f



Register article - "Microsoft's 'record' quarter can't match Apple

Nice article on Microsoft being supplanted by Apple for second place in 
S&P's list of largest companies for market capitalisation. Says it all, 
very eloquently.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/23/microsoft_third_quarter/

So shall we have a minute's silence for Microsoft? Nah: I prefer 
Muttley-style snickering: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZm47SrmuwM


Ian.
-- 
Ian Piper
--�

0
Ian
4/26/2010 8:58:06 AM
comp.sys.mac.advocacy 34242 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

17 Replies
862 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 27

On 4/26/10 1:58 AM, Ian Piper wrote:
> Nice article on Microsoft being supplanted by Apple for second place in
> S&P's list of largest companies for market capitalisation. Says it all,
> very eloquently.
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/23/microsoft_third_quarter/
>
> So shall we have a minute's silence for Microsoft?

Hmmm...Didn't Microsoft announce higher sales AND profits than Apple?

Steve
0
Steve
4/27/2010 9:37:12 AM
On Apr 27, 5:37=A0am, Steve de Mena <st...@stevedemena.com> wrote:
> On 4/26/10 1:58 AM, Ian Piper wrote:
>
> > Nice article on Microsoft being supplanted by Apple for second place in
> > S&P's list of largest companies for market capitalisation. Says it all,
> > very eloquently.
>
> >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/23/microsoft_third_quarter/
>
> > So shall we have a minute's silence for Microsoft?
>
> Hmmm...Didn't Microsoft announce higher sales AND profits than Apple?
>
> Steve

Yes, but reading is fundamental.  MS's saw a 30% increase year over
year, Apple saw a 90% increase year over year.

Apple's revenue and profit were less than $1 billion less than
Microsoft -- compare that to only 5 years ago.  MS is stagnant, Apple
is still growing.
0
KDT
4/27/2010 10:21:11 AM
On Apr 27, 6:21=A0am, KDT <scarface...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Apr 27, 5:37=A0am, Steve de Mena <st...@stevedemena.com> wrote:
>
> > On 4/26/10 1:58 AM, Ian Piper wrote:
>
> > > Nice article on Microsoft being supplanted by Apple for second place =
in
> > > S&P's list of largest companies for market capitalisation. Says it al=
l,
> > > very eloquently.
>
> > >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/23/microsoft_third_quarter/
>
> > > So shall we have a minute's silence for Microsoft?
>
> > Hmmm...Didn't Microsoft announce higher sales AND profits than Apple?
>
> > Steve
>
> Yes, but reading is fundamental. =A0MS's saw a 30% increase year over
> year, Apple saw a 90% increase year over year.
>
> Apple's revenue and profit were less than $1 billion less than
> Microsoft -- compare that to only 5 years ago. =A0MS is stagnant, Apple
> is still growing.

LOL!

98% World Market Share vs 2% World Market Share.... yep some amazing
growth there. LOL
0
MuahMan
4/27/2010 10:49:41 AM
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:58:06 +0100, Ian Piper wrote:

> Nice article on Microsoft being supplanted by Apple for second place in 
> S&P's list of largest companies for market capitalisation. Says it all, 
> very eloquently.
> 
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/23/microsoft_third_quarter/
> 
> So shall we have a minute's silence for Microsoft? Nah: I prefer 
> Muttley-style snickering: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZm47SrmuwM
> 
> 
> Ian.

It proves to me a Windows PC is the right choice.   If Apple can make so
much money off of less than 4% of the computer market, their products must
be seriously overpriced.
0
Edwin
4/27/2010 2:10:08 PM
On Apr 27, 10:10=A0am, Edwin <thorn...@juno.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:58:06 +0100, Ian Piper wrote:
> > Nice article on Microsoft being supplanted by Apple for second place in
> > S&P's list of largest companies for market capitalisation. Says it all,
> > very eloquently.
>
> >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/23/microsoft_third_quarter/
>
> > So shall we have a minute's silence for Microsoft? Nah: I prefer
> > Muttley-style snickering:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DUZm47SrmuwM
>
> > Ian.
>
> It proves to me a Windows PC is the right choice. =A0 If Apple can make s=
o
> much money off of less than 4% of the computer market, their products mus=
t
> be seriously overpriced.

So Apple only sells computers?
0
KDT
4/27/2010 9:04:34 PM
> On Apr 27, 10:10�am, Edwin <thorn...@juno.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:58:06 +0100, Ian Piper wrote:
> > > Nice article on Microsoft being supplanted by Apple for second place in
> > > S&P's list of largest companies for market capitalisation. Says it all,
> > > very eloquently.
> >
> > >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/23/microsoft_third_quarter/
> >
> > > So shall we have a minute's silence for Microsoft? Nah: I prefer
> > > Muttley-style snickering:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZm47SrmuwM
> >
> > > Ian.
> >
> > It proves to me a Windows PC is the right choice. � If Apple can make so
> > much money off of less than 4% of the computer market, their products must
> > be seriously overpriced.

That's not how markets work, and any high school student should know 
this. You're confusing your cheap standards on the market as a whole, 
and it doesn't work.

If their products were "seriously overpriced", then they would not see 
sales increasing year-to-year, especially in a poor economy. They would 
be seeing declining to almost zero sales, and that's not happening.

Instead, they're seeing strong continuing growth in markets with strong 
competition.
0
Steve
4/27/2010 9:12:11 PM
In article 
<b8c34085-4bf7-49d4-b99d-1ada18403b91@o12g2000vba.googlegroups.com>,
 KDT <scarface_74@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Apr 27, 10:10�am, Edwin <thorn...@juno.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:58:06 +0100, Ian Piper wrote:
> > > Nice article on Microsoft being supplanted by Apple for second place in
> > > S&P's list of largest companies for market capitalisation. Says it all,
> > > very eloquently.
> >
> > >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/23/microsoft_third_quarter/
> >
> > > So shall we have a minute's silence for Microsoft? Nah: I prefer
> > > Muttley-style snickering:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZm47SrmuwM
> >
> > > Ian.
> >
> > It proves to me a Windows PC is the right choice. � If Apple can make so
> > much money off of less than 4% of the computer market, their products must
> > be seriously overpriced.
> 
> So Apple only sells computers?

No, K!

Apple only sells computers when that stance supports an argument that 
Edwin wants to make.

When he needs to make a different argument, he suddenly remembers all 
the other products that Apple makes.

-- 
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" -- 
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone 
"It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X) 
'[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' -- 
'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the 
IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM) 
'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included 
on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun) 
0
Alan
4/27/2010 9:39:34 PM
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 14:12:11 -0700, Steve Hix wrote:

>> On Apr 27, 10:10�am, Edwin <thorn...@juno.com> wrote:
>>> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:58:06 +0100, Ian Piper wrote:
>>> > Nice article on Microsoft being supplanted by Apple for second place in
>>> > S&P's list of largest companies for market capitalisation. Says it all,
>>> > very eloquently.
>>>
>>> >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/23/microsoft_third_quarter/
>>>
>>> > So shall we have a minute's silence for Microsoft? Nah: I prefer
>>> > Muttley-style snickering:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZm47SrmuwM
>>>
>>> > Ian.
>>>
>>> It proves to me a Windows PC is the right choice. � If Apple can make so
>>> much money off of less than 4% of the computer market, their products must
>>> be seriously overpriced.
> 
> That's not how markets work, and any high school student should know 
> this. You're confusing your cheap standards on the market as a whole, 
> and it doesn't work.
> 
> If their products were "seriously overpriced", then they would not see 
> sales increasing year-to-year, especially in a poor economy. They would 
> be seeing declining to almost zero sales, and that's not happening.
> 
> Instead, they're seeing strong continuing growth in markets with strong 
> competition.

Why hasn't their market share gone up to 4% if they've had any growth?
They only sell more units because the market as a whole expands, but they
stay stuck at a stagnant 3.5% market share. 
0
Edwin
4/27/2010 9:44:35 PM
In article <1ji3orv2ho1k8.16y3tot36h40t$.dlg@40tude.net>,
 Edwin <thorne25@juno.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 14:12:11 -0700, Steve Hix wrote:
> 
> >> On Apr 27, 10:10�am, Edwin <thorn...@juno.com> wrote:
> >>> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:58:06 +0100, Ian Piper wrote:
> >>> > Nice article on Microsoft being supplanted by Apple for second place in
> >>> > S&P's list of largest companies for market capitalisation. Says it all,
> >>> > very eloquently.
> >>>
> >>> >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/23/microsoft_third_quarter/
> >>>
> >>> > So shall we have a minute's silence for Microsoft? Nah: I prefer
> >>> > Muttley-style snickering:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZm47SrmuwM
> >>>
> >>> > Ian.
> >>>
> >>> It proves to me a Windows PC is the right choice. � If Apple can make so
> >>> much money off of less than 4% of the computer market, their products must
> >>> be seriously overpriced.
> > 
> > That's not how markets work, and any high school student should know 
> > this. You're confusing your cheap standards on the market as a whole, 
> > and it doesn't work.
> > 
> > If their products were "seriously overpriced", then they would not see 
> > sales increasing year-to-year, especially in a poor economy. They would 
> > be seeing declining to almost zero sales, and that's not happening.
> > 
> > Instead, they're seeing strong continuing growth in markets with strong 
> > competition.
> 
> Why hasn't their market share gone up to 4% if they've had any growth?
> They only sell more units because the market as a whole expands, but they
> stay stuck at a stagnant 3.5% market share. 

They're market share is going up, Edwin. Slowly, but up.

-- 
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" -- 
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone 
"It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X) 
'[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' -- 
'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the 
IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM) 
'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included 
on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun) 
0
Alan
4/27/2010 9:56:01 PM
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 14:56:01 -0700, Alan Baker wrote:

> In article <1ji3orv2ho1k8.16y3tot36h40t$.dlg@40tude.net>,
>  Edwin <thorne25@juno.com> wrote:
> 
>> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 14:12:11 -0700, Steve Hix wrote:
>> 
>>>> On Apr 27, 10:10�am, Edwin <thorn...@juno.com> wrote:
>>>>> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:58:06 +0100, Ian Piper wrote:
>>>>> > Nice article on Microsoft being supplanted by Apple for second place in
>>>>> > S&P's list of largest companies for market capitalisation. Says it all,
>>>>> > very eloquently.
>>>>>
>>>>> >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/23/microsoft_third_quarter/
>>>>>
>>>>> > So shall we have a minute's silence for Microsoft? Nah: I prefer
>>>>> > Muttley-style snickering:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZm47SrmuwM
>>>>>
>>>>> > Ian.
>>>>>
>>>>> It proves to me a Windows PC is the right choice. � If Apple can make so
>>>>> much money off of less than 4% of the computer market, their products must
>>>>> be seriously overpriced.
>>> 
>>> That's not how markets work, and any high school student should know 
>>> this. You're confusing your cheap standards on the market as a whole, 
>>> and it doesn't work.
>>> 
>>> If their products were "seriously overpriced", then they would not see 
>>> sales increasing year-to-year, especially in a poor economy. They would 
>>> be seeing declining to almost zero sales, and that's not happening.
>>> 
>>> Instead, they're seeing strong continuing growth in markets with strong 
>>> competition.
>> 
>> Why hasn't their market share gone up to 4% if they've had any growth?
>> They only sell more units because the market as a whole expands, but they
>> stay stuck at a stagnant 3.5% market share. 
> 
> They're market share is going up, Edwin. Slowly, but up.

How many decades is it going to take to come up to 4%?   I ask for
information only.

Maybe you could write to Steve Jobs to find out why bands have music
stands?   Just a thought.
0
Edwin
4/27/2010 10:09:18 PM
In article <1v1tq2fdktqd5$.etlc1l00vqsh$.dlg@40tude.net>,
 Edwin <thorne25@juno.com> wrote:
> How many decades is it going to take to come up to 4%?   I ask for
> information only.

<http://osxdaily.com/2010/03/02/mac-os-x-market-share-up-29-last-year-now
-10-9-of-web-consumption/>

or

<http://j.mp/c1XQWK>

10.9% of web consumption. So, 10.9% of the computers people actually use 
are Macs.
0
Lewis
4/27/2010 10:29:37 PM
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 16:29:37 -0600, Lewis wrote:

> In article <1v1tq2fdktqd5$.etlc1l00vqsh$.dlg@40tude.net>,
>  Edwin <thorne25@juno.com> wrote:
>> How many decades is it going to take to come up to 4%?   I ask for
>> information only.
> 
> <http://osxdaily.com/2010/03/02/mac-os-x-market-share-up-29-last-year-now
> -10-9-of-web-consumption/>
> 
> or
> 
> <http://j.mp/c1XQWK>
> 
> 10.9% of web consumption. So, 10.9% of the computers people actually use 
> are Macs.

No, that's just somebody's estimate of how many of what types of computers
are currently surfing the Web.   Lots of computers never get connected to
the Internet.
0
Edwin
4/27/2010 10:33:04 PM
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 14:39:34 -0700, Alan Baker wrote:

> In article 
> <b8c34085-4bf7-49d4-b99d-1ada18403b91@o12g2000vba.googlegroups.com>,
>  KDT <scarface_74@yahoo.com> wrote:
> 
>> On Apr 27, 10:10�am, Edwin <thorn...@juno.com> wrote:
>>> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:58:06 +0100, Ian Piper wrote:
>>> > Nice article on Microsoft being supplanted by Apple for second place in
>>> > S&P's list of largest companies for market capitalisation. Says it all,
>>> > very eloquently.
>>>
>>> >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/23/microsoft_third_quarter/
>>>
>>> > So shall we have a minute's silence for Microsoft? Nah: I prefer
>>> > Muttley-style snickering:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZm47SrmuwM
>>>
>>> > Ian.
>>>
>>> It proves to me a Windows PC is the right choice. � If Apple can make so
>>> much money off of less than 4% of the computer market, their products must
>>> be seriously overpriced.
>> 
>> So Apple only sells computers?
> 
> No, K!
> 
> Apple only sells computers when that stance supports an argument that 
> Edwin wants to make.
> 
> When he needs to make a different argument, he suddenly remembers all 
> the other products that Apple makes.

I see you're putting words in my mouth again.    Does this have something
to do with the "quote" you made up about music stands?   Or maybe it has
something to do with your thoughts on Pixar?
0
Edwin
4/27/2010 10:39:00 PM
In article <16bizjc3aaatj$.1jq1yjw5ggu2v$.dlg@40tude.net>,
 Edwin <thorne25@juno.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 14:39:34 -0700, Alan Baker wrote:
> 
> > In article 
> > <b8c34085-4bf7-49d4-b99d-1ada18403b91@o12g2000vba.googlegroups.com>,
> >  KDT <scarface_74@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > 
> >> On Apr 27, 10:10�am, Edwin <thorn...@juno.com> wrote:
> >>> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:58:06 +0100, Ian Piper wrote:
> >>> > Nice article on Microsoft being supplanted by Apple for second place in
> >>> > S&P's list of largest companies for market capitalisation. Says it all,
> >>> > very eloquently.
> >>>
> >>> >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/23/microsoft_third_quarter/
> >>>
> >>> > So shall we have a minute's silence for Microsoft? Nah: I prefer
> >>> > Muttley-style snickering:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZm47SrmuwM
> >>>
> >>> > Ian.
> >>>
> >>> It proves to me a Windows PC is the right choice. � If Apple can make so
> >>> much money off of less than 4% of the computer market, their products must
> >>> be seriously overpriced.
> >> 
> >> So Apple only sells computers?
> > 
> > No, K!
> > 
> > Apple only sells computers when that stance supports an argument that 
> > Edwin wants to make.
> > 
> > When he needs to make a different argument, he suddenly remembers all 
> > the other products that Apple makes.
> 
> I see you're putting words in my mouth again.    Does this have something
> to do with the "quote" you made up about music stands?   Or maybe it has
> something to do with your thoughts on Pixar?

You don't remember your argument that HP was more successful that Apple 
because it didn't sell as many products?

In that argument, you ignored all the HP non-computer products and 
brought in all of Apple's.

-- 
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" -- 
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone 
"It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X) 
'[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' -- 
'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the 
IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM) 
'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included 
on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun) 
0
Alan
4/28/2010 2:14:26 AM
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 19:14:26 -0700, Alan Baker wrote:

> In article <16bizjc3aaatj$.1jq1yjw5ggu2v$.dlg@40tude.net>,
>  Edwin <thorne25@juno.com> wrote:
> 
>> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 14:39:34 -0700, Alan Baker wrote:
>> 
>>> In article 
>>> <b8c34085-4bf7-49d4-b99d-1ada18403b91@o12g2000vba.googlegroups.com>,
>>>  KDT <scarface_74@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> 
>>>> On Apr 27, 10:10�am, Edwin <thorn...@juno.com> wrote:
>>>>> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:58:06 +0100, Ian Piper wrote:
>>>>> > Nice article on Microsoft being supplanted by Apple for second place in
>>>>> > S&P's list of largest companies for market capitalisation. Says it all,
>>>>> > very eloquently.
>>>>>
>>>>> >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/23/microsoft_third_quarter/
>>>>>
>>>>> > So shall we have a minute's silence for Microsoft? Nah: I prefer
>>>>> > Muttley-style snickering:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZm47SrmuwM
>>>>>
>>>>> > Ian.
>>>>>
>>>>> It proves to me a Windows PC is the right choice. � If Apple can make so
>>>>> much money off of less than 4% of the computer market, their products must
>>>>> be seriously overpriced.
>>>> 
>>>> So Apple only sells computers?
>>> 
>>> No, K!
>>> 
>>> Apple only sells computers when that stance supports an argument that 
>>> Edwin wants to make.
>>> 
>>> When he needs to make a different argument, he suddenly remembers all 
>>> the other products that Apple makes.
>> 
>> I see you're putting words in my mouth again.    Does this have something
>> to do with the "quote" you made up about music stands?   Or maybe it has
>> something to do with your thoughts on Pixar?
> 
> You don't remember your argument that HP was more successful that Apple 
> because it didn't sell as many products?

I remember arguing that HP wouldn't sell as many products as they do if
malware were the insurmountable problem Lloyd Parsons et al pretends it is,
and that Windows PCs are more successful than the Mac as shown by their
market share.   You always distort the arguments of your opponents into
something you think you can win.

> In that argument, you ignored all the HP non-computer products and 
> brought in all of Apple's.

IOW, in your misconceptions of my arguments, which like as not include
things I never actually wrote.

Are you going to ask about music stands again, or will a simple "LOL" be
enough for you?
0
Edwin
4/28/2010 1:41:30 PM
In article <1e7cf3egu0p13$.1tygwdj5ed86e$.dlg@40tude.net>,
 Edwin <thorne25@juno.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 19:14:26 -0700, Alan Baker wrote:
> 
> > In article <16bizjc3aaatj$.1jq1yjw5ggu2v$.dlg@40tude.net>,
> >  Edwin <thorne25@juno.com> wrote:
> > 
> >> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 14:39:34 -0700, Alan Baker wrote:
> >> 
> >>> In article 
> >>> <b8c34085-4bf7-49d4-b99d-1ada18403b91@o12g2000vba.googlegroups.com>,
> >>>  KDT <scarface_74@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >>> 
> >>>> On Apr 27, 10:10�am, Edwin <thorn...@juno.com> wrote:
> >>>>> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:58:06 +0100, Ian Piper wrote:
> >>>>> > Nice article on Microsoft being supplanted by Apple for second place 
> >>>>> > in
> >>>>> > S&P's list of largest companies for market capitalisation. Says it 
> >>>>> > all,
> >>>>> > very eloquently.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/23/microsoft_third_quarter/
> >>>>>
> >>>>> > So shall we have a minute's silence for Microsoft? Nah: I prefer
> >>>>> > Muttley-style snickering:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZm47SrmuwM
> >>>>>
> >>>>> > Ian.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> It proves to me a Windows PC is the right choice. � If Apple can make 
> >>>>> so
> >>>>> much money off of less than 4% of the computer market, their products 
> >>>>> must
> >>>>> be seriously overpriced.
> >>>> 
> >>>> So Apple only sells computers?
> >>> 
> >>> No, K!
> >>> 
> >>> Apple only sells computers when that stance supports an argument that 
> >>> Edwin wants to make.
> >>> 
> >>> When he needs to make a different argument, he suddenly remembers all 
> >>> the other products that Apple makes.
> >> 
> >> I see you're putting words in my mouth again.    Does this have something
> >> to do with the "quote" you made up about music stands?   Or maybe it has
> >> something to do with your thoughts on Pixar?
> > 
> > You don't remember your argument that HP was more successful that Apple 
> > because it didn't sell as many products?
> 
> I remember arguing that HP wouldn't sell as many products as they do if
> malware were the insurmountable problem Lloyd Parsons et al pretends it is,
> and that Windows PCs are more successful than the Mac as shown by their
> market share.   You always distort the arguments of your opponents into
> something you think you can win.

Sorry, but this argument was about the relative profitability of Apple 
and HP and you insisted that HP was essentially only a computer company 
while Apple had all these other products.

You were wildly wrong, as usual.

> 
> > In that argument, you ignored all the HP non-computer products and 
> > brought in all of Apple's.
> 
> IOW, in your misconceptions of my arguments, which like as not include
> things I never actually wrote.

LOL

> 
> Are you going to ask about music stands again, or will a simple "LOL" be
> enough for you?

LOL

-- 
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" -- 
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone 
"It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X) 
'[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' -- 
'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the 
IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM) 
'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included 
on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun) 
0
Alan
4/28/2010 6:44:59 PM
On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 11:44:59 -0700, Alan Baker wrote:

> In article <1e7cf3egu0p13$.1tygwdj5ed86e$.dlg@40tude.net>,
>  Edwin <thorne25@juno.com> wrote:
> 
>> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 19:14:26 -0700, Alan Baker wrote:
>> 
>>> In article <16bizjc3aaatj$.1jq1yjw5ggu2v$.dlg@40tude.net>,
>>>  Edwin <thorne25@juno.com> wrote:
>>> 
>>>> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 14:39:34 -0700, Alan Baker wrote:
>>>> 
>>>>> In article 
>>>>> <b8c34085-4bf7-49d4-b99d-1ada18403b91@o12g2000vba.googlegroups.com>,
>>>>>  KDT <scarface_74@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>>> 
>>>>>> On Apr 27, 10:10�am, Edwin <thorn...@juno.com> wrote:
>>>>>>> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:58:06 +0100, Ian Piper wrote:
>>>>>>> > Nice article on Microsoft being supplanted by Apple for second place 
>>>>>>> > in
>>>>>>> > S&P's list of largest companies for market capitalisation. Says it 
>>>>>>> > all,
>>>>>>> > very eloquently.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/23/microsoft_third_quarter/
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> > So shall we have a minute's silence for Microsoft? Nah: I prefer
>>>>>>> > Muttley-style snickering:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZm47SrmuwM
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> > Ian.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> It proves to me a Windows PC is the right choice. � If Apple can make 
>>>>>>> so
>>>>>>> much money off of less than 4% of the computer market, their products 
>>>>>>> must
>>>>>>> be seriously overpriced.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> So Apple only sells computers?
>>>>> 
>>>>> No, K!
>>>>> 
>>>>> Apple only sells computers when that stance supports an argument that 
>>>>> Edwin wants to make.
>>>>> 
>>>>> When he needs to make a different argument, he suddenly remembers all 
>>>>> the other products that Apple makes.
>>>> 
>>>> I see you're putting words in my mouth again.    Does this have something
>>>> to do with the "quote" you made up about music stands?   Or maybe it has
>>>> something to do with your thoughts on Pixar?
>>> 
>>> You don't remember your argument that HP was more successful that Apple 
>>> because it didn't sell as many products?
>> 
>> I remember arguing that HP wouldn't sell as many products as they do if
>> malware were the insurmountable problem Lloyd Parsons et al pretends it is,
>> and that Windows PCs are more successful than the Mac as shown by their
>> market share.   You always distort the arguments of your opponents into
>> something you think you can win.
> 
> Sorry, 

You should be sorry.

> but this argument was about the relative profitability of Apple 
> and HP and you insisted that HP was essentially only a computer company 
> while Apple had all these other products.

You're wrong... as always.

> You were wildly wrong, as usual.

You have me confused with Alan Baker.

>> 
>>> In that argument, you ignored all the HP non-computer products and 
>>> brought in all of Apple's.
>> 
>> IOW, in your misconceptions of my arguments, which like as not include
>> things I never actually wrote.
> 
> LOL
> 
>> 
>> Are you going to ask about music stands again, or will a simple "LOL" be
>> enough for you?
> 
> LOL

You forgot to mention Pixar again.
0
Edwin
4/28/2010 8:40:14 PM
Reply: