Appleworks won't print shared printer 10.4.8

Just recently (within weeks) updated to 10.4.8 combo updater.

I am still using Appleworks 6.29. Yes I know Apple has largely orphaned
it. A shame as it was a nice basic software package. Handwriting on wall
may indicate I should just abandon Appleworks.

It has refused to print to a shared printer (not directly connected to
this G4 iMac but another running 10.4.8). It simply does not see the
shared printer.  Eudora 6.24 on same Mac does see remote shared printer
& prints fine. Shared printer shows up fine in list of printers in
printer setup dialogs and System Prefs Print & Fax dialogs.

Both G4 Macs are running 10.4.8.

G4 933MHz QuickSilver
G4 iMac 1.25GHz

Appleworks 6.29
Printer is HP PhotoSmart inkjet connected via USB to 933 MHz Mac

Curiously when I tried Nisus Writer Express (which does see the shared
printer) it crashed as soon as I attempted remote shared printer to
print.

Both programs (Nisus & Appleworks) work & print fine from G4 933MHz with
directly connected USB printer.

I think Appleworks printing via shared printer did work fine under
10.4.7 (not sure) but I know did work in past perhaps as far back 10.4.3.

Perplexed, and I have no idea how to try to get it to work.

A bug in 10.4.8 or just old Appleworks code not working with newer OS?

My daughter still uses Appleworks as I do for our minimal needs.

Thanks for any comments or hints.

Morenuf
--
morenuf@nobodyhome.com.invalid
0

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 06:05:10 +0000, morenuf wrote:

> It has refused to print to a shared printer (not directly connected to
> this G4 iMac but another running 10.4.8). It simply does not see the
> shared printer.

1 data point: After exhaustive testing (1 AppleWorks document) printing
from an Intel iMac (10.4.8) to a remote Epson C64 connected to a Sawtooth
G4 (10.4.8), I observe no problems. All this really proves is that
AppleWorks CAN print to a remote printer under Mac OS X 10.4.8, so I guess
you're in for some troubleshooting...

--
schram@webenet.net is a filtered spam magnet. Email replies may get lost.
Try <http://public.xdi.org/=chris.schram> instead.

Chris
10/18/2006 5:53:07 AM
In article <pan.2006.10.18.05.53.02.331462@webenet.net>,
 Chris Schram <schram@webenet.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 06:05:10 +0000, morenuf wrote:
>
> > It has refused to print to a shared printer (not directly connected to
> > this G4 iMac but another running 10.4.8). It simply does not see the
> > shared printer.
>
> 1 data point: After exhaustive testing (1 AppleWorks document) printing
> from an Intel iMac (10.4.8) to a remote Epson C64 connected to a Sawtooth
> G4 (10.4.8), I observe no problems. All this really proves is that
> AppleWorks CAN print to a remote printer under Mac OS X 10.4.8, so I guess
> you're in for some troubleshooting...
>
> --

Thanks much for reply. It is encouraging your Appleworks does print. I
have not found any mention of this problem on troubleshooting sites.

I guess there is something weird with my specific setup. I will try
exhaustively trashing prefs, reinstall Appleworks etc.

The fact Eudora & Textedit & others DO see shared printer indicates the
problems lie with Appleworks somewhere.

Thanks again.

Morenuf
--
morenuf@nobodyhome.com.invalid
0
morenuf
10/18/2006 3:21:35 PM
In article
<morenuf-3F8BD9.11251618102006@network-065-024-007-027.columbus.rr.com>,
 morenuf <morenuf@nobodyhome.com.invalid> wrote:

> In article <pan.2006.10.18.05.53.02.331462@webenet.net>,
>  Chris Schram <schram@webenet.net> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 06:05:10 +0000, morenuf wrote:
> >
> > > It has refused to print to a shared printer (not directly connected to
> > > this G4 iMac but another running 10.4.8). It simply does not see the
> > > shared printer.
> >
> > 1 data point: After exhaustive testing (1 AppleWorks document) printing
> > from an Intel iMac (10.4.8) to a remote Epson C64 connected to a Sawtooth
> > G4 (10.4.8), I observe no problems. All this really proves is that
> > AppleWorks CAN print to a remote printer under Mac OS X 10.4.8, so I guess
> > you're in for some troubleshooting...
> >
> > --
> >
> Thanks much for reply. It is encouraging your Appleworks does print. I
> have not found any mention of this problem on troubleshooting sites.
>
> I guess there is something weird with my specific setup. I will try
> exhaustively trashing prefs, reinstall Appleworks etc.
>
> The fact Eudora & Textedit & others DO see shared printer indicates the
> problems lie with Appleworks somewhere.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Morenuf

2 hours later:  I now have Appleworks 6.29 printing via shared printer
under 10.4.8.

Thanks for your encouragement that it was working for you.

I'd tried, trashing prefs & plist, removing & adding printer to printer
list (Print & FAX) PMU & PRAM resets.  All failed to correct this
printing problem.

Finally tried trashing again all Appleworks preferences & plists, and
trashed the entire Appleworks application & folder related files and did
complete reinstall of Appleworks 6.29 on the recalcitrant iMac, and NOW
it PRINTS successfully finding the shared printer under 10.4.8.

Something somewhere got corrupted in Appleworks. But working now.

I still have a problem with Nisus Writer Express crashing with the
shared printer when attempting a print but that is another battle.

Thanks again. I persevered when I knew yours was working.

Morenuf
--
morenuf@nobodyhome.com.invalid
0
morenuf
10/18/2006 6:02:23 PM
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 19:02:23 +0100, morenuf wrote
(in article
<morenuf-211D4D.14060518102006@network-065-024-007-
028.columbus.rr.com>):

> I still have a problem with Nisus Writer Express crashing with the
> shared printer when attempting a print but that is another battle.

You may want to bring this up at the discussion forum for Nisus Writer
Express which is in the support section of the Nisus web-site:

<http://www.nisus.com/>

Rather handily Nisus programmers participate in the forum.

--
Patrick
Brighton, UK

<http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>