Access Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups from non-Apple Mac machines?

Hello.

Is it possible to access an external USB HDD's data, that is used for
Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups, on non-Apple Mac machines
(Windows and Linux)? Or can it be only be accessed with a Mac? I use
multiple computers and OSes.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"In a battle between elephants, the ants get squashed." --Thailand
  | |o   o| |

Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Is it possible to access an external USB HDD's data, that is used for
> Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups, on non-Apple Mac machines
> (Windows and Linux)? Or can it be only be accessed with a Mac? I use
> multiple computers and OSes.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

Yes, you'll need software that adds HFS+ read (at least) capability to
your other OSes, e.g.
<http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hfs-windows/> and
<http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/> for Windows. Things can
get a little more involved in Linux depending on the distro, e.g.
<http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Hfsplus>.

IIRC Time Capsules backup inside a sparsebundle, so you'll need to be
able to mount those as well in that particular case. Otherwise TM
backups to a regular external HD like yours are just files in folders,
when viewed from other OSes.

Note if you've backed anything up with a resource fork (rare nowadays),
you'll destroy it if you copy it over to a FAT or NTFS disk.
jamiekg505 (3043)
3/30/2012 8:02:30 PM
On 03-30-2012 16:02, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> Note if you've backed anything up with a resource fork (rare nowadays),
> you'll destroy it if you copy it over to a FAT or NTFS disk.

Depends on what software you use to copy it.  That was common in the
early days, but lately I have been seeing a lot of ._DS_Store and the
like in Windows.

--
Wes Groleau

   Nutrition for Blokes: Re-engineering your diet for life
   http://www.phlaunt.com/quentin

0
news31 (6772)
3/31/2012 1:14:49 AM
On 3/30/2012 1:02 PM PT, Jamie Kahn Genet typed:

> Ant<ant@zimage.comANT>  wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> Is it possible to access an external USB HDD's data, that is used for
>> Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups, on non-Apple Mac machines
>> (Windows and Linux)? Or can it be only be accessed with a Mac? I use
>> multiple computers and OSes.
>>
>> Thank you in advance. :)
>
> Yes, you'll need software that adds HFS+ read (at least) capability to
> your other OSes, e.g.
> <http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hfs-windows/>  and
> <http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/>  for Windows. Things can
> get a little more involved in Linux depending on the distro, e.g.
> <http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Hfsplus>.
>
> IIRC Time Capsules backup inside a sparsebundle, so you'll need to be
> able to mount those as well in that particular case. Otherwise TM
> backups to a regular external HD like yours are just files in folders,
> when viewed from other OSes.
>
> Note if you've backed anything up with a resource fork (rare nowadays),
> you'll destroy it if you copy it over to a FAT or NTFS disk.

Thanks. I don't know what resource fork is. Are you saying copying
folders/directories and files to FAT and NTFS drives would mess them up? :(
--
"Ant colonies are remarkably similar to cities. No one choreographs the
action, not even the queen ant, but ant behavior is controlled by swarm

>> Note if you've backed anything up with a resource fork (rare nowadays),
>> you'll destroy it if you copy it over to a FAT or NTFS disk.
>
> Depends on what software you use to copy it. That was common in the
> early days, but lately I have been seeing a lot of ._DS_Store and the
> like in Windows.

I see those a lot on places that share with Windows machines like at work.
--
"Ant colonies are remarkably similar to cities. No one choreographs the
action, not even the queen ant, but ant behavior is controlled by swarm
logic--put 10,000 dumb ants together, and they become smart. They will
calculate the shortest routes to food supplies sniffing out pheromone
signals from other ants and Johnson says people do the same thing in
cities using low-level interactions of people on the street." --Alex
Cukan, "Stories of modern science," United Press International, October
8, 2001
  | |o   o| |
ant (886)
3/31/2012 5:40:40 AM
Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> On 3/30/2012 1:02 PM PT, Jamie Kahn Genet typed:
>
> > Ant<ant@zimage.comANT>  wrote:
> >
> >> Hello.
> >>
> >> Is it possible to access an external USB HDD's data, that is used for
> >> Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups, on non-Apple Mac machines
> >> (Windows and Linux)? Or can it be only be accessed with a Mac? I use
> >> multiple computers and OSes.
> >>
> >> Thank you in advance. :)
> >
> > Yes, you'll need software that adds HFS+ read (at least) capability to
> > your other OSes, e.g.
> > <http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hfs-windows/>  and
> > <http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/>  for Windows. Things can
> > get a little more involved in Linux depending on the distro, e.g.
> > <http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Hfsplus>.
> >
> > IIRC Time Capsules backup inside a sparsebundle, so you'll need to be
> > able to mount those as well in that particular case. Otherwise TM
> > backups to a regular external HD like yours are just files in folders,
> > when viewed from other OSes.
> >
> > Note if you've backed anything up with a resource fork (rare nowadays),
> > you'll destroy it if you copy it over to a FAT or NTFS disk.
>
> Thanks. I don't know what resource fork is. Are you saying copying
> folders/directories and files to FAT and NTFS drives would mess them up? :(

If they've a resource fork <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_fork>,
yes. But few OSX apps or documents use them any more, as resource forks
are a legacy technology brought over from classic MacOS days. Instead
the OSX way is to use bundles - folders with an extension that means
they're displayed as a single file in OSX (unless you right click and go
"Show package contents"), but show up as a folder full of other files
and folders (the parts that make up the app or document) when viewed in
another OS.

So you'll probably be ok unless you've older apps (and the documents
they produce) from the early days of OSX, or the few that cling to using
resource forks. I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's just something
to be aware of, if for example you're an old time Mac user like myself,
with apps ported over with very little if any change shortly after OSX
arrived on the scene, and documents I still access that date back to the
90's :-)
jamiekg505 (3043)
3/31/2012 7:15:49 AM
>>> Note if you've backed anything up with a resource fork (rare nowadays),
>>> you'll destroy it if you copy it over to a FAT or NTFS disk.
>>
>> Thanks. I don't know what resource fork is. Are you saying copying
>> folders/directories and files to FAT and NTFS drives would mess them up? :(
>
> If they've a resource fork<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_fork>,
> yes. But few OSX apps or documents use them any more, as resource forks
> are a legacy technology brought over from classic MacOS days. Instead
> the OSX way is to use bundles - folders with an extension that means
> they're displayed as a single file in OSX (unless you right click and go
> "Show package contents"), but show up as a folder full of other files
> and folders (the parts that make up the app or document) when viewed in
> another OS.
>
> So you'll probably be ok unless you've older apps (and the documents
> they produce) from the early days of OSX, or the few that cling to using
> resource forks. I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's just something
> to be aware of, if for example you're an old time Mac user like myself,
> with apps ported over with very little if any change shortly after OSX
> arrived on the scene, and documents I still access that date back to the
> 90's :-)

Oldest Mac OS X applications I can think of are from 2008 (v10.5) so I
think I am OK. :)
--
Captain Marvel: Shazam. Billy Batson: Now put her down. Black Adam: See?
Like an ant. --Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam
On 03-31-2012 01:40, Ant wrote:
> On 3/30/2012 6:14 PM PT, Wes Groleau typed:

JKG> Note if you've backed anything up with a resource fork (rare nowadays),
JKG> you'll destroy it if you copy it over to a FAT or NTFS disk.
>>
>> Depends on what software you use to copy it. That was common in the
>> early days, but lately I have been seeing a lot of ._DS_Store and the
>> like in Windows.
>
> I see those a lot on places that share with Windows machines like at work.

They are resource forks.  That's how Apple gets around the fact that
other file systems don't have them.

.._filename is the resource fork for filename

--
Wes Groleau

   Nutrition for Blokes: Re-engineering your diet for life
   http://www.phlaunt.com/quentin

0
news31 (6772)
3/31/2012 3:46:43 PM
On 03-31-2012 11:46, Wes Groleau wrote:
> On 03-31-2012 01:40, Ant wrote:
>> On 3/30/2012 6:14 PM PT, Wes Groleau typed:
> JKG> Note if you've backed anything up with a resource fork (rare
> nowadays),
> JKG> you'll destroy it if you copy it over to a FAT or NTFS disk.
>>>
>>> Depends on what software you use to copy it. That was common in the
>>> early days, but lately I have been seeing a lot of ._DS_Store and the
>>> like in Windows.
>>
>> I see those a lot on places that share with Windows machines like at
>> work.
>
> They are resource forks. That's how Apple gets around the fact that
> other file systems don't have them.
>
> ._filename is the resource fork for filename

If you are seeing them on Mac, that's odd.
If you are seeing them on Windows, then both filename
and ._filename came from Mac.  And if they came from your Mac,
you DO have resource forks.  And the fact that you see them both
shows that the resource fork was not destroyed by putting it on NTFS
(or FAT, if it's a very ancient Windows).

However, if you copy filename back to the Mac without ._filename,
then you will have lost something.

One place I know where resource forks are still used, is for holding
preview images for graphics files.  Allows you to see a miniature
version of the image in Finder.  I have to go through and delete them
all before updating the images directory on my website.  Up there, they
waste space because I'm not using Finder there.

--
Wes Groleau

   Nutrition for Blokes: Re-engineering your diet for life
   http://www.phlaunt.com/quentin

0
news31 (6772)
3/31/2012 3:57:34 PM
On 3/31/2012 8:46 AM PT, Wes Groleau typed:

> JKG> Note if you've backed anything up with a resource fork (rare
> nowadays),
> JKG> you'll destroy it if you copy it over to a FAT or NTFS disk.
>>>
>>> Depends on what software you use to copy it. That was common in the
>>> early days, but lately I have been seeing a lot of ._DS_Store and the
>>> like in Windows.
>>
>> I see those a lot on places that share with Windows machines like at
>> work.
>
> They are resource forks. That's how Apple gets around the fact that
> other file systems don't have them.
>
> ._filename is the resource fork for filename

Is it bad to delete those files? I wasn't sure to keep them or not. It's
like Windows' thumbnail.db files.
--
"It is not enough to be industrious; so are the ants. What are you
industrious about?" --Henry David Thoreau
<ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> > They are resource forks. That's how Apple gets around the fact that
> > other file systems don't have them.
> >
> > ._filename is the resource fork for filename
>
> Is it bad to delete those files? I wasn't sure to keep them or not. It's
> like Windows' thumbnail.db files.

potentially, it can be very bad, depending on what's in the resource
fork. sometimes it won't matter and sometimes it definitely will.
0
nospam59 (11089)
3/31/2012 8:25:32 PM
Wes Groleau <Groleau+news@FreeShell.org> wrote:

> On 03-31-2012 01:40, Ant wrote:
> > On 3/30/2012 6:14 PM PT, Wes Groleau typed:
>
> JKG> Note if you've backed anything up with a resource fork (rare nowadays),
> JKG> you'll destroy it if you copy it over to a FAT or NTFS disk.
> >>
> >> Depends on what software you use to copy it. That was common in the
> >> early days, but lately I have been seeing a lot of ._DS_Store and the
> >> like in Windows.
> >
> > I see those a lot on places that share with Windows machines like at work.
>
> They are resource forks.  That's how Apple gets around the fact that
> other file systems don't have them.
>
> ._filename is the resource fork for filename

Not just the resource fork, also the Finder information, which includes
the filetype and creator codes.

When Mac OS X stores a file on a non-Mac file system, it uses
AppleDouble format, which splits the Mac file into two parts. The data
fork ("normal" content portion of a document) is saved under the name of
the file, and all other parts of the file are saved in ._filename,
structured with AppleDouble header information to identify the various
parts. It might include a resource fork, Finder information, and
potentially other things.

The ._filename part is not created if it wouldn't contain anything
useful, e.g. a file with no type/creator codes and no resource fork.

If the file has a custom file type and no resource fork, that will be
sufficient to require creation of a ._filename part.

The most common reason for having a resource fork in recent versions of
Mac OS X is if the file has a custom icon. They were more common back in
the PowerPC era, as they were a required part of applications on Mac OS
9 and earlier, and sometimes used on documents.

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz

> In article<YeCdnSACc6er--rSnZ2dnUVZ_sudnZ2d@earthlink.com>, Ant
> <ant@zimage.comANT>  wrote:
>
>>> They are resource forks. That's how Apple gets around the fact that
>>> other file systems don't have them.
>>>
>>> ._filename is the resource fork for filename
>>
>> Is it bad to delete those files? I wasn't sure to keep them or not. It's
>> like Windows' thumbnail.db files.
>
> potentially, it can be very bad, depending on what's in the resource
> fork. sometimes it won't matter and sometimes it definitely will.

Thanks. I will stop touching those files then.
--
"Even the ant has his (her) bite." --Turkish
  | |o   o| |
On 03-31-2012 16:16, Ant wrote:
> On 3/31/2012 8:46 AM PT, Wes Groleau typed:
>> ._filename is the resource fork for filename
>
> Is it bad to delete those files? I wasn't sure to keep them or not. It's
> like Windows' thumbnail.db files.

If you don't know what they're for, I'd leave them alone.
_Most_ of them are not important, but if you don't know....

--
Wes Groleau

    “There ain't nothin' in this world that's worth being a snot over.”
                                  — Larry Wall

0
news31 (6772)

Hi. Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x). I did not know this! Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on his old 2008 MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use the old one from 10.5.8? Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to import/copy the old image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his photo(graph)s? I recalled he did not like iPhoto and wonder if the new one is any better. Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "Every ruler sleeps on an anthill." --Afghani /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. If crediting, ( ) then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. On 2012-09-21 3:05 PM ANTant@zimage.com (Ant) wrote: > Hi. > > Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife > like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x). I did not know this! > Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on his old 2008 > MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use the old one > from 10.5.8? Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to > import/copy the old image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his > photo(graph)s? I rec...

3/Three usability issues in Mac OS X 10.8.5: Re(storing/covering) huge files from its Trash bin, renamed Time Machine's disk drive, and bring back Finder's sidebar external USB HDD icons?
Hi again. I just ran into a weird/an odd usability issue that bugged me in an updated Mac OS X 10.8.5 earlier: I tossed a huge 4.5 GB folder into Mac OS X 10.8.5's Trash bin. I decided to restore it back to the same exact place by dragging the folder back to the same place in Finder. However, it did a copy. Shouldn't it be a move? Isn't there a restore to the back place option? 2. I renamed an external HDD's name that was used for Time Machine (TM) back up. When I went to back up, it told me it couldn't. So, I looked at TM settings. I noticed it was looking for the old name even though it was the same exact disk. I told it to reuse the renamed disk to resume. Why is it that picky on my renamed disk drive? 3. Also, how do I get back Finder's sidebar icon for mounted external USB HDD? I accidently removed it. Unmounting and remounting doesn't make it come back. Thank you in advance. :) -- "Don't step on ants... they're people too." --a quote from ANTZ movie. /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. ( ) If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed. Ant is currently not listening to any songs on this computer. In article <07edndf9S_Q_FszPnZ2dnUVZ_sqdnZ2d@earthlink.com>...

Mac OS X 10.8.5's App Store keeps offering the free 10.10 Mavericks...
Hello. Mac OS X 10.8.5's App Store keeps offering the free 10.10 Mavericks when I manually check for updates. I right clicked and hid this update to make it go away. After I exit App Store and recheck for updates, it returns. Why is it not hiding? I don't want it! :( Thank you in advance. :) -- "Are you slower than an ant?" --Sai Yuk from The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk movie (English subtitles) /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | ...

Did Mac OS X 10.5.8's Airport Update reset anyone's AP to use?
Hello! I was doing big updates in Mac OS X 10.5.8 through its Software Update earlier on a client's MacBook Pro. After the required reboot, I noticed it went to an open AP (titled Linksys, duh) instead of the protected AP I was on earlier. I had to re-enter the datas and stuff even though it has a history of previous APs. Weird that it forgot the one it was just on! Did anyone experience that too with the latest Airport update? Thank you in advance. :) -- "An ant may work its (her) heart out, but it (she) can't make money." --unknown /\___/\ / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net \ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com Ant is currently not listening to any songs on his home computer. ...

What is a better program to replace Apple Mac OS X 10.5.7's iPhoto?
Hello! One of my clients does not like Apple Mac OS X 10.5.7's iPhoto which is limited and confusing to him. He doesn't like how albums, layouts, etc. work. We would like to know if there are better softwares (freeware if possible) to handle digital pictures/photographs on a MacBook Pro. Thank you in advance. :) -- "Now I have you where I want you... where is my jar of Bull ants?" --unknown /\___/\ / /\ /\ \ Phil./Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net \ ...

Slow Time Machine in Mac OS X 10.5.8 on a three years old MacBook Pro?
Hi. Is it me or does it take forever (e.g., a couple hours) to back up about 42 GB through USB 2.0? Thank you in advance. :) -- "A centipede is an ant made to Canadian/government specs." --unknown /\___/\ Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. ( ) If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed. Ant is currently not listening to any songs on this computer. On 6/18/11 PDT...

Delete all backups of "filename" from Time Machine not working in Mac OS X 10.8.3?
Hello. When I right click on a Time Machine (TM)'s back up file to delete ALL back ups. They don't seem to go away. I can still do quick look, restore, etc. on the requested deleted all files! Am I doing this wrong, misunderstanding this, or is there something wrong with this TM backup that started late last summer 2012? :( Thank you in advance. :) -- "He who storms in like a whirlwind returns like an ant." --Borneo /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. ( ) If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed. Ant is currently not listening to any songs on this computer. In article <YrCdnWKAr9_zORPMnZ2dnUVZ_jWdnZ2d@earthlink.com>, Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote: > Hello. > > When I right click on a Time Machine (TM)'s back up file to delete ALL > back ups. They don't seem to go away. I can still do quick look, > restore, etc. on the requested deleted all files! Am I doing this wrong, > misunderstanding this, or is there something wrong with this TM backup > that started late last summer 2012? :( > > Thank you in advance. :) TM backups are exact copies of what was present on a system when the backup was taken. Rather they're a mix of all the files tha...

MAC Defender variant quickly thwarts Apple's Mac OS X security update
http://bit.ly/msgDE0 MAC Defender variant quickly thwarts Apple's Mac OS X security update By AppleInsider Staff Published: 03:55 PM EST A day after Apple released a security update for Mac OS X to address the "MAC Defender" malware, a new variant of the bogus antivirus software has been spotted in the wild. As first reported by Ed Bott at ZDNet, the new variation of MAC Defender, named "Mdinstall.pkg," has been crafted to bypass the new malware-blocking code made available by Apple. That update for Mac OS X, Security Update 2011-003, was released on Tuesday. "The file has a date and time stamp from last night at 9:24PM Pacific time," Bott wrote. That's less than 8 hours after Apple's security update was released. On a test system using Safari with default settings, it behaved exactly as before, beginning the installation process with no password required. "As PC virus experts know, this cat-and-mouse game can go on indefinitely. Your move, Apple." Security Update 2011-003 included changes to the File Quarantine feature found in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. It includes anti-malware definitions within the operating system itself, and examines external files downloaded within Mail, iChat, Safari, or other quarantine-aware applications. The MACDefender malware first gained attention in early May, when it was spotted by an antivirus company. The program automatically download...

Can't find a scanner driver old Mac OS X 10.5.8 with a HP OfficeJet 6110 all-in-one machine?
Hello. I have a client's old 15" MacBook Pro, from 2008, that has the updated Mac OS X 10.5.8. His HP OfficeJet 6110 all-in-one machine (USB) works fine for printing, but scanning is a problem. Image Capture v4.0 does not detect this connected HP OfficeJet 6110 due to lack of TWAIN driver. I looked for the latest driver on HP.com web site, but it said to use the one supplied from Mac OS X 10.5 which is already is used as 6100 series. According to http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01234231&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=219&product=79477&sw_lang= , it says "... Scanning is no longer supported when using Mac OS v10.5 with the following products: ... HP Officejet 6100 series". That stinks. :( So, is there a third party driver or a way to use this old HP OfficeJet's scanner for Mac OS X 10.5.8? I know its scanning works with his very old Dell Optiplex PC with updated Windows 2000 SP4 with its HP drivers and software package. Thank you in advance. :) -- "We're all ants. I'm a glittery little ant." --Alanis Morissette /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. ( ) If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed. Ant is currently not listening to any songs on this computer. In artic...

Mac OS X 10.8.5's App Store v1.2.2 (129.16) does not see the updated iTunes v11.3?
Hello. I noticed there is a newer iTunes at v11.3, but for some reason my Mac OS X 10.8.5's AppStore v1.2.2 (129.16) does not see it. However, iTunes v11.2.2 (64-bit; 3) detected an update and offered me to get it (went to App Store which doesn't see it)? What's up? My Mac OS X 10.7.5 and 10.9.4 machines did not have this problem. Did anyone else run into this especially in 10.8.5? Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "Stan, are you OK?" --Francine; "Yeah. Hey, you look like ants from down here. Wait, wait, those are just ants on my eyes..." --Stan from American Dad's S3E15 (Stanny Slickers 2: The Legend of Ollie's Gold) deleted scene /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. If crediting, ( ) then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. In comp.sys.mac.system Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote: > I noticed there is a newer iTunes at v11.3, but for some reason my Mac > OS X 10.8.5's AppStore v1.2.2 (129.16) does not see it. However, iTunes > v11.2.2 (64-bit; 3) detected an update and offered me to get it (went to > App Store which doesn't see it)? What's up? I don't know, but I'm at iTunes 11.2.1, and the App Store hasn't done anything about that s...

Any catches on restoring from an old Mac OS X v10.8.5 Time Machine HDD backup to new SSD on a 13.3" MacBook Pro (9,2; MD102ll/A)?
Hello. It looks like I'll be helping my client get a SSD to replace his dying, dropped HDD, in his 13.3" MacBook Pro (9,2; MD102ll/A) soon. Since he still has his Mac OS X v10.8.5's Time Machine's HDD backup, I assume it is straight easy to restore like I did yesterday (took about three hours to finish) from a bigger HDD to a smaller SSD? Or will I run into issues that I don't know about? Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant b...

How come Mac OS X 10.5's Software Update doesn't show a total time ETA and size?
Hello. I noticed when downloading big updates from Mac OS X 10.5's Software Update, it doesn't show the TOTAL time left and size. It only shows the individual updates (e.g., iTunes). Is there a way to show the totals especially when downloading takes forever? Thank you in advance. :) -- "The foreign policy aim of ants can be summed up as follows: restless aggression, territorial conquest, and genocidal annihilation of neighboring colonies whenever possible. If ants had nuclear weapons, they would probably end the world in a week." --Journey to the Ants, ...

Lock Mac OS X 10.5.8's dock icons?
Hi! Once in a while, my client and I accidently drag an icon while clicking on it to make it go away. Is there a way to lock these dock icons so they won't move and vanish? Yes, our hands aren't steady since we're old. :( Thank you in advance. :) -- "In a battle between elephants, the ants get squashed." --Thailand /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. ( ) I...

How to delete/remove DigiNotar in Mac OS X 10.5.8's Safari?
Hello. I noticed Apple never released an update to delete/remove DigiNotar in Mac OS X 10.5.8 since I have all updates. I was able to tell Keychain to untrust it from http://fairerplatform.com/2011/09/how-to-disable-diginotar-ssl-certificate/article, but it won't let me delete it. Mac OS X just beeps at me when I hit delete key on this Intel MacBook Pro (from October 2008). I tried dragging it to the trash can, but that didn't do anything. Am I missing something? I did unlock this Keychain screen and was able to untrust. Thank you in advance. :) -- "Busy as ants hurrying...

Apple's Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard to retail for $29 in September
From Apple Insider: http://tinyurl.com/molpp7 Cuss and discuss, class. Apple's Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard to retail for $29 in September By AppleInsider Staff Published: 02:00 PM Apple on Monday offered attendees at its annual developer conference an overview of its nearly finalized Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard operating system, which the company said will be available in September as a $29 upgrade for users of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. "We've built on the success of Leopard and created an even better experience for our users from installation to shutdown," said Bertrand Serlet, Apple's senior vice president of Software Engineering. "Apple engineers have made hundreds of improvements so with Snow Leopard your system is going to feel faster, more responsive and even more reliable than before." To create Snow Leopard, Apple said its engineers focused on refining 90 percent of the more than 1,000 projects in Mac OS X. As such, users should notice: A more responsive Finder Mail that loads messages 85 percent faster and conducts searches up to 90 percent faster. Time Machine with up to 50 percent faster initial backup A Dock with Expose integration. A 64-bit version of Safari 4 that boosts the performance of the Nitro JavaScript engine by up to 50 percent and is resistant to crashes caused by plugins. Snow Leopard also includes an all new QuickTime X, with a redesigned player that allows users to easily view, record, trim and s...

Backup versus/vs. Sync in Mac OS X 10.8.3's iTunes with an iPhone 4S?
Hello. Are iTunes' backup and sync with an iPhone 4S, two different things? I noticed last night, backing up did not copy iPhone 4S' data to MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.8.3 softwares. However, Sync did. I thought they were the same like Sync only synchronize and backups did full iPhone backups with personal data to MacBook Pro. Note that iTunes is configured to not to overwrite iPhone's datas since updating/editing/creating on MacBook Pro is very rare. Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "Bother," said Winnie the Pooh, as he stepped on an ant. /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. If crediting, ( ) then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. In article <YNednU8SepcycRrMnZ2dnUVZ_tKdnZ2d@earthlink.com>, Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote: > Hello. > > Are iTunes' backup and sync with an iPhone 4S, two different things? yes, and they can be done separately. > I noticed last night, backing up did not copy iPhone 4S' data to MacBook > Pro's Mac OS X 10.8.3 softwares. yes it did, to the backup folder. > However, Sync did. I thought they were > the same like Sync only synchronize and backups did full iPhone backups > with personal data to MacBook Pro. N...

Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)'s App Store v1.3 (201)'s "Updates installed ..." section.
Hello. I have a couple questions with the new Mavericks OS (clean install): 1. Is there a way to hide this "Updates Installed In The Last 30 Days" section? It keeps confusing me that these are new updates available to download and install until I read the section's title. :P I like how Windows does its update history hidden at first and then I can view them when I want to. 2. Is there a way to show more than 30 days when Mavericks' release is over 30 days old? Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "A centipede is an ant made to Canadian/government specs." --unknown /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. If crediting, ( ) then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. Ant wrote: > Hello. > > I have a couple questions with the new Mavericks OS (clean install): > > 1. Is there a way to hide this "Updates Installed In The Last 30 Days" > section? It keeps confusing me that these are new updates available to > download and install until I read the section's title. :P I like how > Windows does its update history hidden at first and then I can view them > when I want to. > > 2. Is there a way to show more than 30 days when Mavericks' release is > over 30...

Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, MacDrive 7.0.10, Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel, Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID, Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac, FXpansion GURU 1.1.280 for Mac, Roxio Popcorn
Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, MacDrive 7.0.10, Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel, Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID, Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac, FXpansion GURU 1.1.280 for Mac, Roxio Popcorn 3 for Mac, MapleSoft Maple 11.01.303882 Pro for Mac, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/10/15, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/ MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' please send e-mail to : ola 'AT' mail 'DOT' gr , ola3 'AT' mailbox 'DOT' gr , www 'DOT' 20000plusdvdsandcds 'DOT' tk , ( please substitute 'AT' with '@' , and 'DOT' with '.' ) , ola@mail.gr, ola3@mailbox.gr, www.20000plusdvdsandcds.tk --------------------------------------- 2007-10-15 MacDrive 7.0.10 Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac (1 cd) 2007-10-02 MakeMusic Finale 2008 for Mac (3 cd) 2007/10/02 Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID 1DVD 2007-10-05 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.2 for Mac ------------------------------------------------------- 2007/09/29 Autodesk Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac (1 dvd) 2007/09/25 FXpansion GURU 1.1.280 for Mac (1 dvd) 2007/09/14 Sorenson Squeeze Compression Suite 4.5.3 for Mac 2007/09/09 Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel (1 dvd) MapleSoft Maple 11.01.303882 Pro for Mac (1 cd) Roxio Popcorn 3 for Mac (1 cd) Vertus Fluid Mask 3.0.1 for Mac -------------------------------...

Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, MacDrive 7.0.10, Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel, Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID, Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac, FXpansion GURU 1.1.280 for Mac, Roxio P
Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, MacDrive 7.0.10, Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel, Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID, Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac, FXpansion GURU 1.1.280 for Mac, Roxio Popcorn 3 for Mac, MapleSoft Maple 11.01.303882 Pro for Mac, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/10/15, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/ MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' please send e-mail to : ola 'AT' mail 'DOT' gr , ola3 'AT' mailbox 'DOT' gr ...

Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, MacDrive 7.0.10, Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel, VIENNA INSTRUMENTS VIENNA SYMPHONIC LIBRARIES, Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID, Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac
Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, MacDrive 7.0.10, Apple Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.10 for Mac Intel, VIENNA INSTRUMENTS VIENNA SYMPHONIC LIBRARIES, Propellerheads.Reason.v4.0.HYBRID, Maya Unlimited 2008 for Mac, FXpansion GURU 1.1.280 for Mac, Roxio Popcorn 3 for Mac, MapleSoft Maple 11.01.303882 Pro for Mac, other Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/10/15, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' please send e-mail to : ola 'AT' mail 'DOT...

Does an app run Mac O X 10.4 when it has been built on Mac OS 10. 3+
Hello. I don't have Mac OS X 10.4 yet, my application is built on Mac OS X 10.3.9, does The application can run properly on Mac OS 10.4 ? Thanks ming --------------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe, e-mail: wx-users-unsubscribe@lists.wxwidgets.org For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help@lists.wxwidgets.org Hi Ming, Yes, almost everything should work without modification. I only found one thing in Tiger that worked differently than Panther, and it was easy to fix once I got a complete report of what was going on. HTH,...

It's a Mac, Mac, Mac World
I wonder how the Windows users would like my (ab)normal Microsoft-free world: My business: all Mac, no PCs. My dentist, family physician and urologist are all Mac. No PCs. Went to Sir Speedy today for more bus. cards and some binding: all Mac (no surprise there). My daughter's three new college room mates have emailed her. Two have PowerBooks and one has an eMac. (She has a G5 iMac.) I never even see a PC unless I am at the public library or a store using a Windows POS unit. It never was intentional. I don't scout a place to see what frickin' computer they use. Just happened. Kind of weird. -- Arf! Old CSMAer Nice! At work I'm stuck on Windows, plus at home my roommate and girlfrield both use Windows. Good thing is I have my ibook at work and both my roommate and gf are getting Macs after their Dell's are paid off. They use Mac's at work and see how my PowerMac at home works while their PeeCee's hose daily. They hate Windows now :) So i'm getting there :) Alex "OldCSMAer" <olddog@kennelsINVALID.com> wrote in message news:olddog-F4AC87.15141003082005@newsclstr01.news.prodigy.com... >I wonder how the Windows users would like my (ab)normal Microsoft-free > world: > > My business: all Mac, no PCs. My dentist, family physician and > urologist are all Mac. No PCs. > > Went to Sir Speedy today for more bus. cards and some binding: all Mac > (no surprise there). > > My dau...

How do I transfer a POPfile's settings from a 10.3.9 PPC Mac to a 10.5 Intel Mac?
Anyone familiar with transfering POPfile's <http://popfile.sourceforge.net/> settings between two Macs? What files and folders must I copy? Any additional tinkering needed? TIA, Jamie Kahn Genet -- If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate. Jamie Kahn Genet <jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz> wrote: > Anyone familiar with transfering POPfile's > <http://popfile.sourceforge.net/> settings between two Macs? What files > and folders must I copy? Any additional tinkering needed? > > TIA, > Jamie Kahn Genet Just to clarif...

Darwin flaws survive in Apple's Mac OS X
http://news.cnet.com/Darwin-flaws-survive-in-Apples-Mac-OS-X/2100-1002_3-5540955.html January 18, 2005 5:40 PM PST Darwin flaws survive in Apple's Mac OS X By Robert Lemos Staff Writer, CNET News A source-code audit of the open-source operating system from which Apple Computer borrowed much of the code for Mac OS X revealed four vulnerabilities of varying severity in Apple's software, a security company said Monday. The flaws in Darwin affect Mac OS X version 10.3--dubbed Panther--and are caused by memory errors in the kernel, according to an advisory released by ImmunitySec, the security company that found the flaws. "In terms of criticalness, this kind of bug mostly affects remote systems with multiple users," said David Aitel, founder and security consultant with ImmunitySec, adding that since Mac OS X is most often used on the desktop, the flaws will not be overly important on most people's systems. The company originally found the flaws in June and published them to a private list of customers but did not notify Apple. It published the flaws on Monday, after presenting them at a seminar. Apple confirmed that it had not been told of the flaws and said it was analyzing the vulnerabilities but would not elaborate. ImmunitySec found the flaws by analyzing the publicly available source code of the Darwin operating system, which implements a variant of Unix known as BSD. Darwin forms the core of Apple's modern Mac OS X operating syst...

Web resources about - Access Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups from non-Apple Mac machines? - comp.sys.mac.apps

Elgato releases first non-Apple Thunderbolt cable
Apple’s monopoly on Thunderbolt cables is over, because Elgato entered the space today with its own flavor of the tech aptly titled “ Elgato’s ...

Non-Apple Tablets Maintain Small Market Share - Ina Fried - News - AllThingsD
A new study shows that just 1.2 million non-Apple tablets were sold at U.S. retail stores during the first 10 months of 2011. And the biggest ...

First The iPad 2, Now Apple’s Non-Retina MacBook Pro Could Soon Face Extinction
Apple is expected to end production on the 13-inch non-Retina MacBook Pro. In doing so, the company will unveil thinner models equipped with ...

Back-to-school Mac, iPad sales strong as non-Apple tablets struggle
Back-to-school sales have been particularly strong for Apple this year, with both the Mac and iPad proving popular, while non-Apple tablets have ...

Non-Apple companies hold iWatch trademark in U.S., U.K., China
Apple faces trademark trouble in the U.S., U.K., parts of Europe, and China, where other companies hold the trademark for the name "iWatch." ...

Apple Watch and Apple Pay attract non-Apple converts at CTIA show
LAS VEGAS Announcements of the Apple Watch and Apple Pay on Tuesday caught the attention of hundreds of IT professionals at a keynote presentation ...

Apple denies pulling non-Apple Music artists from iTunes
After one indie musician claims Apple tried to bully him into signing up for Apple Music, the company says that is not so.

Non-Apple players competing for China educational tablet market
... for "e-backpack" tablet PC, sources from the upstream supply chain expect China's education market to become the new battlefield for non-Apple ...

Non-Apple tablets surpass iPad for first time in global marketshare
Non-Apple tablets have collectively surpassed the iPad for the first time in terms of worldwide marketshare, claims research firm Canalys. During ...

Kanex makes first non-Apple Thunderbolt cable, increases number of suppliers to... two
Kanex is releasing the first non-Apple branded Thunderbolt cable. However, if you were looking for something shorter and cheaper than Cupertino's ...