Can't install Kensington software--"Access denied"

I recently put an additional hard drive in my Mac G4 (Sawtooth), and
everything--data and applications--copied over to the new drive with
only a couple snags.  One problem is that my old Kensington trackball(an
Expert Mouse Pro) wouldn't work properly.  If I booted from the new hard
drive, went to System Preferences, and clicked on Mouseworks, I get a
message saying that the driver isn't running or can't be found.  (The
trackball does work OK if I boot from the old hard drive.)

Kensington sent me a new trackball and installation disk, but when I
tried to install the software, I got a message saying,

   1008:-5000 Access denied error

And when I clicked out of that, another error message said,

   You do not have enough access privileges for this installation.

It's my personal computer, and in the past it's always recognized me as
the Administrator, including for installing new software.  I've never
had this problem before.

I've tried restarting the computer, have tried using both the old and
new trackballs to install Mousewhare, and have tried installing the
software both on the old hard drive (running OS 10.3) and the new one
(running 10.4), but I get the "access denied" error every time.

Also, the new trackball does not move the cursor smoothly in a
horizontal direction, although maybe that's because the software has not
been installed.

Although Kensington was nice enough to send the new trackball, they
haven't responded to my querries about this problem.

If anyone can give me some advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Richard
0
Richard
3/12/2006 9:15:31 PM
comp.sys.mac.apps 21416 articles. 2 followers. xxx613 (1334) is leader. Post Follow

Are you logged into your Administrator account on this machine.  Is
there more than one user account ?  Go to System Preferences and pick
Accounts under system.  Are you logged into an account marked Admin.

You might try this first while booted off you new disk to run
Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility.  Pick your current system disk
and then pick First Aid.  Pick Repair Disk Permissions. This set up
your new Disk correctly. Note you will need your Administrator account
name and password to do this.

Next log in as the Administrator and try your driver install from that
account.

--jim

0
vze35xda