Computers V People

Computers perform many jobs that previously were performed by people.
Will computer-based transactions and expanded e-commerce eventually
replace person-to-person contact?  From a customer's point of view,
which is better?  Why or why not?

comp.sys.mac.apps 21416 articles. 2 followers. xxx613 (1334) is leader. Post Follow

In article <1180706892.830880.30280@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
Neicy <carmel.mccain@gmail.com> wrote:

> Computers perform many jobs that previously were performed by people.
> Will computer-based transactions and expanded e-commerce eventually
> replace person-to-person contact?  From a customer's point of view,
> which is better?  Why or why not?

This subject is off-topic for comp.sys.mac.apps
7
Dave
6/1/2007 3:10:55 PM
On 2007-06-01 07:08:12 -0700, Neicy <carmel.mccain@gmail.com> said:

> Will computer-based transactions and expanded e-commerce eventually
> replace person-to-person contact?

For many things, yes.

> From a customer's point of view, which is better?

It depends on the consumer. Some are different.

> Why or why not?

They came from different parents.
--
Thank you and have a nice day.

2
gtr
6/1/2007 4:21:34 PM
In article <1180706892.830880.30280@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
 Neicy <carmel.mccain@gmail.com> wrote:

> Computers perform many jobs that previously were performed by people.
> Will computer-based transactions and expanded e-commerce eventually
> replace person-to-person contact?  From a customer's point of view,
> which is better?  Why or why not?

Seems someone has an end-of-class project report to write.

--
JJW
2
Neicy wrote:
> Computers perform many jobs that previously were performed by people.
> Will computer-based transactions and expanded e-commerce eventually
> replace person-to-person contact?  From a customer's point of view,
> which is better?  Why or why not?

Are you a software?
2
Clever
6/1/2007 6:10:43 PM
In article <1180706892.830880.30280@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
 Neicy <carmel.mccain@gmail.com> wrote:

> Computers perform many jobs that previously were performed by people.
> Will computer-based transactions and expanded e-commerce eventually
> replace person-to-person contact?  From a customer's point of view,
> which is better?  Why or why not?

Thank you for your interest in Acme Corp's products.

Please hold the line. One of our representatives will be with you
shortly.

Have nice day.

--
Paul Sture
In article <1180706892.830880.30280@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
 Neicy <carmel.mccain@gmail.com> wrote:

> Computers perform many jobs that previously were performed by people.
> Will computer-based transactions and expanded e-commerce eventually
> replace person-to-person contact?  From a customer's point of view,
> which is better?  Why or why not?

There's no one size fits all answer. I do as many transactions via the
web as I can and I don't miss the old fashioned way. For example,
banking. I do everything possible involving banking such as bill
payment, monitoring my accounts, etc. online. I don't miss going to the
bank at all and the inevitable waiting in a line.

Same with booking travel arrangements, buying many goods and services,
etc. For travel, I would say that brick & mortar travel agencies are
rapidly becoming a thing of the past; the few travel agencies left are
doing the smart thing which is catering to group and corporate travel.

Which is better? Depends on who you ask. To my 72 year old dad, he
refuses to do online banking and so does my 41 year old sister. My dad
and my sister both like to see a person at the bank. Neither will even
use an ATM for depositing money; it has to be done in person. For my
sister, who is self-employed, that makes no sense because she has a bad
habit of carrying around checks from clients in her purse and not
depositing them for weeks. She even had her purse stolen with well over
$1,000 in checks sitting in it that she could have easily deposited at
an ATM that's literally steps from her office. My dad likes to invest in
CDs, yet he refuses to invest in a CD online even though he knows it
would allow him to earn more money by availing himself of better rates
at out-of-town banks. Oh well. To each his own.

For me, I get one pay check a month and its direct deposited. I can't
even remember the last time I did anything inside a brick & mortar bank.
All of my banking is done online.

I do a lot of my shopping online too; no lines, ability to comparison
shop easily, get descriptions and reviews of products I want, etc. all
at my convenience from the comfort of my home. I am expecting to need to
replace my car in the next year and I fully expect to do a large amount
of shopping for it online via one of the online car buying services.

The only type of product I don't like buying online is clothing. I am a
weird size in pants, so I have to try on anything I buy, plus I need to
be able to feel the texture of the material and see how the pants look
on me, which means online shopping is out. I tried online shopping for
pants and I was just not happy with what I got. I would buy other
clothes online though, but I figure that since I shop for pants in
traditional stores, its no big deal for me to go over to the shirts
section to look at those two, as well as pick up other items such as
perhaps a belt, underwear, etc. I only go clothes shopping two or three
times a year anyway.

Because I am an electronics gadget freak, I also like occasionally going
to stores such as CompUSA and Best Buy to look around, but if I were
going to buy any big ticket item such as a TV, odds are, it will be
online to save money and avoid having to schlep the item home.
5
Shawn
6/2/2007 11:18:37 AM
In article <010620070910551550%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>,
 Dave Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:

> In article <1180706892.830880.30280@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
> Neicy <carmel.mccain@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Computers perform many jobs that previously were performed by people.
> > Will computer-based transactions and expanded e-commerce eventually
> > replace person-to-person contact?  From a customer's point of view,
> > which is better?  Why or why not?
> >

> This subject is off-topic for comp.sys.mac.apps

Why?
0
Shawn
6/2/2007 11:19:19 AM
Shawn Hirn <srhi@comcast.net> wrote:

> > This subject is off-topic for comp.sys.mac.apps
>
> Why?

Well, for starters, it isn't about Macintosh applications.

--
<http://designsbymike.info/shop/mac.cgi> Mac and geek T-shirts & gifts
<http://designsbymike.info/shop/musings.cgi> Muckraking T-shirts
Rosenberg <mikePOST@TOGROUPmacconsult.com> wrote:

> Shawn Hirn <srhi@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > > This subject is off-topic for comp.sys.mac.apps
> >
> > Why?
>
> Well, for starters, it isn't about Macintosh applications.

Yeah. What he said.

The proper way to have an off-topic thread in comp.sys.mac.apps is to
start with something at least vaguely on-topic and wait 32 minutes for
the drift.

The OP is obviously unfamiliar with the group and should have lurked a
while before posting.

And now, I have to get ready to move 10 yards of topsoil using only two
teenagers. See you later.
0
Dave
6/2/2007 1:52:19 PM
Dave Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:

> > Well, for starters, it isn't about Macintosh applications.
>
> Yeah. What he said.
>
> The proper way to have an off-topic thread in comp.sys.mac.apps is to
> start with something at least vaguely on-topic and wait 32 minutes for
> the drift.

Or, in some cases, 32 seconds...

> The OP is obviously unfamiliar with the group and should have lurked a
> while before posting.

I believe the OP is a student trying to get us to write a term paper for
him or her.

> And now, I have to get ready to move 10 yards of topsoil using only two
> teenagers. See you later.

ONLY two teenagers?

--
<http://designsbymike.info/shop/mac.cgi> Mac and geek T-shirts & gifts
<http://designsbymike.info/shop/musings.cgi> Muckraking T-shirts
<http://designsbymike.info/shop/prius.cgi> Prius shirts/bumper stickers
<http://comedancing.biz> Ballroom dance shirts & gifts
0
mikePOST
6/2/2007 1:58:04 PM
On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 09:52:19 -0400, Dave Balderstone wrote:

> And now, I have to get ready to move 10 yards of topsoil using only two
> teenagers. See you later.

You should also use a shovel or two, and maybe a wheelbarrow, IMHO.

--
Joey DoWop Dee
Remember: It is To Laugh

0
Joey
6/2/2007 2:01:30 PM
On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 07:19:19 -0400, Shawn Hirn wrote
(in article <srhi-633F88.07191902062007@newsgroups.comcast.net>):

> In article <010620070910551550%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>,
>  Dave Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:
>
>> In article <1180706892.830880.30280@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
>> Neicy <carmel.mccain@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Computers perform many jobs that previously were performed by people.
>>> Will computer-based transactions and expanded e-commerce eventually
>>> replace person-to-person contact?  From a customer's point of view,
>>> which is better?  Why or why not?
>>>

>> This subject is off-topic for comp.sys.mac.apps
>
> Why?

1 it does not mention Macs

2 it does not mention applications

3 it appears to be a high-school level term paper question.

On 2007-06-02 08:52:19 -0500, Dave Balderstone
<dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> said:

> And now, I have to get ready to move 10 yards of topsoil using only two
> teenagers. See you later.

.... *whip crack*

; D

--
JR

0
Jolly

com.sys.mac.apps
www.freeservice6.blogspot.com ...

Mac
Hi, I have written a service to launch our wxWidgets Application when the user selects the menu item in the Services menu. The wxWidgets Application is configured to accept command line parameters when starting from the terminal window. I am launching the wxWidgets Application using Mac Launch Services call LSOpenFromURLSpec. I created an apple event descriptor (AEDesc) and added the parameters to pass into the AEDesc for the launch spec. This is not working, the application will launch but the parameters are ignored. Do I need to add an impementation in the wxMyApp::MacOpenFile to...

PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy
Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: (excuse the mispronunciation; punny licence) It seems that Mac OS X has partially documented issues (http://altair.ific.uv.es/~JaxoDraw/Bugparade/bugparade.htm, http://developer.apple.com/java/faq/issues.html#anchor6) with the generation of EPS, and I'm trying to find a workaround. The Preview application cannot export to eps, but it can read it (converting it to PDF). If I use Adobe Acrobat to read the PDF generated by Preview, the EPS it generates sometimes (inconsistently) causes dvips to make an unreadable file. What I'm trying to do is the followi...

change mac address get mac address spoofing mac address find computer by mac address
Mac Address Spoofing Report Victor J. Canny D. Abstract: Mac address can uniquely identifies each node of a network, ISPs and network administrators use mac address to manage their pc users. PC users may want to spoof mac address so that he need not to contact with ISP for a new network interface card (NIC); PC users may want to hide his mac address so that totally hide his information on the internet. Introduction Mac address, short for Media Access Control address, is a hardware address that uniquely identifies each node of a network. It means, in a local area network (LAN) or oth...

.mac web-based v desktop apps
I assumed .mac was about having access to web-based email, calendar, contacts etc and being able to sync data with the desktop clients in os x. So for example, I'm outside and want to make an appointment in my calendar so I go to an internet cafe, logon to my .mac account, create the entry in the online version of my calendar then when I get home I sync it with my iCal (?) on my mac. Can I do this with .mac? I have a trial account for .mac and I can't see anything like this. Maybe it's not available for trial accounts. Am I missing something? Or is it designed for users with more ...

FREE MINI MAC Computer (From the same people who brought you FREE IPODS!)
DO YOU WANT A FREE COMPUTER? Click Here: http://www.FreeMiniMacs.com/?r=14246988 **From the same people that gave me and my friends free IPODS!, it's FREE MiniMacs.com.** By now, everyone knows the Gratis Network is legit, and gettting your free MINI MAC is easy as 1, 2, 3. All you have to do is join, complete an online offer, and refer friends to do the same. That's it! This company has given away over 4 million dollars in free gifts, shipping always included. None of my friends believed it would work, but in the past 8-12 months, we've ALL received free IPODS. Now, it'...

[...]

FREE MINI MAC Computer (From the same people who brought you FREE IPODS!) #2
DO YOU WANT A FREE COMPUTER? Click Here: http://www.FreeMiniMacs.com/?r=14246988 **From the same people that gave me and my friends free IPODS!, it's FREE MiniMacs.com.** By now, everyone knows the Gratis Network is legit, and gettting your free MINI MAC is easy as 1, 2, 3. All you have to do is join, complete an online offer, and refer friends to do the same. That's it! This company has given away over 4 million dollars in free gifts, shipping always included. None of my friends believed it would work, but in the past 8-12 months, we've ALL received free IPODS. Now, it'...

Speed-Up.app from Mac App Store
Has anyone purchased, or know anything about, Speed-Up.app, which is available from the Mac App Store? (This is not an iPhone app.) It looks like it would be useful to me for playing back songs in iTunes at variable speeds, but I can't find any documentation for it to even see how it works. The Mac App Store info says it works with 10.5+, but it hasn't been updated since Jan 2011. The link to "Speed-Up Support" is broken but it does get you to a site that advertises Speed-Up as an iTunes plug-in. However, there's remarkably little there about Speed-Up, s...

mac app store apps dl limits
Was thinking about picking up an app or two or three (pages, numbers and find any file). Apple person at the store said the Apple apps aren't just one system per buy but thought there was some sort of limit. Is this a app store variable, an app variable or what? And would anyone know what the deal is on the above mentioned apps is? Would re-installing software require a deauth before hand? In article <l5c6qq$tfa$1@dont-email.me>, M. John Matlaw <nouser@invalid.com> wrote: > Was thinking about picking up an app or two or three (pages, numbers and > fi...

Comments about Mac -- Rookie to Mac but Oldie to Computers
Hi all, When OSX was released a couple of years ago, I noticed all the Switch commercials on TV and on Apple's website. At that point I'd not touched a Mac since using the Mac Classics back in high school (early '90s), but being a Linux guy I thought it'd be interesting to check OSX out. The one major fault I saw in Pre OSX Mac's was a lack of a good command line, but that's no longer any issues with FreeBSD under Darwin. So last year when a friend of mine wanted to upgrade to a more powerful Mac, I took the opportunity to purchase his PowerMac G4 (dual 867/768 Mb/R...

Computer Science v. Computer Information Systems
http://www.humboldt.edu/~csdept/programs/index.html has a couple of programs, Computer Science and Computer Information Systems. Which program should I take in order to understand what you guys are talking about?? I know Robert W. is self taught. Do most programmers have some academic background. It fascinates me but I have no clue what you're talking about. :) It doesn't matter. If you want to know about computers, take every course you can get your hands on--univeristy, community college, whatever. Learn all the languages, learn all about hardware, take networking. Learn abou...

Best computer-based sampler for a Mac computer?
What is the best computer-based sampler for a Mac computer? I myself have a PC-based system, and have heard if GigaStudio for the PC, but am considering getting a Mac system, and am not familiar with the available options for Mac. Thanks in advance. In article <3l63215klkbo0jufot1dp8p6ls21d02s6e@4ax.com>, fan <fan@fan.com> wrote: > What is the best computer-based sampler for a Mac computer? > > I myself have a PC-based system, and have heard if GigaStudio for the > PC, but am considering getting a Mac system, and am not familiar with > the available options for Mac. I'm a serious Mac convert for several personal reasons I won't rant about here, heh heh, but this little beauty is probably high on the list of Serious Contenders. It compares very favorably with GigaStudio in some key areas and it won't break the bank. If you have a modest G4 with at least a gig of RAM, its viable and if you have a G5 with MORE, its especially seductive. http://www.sweetwater.com/feature/machfive/ http://www.motu.com/products/software/machfive/body.html/en http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar04/articles/performernotes.htm -- HellPope Huey Praise the Lord and pass the gallstones God appoints our graces to be nurses to other men's weaknesses. - Henry Ward Beecher "Every time Jesus shuts a door, He opens a window." "Yeah, so we have something to jump out of." - "Sa...

Best app. to run PC apps through Mac?
Have two Macs (OS 9.2.2) networked with a Compaq. I need to run the PC's IE remotely via my Mac (as a client). DAVE seems soley devoted to file sharing. Again, running OS 9.2.2 so can't take advantage of Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac. Any suggestions? "eMac" <dcallaha@infionline.net> wrote in message news:1ggyxoc.9se1o61ha5ki0N%dcallaha@infionline.net... > Have two Macs (OS 9.2.2) networked with a Compaq. I need to run the > PC's IE remotely via my Mac (as a client). DAVE seems soley devoted to > file sharing. Again, running OS 9.2.2 so ...

Opening a doc on Mac A using an app on Mac B?
Macs A and B are on the same LAN, and both have copies of a certain app. The master file or doc created by that app is stored only on Mac A, and most of the time is opened, modified, and re-saved using the copy of that app on Mac A. Is there any single-click way that one could sometimes open this file that's on Mac A from the Mac B keyboard __using the copy of the app that's on Mac B__; modify it using the Mac B copy; and re-save it on Mac A? Obviously I'm trying to avoid the complexities of having to keep duplicate copies on the doc on Macs A and B and then somehow keep ...

Sort of a Mac app, really, it's for a Mac
I have a copy of Vista to install on my new MacBook Pro Duo, but I hesitate to do it, because my neighbors' wifis are always on (very convenient as a back-up to my DSL) and I fear the Windows partition being invaded by malware. Is there an anti-malware program I can download and install simultaneously with Vista? Exactly how do I do that or do the next best alternative to simultaneous installation? Am I being panicky? I haven't used any kind of a Windows program since SoftWindows 95, which was pure macware. --- ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=====+=====+=====+==...

New Released Games for Mac in Mac App Store
Hi Guys, Dumadu Games had released a series of new games for Mac. Have a try and let us know how do you feel about the game. We would feel happy if you guys give a suggestion. Here goes the list of the games : Cricket Link : goo.gl/aagVZ Pop Chop Link : goo.gl/MSAu2 Twitty Link : goo.gl/sbxsk Icy Bouncy Link : goo.gl/UPG1L Thanks. ...

New Released Games for Mac in Mac App Store
Hi Guys, Dumadu Games had released a series of new games for Mac. Have a try and let us know how do you feel about the game. We would feel happy if you guys give a suggestion. Here goes the list of the games : Cricket Link : goo.gl/aagVZ Pop Chop Link : goo.gl/MSAu2 Twitty Link : goo.gl/sbxsk Icy Bouncy Link : goo.gl/UPG1L Thanks. ...

Hovsepian: Apps! Apps! Apps!
Novell CEO: Apps Are Job No. 1 for Linux http://www.cio-today.com/story.xhtml?story_id=021001VE8HV3 <<< In order for Linux to grow into the computing mainstream, the open- source OS needs more applications and a standardized approach to software certification, Novell CEO Ron Hovsepian said in his keynote Wednesday at the LinuxWorld conference and trade show in San Francisco. "The No. 1 thing that we need on Linux is applications," he said. "Whether we like it or not, the application is what drives the final customer decision," he added. >>> John Bail...

Wondershare DVD Creator for Mac is available on Mac App Store
Wondershare DVD Creator for Mac is now available on Mac App Store with discount price $39.99. It is a creative DVD Video and DVD photo slide show application. It can convert videos to DVDs from popular videos like AVI, MPG, MPEG, MP4, WMV, MOV, MKV, FLV, etc. with 90+ preset free DVD menu templates. Besides, this DVD creator allows you to make slideshows and edit videos such as trim, crop, rotate videos, add watermarks, etc. Top Key Features: 1. Burn All Regular Video Formats to DVD. It can burn all regular video formats like MOV, MKV, MP4, AVI, WMV, MTS, HD videos, Flv files etc. ...

Wondershare Video Converter for Mac Is Available On Mac App Store

Wondershare Photo Recovery for Mac is Available on Mac App Store

sys.mac
Dear Friend, I have found some websites: for msn messenger, http://www.hotmailpk.com/ For entertainment,spotlight.articles,interviews,dailyupdate htttp://www.familyandtwist.com/ for sms messeges, smsjokes, http://www.smstwist.com/ for articles,entertainment,beauty tips,news,showbiz and fashion http://www.familypk.com Visit these websites: Thanks ...

Web resources about - Computers V People - comp.sys.mac.apps

Computer Show

Tiny, blurry pictures find the limits of computer image recognition
(credit: Thomas Tolkien ) Computers have started to get really good at visual recognition. They can sometimes rival humans at recognizing the ...

Find out if your computer can handle VR with Valve’s free performance test
... your hardware is up to snuff. This week, Valve released a free SteamVR Performance Test on Steam to give users a chance to diagnose their computers ...

Here's why it's so tough for computers to run virtual reality
... tougher than that. Some virtual reality programs are low resolution, others can make people feel motion sick, and it takes a hefty computer ...

No patent if invention lies only in computer program, says Indian Patent Office
The Indian Patent Office has come out with a new guideline for its officials to follow when deciding on applications related to software and ...

Hackers could "mousejack" your computer
A security flaw in millions of wireless computer mice could give hackers a way in to steal personal data

Computer science could become graduation requirement for CPS students
Chicago Public Schools officials said Monday they are ready to move ahead with an initiative long-touted by Mayor Rahm Emanuel to make computer ...

Court to FBI: No spying on in-car computers
The FBI and other police agencies may not eavesdrop on conversations inside automobiles equipped with OnStar or similar dashboard computing systems, ...