Possible Microsoft sabotage of XP

Interesting thread in another group:�

> >"<snip> wrote in message
> > How do you feel
> >> ...about the idea that microsoft is using the update
> >> mechanism for windows xp to sabotage the older operating
> >> system in order to drive sales of vista?

Someone else replied

> >Microsoft can't be trusted so I wouldn't be surprised. I was reading
> about
> >Palladium the other day and Billy reckoned he could install it on
> computers
> >through updates alone in one year.
> >I never updated Win 98 and 98SE and had a good run out of it. I have
> also
> >never updated XPee apart from SP1 and I never have trouble with XPee
> either.
> >Young Bill will have to do something about Vista because nobody seems
> to be
> >very interested in it or in buying a ballsy computer to run it.

A third person added

> I haven't had any problems from getting updates for xp but wouldn't be
> surprised if MS did cause a few problems to generate sales of vista.
> The fact is that xp works just fine, and I don't need vista. If
> something
> starts screwing up on my puter I'll just load an acronis backup image
> and never get another update from MS again
gamma (31)
1/27/2007 3:29:51 AM
comp.sys.mac.advocacy 33736 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Is strong AI possible?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computational_theory_of_mind The key question is: What would be the undetectable difference between an actual living mind and a perfect simulation of a living mind? The distinction between an actual living mind and a perfect simulation of an actual living mind might be divided by how one defines consciousness. If consciousness is defined as having a will of one's own, then the AI mind (with a sufficiently populated goal hierarchy) might be considered to be equivalent to a living mind. Although it may still be gears and pulleys on the inside, o...

MPICH and XP Windows Programs
Using guiMPIRun: 1) I am running XP Pro and MPICH seems to installed OK as evidenced by the fact that I can run eg. cpi.exe with mpd in both noninteractive and interactive mode. 2) If I restart mpd in interactive mode and try to run mandel.exe I get an area on the screen that seems to be a window but nothing is drawn there. There are no icons pictures etc. Not uning guiMPIrun 3) If I run it in localonly mode from a console, everthing seems to be OK. e.g. mpirun -np 2 -localonly mandel.exe The problem seems to be that MPICH under XP is unable to cope with programs that use a GUI unless it i...

Microsoft + NSA = back door
For Windows Vista Security, Microsoft Called in Pros By Alec Klein and Ellen Nakashima Washington Post Staff Writers Tuesday, January 9, 2007; Page D01 When Microsoft introduces its long-awaited Windows Vista operating system this month, it will have an unlikely partner to thank for making its flagship product safe and secure for millions of computer users across the world: the National Security Agency. Link http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/08/AR2007010801352.html It is irony that M$ is pushing security as a top reason to push the masses to upgrade to Vista and ...

[News] [OSS] Open Source Estabilshes Consensus, Microsoft Comes to Destroy It
The mysterious force driving open source ,----[ Quote ] | A consensus supports Windows and Office as desktop standards, but | because these are proprietary and Microsoft always seeks to extend | them (as with its recent XML implementation) the market benefits of | this consensus are subject to debate. | | [...] | | But consensus, as a force, is not going away. Its power is only | going to grow. And this, as much as anything else, will continue | driving open source forward. `---- http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1059 Consensus is the real inconvenient truth ,----[ Quote ] | The same...

MicroSoft's future plans
Microsoft, in middle age, to go beyond the PC GENEVA, Oct. 12 - When Bill Gates, the chairman of Microsoft, gives his keynote address on Monday at the international exhibition here he plans to show off some of the company's latest technology - software that powers mobile phones, online game machines and television services. Those areas are crucial to the company's long-term strategy. And so the industry is watching to see whether Microsoft can be innovative enough to compete effectively in software platforms beyond the personal computer. The goal is to provide softwar...

Possible problem with iterators in STL
Hi everyone I have a problem with Iterators and containers in STL that hopefully someone can help me with. This is what I try to do: I have an associative (map) container and I have a function where I with the help of iterators want to search through the container and remove a certain object in the container. Here is part of the code in that function: //Move from timers map container to stale list container Timers::iterator start(_timers.begin()); Timers::iterator last(_timers.end()); while (start != last) { if(compObj.Compare(start->second)) { _stale.p...

is it possible?
The seller of the CD-ROM drive that I claimed was broken, because it did not work, although the drive sled was good, has claimed that the CD-ROM drive works. He did not have a 6360 to test. I have a Performa 6360 and the Apple 24X drive slid right into my Mac, the drive sled was good. I did not touch any of the jumpers or anything. I am wondering if any of you think its at all possible that something inside my Macintosh may be broken and the reason why I could not get the internal CD-ROM drive to work on my Mac? Or maybe perhaps the jumpers on the back of the drive were set for his ...

Treo 650 ppp connection in the US . Possible ?
Hi, I know this works in the Europe via GSM data connection - I do this from my Tungsten T. However I'm trying to help a friend in the US configure his Treo 650 to access his corporate email via IMAP. He needs to dial into the companies intranet as the IMAP4 servers are inside the firewall. Q: He seems to be having problems, and I have never actually tried this config outside Europe. Is it possible to make a ppp connection from a Treo 650 in the US ? I don't mean a GPRS connection but a good old 14.4K dialup data connection ? Maybe he needs to ask his providor to enable...

Is it possible? #2
It is really a matter of disappointment that i'm not being able to create an executable Matlab file... Is it possible that i could run an m.file in a machine where Matlab is not installed? if possible then help me immediately! i must be greatful to you! Hi, This is possible, you need the toolbox "MATLAB Compiler" Then see help about the function "mcc" that will help you doing an executable file. Once your exe file built, you must First install a package on the machine that weit about 80Mo... regards, chris "Tapon Paul" <hemt_82@yaho...

Why is this not possible?
#!/bin/sh # this doesn't work in bash: # # usage: $1 is body of function, use inline # if it worked it would make it possible to simulate an anonymous function inline function lambda { name=tmp$(perl -e "print rand()*(2**50);") # make up unique function name $("function $name { $1 }") echo $name } # this works # shell can do callbacks, but unfortunately no anonymous functions # usage: function funa { ... }; function funb { ... }; percent funa funb function percent { fun1=$1 fun2=$2 echo $(echo "scale=2;"$($fun1)" / "$($fun2)" ...

Message save fails in Windows XP "not a MBX-format folder"
I've been struggling to get Alpine v2.0 working on XP Home for several days. It will log in to my pop 3 a/c and download mails ok, but when I try to save them I get the above error message. This is inspite of the fact that Alpine has created the savemail file itself, so I'm pretty sure it is an MBX format file. But I created the folder. I'm obviously missing something, but it has me beat. I wondered it it might be something to do with the NTFS file system, so tried creating the mailbox on a fat32 drive. Still no luck On Sep 3, 10:27 am, mainwar...@yourserve.co.uk wrote: > I&#...

Bug in Turbo Grep 5.5 and Windows 2000/XP?
I'm using Turbo Grep 5.5 from Delphi 7. The '^' "match anything but" operator doesn't appear to be working when used with Windows 2000 or XP. My test file is: 1be 2ab 3eb And I want to search for lines where 'b' or 'e' is not the second character and 'b' or 'e' is the third character. The command which should do this, and which *works fine in Windows 98*, is "grep -i [0-9][^be][be] test". However in Windows 2000 and XP I get the following output: C:\TEMP>grep -i [0-9][^be][be] test File test: 1be 3eb...

its possible this?
If I have a graph and i put: ginput I take a point of the graph. It is possible to print the points while the user is above those points with this command, but without clicking, so the user will know exactly where do he wants to click and can do it??? THANKS Irinic wrote: > > > If I have a graph and i put: ginput > I take a point of the graph. > It is possible to print the points while the user is above those > points with this command, but without clicking, so the user will > know exactly where do he wants to click and can do it??? > > THANKS > u can use the &...

SDIO WiFi on XP Desktop
I'm researching Wifi on SDIO on a XP Desktop. I bought a C-Guys SDIO Wifi adapter. Then I bought a USB and CardBus SD Reader/Writers. The problem is that USB and CardBus Reader/Writers both treat the SDIO Wifi adapter as if it was a storage device. Anyway, does anybody know of a generic SDIO bridge I can buy for a PC? Thanks, ((&-> You need a PCI to SDIO adapter, like this one http://www.arasan.com/sdio_pci_host.pdf Actually it is the only one I could find. --PA "QuasiCodo" <NoBody@NoCompany.NONE> wrote in message news:OH2Se.7217$ZL4.4...

[News] [Rival] Vista 7 Student Edition is Seriously Broken, Microsoft Admits Problem

Rotating label text in A97? Is it possible?
I see in A97 HELP that rotating text in charts is possible. What about labels on forms and reports? See if Stephen Lebans's solution will help. http://www.lebans.com/xrotatetext.htm -- Wayne Morgan MS Access MVP "MLH" <CRCI@NorthState.net> wrote in message news:en71j1lqn0eid9fn8gb0le9f89leg2dsbj@4ax.com... >I see in A97 HELP that rotating text in charts > is possible. What about labels on forms and > reports? ...

Possible Lavasoft Ad-Aware false positive?
Hi everyone, Since yesterday, a scan using Ad-Aware warns me of a SpywareNo infection. Nevertheless, other antispyware programs such as microsoft antispyware, spybot s&d and ewido dont pick up any traces of this infection. Also, searching the web and looking at the possible symptoms of that infection, there are none of those mentioned in my laptop. No process spywareno.exe, no similar files, no pop ups. This is what the adaware scan gives: SPYWARENO =BB=BB=BB=BB=BB=BB=BB=BB=BB=BB=BB=BB=BB=BB=BB=BB=BB=BB=BB=BB=BB=BB=BB=BB=BB= =BB=BB=BB=BB=BB=BB=BB=BB=BB=BB=BB=BB=BB obj[0]=3DRegk...

Good News Mr flood microsoft.public.jp.dotnet.general #2
Cox and Telus will not act unless they have a police file number so you may as well flood microsoft.public.jp.dotnet.general my home Usenet group. have a nice day.Me I am nearing about TrueCrype -- Plenty of seconds will be afraid efficient composers. -- Michael Yardley ...

Possible to synchronise changed message headers?
Is this possible? * User synchronises their emails * Server changes message headers, eg. subject * Server pushes changes to connected email client (or updates on next resynchronisation) Obviously this change may affect message sorting, mail filters, etc., which would also need to be updated. Cheers, Jon Jonathan Melhuish wrote: > Is this possible? > > * User synchronises their emails > * Server changes message headers, eg. subject > * Server pushes changes to connected email client (or updates on next > resynchronisation) RFC3501 doesn't seem too friendly...

"Searching for a Windows desktop killer"
Probably old news by now, but CNN is reporting this in http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/01/22/linux.desktop.reut/index.html Unfortunately, apparently, there's the second paragraph: [begin excerpt] NEW YORK (Reuters) -- As never before, corporate customers are turning to Linux software instead of Microsoft Windows to run big business operations. Now, if only they could get the word processor's basic "cut and paste" feature to work. At the LinuxWorld trade show here this week, advocates said the next big challenge for the loose-knit "free software" movement is...

[OT] Microsoft loosens restrictions on Vista
Microsoft today expanded its virtual machine rules for Windows Vista in a way that will match similar competition from Linux and Mac OS X, based on changes to its end-user agreement. While having previously allowed only Vista Business or Ultimate software to run within a virtual environment, the update allows a "licensed device" to run both Vista Home Basic and Home Premium versions inside of such code, regardless of the actual operating system. The license bars the use of Microsoft-made digital rights management (DRM) such as protected Windows Media inside the environment bu...

Microsoft & Netbooks -- collusion
So much for Microsoft winning in the "open" market... From www.Groklaw.net... ~~ Linux on Netbooks: The Smoking Gun Later, at a press conference sponsored by TAITRA, the Taiwan trade authority, I asked executive director Walter Yeh about where the Linux went. He passed the question to Li Chang, vice president of the Taipei Computer Association. Chang mentioned a press conference yesterday where Google announced an Android phone to be made by Acer. But then he put it to me straight. �In our association we operate as a consortium, like the open source consortium. They want ...

Possible VISA-conflict between Agilent and NI-VISA?
We are making a program i labVIEW, using an oscilloscope (Tektronix TDS 2014), a signal generator (Agilent HP33120A) and a USB/GPIB-interface (Agilent 82357). When we use the Agilent VISA as primary VISA, the oscilloscope works just fine, but the signal generator won't work - neither connected with RS-232 nor with USB/GPIB. We usually get an instrument spesific error (-108: bad parameter) after running "config waveform.vi". At first we used the NI-VISA as primary VISA and an old AT/GBIB-card (1990). This was working allright, but we would rather like to use the USB/GPIB, but we c...

What is the smallest physically-possible voltage that can be detected or processed given the state of today's technology?
Hi: What is the smallest physically-possible voltage that can be detected or processed given the state of today's technology? Thanks On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 17:15:19 -0700 (PDT), GreenXenon <glucegen1x@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi: > >What is the smallest physically-possible voltage that can be detected >or processed given the state of today's technology? > > >Thanks You can buy nanovoltmeters that will resolve a couple of hundred picovolts, if you're careful. Superconductive SQUID detectors can measure a picovolt. Single-electron transistors can sense, well,...

Possibly off topic, possibly not
Is there a good tutorial on programming with ODBC/wxODBC? I'm fairly familiar with SQL and wxWindows, but I can't find any ODBC programming references out there, and the wxODBC (wxDb, wxDbTable and friends) topic in the documentation doesn't quite tell me how to do the programming. The project is basicly this: C++ program (written in wxWindows) talks to MySQL database. The program is going to be hosted on Win32 systems, while the MySQL database will be on Slackware Linux 9.1. I'll be using the latest wxWindows library. Compilers, if it's needed, are Visua...