macintosh User Supporter of Chicken Sandwiches 5. I will load OS X and dual boot...

PPC Macs better than Intel Macs.
That is truly sad, The obsolete model is better than the brand new technology. Why do these fools keep buying? In article <8jYom.201124$vp.26634@newsfe12.iad>, "Jimmyjohn" <igwif@verizon.com> wrote: > That is truly sad, The obsolete model is better than the brand new > technology. Why do these fools keep buying? It was inevitable that Apple's switch to Intel would, sooner or later, drive the trolls to insisting that PPC processors were better. Despite the fact that they spent years arguing against this when Apple was using them, of course. -- "The game of professional investment is intolerably boring and over-exacting to anyone who is entirely exempt from the gambling instinct; whilst he who has it must pay to this propensity the appropriate toll." -- John Maynard Keynes "ZnU" <znu@fake.invalid> wrote in message news:znu-EF9B57.12001407092009@Port80.Individual.NET... > In article <8jYom.201124$vp.26634@newsfe12.iad>, > "Jimmyjohn" <igwif@verizon.com> wrote: > >> That is truly sad, The obsolete model is better than the brand new >> technology. Why do these fools keep buying? > > It was inevitable that Apple's switch to Intel would, sooner or later, > drive the trolls to insisting that PPC processors were better. Despite > the fact that they spent years arguing against this when Apple was using > them, of course. Well JO, Fa-groon a...

Web resources about - Office:Mac / Intel Macs - comp.sys.mac.advocacy