Can a printer+airport be a "network" printer?

Situation:  We have an Airport Extreme, and plugged into it is
an HP LaserJet 1300 printer.  When we first got it, we had two
Mac Powerbooks, and I set up the printer from PB1. With only a
bit of twiddling, we got PB2 to use it.  So far, so good.

But then, one day, it refused to work from PB2.  Huh? With a bit
more experimenting, we discovered that when we opened the lid of
PB1, PB2 could use the printer.  When we closed PB1's lid, PB2
lost contact with the printer.

Recently, I upgraded a nearby linux box to the latest rev (of
knoppix, FWIW). When I started up the CUPS stuff, it discovered
the HP printer on the airport and used it with no problem. Then
a few days later, its queued jobs for the printer just hung. No
tweaking could make it work, and there were no error messages,
until out of suspicion, I opened PB1's lid - and the linux box
could instantly use the printer. I closed PB1's lid, and the
printer went zombie. Now PB1 sits there open even when not in
use, so that the printer will keep working.

So the printer isn't a "network" printer. It appears to be the
"property", in some sense, of PB1.  It only works if PB1 is in
the area and is alive.  This is sorta frustrating, because one
of the main points of a PB (or any laptop) is that we can pick
it up and carry it away.  But when we do this, the airport's
printer stops working for the other machines.

Funny thing is that this isn't true of the Airport.  It was also
configured from PB1, but it works for PB2 and other machines even
when PB1 is shut down or away.  It's only the printer that is
somehow dependent on PB1.

So.  Is this The Way It Works?  Or is there some way to make
the printer a true "network" printer that works regardless of
which of the various machines are in the vicinity?  Digging
around in what docs I've found for the airport hasn't turned
up any clues.  Just glowing comments on how useful it is to
have a printer attached to the Airport, with no warning that
you've gotta have its controlling Mac nearby or it won't work
for anyone.

(We don't have a non-portable Mac, so that's not an option.
Somehow, we can't see buying a Mac Mini + keyboard + mouse
+ display just to keep the printer alive.  I do have a 4-port
KVM switch, actually, but still ... ;-)
0
John

In article <6IydnSHJ4-zv8EbbnZ2dnUVZ_jCdnZ2d@speakeasy.net>,
 John Chambers <JohnChambers@speakeasy.net> wrote:

> Situation:  We have an Airport Extreme, and plugged into it is
> an HP LaserJet 1300 printer.  When we first got it, we had two
> Mac Powerbooks, and I set up the printer from PB1. With only a
> bit of twiddling, we got PB2 to use it.  So far, so good.
>
> But then, one day, it refused to work from PB2.  Huh? With a bit
> more experimenting, we discovered that when we opened the lid of
> PB1, PB2 could use the printer.  When we closed PB1's lid, PB2
> lost contact with the printer.
>
> Recently, I upgraded a nearby linux box to the latest rev (of
> knoppix, FWIW). When I started up the CUPS stuff, it discovered
> the HP printer on the airport and used it with no problem. Then
> a few days later, its queued jobs for the printer just hung. No
> tweaking could make it work, and there were no error messages,
> until out of suspicion, I opened PB1's lid - and the linux box
> could instantly use the printer. I closed PB1's lid, and the
> printer went zombie. Now PB1 sits there open even when not in
> use, so that the printer will keep working.
>
> So the printer isn't a "network" printer. It appears to be the
> "property", in some sense, of PB1.  It only works if PB1 is in
> the area and is alive.  This is sorta frustrating, because one
> of the main points of a PB (or any laptop) is that we can pick
> it up and carry it away.  But when we do this, the airport's
> printer stops working for the other machines.
>
> Funny thing is that this isn't true of the Airport.  It was also
> configured from PB1, but it works for PB2 and other machines even
> when PB1 is shut down or away.  It's only the printer that is
> somehow dependent on PB1.
>
> So.  Is this The Way It Works?  Or is there some way to make
> the printer a true "network" printer that works regardless of
> which of the various machines are in the vicinity?  Digging
> around in what docs I've found for the airport hasn't turned
> up any clues.  Just glowing comments on how useful it is to
> have a printer attached to the Airport, with no warning that
> you've gotta have its controlling Mac nearby or it won't work
> for anyone.
>
> (We don't have a non-portable Mac, so that's not an option.
> Somehow, we can't see buying a Mac Mini + keyboard + mouse
> + display just to keep the printer alive.  I do have a 4-port
> KVM switch, actually, but still ... ;-)

Well I have an HP 1300 postscript printer on my 802.11n Airport
Extreme (AEBS) and it is working well for all connected Macs in
the house.  It does not depend on any of the Macs staying on-line.

Prior to the 802.11n Airport Extreme, I had the HP 1300 connected
to the prior 802.11g Airport Extreme and it worked on that one
just as easily.

In Applications -> Utilities -> Printer Setup Utility
    -> Default Browser tab
I see "hp LaserJet 1300" "Bonjour"

If I single click on "hp LaserJet 1300" the following information
is displayed

       Name: hp LaserJet 1300         (Name I gave printer on AEBS)
   Location: Airport Extreme 802.11n  (Name I gave to AEBS)
Print Using: HP LaserJet 1300 Series

So it seems to me that what you need to do is go to the Airport
Extreme base station (Applications -> Utilities -> Airport
Utility) and give your router a name you can recognize when you
see it.

And use the Applications -> Utilities -> Airport Utility to give
your printer a unique name.

Now using the Printer Setup Utility browse for your printer and
select the uniquely named printer being offered by the Airport
Extreme base station.

NOTE:  If you have multiple active routers in your home, then your
printer will not be visible via Bonjour on the other side of the
extra router(s).

For example having an existing router, like a broadband
modem/router combo, then adding a Wifi base station which also
happens to be a router.  Systems that talk to the broadband
modem/router combo will be in its own private subnet, and systems
that connect to the Wifi base station will be in their own private
subnet.  And Bonjour will not cross an active router to the other
subnet.

The best thing to do in a situation like this is to disable the
routing functions in the 2nd router and then you have a single
subnet where bonjour can be seen by everyone in the home.

If the Airport Extreme is the 802.11g model (flying saucer) _AND_
is the 2nd router which is NOT directly connected to the broadband
modem, then look for the "Distribute IP addresses" and disable it.

If using the new 802.11n Airport Extreme (flat square) _AND_ is
the 2nd router which is NOT directly connected to the broadband
modem, look for Internet -> Internet Connection -> Connection
Sharing: OFF (Bridge Mode).  You want to be in bridge mode.

IF YOUR Airport Extreme base station _IS_ the primary router in
your home, then ignore my ranting about not having multiple
routers, at least the stuff about disabling the AEBS.

                                    Bob Harris
0
Bob
9/3/2007 3:33:39 AM
John Chambers <JohnChambers@speakeasy.net> wrote:

> Situation:  We have an Airport Extreme, and plugged into it is
> an HP LaserJet 1300 printer.  When we first got it, we had two
> Mac Powerbooks, and I set up the printer from PB1. With only a
> bit of twiddling, we got PB2 to use it.  So far, so good.
>
> But then, one day, it refused to work from PB2.  Huh? With a bit
> more experimenting, we discovered that when we opened the lid of
> PB1, PB2 could use the printer.  When we closed PB1's lid, PB2
> lost contact with the printer.
>
> Recently, I upgraded a nearby linux box to the latest rev (of
> knoppix, FWIW). When I started up the CUPS stuff, it discovered
> the HP printer on the airport and used it with no problem. Then
> a few days later, its queued jobs for the printer just hung. No
> tweaking could make it work, and there were no error messages,
> until out of suspicion, I opened PB1's lid - and the linux box
> could instantly use the printer. I closed PB1's lid, and the
> printer went zombie. Now PB1 sits there open even when not in
> use, so that the printer will keep working.
>
> So the printer isn't a "network" printer. It appears to be the
> "property", in some sense, of PB1.  It only works if PB1 is in
> the area and is alive.  This is sorta frustrating, because one
> of the main points of a PB (or any laptop) is that we can pick
> it up and carry it away.  But when we do this, the airport's
> printer stops working for the other machines.

A possible explanation: if PB1 has Printer Sharing enabled, it might be
sharing the LaserJet 1300, and other computers might be using that
instance of the LaserJet instead of the "real" one on the Airport
Extreme.

On PB1, go into System Preferences > Sharing and make sure Printer
Sharing is turned off.

After you've done that, on every other computer, delete the previously
defined printer, and then add it back again. The only one that should be
visible is the actual printer on the Airport Extreme.

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz