Best app. to run PC apps through Mac?

Have two Macs (OS 9.2.2) networked with a Compaq.  I need to run the
PC's IE remotely via my Mac (as a client).  DAVE seems soley devoted to
file sharing.  Again, running OS 9.2.2 so can't take advantage of Remote
Desktop Connection Client for Mac.  Any suggestions?
0
dcallaha (38)
7/15/2004 6:06:24 PM
comp.sys.mac.apps 21416 articles. 2 followers. xxx613 (1334) is leader. Post Follow

"eMac" <dcallaha@infionline.net> wrote in message
> Have two Macs (OS 9.2.2) networked with a Compaq.  I need to run the
> PC's IE remotely via my Mac (as a client).  DAVE seems soley devoted to
> file sharing.  Again, running OS 9.2.2 so can't take advantage of Remote
> Desktop Connection Client for Mac.  Any suggestions?

Virtual PC

0
Warchild
7/15/2004 7:28:35 PM
eMac:
> Have two Macs (OS 9.2.2) networked with a Compaq.  I need to run the
> PC's IE remotely via my Mac (as a client).  DAVE seems soley devoted to
> file sharing.  Again, running OS 9.2.2 so can't take advantage of Remote
> Desktop Connection Client for Mac.  Any suggestions?

*****

Timbuktu works for me under OS X, and did under OS 9 as well
<http://www.netopia.com/software/products/tb2/mac/index.html>, but I
don't know if version 6.x is still available. Version 6.x runs under OS
9.x, but the latest version, 7.0.3, requires 10.2.8 or later. Give 'em
a call.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
0
eMac <dcallaha@infionline.net> wrote:

> Have two Macs (OS 9.2.2) networked with a Compaq.  I need to run the
> PC's IE remotely via my Mac (as a client).  DAVE seems soley devoted to
> file sharing.  Again, running OS 9.2.2 so can't take advantage of Remote
> Desktop Connection Client for Mac.  Any suggestions?

There's a free solution called VNC. The main development for it happens
here: <http://www.realvnc.com/>, but it's GPLd, so there are a zillion
spin-off projects you can find at <http://sourceforge.net/>, by
searching for 'vnc.'

A quick web search shows me this OS 9 VNC how-to:
<http://netmath.math.uiuc.edu/VNC-os9.htm>.
0
usenet
7/15/2004 7:54:48 PM
dcallaha@infionline.net (eMac) wrote in message news:<1ggyxoc.9se1o61ha5ki0N%dcallaha@infionline.net>...
> Have two Macs (OS 9.2.2) networked with a Compaq.  I need to run the
> PC's IE remotely via my Mac (as a client).  DAVE seems soley devoted to
> file sharing.  Again, running OS 9.2.2 so can't take advantage of Remote
> Desktop Connection Client for Mac.  Any suggestions?

Get VNC for the PC and Mac's.  There were versions for the Classic Mac
so you should be able to find them and versions for the PC.  Start
searching here:  (http://www.realvnc.com/).  VNC stands for virtual
networking computing.  It remotes out the screen and keyboard of a
server computer to any client that logs into the server.  It helps if
the screen on the Mac's is about the same size or later than the PC.

     --jim
0
vze35xda
7/16/2004 12:27:36 AM
Jim Schimpf <vze35xda@verizon.net> wrote:

> dcallaha@infionline.net (eMac) wrote in message
> news:<1ggyxoc.9se1o61ha5ki0N%dcallaha@infionline.net>... > Have two Macs
> (OS 9.2.2) networked with a Compaq.  I need to run the > PC's IE remotely
> via my Mac (as a client).  DAVE seems soley devoted to > file sharing.
> Again, running OS 9.2.2 so can't take advantage of Remote > Desktop
> Connection Client for Mac.  Any suggestions?
>
> Get VNC for the PC and Mac's.  There were versions for the Classic Mac so
> you should be able to find them and versions for the PC.  Start searching
> here:  (http://www.realvnc.com/).  VNC stands for virtual networking
> computing.  It remotes out the screen and keyboard of a server computer to
> any client that logs into the server.  It helps if the screen on the Mac's
> is about the same size or later than the PC.
>
>      --jim

Superb advice from a couple of you - thank you. Will check it out
tomorrow. Truly, dan
0
dcallaha
7/16/2004 1:22:56 AM
"eMac" <dcallaha@infionline.net> wrote in message
> Have two Macs (OS 9.2.2) networked with a Compaq.  I need to run the
> PC's IE remotely via my Mac (as a client).  DAVE seems soley devoted to
> file sharing.  Again, running OS 9.2.2 so can't take advantage of Remote
> Desktop Connection Client for Mac.  Any suggestions?

VNC? Could install a VNC server on the PC.

Cheers,
Ian

0
Ian
7/16/2004 10:47:07 AM
eMac <dcallaha@infionline.net> wrote:

> Have two Macs (OS 9.2.2) networked with a Compaq.  I need to run the
> PC's IE remotely via my Mac (as a client).  DAVE seems soley devoted to
> file sharing.  Again, running OS 9.2.2 so can't take advantage of Remote
> Desktop Connection Client for Mac.  Any suggestions?

in addition to the previously mentioned freewares or Timbuktu, you can
try Astroview and Astroshare, two associated utilities that work on both
Pc and mac (also on Palm!) and allow you to view the screen and remotely
control another mac/PC from yours. You can also e. g. discuss with the
person on the other side with the microphone/loudspeaker of your
machine...
When AV and AS went out for the mac I bought a couple of licenses for $5
each, now it may be $10 or more but it is still quite cheap. Basically I
think AV/AS give you roughly the same as VNC with a much easier setup,
and on more machines.

Herv�

--
Fr�d�rique & Herv� Sainct, h.sainct@laposte.net
Fr�d�rique's initial is missing in front of the above address