App Store apps are no longer "Free"

As of yesterday apps in the Mac App Store and iOS Store with no initial
charge are no longer marked as "Free". Instead, the button is "Get".

--
Oh! I thought they smelled bad on the *outside*!
0
Lewis

Hi Lewis,

On 2014-11-20 23:47:03 +0000, Lewis said:
> As of yesterday apps in the Mac App Store and iOS Store with no initial
> charge are no longer marked as "Free". Instead, the button is "Get".

this is because there were complaints that "free" apps were then
requiring in-app-purchases, making them no longer free. You still get
them "free" as they were. And they're still as unusable without the
in-app-purchases. That was changed because some people seem to be too
dumb to read the full page. It's always mentioned whether or not an app
has or requires in-app-purchases to work.
--
cul8er

Paul
paul.foerster@gmx.net

0
iso
11/21/2014 4:35:24 PM
In article <cd97ucFi0bdU1@mid.individual.net>,
 Paul F�rster <paul.foerster@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi Lewis,
>
> On 2014-11-20 23:47:03 +0000, Lewis said:
> > As of yesterday apps in the Mac App Store and iOS Store with no initial
> > charge are no longer marked as "Free". Instead, the button is "Get".
>
> this is because there were complaints that "free" apps were then
> requiring in-app-purchases, making them no longer free. You still get
> them "free" as they were. And they're still as unusable without the
> in-app-purchases. That was changed because some people seem to be too
> dumb to read the full page. It's always mentioned whether or not an app
> has or requires in-app-purchases to work.

Interesting, this seems to have happened just on the heels of the South
Park episode about the kids becoming addicted to a "free" mobile game
that cost them lots of money from in-app purchases. In the TV show, this
was a conspiracy by Canada.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
> Hi Lewis,

> On 2014-11-20 23:47:03 +0000, Lewis said:
>> As of yesterday apps in the Mac App Store and iOS Store with no initial
>> charge are no longer marked as "Free". Instead, the button is "Get".

> this is because there were complaints

I seriously doubt that. The EU namby pamby regulatory commission doesn't
count as "complaints".

> that "free" apps were then
> requiring in-app-purchases, making them no longer free. You still get
> them "free" as they were. And they're still as unusable without the
> in-app-purchases. That was changed because some people seem to be too
> dumb to read the full page. It's always mentioned whether or not an app
> has or requires in-app-purchases to work.

Name a single app that requires in-app purchases to work?

--
'If you sow dragons' teeth, you should get dragons. Not fighting
skeletons. What did it say on the packet?' 'I don't know! The myth never
On 2014-11-22 15:41:12 +0000, Lewis <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> said:

> Okay, so one time? In band camp? Paul Förster <paul.foerster@gmx.net>
> was all, like:
>> Hi Lewis,
>
>> On 2014-11-20 23:47:03 +0000, Lewis said:
>>> As of yesterday apps in the Mac App Store and iOS Store with no initial
>>> charge are no longer marked as "Free". Instead, the button is "Get".
>
>> this is because there were complaints
>
> I seriously doubt that. The EU namby pamby regulatory commission doesn't
> count as "complaints".
>
>> that "free" apps were then
>> requiring in-app-purchases, making them no longer free. You still get
>> them "free" as they were. And they're still as unusable without the
>> in-app-purchases. That was changed because some people seem to be too
>> dumb to read the full page. It's always mentioned whether or not an app
>> has or requires in-app-purchases to work.
>
> Name a single app that requires in-app purchases to work?

Burner, after the 7 day trial.
<http://www.burnerapp.com>
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/Burner/id505800761?mt=8>

....and strangely enough, if I am not mistaken, I read the word "Free"
there. So I guess the app and the first 7 days are free, then you pay
through the nose to carry on using it.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

0
Savageduck
11/22/2014 10:06:33 PM
Savageduck <savageduck1@{removespam}me.com> wrote:
> > Name a single app that requires in-app purchases to work?
>
> Burner, after the 7 day trial.
> <http://www.burnerapp.com>
> <https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/Burner/id505800761?mt=8>

This is a Mac group. Mac example, please.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
0
me
11/23/2014 6:43:55 PM
On 2014-11-23 18:43:55 +0000, me@home.spamsucks.ca (Király) said:

> Savageduck <savageduck1@{removespam}me.com> wrote:
>>> Name a single app that requires in-app purchases to work?
>>
>> Burner, after the 7 day trial.
>> <http://www.burnerapp.com>
>> <https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/Burner/id505800761?mt=8>
>
> This is a Mac group. Mac example, please.

"App" seemed pretty generic to me when it was used in that question.
Also considered was available via an Apple sales venue, the iTunes App
Store.

--
Regards,

Savageduck