f



Apple Mail: Rules, mailing lists, and From account

I'm using Apple Mail 2.0.5 in OS X 10.4.3.    I subscribe to multiple
mailing lists using a different account than my main email account (to
reduce spam and allow me to check my mail faster on the road).   

I also use rules to move mail messages to folder On My Mac.

Each rule is structured like this:
  If ANY 
      To or From or CC  Contains (the mailing list sender)
  Perform:
      Move message to mailbox XXX
      Stop evaluating rules.

Unfortunately, whenever I hit "Reply" to one of these mailing list
messages, Mail chooses the wrong account to reply from.  It chooses the
first account in my Accounts list, rather than the account the mail was
delivered to.

FYI, I have "Send new mail from : Account of last viewed mailbox"
selected.

I'm pretty sure that under OS X 10.3, Mail would reply with the correct
account.

This is driving me nuts.   Anyone else have this problem?

-- 
To send email, remove the invalid and nospams.
0
md03NOSPAM (45)
12/10/2005 4:33:07 PM
comp.sys.mac.apps 21416 articles. 3 followers. xxx613 (1334) is leader. Post Follow

6 Replies
566 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 10

In article 
<1h7ci6y.1ynu6yk1eretwsN%md03NOSPAM@xochiNOSPAM.com.invalid>,
 md03NOSPAM@xochiNOSPAM.com.invalid (Michael Diehr) wrote:

> This is driving me nuts.   Anyone else have this problem?

Nope.

-- 
"There are no significant bugs in our released software that any significant
number of users want fixed." Bill Gates

Source: Focus Magazine, nr.43, pages 206-212, (October 23, 1995)
0
Elijah
12/10/2005 6:23:17 PM
More info -- if I set the "Send new mail from: " account to my mailing
list email account, Mail will send replies from this account for mail
that has been filtered to a mailbox on my mac, but it will also use the
correct account if I'm replying to mail that is still in my IMAP box.
So that's more tolerable.    Still annoying though.

So, other folks that are using Mail 2.0.5 :    If you receive a message
sent to IMAP account Y (where Y is not the first account listed in your
accounts screen) and set a rule to move the mail to a mailbox On My Mac,
when you reply to this message, you get the reply sent from your Y
account?  I so, what setting do you have for your "Send new mail from:"
?
0
md03NOSPAM
12/10/2005 6:48:55 PM
Michael Diehr <md03NOSPAM@xochiNOSPAM.com.invalid> wrote:

> More info -- if I set the "Send new mail from: " account to my mailing
> list email account, Mail will send replies from this account for mail
> that has been filtered to a mailbox on my mac, but it will also use the
> correct account if I'm replying to mail that is still in my IMAP box.
> So that's more tolerable.    Still annoying though.

I spoke to soon.    This setting is not tolerable, as it causes any New
message I create to be sent from the wrong mailbox.

-- 
To send email, remove the invalid and nospams.
0
md03NOSPAM
12/10/2005 6:49:54 PM
In article
<1h7ci6y.1ynu6yk1eretwsN%md03NOSPAM@xochiNOSPAM.com.invalid>, Michael
Diehr <md03NOSPAM@xochiNOSPAM.com.invalid> wrote:

> This is driving me nuts.   Anyone else have this problem?

I'm not seeing it, but all my accounts are POP, not IMAP.

djb

-- 
"I'll do the stupid thing first and then you shy people follow..." - Frank Zappa
0
Dave
12/10/2005 7:10:06 PM
Ok, I found the bug.

Clue 1: If I disable the first rule and move the message manually from
my IMAP box to the folder on my mac, subsequent replies would come from
the right address.

Clue 2: If i re-created the first rule (from scratch, not by using the
copy button) and enabled it, then it starts working properly.

I opened the two rules in a text editor and compared. They are
identical, except for one difference. The old rule (the broken one) has
two extra lines:
  <key>ActiveSyncState</key>
  <string>1</string>

Removing these lines solves the problem.

How bizarre. Does anyone know what the "ActiveSyncState" key is for? 

I'm wondering if this is garbage left over from Eudora Mail Cleaner
(which I used to import these rules a long time ago...)


Michael Diehr <md03NOSPAM@xochiNOSPAM.com.invalid> wrote:

> I'm using Apple Mail 2.0.5 in OS X 10.4.3.    I subscribe to multiple
> mailing lists using a different account than my main email account (to
> reduce spam and allow me to check my mail faster on the road).   
> 
> I also use rules to move mail messages to folder On My Mac.
> 
> Each rule is structured like this:
>   If ANY 
>       To or From or CC  Contains (the mailing list sender)
>   Perform:
>       Move message to mailbox XXX
>       Stop evaluating rules.
> 
> Unfortunately, whenever I hit "Reply" to one of these mailing list
> messages, Mail chooses the wrong account to reply from.  It chooses the
> first account in my Accounts list, rather than the account the mail was
> delivered to.
> 
> FYI, I have "Send new mail from : Account of last viewed mailbox"
> selected.
> 
> I'm pretty sure that under OS X 10.3, Mail would reply with the correct
> account.
> 
> This is driving me nuts.   Anyone else have this problem?


-- 
To send email, remove the invalid and nospams.
0
md03NOSPAM
12/11/2005 5:24:15 AM
Looks like I spoke too soon.

Woke up this morning to find that messages to my 2nd account that had
been filtered to a folder on my mac, were ALSO filtered to a mailbox on
my IMAP account (INBOX/mymailinglistnname).    

I'm absolutely sure I never told it to create a new mailbox on my IMAP
account.   Bizarre.

Seems like some sort of weird corruption going on, where Mail is getting
confused between local folders and folders on my IMAP server?   


Michael Diehr <md03NOSPAM@xochiNOSPAM.com.invalid> wrote:

> Ok, I found the bug.
> 
> Clue 1: If I disable the first rule and move the message manually from
> my IMAP box to the folder on my mac, subsequent replies would come from
> the right address.
> 
> Clue 2: If i re-created the first rule (from scratch, not by using the
> copy button) and enabled it, then it starts working properly.
> 
> I opened the two rules in a text editor and compared. They are
> identical, except for one difference. The old rule (the broken one) has
> two extra lines:
>   <key>ActiveSyncState</key>
>   <string>1</string>
> 
> Removing these lines solves the problem.
> 
> How bizarre. Does anyone know what the "ActiveSyncState" key is for? 
> 
> I'm wondering if this is garbage left over from Eudora Mail Cleaner
> (which I used to import these rules a long time ago...)
> 
> 
> Michael Diehr <md03NOSPAM@xochiNOSPAM.com.invalid> wrote:
> 
> > I'm using Apple Mail 2.0.5 in OS X 10.4.3.    I subscribe to multiple
> > mailing lists using a different account than my main email account (to
> > reduce spam and allow me to check my mail faster on the road).   
> > 
> > I also use rules to move mail messages to folder On My Mac.
> > 
> > Each rule is structured like this:
> >   If ANY 
> >       To or From or CC  Contains (the mailing list sender)
> >   Perform:
> >       Move message to mailbox XXX
> >       Stop evaluating rules.
> > 
> > Unfortunately, whenever I hit "Reply" to one of these mailing list
> > messages, Mail chooses the wrong account to reply from.  It chooses the
> > first account in my Accounts list, rather than the account the mail was
> > delivered to.
> > 
> > FYI, I have "Send new mail from : Account of last viewed mailbox"
> > selected.
> > 
> > I'm pretty sure that under OS X 10.3, Mail would reply with the correct
> > account.
> > 
> > This is driving me nuts.   Anyone else have this problem?


-- 
To send email, remove the invalid and nospams.
0
md03NOSPAM
12/11/2005 5:18:23 PM
Reply: