Possible Microsoft sabotage of XP

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Interesting thread in another group:�

> >"<snip> wrote in message
> > How do you feel
> >> ...about the idea that microsoft is using the update
> >> mechanism for windows xp to sabotage the older operating
> >> system in order to drive sales of vista?

Someone else replied

> >Microsoft can't be trusted so I wouldn't be surprised. I was reading
> about
> >Palladium the other day and Billy reckoned he could install it on
> computers
> >through updates alone in one year.
> >I never updated Win 98 and 98SE and had a good run out of it. I have
> also
> >never updated XPee apart from SP1 and I never have trouble with XPee
> either.
> >Young Bill will have to do something about Vista because nobody seems
> to be
> >very interested in it or in buying a ballsy computer to run it.

A third person added

> I haven't had any problems from getting updates for xp but wouldn't be
> surprised if MS did cause a few problems to generate sales of vista.
> The fact is that xp works just fine, and I don't need vista. If
> something
> starts screwing up on my puter I'll just load an acronis backup image
> and never get another update from MS again
0
Reply gamma (31) 1/27/2007 3:29:51 AM

See related articles to this posting

comp.sys.mac.advocacy 33176 articles. 2 followers. Post

Windows-XP program sabotaged by MICROSOFT?
Hi, I thought I was running a legitimate version of Win XP PRO (pruchased on the internet) but now I am having my doubts. Someone told me that Microsoft has sabotaged any system that it believes is not legit but sending out false update packets that eventually cause the system to crash. If someone knows more about this, please tell me. Sincerely, joe PS>>> please send all correspondence to the following email address>>>> lift@lift985.com THANKS!!! I dont think so...... "joshzz" <joebur@jersey....

Finally, you can afford software by XP XP & Microsoft

Someone with experience of XP and At Guard (or possibly XP Pro and NIS?) needed
Does anyone know how I can transfer AtGuard (also knows as Norton Internet Security) settings which I have laboriously built up over three years from Windows 2000 to XP Professional? To transfer in the past from one computer to another, I have merely gone to the software part of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, looking for the WRQ folder, backing up that key to a floppy by pressing SAVE KEY and then simply put that floppy in the XP machine double-clicked on that REG file? It SHOULD ask if I want to import the key into the OS registry I may have backed up the wrong setting as doing this just gives me an...

[News] GNU/Linux Faster Than XP; Microsoft Gives Up on Compatibility in XP SP3
Does a Linux OS perform better than a Windows ? ,----[ Quote ] | Linux not only is more secure but at times cuts down on many irrelavant | applications and cookie downloads. `---- http://www.itvoir.com/portal/boxx/knowledgebase.asp?iid=668&Cat=23 Microsoft warns of IE7 lock-in with XP SP3 ,----[ Quote ] | The warning first appeared in a post Monday to a company blog written by the | Internet Explorer (IE) development team. Microsoft released Windows XP SP3 to | Windows Update as an optional download Tuesday. `---- http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticl...

[News] [Rival] Microsoft/MSN Press Attacks Vista, Microsoft Trashes XP

[News] China to Scrutinise Possible Yahoo-Microsoft Tieup, Yahoos Reject Microsoft
China's Alibaba ponders Microsoft's Yahoo bid-WSJ ,----[ Quote ] | Alibaba Group, the Chinese Internet company part-owned by Yahoo Inc, has | hired advisers to evaluate issues related to a possible purchase of its U.S. | partner by Microsoft Corp after the Chinese government said it would | scrutinize the deal, the Wall Street Journal said Friday. `---- http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idCNTN1559272320080216?rpc=44 Much ado about Yahoo ,----[ Quote ] | I keep hearing reports about how staffers on the Yahoo campus are all | depressed. Nobody wants to work for Micros...

Microsoft XP counter killer-app doesn't work on XP
To support Microsoft's "Retiring Windows XP" campaign: http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/springboard/archive/2011/07/11/with-only-1000-days-left-of-extended-support-don-t-you-think-it-s-time-to-retire-windows-xp.aspx http://tinyurl.com/6klzeqw Vole released a "brilliant" killer-app� to the public, called the "Windows XP End of Support Countdown Gadget". https://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=11662 http://tinyurl.com/66hdrs8 The goal of this Countdown Gadget is to remind people when Windows XP reaches End Of Life. The only problem is....

[News] [Rival] Possible Microsoft Proxy: Microsoft Can't Compete Without Yahoo!

[News] [Rival] Microsoft Press Talks About Microsoft's Very Bad Results, More Possible Layoffs

microsoft news: 50% of enterprise users still use XP. Microsoft: Businesses will not use windows 8.
An entire enterprise cycle binned in Metro madness http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2012/06/07/win8_enterprise_yesno/ Analysis Like Thelma and Louise, executives at Microsoft's Windows division have no doubts about which direction they want to point the car. It's pedal to the floor, and over the cliff as fast as they can drive. Last week the latest Windows 8 public preview confirmed what many had expected and feared: there will be no compromise on the schizophrenic user interface behaviour Microsoft is forcing on users. As I wrote in March, the problem isn't the...

Is it possible to pass Certification Exams without proper training? Yes now its possible, this site will help you to download all guides and latest exam material for CISCO, MICROSOFT, ORACLE, CO
Is it possible to pass Certification Exams without proper training? Yes now its possible, this site will help you to download all guides and latest exam material for CISCO, MICROSOFT, ORACLE, COMPTIA, LINUX. I received many e-mail from visitor about this site and to feel happy because this one can help you pass your certification exams very easily. Visit http://allexamskit.com/ ...

In WIN XP, is it possible to...
Is it possible to automaticlly select a defualt print based on what network you are connected to? Is it possible to have a different defualt printer if you are printing something with color? Thanks Bruce "Bruce" <Newsgroups@No.SPAM.johnsonclan.com> wrote in message news:2JKdnfBsyK5Y1lTZnZ2dnUVZ_v2dnZ2d@giganews.com... > Is it possible to automaticlly select a defualt print based on what > network you are connected to? You have to log off XP and then log back on with a user profile specific to the network you are logging onto. That user profile can...

Is this possible with XP Pro?
I want to set up a user account on my computer and allow the user to ONLY use the web browser and Outlook Express. I want all access to other programs on the start menu to be gone. Also, I don't want this user to be able to get to "my computer" and "see" any of the other folders on the computer except maybe "my documents". Thanks, Wr Nobodyzhome wrote: > I want to set up a user account on my computer and allow the user to ONLY > use the web browser and Outlook Express. I want all access to other > programs on the start menu to be...

WTB: MICROSOFT WINDOWS VISTA, XP PRO, WIN2K PRO, HOME, 98SE, 98, 95, NT 4.0, OFFICE, SERVER INCLUDES MICROSOFT, DELL, COMPAQ, IBM, HP OR ANY OTHER OEM PACKAGES.
WTB: MICROSOFT WINDOWS VISTA, XP PRO, WIN2K PRO, HOME, 98SE, 98, 95, NT 4.0, OFFICE, SERVER INCLUDES MICROSOFT, DELL, COMPAQ, IBM, HP OR ANY OTHER OEM PACKAGES. WE ARE BUYING QUANTITIES OF MICROSOFT WINDOWS, OFFICE, SERVER, NT "OEM PACKS OR RETAIL BOXES" WE ARE BUYING WINDOWS VISTA, XP PRO, WIN2K PRO, HOME, 98SE, 98, 95, NT 4.0, OFFICE, SERVER INCLUDES MICROSOFT, DELL, COMPAQ, IBM, HP OR ANY OTHER OEM PACKAGES Email BUYONET@HOTMAIL.COM with what you have. WE BUY MICROSOFT OFFICE 95, 97, 2000, XP, 2003, 2007 SBE, Standard, PRO. WE BUY MICROSOFT WINDOWS 98, 98SE, 2KPRO, XP PRO, ...

Help please: XP to XP and XP to WIN2000
Montana pleading........... In both cases I am hardwired via router to two computers. One setup is XP Pro to XP-Home and in one setup I am XP Pro to WIN2K. I have run my network setup wizard and shared drives on both computers in both situations. I cannot see my other computer in either case so I must have missed something I am supposed to do. So I need a little help.....and leave it up to you...... LOL! And I thank you! On Apr 13, 9:56 pm, "dumbneasy" <dumbne...@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > Montana pleading........... > > In both cases I am...

DeEspona 3D Models Encyclopedia for 3DSMAX [10 cdS], Discreet 3d Studio MAX v5.1.2.42 SP1 Multi, Microsoft Works Suite 2004 [5 cdS], Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004, IBM LOTUS DOMINO
DeEspona 3D Models Encyclopedia for 3DSMAX [10 cdS], Discreet 3d Studio MAX v5.1.2.42 SP1 Multi, Microsoft Works Suite 2004 [5 cdS], Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004, IBM LOTUS DOMINO SERVER V6.5, SageLine50.v10.0, DP.TECH ESPRIT V2003, MASTERCAM V9.1 SP2, ROBOGUIDE V2.3.1, 03/Oct/2003 (031003) ---------------------------------- B PC> Applications = 46 CDs - ------------------------------------ B01 Lynda.com Learning Macromedia Flash MX 2004 [2 CDs] B02 MASTERCAM V9.1 SP2 B03 IBM WebSphere Business Integration Connect Express 4.2 B04 IBM Tivoli Provisioning Mana...

[...]

[News] Microsoft Sabotages Firefox Again

Microsoft delays XP-SP2 -- again!
http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-22_11-5265612.html?tag=e019 "The company gave no reasons for new delay. Last month, a number of Windows enthusiast Web sites reported that Microsoft had run into compatibility problems between SP2 and other software." .... "Work on Service Pack 2 has consumed a far greater amount of resources than the software maker originally intended. Company executives have said that work on SP2 required the company to pull engineers off of Longhorn, the next major release of Windows, which is expected in 2006." On 2004-07-12, John <nospam@127.0.0...

Microsoft Sabotage Linux Adoption
http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/18/2036220&tid=109&tid=106 "Outspoken IT consultant John H. Terpstra believes that Microsoft and electronics manufacturers are working together to hinder the adoption of Linux on the desktop. In a three part series, he tells a story about how two guys trying to buy Linux desktops found they were overpriced, and lacked certain tools. He then describes how Microsoft uses its considerable resources and the law to create such roadblocks." http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1134910,00.htm In th...

Is Microsoft *still* selling XP ?
Are Microsoft still selling a eight year old OS because they have nothing better for netbooks, laptops and some desktop PCs ? I thought XP was end-of-lifed ? begin{quote} Windows XP Users Must Update Flash Now Linked by Thom Holwerda on Wed 13th Jan 2010 23:47 UTC "Microsoft has confirmed that the version of Adobe Flash bundled with Windows XP contains multiple bugs, and urged customers to upgrade to a newer edition of the multimedia player plug-in. In a security advisory issued alongside a one-patch update for the month, Microsoft acknowledged that Flash Player 6 contains nume...

Microsoft Office XP Developer
Hi Can anyone please help with the following : I am trying to package an access app, I have installed Microsoft Office XP Developer and loaded the relevant add-ins. From within my app.mdb file I can package the system, but when I try Use the packaging wizard from my start menu I get the following error after clicking next on the Application Information I get an error titled : SWStub: SWStub.exe - Application Error Has anyone seen this and if so what has caused it, and how can it be resolved ? TIA Steve Not worry I found the solution - make the setup using the mdb, rename it to pkg.mde....

Microsoft Uncertain About WinFS for XP
<http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/03/10/007222&tid=201&tid=218> Ant writes "As a follow-up to WinFS to be available in WinXP story from a few days ago, BetaNews reports that Microsoft (MS) stopped short of confirming reports that it plans to back-port its next-generation WinFS file system architecture to Windows XP. MS tells BetaNews it is only evaluating the move while also acknowledging WinFS is still years off. "We are currently evaluating making the WinFS storage subsystem available on this platform and will make the decision...