Can't import Thunderbird mail into Mail.app

Hello,

I recently switched from Win to MacBook Pro, and I'm trying to get all
my emails over to the new box.

On Win I had Thunderbird, and I managed to import all of my stuff
straight into Mac Thunderbird: just drop the same profile folder in the
right place and that's it, no need to convert/import anything, my stuff
was there!

Now, there's no way to import from Mac Thunderbird over into Mail.app.
Whatever option I choose when importing (Eudora, Netscape/Mozilla,
Other, whatever) it will let me browse to the Mac Thunderbird
folder/files, but when I'm in there all the files appear to be dummy
like if I had no permission to select it.

That's one of the possible causes listed in the Mail.app help, but when
I checked I found that I have full ownership/permission on those files.
Of course I'd add, since I manage the same files with a different
application (Mac Thunderbird) but with the same account (myself).

Anybody has a clue?

Thanks
Roberto
Genova
Italy
0
Roberto

You need to navigate to the files in the library entry for Thundebird
and then drag the various mailboxes (inbox, trash, etc to your desktop
- be sure to drag them with option down so as to make a copy and not
just move the folders. Once there you need to add the .mbox extension
to the folders and hit enter (you will be prompted if youwant ot change
the extension if you did it right).  You can then go to the Mac mail
app and import this mailbox if you select 'other' during the import.
There still are some times when this does not work and what I would
suggest then is to put some money for a great app called Email Alchemy.
 It is $28 but works well and under its advanced settings managed to
rescue an mail folder I had totally screwed up when trying to import it
from Thunderbird to Mac Mail.
Roberto wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently switched from Win to MacBook Pro, and I'm trying to get all
> my emails over to the new box.
>
> On Win I had Thunderbird, and I managed to import all of my stuff
> straight into Mac Thunderbird: just drop the same profile folder in the
> right place and that's it, no need to convert/import anything, my stuff
> was there!
>
> Now, there's no way to import from Mac Thunderbird over into Mail.app.
> Whatever option I choose when importing (Eudora, Netscape/Mozilla,
> Other, whatever) it will let me browse to the Mac Thunderbird
> folder/files, but when I'm in there all the files appear to be dummy
> like if I had no permission to select it.
>
> That's one of the possible causes listed in the Mail.app help, but when
> I checked I found that I have full ownership/permission on those files.
> Of course I'd add, since I manage the same files with a different
> application (Mac Thunderbird) but with the same account (myself).
>
> Anybody has a clue?
>

> Thanks
> Roberto
> Genova