Can Super Duper back up data on external drive to another external drive?

I'm running low on free space on my Imac, so I'm thinking of
transferring some of my project files onto an external La Cie drive.

Can Super Duper be set to back up the contents of both the Macintosh HD
and the project files on an external La Cie drive onto two other
external La Cie back-up drives?

I can't do this with Snow Leopard, but I wonder if I can do it when I
upgrade to Yosemite.  I was told by a Mac salesman that I can daisy
chain with Yosemite, and that my proposed setup would therefore work.

Tom Evans

0
Tom

Tom Evans <tomevans9890@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Can Super Duper be set to back up the contents of both the Macintosh HD
> and the project files on an external La Cie drive onto two other
> external La Cie back-up drives?

In two sessions - yes. First,  disk A to Disk X, then disk B to Disk Y.
In one session - maybe via using some scheduling software, Automator, or
the like - but not natively.

But SuperDuper requires that all drives are HFS-formatted; it cannot
deal with NTFS (the author did confirm this to me earlier) and probably
also not with FAT or other "foreign" file systems.

> I can't do this with Snow Leopard, but I wonder if I can do it when I
> upgrade to Yosemite.

What can't you do with SL? Please explain what you did and what you
expected to happen - and what happened instead.

> I was told by a Mac salesman that I can daisy
> chain with Yosemite, and that my proposed setup would therefore work.

I do not understand what you are talking about,,, sorry.

Christian

--
Christian F. Buser, Hohle Gasse 6, CH-5507 Mellingen (Switzerland)
Hilfe fuer Strassenkinder in Ghana: http://www.chance-for-children.org
On 2014-12-27 01:30:48 -0800, Christian said:

> Tom Evans <tomevans9890@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>
>> Can Super Duper be set to back up the contents of both the Macintosh HD
>> and the project files on an external La Cie drive onto two other
>> external La Cie back-up drives?
>
> In two sessions - yes. First,  disk A to Disk X, then disk B to Disk Y.
> In one session - maybe via using some scheduling software, Automator, or
> the like - but not natively.
>
> But SuperDuper requires that all drives are HFS-formatted; it cannot
> deal with NTFS (the author did confirm this to me earlier) and probably
> also not with FAT or other "foreign" file systems.
>
>> I can't do this with Snow Leopard, but I wonder if I can do it when I
>> upgrade to Yosemite.
>
> What can't you do with SL? Please explain what you did and what you
> expected to happen - and what happened instead.
>
> Christian

Thanks, Christian.

I found this video about Super Duper:
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT4ChaDgwnY).

After viewing the video, I've concluded that my proposal is too
complicated and therefore is too problematic.

So I'm going to abandon that idea, and instead, when my Imac gets full,
I'll get a local  Apple reseller to customize a new Mac in China with a
big hard drive installed in it, so that my source will be only one
drive instead of two.

That way, the source drives and the backup drives would all have the
saem storage capacity, and the backup process would be more
straightforward.

Tom

0
Tom
12/27/2014 4:34:31 PM
On 2014-12-27, Tom Evans <tomevans9890@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> So I'm going to abandon that idea, and instead, when my Imac gets full,
> I'll get a local  Apple reseller to customize a new Mac in China with a

Why have a middle man just to order a custom Mac? You could do that
yourself on Apple's own web site to be delivered to your door.

> big hard drive installed in it, so that my source will be only one
> drive instead of two.

Another option would be to replace the hard drive in the iMac with a
bigger one.

JR
0
Jolly
12/27/2014 4:44:42 PM
On 2014-12-27 08:44:42 -0800, Jolly Roger said:

> On 2014-12-27, Tom Evans <tomevans9890@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>>
>> So I'm going to abandon that idea, and instead, when my Imac gets full,
>> I'll get a local  Apple reseller to customize a new Mac in China with a
>
> Why have a middle man just to order a custom Mac? You could do that
> yourself on Apple's own web site to be delivered to your door.

I didn't know I could do that.

Also, I want to Apple resller to tune up my Mac for me, and copy the
data from it to the new Mac that I'd be buying.

>> big hard drive installed in it, so that my source will be only one
>> drive instead of two.
>
> Another option would be to replace the hard drive in the iMac with a
> bigger one.

I want to get a three-terabyte drive to replace the one-terabyte
computer drive I have so I don't have to go through this upgrade hassle
so often.

I can't do that by replacing my hard drive beccuse the Mactracker Web
site says my model (iMac11,3)  has a capacity of two terabytes.

Also, the tech man at my Apple reseller told me my Imac might not be
upgradeable for much longer and that the processor might be getting
close to death because the computer is a mid-2010 model, which is
almost five years old.

Tom Evans

0
Tom
12/27/2014 7:02:47 PM
Tom Evans <tomevans9890@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> On 2014-12-27 08:44:42 -0800, Jolly Roger said:
>
> > On 2014-12-27, Tom Evans <tomevans9890@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> >>
> >> So I'm going to abandon that idea, and instead, when my Imac gets full,
> >> I'll get a local  Apple reseller to customize a new Mac in China with a
> >
> > Why have a middle man just to order a custom Mac? You could do that
> > yourself on Apple's own web site to be delivered to your door.
>
> I didn't know I could do that.
>
> Also, I want to Apple resller to tune up my Mac for me, and copy the
> data from it to the new Mac that I'd be buying.
>
> >> big hard drive installed in it, so that my source will be only one
> >> drive instead of two.
> >
> > Another option would be to replace the hard drive in the iMac with a
> > bigger one.
>
> I want to get a three-terabyte drive to replace the one-terabyte
> computer drive I have so I don't have to go through this upgrade hassle
> so often.
>
> I can't do that by replacing my hard drive beccuse the Mactracker Web
> site says my model (iMac11,3)  has a capacity of two terabytes.

That's the largest capacity drive which Apple offered when they sold
that iMac, not the maximum capacity drive which can be installed.

According to http://macsales.com (Other World Computing), your iMac will
take a 6 TB drive, which is the largest they currently sell (the actual
limit will be higher). 3 TB is no problem.

> Also, the tech man at my Apple reseller told me my Imac might not be
> upgradeable for much longer and that the processor might be getting
> close to death because the computer is a mid-2010 model, which is
> almost five years old.

Your Apple reseller is trying to sell you a new computer, so take
anything he says with a grain of salt.

For iMacs, Yosemite (OS X 10.10) runs on Mid 2007 and later generations.
Support for Late 2006 iMacs was dropped by Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8) and
Early 2006 iMacs were dropped by Lion (OS X 10.7).

At some point Apple will drop support for more iMac models, but the
earliest that might happen is around October 2015, when OS X 10.11 is
released. Your model is new enough that it would almost certainly still
be supported by the next cutoff: there are four supported iMac
generations prior to your one which are at greater risk of being
dropped. Yours has many changes from the oldest supported ones (e.g.
newer CPU generation, newer graphics controller, higher maximum memory).

There may be other reasons to get a new iMac, e.g. the retina display of
the latest model, or hardware support for all the "Continuity" features
introduced in iOS 8 and Yosemite (if you also have iOS devices new
enough to support those features).

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz
On 2014-12-27 22:38:57 +0000, David Empson said:

> Tom Evans <tomevans9890@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>>> Why have a middle man just to order a custom Mac? You could do that
>>> yourself on Apple's own web site to be delivered to your door.
>>
>> I didn't know I could do that.
>>
>> Also, I want to Apple resller to tune up my Mac for me, and copy the
>> data from it to the new Mac that I'd be buying.

>>> Another option would be to replace the hard drive in the iMac with a
>>> bigger one.
>>
>> I want to get a three-terabyte drive to replace the one-terabyte
>> computer drive I have so I don't have to go through this upgrade hassle
>> so often.
>>
>> I can't do that by replacing my hard drive beccuse the Mactracker Web
>> site says my model (iMac11,3)  has a capacity of two terabytes.
>
> That's the largest capacity drive which Apple offered when they sold
> that iMac, not the maximum capacity drive which can be installed.
>
> According to http://macsales.com (Other World Computing), your iMac will
> take a 6 TB drive, which is the largest they currently sell (the actual
> limit will be higher). 3 TB is no problem.
>
>> Also, the tech man at my Apple reseller told me my Imac might not be
>> upgradeable for much longer and that the processor might be getting
>> close to death because the computer is a mid-2010 model, which is
>> almost five years old.
>
> Your Apple reseller is trying to sell you a new computer, so take
> anything he says with a grain of salt.
>
> For iMacs, Yosemite (OS X 10.10) runs on Mid 2007 and later generations.
> Support for Late 2006 iMacs was dropped by Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8) and
> Early 2006 iMacs were dropped by Lion (OS X 10.7).
>
> At some point Apple will drop support for more iMac models, but the
> earliest that might happen is around October 2015, when OS X 10.11 is
> released. Your model is new enough that it would almost certainly still
> be supported by the next cutoff: there are four supported iMac
> generations prior to your one which are at greater risk of being
> dropped. Yours has many changes from the oldest supported ones (e.g.
> newer CPU generation, newer graphics controller, higher maximum memory).
>
> There may be other reasons to get a new iMac, e.g. the retina display of
> the latest model, or hardware support for all the "Continuity" features
> introduced in iOS 8 and Yosemite (if you also have iOS devices new
> enough to support those features).

Thanks, David.

My secondary Imac is a late 2006 model.

Would it be worthwhile to upgrade it from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion system?

Tom Evans

0
Tom
1/10/2015 4:11:52 AM
Tom Evans <tomevans9890@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> On 2014-12-27 22:38:57 +0000, David Empson said:

[...]

> > For iMacs, Yosemite (OS X 10.10) runs on Mid 2007 and later generations.
> > Support for Late 2006 iMacs was dropped by Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8) and
> > Early 2006 iMacs were dropped by Lion (OS X 10.7).
> >
> > At some point Apple will drop support for more iMac models, but the
> > earliest that might happen is around October 2015, when OS X 10.11 is
> > released. Your model is new enough that it would almost certainly still
> > be supported by the next cutoff: there are four supported iMac
> > generations prior to your one which are at greater risk of being
> > dropped. Yours has many changes from the oldest supported ones (e.g.
> > newer CPU generation, newer graphics controller, higher maximum memory).
> >
> > There may be other reasons to get a new iMac, e.g. the retina display of
> > the latest model, or hardware support for all the "Continuity" features
> > introduced in iOS 8 and Yosemite (if you also have iOS devices new
> > enough to support those features).
>
> Thanks, David.
>
> My secondary Imac is a late 2006 model.
>
> Would it be worthwhile to upgrade it from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion
> system?

A Late 2006 iMac won't run Mountain Lion. It maxes out at Lion. As you
also have a newer iMac you are better off leaving the old one on Snow
Leopard (and thus able to run older PowerPC-only software) rather than
making it suffer with Lion.

The Mid 2007 is the oldest iMac generation that will run any of Mountain
Lion, Mavericks or Yosemite. (The minimum system requirements didn't
change with Mavericks or Yosemite.)

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz

Super Duper stopped automatically backing up my two external drives.
Super Duper stopped automatically backing up my two external drives. I have the latest version (2.8) and the latest Mac system software version. I tried deleting the scehduled back-ups and recreating them and restarting my Imac, but that didn't work. I tried to ask on the Shirt Pocket Web site, but there's no way to start a new thread, and the last published message there was from 2010. Super Duper will still clone when I press the "Copy Now" button. Tom Tom Evans <tomevans9890@yahoo.ca> wrote: > Super Duper stopped automatically backing up my...

need help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe fileneed help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe file
need help, my file folders from external drive and usb drive became exe file. my avg anti virus can detect it as trojan horse dropper agent.mqp. i dont want to remove the exe file yet because im afraid my files will be removed as well. can anyone give me another way to recover the files? -- wewet ------------------------------------------------------------------------ wewet's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/100316.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/virus-spyware/1184791.htm http://forums.techarena.in ...

How to back up a Thinkpad hard drive to external drive?
My Thinkpad arrived, and the 40 Gb drive has only 30 Gb useable, the rest apparently being devoted to a hidden partition used for system recovery. Is there any site out there which explains just how this partition is laid out, and how one would go about backing up the entire drive? Or, do you have to back up the hidden partition separately from the one labeled "IBM_PRELOAD (C:)"? Apparently there is 10 GB of reserved space on the drive. I was wondering how others handle their backups. I now use a large external firewire drive to back up all the other machines to separate partit...

How to install Debian into Notebook that use external floppy drive and external CDROM drive
Hi all, I have downloaded Debian Installation CDROMs and plan to install it into my notebook computer. My notebook use one USB external floppy disk drive and one PCMCIA CDROM drive, but unfortunately, my notebook's BIOS only support external floppy drive booting, it can't boot from PCMCIA CDROM drive. Therefore, I only can use the boot disks made from rescue.bin, root.bin....etc. My problem is while I successfully booted from the rescue floppy disk, it prompted me to insert a root floppy, but after I inserted it, the installation program didn't recognize my USB...

can I use desktop hard drive as external laptop drive?
Hi. My mom gave me her old compaq presario 1200 because my desktop motherboard burnt out and I couldn't afford to fix it. The hard drive in my laptop is very small, and all of my old files are still on the hard drive from my desktop, which still is in good condition. Is there a way to connect the old hard drive (it's an internal drive)to my laptop? thanks, Kristie yes, get an external drive box for about $40, they make in USB or FWire connection, or both. I did it, works great. -- Dennis Savatski "Kristie" <kjd183@psu.edu> wrote in message news:8c9b4541.0401221503...

PC on Mac external drive...can it be done???
i have an eMac with 40gb hard drive (hard drive built in the monitor). i just picked up a 120gb external hard drive to plug in the usb ports to add extra hard drive space. the external hard drive can be formatted for either a pc or a mac. i was wondering...if i formatted the new external 120gb hard drive for Pc use and installed Windows XP (or 2000/98) on it, would this be able to run through my mac internal 40gb hard dive and show up and run as a true windows XP operating system run off the new external hard drive?? or is a mac simply going to run as a mac only..regardless of attempting thi...

Jump Drive/external drive
novice question, My external usb maxtor drive is dead. Why would I buy another when I can buy a jump drive? tina <freshairtraining@aol.com> wrote > novice question, > My external usb maxtor drive is dead. Why would > I buy another when I can buy a jump drive? The obvious difference is the size. An exernal USB drive is a lot bigger, and much cheaper per GB. No big deal if say you only need 2GB or something, but if you need say 200G for a full backup of the system, its much cheaper and much faster with a USB external drive. ...

PC on Mac external drive...can it be done??? #2
i have an eMac with 40gb hard drive (hard drive built in the monitor). i just picked up a 120gb external hard drive to plug in the usb ports to add extra hard drive space. the external hard drive can be formatted for either a pc or a mac. i was wondering...if i formatted the new external 120gb hard drive for Pc use and installed Windows XP (or 2000/98) on it, would this be able to run through my mac internal 40gb hard dive and show up and run as a true windows XP operating system run off the new external hard drive?? or is a mac simply going to run as a mac only..regardless of attempting thi...

backing up to external drive
Hi My wife has an iMac (OS 9), I have a PC (grounds for divorce, I know!!) I have bought a firewire external hard drive and divided it into two partitions - aiming at backing up my PC on one, and the iMac on the other. The PC half is formatted NTFS, so the iMac doesn't even see it - fine! The other half is FAT32 formatted, and the iMac sees it. Three questions now please: 1. Do I need to reformat the FAT32 partition in a "Mac" way - if so, how? 2. If I were to leave the FAT32 partition as it is, and simply copy data files to it (and then copy back to the iMac should the need...

Can I share an external firewire hard drive between 2 OSX macs?
Can I share an external firewire hard drive between 2 OSX macs? If so, how? Thanks in advance for your help. Regards, Sep In article <290e0a5f.0311141339.1f7ae1e7@posting.google.com>, sep@riotech.com (Sep) wrote: > Can I share an external firewire hard drive between 2 OSX macs? If > so, how? Thanks in advance for your help. > > Regards, > > Sep Share as in at the same time. No! File corruption will result. If you mean, plug it into one system, then unplug it and plug it into a different system. Sure. If both systems are plugged in ...

Backing up an external drive.
Is there a way to program the Time Machine to also back up an external drive? I am using ver. 10.6.6 Thank you. In article <4ckj8g.5pc.19.1@news.alt.net>, James Hopone <nospanjames.hopone@yahoo.com> wrote: > Is there a way to program the Time Machine to also back up an external > drive? I am using ver. 10.6.6 > Thank you. You can add any disk to the Time Machine backup. Just configure it in the Time Machine preferences. -- DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee! NO! Dee... [I filter all Goggle Groups posts, so any reply may be automatically ignored] I...

Backing Up to an External Drive
Hello, After reading posts here concerning backing up my system, I have decided to purchase an external drive to backup my whole hard drive rather than just copying selected folders on to thumb drives. Some of the external drives that I am looking at state that "mac users may have to reformat the drive before using". How would I do that? -- Paul Goodman In article <2010062818532637090-goodmanp@comcastnet>, Paul Goodman <goodmanp@comcast.net> wrote: > After reading posts here concerning backing up my system, I have decided > to purchase a...

Recovering data from dead Thinkpad- Connect hard drive externally to another computer?
Hi All, My Thinkpad A22m just died recently. I have read some discussions on how it might be revived, but I'm not crossing my fingers. Since it's old, i'm not too concerned about the computer, but i never backed up my data except for 2 years ago... (i know it's horrible). Anyways, it's not a hard drive problem- it's that the computer won't turn on. My question is, is there a way of connecting to the hard drive externally and plugging it into another computer so I can back up this hard drive onto the other computer's hard drive? I think there are kits but I...

Maxtor external drive: drive not recognized
FYI If you would like to replace the drive inside an external Maxtor enclosure (e.g. 5000LE etc), be careful in aligning the internal EIDE connector. It's easy to be 1 pin off and then the drive will not be recognized by your computer. I replaced succesfully a 80Gb drive with another 120Gb Maxtor drive. Opening the case voids warranty. Regards, DD. ...

Web resources about - Can Super Duper back up data on external drive to another external drive? - comp.sys.mac.apps

Externals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
All of the Externals were originally portrayed as immortal and important, playing an extremely major role in the future and Apocalypse 's rise ...

Vatican orders external audit of assets - AdelaideNow Search Search
THE Vatican has ordered the first external audit of its assets as part of a drive by Pope Francis to bring transparency to its finances where ...

Vatican orders external audit of assets
The Vatican has ordered the first external audit of its assets as part of a drive by Pope Francis to bring transparency to its finances, where ...

Vatican orders external audit of assets
THE Vatican has ordered the first external audit of its assets as part of a drive by Pope Francis to bring transparency to its finances where ...

Sad decline of West Indies cricket can't be arrested without external help
The great West Indian cricket dynasty of the mid-1970s to the mid-1990s produced some of the finest cricketers of the 20th century.

9to5Toys Lunch Break: WD 2TB External HDD $69, BRAVEN Bluetooth Speaker $75, Amazon Prime $73 this weekend ...
... us out on: Twitter , RSS Feed , Facebook , Google+ and Safari push notifications . TODAY’S CAN’T MISS DEALS: WD Elements 2TB USB 3.0 External ...

ASUS Booth Tour at CES 2016: 10G Switches, External GPU Dock, USB-C Monitor and more
When ASUS emailed a couple of weeks before CES announcing that they had cancelled their press event for the show, we had a few question marks. ...

Review: Mophie Juice Pack Reserve for iPhone 6/6s & Power Reserve 1X external battery
Battery maker Mophie's latest portable charging accessories are compact, convenient and durable, making them an easy recommendation for anyone ...

CleanMyDrive 2 for Mac makes cleaning external drives as easy as one click
... OS X 10.10 or later. It’s a free tool designed to help users monitor their hard drives and quickly clean unspecified junk files from external ...

Amazon Black Friday sale: Big discounts available now on 4 external hard drives
... here's a perfect example: from now all the way through December 5th, Amazon is offering discounts of up to 43% on four different Seagate external ...