operating system will take? Just a little something I was pondering...

0
jclapp (2)

On 2005-05-26 23:44:52 -0400, Justin <jclapp@clarku.edu> said:

> What do you think the future of the Macintosh world will look like?
> What manifestation do you think the next generation Macs and Mac
> operating system will take? Just a little something I was pondering...

Pardon me, the title should have been WHAT will the future look like

0
jclapp (2)
5/27/2005 3:46:12 AM
On Thu, 26 May 2005 23:44:52 -0400, Justin <jclapp@clarku.edu> wrote:

>What do you think the future of the Macintosh world will look like?
>What manifestation do you think the next generation Macs and Mac
>operating system will take? Just a little something I was pondering...

The subject line is a metaphysical question beyond the realm of human
intelligence.  Therefore, there is no answer in this lifetime.  Ask
the Big Guy when you get there.

Tom
0
tom_elam (3218)
5/27/2005 3:50:52 AM
Justin <jclapp@clarku.edu> wrote:

> What do you think the future of the Macintosh world will look like?
> What manifestation do you think the next generation Macs and Mac
> operating system will take? Just a little something I was pondering...

What Will The Future Look Like?

We'll probably see iSightcasts pretty soon, and hopefully an iMovies
player to view, buy, organize them. Apple will ship an Intel based WiMax
A/V Airport Base Station that streams Movies, Video from your Mac to
home Flat Panel TVs... and perhaps a new Apple Movie Store to go along
with it.

iTunes & iPod will continue to dominate the music download world and
hold 60% of the market over the next 10 years or so. Apple will buy up
failing record companies during this time and make them extremely
profitable going forward. With Apple's control of Pro Logic and
GarageBand it will directly sign new acts which will quicken the death
of the traditional recording industry.

Using IPv6 & Woz's GPS ideas Apple will release a must have software /
hardware gadget. Something along the lines of an IP based Cell Phone
that does an end run around the traditional Cell and Landline phone
companies.

and lastly... Apple will forget to Advertise :)

oxford

-
0
csma (3267)
5/27/2005 5:10:42 AM
In article <csma-18D5CA.23104226052005@news.uswest.net>,
 Oxford <csma@mac.com> wrote:

> Using IPv6 & Woz's GPS ideas Apple will release a must have software /
> hardware gadget. Something along the lines of an IP based Cell Phone
> that does an end run around the traditional Cell and Landline phone
> companies.

Will the phone be in a 'blue box'?

--
RickG...
BTW - for those who don't like reading headers, my ISP is telus.net
Rick G  <Rick@dot.dot> wrote:

> > Using IPv6 & Woz's GPS ideas Apple will release a must have software /
> > hardware gadget. Something along the lines of an IP based Cell Phone
> > that does an end run around the traditional Cell and Landline phone
> > companies.
>
> Will the phone be in a 'blue box'?

yes, with a shiny blue chrome finish :)

here's an early prototype :)

http://www.markusehrenfried.de/Resources/appleh9.gif

also...

probably worth looking over the 802.16 spec, I have a hunch this is what
the Intel / Apple talks are about. I guess there is a cellular phone
layer in the spec... hum...

http://www.intel.com/netcomms/technologies/wimax/

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/16/
0
csma (3267)

What Will The Future Look Like? WAS: Where Will The Future Look Like?
Now that is an interesting question. Consider that 20 years ago the Mac had just been launched, color monitors were the exception, and there were no networks to speak of, much less the Internet. Single process CPUs ran 16 bit code at 20-30 mhz, a megabyte was all the ram you needed, and 40 mb hard drives were state of the art technology. Modems ran at a blazing 14.4 speed, and the floppy disk was the standard for file transfer. Twenty years from now? Information will be everywhere. Books in libraries will be as obsolete as the horse and buggy. The entire accumulated knowledge of mankind will be searchable online. An overhauled Internet will hold the operator of every connected machine accountable for what they do on the net. Today's LCD will become a wall in the home, carrying entertainment and other content piped in by a 100 terrabit connection running through a $100 60 ghz appliance with 10 tb of ram. To create a document you will use voice recognition for the text, and drag and drop the design and art elements from a truly massive online library. The PC as we know it today will no longer exist, replaced by home and portable appliances as different as the Mac Mini of today is from a G5 or Dell desktop. Apple will be part of Pixar, and the only function allowed of a Mac OS appliance will be to play the programming and music of that company. Pixar, in turn will have merged 90% of the movie, recording and TV business under its control. Actors and musicians will...

sys.mac.advocacy
Hi, If you want to enter in a family website open up: http://www.familypk.com/ Its an entertainment website. Thanks ...

I'm Looking for code that will populate a database with 500,000 junk docs to test dblookup speed? Any Idea what the code might look Like TIA
I'm Looking for code that will populate a database with 500,000 junk docs to test dblookup speed? Any Idea what the code might look Like TIA Off the top of my head with no testing: Create an agent. Run from Actions Menu. Sub Initialize Dim ns As New NotesSession Dim dbCurrent As NotesDatabase Dim docJunk As NotesDocument Dim SomeValue As Variant Dim x As Long Set dbCurrent = ns.CurrentDatabase For x = 1 To 500000 Set docJunk = dbCurrent.CreateDocument ' Set some fields on the document before saving it. Call docJunk.Replac...

I'm Looking for code that will populate a database with 500,000 junk docs to test dblookup speed? Any Idea what the code might look Like TIA <-=meak=-@ammy.com.invalid> wrote in message news:BBtmb.41799$h47.2252@bignews4.bellsouth.net... > I'm Looking for code that will populate a database with 500,000 junk docs to test dblookup speed? Any Idea what the code might look Like TIA > > How far did you get ? Post up your own attempt to do this and then we will point out where you are going wrong. I will give you a starter :- Write an agent in script ...

I'm Looking for code that will populate a database with 500,000 junk docs to test dblookup speed? Any Idea what the code might look Like TIA
I'm Looking for code that will populate a database with 500,000 junk docs to test dblookup speed? Any Idea what the code might look Like TIA ...

You can buy a diamond ring that looks like it would have a real stone in it for not much more than $30! Additionally, gold-plated necklaces and silver-plated necklaces will have the look of real gol
You can buy a diamond ring that looks like it would have a real stone in it for not much more than $30! Additionally, gold-plated necklaces and silver-plated necklaces will have the look of real gold and sterling silver necklaces! Needless to say, there are a whole bunch of different options when searching for fashion jewellery that you most likely will not have trouble finding something that you like! http://www.dojewelry.net These are the latest items we have brought back from the jewelry shows. This is an eclectic mix of high-end unique items and our standard fare Stainless Steel jewelry. http://www.dojewelry.net/New_Jewelry.html Huge selection of Stainless Steel Popular Pendants in Various designs are available at dojewelry.net. Please click the image to see more details. All of our stainless steel jewellry reflect the latest trends in the fashion industry, no matter what specific style you=92re looking to sell, we=92re confident you=92ll find the perfect trendy fashion jewelry to put in your store. http://www.dojewelry.net/Stainless_Steel_Popular_Pendants.htm Where do females wear this type of jewellery, though? Many women choose to wear fashion jewellery at various places that they go and some individuals choose to have a piece of fashion jewellery on whenever they step out their front door! But some popular events and places that women go to where they love to put on these types of fashion accessories include hip-hop clubs, dates, parties, as well as family events, hol...

Looks like Mac sales slipped....again.
Loses almost 3% of it's market share!!! Bu,bu, bu, but Christmas. http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-201308-201310 Funny, someone said it was "growing"?? ............. Oh....right.... it's "growing" from the 12.5% all time high!!! Swoon, shills. Or spin. On 2013-11-25 23:08:57 +0000, Jaybird said: > Loses almost 3% of it's market share!!! Really? Where? From what to what? > > Bu,bu, bu, but Christmas. But it ISN'T Christmas yet, Michael > > > http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-201308-201310 Which shows almost steady share... > > > Funny, someone said it was "growing"?? ............. Oh....right.... > it's "growing" from the 12.5% all time high!!! > > Swoon, shills. > > Or spin. LOL "Alan Baker" wrote in message news:2013112522094177218-alangbaker@telusnet... On 2013-11-25 23:08:57 +0000, Jaybird said: > Loses almost 3% of it's market share!!! >Really? Where? From what to what? Couldn't open the link? Or didn't understand the information? > > Bu,bu, bu, but Christmas. >But it ISN'T Christmas yet, Michael Tiiimmmeeeee, is on my side. > > > http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-201308-201310 >Which shows almost steady share... Wrong!! A 3% decline is not "almost steady"....... > > ...

What Will the PC of 2005 Look Like?
by Martyn Williams and Tom Krazit, IDG News Service Consumers thinking about buying a new computer in 2005 might be better off putting off their purchase until 2006. With few major changes in PC hardware or software due over the next year, the PC of 2005 is likely to look awfully similar to the PC of today. Big changes aren't due until 2006, when the Longhorn operating system from Microsoft, 64-bit applications, and optical drives based on the Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD formats will become available to the average user. Still, that doesn't mean there are no technologies worth looking out for if you do plan to upgrade in 2005. Chipping In: Intel and Advanced Micro Devices are expected to unveil dual-core chips -- which contain two processor cores on a single piece of silicon -- by the end of 2005, although they probably won't appear in mainstream PCs until well into 2006, says Stephen Baker, director of industry analysis at NPD Techworld in Reston, Virginia. Intel will likely boost the cache memory in its Pentium 4 processor and AMD is expected to increase the clock speed of its Athlon 64, but these changes will be incremental. A more substantial shift in processor performance, the move to 64-bit computing, probably also won't happen next year, even though Microsoft is expected to finally release a 64-bit version of Windows XP in early 2005. Bigger changes can be expected in chip sets, which handle the flow of communication be...

A Look At The Mac's Future
You guys will be getting these...about the time cards two generations newer are going for $25 on eBay. 8) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15628106/from/RS.2/ Cuss and discuss. -- Why settle for the lesser evil? Cthulhu for President 2008 In article <nea5l2hbrbiqsje06qi9tleu9942b18hte@4ax.com>, Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com> wrote: > > You guys will be getting these...about the time cards two generations > newer are going for $25 on eBay. 8) > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15628106/from/RS.2/ too bad they had to be recalled. http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/11/06/147208&from=rss In article <4552ae9b$0$495$815e3792@news.qwest.net>, Ted Landry <xyys@com.mil> wrote: > In article <nea5l2hbrbiqsje06qi9tleu9942b18hte@4ax.com>, > Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > > You guys will be getting these...about the time cards two generations > > newer are going for $25 on eBay. 8) > > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15628106/from/RS.2/ > > too bad they had to be recalled. > > http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/11/06/147208&from=rss Hahahahahahaaha! The Mayor of Crap goes down in flames. On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 08:32:08 -0500, iMojo <windoze_sucks@microshaft.com> chose to bless us with the following wisdom: >In article <4552ae9b$0$495$815e3792@news.qwest.net>, > Ted Landry <xyys@com.mil> wrot...

Microsoft JVM looks like it will return!
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2004/apr04/04-02SunAgreementPR.asp - Mitch On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 18:05:26 -0400, "Michel Gallant" <neutron@NOSPAMistar.ca> wrote or quoted : >http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2004/apr04/04-02SunAgreementPR.asp that's a good thing. Wherever MS can do better than Sun, it will put pressure on Sun to improve. It was too bad to waste all the work MS did on their JVM. -- Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green. Coaching, problem solving, economical contract programming. See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jgloss.html for The Java G...

Make Clarion program look like a Mac
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can make my program present more like a Mac. A client has requested this. Is there something that can be done with the visual styles, or is there a template? Eg make the drop down icon a blue background with an up and down arrow, the tabs blue and centred, the scrollbar blue with the up and down arrows at the bottom, etc? Thanks Hi Steven, Check our ksUI library http://klarisoft.com/KSNews_202.htm With this library you=D0=BA client will be able to change UI himself the wa= y he wants Leonid Chudakov chudakov@klarisoft.com ...

Guesses as to what the new iMac will look like.
I was asked by someone what I thought the new iMac would look like... well, it is just a guess and about 5-10 minutes of playing with images, but here it is: <http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/new_imac.jpg>. Of course, that is not a full aluminum enclosure, but that is so 2006... and the iPhone image was an easy one to find and manipulate. :) Oh, and before someone says I ripped off the idea - yeah, I think I saw something similar somewhere else, but I could not quickly find it when talking about guesses as to what it might look like. :) -- God made me an atheist - who are you to question his authority? In article <C2DD5EF2.8A578%CSMA@gallopinginsanity.com>, Snit <CSMA@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote: > I was asked by someone what I thought the new iMac would look like... well, > it is just a guess and about 5-10 minutes of playing with images, but here > it is: <http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/new_imac.jpg>. > > Of course, that is not a full aluminum enclosure, but that is so 2006... and > the iPhone image was an easy one to find and manipulate. :) > > Oh, and before someone says I ripped off the idea - yeah, I think I saw > something similar somewhere else, but I could not quickly find it when > talking about guesses as to what it might look like. :) Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-d_CHY92Aw For the record, I don't think Apple would go with the hardare design of a cell phone and use it f...

Behold, the font for my band will look like this...
....if only I could find a font that looked like this... Here is only a capital T. Note the exponential curves on the right and left of the top of the glyph. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? [Ignore letter fill. Letter shape is the only thing that's important. Heck, ignore letter shape, too. Just go with general impression and see if any font you've ever seen fits the bill...] http://www.robertks.com/t.gif For some ideas about what the full logo should look like, with a bunch of fonts that are close but no cigar, see http://www.robertks.com/fontcompare.php?font=%2Fhome%2Frob...

Looks like Java's future is secure
Based on this recent article, it look like Java isn't going anywhere for a while: <http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20100330/tc_nf/72477> "Java To Flourish "... Sun's Java products appear poised to continue to flourish. In a recent report on Oracle's road map for Java, IDC estimated that Java will maintain a close and busy relationship with eight million developers worldwide -- right across its many varieties and supported form factors. IDC analysts also note that Oracle has forged its entire software strategy around the Java platform." -- Lew You a...

Looks like Tiger will have Korn shell...yeah!
Hi Folks, Yeah, for old farts like me that spent years on SVR4 UNIX the inclusion of Korn shell is a good thing. I wonder what version will deliver...... JC Joseph Crowe <jcrowe@sensation.com> wrote: > Hi Folks, > Yeah, for old farts like me that spent years on SVR4 UNIX > the inclusion of Korn shell is a good thing. I wonder what > version will deliver...... Awesome! Well, young farts (24) like it too... I learned it in school and have used it since. Think I'm the only one at my job that does... others seem to prefer csh/tcsh (bah!). I was already plann...

What relying on Private Health Insurers will Look Like
The Des Moines Register March 5, 2007 Mandating private health insurance is misguided Taxpayer-financed health coverage is a better approach. By the Register Editorial Board It sounds simple enough: Get everyone insured by requiring them to purchase health insurance. So-called "individual mandates" are part of Massachusetts' plan to get all residents covered. They are included in a proposal by California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger. In a recent conversation about health reform in Iowa, state Sen. Jack Hatch said he supports individual mandates because they inject "personal responsibility" into health care. But forcing people to purchase private-sector insurance is far from simple, especially considering the government absolutely must ensure the coverage it makes people buy is adequate. Proceeding with this idea would be a mistake. Just a few weeks ago, this editorial page told the story of Jan and Gary Clausen, who didn't have the option of buying health insurance through an employer. They went out on their own and bought AARP- endorsed plans for about $700 a month. They were left with more than $200,000 in medical bills after Gary was diagnosed with cancer! Some insurance. If the state is going to force people to purchase insurance, it must guarantee necessary services are covered and the bills are paid when health disasters strike. It must require insurance companies to protect Iowans against catastrophic costs. Of course, that's where ...

What will universal healthcare be like? Just look at the VA
With national elections coming late next year, it is inevitable that the topic of socialized medicine will again rear its ugly head. Much ado is made about the 40,000,000 Americans who do not have health insurance, which makes the fact that there are 260,000,000 Americans that do seem insignificant. Of course the 40,000,000 figure likely includes many young and healthy individuals with low risk of serious illness who don�t believe that health insurance would be cost-effective. But that wouldn�t make a good talking point. If one wants to know how a national health care system would operate, one needs to merely look at the systems our government has in place. The most prominent form of socialized medicine in our country is the Department of Veterans Affairs. With 235,000 employees and a budget of more than $60 billion, the VA is the federal government�s second largest department, second only to the Department of Defense. It�s purpose it to provide benefits, disability payments, and health care to military members once they�ve left the service. The medical care provided at VA facilities is generally considered to be top notch. That is, if you can even get to see a doctor at all. For those of us who have private health insurance, we can typically see a doctor for any reason within a week or two, depending how busy that doctor�s office is. Not so with VA health care, or any other socialized health system for that matter. Private insurance yields considerable flexibility and a ...

[News] GNU/Linux Looks Like a Mac and Does a Lot More

Mac FixedPoint[] problem looks like SameQ[] is culprit
If this has already been covered, I apologize for the redundancy. I was playing with the problem with a Mac and PC side by side. The first test was to limit the iterations to see if the algorithm was working at all by running the following on the Mac. m=Table[FixedPoint[Cos,1.1,x],{x,75,85}] Table[{i+74,m[[i]]==m[[i+1]]},{i,1,Length[m]-1}] {0.739085,0.739085,0.739085,0.739085,0.739085,0.739085,0.739085,0.739085,0.739085,0.739085,0.739085} {{75,False},{76,False},{77,False},{78,False},{79,False},{80,False},{81,True},{82,True},{83,True},{84,True}} This was the same on the PC. So i...

What will PC graphics look like 10 years from now?
What will PC graphics look like 10 years from now? Doom 3 is roughly 10 years old - so you can put Doom I and Doom 3 side-by-side and see what 10 years of hardware/software progress looks like. Did anyone really imagine or believe that graphics would look as clean and three-deminsional as they do today? What will graphics look like in 10 years? Will we even be using monitors? "lloydgm" <usenet.lloydgm@choicemail1.com> wrote in message news:883a2394.0408101903.5d8f111c@posting.google.com... > What will PC graphics look like 10 years from now? Doom 3 is roughly > 10...

What will Mac speech recognition apps be like in 20 years
So what will Mac speech recognition be like, say 20 years from now? It is fun to guess. Macs will no doubt be fast enough to support big artificial intelligence apps. Today, such apps are not possible, on our toy computers. As a result, present-day speech apps make many more mistakes than would occur if those speech apps were perfect. Speech apps can and do save money, but only if they are combined with humans, to correct any text mistakes. Recently I was dictating this simple sentence: "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country" The spee...

Vista looks like it will make the current ship date
Bout time http://news.com.com/Microsoft+sets+Vista+prices%2C+expands+testing/2100-1016_3-6112260.html?tag=nefd.top In article <46asf2lere11186vo5drr2miiqb8l75tuf@4ax.com>, tom_elam@earthlink.net wrote: > Bout time > > http://news.com.com/Microsoft+sets+Vista+prices%2C+expands+testing/2100-1016_3 > -6112260.html?tag=nefd.top It's gone into RC1 stage also. MSDN customers (me) will have it this week. Meanwhile I have the August CTP build 5536. 5536 is very nice, and is about to replace XP on my main desktop system here. Mike In article <46asf2lere11186vo5drr2miiqb8l75tuf@4ax.com>, tom_elam@earthlink.net wrote: > Bout time > > http://news.com.com/Microsoft+sets+Vista+prices%2C+expands+testing/2100-1016_3 > -6112260.html?tag=nefd.top Why are you posting this in a Mac advocacy newsgroup? What are you, some king of dumb-fuck? Mojo wrote: > In article <46asf2lere11186vo5drr2miiqb8l75tuf@4ax.com>, > tom_elam@earthlink.net wrote: > >> Bout time >> >> http://news.com.com/Microsoft+sets+Vista+prices%2C+expands+testing/2100-1016_3 >> -6112260.html?tag=nefd.top > > Why are you posting this in a Mac advocacy newsgroup? Why didn't you ever ask Mac Advocates why they're always posting about Vista to this group? [snip] -- "But SunOS was just a purchased OS. Like Apple, Sun purchased and [sic] OS and then developed it. No more." -- Alan "Wrong Again"...

Computing 2016 What Will Version 15 of SAS Look Like?
Computing, 2016: What Won't Be Possible? James Rajotte for The New York Times Jon Kleinberg, professor of computer science at Cornell, sees "a revolution in measurement" in the use of computers to analyze social networks. - By STEVE LOHR<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/peop= le/l/steve_lohr/index.html?inline=3Dnyt-per> Published: October 31, 2006 Computer science is not only a comparatively young field, but also one that has had to prove it is really science. Skeptics in academia would often say that after Alan Turing described the concept of the...

Making Mac OS X look like Windows BS, that is.
http://osxbook.com/book/bonus/chapter5/panic/ This is expressly for the Windiots here who are forced to use a Mac at work or elsewhere so they won't get to attached or lonely for their beloved Windows. ...

Web resources about - Where Will The Future Look Like? - comp.sys.mac.advocacy

Digital Marketing And Social Media Blog - The Future Buzz
The Future Buzz is the digital marketing and social media blog of Adam Singer, covering everything media, marketing and PR.

Legal Futures - Market intelligence for firms of the future
The number of personal injury claims management companies (CMCs) has fallen below 1,000, it has emerged, down from 2,300 at the start of 2013. ...

Phil of the Future - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Phil of the Future is an American sitcom that originally aired on Disney Channel from June 18, 2004, to August 19, 2006 for a total of two seasons. ...

Apple shares details & photos of Campus 2 ‘Theatre’ where it will hold future product launches
... shots and most of the new details surround the on-site auditorium separate from the main building, where the company will indeed hold future ...

Brands Are Making Packages the Media of the Future
Consumers may keep finding ways to avoid ads, and retailers are making it harder for brands to get displays into stores. But packaged-goods marketers ...

This could be the food of the future—if you can handle it
This is the same feeling all those Blue Apron customers get, right? (credit: Jason Plautz) The boxes at my door were plastered with red drawings ...

BMW's Vision Next 100 concept celebrates past, predicts future
Filed under: Green , BMW , Emerging Technologies , Technology , Sedan , Autonomous , Concept Cars , Future Created for the brand's 100th birthday, ...

SAVAK releasing debut LP 'Best of Luck in Future Endeavors' in May (listen to "Reaction"), playing SXSW ...
The band, featuring members of Obits, Holy Fuck, The Make-Up, also play three NYC shows this spring.

Nissan has a wild vision of how electric cars will be used in the future
In the future, your electric car may be a lot more than just a means of transportation. In a new video published by Nissan, the company shows ...

Amy Adams on working with David O. Russell again: ‘Not in the near future, no’
... important than movies.” She wouldn’t, she says, want to work with David O. Russell again – at least not any time soon. “Not in the near future, ...