2000 Grolier Encycl: Can't make disk image, can't copy it

I have a "Year 2000 Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedia 1-Disc Edition" CD
that I would like to use as a quick reference. Instead of digging out
the CD whenever I want to look something up, I'd like to copy the CD to
my hard drive, as I've done with game CDs.

But the Grolier CD won't cooperate. I first tried using Disk Copy 6.3.3
to make a disk image, choosing the "Create Image from Disk" option. It
gets about a third of the way through (going by the progress bar), then
stops. It doesn't freeze or crash--the cursor spins occasionally--but
nothing happens (the progress bar doesn't move). I have to force quit.

Then I tried creating a blank disk image with Disk Copy and then copying
the files on the CD to it in the Finder. No go. It counts up the files
to copy, tells me it will take about 18 minutes, and then the Finder
freezes, forcing me to restart.

Even if I try to copy only a few of the files at a time, the Finder
still freezes.

I couldn't find anything on the Web about the CD being copy-protected.

It's possible that my CD burner is the problem. The CD-ROM drive in my
PM7500 is broken, and the only way I have to read CDs is the burner, an
ancient Yamaha CDR100 4x CD-R drive, and the Toast CD Reader extension
(4.1.2).

I don't know if this is significant, but the CD is marked "MACINTOSH´┐Ż
OEM VERSION 12.0 GN."

My Mac is a PM7500/100 with upgraded 200MHz 604e processor, 128 MB RAM
(129 w/VM), running OS 9.1.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
--
I'm D.F. Manno, and I don't approve of George Bush's message.
0

"D.F. Manno" wrote:

> My Mac is a PM7500/100 with upgraded 200MHz 604e processor, 128 MB RAM
> (129 w/VM), running OS 9.1.

You forgot to mention how much HD space is available, hopefully
in a contiguous block.  But I would guess it's probably some
CD burner extension conflict.
0
George
9/19/2004 5:12:12 PM
In article <414DBDEC.E5B82BA3@mac.com>,
 George Williams <nyar1ath0tep@mac.com> wrote:

> "D.F. Manno" wrote:
>
> > My Mac is a PM7500/100 with upgraded 200MHz 604e processor, 128 MB RAM
> > (129 w/VM), running OS 9.1.
>
> You forgot to mention how much HD space is available

2.67 GB

> hopefully in a contiguous block.

How would I determine that?

> But I would guess it's probably some CD burner extension conflict.

What could I use other than the Toast extension?
--
I'm D.F. Manno, and I don't approve of George Bush's message.